Cast iron pans: a pizza's best friend

skillPizza

Cookbook author Susan Purdy has a saying: “You can only change a pie so many times before you have a pizza.”

It’s a good warning about messing with recipes too much for those mad scientists in the kitchen. But I’ve been thinking. How many times can you change a pizza?

Happily, you can change a pizza over and over and over again. Change the dough, change the topping, change the cheese – it all just keeps getting better and better.

Today I’m not changing the crust or the toppings, though. The big change is in how the pizza itself is baked. No parchment for me this time. No perforated pan, no baking sheet, not a pizza peel in sight.

So, what’s the hot new thing about this pizza? How about a hot plan for a hot pan?

Cast iron used to be the hottest thing in baking, and it’s been making a big comeback for the last couple of years. Cast iron holds heat like no other pan, and lasts literally for generations. You can bake, fry, stew, braise, and brown in cast iron – the fun never ends.

After seeing this technique for pizza online in a few different places, I knew I had to try it. I was stunned and amazed at the delightfully crisp crust cast iron produced, and it was fast and easy to do. I desperately wanted to blog about it, and wooed my Web team with hot pizza until Halley gave me the green light.

READY? SET? LET’S GO!

Start with a batch of your favorite pizza dough that’s had its first rise; and a preheated 400°F oven.

Gently deflate the dough and divide into two pieces, or more if your cast iron pans are smaller.

Next, break out a cold cast iron pan. Here I used a 10″ x 3″ (front) and a 10″ x 2″ (back). Cast iron spiders (the pans with little feet) also work well here.

Well-seasoned cast iron is fairly non-stick but I like to add just a touch of garlic oil to the bottom of the pan before pressing the dough out. If you’re a fan of crispy crusty edges that can be dipped in garlic butter, press the dough up the sides of the pan about 1/2″ to 1″.

Next, add your toppings. Sauce, caramelized onion, turkey pepperoni, and cheese is a standard at our house, and a test kitchen favorite, too.

We also happened to have some leftover pulled pork, so that topped the second pizza, along with a heapin’ helpin’ of pizza cheese blend.

Next up, the leap of faith. Place the pans on the STOVETOP and turn the heat to medium-high for 3 minutes.

Cast iron is an excellent heat conductor, and these pans will shoot up to rocket hot temperatures in no time. The bottom crust is getting a super head start on baking before it even hits the heat of the oven.

The 3 minutes are up and, as promised, the pans are HOT! I probably don’t need to say it, but definitely be careful handling them.

(Don’t you just love this nifty infra-red thermometer? You can get one at the auto parts store.)

Transfer the pans to the preheated oven and bake for an additional 10 to 12 minutes, or until golden browned and bubbly.

Almost done, but not quite. The center needs a bit more color, so back to the oven with this pie.

Now THAT ‘S what I’m talkin’ about! Those are some amazing looking pizzas.

Carefully tilt the pan and use a pancake spatula to slide the pizza out onto your cutting surface. Because the bottom crust is so resoundingly crisp, the whole pizza will move as one piece. *CRUNCH*

Sorry we don’ t have smell-o-vision. Think hot barbecue sauce, tomato rich and spicy. Smoky pork and creamy melted cheese and, of course, warm bread.

Just look at that crust! Golden brown all over, crunchy and fortifying without a trace of sogginess. This is pizza you can sink your teeth into, and crust you can sink into heaps of garlic butter.

OK, thanks for holding still, Frank. You can eat your pizza now.

I’ve been playing with pizzas in cast iron for several months now, and I have a host of ideas of what to try next. How about a cheese-stuffed crust? I think the added benefit of the cast iron would cook the thicker crust to perfection. I’m also considering how calzone would work, or a double-crusted pizza. I’ll be sure to keep you posted.

Have you ever tried pizza in cast iron before? What other non-traditional things do you make in your favorite spider? Let us know in the comments below.

MaryJane Robbins

comments

1. MarionCH

Do you keep the stones in your oven all the time? I assume it would not be necessary to put cast iron on a stone, but perhaps it is. What about regular oven use – do you ever take them out?
    Hi Marion,
    For me, I have a custom-made stone that takes up a whole rack in my oven, so I do leave it in the oven all the time. I bought a third rack so I don’t lose any space. You don’t have to put the cast-iron pan on a stone, I put one on my stone and one on the rack above and it works just fine.
    For smaller stones, so folks do take them out when baking other things. ~ MaryJane

2. trishaslp

I usually pre-heat my empty cast-iron in the oven, then slide the dough (which has been rolled out onto parchment paper) onto the pan using a peel. The parchment stays under the pizza. Another way to do it!
    Great, thanks for sharing another great way to use cast iron for pizza. ~ MaryJane

3. Judith

Boyfriend’s been doing Chicago-style deep dish pizza in a 15″ cast iron skillet for years. For 45 years there’s always been cast iron on my stove!
    My hubby is a big fan of cast-iron. Getting a Lodge 8 quart dutch oven at a yard sale for $20.00 was his biggest triumph. ~ MaryJane

4. Binnsh

An even better way, thanks to Kenji Alt-Lopez, is to preheat the iron skillet very hot, add the pizza, then finish the top close to the broiler for 2-3 minutes. Crisp outside, chewy interior- like a good bagel, with some black spots top and bottom. It’s fast and no preheating the oven, which is nice in summer!
    Another interesting version. I’m so glad folks are sharing their ideas and methods. I wonder how many of us will be having pizza for dinner tonight? ~ MaryJane

5. wooziebaker

I’m a frequent pizza maker, but have never tried it in cast iron. Sounds like a great way to get that crispy crust that can be elusive in a home oven.
    Hi Woozie,
    We make pizza once a week at our house, and the cast iron version is a real favorite. Let us know what you think! ~ MaryJane

6. Loiso

I’m an old Chicago girl and love pizza. Since I just cook for me anymore, pizza in an cast iron skillet is a perfect size and I’ve been enjoying it for several months. Leftover pizza is best rewarmed in a dry skillet on top of the stove. Put a lid on the pan and you have a perfect little oven, pizza comes out hot, bubbly and crispy on the bottom.

Great tips, Chicago! Thanks for sharing your version of the cast iron pizza oven! Irene @ KAF

7. bziol

Since it’s too hot here to turn on the oven, thanks for the idea for one of our meals this week. My son and I have perfected our pizza to be cooked in a toaster oven. Can already taste it – great pizza dough topped with homemade sauce and homemade Italian sausage with lots and lots of gooey cheese!!

8. skeptic7

I normally cook pizza in a cast iron frying pan. Whats really nice is that the 10 inch pizza pan has a lid. So I can put the whole wheat pizza dough in the pan, put the lid on top and have a safe place for the dough to rise before putting on the toppings. This is for a deep dish pizza.
    Frying pans have sides so you don’t have to worry about toppings or cheese falling off.
    Also pizza pans have handles and are easier to take out of the oven.
    I just put the pizza in a preheated oven and don’t bother with preheating the frying pan.

9. rcapitolo

My mama used to make pineapple upside down cake in a cast iron skillet. Amazing how she could flip that heavy pan. When she died, my sister and I fought over who would get those well seasoned pans. We compromised, and shared. Can’t wait to try the pizza tonight. Looks awesome. Thanks.
    How wonderful that you and your sister share those pans, and those memories. I’m sure your mom would have loved the idea of you both owning some of her pans. Happy baking! ~ MaryJane

10. elaine322

I don’t have a gas stove-mine has an electic glass cooktop. How would I go about the step of heating the pan before putting it in the oven with my stove? The recipe sounds fabulous and just the reason I need to finally buy a cast iron skillet, but I’m simply not sure about how to go about using it with my stove.
    I must admit I have no experience using cast iron on a glass cook top. Can anyone offer help to Elaine? ~ MaryJane

1. Ed A.

Cast Iron works fine on an electric glass flat top range, just be careful when moving pan around as these tops can be cracked!, Also try to have a pan with a nice smooth bottom. I use my Lodge on mine all the time. Making a pizza as I type this, looking forward to it!

11. dbarnes11269

I love cooking w/ cast iron and I love making pizza, but have never tried them together! I usually bake my pizza on a special stone insert with its own heating element that gets way up to 550 degrees (with convection fans), and they’re usually done in 6-7 minutes. Do you think 550 would be too hot with the cast iron, and maybe burn the crust before the middle is cooked?
    I’d say 550°F is a bit high, not for the pan itself, but for the crust in the pan. Try 500°F and see how that goes. ~ MaryJane

12. bellesouth

I will definitely try it. This summer I made homemade hamburger buns using my cast iron skillet on the grill. Amazingly good. Olive oil in the pan, allow buns to rise. Grill at 450. Skillet on the grill 3 to 4 minutes first side, flip and cook 3 to 4 min other side. Done.
    Good tip! I do love a grilled bun, and this sounds like I need to go for it with the cast iron. Thanks for sharing! ~Jessica

13. nanreyn

Pizzas are a speciality in my house. All my ingredients are the best, my sauce is homemade from my own tomatoes, and I have the greatest pizza pan! It was given to me many years ago by a family member. It’s got a cash iron interior and is enameled on the outside. Needless to say, it makes a good crispy crust, something that we all know is difficult to achieve in a home oven.

I also use tiles, but have a little trick. My husband and I went to the hardware store and bought plain red clay quarry tiles. They were dirt cheap, work beautifully, and are easy to store when you finish with them. We got the store clerk to cut a couple of them in half so that we get the right fit on the oven rack before baking our breads, pizza, etc. They tiles also work nicely on the gas grill when I make pita bread.

Here’s my problem though. I only have the one great pan! I would like to find another one like the one I have. So far, I have not been able to locate another cast iron, enameled pizza pan. Do the good folks at King Arthur know where I could find one?
    I haven’t seen a cast iron enameled pan in pizza pan shape, but I’d say try Emile Henry and Le Creuset for a start. ~ MaryJane

1. Rene Lemelin

Here is what I found. Quite pricey but it may be what you want.
      Mario Batali by Dansk™ Classic 12″ Pizza Pan & Griddle
      Price: $89.99 Each
      Brand: Mario Batali
      Colors: chianti, cobalt, persimmon
      Categories:
      Home > Kitchen > Cookware > Grill Pans & Griddles
      Mario Batali Classic Cookware offers even distribution of heat without hot spots and excellent heat retention. Durable enamel on cast iron requires no seasoning and is easy to clean. Cast iron pizza pan doubles as a griddle. Safe for gas, electric, induction, ceramic top ranges, and ovens. Lifetime warranty. Imported.

14. zzmz83

I’ve never done pizza in my cast iron pan, but will now. I keep my pan on the gas grill and cook 12 months a year in it. Thanks for a new use for my old pan.- zeke007
    Hope you enjoy the pizza Zeke. ~ MaryJane

15. JMH407

Way too hot here in FL, and I love crispy crust pizza, so I cook mine in my cast iron skillet completely on top of the stove. I just cook for a short time, then cover and cook until cheese is bubbly. Delish! And yes, I guess I’ll have pizza tonight. My mouth is watering! :)
    I’m so going to try the total cast iron on top of the stove method. Isn’t it great that we can share all these great tips across the miles? ~ MaryJane

16. lbcornett

Love pizza in my cast iron. I’ve been doing it for years also. After working at a nationwide pizza place, I knew I could get similar results at home and cast iron did the trick. I don’t cook the pizza on the stove first and my oven is preheated to 535 degrees then I turn it down to 525 degrees after I put the pizza in. That way the cast iron can soak up all that heat but the pizza will still cook at a nice high temp. The other thing I do is to use olive oil in the pan if I want a crispy crust and canola oil for not as crispy. My husband isn’t a fan of a crispier crust. I use more than just a touch of oil though! Still cook for 10 to 12 minutes. Pizza is a once a week at our house! Thanks for showing us a different way of cooking with the cast iron.
    Thanks for sharing. I’d love to use more oil on my crust to imitate Pizza Hut pizza but I’ve just lost 30 pounds, so I’m extra careful about the oil. Besides, with less oil I can have 2 pieces! :>) ~ MaryJane

17. nancy68978

I have several cast iron pans and use them frequently. In the house on the stove and also outside on the gas grill.

Have never tried pizza in them but sure would like to. I have a ceramic top stove so am wondering if I would still place the cold skillet on the med-high heat for 3 minutes? Or….maybe just do it in the very high heat in the oven, as Ibcornette does?
    From what I’m reading here in the comments, if you don’t more the pan around on the stovetop, you should be fine. Check out the other comments to see what you think. ~ MaryJane

18. Action_Kate

elaine322: we have a glass-top electric stove, which works perfectly well with a cast-iron skillet. “Medium-high” for us is around 6 or 7. We use our skillet to heat up tortillas to make quesadillas, and we’ve used it to bake cornbread, but I never thought about baking a pizza in it! I’ll have to ask my Nonna to whip up a batch of her famous Sicilian pizza in her cast-iron skillet and see how it comes out.

19. wdklein

When we have left-over pizza, I have for years re-heated it in my cast iron skillet right on the stove and cover it with a size appropiate lid. It re-heats perfectly every time in a matter of a few minutes. The crust is far better and more crunchy than when it first came out of the oven. Also, I have baked my pizza in my iron skilltet for many years and can not think of a better way to bake them! I use olive oil brushed lightly in the cold pan to give the crust that wonderful sound, crunch! Having been born and raised in FL, it is the prefered way to bake pizza on a hot, humid, summer’s day.

20. luckypalm

Many of my cast iron skillets are over 30 years old (well seasoned!) and have used them on a variety of stoves including an electric ceramic cooktop. I use them as I would any pan on any stove except that yeah, they do get really hot and last *forever*.

I bought the dutch oven new and it seems more prone to rust than my older skillets but then it doesn’t get used as often.

21. Pat B from MN

I have not tried to cook a pizza on the stove top, but I do have 3 cast iron pizza pans that I love. I preheat them in the oven at 450-475 degrees and sprinkle them with cornmeal and then I put on the pizza dough and toppings and back into the oven. The cast iron also work well for tater tots/ fries in the oven. I adore my collection of cast iron pans, nothing is better and everyone in the family knows not to mess them up. No soap for cleanup only hot water so it does not interfere with the seasoning and wipe dry. I look forward to trying this technique. I will also have to borrow my husband’s infared thermometer too.

22. fairygrandmother

I use cast iron on my glass top, and have never had a problem. Use it the same way as on a gas burner. The main thing I am careful about is not scooting the cast iron, as it usually has some burrs on the bottom that may scratch. Put it down easy and don’t move it around.
    I use 2 cast iron round griddles (with a handle) to bake my pizza, and have for years. I don’t use a stone with it.

Now for corn bread in cast iron, melt your shortening in a cast iron skillet on the cooktop and after putting the shortening into the mix, keep the skillet hot on the stove top. Then pour the batter into the hot skillet. You get instant rise. Put it in the oven to finish baking. You will get the best crunchy edge on the cornbread and that is my favorite part. I learned that from my mother and she learned it from her mother, and the generation before her. I have my great grandmother’s cast iron, and I have been using it for 47 years. You never have to replace it if you treat it right.
    Thanks so much for sharing the cornbread recipe. My hubby likes the crispy part, and I like the soft center, so it’s a pretty good match. ~ MaryJane

23. drharding

We’ve been making pizza in a cast iron dutch oven for years whenever we go camping. There’s nothing better than the smell of fresh pizza wafting throughout the entire campground! We like a fairly thick crust so I usually pre-bake the dough before putting all the toppings on so the dough isn’t “doughy” in the middle. Part of the “doughy” problem might be because of the elevation. We’re usually at 6,000 – 9,000 ft elevation. But it tastes great.
    If I knew about cast iron pizza back when we used to camp, we’d probably still own our pop-up. I’m sure your fellow campers are green with envy, not to mention the little woodland critters! ~ MaryJane

24. argentyne

I have an enameled cast iron dutch oven. Do you think that would work for pizza? it’s awfully deep, so getting the pizza out would be a pain, but I can’t afford to buy a new cast iron pan at the moment.
    I think it would work just fine. I’ve made pizza in my 4″ deep cast iron dutch oven. It is a bit harder to get out, but still comes out beautifully. ~ MaryJane

25. Brenda

Think I may try pizza in cast iron some time soon, see how the brick oven pizza does cooking totally on the stove top. Maybe throw in the toaster oven to broil if necessary.

26. waikikirie

30 pounds!!!! You go MaryJane. Working in the test kitchen and losing some serious poundage….you gotta share your tips to success. Can’t wait to give this one a try. I have some old cast iron and this is just the recipe to get me to reseaon those pans. As always, you guys ROCK. xoxo
    Thanks! It has been tough to skip all the wonderful goodies in the kitchens, but sometimes just one or two bites is enough, instead of a whole piece. Cupcakes and icing are still my weakness. 30 minutes of yoga a day helps a lot. :). ~ MaryJane

27. MarshaJP

I have always printed a copy of your recipes. What happened to the print option?
    Marsha, the print option is still available and is on the recipe page itself. Click on the link to the recipe, and right above the ‘directions’ it says “Printable Version”. Let us know if you are having troubles, and we’d be happy to send you the recipe via the post. ~Jessica

28. Sue

I bake often in cast iron. I actually have a set only for baking bread because they tend to hold flavors of whatever you cooked last. I can’t wait to try pizza!
    Hope you enjoy it, Sue! ~Jessica

29. mboone5758

I have my late Father’s 9 inch cast iron skillet. Photos of it go back to the mid 30s; one shows a fish being fried in it with the taik sticking up. I make cornbread and always a Pineapple Upside Down cake for my birthday.

I have a dutch oven, and a 10, 12, and 14 inch iron skillets. I paid $5 for the 3 at a yard sale about 15 years ago. They are well seasoned.

Cooking for one, but those skillets make the best fried green tomatoes; fried okra the other night.

Drawn to this post because of the cast iron. Alas, allergic to dairy, wheat, and tomatoes, so pizza is not part of my life. Take Claritin and I can eat tomatoes.

I have a corn stick pan and a muffin pan in cast iron too. Mmm makes great popovers in that muffin pan. Too hot in ATL for the oven, but in a few months, I will use my pans multi times per week. Right now–just use them on the gas grill.

30. lindadv

My mom received a Griswold 10″ cast iron fry pan with a lid for a wedding present 60 years ago. She used it for years on a glass cook top. We called it the magic pan because dinner always showed up even after Mom said that she didn’t have any ideas for a meal. That is one well seasoned pan and I have dibs on it, I am the oldest after all! We never made pizza in it so that will be on the list of things to cook when the pan comes to my house.
    What a treasure! I hope it magically makes dinner appear at your house too. ~ MaryJane

31. MGW960W

I use a cast iron pan on my smooth top electric stove. Just be sure the pan has a smooth bottom for good heat transfer. Some are made with ridges around the edge that would lessen the surface-to-surface contact. Thanks for the great idea for pizza.

32. Janet

Here’s a tip I picked up on another blog that has done a lot of research on cast iron skillet pizza:

Using olive oil, saute the sausage or veggies that go on top in the cast iron skillet first. Remove these items but do not remove the oil. Put your dough in the hot skillet, pile on the toppings and bake. I have had really good results with this method.
    oohh, great idea to cook the pizza in the same oil as the toppings were cooked in. Definitely would put you on the boat to Flavor Island. ~ MaryJane

33. "Joni M from St. Louis"

I was going to ask you if I could buy one of those smell-o-vision thingies, but frankly I think I can smell it anyway so I guess I don’t need one :) because even here at 7:45 am, my mouth is drooling for that pizza!!! I am so excited as I just found a Lodge cast iron square griddle with a lip (not the one with the raised grills but a flat one), and this will no doubt be it’s first project! Oh my goodness, even though I’m so thankful to have one, perhaps this job is in the way of serious baking this day…Thank you so much again for such a delightful new way to do pizza!!!
    How lucky that you recently acquired a griddle! We hope you enjoy the recipe. :) ~Jessica

34. sourorangepie

I like to use my cast iron for warming up leftover pizza on the stovetop. The bottom crust gets nice and crisp and if you stick a lid over the top the rest heats well.

35. tillytootles1

I have been cooking and baking since I was 10 years old. My mother always used the cast iron fry pan. I use to make a lot of cakes and entered them in our local county fair. I would always make a piineapple upside down cake and I would bake it in the large cast iron fry pan. I always took the blue ribbon in that class. I had a friend and she wanted my recipe. I gave it to her and she told me that was the same recipe that she made. Then she wanted to know why mine was so much better. I asked her if she baked it in a cast iron pan. She told me that she did not even own a cast iron pan. I told her that that was the secret to making a good pineapple upside down cake. I am going to try a pizza in it next. You are never too old to learn new things.
    And I’m going to try pineapple upside-down cake in my cast iron too. Thanks for sharing. ~ MaryJane

36. gingerc99

I can’t believe I’ve never heard of this before. Pizza is my 6 year old son and I’s favorite dinner to make together. After seeing this yesterday, it was immediately put on the menu for tonight. WE LOVE IT!! The crust is heavenly crisp. I’m going to have to beg for another one of my grandma’s cast iron skillets so I can make more of this at once. Thanks for passing on another great idea! It will be a regular for us now. (and I’m definitely going to have to try pineapple upside down cake in mine too)
    Awesome! I’m so glad you guys enjoyed it. If you go to yard sales, keep your eyes open, you can sometimes get good cast iron skillets for just a few bucks. ~ MaryJane

37. cgmeyer219590

i have an older electric cooktop that does not hold temp well – gets really hot & then cools off. any suggestions for starting & cooking on my cooktop. i also live in phoenix, az – today we are predicting 116 F. ; obviously, i’m not cooking in my oven

thanks, claudia
    Hi Claudia,
    I haven’t tried the stove top only method, but check out some of the other comments to see if that can give you an idea of where to start.

If anyone has specifics for Claudia, please post here. Thanks! ~ MaryJane

38. Marshajp

I did as suggested and clicked on the recipe link. I saw ‘Directions’ but no where did I see ‘Printable Version’. Don’t send the recipe by post as I print a lot of your recipes and have for years. What else can I try?
    I’m sorry to hear you’re having difficulties. Here is what you should see when you go to the recipe page. If you are still having some trouble, here is the actual link here. Hope this will do the trick! ~Jessica

39. bwasdovitch38

Wow! Have I been underutilizing my cast iron cookware or what?! Thanks for this posting. Can’t wait to make my next pizza in cast iron. I’ve been making some great pizza since getting a convection oven. They get a beautiful brown, bubbly finish when I kick in convection baking the last 4-5 minutes. And they always come out great on my Big Green Egg. This will be yet another tool for making great pizza. Thanks!
    A Big Green Egg is on my someday-when-I’m-rich wish list. I may have to try pizza on the smoker before the summer is over. ~ MaryJane

40. Goatenheim

How well would this work for a thin crust like napoletana?
    I would think you would need to cut down on the stove top time to avoid burning. Try one minute, then into the hot oven. ~ MaryJane

41. Heather

A while back a few friends and were talking about how to get that Pizza Hut Crisp on our crust and now I know the answer. I’ll have to try it soon.

Cast Iron is great. We do a little dutch oven cooking and it’s amazing that those cast iron pans really become an oven. We bake biscuits in our pans a lot when we go camping. You could use charcoal outside if you don’t want to heat up your oven and you have a lid for your pan.

42. Aaron Frank

Le Creuset makes some enamel covered cast iron skillets that would are pizza shaped. I have a couple but have never thought to try pizza in one until now. It is supposed to be non-stick so while we don’t season it oil coating the bottom will be necessary.

Thanks

43. Mariah

I tried the pizza a la Mariah. Couldn’t find the directions so I fudged it. My burner is 17000 btus so I had it on less than medium. It’s a good thing or it would have burnt. 12 ” Lodge skillet for 10 mins. It was a thick dough, heavy sauce with sausage/meat balls crumbled on top. They contained Italian peppers, onion and garlic simmered till soft, then added to the 1/2 italian sausage 1/2 ground beef 15%. Also 2 eggs, panko crumbs and other yummy seasoning.
    Ok back to the pizza. Dough from the oiled bag, to the oiled pan. Added fresh onion and garlic and more fresh italian roaster pepper. Soft mutz, all over and to the stove. I put it on my largest burner but the pan was to large so I kept turning the pan so the hot med low flame would hit it all. Nice brown after 10 minutes, of course I peeked and made sure it was cooking evenly and not sticking, and into a 450 oven. That is what I always cook pizza temp wise. It took 15 min. I checked it after 10 and reset it for 5. It was perfect. Crunchy and cooked through and cheese melted and browned. Sauce was warmed before putting on.
    Next time I will use a thinner dough or a thinner dough and a smaller pan. It was tricky cutting it in the pan and too sloppy to remove. It would have come out, the slop would have been sauce and stuff on the cutting board.
    A good time was had by all.

What a baking journey! Thanks for sharing your tips. Irene @ KAF

44. Annie_P

I just got onto this web site for the first time today and I am very excited. I used King Arthur Flour products when I attended culinary school and have been using the wheat flour at home for a while. I was looking for a waffle mix recipe and got onto the site this morning. The waffles were delicious. I started reading about all your products and can’t decide what to order first. Then I got into this blog about pizza in cast iron and I know what I will be having tonight. I have tried regular pizza, pizza on the grill and now this. It looks wonderful, especially the bottom of the crust. The comments are also very helpful. Thanks.
    We’re glad to hear you’ve found us, Annie! Hope you enjoy the site, and have fun with the pizza tonight! :) ~Jessica@KAF

45. AmyK

Wow, this was a great way to make a pizza. We just finished our version using my mom’s pizza crust recipe with slightly oven-dried grape tomatoes (from my dad’s garden), goat cheese, fresh mozzarella, and garlic and fresh basil from our garden. This is definitely going in the keeper file. THANK YOU!!!!!

46. dgcbooth

This was incredible. I didn’t even have time to raise my dough so it just went straight to the pans after I mixed it. I did brush the dough with a little olive oil before putting on the sauce to try and help it not be soggy, but I don’t know if it was necessary. It was sooooo nice not having to pre-bake my crust and still having it bake all of the way through! I used a 12″, 10″, and 8″ pans to accommodate my 5 c. flour dough. Thx!

47. Jess

What should the bottom crust look like after 3 minutes on the stove top? I made 3 different size pizzas on burners with 3 different outputs, so I wasn’t sure which one(s) were done after 3 minutes and which ones maybe needed a bit longer. Sadly, I don’t have one of those infrared gadgets…
    Hi Jess,
    Sorry for any confusion. The stove top part of the recipe isn’t meant to make the pizza “done”, it just to heat the pan and get the crust started cooking. The rest of the cooking will all take place in the oven, so that’s when you’d check the pizza to be sure the fillings, toppings, cheese, etc. are all hot and bubbly and the crust is all browned. Hope this helps. ~ MaryJane

48. dgcbooth

fyi, @Jess, I used 3 different sized pans and did all three for 3 minutes on the stove top. I then put my largest pan on the top rack (positioned at about top 1/3 of the oven) and my two other pans on the bottom rack (bottom 1/3 of the oven). When the timer went out, I pulled the bottom two out (perfect!), checked the crust on the top one and ended up moving it to the bottom rack for 4 minutes. That was my only difference between all of the pans. good luck!

49. cartvl219

I just checked out the Lodge website. They make a 14″ pizza/roasting pan. It’s kind of pricey – almost $60 but maybe some of the discount kitchenware sites will have it for less. Or maybe Ebay. I don’t make pizza often enough any more to justify that kind of expense (plus kitchen storage space!!) but my taste buds are getting cranked up for pizza so I’ll have to get out the frying pan :). A new baking adventure thanks to KAF!!!
    I also found in the Chefs catalog an enameled pizza pan. I think it was by Emile Henry but not positive. Don’t recall the price.
    Carolyn

50. Dutch Oven Pizza

I have used my Dutch ovens for pizza while camping…..using charcoal. It was great…and what a special treat when camping. The top was nicely browned and the crust was also. I have been using my dutch ovens in the kitchen for pizza since then.

51. Mehitabel

I made the dough recipe and divided it- it was definitely best the second time two days later. I took the chilled dough from the refrigerator, let it rest for about ten minutes, and then pushed it into an oiled cast iron skillet.

The first time I made the recipe, 400 degrees seemed a bit low, so the second time I used 500 and put the dough and skillet into the oven for about a minute as it was preheating, just to warm the pan and let the dough puff a little. I then topped it, put it over high heat for 4 minutes, and then baked for about 9. The crust was well above average- light and airy inside, crisp on the bottom. It didn’t become overly moist from the sauce ( I think this was helped by the one-minute “fluffing” in the preheating oven and by not topping it until the last second), and the cheese was nicely melted and browned.

This will definitely stay in my repertoire, and I think it would be a nice way to make pizza on the barbecue as well. It would still have the smoky flavor without oozing through the grill or getting blackened on the bottom.

52. Jhwkdoc@yahoo.com

Question about the number of rises. I see this recipe and a similar one by CI let’s the dough rise the first time then punches down shapes and bakes. I saw a similar recipe at Serious Eats where after the first rise and punch down, they shape into ball, let rise 2nd time in oiled skillet then shape and bake. What does one v two rises do to the dough?

The rises allow the yeast to become more active, but only up to a certain point. Because the yeast feed on the sugars in the dough (from the starches in the flour and any added sugar), they will only remain active while they are fed: if you allow the dough to continually rise repeatedly, the yeast will eventually run out of food and start to die off, resulting in unleavened bread. The other part of this–deflating the dough–means the gases produced by the yeast are expelled until you want to bake the dough. Degassing the dough is important because yeast find the gases toxic and they can hinder their activity. Also, when a dough has too much air in it, it will collapse on itself when baked, resulting in a flatter loaf/crust/roll. Also, if the yeast are allowed to nibble on all the sugars in the dough, the crust will bake up pale in color, so you do not want to do too many rises. However, three shorter rises vs. two normal ones will have similar results, so just be aware of how long each recipe states to allow the dough to rise. I hope this helps clear things up a bit! Best, Kim@KAF

53. Corrabelle

I know this is an older post but commenting anyway…I actually use the bottom of my cast iron skillets for pizza all the time.
    I leave it,upside down in the oven while I preheat the oven.
    I roll out the pizza and make it, slip it onto a peel, and then slide it on to the hot, upside down skillet that’s already piping hot :)
    Sometimes I put a bit of cornmeal on the bottom of the crust to prevent sticking. Works like a charm!

I use the inside of the pan if I’m doing a deep dish though ;)