Butter’s best friend: crumpets

img_9459

Crumpet.

Just the word sounds like Merrie Olde England, doesn’t it? So… jolly, with a splash of class. And a soupçon of serious respect, as is only proper for this classic grilled bread: the first crumpet recipe appeared 240 years ago, in 1769.

So, what’s the difference between an English muffin and a crumpet?

Pretty simple. The crumpet is a moister, denser, flatter English muffin, one whose holes extend all the way from center to top surface.

It’s these holes that make the crumpet so delightfully decadent: spread a pat of soft butter on a hot crumpet, and it disappears. Spread jam, and it disappears, all save a telltale swipe of color.

Hey, where did it all go?

Right into the center, where it melds with the crumpet’s interior to make one seriously “juicy” little bun.

img_9439.JPG

See what I mean by the holes? Imagine popping these in the toaster, and spreading with butter. Maybe a dollop of apricot jam. Be still, my heart!

It took me awhile to come up with this recipe. The flour/liquid ratio, and the mix of leavening (yeast and baking powder) have to be  right on for the holes to appear.

img_9464.JPG

Here are some of my attempts along the way. Aren’t you glad we make all these mistakes so you don’t have to?

Finally, though, with the help of my long-time friend and mentor, test kitchen director Sue Gray, we worked out the details (in which the devil, in this case, definitely lives).

And here’s the recipe: plenty of details, no devils! Enjoy.

img_9382.JPG

This batter comes together in a snap. Put the following in the bowl of your stand mixer, or in a mixing bowl:

1 1/2 cups lukewarm water
1 cup lukewarm milk
2 tablespoons melted butter
3 1/2 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
2 1/2 teaspoons instant yeast
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 1/4 teaspoons salt

img_9383.JPG

Beat at high speed for 2 minutes.

img_9384.JPG

The mixture will look like this: a thick batter, perhaps a bit thicker than pancake batter, but certainly not anything you could knead or shape.

img_9422.JPG

Cover the bowl, and let the batter rise till it’s expanded and bubbly, about 1 hour.

Towards the end of the rising time, heat a lightly greased griddle or frying pan to about 325°F, cooler than you’d cook pancakes. Get out your English muffin rings, grease them well, and place them in the pan or on the griddle.

Can you make these without rings? Sure. You can collect used, washed tuna cans, from which you’ve cut both top and bottom lids. Or, if you love English muffins and crumpets, you can bite the bullet and invest in real English muffin rings, which certainly make your job easier.

img_9387.JPG

Speaking of making your job easier… A level muffin scoop holds 1/4 cup. You want to scoop out a scant 1/4 cup – about 1 3/4 ounces, or 50g. This is what you’ll probably scoop out initially.

img_9424.JPG

Dump a bit out, to make the quantity look about like this – that’s the perfect amount.

img_9403.JPG

Pour the batter into the greased rings. You can see, off to the right, I’ve made some test crumpets. It’s always a good idea, when making English muffins or crumpets, to do a couple of test ones first, to see if the griddle temperature is right.

img_9427.JPG

Ah, here we are, all lined up like little soldiers.

img_9408.JPG

After about 4 or 5 minutes, lift the rings off the muffins. They’ll be set enough to hold their shape. If necessary, wipe the rings clean, and re-grease.

img_9428.JPG

This crumpet isn’t ready to turn yet. It’s got just a few open bubbles, and still looks very wet on top. I haven’t even removed its ring yet, so it’s got a ways to go.

img_9430.JPG

This one is ready. See the dry edges, and more bubbles?

img_9431.JPG

Ready, set…

img_9434.JPG

Turn!

Cook for another 5 minutes or so, to completely cook the inside, and to brown the top a bit.

img_9446.JPG

REAL crumpets don’t have brown tops; they’re cooked on one side only. But I like the look of a lightly browned crumpet, so what the heck. Trust me, the Crumpet Patrol won’t yank your license if you give them a bit of color.

First butter…

img_9449.JPG

…then jam. Apricot, my favorite.

img_9463.JPG

There’s no need to do so, but you can split the crumpets if you like, and toast the halves separately. Look at all those lovely holes!

img_9436.JPG

On the left, a store-bought crumpet. On the right, homemade. I’ll put my homemade crumpets up against the supermarket variety any day.

img_9437.JPG

On the left, a crumpet made without an English muffin ring. On the right, with the ring. Still plenty delicious, just not as  gorgeous.

img_9442.JPG

One more shot – butter melting into the holes. This is what it’s all about, baby!

Read, rate, and review (please!) our recipe for Crumpets.

Buy vs. Bake

Buy: Sharrock’s crumpets, 27¢/ounce

Bake at home: Crumpets, 4¢/ounce

comments

1. Erin in PA

I know what I will be making this weekend! (This and the apple challah recipe from last fall) I bought the English muffin rings this summer and LOVE THEM – I have made English muffins quite a few times and they are SO much better than store bought! Yippee! :)

2. PT

Thanks for a non-muffin and non-pancake breakfast idea! (We do love muffins and pancakes but my kids do want some more variety that is not overly sweet.) I almost forgot that I LOVE crumpets (I got mine from Marks and Spensers many years ago when I lived abroad).

I’ll be making this for breakfast tomorrow. So excited!

3. Colleen

1769 was 240 years ago . . . unless I slept a lot longer than I thought last night! :-) That’s right George Washington was president. We’re America’s oldest flour company. Mary @ KAF

4. Erin in Austin

Oh be still my heart! Crumpets were just about the best part of living in England for 3 years…and that’s saying something.
    Is there any way these could be made as successfully with whole wheat pastry flour??
    Just so I don’t feel quite as guilty slathering them with a whole mess ‘o butter, you understand. ;-) I think that would work. Try it and let us know. Mary @ KAF

1. Catherine Hess

I also believe King Arthur makes a whole wheat white flour..I use it for pancakes all the time,would that work?

2. MaryJane Robbins

Try a 50/50 blend of regular and WWW flour the first time and see how that goes Catherine. You may need a touch of extra liquid, but that’s normal. ~ MJ

5. Helen

Just wanted to say that as a new baker, the detailed photos of the process really help me to know if I’m “doing it right.” Sometimes for a newbie it can be hard to know what yeast dough is supposed to look like! Thanks for all the time you put into this blog! Looks like I’m making crumptets instead of pancakes for breakfast tomorrow!

6. Mike T.

Mmmm, looks good! I love English muffins, so I’m sure these will be an “adequate” substitute… :-)

And I’ve got, mmmmm, blueberry jam too….

Okay, gotta go do some zucchini bread. Maybe I’ll mix up a batch while I’m at it… I’ll have all the ingredients out anyway… Would be a shame not to…

Thanks PJ (and Sue)!

7. Tom

Mmmmmmmmmmm. I know what I’m whipping up in the morning! Of course I’ll substitute some KAF WWW for part of the KAF AP flour. Would this batter hold in the fridge for a day or two? Fresh, warm crumpets sound better than re-heated crumpets. Thanks for the recipe! -Tom< We haven’t tried keeping the dough, but I think it would work. Try it and let us know. Mary @ KAF

8. JuliaJ

Have been wanting a crumpet recipe for ages! Thanks, PJ!

I think I’ll drop some dried blueberries or dried cranberries into some of them (this is a BIG batch!).

p.s. And I might try baking a few in third-full muffin cups, to see what they look like….

9. Marcia

Cooking for one is so hard. How many does this recipe make; could it be reduced to enough for 2 servings? Could the batter be refrig for 1-2 days?

It makes 20 crumpets. It would probably work to refrigerate the dough. The baked crumpets would freeze, I think. Mary @ KAF

10. Terri A

YUM! I leave for London next week and I’ve never had crumpets before. I might have to make them over the weekend to see how they are!

11. Joey D.

Ah PJ, thanks for this recipe! I was just toying with a similar recipe. For the food nerds among us… it’s interesting to know that while the first modern “published” recipe is dated from the mid-1700′s (Raffald’s recipe from “The Experienced English Housekeeper” published in 1769), there is are earlier references for “a crompid cake” from 1694. Other references show the term used as far back in the 1300s! Just goes to show, some of the best things stick around… and covered with apricot jam, these are yum-my! =)

12. Em Hanson

I was looking for english muffins at 5 this am and came across this recipe and thought about making them for Sunday breakfast… It’s been a long time since I have had crumpets … (usually for tea in Scotland, but who has time for tea. The weekend are so full we barely get dinner these days.) but the muffins are to die for

13. Denise Brown

Could one substitute some or all of the flour with the KAF whole wheat white flour ?

You can try, Denise – not sure what’ll happen. Start with subbing 1 cup white whole wheat and see what happens, then let us know, OK? PJH

14. Deirdre

I have been looking for a good crumpet recipe so I’ll be making these this weekend. I love crumpets. I have also tried making my own rings out of foil, with some success. They are good in a pinch. I like them with marmalade or honey (lovely when it drips through). Thank you so much for this recipe.

15. Jennifer in Dallas

These look SO delicious. Do you think they could be made with sourdough starter? If I used 1 c. fed starter to replace 1/2 c. flour and 1/2 c. milk, and omitted the yeast, do you think that would work or would I need to make additional adjustments? Thanks in advance for any tips!!

Jennifer, I hesitate to give any advice at all on changing this recipe. The leavening/flour/liquid ratio is SO crucial, I just wouldn’t guarantee anything. But give what you mention a try, making sure the dough seems to be the same fluidity as what’s in the picture/description; see how they turn out, and let us know, OK? Good luck – PJH

16. Maggie

Oh Jennifer, I love sour dough flavor! Please tell us how the sour dough starter experiment goes if you try it! It sounds very tasty! You might consider leaving the instant yeast in the recipe, though, since sour dough starters can be “slow” (unless you’ve got yours growing like mad) and just use the starter for that great sour dough flavor.

I wonder, if you fed your starter, then just used it as is – adding some chemical leavening – if it would be just the right consistency for crumpets? PJH

17. Lish

I absolutely love crumpets! And for the sourdough, there is actually already a recipe on the website to make sourdough crumpets. It is super easy, quick, and doesn’t make a huge batch. For us a big batch is great because these freeze well and you can toast from frozen. The kiddos love crumpets with butter and my homemade strawberry cranberry jam. Can’t wait!

18. Candace

PJ, I love your blog! I’m inspired and want to try these soon! I’m a bit novice on bread making – can you give me a better feel for “lukewarm” water? Is there a temp range? Looking forward to trying these!!!

Yup, lukewarm is about 95°-100° or so, right around body temperature… PJH

19. Fred Powledge

I hope this doesn’t mean you’ve given up on presenting recipes in both weight (ounces) and volume (cups), and gone back to volume alone. You should see what the humidity does to baking in southern Maryland.

Not at all, Fred – you can easily toggle between weight/volume in the recipe (though not in the blog, as it doesn’t have that technological capacity). And as for southern Maryland – with our Noah/Ark-like flood of rains this summer, I think northern New England rivals you right now! :) PJH

20. Jasmine

I absolutely love crumpets! For me, they have to be lightly toasted and eaten with butter and strawberry jam. Oh I just have to try this recipe.Thanks!

21. keri

oooooh, I can’t wait to make these! I actually bookmarked a crumpet recipe on this site a couple of weeks ago and just hadn’t gotten around to trying it yet!! I’ve wanted to make crumpets for years but just kept forgetting about it…. now I have pictures of the process—- thanks!!! I’d make them tomorrow, but our a/c is out since yesterday and I’m staying out of the kitchen as much as possible!! Boooo Florida! Where’s Fall??

Where’s fall? Up here in northern New England – frost predicted for tonight… BRRRRR! PJH

22. Annette

OMGoodness -you cannot imagine my delight in seeing this recipe. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE crumpets. they were so much easier to get my hands on when we lived in Toronto – Rural North Carolina…. not so much :) Off to bake – muffin rings or not! Thank you so much for your diligence in perfecting the recipe.

23. Maureen

Oh, these look delectable! I’m all for anything that serves as a vehicle for butter and apricot jam (also my favorite). My English/Irish grandmother would be proud of you all! She made these when we were growing up and now I am feeling nostalgic. We have houseguests coming soon and I can’t think of a better excuse to try these lovely things. Thank you for doing all the “heavy lifting” – or at least the heavy calculations – to make it easy on the rest of us!

24. pity

lovely recipe and photos, i could almost smell the sweet aroma when they were being cooked,

cheers from london,

pity

Ooooh, kudos from London about crumpets? I’ll take that as a great affirmation any day! Thanks, pity. Love your blog – the pictures are wonderful – the one with the madeleines and the little boy in particular caught me eye. Such nice framing/depth of field choices… – PJH

25. Rick

Love the blogs, but this is for Lish (which is ONE of the reasons for reading all the blogs): Can you please reveal your recipe for strawberry and cranberry jam? I love strawberry with rhubarb, but can’t get the rhubarb in the winter (stores don’t carry frozen rhubarb in the winter here in NH). Cranberry just might be the answer to my cravings.

Again, thanks for the blogs- they are a godsend for those of us that need constant hand-holding while terrorizing the kitchen.

That’s what we’re here for, Rick – LOTS of hand-holding! And I’m sure your kitchen doesn’t feel terrorized… does it? :) Speaking of cranberries, try this: 1 can whole-berry cranberry sauce; 1 bag frozen raspberries; 1 pack sugar-free raspberry Jell-O. Mix it all up. Cranberry sauce deluxe! I know people scoff at the Jell-O and canned sauce, but hey, this is just one of those easy/easy things that tastes good…PJH

26. Lorna

Every time I read your blog, I need new items. This week it will be English Muffin Rings. I personally keep your online store busy filling my orders. I get excited for the new products that I order and I sure enjoy learning how to use them. Thank you so much, I have rediscovered an old hobby!

27. Charlene

Made these for Sunday brunch today–they were delicious. Did have a bit of a problem with them sticking to the rings–I have English Muffin rings and used Crisco for greasing, spread it liberally. Do you let the rings heat and then add the batter or plop them down and put the batter in as you go? Any thoughts? (Even with funny edges, they disappeared!!)

Charlene, I just lay the rings onto the griddle, and fill. I use non-stick vegetable oil spray, but don’t see why Crisco shouldn’t work… Maybe with Crisco you should let them rest a minute on the griddle before filling? PJH

28. Helen

Reporting back after making these for the first time Saturday morning. Batter went together really easily by following the photos on the blog, and somehow mine wound up looking a lot like yours! I also used Crisco to grease my English Muffin rings and after the first batch you really need to make sure to wipe the inside of the rings before the next batch to avoid sticking. These reheated nicely in the toaster oven both Sunday morning and today! Thanks for giving us new baking adventures! The photos really do help a lot!

29. Hannah P

Made these on Saturday according to the recipe, but my water/flour ratio must have been a bit off. Batter was a little doughy and they came out more like english muffins, but they sure are delicious! Thanks for the great post!

30. Lish

Rick,
    My husband’s favorite is also strawberry rhubarb and the rhubarb this year was awful so that is why I tried the cranberry. This works using frozen berries too. Here is what I did:
    3 cups strawberries, stemmed
    2 cups cranberries picked over
    1/4 cup lemon or orange juice (both work, orange provides more actual flavor, lemon is a little less noticeable)
    Heat berries and juice in saucepot, crushing with potato masher. Cook over medium heat till cranberries pop, adding tablespoon or two of water if the fruit is not juicy enough, stir often. Bring to a boil over high heat, add 6 cups sugar, boil 1 minute, stirring constantly. Stir in box of powdered fruit pectin, and boil one more minute, stirring constantly. Then put into sterilized jars and process 10 minutes, or refrigerate or freeze. You can also use no sugar added pectin and splenda, following the directions on the package of pectin. Hope you enjoy it, let me know how it comes out for you!

Thanks for sharing! We love this community of customer/bakers (and jam makers!)! Irene @ KAF

31. AndyC from Ohio

Just saw this recipe; will be trying this as soon as I find my rings (just moved and can’t find a thing). I agree with Rick, would love to have the Strawberry/Cranberry Jam recipe that Lish mentioned.

32. Hani

I tried making crumpets using sourdough starter, they turned out looking OK but tasted sourish. Got any suggestions?

Hi Hani – I’d say if you don’t want sourdough crumpets that taste sourish, don’t use sourdough starter; follow the recipe as written for a nice, “sweet” tasting crumpet. If you really are devoted to sourdough, feed your starter for several days (once each day) before using; that shold make it a bit less sour. And use less of it, to reduce the sour flavor even more. Good luck – PJH

33. keri

Do you think I could I prepare the batter and store in the fridge overnight to save time in the morning?

I think you might be pushing it, with the chemical leavening losing its punch and the yeast working too long… but heck, give it a try and see what happens. Let us know if it works, OK? Thanks – PJH

34. Lionel

This looks delicious! My first batch sadly failed, I’m a novice and used the red star active dry yeast I have along with the KAF bread flour. Since the recipe uses instant dry yeast, I forgot to activate the yeast in the water (I don’t cook very often) and it was a disaster! A few mistakes later trying to revive it I had to throw it away.

I’ll try again with the right flour and dissolving my yeast in the warm water for 10 minutes, wish me luck!

Good for you, Lionel, not to give up. Active Dry yeast just doesn’t like to be asked to do any heavy lifting before it wakes up. I can relate. Susan

35. Rick

PJH- Thanks for the cranberry sauce recipe! I made the crumpets and they came out great. Then I made the sauce and tried them on the crumpets. I know taste is a subjective matter, but I think that the crumpets and the sauce is a delicious combo!!

Thanks Lish for the jam recipe. I’ll be trying it as soon as I get some pectin.

Rick, never thought of putting the cranberry stuff on the crumpets – but of course, great idea! You’ve inspired me… PJH

36. Lish

I agree about that raspberry cranberry sauce! That is such a great easy recipe and I loved it on toast, as well as on a turkey sandwich. The crumpets were gone before I made it, but the strawberry cranberry jam was good on it, as was my latest jam creation, sangria marmalade! The raspberry cranberry sauce is almost gone, so I am making more tomorrow. Especially since the whole berry cranberry sauce is on sale everywhere around here. Thanks for great ideas!

37. Kimberly D

I would do this on a gas stove, and only 4 at a time for pan would only hold that many. My question is should I preheat the pan than turn it down to what, medium or low? Everyone’s stoves are different but try preheating the pan over a medium heat and then turning it down to medium low before doing a test crumpet. Molly @ KAF

38. Charlie

Erin in Austin Said: “Just so I don’t feel quite as guilty slathering them with a whole mess ‘o butter, you understand.”

Artisanal bread is never less than (though it may well be more than…) a butter-delivery-mechanism. No guilt, please. All the same, I too will be watching for the results of a whole wheat recipe experiment.

39. Lisa!

These were amazing!

I made them this morning and they turned out great. Unfortunately, I only had one round ring and one oval, so I made them in batches of round, oval, and freehand. No one cared.

I served them with my own blueberry and my plum jams. Nom!

Necessity IS the mother of invention! Glad your shapes all turned out delicious (and family pleasing, too)! Irene @ KAF

40. Rich Ninetrees

Does your cost estimate for homemade include a nominal cost for the energy to cook the crumpets? Do you include this figure on any of your baking cost estimates?

Thanks,
    ~Rich~

No energy costs, Rich – heating your oven, or driving to the store for ingredients. No labor costs, either, simply ingredients. We considered it, and it was just too complicated to try to factor in the varying prices of oil/gas all over the country/world…

41. elizabeth mooney

Dear king Arthur, Yes, those crumpets are easy & delicious. I had eaten a lot in the past but this is thw first time I made them. I used the large griddle which takes only 4 9 I have 4 rings only). 1/4C batter was a bit skimpy that I put 1/3C batter. Maybe my rings are larger? (WS purchase) The rings were meant to be for making Engkish muffins ut were alright I thought. We ate some for lunch yesterday 7 this morning I had 2 7 my husband had 4 ! Thanks for the recipe. Enjoyed cooking crumpets.

42. Kelli

Could you ever make these (or english muffins for that matter) in those shaped pancake molds? With young kids in the house, they’re all about fun food. I suppose it may just be a matter of estimating the amount of batter to put in to adjust for the varied size of the mold. Any suggestions on this?

You’ve got it, Kelli – experiment. My one doubt would be if the molds are so large that the inside of the center of the muffins wouldn’t cook thoroughly before the edges are done, but hey, give it a try, right? :) PJH

43. Johnny

So was it 340 years ago in 1669 or 240 years ago in 1769?

Johnny, what can I say, I’m an English major. :) Thanks, all fixed. PJH

44. Beverly

I’ve made these twice and they taste awesome, according to my husband! But both times, my batter is not of the pourable consistency – it’s a glutinous mass that needs to be coaxed out of the bowl and sticks to EVERYTHING. What am I doing wrong? I have followed the instructions to a “T”.

Thanks!

Beverly, are you using King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour? Are you using a scale? It sounds like too much flour – please take a look at our flour measuring tips, to make sure that’s not the issue… If you’re still puzzled, call our Baker’s Hotline, 802-649-3717 – they can talk things through with you. PJH

45. Justin

Shouldn’t there be some sugar in there? Crumpets are a touch sweet.

Sorry, Justin, I never had a sweet crumpet, nor saw a crumpet recipe with sugar – far as I know, the sweetness comes from anything you put on them – like pancakes with syrup. But certainly add a bit of sugar if you like – PJH

46. Hillary

I am a very experienced baker and my husband loves crumpets, but I cannot get my crumpets to cook through. No matter how long they cook they still have a slight doughy texture (or at least doughier than a crumpet should be). They look exactly as they should but they are just consistently underdone. Any suggestions?

I’m not sure what the interior of a crumpet “should” be, Hillary; all the ones I’ve had have been very moist, almost doughy, in the center. You could try making them less thick; or you could try baking them once they’re fried; put them in a pan, covered (so they don’t get any browner), and bake for awhile? Just a thought… PJH

1. Michael

Like Hillary, mine turned out doughy in the center. I experimented by making them thicker and thinner and they were all on the doughy side. I was very careful measuring (used a scale vs. cup), making sure the temp on the liquids was right on, etc. Some I even froze then reheated and warmed in a toaster and same result — doughy. So I’ve tried Sharrock’s many times and I have never once thought they were doughy. In fact, they’re quite a bit thicker so something is amiss.

BTW, these crumpets tasted great and looked wonderful but even the wife commented on the doughiness. Any thoughts on how to correct this?

The interior of crumpets is rather doughy – compared to English Muffins. You could try making them thinner and baking them, covered, in the oven after the frying stage.~Jaydl@KAF

47. Heather

Hello, so excited to try these! I only buy skim milk, do you think it will work or does it need the fat? I also just have the regular yeast you get in packets in the refrigerated section, can I use that? I never heard of instant before this recipe, looks interesting but I don’t think its in my store.

Heather, skim milk is fine. Active dry yeast needs to be dissolved in warm water with a pinch of sugar first. Dissolve it in 1 tablespoon water. If it doesn’t bubble within 15 minutes, you’ve got bum yeast. Good luck – PJH

48. Rebecca

I’m cooking these right now and they are amazing!!!!!! Thank you so much!

YAY – nice warm crumpets on a dark, cold night… sounds like a plan. :) PJH

49. Clotilde

Mary or PJH, would you mind detailing how you grease the rings for these? What sort of fat do you use, and what method?

I’ve greased mine by rubbing them lightly with a paper towel dipped in vegetable oil, and still I had a bit of a problem with the crumpets sticking to the inside of the ring.

I’d love to know how you do it — perhaps a pastry brush would work better? Many thanks in advance!
    Clotilde.
    Try the Everbake spray. Nothing sticks to it! Molly @ KAF
    Clotilde.

50. Clotilde

Thanks for your quick response, Molly. I must admit I am wary of partially hydrogenated oils, but I will try greasing the rings more heavily!
    Happy holidays,
    Clotilde.

51. Sara

I just made these this morning, but I tried to cheat by mixing them up last night so they would be ready to make early. It didn’t work. I couldn’t get them to cook through at all! Do you think the longer rise was the problem? The flavor was great, and they were very pretty, but they just wouldn’t cook!

Yep, the change in the timeline is the reason. Give it another try, as written, if you can fit it into your scheudle. Frank @ KAF.

52. Andrew

I’m originally from England and would eat crumpets at least once a week. I used to love them with baked beans on top of them. Along with the butter, the bean sauce would fill up all those little holes. What a juicy and scrumptious bite each mouthful was.
    I’ve now lived in the US for 20+ years and it’s been a long time since I’ve had any crumpets. So I’ll definately be trying your recipe. They look delicious.

Hope they meet your standards, Andrew – it’s kind of daunting putting a recipe out there to be tested by a crumpet pro! :) PJH

53. Lisa

I have a potluck tea party in a few weeks and I decided I would bring the crumpets. Today I tried this recipe to make sure I would be successful, or whether I would be buying them from the store. I followed the directions and they came out great. Your instructions were easy to follow and the photos were also helpful. I will be serving these tasty crumpets with homemade meyer lemon curd. Thanks!

WOW, the homemade Meyer lemon curd sounds scrumptious – thanks for sharing, Lisa. PJH

54. Corey

I lost the recipe I used to use for crumpets and because I’ve had success with many other KAF recipes, I tried this one today. Twice. Both times, they would not cook through no matter how long they cooked and how much or little batter I used per muffin ring. Like the earlier comment from Hillary, they looked great on the outside (although quite thin) but were raw in the middle. I put some of them in the oven at 350 to see if I could finish them that way, but by the time the centers were set the outsides were dry and hard. Any ideas on what might have gone wrong?

Sorry about the frustration with this recipe. It may be a good opportunity to call and chat with one of our bakers – Baker’s Hotline Direct number is 802-649-3717. Irene @ KAF

55. Linda

I wound up with a stringy batter and no matter how much I left them on the griddle they wouldn’t cook in the middle.

When pulled apart, the texture doesn’t appear similarly to the crumpets I’ve bought in London. The crumpets I’ve had in London have an interesting texture that runs from top to bottom…bottoms are very dark there and tops aren’t browned at all.

The taste was OK, but again uncooked.

I measured flour, used correct yeast (date OK) and fresh bag of BP.
    Please call our bakers hot line so we may go over the steps of the recipe with you to see what may have happened. Joan D@bakershotline

56. Will Cleveland

Mine weren’t quite as holy…but next time I’ll make sure and activate my yeast right. They taste great…like a cross between a bread and a biscuit.

57. Jacqueline

Making with the sourdough discard? I’m feeding my sourdough and looking for something to do with the batter I”m to discard. I have enough waffles and pancakes. Can I use the discard cup for some part of this recipe? I am not a skilled enough baker to know how much of what is okay to swap out…Thanks in advance. These look lovely. I also have your English Muffins recipe which calls for sourdough starter but doesn’t indicate Fed or Discard.

Jacqueline, I’d use your 1 cup of discard – subbing it for 1/2 cup flour and 1/2 cup liquid. May or may not work, as sourdough can be quite variable in how liquid it is, and crumpets are quite particular about the flour/liquid balance. But give it a try, OK? As for the English muffins – if a recipe doesn’t indicate whether or not the sourdough should be fed, it should be. That way, the yeast in the sourdough is activ and will help with the rise. To use unfed starter, increase the yeast in the recipe. Good luck – PJH

58. Sara

I’ve got to add a “me too” to the posters above who couldn’t get these to cook. I tried them again (third time now) last weekend, both the second times, I followed the timeline exactly. I so love English muffins, and these look so good. And the things WON’T COOK! I tried starting them in the pan, putting them in the oven. I left them on the griddle for 20 minutes. I put them through the toaster. They just wouldn’t cook through. What am I (are we) doing wrong here?? Is it possible that not all baking powder is created equal or could it have something to do with the water? I’ve never seen anything like it. I’m sure my crumpets wouldn’t cook on the surface of the sun! You have got me stumped. I don’t have an anwser for you. I suggest you call the Baker’s Hot Line, so we can troulbe shoot with you. mary@ KAF

59. Jackie Mitchell

Can I use King Arthur English Muffim Mix for crumpets by increasing the milk?

Don’t know, Jackie – we’ve never tried it. It sounds like it could work… give it a go, let us know how it comes out. PJH

60. Don

The recipe sounds great, I’ll be making these. I find dumping everything in a bucket and stiring it up works well, particularly with an electronic (digital) scale set to measure in grams, and a tare weight function. Here is your recipe in grams:

340 g lukewarm water
    227 g lukewarm milk
    28 g melted butter
    418 g KA AP Flour
    7 g instant yeast
    4 g baking powder
    7 g salt

Same method works fine.

Thanks for all you do!

Don
    Thanks so much for taking the time to share this with others. That’s what baking and community is all about.
    ~MaryJane

61. Serena

I’ve made these twice now; my first batch was undercooked in the center and my crumpets were also “blind” (the bubbles didn’t rise to the surface and pop so the top wasn’t holey the way it should be).
    For my second batch, I did some experimenting. I found that my heat was too high for the first batch. When I lowered the heat, and added 1-2 T of extra liquid to the batter (which is supposed to help the bubbles rise and pop more easily), the crumpets cooked much more slowly (7-8 minutes b/f flipping) allowing the bubbles to rise and pop and the top to get much more dry before the bottom got really brown (which had been the problem with the first batch). I found that this also allows the centers to cook more thoroughly. By the time I flipped them, they were pretty much cooked through with just a thin layer of uncooked batter on top.
    Hope these tips help! Thanks so much for the recipe; I’ve been frustrated with not being able to buy crumpets consistently in my local markets so this recipe was a godsend!!! :)

62. Betty

I remember my grandfather always mentioning crumpets. They were not available in the little town I went to high school in. I don’t know if he had ever had any. But he seemed to like the idea of tea and crumpets. I shall try the recipe and make some tea to go with it and have a talk with my grandfather, dead since 1954.

Betty, say hello for me – and thank him for inspiring you to make crumpets in his memory… PJH

63. Zoe

Feeling nostalgic for my own English childhood I made this treat for my little New Zealand family this very Sunday morning. Oh no! What has Mummy made now they exclaimed noses screwed up to the limit. Well let me tell you, 2 adults and two darlings under 5 have eaten the whole lot bar 5 crumpets! I love the addition of baking powder as I have attempted crumpets before and been disappointed, not so this time. It will be your recipe everytime now! Thanks for helping me this new family tradition.

Zoe, thanks for your lovely word picture – and for sharing your success with us. Cheers from faraway America- PJH

64. ruthie

I had some leftover pancake batter one time, been sitting in the fridge for several days. I decided to cook it quick and buttered a cake pan, dumped in the batter, and stuck it in the oven. It came out very crumpet-like, i.e., full of bubbles, if a bit cakier. Freakish!
    Although, when you think about it, they both have the holes in comon.

Do you suppose there’s a way to make actual crumpets without the yeast? I pretty much can’t eat foods with yeast or that are fermented, and I do love crumpets.
    Hi Ruthie,
    I’d start with an internet search for “yeast free crumpets” and go from there. Best of luck with your search. ~ MJ

65. BellesAZ

I’ve made these several times with great success. The Crumpet rings sold here are really nice to work with too, but make sure your rings stay nicely greased. One secret my English mother in law shared with me is to add about 1/8 tsp of baking soda to the batter. You get a higher volume of holes and she also made sure I mentioned that no self-respecting Englishmen EVER splits their crumpets! :) The crumpet made free form without rings are called Pikelets and are usually a bit smaller than the crumpet but equally delicious. Children take them to school as treats and snacks.. lucky kids! :)
    Thanks for the hints from you and your English mother-in-law. I know I never split my crumpets either. JMD@KAF

66. cynthia20932

I’ve been making sourdough crumpets with the KAF recipe on this site, using the otherwise discarded sourdough starter, every weekend for breakfast for several weeks now. They are delicious! Since I don’t know what crumpets are like, never having tasted one until I tried making these, I have eaten them with a fork, as I didn’t cook them very long and they were soft like pancakes (they were never raw or too doughy, though!). Are these crumpets supposed to be more firm-textured, like English muffins, so that you can pick them up and eat them? Or should I be toasting them, which would make them more firm? (I will be more patient, too, and let them cook longer in the pan.)

Crumpets should be somewhat soft and bendable. If you toasted them, they would become more stiff. kelsey@KAF

67. Dianne

I made these today and they turned out just like the picture! Used a cast iron skillet and jar rings. Could only do 5 at a time. I made 34 using the jar rings. I brushed the skillet with grape seed oil and greased the rings with butter. No sticking anywhere. Centers were well done and nice and spongy. I did add 1 tsp of sugar, and I think I will add the baking soda as suggested by someone else for more bubbles next time, although I did get a considerable amount holes. I am so glad I had to try only one recipe to get a winner. I am putting on a large tea party and needed crumpets. I am considering getting an electric skillet so I can cook a lot at a time the day of the party. That way they will be right off the griddle, as they are so super easy to make. I believe the jar rings will be perfect for the tea party, as the size is dantier than english muffin size. I will try freezing these, as we will never be able to eat this many at once. Thanks so much.

68. Baker Betty

Baking powder doesn’t really do the job these need for ultimate holes and flavor. British recipes for crumpets use baking soda, not powder. Try eliminating the baking powder, and instead stir 1 tsp of baking soda dissolved in 1/4 cup warm water into the yeast batter after it has risen and just before cooking them.

The baking powder is likely the problem with undercooked/uncooked/hard crumpets. Partly just because of the nature of baking powder, and also possibly due to old and no longer active baking powder. Baking powder and baking soda are not interchangeable. Try baking chocolate chip cookies with baking powder, you’ll get a hard, crisp cookie. Bake them with baking soda instead, and you get a lovely, soft, chewy cookie.

Try them with baking soda instead of baking powder. You’ll have lots of bigger holes that come to the surface and open more easily, creating even better pockets for all that lovely butter to melt into.

Betty, as you said, baking powder and baking soda aren’t interchangeable. The recipe has to complement the leavening; if you’re going to use just baking soda, you need some acidic ingredients in the rest of the recipe to make it work, and to take away its “soapy” flavor. I’m just cautioning people not to simply exchange one for the other, without being aware of how they work and adjustments that would need to be made. For instance, you might want to substitute some buttermilk for at least part of the milk in the crumpets. And you’d want to be sure to use brown sugar in the chocolate chip cookies. Thanks for you input here. PJH

69. Hamish

I am confused about using baking soda rather than baking powder and the words “not interchangable”. Can I or can I not use baking soda as mentioned putting it in just prior to cooking the crumpets and not using baking powder at all. I tried one recipe lately and it did not work. In the ‘early 50′s I worked in a crumpetry bake shop (also making English breads and roles) as a baker’s helper (not on the crumpet line). I think baking soda was used for crumpets. The shop was also at sea level and I am now living 2800 ft above sea level. Will that make a difference in the rising time or amount of levening agent?

You can certainly try whatever you like, Hamish – we haven’t tried substituting baking soda for baking powder, so we just can’t tell you with 100% certainty it’s going to work. My advice would be to add 1/4 teaspoon of baking soda just before cooking (in addition to the yeast and BP). As for the altitude, 2800 feet should be fine – the general rule of thumb is you don’t start adjusting recipes till over 3,000 feet. PJH

70. Margaret

I was born and raised in England. Came to the US in 1966. I remember buying crumpets in packages. They had like a rubbery texture, but toasting them made them taste delicious. The toasters they used to have in England were attached to the stove and only toasted one side. So when toasted the tops turned golden brown, and just right for soaking up the butter

“Soaking up butter” is one of my favorite expressions, Margaret – thanks for the tasty memories. PJH

71. Amanda C

I made crumpets last night using your recipe for a royal wedding tea party we had a work today. They turned out wonderful and were loved by all. Thank you for posting such detail!

You’re welcome, Amanda. Bet your party was lovely… just like that bride. Wasn’t she stunning! :) PJH

72. Composer369

“1769 was 240 years ago . . . unless I slept a lot longer than I thought last night! That’s right George Washington was president. We’re America’s oldest flour company. Mary @ KAF”
    WRONG WRONG WRONG !!
    George Washington was 37 in 1769–there was another 20 years until he became President in 1789. Our country was not yet even that; 1769 would have put it in the time that Washington began to pull himself out of debt in the mid 1760s by diversifying his previously tobacco-centric business interests into other ventures and paying more attention to his affairs. In 1766, he started switching Mount Vernon’s primary cash crop away from tobacco to wheat (here is the King Arthur Flour connection !), a crop that could be processed and then sold in various forms in the colonies, and further diversified operations to include flour milling, fishing, horse breeding, spinning, weaving and (in the 1790s) whiskey production.
    Our country was not even recognized by any other country until 1783 & then once the Constitution was at last ratified in 1788, this set the platform for Washington as the first President in 1789.
    Thanks for the history lesson Patrick! All said and done, it still is pretty awesome we’re America’s oldest flour company. Washington in office or not! ~Jessica

73. Ally C.

Aarrgh! I must have done something wrong… my dough was thick like biscuit dough when I mixed it up, and then I added some extra water (1 cup) to thin it out. I set it aside to rise, and then when I went to make it, the dough was still thick. It cooked well though, and held together, but was much more like a soft english muffin than a crumpet. They were, however, delicious. So I’ll try again. What is the diameter of your english muffin rings, btw? I wonder if mine are too big.
    It sounds like you might have added too much flour, Ally. Check out how we weigh our flour for all of our recipes here, and they should work out just fine! The diameter on our rings are 3 3/4″ x 1″ deep. We do hope you give it another try, and happy baking! ~Jessica

74. Rick

Does the batter/mix have portability or longevity? I would like to make or mix as much as possible then transport to a “pancake” breakfast fundraiser but can’t make the batter on site…any suggestions?

Rick, depends how long the batter has to wait; since it needs to rest/rise for an hour after you stir it together, probably a couple of hours would be OK. I’d say cut the yeast back to 2 teaspoons; then stir the baking powder in right before making the crumpets. PJH

75. Rick

I followed recipe and they turned out practically identical! Now I want to get them a little “lighter”. Can I use powdered non-fat milf? If so how much extra water to sub out the cup of milk? I am going to try adding your suggestion of 1/4 tspn of Baking Soda and would like to try a tbspn of vinegar??? And finally can I mix in or sub some KA bread flour?

Rick
    Hi Rick
    Crumpets are not usually a light baked good, but if you do want to try some different versions, we’d suggest making small changes at a time, change only one ingredient at a time, and keep good notes on what works and what does not. That way, if the recipe goes south, you’ll be able to find the culprit ingredient much more quickly. The only thing I would say not to try is the bread flour. Too much gluten in that for a good crumpet.
    Happy experimenting! ~ MJ

76. Rick

You were so right about the bread flour! Being stubborn though had to try…have tried about 10 batches and your recipe seems to be the most consistent and best. I am tweeking a bit using powdered mild non-fat and adding 1/4 tspn of baking soda w/vinegar at go time.

Thanks

77. Dianne

Have you revised your crumpet recipe from a year ago? It seems different….and better. Or maybe I am just getting the hang of it. This is the second year I am baking crumpets for our Christmas Tea, and I have to tell you they are much better than last year. I have more bubbles (holes) this year. Just wish I had a big griddle and lots of rings!! Thanks.
    Hi Dianne,
    To my knowledge the recipe hasn’t been changed, so you are just getting to be one talented baker if you ask me. Happy holidays! ~ MaryJane

MJ’s right, Dianne – the recipe is the same, it’s the baker who’s taking it to new heights! Enjoy – PJH

78. sackvillebaggins

I just made these for the first time and they are lovely. I only had active dry yeast so I cut back the recipe water by 1/4 cup and “proofed” the yeast with 1/4 cup water and 1/2 tsp sugar, and added it to the recipe liquids after 10 minutes. I wonder if I really needed to do that?
    I also forgot to put the melted butter in, but it seems no harm done, and I used it to grease the muffin rings!
    Now, if only I could make clotted cream!

Actually, it’s not really necessary to “proof” yeast anymore, even active dry; the way it’s manufactured, it’s fine just adding it along with the dry ingredients. Doesn’t hurt to proof it; just not necessary. As for the clotted cream… hmmm, there must be a recipe out there somewhere, eh? :) PJH

79. glpruett

Yesterday I got a craving for crumpets, and instead of going directly to KAF and searching for a recipe like I SHOULD have (!), I found a copy of the “Los Angeles Times” newspaper food cover story I had in my “stash” from November 1, 2000 that had several recipes for bread “classics”. Included was a recipe for crumpets, so I followed their recipe, with the only change being substituting white whole wheat flour for the all-purpose they called for.

The recipe differences they called for were:
    1. Decreased milk to 1 C.
    2. No baking powder.
    3. Increased salt to 2 tsp.
    4. Added 2 tsp. sugar.
    5. After first rest of 45 minutes, dissolve 1/2 tsp. baking soda in 1/4 C. warm water, stir into batter and let rest an additional 20 to 30 minutes.

So, I made them…the batter seemed much too doughy to me to spread well and look like crumpets, but hope springs eternal and I plunged on. My concern was legitimate: they would NOT spread on the pre-heated griddle. I kept on…they looked baked, so I put them on a cooling rack and continued to bake the rest of the 14 that the recipe made. There were none of the little holes that make crumpets look so great, and while I was disappointed, I thought maybe my crumpet craving would be satisfied.

Here are my observations:

Their decrease in milk volume may well be why the batter was so thick and wouldn’t spread. The increase in salt was QUITE noticeable–I thought they were waaaaaaaaaaay too salty tasting! The addition of such a small amount of sugar probably didn’t make much difference in taste either way. I’m not sure what the exchange of dissolved baking soda vs. baking powder did for the batter chemically–maybe that was part of the thickness of the batter.

Having said all of that, the true test is in the eating. I broke one apart, and it looked completely done. I bit into it…UGH! In addition to the too-salty taste, it was way too doughy. I’ve eaten and enjoyed crumpets many times, so it isn’t that I don’t know what texture they should have, but these definitely didn’t have it! This morning, I toasted a couple of them, added a pat of butter and some orange marmalade and gave them to my husband for breakfast.

My hubby of 41 (!) years has eaten almost everything I have cooked in all that time. Now, I’m a good cook, some even say great, but I noticed after he left for work that one of those suspect crumpets was left on the kitchen counter, marmalade and all. And I don’t blame him one bit! The rest are headed for the circular file.

So, I’m off to get out my scale and ingredients, using KA All-Purpose Flour this time, and give your recipe a go today. Won’t hubby be surprised at breakfast tomorrow when he has some GOOD crumpets to enjoy???

So here’s my apology, KAF: I looked to another recipe source and was tremendously disappointed. In the same newspaper article, they have a recipe for Pain au Chocolat. I won’t make the same mistake twice…I have the ingredients for your Whole-Grain Pain au Chocolat, and that will go together after the crumpets.

Also, in response to sackvillebaggins, I do have a fool-proof recipe for clotted cream. It’s simple to make, but you have to start it a few days before serving. That said, here it is:

Clotted Cream

2 C. heavy cream
    3 Tbsp. buttermilk
    1 1/2 Tbsp. powdered sugar

In glass jar, combine cream and buttermilk. Place lid on top, but don’t seal so that there is a small opening for air. Leave at room temperature for 36 to 48 hours without disturbing. Mixture will thicken and look like the consistency of sour cream. Put lid on jar and place in refrigerator to chill thoroughly, at least 8 hours. Before serving, gently fold in sifted powdered sugar. Serve with homemade scones and jam. Yields 2 cups, or about 24 dollops. YUM!

The recipe just gives you the proportions; of course you can adapt it to the amount of clotted cream you need for the number of people you expect for tea. And thanks for the Cran-Raspberry Spread idea and also the Strawberry-Raspberry Jam; I’m sure I’ll be making both soon! One quick question on the Cran-Raspberry Spread: sugar-free raspberry Jell-O was specified; is there any reason you can’t use sugar-sweetened? Perhaps dissolve it in a little boiling water before adding it to the cranberry sauce and raspberries? I’d rather avoid artificial sweeteners if possible.

THANKS, KAF, for all you do for us home bakers!

Wow, thanks so much for all the information you’ve shared here. And I’m hoping our crumpet recipe did well for you. I’m absolutely going to try this clotted cream – I actually just bought some buttermilk, so I’ll nab some heavy cream, and Bob’s your uncle – scones, here I come! :) PJH

80. Pingback: Quora

81. "jackiec "

I had a crumpet for the first time at my quilting shop and it was soooooo good, I just had to come here to your wonderful site and get your receipt!!!!

82. LangdonWood

So excited about this recipe. I saw the questions about using WH pastry flour, but no one said if it seemed to work. I tried the recipe using 1/2 white flour and 1/2 WH pastry flour and I can definitely say that worked just fine.

I also experimented with baking them at 425 for about 10 minutes, which worked, but not as well as on the griddle. In my case that means a cast iron pan with heat at medium, which worked great!

83. Stacey

This looks delicious! Can these be made with the KAF gluten free flour?

Stacey, we haven’t tried this, so I just don’t know… since crumpets don’t rise all that much, it might work with the addition of a teaspoon of xanthan gum. Worth a try, I’d say – good luck. PJH

84. Kat

Just made these this morning. Perfect! Didn’t realize until now that I forgot to put the butter in, but I don’t think they suffered for it – we put plenty on top. :) Thanks!

You’re very welcome, Kat – glad you like them! Break out the preserves, right? PJH

85. CeeJay

Hi! I made these today. The batter had the bubbles on top like your picture,but when I made them they barely bubbled on the griddle. I used an egg circle ring and a round cookie cutter as a mold. They came out looking like English muffins and no bubbles on top. HELP! What did I do wrong?! I look forward to your reply. Thank you

I would also suggest to call the Baker’s Hotline to see if we can help troubleshoot this problem!-Jon 802-649-3717

86. macchiatocat

I made these today. My batter had the bubbles on top but when I cooked them on the griddle they didn’t bubble on top.they came out more like an English muffin dense. Please advise me on how to fix this. Thank you!

I would give our Baker’s Hotline a jingle to what could have caused this problem!-Jon 802-649-3717

87. Kevin

Crumpets that I buy here in Canada, as well as those I’ve had in England have a certain chewy texture. The inside is more rubbery than a pancake or a biscuit, and more of a transparent nature, as opposed to a cake type material. (Some pizza crusts and some flaky puff pastries are similar in transparency, for want of a better term). I tried water and not milk, BPowder and BSoda and three eggs, no yeast. They cooked nicely in my homemade stainless steel rings @ 350 on the griddle with bubbles nicely through. Flipped and lightly cooked, they looked EXACTLY like yours in the pictures (just slightly yellower- the egg yolks,maybe ?) Still want to try and get that chewiness, maybe with yeast and less flour
    hi Kevin,
    Have you thought about using bread flour? The extra gluten may add the chewiness you are seeking. ~ MJ

88. Kevin

Thanks MJ, I will try the bread flour instead of the all purpose. It might also work for the family pizza shop crust I grew up with as a kid. Considering I had no yeast, the wrong flour, plenty of bubbles and had to fabricate my own rings – I wonder why people had problems with them not cooking ? Mine varied from .5 to 1.5 inches thick and they all were cooked through without looking burnt.

Thanks for the tip! We really appreciate being able to use what is on hand! Barb@KAF

89. susan

so I made this today again, for the umpteenth time. Several bags of flour have been wasted over the years because I could never get a recipe to work perfect. After reading all the comments and knowing enough about baking to make some substitutions and went for this recipe this morning after getting woken up by a car alarm very very early.weighed the flour, put the batter together and let it sit, and did substitute powdered milk for fresh milk and baking soda for the baking powder. Let it rise and got the griddle ready. Cooked them up with the hope that I’d have something with my breakfast. Got the cookie cutters ready and heated and scoop it into the rings. I got beautiful bubbles on top, and plenty of them too! Wait until the edges were dry and almost cooked, and flipped it over my beautiful crumpet. It sank down a little bit. Sigh. Not Enough cooked dough to hold up the weight of the crumpet. Second batch when on with a little bit more dough, but they sunk down a little too far and cooked a little bit batch:r. Better results but it sank to under the weight of its own crumpet. Third go of this batch: let the crumpet cook for 10 minutes. I left them on the grill, thinking they would probably burn. They didn’t burn! Flip them over for a couple of minutes just to cook up the top, and I had beautiful crumpet to go with my breakfast! Thank you very very much for a wonderful recipe and blog and finally helping me get to the success of being able to have crumpets in the morning.