Gluten-Free peach cobbler: Humble and heavenly

GF-PeachCobbler2_900w

Every summer, I wait for Pennsylvania peaches to arrive at our local co-op here in Vermont/New Hampshire’s Upper Valley.

When I was a kid, we’d drive through the Amish country of Lancaster while visiting family, stopping at local farms to load up on on produce and homemade jams to take home with us.

Occasionally, my little brother and I would score a bouncy horse-and-buggy ride, if there was time, while Mom and Dad debated what would survive the ride home. Or more importantly, what would even fit in the car amongst all of our other vacation collections!

I can remember trying to comprehend what life would be like without cars and electricity as I watched women rub hand-made aprons and dresses up and down a metal washboard into a bin of murky, lightly sudsed water.

The simple, slower-paced life, where less is more. Something I long for today as the world spins – racing into full-speed- faster, better, more advanced.

Is it, though? I, for one, could do without the rush and much of the fancy beeps and such.

But I CAN’T do without peaches, can YOU? And there are so many delicious ways to share them with your friends, so I’d like to share one of my favorites with you: peach cobbler.

The REALLY cool thing about this recipe? It’s made with our latest launch from the King Arthur Flour test kitchen: gluten-free all-purpose baking mix! It’s fresh off the presses, onto your store shelves, and it will simplify your baking life.

Hopefully you can use fresh peaches for this cobbler; you’ll need 2 1/2 cups of sliced, juicy, peaches for your cobbler.

If you’re making this dessert outside of peach season, though, you’ll need to thaw frozen fruit completely, draining any excess liquid.

In order to have this recipe and blog ready for you for the peach harvest, I had to begin working on it in the late weeks of winter and early spring – so frozen peaches it was!

We’re always thinking ahead in time here in the KAF test kitchen. Right now, we’re already at the tail end of holiday planning for our Baker’s Catalogue, which means the Christmas cookies have already been decorated for photography just as warmer weather is settling in for the summer. It’s a bit odd to be cutting out gingerbread men and decorating peppermint yule logs in spring, to be honest.

The rushing ahead causes a mild case of displacement (kind of like walking through a store that’s selling Christmas decorations in October), but as long as I don’t hear refrains of “Jingle Bells” and “Frosty the Snowman” echoing from within the kitchen walls, I try not to worry about it too much.

All right, back to THE fruit of summer. Let’s whip up some cobbler!

Drain the extra liquid left after the thaw, and set fruit aside. Preheat your oven to 375°F.

Melt 1/4 cup (4 tablespoons) butter in the bottom of an 8″ square or 9″ round baking pan. I conveniently threw mine into the preheating oven!

To make the batter, combine 1 cup King Arthur All-Purpose Gluten-Free Baking Mix with 1/2 cup sugar.

Add 3/4 cup milk and 1 large egg.

The mixture will have the consistency of thin pancake batter.

To prepare the peaches, toss them with the following:

• 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
  • a pinch of salt

Pour the batter into the prepared pan, followed by the peaches

Distribute the fruit uniformly over the batter.

Bake the cobbler for about 40 to 45 minutes…

…or until the top is lightly browned and the fruit is bubbling.

Allow the cobbler to cool at least 5 to 10 minutes before serving.

GF-PeachCobbler_900w

Now THAT was easy AND it sure is easy to love this one, especially with a spoonful of soft cinnamon whipped cream, or a scoop of vanilla or ginger ice-cream. It’s a simple, peasant- style dessert that can be comforting and warm, or cooling and fresh.

Celebrate peach season with us by sharing your favorite ways to serve this popular stone fruit; we’d love to hear your feedback!

Please read, bake, and review our recipe for Gluten-Free Peach Cobbler made with Baking Mix.

Amy Trage

Amy Trage is a native of Vermont where she spent much of her childhood skiing and training for the equestrian event circuit. With a strong desire to pursue food writing, Amy took her English degree from Saint Anselm College to the New England Culinary Institute ...

comments

1. Paul from Ohio

Ah yes, Peach Cobbler – a MUST have summer treat. Love the background lead story Amy. Childhood holds special little nuggets of memories for most all of us. It is so ‘real’ to read of yours. Thanks for sharing. The recipe I use for Peach Cobbler is prepped in this same way – not GF….but hey, this IS how one needs to make Peach Cobbler. Hugz from Ohio!

Thanks for the kind words Paul! Now that it is cool, I think peach cobbler is on my list to bake this week.-Jon

2. Rebecca Scheckler

Please give additional ingredients if making with gluten free flour

You will want to approximate a cake-like batter and this may take some tweaking, but I would start with: a scant cup of GF flour, 1/2 tsp of xanthan gum, 1 teaspoon of baking powder, and 1/4 tsp of salt. Blend together with the sugar and then proceed as the recipe states. Kim@KAF

3. Lynn Paul

Mmmmmmmm….I’ve been making a fruit with something on top, I’ll have to try this version now…..mmmmmmmmmmm

Please let us know how you like it once you make the recipe!-Jon

4. Janie Dee

So does this cobbler have 1 of sugar divided or is this a mistake? Would hate to waste the peaches with double sugar. Thanks in advance
    The recipe and blog are correct as written. There is 1/2 cup of sugar in the peach mixture and 1/2 cup in the batter. ~Amy

5. Lynn Paul

Tasty, but isn’t this really a buckle or slump or some such? I made a bigger pan so there would be plenty for futures. I like the mix for ease of use, no chance of missing one of many ingredients as happens so often in our baking!

A buckle is more of a coffee cake. This recipe is a true cobbler! Hope you enjoyed it and really glad you like our new mix!

6. Judy Geimer

I tried this yesterday using fresh peaches and it is delicious. We enjoyed it with vanilla ice cream. I love the new K.A. Baking mix and was glad to see your announcement in my e-mail and actually found it in my Meijer Store here in Indiana the next day. I have frozen peaches for later this winter when the taste of a fresh peach cobbler would be heavenly. Thanks for developing the K.A. Brand Baking Mix.

1. PJ Hamel

I know, Tracy, isn’t that GOOD? GF baking doesn’t have to be so-so – it can be so, so, WONDERFUL. :) PJH

1. PJ Hamel

Do you have the formula for using flax gel as an egg substitute? Here it is:
      Flax gel egg replacer: For 1 large egg, use 2 tablespoons flax meal (the more finely ground, the better) blended with 3 tablespoons cold water. Let for 10 minutes to thicken.
      No guarantees, but I’d say it’s worth a try – PJH

1. PJ Hamel

Don’t see why not, Sheila. Should fit in a 9″ x 13″ pan, and would definitely fit in two 9″ round or two 8″ square pans. Enjoy – PJH

7. Dru

I wonder if the KA Yellow Cake Mix could be used for the batter, perhaps thinning it down some with extra peach juice or milk?

1. MaryJane Robbins

Sounds a lot like a dump cake Dru. I bet there are plenty of cake based recipes out there. ~ MJ

8. Ida Dohoney

In the next week my daughter and I are going to afarm that has a peach orchard and we can pick Fresh peaches. I will be trying this receipe for my hubby. Peach cobblers in our family are on the summer menue.

And what better way to enjoy a cobbler than with peaches just picked up fresh from the farm! Happy baking! Jocelyn@KAF

9. Katie

This was amazing served hot and cold! And especially with vanilla ice cream. It’s definitely one of my new favorite gluten free recipes. Thank you!

It is hard to beat a peach cobbler, gluten free or otherwise and I am happy to hear that you have been enjoying ours. Jon@KAF

10. Terri Bolt

I have an allergy to milk and lactaid does the same to me. I drink Almond milk. Would Almond milk work as the subsitute? Should I use original or unsweet?

Almond milk will work fine; I tend to use either unsweetened or reduced sugar. Either will work quite well! Jon@KAF

11. melissa

we made this with king arthur almond meal flour ( about 1/4 cup more than your recipe called for), silk original almond milk and splenda sugar blend sweetener (we only used half of the sugar called for in your recipe). it was very quick and easy to make – my 16 year old daughter did the peaches and mixture and i did the batter part of the recipe. it was delicious! it had a pudding-ish kind of texture so maybe we should have baked it longer. we will definitely make this again – big hit with the fam!