Pumpkin doughnuts: BAKED to perfection

DSC_5815

If you’re going to bake just ONE THING this month (or this week, or today – choose your preferred frequency)…

Let it be these cinnamon-y pumpkin cake doughnuts.

As a test baker here at King Arthur Flour, I clearly do a lot of baking.

And I enjoy most of it. Oh sure, there’s the odd failure now and then. But on those occasions I simply sigh, walk out back to the treeline, and leave what’s sure to be a nice meal for the squirrels, birds, and other scavengers who might appreciate a change from their usual bugs and seeds.

I don’t even make them fill out a taste-test form.

Burned? Underbaked? Too much baking soda?

“I’m good with that,” say the skunks.

But these doughnuts – they were a grand-slam home run the very first time they came to bat.

I recently brought a cooling rack of warm pumpkin doughnuts into our Web office late one afternoon.

Maybe it was the end-of-the-day doldrums. Or lunch was too long ago, and dinner not nearly imminent enough.

But I prefer to think the enthusiastic response to the doughnuts was based purely on their own sweet merits.

Tasting wonderfully of pumpkin and autumn’s typical spices (cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg), these moist, tender baked doughnuts (yes, BAKED doughnuts) disappeared in 1 minute flat, accompanied by much eye-rolling and groans of pleasure. (Hey, remember, we work for King Arthur Flour; food is a subject of great interest and appreciation around here!)

A few weeks later, as an icebreaker at our weekly Web meeting, I asked everyone, “What’s your favorite breakfast?

Answers ranged from the simple (buttered toast with cheddar cheese), to the popular (chocolate chip pancakes), to the gourmet (shiitake omelet with shallots, a sprinkle of Vermont cheese powder, and sourdough bread), to, well, the “childlike” (Peanut Butter Captain Crunch – with a side of Bugles!).

But one team member immediately piped up, “Those pumpkin doughnuts. The. Best.”

DSC_2705

I rest my case.

Let’s start with a couple of essentials:

Pumpkin purée, most often found in a can – though I know there are those of you who make your own.

If you cook up your own purée, make sure it’s as thick as the canned variety. For use in this recipe, it should be the consistency of apple butter or, more familiarly – pudding.

And here’s your other “must have” – a doughnut pan. Preferably two.

Trust me, I resisted buying a pair of these for quite a long time.

“Do I REALLY need another special-use pan?”

Well, “need” and “want” are two very different things, as we all know. But do I love these pans?

Yes, I do. I use them all the time. My husband volunteers with a trail crew at our local nature center, and “the guys” are very appreciative of homemade doughnuts.

Me? I’m REALLY appreciative of moist, tender cake doughnuts that are baked, not deep-fried. They’re as fast and easy to make as… well, let’s just call them a piece of cake.

And check out ice cream-filled dessert doughnuts I’ve been making lately. I’ve done banana doughnuts, strawberry doughnuts, plain & simple baked doughnuts with cider glaze –  your imagination will take you in all kinds of directions with this recipe  – and pan.

Now, can you make these as muffins, not doughnuts?

Absolutely.

But frankly, they’re not quite as good. The crust-to-interior ratio of a baked doughnut is just perfect, balancing the doughnut itself with whatever coating you prefer to add: cinnamon-sugar, confectioners’ sugar, simple granulated sugar, even a drizzle of chocolate or caramel.

Are you ready? Let’s bake some pumpkin doughnuts. Preheat your oven to 350°F.

collage1

Place the following in a mixing bowl:

1/2 cup vegetable oil
3 large eggs
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1 1/2 cups pumpkin purée (canned pumpkin)
1 1/2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice, or 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon plus a heaping 1/4 teaspoon each ground nutmeg and ground ginger
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder

Beat everything together until smooth.

Add 1 3/4 cups + 2 tablespoons (8 ounces) King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour, stirring just until smooth.

BTW, this is a great place to try King Arthur Unbleached Self-Rising Flour. Reduce the salt to 1/2 teaspoon; omit the baking powder, and substitute 2 cups (8 ounces) self-rising flour for the all-purpose flour.

collage2

Lightly grease two standard doughnut pans.

As I mentioned earlier, if you don’t have doughnut pans, you can bake these in a couple of standard muffin tins; they just won’t be doughnuts.

Fill the wells of the doughnut pans about 3/4 full, using a scant 1/4 cup of batter in each well; a tablespoon cookie scoop helps with this task.

If you’re making muffins, fill each well about 3/4 full; the recipe makes 15, so you’ll need to bake in two batches (unless you have two muffin pans).

collage3

Bake the doughnuts for 15 to 18 minutes, or until a cake tester inserted into the center of one comes out clean. If you’re using self-rising flour, bake for the longer amount of time.

If you’re making muffins, they’ll need to bake for 23 to 25 minutes.

Remove the doughnuts from the oven, and after about 5 minutes, loosen their edges, and transfer them to a rack to cool.

collage4

doughnutshake

While the doughnuts are still warm (but no longer fragile), gently shake them in a bag with cinnamon-sugar. Or better yet, pumpkin-spice sugar, made by combining the aforementioned pumpkin pie spice (or substitute) with granulated or extra-fine sugar.

Serve immediately. More on that later.

If you’ve made muffins, sprinkle their tops heavily with the spiced sugar of your choice.

Are these not a thing of beauty and a joy forever?

doughnuttexture

And wait’ll you taste ‘em – “favorite breakfast,” indeed!

Now, a word to the wise. These doughnuts are incredibly moist. And when stored in a plastic bag, they quickly become soggy. Let me share a couple of tips with you, things I’ve learned as a result of making these treats SO many times.

First, store them on a cooling rack, loosely covered. By that, I mean a layer of waxed paper or parchment laid on top. Or even better, something like a cake cover over them: an actual cake dome, an upended bowl, a deep, large lasagna pan – something that will shelter them, yet allow good air circulation as well.

Second, sugar them (or spread with icing) just before serving – or at most a couple of hours before.

Can you bake these ahead and freeze? Absolutely. Thaw at room temperature (on a cooling rack, uncovered) for a couple of hours before serving.

Now, how about something a little different?

DSC_5775

“Little” being the key word.

mini1

Bake this same pumpkin doughnut batter in mini doughnut pans, and you’ll have 4 dozen two-bite treats.

DSC_5773

Mini or full-sized, a quick dip in Boiled Cider Glaze adds another layer of flavor (apple, in this case) to these moist, oh-so-tender treats.

Read, bake, and review (please) our recipe for Pumpkin Baked Doughnuts.

comments

1. miller0814

I can’t wait to try these!! I love my donut pans and the donuts that I bake in them.
    I find the easiest way to fill the pans is to put the batter in a gallon sized zipper bag and snip a corner. Then I just “pipe” the filling into the wells. It’s really fast that way. :)

2. JenBishop

Those looks so good. I was going through my freezer and realized I hadn’t gotten to several bags of the pumpkin puree I have. SO I will be making several batches.

Now if only I can convince my DH that I need a second doughnut pan.

3. bluestocking

I have a mini-donut pan- until I buy this one :) do you think the recipe would work with the mini pan? Just adjusting baking time? The thing is- I think I NEED to make them today! :)
    Sure! The baking time will indeed be shorter. Enjoy! ~Amy

4. dogmom04

Yum!! And no canned pumpkin in my cupboards! I don’t have two large doughnut pans (why did I buy just one??), and I think I have one mini doughnut pan too? I need to organize my obscure pan cupboard before I go much further…. But I am thinking mini muffins will give me the preferred crust to soft center ratio also? Worth a try! Thanks for this delicious recipe!

5. BluebonnetBaker

PJ, you just made my day. Seriously.

I have mini donut pans floating around here somewhere, but if I can’t find them, I think you could make them in a mini muffin pan and call them donut holes, don’t you? Better muffin to sugar-mix ratio, I’d say, more like a donut.

Have you ever made Snickerdoodles with pumpkin pie spice and sugar for the outside instead of just cinnamon? Life changing. I don’t make Snickerdoodles any other way now, and they are absolutely my favorite non-chocolate cookie.

These are going on the to-make list for THIS weekend. I’ve never been so happy to not have weekend plans!

6. Cindy leigh

Beautiful!
    I’m thinking I can sub half white whole wheat.
    I love pumpkin. My favorite pumpkin loaf has choc chips in it. Yum!

1. cscarpin

I have resisted long enough and was lucky enough to find 2 of the doughnut pans at an estate sale recently. I am making the doughnuts for breakfast on Sunday. Will report back.

7. aamoe

oh I know what I’m baking this weekend – these look fabulous! But I’ll have to get a donut pan first – I’ve been looking at them, and trying to decide if I really “need” one. You helped make that decision with this recipe. Can’t wait to try!

8. gaitedgirl

Well, I know what the husband will be asking me to make this weekend. He hasn’t yet started asking for pumpkin items but September is still young… Thanks for the recipe PJ – I’m sure it’s going to be a knock-out as usual!

9. Aviva R

OMG. There’s nothing my husband loves more than pumpkin-y treats. Do you think these would turn out well if made in a cake-pop pan? Sort of like donut holes?What a good idea. are you going to use the sticks? you could dip them in chocolate! Betsy@KAF

10. natalie

did i miss the temperature?? i don’t see it listed anywhere :\It’s at the beginning of the recipe. 350 degrees! Betsy@ KAF

11. AnneMarie

Wait until you try these with mini chocolate chips in them , or a thin chocolate glaze. MMMMMMMMMmmmm pumkin and chocolate, an amazing combination!

12. Mama Mo

Can you use whole wheat flour instead of All-purpose flour? I will add some Flaxseed oil in the batter, as well. I want to make them this weekend. Thank you for the recipe!Yes, start with 25/75. Yummy! Betsy@KAF

13. pcgurugirl

I’m definately going to try these once it cools off here(tx), which is generally around dec/jan (ugh). pumpkin anything, even pumpkin patches don’t feel right when it’s 100deg. makes me long for chicago weather where I grew up!

my mom adores pumpkin anything, so i’m going to pass this along, but more than likely she’ll demand I make them for her when I visit. my family always has a wishlist when I visit them :)

I have never been a big fan of donuts myself, but the ONE kind I always loved were the apple cider donuts made at the local u-pick apple orchard up north. they were cake similar to these, albiet I assume fried, and also coated in cinn/sugar.
    I’d LOVE to see a a recipe for THOSE!

14. sundance183

Two questions, PJ, please. I have a bag nearly full of SR flour, but it’s old. Is there any way to salvage it? Like add more baking powder or something?

Also, if you make a regular donut recipe and after cutting them out bake them on a pan with parchment, will they bake OK or do they need that quick burst of heat you get with deep frying?

It would depend just how old your SR flour is – if you mean years old, then just use it as if it didn’t contain baking powder (but did contain salt), as the leavening probably has lost its stuff. Also, I’ve tried baking (rather than frying) regular cutout doughnuts; they’re not at all the same. The crust is different, and they tend to be dense and heavy; they do need that burst of heat to rise, unlike these cake doughnuts, which include a lot more liquid – which means they rise a lot more easily. Hope this helps – PJH

15. Joe

I actually made these this weekend after stumbling upon it looking for a recipe for apple cider doughnuts. I have had the doughnut pans for a while, but have not really liked the results with other recipes I had tried. The texture of these was just like a regular cake doughnut. One comment though, I had a few left over and the cinnamon sugar coating melted away over night and made them sticky. Not bad, but not as good as when first made. This recipe is a keeper.

1. Angela Murray

How long will the batter be stable while waiting for the mini doughnut pan to cool off between batches??

16. SugarPusher

These look absolutely positively divine! Little does my boss know that I am sneaking out early from work so I can hit the store to find a doughnut pan (something I have always wanted and now have an excuse to buy).

I am thinking these could be perfect for my work charity bake sale next month. Would it be possible to make any part of these ahead of time or would it be better to make and eat day of?

I think it would be OK to make and freeze a couple of weeks ahead – no sugar coating. Thaw overnight, then shake in sugar just before serving. This is all conjecture since I haven’t tried it, but they’re moist enough that they should freeze well – as well as cake does. Good luck! PJH

17. emdh

I was “given” two doughnut pans and a doughnut cookbook for Mother’s Day (in other words, I bought them for myself!) and had yet to try out the pans. So I immediately made this recipe this morning. REALLY delicious. They’re heavier than I expected (but that’s not a bad thing) and the flavor is really heavenly. The only thing I’d note is that it took several minutes longer to bake than the recipe stated, and my oven is typically pretty true. After eating almost two of them before lunch (well…. they ARE baked and not fried:) I promptly froze a half-dozen so I wouldn’t eat any more and regret it! Thanks for another KAF keeper!

Emilie

Thanks so much for your feedback, Emilie. Baking times can vary quite a lot, as everyone’s ovens are so different; plus, if the liquid/flour ratio is just a bit off one way or another, that can change the baking time, too. In other words – lots of variables. Consider times a suggestion, and test for doneness – that’s what I do. Glad you liked them! PJH

18. "Lauri @ MyPinnedLife"

Wow! How much do I want to make these doughnuts? A lot! You can do so much with the doughnut bases. I’m seeing a cream cheese glaze and a chocolate glaze. You could do a pumpkin assortment. Yum! :)

That’s what I was thinking, Lauri – I started dreaming up all kinds of flavors and combinations, starting with a basic baked doughnut, then adding sugar, or glaze, or filling (in the hole in the middle as a plated dessert) – definitely a fun recipe. Enjoy – PJH

19. knitter123

This recipe is great! Doubled the recipe, baked as donut holes for 15 minutes in mini muffin tins. Rolled in cinnamon sugar, taste great.

Good idea, doughnut holes in the mini muffin pan – I’ve done that, too. They’re not exactly spherical, but no one ever seems to care! :) PJH

20. sallie789

I just baked six tonight. They’re divine! I’m wondering if I can refrigerate the rest of the dough for a day or two, bring it to room temperature, and then bake the rest. Do you think that will work? Two people don’t need a dozen donuts all at once… :)

Yes, I do think that’ll work, Sallie – not absolutely sure because I haven’t tried it but it sounds reasonable. I wouldn’t go longer than 2 days – Scoop the batter into the pan, then let rest while you preheat your oven; it’ll warm to room temperature more quickly in the pan than in the bowl. Doesn’t have to be at room temperature to bake, if you don’t want to wait; just add more baking time to make up for a cooler batter. Good luck -let us know how it works, OK? Others will probably want to try this, too. PJH

21. bgwilson

I love these baking pans! I put the batter in a large zip lock bag and snip the end and then “pipe” it into the pan! Easy and neat!

That’s a creative way to make your own pastry piping bag! Happy Baking! Irene @ KAF

22. Winnie

Just made these for breakfast using my muffin pan shaped like pumpkins. YUMMY! Next time I’ll make them with a cup of cinnamon chips. I might double the recipe and use my muffin top pan.

This recipe is definitely a keeper!

23. jeanh1259

Good Morning, I have a question for you, Could I make the batter at home and bring it with me on my boat and bake it the following morning?
    Thanks, I made them at home and everyone loved them!!!!

Sure, Jean, I’d think that would be fine, so long as you kept the batter refrigerated. What a great “on-water” breakfast! Enjoy – PJH

24. kaf-sub-Shartab

These were delicious — even my son who claims to hate everything inhaled one when I wasn’t looking! Not too pumpkin-y and the cinnamon sugar really makes them perfect. I used the large donut pan, scooped in the batter with my muffin-sized scoop just overflowing, and that was the right amount. Got 15 donuts. Beautiful color and texture, this is a definite keeper — the best recipe I’ve found so far for the donut pan!

So glad to hear it – thanks for sharing your enthusiasm. I agree, they’re nicely pumpkin-y, not overwhelming, and the cinnamon brings out their flavor beautifully. Enjoy – PJH

25. pty

Just made these donuts with my son and they are DELICIOUS! Question- i’d like to make a baked apple cider donut, any suggestions/recipies? Thanks a bunch~Patty

Try these Cider Doughnuts, Patty – YUMMMMMM….. PJH

26. cflan

These look amazing! i have a big thing of pumpkin spice that i never use… If i wanted, could i use that in place of the other spices, and if so how much?

Here’s what the recipe says – does this answer your quesiton? 1 1/2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice, or 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon plus heaping 1/4 teaspoon each ground nutmeg and ground ginger. Good luck – PJH

27. Kim

I don’t have a doughnut pan, but I do have a mini Bundt pan with 6 individual cavaties. Do you think that will work if I only fill them as full as if it were a true doughnut pan?

Yes, I think that would work just fine, Kim. Go for it! PJH

28. bellagood

Made these this weekend after my toddler saw the picture at the top of the print out. Added your mini-ginger chips (the chopped pieces of candied ginger) when I couldn’t find my powdered ginger. Toddler approved!

YAY! Toddler-approved is a good thing. Thanks for sharing – PJH

29. Mrsp1960

Could this be done in an angel food cake pan?

Probably; it’s basically a cake. They wouldn’t be doughnuts, but would taste good nonetheless. You’d have to increase the baking time – not sure by how much, though. Sorry for all the unknowns, but it’s an experiment I haven’t tried… PJH

30. amber

hi…i’m definitely going to try this recipe out…i was just wondering if there was a way to make it vegan? thank you!

Hi Amber – no guarantees, but you could try this vegan muffin recipe, omitting the fruit and nuts, and substituting pumpkin for the juice – let us know how it works, OK? Good luck – PJH

31. Simon Whittaker

My pumpkins are not ready yet but these sound great, were can i get a donut pan, never seen 1 like that in England, make muffins instead :-)
    P.S if you know please let me know, i`m on F B just look for the big dog in snow:-)

Simon, you can purchase doughnut pans from us. Not sure about sources overseas… Hope you find some, this is a really good recipe! PJH

32. Monica

My family is allergic to eggs and we use substitutes (but it usually only works w/2 or less eggs). Have you tried this w/substitutes?

I love doughnut pans. I own the mini ones. I use a icing bag to fill the doughnuts. It works great!!!

Haven’t tried with egg substitute, Monica, but I’m betting it’ll work just fine. And the icing bag to fill the doughnut pans is a great idea – thanks for sharing! PJH

33. Susan

I live right at 7000 feet. Do you know how I should modify the recipe for high altitude?

Susan, the recipe should be modified as any cake recipe would be modified at your altitude – for tips about this, see our high altitude baking tips. Good luck – PJH

34. bmich

can the oil be replaced with applesauce and use egg whites instead of whole eggs to cut down on the fat ?

Yes, you can certainly make those substitutions. The doughnuts will be very different; not nearly as tender, somewhat rubbery, and a bit drier. But they should still taste pretty good, aside from their texture – PJH

35. "Sarah d"

made these this weekend and they were delicious! but the next morning the coating had all dissolved and the donuts were wet and sticky. I tried adding another coating but had the same thing happen within a couple hours. still got compliments from the few brave enough to try them!

Sarah, try leaving them only lightly wrapped; I like to put them in a single layer under a large cover from a plastic deli takeout tray. Also, leave them on a rack. Or – don’t sugar them until just before you’re going to serve (or within an hour or so). All of these steps should help – it’s moisture absorbed by the sugar, combined with lack of air circulation, causing this. PJH

36. Rockycat

I’d like to try the 25% whole wheat flour substitution, but I prefer to measure by weight. I’m guessing that the WW flour doesn not weigh the same per volume as does the AP flour. Is that correct? If so, how much WW flour, by weight, should I try?

1 cup whole wheat flour (either white or the premium) weighs 4 ounces. To make your measuring easy for this recipe, use 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons whole wheat and the rest (1 1/2 cup) all purpose flour. Taste the results before you decide to add more whole wheat. Happy Baking! Irene @ KAF

37. kmarie227

I gave these a try today and they were a home run! General opinion around the house was to omit the cinnamon-sugar coating (uh, because they were disappearing from the cooling rack so fast), but they’re fantastic all the same. Next time I may give it a try with 25% wheat flour and some of the ginger mini-chips. Delicious!!

Glad to hear this is a new family favorite – thanks for sharing your enthusiasm! PJH

38. Rockycat

Reporting back – The whole wheat substitution worked, although I think it could have taken even a little more whole wheat flour. The family thought the donuts turned out a bit too eggy, but that could be because I made only half the recipe and guesstimated the half egg. I must have missed some. On the whole, the taste was pretty good and I would make them again.
    My only real problem was with filling the cavities in the pan. I used a disposable pastry bag without a tip and the batter didn’t settle in all that well. There are some odd crinkles and creases on the pan side of the donuts. Also, even with overfilling the cavities, I still had some batter left over. Had I filled the pan properly I probably could have made a few muffins, too.
    Onward to cider donuts.
    Did you add extra liquid to the recipe when you used the whole wheat flour? It sounds like your batter may have been too thick. Be sure to add an extra tablespoon of liquid per cup of whole wheat flour used. ~Amy

39. dcherenson@gmail.com

Would it be possible to cut down on the salt? These look yummy but my family has to reduce sodium.
    I think reducing it down to 1/2 teaspoon would be fine. ~Amy

40. penneycasy

Hi Bettina – I just logged on to ask that question about making donut holes in a cake pop form. How long did you bake them?
    If she is using the same form we use here, it should take about 10 to 12 minutes. Hope this helps. ~ MaryJane

Yes, I’ve done this – it took 10 to 12 minutes, as MJ says. PJH

41. horses272

These were great. If you use a mini-doughnut pan it is a bit tricky getting the batter in. Use a pastry bag or plastic bag with a hole cut at the end. Soooo much easier!!!

42. Nicole Maxwell

These just jumped to the top of my “Must Bake Soon” list. In fact, it may be happening these weekend! I held off on buying a donut pan for a long time, but bought one about 2 months ago and use it at least every other week. Love it!

43. Amy

I just made these and they were the PERFECT way to start the weekend. Topped them with cream cheese glaze (3 oz. softened cream cheese, 3 T powder sugar, 1/4 t vanilla, and 2 T almond milk). My anti-pumpkin husband scarfed them up as well!

44. iumgrad2

I have a box of unbleached cake flour that I’d like to use-can I use it in this recipe? I sent my husband to the store to buy pastry flour for the baked donuts on this site. So now, cake flour is what I have on hand.
    BTW-these look delicious and it is very cool outside today so I am really in the baking mood.
    Using the cake flour in this recipe should be fine. ~Amy

45. Ami Lea

These look delicious! Is it possible to use all whole wheat flour or is it necessary to to use all purpose flour with the whole wheat?
    For a nice structure, I’d say use the all purpose. It just gives a lighter texture. ~ MaryJane

46. johnanddru

Made double recipe of these today, super easy, and absolutely delicious, all three sons grabbed and ate their fill. Do you have any nutrition info on these, actually that would be a great addition to all your recipes. thanks
    Someday we do hope to post nutritional info for all recipes, but we just don’t have the manpower for it right now. Try the free program at http://www.sparkpeople.com. We’ve found it easy to use and accurate. ~ MaryJane

47. Datnee

Just made these and they are amazing. Seeing how these got devoured in 3 minutes flat I am not gonna be able to make these ahead of time for any given occasion. They are definitely a bake-and-eat treat.

Go ahead and make them – you will not regret it.

48. LAH

These weren’t so good IMO. I bought the special donut pan (1 pan) and these are basically just cake–and not even good cake. If you only have one pan, will take you a couple hours to make all of the donuts from the batter. I’m not a fan of these.
    I’m sorry for your disappointment. These are a traditional cake doughnut. If you are looking for a yeast-raised doughnut, check out this recipe. ~Amy

49. "Love Is in The Details"

Amazing! We wait until our local orchard offers their famous pumpkin donuts to go apple/pumpkin picking and you can expect to stand in line at one of the 4 donut spots for 20+ minutes, they are a tradition and fabulous, but these…these rival those and I can make them in my own kitchen! Thank you, this is the best pumpkin donut recipe I’ve tried!

I have 2 donut pans & couldn’t wait to try these, I fills them and my cake pops pans with a “pancake pen” makes quick and simple work of the whole process. Can’t wait to share this bit of Fall love with friends and coworkers! (now I need to try your apple cider recipe)

50. Margot

I used my pastry bag to fill the donut pan, worked great and really helped me get the amount just right! These also seemed easy to under cook so have been leaving them in a couple extra minutes.

51. colleen

Turned out perfect and taste amazing! Do you have a recipe for baked donuts using applesauce. Apple spice donuts would be delicious using these pans!
    We do, in fact have a recipe for donuts that uses applesauce! Enjoy! ~Amy

52. Megan

I just made these in a muffin tin as a I don’t have a doughnut pan (yet). The recipe couldn’t have been easier. They are quite yummy right out of the oven — very pumpkiny and moist, and not too sweet somehow. I think they were definitely worth it. However, I almost want to amp up the spice level in them. I can imagine that they would be delectable as a doughnut…

Amp up the spices as much as you like, Megan; we deliberately go easy on them, as we find more people are averse to strong flavor than happy with it. And, as you said, you can always add more… Enjoy – PJH

53. susanna

Just made these and they were awesome! I do not have a doughnut pan so I used one regular sized muffin tin and 2 mini muffin tins. I should have put the cinnamon/sugar on the tops before baking but I didn’t and it wouldn’t stick to the top afterwards so I just rolled the bottoms in cinnamon/sugar after baking and put them upside down on the cooling rack. They were so fabulous! I LOVED them. I left some without cinnamon/sugar for my hubby as he likes things not so sweet and I think he will love these-if there are any left by the time he gets home. My two children dug right in. Thank you so much for this recipe.

Susanna, glad we’re able to provide you with another great recipe to add to your files – enjoy! PJH

54. lgs6007

Made this recipe this past weekend. I don’t have doughnut pans so I used my mini-loaf pans instead… I love any reason to use those pans, but this was fantastic! The recipe posted here will fill three of the pans three quarters full. I topped the loafs with a topping made of two tablespoons granulated sugar combined with three quarters teaspoon of pumpkin pie spice. Loafs took 45 minutes to bake and were a huge hit! Thanks KAF for a great versatile fall pumpkin recipe!

And thanks for sharing your pan choice here – we all learn from one another’s experiences, and now I know I can turn this into a quick bread! PJH

55. erikagomez2012

I really wanted to try these but only had pumpkin yogurt i made and muffin tins. I went ahead and made them and they were delicicous! Not as fluffy as these donuts but definitely a delicious muffin! I’ll have to try the recipe as baked donuts, they look delicious.
    Wow! That is fabulous! I am happy it worked and thank you for sharing. Elisabeth

56. Addicted to donuts

Hello,
    Would this recipe work with a mini donut maker?
    It should work out fine in a donut machine. Let us know if you try it. :) ~ MaryJane

57. Addicted to donuts

Thanks Sesha! Going to try it this week. I love my mini donut maker but now I wouldn’t mind having the donut pan. Nothing beats the scent of freshly baked pumpkin muffins/donuts/pies. Oh my!

58. Michelle

I made these while home recovering from surgery – I even ordered pans from Amazon. Totally amazing – I have made at least 6 batches so far – really yummy! Thanks for such a great recipe! Now I have to make it up to visit your new store!

Michelle, we’ll look forward to a visit from you – best of luck as you recover from surgery. I’m making the doughnuts tomorrow morning first thing – subbing some applesauce since I only have 1 cup of pumpkin, so they’ll be applesauce-pumpkin – sounds good, right? Be well – PJH

59. Dotty

Just made these perfectly punkinny donuts prezactly as written and they were fabulous! First batch was accidentally made with pumpkin pie filling… Big Oops, they were like lead weights. DH looked at the can & pointed out my mistake. Post haste to the pantry to fetch the pumpkin puree for a donut do-over. The new batch was perfect, puree made all the difference.
    I am so glad you caught the mistake, Dotty. I do that with other products on the grocery shelves and boy, do I get annoyed at myself! Good catch! Elisabeth

60. Renee

Is there no way to print the recipe without printing out the entire blog post? If there’s not, it would be really helpful to add that feature. And if you do have it, it would be nice if it were a little more prominent on the page. Thanks.
    Yes, there are two ways to reach the recipe page from the blog. One is at the top under the title and date of the blog where it says recipe- the actual recipe title is an active link to the recipe page on our website. The other location is at the end of the blog where is says to read, bake and review recipe for . . . the title of the recipe is again, an active link there. Hope this helps! ~Amy

61. Leigh

I used mini-doughnut pans and they were fabulous! The recipe will make 36 mini ones which to me is by far better than the large ones. I like small serving sizes…..it gives one a little treat without overdoing it. I ran it through the nutritional calculator and the mini version is only 90 calories each. These are great with coffee or milk plus I’m burning my new “autumn hayride” candle so…..welcome fall!

Next time I’m thinking of doing an assortment of glazes on them including sugar glaze and a maple sugar glaze. I better sanding sugar would also give them a nice crunch! Thanks KA for sharing!
    Those finishes sound super! Enjoy the ride, Leigh! Elisabeth

62. Mary

Just made these wonderful little donuts this morning. They were gone in minutes. I’m not sure if we just didn’t wait long enough for the donuts to cool but they were a little heavy. Maybe I’ll add a little more flour next time. However, they still tasted delicious! Thanks so much for sharing this recipe!
    I am happy these were enjoyable, Mary. I am not sure if you want to add a little more flour though if they seemed heavy. Be sure you are not over mixing once the flour has been added and also, take a look here for how to measure flour. Contact us if you continue to have questions. Elisabeth

63. Vieve

Made these last night as muffins and they are delicious. I don’t have a doughnut pan, but I’m going to get them now so that I can make these the right way!
    Enjoy! Elisabeth

64. Patricia Pierson

Made these doughnuts after reading cc’s adaption for gluten
    free..thank you so much, they are delicious!! I appreciate so
    much people who have adapted recipes to gluten free and sharing their tips with others. I am new to the art of gluten
    free baking and all suggestions are soooo welcome! Thanks
    again!!
    We are learning along with you, Patricia! So, the more we can share, the better! Amy, our GF blogger is going to blog on English Muffins soon, so hold tight. Another recipe to add to your collection. Elisabeth

65. DAWNCONTE

Sorry if I missed this somewhere, but how many doughnuts does one batch make? Thanks!
    This batter is enough to fill 2 standard muffin tins or 12 donuts. If you do not have donut pans, one standard muffin tin would be a good substitute. Have fun trying this recipe! Elisabeth

66. SantGiovanna

Just made these doughnuts and since I don’t own a doughnut pan, I used two mini bundt pans yielding 12 doughnuts. After baking for 18 minutes, they turned out perfectly. Yum.
    Just one issue: I could not get the cinnamon-sugar to coat the doughnuts. What’s your secret?
    If they were still warm, the cinnamon-sugar should stick. The bag method is the best as PJ demonstrates. If you are still having some trouble you could brush some melted butter on the slightly warm donuts and then shake in cinnamon sugar. And there is nothing wrong with melted butter, right? Yum. Elisabeth

67. hmuncie

These were great!! I cut the sugar in half and made them for my kids. I also skipped the sugar on the outside. It made 20 donuts in my donut maker, and the extras have thawed perfectly! Thanks!!
    I am so glad you and your kids enjoyed these and will continue to enjoy them! Elisabeth

68. sarap

I thought that the dough was a bit salty. We all still LOVED them, my husband didn’t notice until Iasked. The sugar on top helps. But, next time I think I will reduce the salt to 3/4 t. or 1 t. Hope this won’t ruin the nice puffy soft texture.

69. SantGiovanna

Dear Elisabeth, Thank you for your suggestion to brush the warm doughnuts with butter. I am a fan. Is there any reason why I should not replace the oil with 1/2 cup butter (thereby maintaining the fat content in the recipe)?

This isn’t Elisabeth, but I can certainly answer your question. So long as you melt the butter, you can add it into the recipe as you would the oil. The doughnuts may brown more because of the milk solids in the butter, so I would be careful in that regard. -JDB

70. Amy

I tried your pumpkin doughnut recipe yesterday. Instead of baking in donut pan in the oven I simply used my cake pop maker. It was super quick and easy. They were amazing and delicious, the kids and hubby enjoyed some this morning. I blogged about it here http://www.amysartfromtheheart.blogspot.com

Very cute pictures and blog Amy! Loved the Yoda costume.-JDB

71. PrettyladyCheryl

I did mini muffins and replaced the veg oil with coconut oil! DELISH!!!!! Ensure that you warm the coconut oil before mixing or you will get clumps in it…Thanks so much for this recipe!

Cheryl, that does sound scrumptious indeed – thanks for sharing! PJH

72. Lucette :)

Do you think these could be made with King Arthur’s gluten free multipurpose flour? My son is GF, and he loves all things pumpkin… he would be all over these! (And it would be worth the pan’s price if he liked them and ate them!)

Thanks!

Lucette, use our recipe for Gluten-Free Scones, subbing at the appropriate places (apples, spices, cinnamon chips) – I think it’ll work out just fine. Enjoy – PJH

73. Randee

I made these doughnuts this morning and they are wonderful. So moist and light for a baked doughnut with a fantastic flavor. DH loved them too. I will definitely be making these again. Thank you for this wonderful recipe!

Randee, sp glad you enjoyed them. I was thinking today – how about a plain cake doughnut, with crisp bacon and maple syrup in the bottom of the doughnut pan wells before adding the batter? Maple-bcaon doughnuts, here we come! :) PJH

74. Amyhmommy@gmail.com

I just made these egg-free (allergy with my youngest) with the 3 tbs flaxseed and 9 tbs water substitute and they were yummy! My cooking time increased to 25 minutes, but the family loved them! Thanks for another recipe that I can adapt! It really helps.

75. Tish

My daughter has celiacs, so I wanted to make these gluten free. I just substituted a GF flour mixture and added 1 tea. xanthan gum. They came out fantastic and even looked just like the pictue! A bonus – they make the house smell delicious. They couldn’t be easier. Thank you for the recipe!

Tish, I’m so glad those substitutions worked out for you – and thanks for sharing them here, so that others following a GF diet can enjoy these doughnuts, too. Cheers – PJH

76. Carol

I just made these in mini-muffin pans – made 5 dozen, baked at 350 x 17 minutes. If you sprinkle the tops with the pumpkin-spice sugar BEFORE putting them in the oven, the sugar adheres nicely. The first batch, I waited until the end and the sugar fell right off. But the second batch? PERFECT! We are hooked – these will be our fall after-school snacks!

Thanks for the great tip, Carol – much appreciated! PJH

77. "Ms. Capile"

Had a brand new donut maker I have never used and this inspired me to pull it out! I am so glad I did. It made very delicious mini donuts. Can’t wait to do this a few times this season such a great recipe!

Great idea, making these in your doughnut maker. I’m glad we were able to inspire you to dust it off and heat it up with this tasty recipe! PJH

78. Tammy

My husband’s birthday is at the end of October. Since it falls on a weekend this year, I want to make him something special for his birthday breakfast. I was searching for a baked donut recipe when I found this one. How perfect! I am really looking forward to making this fall treat.

Hmm, I may have to test-drive this recipe before I make a batch for the birthday boy. Gotta make sure they come out okay, you know. ;)

79. Stella

I LOVE this recipe! I just made it and it was a huge hit. Everyone gobbled them up. (By the way, I reduced the total sugar by half a cup, and used 1/2 cup brown sugar, 1/2 cup regular, and it delicious. I also used a whole 15 oz can of pumpkin.)

Do you have a recipe for baked chocolate doughnuts? That would be so yummy! (Maybe chocolate donuts with chocolate frosting…)
    We are so happy to hear the recipe is a true hit! We do not have a chocolate version on our site. We have a Chocolate Doughnut that is fried in our Baker’s Companion cookbook on p. 45. You could try baking the batter, though. Let us know if you would like the recipe sent to you by calling or sending an email. Meanwhile, I will let our bloggers know there is a request for chocolate donuts! Elisabeth

80. Amy

I am in Haiti and I need a great fun fall recipe next week so locating a Doughnut pan is a little more difficult. Wondering (albeit less healthy) if I could fry this dough and make Doughnut holes…..

We’ve heard the baked donut recipe works well baked in a muffin pan. We have other fried donut recipes on our website, but do let us know if your fried version of this recipe works. Happy Baking! Irene @ KAF

81. Shan969

I am confused on the flour …if I use regular flour and not king Arthur’s do I omit the salt and soda or add it?

If you are using All purpose four, follow the recipe as written. If you choose to use “self rising” flour follow the tips written at the bottom of the recipe. This applies to all brands of all purpose flour and self rising flour. Betsy@KAF

82. "Mrs. Hittle"

Thanks so much for trying this and posting! ~Amy

83. Julie

Made them in mini muffin tins as others have suggested and it worked like a charm. I had the same sugar disappearing problem when they were dusted early. Definitely wait until as close to serving as possible and don’t seal them in an airtight container. Redusting the next morning worked just fine too. Since I don’t like nutmeg at all, I substituted ground cloves for the nutmeg and they tasted delicious. I served them with vanilla ice cream and homemade dulce de leche. Everyone asked for the recipe.

84. Lisa

I just made these and they turned out perfect. I made some in the large and some in the mini donut pans. My husband loves them.

85. calacci

For a gluten free recipe, the Gluten Free Goddess gave a GREAT shout out to PJ in her blog, and converted the recipe. It’s not an “easy” conversion…but I bet it’s worth it!

86. Sally E

I see that some people have made these and popped them in the freezer to save, but I don’t see much about bake-ahead results. Are they just as good if you make them the night before or do they need to be made morning-of?
    The best idea is to make the batter ahead and refrigerate. Scoop into a muffin tin or donut pan as your oven pre-heats. Baking and freezing is not a bad idea either. Good luck! Elisabeth

87. Nurseli

OMG! These are insanely good! I had purchased one of those pre-packaged donut mixes and threw those gross things out. These were so much better! Light and airy. The donut itself isn’t overly sweet. I’ll be making these again. Thank you!
    Glad they were a hit! Elisabeth

88. Kathleen

Just made these and they’re the perfect fall treat! I made mine in a mini muffin pan (11 min baking time). I shook half of them in cinnamon sugar but the other half I spooned a melted chocolate mixture (chocolate chips, butter, light corn syrup) on. Pumpkin and chocolate–can’t miss combo! Thanks for the great recipe.

89. Emilie

I was wondering if the pumpkin (1 1/2 cups) is the size of a small can? Before I open one, I wanted to know which size can to buy, preferably without leftover pumpkin in the fridge. Thanks!
    Hi there,
    One cup of pumpkin by volume is 9 1/2 ounces by weight, so that should help you calculate how much you’ll get in cups based on the weight of the can. Hope this helps. ~ MaryJane

90. Sarah Rose

I love the recipe, but the cinnamon and Sugar doesn’t stick on mine like they did on yours. Should they be warmer when you put them in the bag? Or cooler?

The doughnuts should certainly still be warm when placed in the cinnamon sugar. You can also brush them with a little melted butter to help as well!-Jon

91. GFJan

These are fabulous! I make them gluten-free (my own flour blend because my son is allergic to rice). Just want to let everyone know that it’s much easier to get the batter into the pans if you put it in a gallon sized zipper bag and cut off a corner. Then just squeeze, bake and yummm!
    Thanks for the handy-dandy tip! ~ MaryJane

92. Heather Hubert

I just made these into muffins and mini muffins. We brushed the tops with melted butter to make the cinnamon sugar stick. I think these are my new favorite muffins…..and I LOVE muffins! I did add mini chocolate chips to some. I loved them with and without. This recipe is a for sure KEEPER! THANK YOU!!!!
    Perfect, and glad you went for it and added the chocolate chips. Nom! ~ MaryJane

93. Araz

I either had to comment, or eat another one of these – and I’ve already had 3 so…. I made these as muffins, made 12 large ones, added about 1/2 c chocolate chips plus some grated fresh ginger. I had to cook them a few minutes longer – probably close to 28 min. And I didn’t put any icing or spiced sugar on top. Very tasty as is!
    Awesome embellishments! Thanks for sharing and have another…then skip lunch! Elisabeth

94. A.

Can I replace the pumpkin with sweet potato and make this with sweet potato instead? Thanks!

Absolutely – the sweet potato will probably be drier than the pumpkin, so add a bit of additional liquid if the batter seems stiff. Let us know how they come out – sounds delish! PJH

95. Sandra

Is it possible to make these half way through the night bf and they still taste moist? I am having a party for my son tomorrow but I won’t have enough time to do everything before. Has anyone done this, if so, how did you handle it and how did you keep them from staying moist and not getting sticky as someone mentioned before.

Sandra, I’d make these, but don’t sugar them. Cover them loosely, as you would a layer cake. Put them on a plate with a cake cover (like you see doughnuts in a diner), if possible. Just before serving, shake them in the sugar. If you don’t feel it’s sticking sufficiently, heat them VERY briefly in the oven, just until warm. Enjoy – PJH

96. Melissa

Just made these this morning. Added a cream cheese glaze and they are phenomenal!!! Definitely take previous commenters’ advice about using either a pastry bag or a zip lock bag to “pipe” the mixture into the donut pans. It makes it sooooo much easier! Fantastic recipe!

Wow, Melissa, that glaze sounds scrumptious. Thanks for the inspiration – PJH

97. Denise

I made these tonight and got raves from the family. I even modified the recipe so it was gluten free. I would definitely make them again.

98. Allison

I made these for a holiday party and they turned out fantastic! I baked them the night before and stored them in a tupperware container. Before the party, I coated them with the cinnamon sugar. Because they were tacky from being in the container overnight, the sugar stuck really well. Everyone LOVED them! They looked and tasted so good, everyone thought they had been bought. :)

99. Connie

I am wondering if you would please post the banana and strawberry baked donuts mentioned above. Thank you!

PJ’s experimented with banana and strawberry donuts – I’ll bet she added mashed banana or pureed strawberry to the dough instead of the pureed pumpkin. Amounts will vary as the original pumpkin recipe uses 1 1/2 cups pumpkin puree. If you experiment in your home kitchen with good results – let us know how much you used for recipe (or family taste preference) success. Irene @ KAF

100. Angie

I made these in my mini-muffin pan, so they’d be like “donut holes.” Turned out perfect! Had to spritz them with spray butter to get the cinnamon-sugar to stick, but that was not big deal.

101. covertfamily

Whenever I make these, they tops aren’t round like yours, they are muffin topped donuts. Any ideas on how make them round, instead of having that ridge-and-dent thing going on?

Not sure what you mean, but if the doughnuts aren’t rounding, try using a bit more flour – say 2 tablespoons. If that doesn’t work, please call our baker’s hotline, 802-649-3717. A dialogue will probably solve the issue. Cheers – PJH

102. Amelia

Just baked these and lightened them up a bit with apple sauce subbed for half the oil and stevia. Also I’m vegan so used a flaxegg. Can’t wait to try them!

103. Mike

Just finished a couple batches, amazing! Added Hershey’s cinnamon chips to the second batch, even amazinger! Thanks for the recipe!
    I like pumpkin anytime of the year! Yum. Elisabeth

104. C4master

Hello there,

i always thought the best way to cook doughnut was to actually fry them, tried once to bake them and they were nasty…do you get them as soft as they would be by cooking them on the over?

thx

Hi – Follow THIS recipe, and you’ll enjoy some of the best doughnuts ever – without the added fat. I promise! PJH

105. alhdvm

Hello, I REALLY want to try these! Do you think I could use the Splenda for baking to try and cut down on the calories??
    Sure, Splenda should work fine! ~Amy

106. Levi

Substituted some over-ripe pears for the pumpkin pie filling……. Its pretty darn good! Also I made mini muffins , instead of donuts . Same time frame.

107. Venessa L.

Thank you for this recipe, I converted it to gluten free by using the same amount of GF flour with 1 1/2 tsp. xanthan gum. They came out perfect, I also used a mini donut pan. My daughters both loved them.
    Thank you so much for your willingness to try this and let us know of your results. It is always good to have other options to offer people! ~Amy

108. Carmen S

Made these in a mini pan too. We used pumpkin pie mix and reduced the pumpkin pie spice a bit. Baked for 9 minutes and they were perfect!

Glad to hear it, Carmen – thanks for letting us know. PJH

109. TankGirl

These look amazing. And what a great way to eat a little healthier and still enjoy it. I will have to be trying this just as soon as my oven gets repaired . Thanks for sharing :)

110. Homemade Goodness

If you’re looking for donut pans, I found a bunch at Micheal’s yesterday … heart shaped donut pans for $3.99 each. The regular round were $9.99 each. Hopes that helps!!

111. Endang

Hi PJ, thanks for this recipe. I’ve tried it and it turned beautiful, soft and very delicious. Because it’s very difficult to find pumpkin puree in a can in Indonesia just like what you used, so I used steamed fresh pumpkin and mashed it. My cinnamon sugar its not successful like yours but hey its still have a great taste! Actually I am a fan of your recipes and this blog and have tried so many recipes from here and always succeed. This is the link of my pumpkin doughnuts: http://www.justtryandtaste.com/2013/01/donat-panggang-labu-kuning-sarapan-yang.html
    Many, many thanks from Indonesia!

112. Yvonne

One word yummy! My batter mixture made 8 more donuts than the recipe indicated.
    Hmmmm, usually it’s the other way around. Glad they multiplied instead of subtracted. Betsy@KAF

113. Carole

I am not a doughnut eater. I grew up with a baker for a father, and though I developed a love of cooking (mother) and baking (father) I have only on occasion made a doughnut, and have never, ever purchased one.

These look and sound wonderful, but I have to admit, I had a pan just like the one pictured and did not have a lot of luck with it. Sadly, it’s long gone. I can buy another, but I’m a little hesitant after my last experience.

Still, based on this recipe, I may have to.

Carole, I wonder what went wrong with your previous doughnut pan? The doughnut pan we sell is wonderfully non-stick, and very easy to use. Maybe give baked doughnuts another try? Everyone LOVES this pumpkin version… PJH

114. Rae

Theses look great! Now I just need to find a doughnut pan or two. I think I’d like to drizzle them with a bit of caramel glaze once they are cool.
    Sounds wonderful! ~ MJ

115. Leah

These were amazing! No donut pan so I made them in mini bundt cake pans (they were the size of very large donuts!) I made some adjustments because I started baking before realizing I had only 1/2 cup sugar. I subbed in brown sugar and agave for the remainder. Turned out great! I’m thinking about investing in donut pans so I can give these a proper go. Super delicious though!

Leah, thanks for sharing your enthusiasm here. I’m glad you enjoyed the doughnuts (er, mini cakes) – I really like this recipe too, and make it often. They’re even more fun when made as doughnuts, so I do recommend the doughnut pan; I’m sure you’ll be pleased with it. Cheers! PJH

116. Laura

Just tried this recipe tonight and they came out perfectly delish! One little trick: I dumped the mix in a large Ziplock bag, cut the tip off (about a half inch or so in diameter) and piped it into the pans. Much easier than spooning the mixture into each mould. I actually came out with 16 total which means I could’ve filled the pans a little fuller – I’ll know for next time!

117. Sharon Jones

Can these be made with almond flour for those who are diabetic?

Unfortunately this is not something we have tried. Good luck and happy baking!-Jon

118. Ruth Cobb

We have an electric mini donut pan. I would like to try these for them. We love the minis and usually have 21 mini donuts per regular recipe. This sounds like it would make more. Nice for the holidays or brunch

119. Amy

I just made these and they turned out great! I used whole wheat pastry flour for all the flour and I added a tbsp of milk. Either I was stingy on filling up the pan or my donut pans are not quite standard because I got 21 donuts. I probably could have gotten 22 if I’d been able to use what my 3 yr old sopped out of the bowl! I did have trouble getting the cinnamon-sugar to stick. It mainly stuck to the bottom of the donuts. I may experiment with different glazes/coatings in the future. Yummy!

120. Diane Deocampo

The recipe looks delicious! I’m hesitant to buy donut pans because I don’t think I’ll use them too often so I was wondering if you can make this recipe using whoopie pie pans!? Like a donut without a hole. If so would you fill the cavity full or 3/4?

Yes, you can make doughnuts in your whoopie pie pan or a muffin pan. Filling the pan 3/4 of the way sounds good, but they may take a few extra minutes to bake because there is no hole! Betsy@KAF

121. Michelle

I made these last week for my coworkers and they loved them! The recipe
    is easy and if you remember to spray the donut pan they pop right out! I did have a hard time finding a donut pan though. No luck at kohls, target, or Walmart; all three carry but none in stock. Ended up buying mine at bed, bath, and beyond. Recommendations:
    * To me the donuts tasted a little too vegetable oily. I would either add less oil or add more pumpkin/spice next time. Also was thinking of adding cinammom apple chunks
    * For sugaring the donuts I accidentally left some in the sugar mixer over night. Best mistake! Leave the donuts in the sugar for a long time. The donuts become stick over time and then can hold the sugar better.
    Happy baking :)

Thanks for the tips, Michelle. I love my doughnut pans – use them for all kinds of cake-type doughnuts. For anyone who doesn’t want to drive from store to store looking for pans, check out our doughnut pans – we’ll deliver right to your door! :) PJH

122. mj anderson

my first pan is in the oven — just a hint when filling the doughnut pans—just blop the dough in & scrape off the middle to make the doughnut hole. much easier than trying to delicately fill in around the middle. :-)
    quick and easy! ~ MJ

123. Candice

I made these as muffins this morning…only because I don’t have donut pans! My whole family came downstairs smiling and ready for breakfast! They loved them! By far the moistest most delectable recipe! I used some of the batter to make a mini bundt cake too! Many thanks!

Mini bundt cakes, now there’s an idea – thanks for the tip, Candice! PJH

124. Christy

I have made these doughnuts twice now! Once in mini muffin trays as doughnut holes, and once in the doughnut pan (after I ordered it). The second time I replaced the oil with cinnamon applesauce to be a little healthier. They turned out awesome!!

I did find both times that these were VERY moist and a little dense. Any way to make them a little fluffier next time?

Christy, you could try cutting back on the liquid (applesauce or oil) by 2-3 tablespoons, and increasing the leavening by 1/4 teaspoon – that might be just the nudge toward fluffiness you’re looking for. PJH

125. Rachel

Any idea what the nutrition information is on one of these delicious looking things? I’m doing weight watchers. Thanks!

Unfortunately we do not have this information available. However, it is something we are working to have on all of our recipes.-Jon

126. lisa

Hi, I’m excited to see they can be made gf. I want to use almond flour as my sub. I live in Montana and had to send away for it and I paid a good price. Does anyone know a conversion method for all these wonderful recipes? I can try to find the other flours but I really want all the benefits from the almond flour.
    I encourage you to try almond flour in your gluten-free baking. However, it cannot always be used in place of other flours and starches. For more detailed information, please call me on the baker’s hotline at ext. 269 and I would be happy to help! For a few good tips on recipe conversions and gf baking, please refer to my conversion blog. ~Amy

127. meg

So yummy! I used fresh pumpkin from my garden, added cinnamon chips and frosted with a caramel glaze. A wonderful fall treat! Thank you for the recipe! And your donut pans are awesome. Very nonstick, I didn’t even grease the pan after the first batch, just a quick wipe. :)

128. Cathy

Absolutely delish, even after freezing. Two questions: Can we get a calorie count for them? Would they work with KAF white whole wheat flour?

Use your favorite on-line program to compute calories for recipes (http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-calculator.asp). You might consider using 25% white whole wheat flour – and let the taste and texture be your guide. If you like the results, use 50% white whole wheat, but not more than that in this recipe. Happy Baking! Irene@KAF

Sure, Lauren, that’s no problem. Thaw at room temperature, then warm briefly. I’d sprinkle with cinnamon sugar after thawing/rewarming, rather than prior to freezing, but that would be the only necessary change. Good luck – PJH

129. Madeline

Can these be converted to gluten free donuts?

Thanks for asking – another customer/baker posted her successful GF results “For those asking if these can be made gluten-free: i just made a beautiful batch of these doughnuts using King Arthur’s GF multi-purpose flour. i also added 1/2 t. xanthan gum, just to be safe. (i also reduced the salt to 1 t., used brown sugar instead of white, flaxseed for eggs, and my own pumpkin puree. i sort of can’t help myself… But the takeaway is, GF flour will work in this recipe.)” Thank you “Mrs. Hittle”! Happy Baking! Irene@KAF

130. Sandy

I was wondering could I use the mini donut pan I have with this recipe?

Sure, Sandy – just bake for a shorter amount of time. If you have the pan, you should be able to approximate the time – since I’ve never used the pan, wouldn’t dare give you any hard-and-fast info. on that… Enjoy! PJH

131. Tara

I’ve been dreaming of these for over a week. So excited, I bought the donut pan and everything I needed. I don’t know if I used the wrong pumpkin puree or what! I bought the high end brand in the pie filling area. Not pumpkin pie filling, just pumpkin. They were bland and didn’t taste much like pumpkin at all. Rubbery too. I was very sad about it! I am a great baker and followed the recipe exactly as written. They also didn’t have the beautiful orange color yours have as pictured. Mine were just brown.

I’m so sorry these didn’t work out for you, Tara; there’s definitely a difference in the colors of the various canned pumpkins, so this might have contributed to the color difference. As for the flavor; I wonder if it’s because we use Vietnamese cinnamon here in the test kitchen? It’s stronger than regular cinnamon, and it could be you associate the flavor of cinnamon with pumpkin, and just weren’t getting enough flavor… At any rate, this might be something our baker’s hotline folks could help you with. Why not give them a call – 855-371-BAKE (2253). Thanks for your feedback – PJH

1. Michelle

I made these as an after school treat with my 4 1/2 year old. Super easy to make and unbelievably good. Really flavorful. I used the pumpkin pie spice blend from KAF, I think it really took the donuts to the next level. Thank you for sharing a great recipe.

132. Jenn

I love this recipe! I was wondering how I can get the cinnamon-sugar topping to stick better.

Be sure to shake the donuts in the cinnamon-sugar mixture as soon as they are out of the oven. Still warm is the key! Irene@KAF

1. Vivian

I had trouble making the sugar stick so I did what another baked doughnut called for, brushing the doughnuts lightly with melted butter them put into the sugar mix. Came out so amazing.

That’ll work, Vivian – indeed, unless you coat the doughnuts while they’re still fairly warm, the sugar doesn’t stick well. And I’m sure the butter made it adhere better than it would’ve done even when the doughnuts were warm. Thanks for sharing your tip here – PJH

133. jo

I made these today a batch of GF and a batch of regular but I baked them in my cake pop pan they made the perfect donut holes :)

134. Sylvia

These sound wonderful! Can I substitute whole wheat or whole wheat pastry flour for some of the flour to make it a little more healthy?

Sylvia, try subbing our white whole wheat flour 100% for the AP flour. I’ve done that, and they’re delicious… Not sure about ww pastry flour for some of the AP, but don’t see why not. Enjoy – PJH

135. Leisha Mapes

These “Pumpkin Cake Doughnuts” that looked yummy. So, today I made them!! :) Instead of using a doughnut pan, I used a mini muffin pan and instead of using the Cinnamon-sugar I made a yummy glaze sauce. SUPER YUMMY!!! (in mini muffin pan I baked at 350 for 11mins)
    Glaze Recipe:
    *3tbs butter
    *1/2c firmly packed Dark Brown Sugar
    *1/4c Milk
    *1 1/2-2c Confectioners” Sugar
    (Options: add little vanilla extract to sauce or you can top muffins with pecans)

In Medium saucepan, heat butter & brown sugar over MED Heat until bubbly. Stir constantly for one minute, until slightly thickened. Beat in Milk, Blend in Confectioners Sugar until smooth and spreadable. Using a Silicone basting brush, brush over top of mini muffins. (Sauce may thicken while brushing, so you can leave over low heat to keep prevent from hardening) ENJOY!!

GREAT final touch, Leisha – thanks so much for sharing! :) PJH

1. Amy Trage

Though we haven’t tested this version yet, but are planning to in the near future. Please feel free to give it a try: another customer/baker posted her successful GF results “For those asking if these can be made gluten-free: i just made a beautiful batch of these doughnuts using King Arthur’s GF multi-purpose flour. i also added 1/2 t. xanthan gum, just to be safe. (i also reduced the salt to 1 t., used brown sugar instead of white, flaxseed for eggs, and my own pumpkin puree. i sort of can’t help myself… But the takeaway is, GF flour will work in this recipe.) ~Amy

136. catherine

Isn’t the treating of the non stick surface redundant? I don’t use non stick cook or bake ware. Wondering if there are other donut pans available?

I like to be double sure my doughnuts will pop right out, Catherine, so I always give the pan just a short spray with oil. I’ve never seen doughnut pans without a non-stick finish, so unfortunately can’t help in that respect… :( PJH

1. Barbara Stewart

I have scoured the internet repeatedly looking for donut pans that are not non-stick. There is absolutely nothing out there. And while we have a great deal of information now about the dangers of Teflon (I live where Teflon is manufactured and there have been multiple lawsuits ongoing for a decade here), we don’t know much of anything about the safety of the new hi-Tech silicone coatings. I think it will be the same story as Teflon ~ many decades down the line we will realize that it’s not a good idea to mix chemicals and food under high heat. If anyone has any information about good scientific data concerning the safety of silicone coatings, I’d appreciate it if you’d post a link.

1. Amy Trage

We don’t at this time, but are working on getting a tested GF version posted for you to try soon! ~Amy

1. Amy Trage

137. Sarah

Just made these! Used coconut oil, coconut sugar and spelt flour instead in place of the listed ingredients. Shook them in organic brown sugar and cinnamon. Also I made them in the Nordic Ware pumpkin patch pan. Yummo! Thanks for the recipe!

138. Elizabeth

My husband’s complaint like about any made at home pumpkin item is that there is not enough pumpkin taste. One thing to help the ‘flavor’ that he really looks for which that more like pumpkin pie is adding in clove. We haven’t quite figured out the right amount to add in yet but it does help.

In some recipes, the pumpkin is more about color and nutrition and less about strong pumpkin flavor. You’re right that adding ready made “pumpkin pie spice” or a combination of cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, allspice or cloves may be the key. We hope you find the combination that makes everyone in your family happy. Happy Baking! Irene@KAF

139. Karen Davault

I really want to make these . I always purchase a cinderella pumpkin in the fall and the day after thanksgiving I roast it and freeze the pulp for pumpkin butter, pumpkin gingerbread, pumpkin pancakes…My husband is diabetic and I am wondering if I can substitute Splenda or a sugar substitute for the sugar or a combination of white and brown sugar (Splenda or another sugar substitute) for the granulated sugar. Does KA make a sugar substitute for diabetics? Thank you so much. Karen D

I am sorry, but we do not currently sell a sugar substitute, Karen. Yes, you may try using Splenda or another sugar substitute in place of half of the granulated sugar in this recipe. Your idea using a combination of Splenda and brown sugar (I take it your husband can have brown sugar?) also sounds like something worth trying. The flavor of the brown sugar will impart something wonderful! I hope your experimenting is a success, Karen! Elisabeth

2. Christina

You can use what is called Just Like Sugar Table Top (not baking) in replace of real sugar it is in my paleo cookbook

140. Brittany

This may seem silly but I went out and bought a donut pan just to make these babies. The only problem is that for some reason I could only find a MINI donut pan. How much cooking time would I need to cut off for mini donuts instead? Thanks!

1. Amy Trage

I would go with just under half the time than the recipe calls for. You may need to add on a minute or two after that. ~Amy

1. Amy Trage

I would advise about half the time for the recipe in a regular pan. You may want to go just under that and check them- you can always add another minute or two if needed. ~Amy

This isn’t something we have tried, but it should be fine to do! Maybe substitute half of the oil with applesauce the first time? Jon@KAF

141. Karen

Is there any other ingredients to use besides Pumpkin? I’m opening a Cafe and we cannot Fry foods there. So I was looking for a recipe that I can bake doughnuts.

You can certainly use your preferred brand. However, all of our recipes are tested with King Arthur Flour. As such, results will vary. Jon@KAF

142. Cathleen

Do you think these could be adjusted for frying? I believe you’d need to move the batter in the dough direction. But the pumpkin might keep everything too moist to get a good outcome. Any thoughts about that? I admit that I love fried donuts, which is why I’m asking.

143. Jessa

Oh dear god. I just made these. I used pastry flour ’cause that’s what I had, and I used flax seed instead of egg to make this vegan (1 tbsp of ground flax seed in 2 – 3 tbsp water per egg). I tried the pumpkin spice/sugar coating instead of cinnamon sugar. I’m going to lie and say they came out horribly so no one will expect me to take them to work.

144. Christi

I just made these and they are very addicting! I did substitute 1/2 cup brown sugar for some of the white sugar and I made them in my “Babycakes mini donut maker”. Each batch only took 5 minutes! Thanks for a great recipe!

145. tina

i just wanted to add that i made 2 batches one with the original recipe and one with options .
    to tell you the truth the lower fat cholesterol healthier version was a little bit better :) both batches turned out almost exactly the same texture and flavor i was pleasantly surprised. one thing i may of had a problem with and would like an answer if someone has one is neither batch raised that well :(
    anyhow this is what i subbed if anyone else is interested . i used applesauce ( unsweetened) instead of oil . egg substitute powder instead of eggs ( i am going to assume that all egg whites would be a sub for this as well ) fyi 2 egg whites = 1 egg if you have no powder sub. and whole grain whole wheat flour . i used the same measurements just subbed them out . i stayed with organic cane sugar in both this time until i research a better sub for this as i was unsure . thanks for an interesting doughnut recipe . i think that it might make a great loaf as well what do you think ?

1. MaryJane Robbins

Hi Tina,
      Glad you liked the doughnuts. It’s hard to pinpoint just one thing that effected the rise when so many changes were made, but changing the flour will certainly result in a slightly heavier doughnut. Just a quick hint about making substitutions to recipes. It is best to change only one thing at a time, so that if you do run in to troubles, you’ll be able to pinpoint the culprit more easily. Once you have one substitution worked out, you can then move on to another. Hope this helps. ~ MJ

146. Jen

To make these GF I simply increased the oil by 1 Tablespoon and used the full (15oz.) can of pumpkin to compensate for the drier texture of the rice flour and also added 1/4 teaspoon of xanthan gum to the KA GF flour. I used a mini donut pan and they came out moist and delicious after 15 minutes. I’m sure the extra pumpkin added to the baking time but they were super moist with a big pumpkin flavor = happy GF family! Thanks once again, King Arthur!

1. rubesagem

Thanks, Jen! I didn’t see this before I baked a batch with KA GF flour or I would’ve tried it. Will try again with your addition to the recipe.

147. Meg

I used 1/2 cup applesauce instead of oil
    Used 1 cup light brown sugar + 1/3 cup agave sweetener
    My husband and kids had very happy tummies this morning. These got an A+

148. Consuelo

Can this recipe be made with regular all purpose flour, or even whole wheat flour, and if so, which would be the amount of them??? I do not know where to find unbleached flour in my country and wish to taste a pumpkin baked donut

Yes, you may use the regular AP Flour or a blend of All Purpose flour and Whole Wheat flour. If going the whole wheat route, substitute up to half of the white flour with whole wheat flour. The batter may become quite thick, so adding some extra liquid to the batter is not a bad idea. Typically, adding 1-3 t. of extra liquid per cup of whole wheat flour is best. You could add some water or milk to help lighten it up! Good luck! Elisabeth

149. Laurie

These are delicious! I used the self-rising flour and used my own pumpkin puree. I usually love sweets but these were a little on the “too sweet” side and could probably stand for a third less sugar.

150. Cheyenne

Can you store these? If yes – how and for how long? Want to bring them to my daughters school but not sure if I can make ahead of time!

Yes, these can be stored for about 2-3 days in a plastic bag, or they can be frozen for up to 2 weeks! Jon@KAF

2. Meta Brown

What would be the right way to freeze these? I noticed that the recipe says not to store donuts in a sealed plastic bag, But if I were freezing baked goods, I would usually cool, then freeze in a plastic bag. Is that appropriate here?

151. Courtney L

These are so good!!!! I made them GF using Pamela’s GF bread mix because it was what I had on hand. My sugar/cinnamon mixture wouldn’t stick while they were warm though. I let them cool overnight and coated them in the morning. Worked perfect. So good!

152. sheila kelley

These were delious! I find it’s easier to fill the donut tin, by putting it in a bag and snipping off the corner.It’s easier to control.

Sounds like a plan, Sheila – my only issue is, all the bags I buy seem to have pleated bottoms and I invariably cut off too much. I definitely need to practice my “turning a baggie into a pastry bag” skills! :) PJH

153. Deborah Locke

I do not use any other kind of flour in my baking except King Arthur Flour..I make the best bread and my children and grandchildren will attest to that one..lol..I just wanted you to know that I have tried other flours and just cannot use anything else but King Arthur flour. Makes the best donuts,bread, pie crusts, just about anything and your donuts were made by me but actually in muffin form because I do not own a donut bake pan..I love your recipes..Keep it up and send me more recipes to try out…Thanks again…Deborah.

154. Jeanne Noyes

First time I have been to KAF and an anxiuos to make the pumpkin doughnuts. After reading all these comments, it reinforces my pactice of not giving out my favorite recipes. People change them and then complain because they didn’t turn out like mine. This is going to be a “dangerous” site for me as I love to bake. Yummy!

Jeanne, thanks for daring to enter the “danger zone” with us! And, I encourage you to continue to share your recipes; even when people twist them inside-out, it’s always good to share. Besides, if they make a change and it doesn’t come out – just remind them, “Sorry YOUR recipe didn’t come out, maybe you should try mine!” :) PJH

155. Nichola

These were a hit, husband loved these, I only added1/2tsp salt and to the sugar mixture I added equal parts of cinnamon and pumpkin pie spice. This recipe is a keeper!!!!

156. Elizabeth

These were a hit at the tailgating party I brought them too! I can’t wait to make them again. Like Janet I need to get another pan though…I made two batches and using 1 pan was a lot of work!

I had some extra dough that I didn’t have time to bake…any thoughts on how long it can stay refrigerated before baking?

You should be able to keep the batter for 2-3 days in the frig. Just scoop and bake. Elisabeth

157. Karen

I’m in Weight Watchers, any idea about points value?! fat/fiber/carbs/protein are factors needed to figure!! It would be appreciated, they look yummy!!

158. Jacob

Made a dozen this weekend as a test run for the five dozen I’m planning on making for my class next week. They tasted great after cooling slightly from the oven – also, since I was too lazy to make a chocolate glaze, I spread some nutella on the top of one, it was wonderful and I recommend others try it – but I did encounter a semi-problem. I stored them in a sealed container, and when we went to eat them later they were extremely moist, almost too moist to be good. Do you recommend storing them uncovered to prevent excess moistness?

Yes, Jacob – if the doughnuts aren’t going to be consumed within a few hours, and you need to store them somehow, it’s best to put them under a vented cake cover, or some other cover that doesn’t confine them too tightly. The other thing you can do is not sugar them when they come out of the oven; the sugar is what’s making them too moist, as it absorbs liquid and melts. For best results, sugar just before serving. Hope this helps – PJH

159. Tobey

these are amazing, I just made these donuts, and some are still baking, but I can tell already that they are going to be a staple in my donut arsenal……not sure how long they are going to last because I am not sure I can resist eating them all! They are just amazing!!! I like that they are dairy free too, as I often get guests that are not able to eat dairy…..thanks for the great recipe! I just know I will be checking out more donut recipes, I love the ease of baking donuts in the donut pans, they are so quick and create such a wow factor!!!

160. Meta Brown

Marvelous. Flavorful, with homey good looks. My daughter praised these with language so enthusiastic that I cannot repeat it on a family website.

I halved the recipe. A half batch would call for 1.5 eggs, but I just threw in two whole large eggs. Otherwise, I followed the recipe exactly as written, and could not have hoped for better results. With my full size donut pan, 1/2 batch was more than enough for seven fat donuts.

To fill the pan, I held a funnel with a fairly wide mouth over the cavity and scooped batter into the funnel while moving the funnel around the curve of the donut shape. Turn the funnel sideways so it does not drip while moving from one donut to another.

1. Meta Brown

Oops, forgot one more change. I did not use salt. I never use salt in sweet recipes (except yeast-raised doughs) and have never run into any problems.

Sure you could try using a bundt pan. Bake at 350 degrees for about 40 – 45 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean. Or, rather a piece of raw spaghetti as a toothpick will not get down far enough! Elisabeth@KAF

161. Cari

I really want to try this but my homemade pumpkin puree is much thinner than the canned stuff. Any suggestions on how to compensate, like maybe reducing the oil?

Cari, I thicken my purée by putting it into a strainer and weighing it down for a few hours’ it really helps. If you don’t have time then yes, reduce the oil enough that the batter is the consistency of thick pancake batter – it should be just barely pourable. Good luck – PJH

2. MelissaF-L

PJ Hamel’s idea is the best way to thicken pumpkin puree. The only thing I would add is: I line the strainer with 2 layers of cheese cloth to drain the excess liquid and drain it into a stainless steel bowl. I gently push down on the pumpkin with a large spoon and by using a stainless steel bowl, I can see how much liquid is draining. When the liquid is barely draining, I turn the bowl 90 degrees and do the same steps all over again. It may take a little effort but I was able to strain 26 cups of pumpkin puree this way fairly quickly.
      I grew 9 New England pie pumpkins this year and they were all pretty watery from our more than average rain this summer so when I was working on freezing the pumpkin puree I had to do this. I had great success using this method.

162. ptolbert

I have made these twice and they have been an instant hit. They don’t last long that’s for sure, so you might want to make two batches if you are taking them to work. Thanks for a great recipe.

Instant hit is right – I’ve found these are pretty much a slam-dunk success for whatever audience I’m serving. Glad you experienced the same response! PJH

163. Jamie M.

These donuts are spectacular! I only have one donut pan (am totally going to go buy another one now) so I worked in two batches. I added mini chocolate chips to my second batch! Excellent! I used a cookie scoop to fill my molds and then a knife to mix/flatten everything. The only thing I’m worried about is that my donuts ended up a bit sticky (even though this is probably best for sugar stickage). I baked these last night and once cooled stored in a tupperware overnight. Maybe I should have refrigerated them or left the lid off of the tupperware? I’m only worried because I don’t want them to grow mold. Lovely recipe, thank you!!!

Yes, Jamie, these are very moist – what I’ve found works best, if storing overnight, is to NOT sugar them right out of the oven. Set them on a rack, and cover with a stiff cover of some kind (not plastic wrap) – like a large deli-tray cover, a LARGE overturned Tupperware container, or something similar; leave one corner propped on the rack for airflow. Then, sugar them right before serving the next day. I just did it that way for a bake sale – worked out well. And next time, I’m adding chocolate chips – thanks for the tip! PJH

164. Cynthia Carter

I was going to take a picture to show how beautifully these turn out, but they disappeared before I could find my camera. Oh, well!

165. Beth CP

I want to make these using 100% white whole wheat flour. Do I need to add more liquid or baking powder / baking soda?

None of the above, Beth – just let the batter sit in the pans for about 20 minutes before baking, to give the ww time to absorb some of the liquid. Enjoy! PJH

166. Julia Hopper

I made this recipe with fresh pumpkin puree that needed to be used up. Do not have a donut pan so used a standard muffin pan and a madeleine pan. They turned out great and the madeleines look really pretty. Baked the madeleines for 20 minutes and 25 minutes for the muffins. Yielded 12 muffins and 12 madeleines. Will definitely make these again!

167. Coleen

I just made these. I considered reducing the 1 1 /2 t of salt but decided to follow the recipe. I should have followed my instincts; they are extremely salty. The salt overpowers the pumpkin flavor. I may try again and significantly reduce the salt. They could also use more pumpkin flavor so will add the remaining pumpkin left in the can.
    The ones I overbaked a little were the best since it made the outside more firm and more like a donut.

Sorry to hear that the amount of salt didn’t work well for you. You can certainly reduce the amount for future attempts of the recipe! Jon@KAF

168. Lisa

The family is excited the donut holes are in the oven. I found this pin overnight and wanted to give them a Sunday morning treat. Thank you!

1. Susan Reid

Lucky family on a fall Sunday morning! You’re a perfect example of why bakers are always popular! Susan

169. Cate

I had a quick question. I made these and the taste was great, but they didn’t rise much during baking; they were dense and heavy. Any thoughts as to why this would happen?

170. Anne

I did not have a donut pan. So I used a scoop and put them on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. I dipped my finger in flour and made a hole in the middle. Delicious.

171. Mary

PJ! Thank you so much for this deeeelicious recipe!!!! I’m no baker, and I’ve never made a donut in my life! But when I saw these, I just knew I had to make them! They were as awesome as they sounded!

AND, for you readers with Celiac or gluten intolerance; I made them gluten free! I just substituted GF Cup 4 Cup Flour and that worked like a charm! (I imagine Better Batter would work just as well). Please tell your gluten free readers, it can be done without changing the recipe if you use C4C.

Thank you for the delicious treat! <3 They were AMAAAZING!

We’re so glad you enjoyed these Mary and that you got so lucky in swapping out those flours! That definitely isn’t always such an easy conversion so we appreciate you sharing that that particular flour works well. Congratulations on such a wonderful success for your first doughnuts ever! Happy fall baking! Jocelyn@KAF

172. Jenna b

Made these tonight! Came out tastey! You can eat them without any glaze or topping. I only had a mini donut pan and those took about 20 minutes+, made my own caramel sauce for the top. Perfect!

173. ConnieR

This recipe is fantastic….gets even better the next day. I made regular size & small doughnuts and the “holes” in your pans. I just rolled them in cinnamon and sugar and they were a hit !

I don’t believe we have given this a try, Geri. However, I will certainly suggest it to our test kitchen. Jon@KAF

174. metabrown

I made these a few months ago, and they were delicious. They lost flavor quickly, though, so bake them as close to eating time as you can.

175. skeptic7

I just made these using Regular whole wheat flour. They are very tasty and very sweet. They are much sweeter than I would like, although my friends would love them. Can I cut out some of the sugar without difficulty?
    Oh I made some in Large Madeline pan, It takes about 1 1/2 tablespoons per shell. Not as nicely brown as the donuts but still very cute.
    I only have one donut pan so it takes forever to make a batch. I did the apple cider donuts on Friday.

These may become a bit tougher and less moist with less sugar, but absolutely, cut it back by however much you think is reasonable and see what happens. In fact, I think I’ll try that myself, next time, just to see what the difference is. Thanks for the suggestion – PJH

2. skeptic7

Addendum. I left out the salt since I have friends on low-sodium diets. This might contribute to the “too sweet” aspect. Thinking more about this recipe, its very much a cake recipe as oppose to a muffin recipe.

Yes, this type of doughnut is commonly referred to as a cake doughnut. So, they tend to be a bit on the sweet side and are quite tender. Removing the salt could have certainly changed the flavor. Jon@KAF

Yes, that’s right – it’s basically cake in doughnut form, thus its name: cake doughnut. I like where you’re heading, though – I have a note to myself to try them using less sugar, as well as with a splash of vinegar to point up the flavor and add a little boost to the rise. PJH

176. Barbara Allen

Just made these doughnuts. Lighter than bread and not too cakey. PERFECT. I can’t believe some people didn’t like them as much as the rest of us. Only deviation, I used whole can of pumpkin pie filling, I think that’s more than is called for (not sure), and my eggs are jumbo size. I just wish I could figure out how to bake my regular plain fried donuts. Thanks for posting this and that close up showing the rich texture of the donut sold me and was so happy they came out just like that.

177. Kimberly

I love these doughnuts and I bake them all the time! I was wondering how well these would mail since they seem to keep fairly well. Thanks!

We don’t really try mailing any of our products, so I would just use your best judgement and if you get them well wrapped and padded with a good deal of plastic wrap in a hard-sided container, you may find they make the trip fairly well. Happy baking! Jocelyn@KAF

178. Gwen

I am not a very talented baker – but these really came out well for me! Best fresh, then they get a little mushy. But still a great recipe – thanks for posting it.

179. mike

How in the heck do they come out looking perfectly smooth and round as in the cover photo?! Any pointers? I’m using the a doughnut pan and still… lumpy looking.

180. Sherry and Hannah

My dd and I had a good time a great recipe for a person with developmental disabilities with help she measured and mixed while I was in charge of the oven then she dipped in the cinnamon sugar!
    They tasted great!! Thanks

Teamwork can be the key to successful baking – enjoy the journey together! Happy Baking – Irene@KAF

181. Janie Dee

So Good! KAF recipes are always perfect. Never have to do a trial run before hand to make sure they come out right! Love That!

182. Sharon

I made the donuts today. They tasted great, but they didn’t look like yours! There was definitely a public, presentable side and the “uglier” side. The batter rose in the oven, but plopped down after cooling. What did I do wrong?

It sounds like you may have either beaten the batter too well or the donuts were pulled from the oven before they were fully baked. Be sure you are using pure pumpkin puree and not pumpkin pie filling too Sharon. Elisabeth@KAF

183. javier

Hi Pj.
    I made them two times and they came up flat:-(
    I measured everything twice in the se conduce time and the result was the same… Flat!..maybe. En I over mixed it or no mixed enough?! Any advise? Thank you
    Javier

Hi Javier- If you are finding that in two separate batches your doughnuts aren’t rising at all, then it sounds like your leavener may be bad. I would get a new container of baking powder and give that a try, as I think it may help to solve your problem. If you have any further questions, feel free to give our Baker’s Hotline a call at 1-855-371-2253. Happy Baking! Jocelyn@KAF

Pumpkin’s not just for autumn, eh, Kathy? Thanks for sharing your approval here – PJH

184. Mary K

Would like to know. Do you use Pumpkin Puree or just the One Pie Pumpkin directly from the can? I’m not sure I know the difference. New to baking.

We test with a standard Pumpkin Puree, not the canned pie filling, so we can control the spices, sweetness and final consistency of the doughnut. Happy baking! Laurie@KAF

These pumpkin doughnuts can be made using coconut oil instead of the vegetable oil–use 1/2 cup of coconut oil and be sure to warm the coconut oil so that it is in a liquid state rather than solid when incorporating it into the batter. This will give the doughnuts a tender texture and a subtly sweet flavor. It’s a great swap to make! Happy baking! –Kye@KAF

I don’t think this would work, Noreen, since this is more of a batter than a dough. I would recommend looking for a fried doughnut recipe. Barb@KAF