Pastrami on rye, a Dr. Brown, and oh yeah, one of those black and whites…

Q. Where can you get great deli food, if you don’t live in/near a city?

A. Nowhere. At least nowhere here in King Arthur’s home in the Upper Valley of Vermont, that river bottomland where the Connecticut River divides Vermont from New Hampshire, about midway up the two states’ common border.

Sure, we have bagel shops. Even a newly opened spot called “New York Bagels and Café,” right there in the shopping plaza next to J.C. Penney and Kohl’s and Sears.

But REAL deli?

Fuggedaboutit.

I mean, I was excited when I heard about NY Bagels. But one look at their menu dashed my hopes: BLT on white toast with mayo; chicken fingers, and minestrone soup didn’t hit my hot button like, oh, chopped liver and half-sours and brisket and whitefish salad.

Not to be too hard on them – they do in fact offer corned beef, pastrami, and Russian dressing. And a nice selection of bagels. But a potato knish, or cissel rye? As I mentioned earlier:

Fuggedaboutit.

Our Web director, Halley, goes home to Cleveland when she wants real deli. Jim, our Web architect, goes to Philly. Me? I go to Boston.

Or I bring the deli experience home to the Upper Valley by making Black and White Cookies, the NYC deli dessert of choice. I never saw Seinfeld (Yes! True! I never saw Seinfeld, OK?!), but apparently Jerry made these cookies semi-famous.

Not that they weren’t already. I’ve been enjoying them since I was a kid growing up outside NYC. Where they were offered at every bakery AND every deli.

When I started baking these at home, I found the experience enlightening: most of the deli and bakery B & W’s I’ve had over the years have been stale – the cookie dry, the icing hard.

Trust me; homemade Black and Whites are SO worth it.

Now, if only I had a recipe for cissel bread (hint, hint)…

img_0965.JPG

What’s the secret ingredient in these cookies, the single most important thing for giving them that real NYC deli taste? Surprisingly – lemon. Lemon and chocolate? I know, it sounds odd, but the tiniest touch of lemon oil in the cookie batter adds a distinct flavor – one that most won’t identify as lemon, but simply as “These taste JUST like the ones I remember from when I was a kid!”

img_0966.JPG

We’ll use just 1/8 teaspoon lemon oil in this big batch of cookies. A set of odd size measuring spoons is a handy tool to have on hand when you need to accurately measure 1/8 teaspoon (or 2/3, or 1 1/2, or 2 teaspoons).

Start by preheating your oven to 400°F, and greasing (or lining with parchment) two large baking sheets.

img_0968.JPG

Beat the following till smooth:

1 cup butter
1 ½ cups granulated sugar
1 ½ teaspoons salt; use 1 teaspoon if you’re using salted butter
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/8 teaspoon lemon oil, or 1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
2 teaspoons vanilla extract

img_0969.JPG

Add 3 large eggs, beating well after each addition.

img_0970.JPG

The batter will get nice and fluffy. Here it is after 1 egg…

img_0971.JPG

…and here it is after 3 eggs.

img_0972.JPG

Add 4 1/2 cups (19 ounces) King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour alternately with 1 cup milk, drizzling the milk in while the mixer is running. Doing it this way helps the batter maintain its volume.

img_0973.JPG

Scoop the batter in barely heaped 1/4-cupfuls onto the prepared baking sheets.

img_0974.JPG

Like this. A muffin scoop is just the right size, and makes nice round balls (which will yield nice round cookies). Am I shilling for this muffin scoop? Has crass commercialism reared its ugly head here? You betcha. It’s useful; it works; I like it.

img_0975.JPG

You can see the baking powder starting to work already. These cookies are light and cake-like.

img_0978.JPG

Leave plenty of room between the balls of dough. I like to put just six on a sheet, so they don’t run into one another.

img_0979.JPG

Use the flat bottom of a measuring cup, or other flat-bottom mug, glass, or cup (flat bottoms are surprisingly difficult to find), to flatten the dough balls to 3″-diameter circles.   It helps to dip the bottom of the cup in water, to prevent sticking.

img_0981.JPG

They don’t have to be perfect, but these look pretty good – if I do say so myself!

img_0982.JPG

3” circles, about 2” to 2 1/2” apart  – that’s your goal.

img_0990.JPG

Bake two sheets of cookies at a time; you’ll have to bake in batches, as the recipe makes 2 dozen cookies.

img_0991.JPG

Did I mention these were light and puffy, more cake- than cookie-like?

img_0984.JPG

Bake the cookies for 10 to 12 minutes, until they’re set, and are perhaps a very light golden brown around the edges. If there’s no sign of brown, that’s OK. Cookies baked for 10 minutes will be quite moist. Cookies baked for 12 minutes will be drier, and more “authentic.” Bake for 11 minutes for an in-between cookie.

img_0988.JPG

Not perfectly round; but neither did they spread into each other, so at least they were spaced right.

img_0987.JPG

I experimented with not flattening the cookies before baking. The one on the left wasn’t flattened; it was thicker than the one on the right. I suggest the extra step of flattening, for the best-looking cookies.

img_0993.JPG

We’re lucky to work in a kitchen with a rolling rack. Plenty of space for four pans of cookies to cool. You might see the numbers on the parchment – I was experimenting with baking times. Yes, we really do TEST in the test kitchen!

img_1004.JPG

While the cookies are cooling, let’s make the icing. First, vanilla – which means you won’t have to wash the bowl between vanilla and chocolate. If you made chocolate first, you’d have to wash the bowl. Lazy (efficient?) bakers always take the easiest route!

Mix the following till smooth:

3 1/3 cups confectioners’ sugar, sifted for the smoothest icing
3 tablespoons light corn syrup
3 tablespoons hot water
3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract

img_0996.JPG

I didn’t sift the confectioners’ sugar, and have to admit, ended up with a few lumps. Next time I’ll sift!

img_1000.JPG

Spread icing on half of each cookie. My fellow test kitchen baker, Andrea, is giving me a hand here – literally! This was one of those times when I needed three hands – to hold the cookie, spread icing, and take the picture.

img_0998.JPG

The icing should spread nicely. If it’s too thick, add a tiny bit more hot water.

img_1001.JPG

Let the cookies set for at least 30 minutes.

img_1005.JPG

When the vanilla icing has set, make the chocolate icing.

Combine the following, stirring till smooth:

2 2/3 cups confectioners’ sugar, sifted for the smoothest icing
3 tablespoons light corn syrup
3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 cup hot water
1/4 teaspoon espresso powder, optional

img_1003.JPG

Next, put 3/4 cup semisweet or bittersweet chocolate (chips, or chunks), in a microwave-safe bowl.

img_1006.JPG

Melt, stirring till smooth.

img_1007.JPG

Here’s your confectioners’ sugar mixture…

img_1008.JPG

…and here it is with the chocolate added. PLOP.

img_1009.JPG

Beat till smooth. Now that is one gorgeous icing!

img_1011.JPG

Spread the chocolate icing on the bare halves of the cookies. Be generous; you’ll have plenty.

img_1016.JPG

Place them back on the rack to set.

img_1031.JPG

Here’s a cross section. See what I mean by a cake-like cookie? I generally don’t like this type of cookie, but it’s absolutely perfect here.

img_1026.JPG

Oh yeah…  2 dozen big (4”), beautiful Black and Whites!

Jerry – eat your heart out!

Read, rate, and review (please!) our recipe for Black and White Cookies.

Buy vs. Bake

Buy: Superior Cake Products Black and White Cookies, 3 ounces each, $1.00 each.

Stop & Shop in-store bakery Black and White Minis, $9.98/lb.

Bake at home: Black and White Cookies, 3 ounces each, 32¢ each; $1.69/lb.

comments

1. Kristin A

I made these for the first time a year ago, a different recipe. it was my first time ever eating a black and white. i wasn’t too happy with the recipe i used so i think ill give them another try using this one.

Btw, I LOVE the Buy vs Bake feature at the end of each post.

2. Alvara

PJ, I want to break into the computer and grab one right out. I have been making black & whites for years. I use a recipe my Mom used to make cupcakes with and I just added a cup more flour. I am going to try your recipe tomorrow. I love it. By the way, my Dad used to say the bakeries used to call these “horses hats”, probably in the 1930’s. Thanks again for all your good recipes. You sure keep all of us bakers busy.

Horse’s hats – now there’s one I’ve never heard of, Alvara! BTW, I’ve heard of Sailor Jacks,but have never been able to fully identify them, nor find a recipe. I think they were some kind of spice muffin from the Seattle area… Have you ever heard of them? PJH

3. Zeke

I can’t wait to make these!! I originally heard them called “half-moon cookies.” Perhaps that was an upstate NY convention. I may have to use lemon zest for these, though lemon oil will be in my next order from KAF!

Zeke, I think they’re half-moon cookies outside NYC – that’s what they are here in rural New England… PJH

4. Janene

I have the same problem, I live in rural Missouri and there is not a deli to be found for miles and miles! Being of Irish descent I can make my own corn beef and being a baker ditto for the bagels. One can not find a true bagel around here much less a bialy, which I fully intend to try my hand at!

5. Sue

We call them half moon cookies here in central NY. They are my Hubby’s absolute favorite! I can’t wait to try your recipe to see if he likes them better than the one I use now. :-)
    Any ideas for pears? I’m buried in them!!!
    thanks,Sue

Ten pear recipes right here, Sue – :) PJH

6. Halyna Liszczynskyj

In the Central NY area these cookies are called Halfmoon Cookies. These are softer then the black & whites of NYC fame. They traditionally have the chocolate bottom but also have the white bottom as well without the lemon flavoring. They are a bit softer and fluffier I think than the Black & Whites of NYC in my opinion. Saveur Magazine published a great recipe for chocolate half moons many years ago from Hemstraught’s Bakery in Utica, NY. Its the original Halfmoon recipe from their bakery and is really good.

Thanks for coming out with a white bottomed half moon recipe. I’m really looking forward to trying it. (w/o the lemon of course).

You can use any color of frosting really. For the holidays, the stores really go to town and mix up the colored frostings. LOL Pink and White,
    Green and White, etc. We even have huge Halfmoon cookie cakes – which are about the size of pizzas (now that is fun!!!). Halfmoons are a way of life around these parts. :)

Halyna

Thanks for the recipe link, Halyna – and the ideas. I can see a chocolate cookie with red and green frosting for Christmas, can’t you? PJH

7. Kimberly D

What about lemon extract instead of lemon oil or lemon zest? Also I think I am making these for my Family History Library Open House, these and my pumpkin spice cookies I think will be a hit. You should make pumpkin spice cookies since fall is around the corner. The trick is I put a little bit of nutmeg in the frosting of my pumpkin spice cookies.
    Also I love a good Pastrami on rye! Another idea how do you make marble rye bread? That could be a good blog too if you have not done it already.

Kimberly, go with the lemon extract, but take it easy – try 1/4 teaspoon, and taste the batter. You should taste just a HINT of lemon. Are your pumpkin spice cookies soft and cakey? Or crunchy? As for marble rye, I’ve been thinking about it lately – it’ll probably bubble to the surface here this winter… PJH

8. Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction

You are right about not being able to get good deli food outside of the city. I love when my hubby and I are traveling in NYC or Boston because I get to eat all of the wonderful city food. I will have to try these cookies, though – I always pick up a few in NYC and they are one of my favorites!

9. Halyna Liszczynskyj

Forgot to mention my favorite variation of the halfmoon cookie which they sell here: white bottom, all fluffy white frosting, covered with a layer of plain white coconut (not toasted).

Divine!!

Halyna :)

Now I am really wanting one… badly LOL Must stop now…

10. Danielle

Just wondering how “set” or firm the 2 icings get?? They look delish!!!

They’re no longer sticky. You could run your finger over them, and they’d be smooth. Underneath, they’re still nice and moist. And yes, they ARE delish! PJH

11. Sue

In my part of the country we don’t have black and whites, or half moon cookies. At least not to my knowledge. I know I’ve never had one. I’ve read about them, but didn’t realize that they were so big, or that they were cakey. Thanks for the educational post!
    BTW, delis are few and far between here too.

Florida, is that where you are, Sue? In my experience, delis are always in the cities… No cities up here, and I DO miss a good deli sandwich! PJH

12. Alissa

Can’t wait to try these. They look great. But speaking of rye breads….Arnold’s bakery makes a rye with everything bagel seasoning on that outside. Just to toss out another idea if you’re trying to upsell your bagel topping mix.

Oh, lovely idea, Alissa – Thanks! PJH

13. Angela

I miss the diners of NYC just as much as the delis. I will have to make these cookies for my kids. They look wonderful. I was never a huge fan of the black and white cookie because they were hard and sometimes tasted stale, but I can tell this recipe delivers the cookie that all black and white cookies aspire to be!

Angela, exactly right – they did tend to be hard and stale. As you can imagine, these are neither – esp. if you don’t over-bake. Enjoy – PJH

14. Mike

For an authentic black and white (or flatcake, as my mom calls them), be sure to put the frosting on the bottom or flat side of the cookie!

15. Lish

We have a wonderful place for deli sandwiches around here, and they make the best grinder bread, really crusty, they are called bricks. But their black and whites were not anything like the ones I love from Boston. These sound terrific, and I can’t wait to introduce my kids to them. Thanks for helping us recreate great memories at home! Now if only I could figure out how to make the perfect grinder roll!

16. Karen

I grew up on Long Island and my sister and I would stop at the bakery on our walk home from school and pick up black and white cookies, napoleons and eclairs (not all in one day!!). Sensory memories………northern California, where I now live, doesn’t have good “delis” or bagels, either.

I made mini black and white cookies one year for a christmas cookie exchange. They were very good, but I will try yours, too.

However, my memories of black and white cookies is that the icing goes on the flat side of the cookie, not the rounded side. The icing was so smooth; it looked similar to a poured fondant type of icing.

Love your blog.

I know that Baltimore’s Berger cookies (very similar, but with all chocolate icing) are frosted on the flat side; but the Black and White’s I’ve had have been frosted on the round site. Here’s to diversity! PJH

17. Cheri

Being a Utica native, I grew up with the Halfmoons from Hemstraught’s bakery. Definitely light, fluffy chocolate bottoms–and the chocolate frosting was very dense and fudgy. It always stuck to the roof of my mouth when I took a bite! Mmmm! I always saved that side for last to make the cookie last longer.

18. Sue

Hi PJ!
    You asked if I’m in FL. Nope. I’m in Minnesota, about 75 miles northwest of Minneapolis. There is a decent bakery about 20 miles from here, but they don’t make black and whites. I guess they aren’t a Midwest thing.
    Sometimes I dream of opening a nice little bakery here, but I don’t think it would fly. There is a big following of inexpensive, store bought, pre-packaged here. Thank goodness I can bake for myself and my family!

Well, Florida couldn’t have been too much farther off…. wow, Land of 10,000 Lakes, huh? It’s good indeed you’re a baker; pre-packaged would get old after awhile (literally, and metaphorically). PJH

19. Ariel

Growing up outside NYC, I had these all the time. My sister would eat the chocolate half and I’d eat the vanilla half – until I grew up and decided chocolate wasn’t so bad after all. I would love to make these! Is there anything to use instead of corn syrup in the icing? I don’t keep it in the house.

You could try honey, Ariel – it might make the white icing more tan, but I’m thinking it would work fine. PJH

20. Linda

Years ago I would buy these at the Elite Cookie Bakery in Rochester, NY. Sadly they closed their doors but they were the best. Last time I bought one at Zarros in Penn Station I was sadly disappointed. Some places buy them frozen and the way you can tell is the icing is thin and very smooth. Not like the ones pictured above. I used to own a bakery so I know the real deal when I see it.

Your are so right about NYC. It is the place to be and has the best to offer. Black and Whites of Halfmoons have been around much longer than Seinfeld. Yet it is good that he got them noticed.

21. Jen in NH

I grew up in Central NY, where it is blasphemy to call these anything other than halfmoon cookies. And if you frost them on the rounded side of the cookie, it’s just wrong. I’ve never seen any bakery, anywhere, do that!

Harrison Bakery in Syracuse makes the best, IMHO. I live in NH now, and still make a point of getting a dozen halfmoons every time I’m home to visit.

It’s just me and my husband, so baking doesn’t happen very often. It would be great if you could offer recipes specially sized to make very small batches.

Well, I guess the upstate New Yorkers and the NYC folks will have to get together and duke this out. Frosted on the top, or bottom? Lemon, or not? Half Moon, or Black and White? Ground rules: there’s no right or wrong here. We celebrate diversity!

As to the small, couple-sized batches – if I had another 24 hours in every day, I’d love to be able to do recipes in two sizes; in fact, I’d love to be able to fulfill everyone’s requests. Seeing as that’s not going to happen, though… I suggest baking and freezing; or baking and sharing. :) PJH

22. Karen

These have become a family tradition. My 5 year old and I make black and whites every equinox. We’ll have to file away this recipe for September 22nd. It’s fun for both of us to get in the kitchen together and have a ‘special’ cookie to make.

23. Nancy

I grew up in Rome, NY, and we also had half-moon cookies. The best ones were from the Cinderella bakery, and I remember them being 4-5″ in diameter, with chocolate bottoms and frosted on the bottom side. I remember the bottoms being rounded. I think that bakery is long gone, but the last time I was in Rome you could get them at the local Dunkin’ Donuts. I’ve had black and whites, and they are definitely not the same animal. Lemon was not in a half-moon cookies I knew.

24. Joanne

Half Moons! Yum! The recipe looks great. I’ve come across quite a few recipes for half moons but don’t recall your secret NY bakery secret ingredient being used (lemon!). I love experiments and this one looks like it will be in my “kitchen lab” very soon!

25. Ursula

Living in the midwest now I rarely see these, but they were a familiar treat growing up in NJ outside NYC. Except… my parents called them “Amerikaner,” having lived in Germany in the postwar years. So they had them in Germany back then. Has anyone else heard this name? My sense is that it was not racist at all, just part of the general admiration back then for all things American– jazz, Hollywood, our casual style, our diversity. (Thanks, Mama & Papa, for admiring the US enough to forsake all and come here where I was born!)

So I wonder when and where these cookies originated?

Ursula, Amerikaner is indeed another common name for these cookies. Apparently, for one of two reasons: 1) these cookies were baked by American GIs in post-war Germany, or 2) it’s a shortened version of a longer name: Ammoniumhydrogencarbonatikaner (or Ammoniakaner), which refers to the baker’s ammonia with which they’re sometimes leavened. Amazing what you can find out by Googling, eh? Thanks for connecting… PJH

26. Deirdre

PJ– There is a wonderful recipe for Sailor Jacks in the KAF Whole Wheat Baking book — it is a favorite recipe in my family (although we usually make it without the icing).

I know, we did do that recipe – I’m just hoping to hear from someone who might know the “authentic” version, because we did a lot of guessing on that one… Thanks, Deirdre- PJH

27. Barbara Mittiga

To Linda — the Elite Bakery in Rochester NY is now a part of Leo’s Bakery in East Rochester. Still making the great cut-outs and halfmoons!

28. Lori

I’m going to try these this week, my first recipe from here. I’m a displaced Queens girl. NYC black and whites definitely have lemon and definitely are frosted on the bottom, flat side of the cookie.

They also make in the bakeries a black and white batter bundt cake with the cookie frosting dizzled over it. If you ever feel motivated to recreate that recipe, I wouldn’t be disappointed, it’s my favorite!!!!

29. Amanda

I’ve never heard of these but they sound fabulous. I agree that sometimes a cakey cookie is a good thing. Love your helpful photos, and yes, we all need a third hand, at least until we can afford a photographer BAHAHA

Yeah, HAHAHA is right, Amanda. I just long for a north window in the kitchen – the trucking stuff back and forth and back and forth and back and forth to the windows at the side of the building to take pictures is often a journey fraught with peril – like, people tend to EAT the goodies while I’ve gone to get a knife or dish towel… PJH

30. AJ

No matter what they might be called in anyplace in the World, these
    look and sound GOOD! I’m putting this recipe next to a wonderful
    chocolate cakey cookie frosted with chocolate frosting(or a glaze)
    I picked up many moons ago called “Man-sized Chocolate Cookies”.
    It was from a men’s column in a magazine….back in…well, never you mind. If nothing else, call them “PJH Specials!

Well, AJ, now you should share that men’s magazine cookie with us. C’mon, no fair tempting and then not sharing! PJH

31. kelly

PJ,
    You mentioned in your response to a comment that you have been searching for a recipe for ‘Sailor Jacks.’ I believe you’ll find one in KA’s ‘Whole Grain Baking’ book; it’s in the muffin section!!

Thanks, I’d forgotten that – though I’d still like to find an “original” recipe, as I believe we did a lot of guessing in that one…. Thanks for connecting, Kelly. PJH

32. Kimberly D

PJH;

My pumpkin spice cookies are cakie. I am going to email you two recipes I have they are both slightly different. Neither one called for frosting but I frosted them. And I forgot to put the pumpkin spice in the cookies so I put it in the frosting and people loved it. Thats why I frosted them and now make them that way, haha! They was a big hit over the chocolate chip cookies I made, oh they got eaten but the pumpkin spice cookies went first. And I had people wanting my recipe.

Also have you ever made cookies from cake mix? I have, they come in handy when you need to make some cookies fast or you just running out of ideas for cookies for a cookie exchange party, haha!

Kimberly, I’ll look forward to your recipes. I love the idea of putting the spice in the icing – it’s so much more apparent there, whereas in the cookie it might get lost. I know I’ve read about cookies from cake mix, but never made them – a timesaver, eh? MaryJane is doing a blog in the near future where you make a pie crust and bake a cake inside the pie crust, with I think a layer of cookie dough under the cake… it’s fun! PJH

33. AJ

PJ I’ll send you my recipe for “man-sized Chocolate Cookies” when I get my file back…it went ‘visiting’. I’ve already got ideas on how to kick-it-
    up a notch after reading this blog for a year…part of it has to do with expresso powder, LOL. I’d like to see a KAF/PJH spin on it though.
    The recipe dates from the early 80’s and could use a “makeover” even
    though it’s plenty good “as is”.
    Where should I send it?

Thanks, AJ – when the wandering file returns, send it to pj.hamel@kingarthurflour.com. I’m assuming electronic? If not, mail to me at KAF, 58 Billings Farm Rd., White River Junction, VT 05001. Can’t wait to see it! PJH

34. Irene

These look great! I’m also an ex-NYer and miss those black and whites, real bagels, and good hand sliced lox. One thing I’ve noticed w/ black and whites is that they seem to ice the underside of the cookie, so the flat part is iced and it sits on its rounded un-iced top.

I must have been used to eating New England Half Moons, I guess… all the ones I see around the Boston area are iced on the rounded part. Again – we celebrate diversity! PJH

35. Olga

I grew up in Queens, NY. I remember the black & whites being iced on the rounded side, not the flat side!

Well, I guess Queens goes its own way, then, as far as NYC is concerned. I tell you, frosting the round vs. flat side is one “controversy” I never imagined with these cookies… Thanks for adding your 2¢, Olga! PJH

36. Linda P.

Years ago there was a little cookie bakery in Rochester, NY called “ELITE”. They had the best cookies. Sadly they went out of business a few years ago. Their half moons were the so good. Yours look so inviting. I gave up on the ones you can buy in Penn Station NYC because they are hard and dry. The icing is thin and like paste. I am sure they are commercially made.

37. Joan

Halyna — thank you thank you THANK YOU. I too am from Utica — and grew up on Hemstrought’s halfmoon cookies — I have had them from every bakery I can find and have never found them to be as good — with the exception of the Gingerbread Bakery in Sauquiot NY — possibly because the men used to work at Hemstroughts and have the recipe! I know what I am making this evening!!

38. Tammy

I love your website. The recipes, the stories, the pictures. These black & whites bring back lots of memories… I grew up in my grandparent’s bakery in Brooklyn and I’m always working to recreate the foods I grew up eating. The icing my grandfather used was a fondant, one vanilla, one chocolate that he’d cook then spread on the cookies then they’d harden and be nice and shiny. I’m getting hungry now just thinking about it!

Cooked fondant on these, huh? Thanks for sharing, Tammy – it’s always good to know secrets of the “originals”… PJH

39. Debbie

Just curious, could you use the fiori di sicilia in the batter rather than the lemon oil? Would it give the cookies more of an orange taste than the hint of lemon?

Yes, and yes. It’s just the MEREST hint, so I’d guess the Fiori would be just fine, Debbie – PJH

40. Jane Avery

You just keep getting better and better. How can I go wrong? When I look at these photos I feel you are right in my kitchen.

Jane, we ARE right in your kitchen – if only in spirit… :) PJH

41. Luv2Bake

Any good ideas on how to store these? I’m worried about 1) the cookies getting stale, and 2) trying to stack them in a container without the frosting getting mushed…advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Since they’re so large, it’s not too much of a pain to wrap each one individually in plastic wrap. That’s what I do, and it works fine. Enjoy ! PJH

42. Elena McMahon

I don’t have a muffin scoop or any type of cookie scoop. Is there anything I could use instead? Thanks!

Sure, Elena, just grease a 1/4-cup dry measuring cup, and use that. It won’t be as seamlessly easy, but if you grease and/or rinse between each scoop, it should work just fine. PJH

43. lmm

I always thought you flipped the cookies over and frosted the flat side. I see in the picture you frost the rounded top side. I might have to try both ways to see which works better.

I’d rather have my cookies sitting securely on their flat base than rocking around on their rounded tops. But truthfully? Doesn’t make any difference in how they taste! PJH