Banana Fudge Cookies: OR how I got my marriage proposal

BananaFudgeCookies

As many of you know, when you taste test samples here at the King Arthur test kitchen, you’re required to “Bite and Write.” Sure, everyone loves to bite into cakes, cookies, and ice cream. When the email pops up saying “warm brownies in the kitchen” our hallway can resemble that stampede scene from Jurassic Park.

Every once in awhile we have to send out a reminder with such wording as, “I know someone has been biting, but no one is writing. My test cookies are half gone, and I only have one comment!” Most of the time, though, the comments are great and very helpful.

If your comment jar is full of yabuts, you know you still have a little work to do on the recipe.

What’s a yabut?  It’s when you ask a question and get “Yeah, but…” for an answer.

“Son, did you wreck the car?” “Yeah, but… there was this cat in the road.”

“Child of mine, did you shave the dog?” “Yeah, but… he looked hot.”

In the recipe world, if you get comments such as “I liked the flavor, yeah, but… it was dry,” it’s time to keep working on the recipe. Every now and then, though, the planets and stars align just right and there isn’t a yabut in sight. In fact, every now and then, you get a comment for the ages. One that sticks out and stays with you forever.

Wanna see one?

There tucked in the jar with the other positive comments was a genuine winner. Yep, I’d been proposed to.

OK, before you start breaking out the champagne and throwing rice, you have to know I’ve been happily married for 21 years. So has the proposal writer. Not to each other, we both love our husbands to death, but this was our Web guru Tracy’s way of telling me that she loved the recipe and loved me for making it. You can’t ask for much more than that, now can you?

I keep the paper taped to my computer monitor. I use it as a reminder to strive for excellence in my work and as a reminder that baking brings joy.

Let’s bring some joy to your table. Let’s make Banana Fudge Cookies.

In the bowl of your mixer place:

1/2 cup butter, very soft
1 cup sugar

Beat the butter and sugar for two minutes, to fluff and combine. Beat in 1 large room-temperature egg, and 1 teaspoon vanilla until you have a smooth mixture.

Add:

1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 cup King Arthur All-Purpose Baking Cocoa
1 3/4 cups (7 1/4 ounces) King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour

Normally I’d mix the dry ingredients in a small bowl first, to combine them well and remove any lumps, but I’m guessing this batch was made prior to morning coffee.

Beat the dry and wet ingredients together until you have a fairly stiff but not dry dough.

Preheat the oven to 350°F and line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Scoop out walnut-sized balls of dough and shape them into rounds with the palms of your hands. A tablespoon cookie scoop makes this job a breeze.

Place each ball of dough on the parchment paper with about 2″ in between. With your thumb, make a depression in the center, like a bird’s nest. Repeat with each ball of dough.

Set the sheets aside while you make the fudge topping.

In a microwave-safe bowl, combine 1 cup chocolate chips and 1/4 cup sweetened condensed milk.

Heat the chocolate chips and condensed milk for 40 to 60 seconds. Stir until smooth. Avoid over-heating or the topping will dry out.

A beautiful chocolate swirled galaxy.

Scoop out some of the fudge topping, about 2 teaspoons’ worth. Roll into a ball, then flatten between your palms. This is the fudge “cap” that will cover your cookies.

Into the center of each “nest” place a 1/4″ slice of fresh peeled banana.* Top with a fudge cap.

Press and mold into place. Don’t worry about the small cracks, those are normal. If the fudge topping won’t roll smoothly or has large cracks, add a touch more condensed milk.

Not really into banana? Try pecans, walnuts, cashews, or cherries. Anything you’d pair with chocolate would go well with these cookies. These cookies have pecans inside and out.

Bake the fudge-topped cookies for 10 to 12 minutes. The centers will sink in a bit, creating a little ring of fudge.  I love nibbling off the extra cookie edge before diving into a big center bite.

Do you take this cookie to be your lawfully-wedded cookie? To have and to hold from this day forward? Well, maybe for just a few minutes, while you pour a big glass of cold milk!

Please bake, rate, and review our recipe for Banana Fudge Cookies.

SHARE your favorite proposal/engagement/wedding stories in the comments below. After all, ’tis wedding season.

MaryJane Robbins

comments

1. "elianna m"

This is so funny – I’m actually getting married on Friday, so my mind is on all things wedding. :)

I won’t share the _whole_ how-he-proposed story, other than to say that God blessed me with the man of my dreams _and_ the proposal of my dreams (which is extra amazing because I’d never told Dan what my dream was, but I got it – a total surprise, down on one knee with white Christmas lights twinkling in the snow on my parents’ back porch, just before Christmas…)

…but what I _will_ share is that I’ve been making this recipe http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/kids-choice-chip-and-fruit-oatmeal-cookies-recipe ever since we first started getting close, and to this day they’re my sweetheart’s favorite cookie. :) Very closely followed, by the way, by http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/soft-ginger-molasses-cookies-and-ginger-syrup-recipe! And his Dad’s favorite? http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/chocolate-cream-pie-recipe

Thank you, King Arthur team, for being with us all the way… and I’ll have you know that your recipes are coming with me all the way into this new adventure of marriage! :)
    OOHHH! How wonderful! My parents will be celebrating their 50th next month, so just keep believing in the true love you have and you’ll weather any storm together. I hope you’ll keep us posted on how the big day went. Our very best to you!!!! ~ MJ

2. "Paul from Ohio"

I’m thinking a dollop of Peanut Butter instead of the banana might get me a marriage proposal – LOL! Way to go MJ and keep those notes coming KAF’ers snagging the great snacking from the test kitchen. But hey, I’ve found it’s a good idea to follow a recipe as written for at least the first ‘test’ of the recipe, before you go about changing it up!
    Oh, yeah peanut butter. You could even go with peanut butter then banana on top, then fudge. NOM! ~ MJ

3. SallyBR

My gosh, this sounds just incredibly good… I love chocolate, I love bananas, I love a cookie…

my husband would marry me all over again, I bet

I wish I could find time to bake a batch this weekend….

(does it have calories, you think? ;-)
    In my professional opinion, when the cookies are covered in fudge, the calories get smothered and no longer exist. I hope this helps ease your mind. ;) ~ MJ

4. gaitedgirl

Yep, MJ, slab some peanut butter in there instead of a banana and I bet my husband will renew our wedding vows on the spot! :-D Chocolate and peanut butter were a quick way into my husband’s heart… well, that and homemade spaghetti but that’s another tale for another time. Thanks MJ and I’ll let you know how the vow renewal goes this weekend ;)

@SallyBR – calories become non-existent once the cookies are consumed. Something cannot have calories if it isn’t there!

Thanks for the kind and funny words! I LOVE peanut butter and chocolate, too. Will have to add that to the bucket list! Kim@KAF

5. Another MJ

Ooh…peanut butter. I know what I’m baking my brother-in-law for his birthday! :)

Birthdays, Fridays, every other morning: I’d bake these for any reason! I’m sure he’ll be thrilled for the birthday treats, though! Kim@KAF

6. twomastiff

Oh My Gosh! I wanna make these today!! BUT . . . I’m lactose intolerant. I have the butter thing covered, but any thoughts on a sub for the sweetened condensed milk? What a wonderful recipe!
    I do believe there are coconut versions of sweetened condensed milk easily available on the market. ~Amy

7. pupsmom

I think peanut butter or banana qualifies this as a health food… doesn’t it?
    We like the way you think! :) ~Amy

8. AnneMarie

and chocolate is an antioxidant…so it’s all good :D
    Hurray! We’ve made healthy cookie choices today! ~ MJ

9. sarahh

Peanut butter is full of protein. Bananas are a fruit. Both health food. And if you put them together….

I’m thinking I would make several kinds from one batch – a few peanut butter, a few banana, a few pecan, a few almond and a few with maraschino cherries. Do they work with no filling? My purist of a son would prefer them that way.
    I’m sure you can just do fudge on chocolate, no filling needed. Great idea to make different fillings in one batch. ~ MJ

10. Nicole

Twelve years ago my [now] husband and I were living in different provinces and meeting up in a third province to attend our friends’ wedding. I called him up and said “why don’t we get married this weekend too?” He said “sure”. So we did! Afterwards we had a nice lunch with our best men (I had a man of honour) and hopped a plane to the province I was living in. We had a one day honey moon before he left. Five months later my job finished and we finally moved in together, and the best is yet to come.

I’ll have to try these cookies out but he likes all cookies. He’s non-discriminatory that way. 8)
    What a lovely story! It is nice to know you both are so spontaneous, I’m sure it will lead to many more adventures along the way. ~ MJ

11. Kathy

Do you think you could use caramels–bits or regular size?
    I think caramels would be great. The softer kind, about half of a standard “square” caramel. ~ MJ

12. argentyne

I think I desperately need about a million of these cookies right now.

And unfortunately I just cleaned out the fridge completely (like literally threw out everything except some maple syrup, some ketchup, and my sourdough starter.)

Guess these will have to go on the shopping list for next week.

want want want want want want.
    Wow, that is a heck of a fridge clean-out. BUT, now you are free to fill it up with all of the goodies for summer baking. I think I’m a little jealous! ~ MJ

13. KAF_Keri

I’m thinking almond paste with a dollop of raspberry jam, and then the fudge on top. That way we have dairy, fruit, grain and protein – a well balanced meal!
    I KNEW I liked you for so many reasons! What time will you bringing over a warm batch? ~ MJ

14. "Linda S"

Another filling that would be yummy is to stick a Rolo ( or a mini-Reese’s cup) inside…the possibilities are as endless as we are hungry! :-D
    I used to make a version of the Rolo cookies, but it didn’t have the fudge topping. I’ve been waiting until the weather cools a bit to try more versions of these. Can’t wait for everyone to share their versions! ~ MJ

15. TracyT

Seriously, MJ. They were delish. Make them again and I’ll ask you to marry me again! ;)

I can already hear the wedding bells! Now there is only one question remaining…who is making the cake?!-Jon

16. lorrainesfav

MJ: The best recipes are always from you guys at KAF. I for sure hooked my husband with my cooking 40 years ago. He didn’t know what came over him and we married within 3 months. I was thinking….how about a dollop of Nutella in the middle?
    Awww, that is so sweet! Sometimes it doesn’t take long to know when the right thing comes along. For the Nutella, I think it would work just fine. Just be sure to “seal” the edges so the goodness doesn’t bubble out. ~ MJ

17. "Mike Nolan"

I made these last night and they are very good, the suggestions about using Nutella, peanut butter, pecans, etc make this a very versatile recipe.

Two comments: The recipe doesn’t indicate if the baked cookies need to be refrigerated due to the banana in them.

Also, I think the instructions are a bit off on measuring the fudge, it calls for two teaspoons per cookie, I scaled it at .35 ounces and that appears to be more like 1 teaspoon.
    The cookies are safe being left at room temperature! ~Amy

18. Basilmomma Heather Tallman

I not only love this post but the recipe looks fantastic!
    I love that their are options for inside besides banana so I can shake it up a bit depending on what I have on hand :)
    Great Job!
    Can’t wait to hear about all the fun options you’ve tried. ~ MJ

19. misoranomegami

What with it being fresh banana how well do these keep? Are these an eat them all the same day or do you think they could last a few days on the counter?
    They could definitely last a few days! The banana is very safe inside that fudgy cookie! :)