Strawberry Almond Flour Cake: Just in time for summer

Strawberry Almond Flour Cake via @kingarthurflour

Have I mentioned that I love baking with almond flour?

Of course I have, because it really is a spectacular flour. Especially for recipes like this: a soft, tender, moist cake that happens to not only be gluten-free, but also grain-free and dairy-free as well!

It’s hard to believe something this decadent could be made with just a few simple ingredients.

Unlike most cakes, this one doesn’t use milk or oil. Rather, it relies on eggs and almond flour for  moistness and structure. But the real trick to keeping this cake ultra-light and fluffy is separating the eggs, then whipping the egg whites into a soft meringue and folding them into the batter.

You’ll also notice that I opted for adding 1 tablespoon of coconut flour. The coconut flour helps give the cake a tighter crumb, while also helping with the tenderness of the cake. If you don’t want to use (or don’t have) coconut flour, no worries! Just add another 1/4 cup almond flour to the batter.

The result? A beautiful cake that’s perfect for any occasion and happens to be delicious when topped with fresh berries, like these gorgeous strawberries. But what I really love about this cake is that it can be served either  as a dessert – or a healthy breakfast!

To start, we’re going to preheat the oven to 350°F.

How to make a perfect Almond Flour Cake via @kingarthurflour

In a large mixing bowl, beat together:

4 egg yolks
1/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

How to make a perfect Almond Flour Cake via @kingarthurflour

In a separate bowl, whisk together:

1 1/4 cups almond flour
1 tablespoon coconut flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt

Set this aside while you whip the egg whites.

How to make a perfect Almond Flour Cake via @kingarthurflourIn a third (and final) mixing bowl, whip the four egg whites. Using an electric hand mixer (or your stand mixer), beat the egg whites until they form soft peaks. Once soft, slowly incorporate another 1/4 cup of sugar. Beat again until just incorporated. Set aside.

How to make a perfect Almond Flour Cake via @kingarthurflour

Add the flour mixture to the egg yolks and mix to form a dough. The dough will be quite dry (almost like pie dough), but have no fear. Once we add the egg whites it will loosen up.

How to make a perfect Almond Flour Cake via @kingarthurflour

Fold the egg whites (1/2 cup at a time) into the dough, until fully incorporated. The final addition of the egg whites should leave you with a light, fluffy, smooth batter.

How to make a perfect Almond Flour Cake via @kingarthurflour

Lightly grease an 8” round pan with butter (dairy-free if desired) or coconut oil. Swirl it in the pan and make sure it goes up the sides. Then sprinkle 2 tablespoons sugar into the bottom of the pan – this will give the cake a sugary, syrupy coating on top.

Pour the cake batter into the sugar-coated pan and bake on the center rack for 30 to 35 minutes.

Remove the cake from the oven and allow it to cool in the pan for 5 minutes. Run a knife around the edge of the pan to loosen the sides, then turn the cake out onto a serving plate.

Strawberry Almond Flour Cake via @kingarthurflour

Allow the cake to cool fully before topping with sliced strawberries – you’ll need about 2 cups.

Serve this cake as is or with some whipped cream or coconut cream. And if you’re opting for a truly decadent dessert, a dollop of dairy-free ice cream or a drizzle of chocolate glaze would be perfect!

Strawberry Almond Flour Cake via @kingarthurflour

Please bake, rate, and review our Strawberry Almond Flour Cake recipe.

Alyssa Rimmer

Alyssa grew up in Vermont, attended the University of Vermont and now lives in New York City, where she bakes and writes recipes for her blog Simply Quinoa. She is the newest member of the King Arthur Flour blogging team and has been living gluten-free ...

comments

1. Amy S

I have a question. I’ve made my own homemade almond milk, and I have the pulp or meal left over after straining. Can that be subbed for almond flour, or is that more of an almond meal? I would like to use up the leftover stuff, but I’m not sure this is the right application to do so. Any advice is appreciated. The cake looks lovely and delicious!

Can’t say that we have tried this, Amy. Our almond flour is very, very finely ground after having most of the fat removed. If you are using plain, ground almonds then they may not work. Jon@KAF

2. Francine

I use the leftover almond meal from my homemade almond milk all the time. I dehydrate it and then grind it up in my Ninja It makes a fine flour that I use for almond cake. I think it’s worth a try.

My question – I noticed that there isn’t a lot of sugar in this recipe. Could I replace it with Splenda? Thanks!

3. Alyssa Rimmer , post author

Definitely worth a try with the flour! I also do that but haven’t tried it in a cake. For the sugar substitute, I’m not sure about Splenda because I haven’t used it in baking, but if they suggest it as a 1:1 substitute, I say go for it! You could also use something like xylitol or Swerve Sweetener. Let us know what you end up trying! – Alyssa

2. Terri

Looks like there is something between the strawberries and the cake, like a thin filling? I think I will use rhubarb or peach sauce on top instead of strawberries?

1. Alyssa Rimmer , post author

That would be delicious! I think it’s a mixture of the sugars and fresh berries that you’re seeing. Mine were quite juicy and the top was still a little warm when I put them on top. – Alyssa

3. Laura

In the photos, it looks like she had added strawberries to the bottom of the cake pan, added the batter, and baked it. Then she added additional fresh strawberries on top. But I am not seeing this step in the instructions. Is there an reason why? Curious if she did not like the baked strawberries.

1. Alyssa Rimmer , post author

I see that too, but I think it’s from the sugar and juices from the strawberries. Mine were super juicing and I actually put the strawberries on when the cake was still a little warm and they “wilted” a bit. I had to remove them and re-top it with fresh strawberries which is why I indicated in the directions to wait until it’s completely cool. Hope that helps! Would love to hear if you end up making it. – Alyssa

4. Judith

If I don’t have the 1 Tbsp of coconut flour I should substitute 1/4 cup of almond flour? Sounds strange…

1. PJ Hamel

Judith, that’s correct – coconut flour is really, REALLY absorptive. I know it sounds strange, but go with it, OK? Good luck – PJH

5. Karen Metcalfe

I’m curious about the intensity of the almond flour’s flavour. For example, if one were to use almond flour in a recipe that calls for regular flour and almond extract, is the almond flour taste sufficient to make the almond extract superfluous (assuming the flour substitution would work viz a viz baking chemistry)? Thanks in advance for your response!

Karen, it would be difficult to substitute almond flour entirely into a recipe calling for regular flour because almond flour will not provide the same structure as regular flour, but I would say if you are looking for an intense almond flavor you would likely want to add a bit of almond extract. Many of our recipes calling for almond flour also contain almond extract. Barb@KAF

2. Alyssa

Hi Karen – almond flour is certainly NOT as flavorful as extract. I personally don’t think that it has a particularly strong flavor at all, however if you want to replace the flour, you can try using another nut flour. Hazelnut or pecan or even walnut (if you could find them) would also work here. Hope that helps!

6. Holly True

Thanks for remembering those of us who can’t have gluten or dairy. This is a perfect recipe for a group of friends with many food sensitivities. What a treat!

7. Juditka

I have made this cake many times with various variations. I love it with lemon or orange zest added to the batter. Instead of berries on top I often make a fresh fruit salad and serve it alongside the cake adding whipped cream for those who wish to have it. Also, I do not make the sugary syrup on the bottom as my husband is diabetic and that would just be too much sugar. We love this cake, it is quick and simple and everyone I know loves it.

1. Alyssa Rimmer , post author

Hi Susie, I don’t unfortunately. I suggest that you do a quick Google search – there are tons of free tools out there that let you add the ingredients and will show you the nutritional value. Hope that helps! – Alyssa

1. Alyssa Rimmer , post author

Hi Deb – I haven’t tried it with honey, but yes, I do think it could be done with a bit less sugar. I’d say skip the sugar in the pan and maybe cut the amount you add to the egg whites by 2 tablespoons. Let us know if that works! – Alyssa

8. Windischgirl

Can this be made ahead and frozen? This would be perfect for a party I’m having this summer, but I need to make it the weekend before.
    Passed the recipe on to a friend who is gluten and dairy free…it’s always nice to have a dessert that many can enjoy…and not have to settle for just the fruit salad!

1. Alyssa Rimmer , post author

I do think that it can be frozen, but I’ll be honest and tell you that I haven’t tried it. I’ve had success freezing cakes before, so I think that could done here also. Let us know how it turns out for you! – Alyssa

9. Jay

Smacking my lips still after having a slice. This is going to be my go to dessert for dinner parties! Are there anything other than berries that can be used as a topping?

1. Alyssa Rimmer , post author

Hi Jay – yes! So happy you loved it. I’d say that you can really use anything on top of it! It would be delicious with a chocolate or buttercream frosting. Or even stewed apples or peaches. It’s such a simple recipe, that it can really take on any flavors you’re craving. Let us know what else you try! – Alyssa

1. Alyssa Rimmer , post author

I haven’t made this with honey, but I do think it would be possible. This is my best guess, but my suggestion would be to use 1/4 cup of honey with the egg yolks and then skip the sugar added to the egg yolks. Let us know how that goes! – Alyssa

10. AMP

My husband made this for me–I helped whip the eggs to soft peaks by hand–and it was amazingly moist! It even stayed moist over night in the fridge (yes, I had it for desert and breakfast!) We didn’t use coconut flour but subbed in the almond flour as advised. Also, we didn’t have any coconut oil, so we used canola oil to grease the pan. It did stick a bit in the pan, but in general it did not negatively impact the taste.

11. Amy Peacock

Great recipe! I doubled the recipe to make a layer cake with fresh strawberry sauce and a layer of sliced strawberries in the middle. I dare say it was the favorite part of the meal amongst our guests! I wish I could post a pic!

12. Vickie

Can stevia be used in place of the sugar? How much stevia would it take? Would it change the texture? I have a friend that can’t have sugar, honey, or agave as well as gluten so this would be perfect if I can leave out the sugar.

1. Alyssa Rimmer , post author

Hi Vickie – to be honest, I don’t think that stevia would work as a substitute because the proportions are so different. What about using a granulated sugar like xylitol? That seems to work for people who are sugar-free and I believe they work as a 1:1 substitute. I’d suggest trying that first, and please let us know how it turns out! – Alyssa

13. Linda Carbone

I would like to make a version of this cake. I am gluten intolerant and almond intolerant. Any other flour suggestions? Thank you very much.

1. PJ Hamel

Linda, I believe you could substitute hazelnut flour or another nut flour for the almond flour – that should work just fine. Good luck – PJH

14. Francine

Amy, I make my own almond milk as well and often use the pulp in baking an almond coffee cake. After dehydrating the pulp, I grind it to a fine consistency in my Ninja. I think it would work here as well and plan to try it soon.

Alyssa, my question to you is – since there is so little sugar in this recipe, do you think it could be replaced with Splenda?

15. Conni

If I make it the day before I serve it. will it be just as good (of course adding the strawberries at the last minute)?

1. Alyssa Rimmer , post author

Hi Conni – I can’t say that it will be just as good, but it will still be delicious! I typically have stored mine in the fridge and it didn’t dry out on me. I’d just suggest that you keep it covered. Let us know how it turns out! – Alyssa

16. Marcy Tanger

I would like to make this ahead and freeze it-does that work and for how long can I freeze it?

1. Alyssa Rimmer , post author

I haven’t actually tried freezing the cake before. I think you could probably do it and I’d suggest not freezing for more than a few weeks or so. Hope that helps! – Alyssa

17. Shirley Brush

I made this today, Memorial Day, and it was delicious! But I omitted the sugar on the bottom of the pan and made a strawberry glaze for over the top of the strawberries.

18. Mel

Really great recipe. I made it at the last minute for a spontaneous get together yesterday, and it was great. The batter wasn’t temperamental at all. I thought I would have problems folding the egg whites into the very stiff yolk batter, but it loosened up nicely and I didn’t kill the meringue in the process. It bakes up nicely, even accounting for a slight malfunction in my oven. As I said, not temperamental at all, even though I was making it with kids/dogs/guests running around. I dusted my tart pan with sugar, but the sugar didn’t provide a crunchy crust. It was just absorbed into the top layer. Other than that, everything was exactly as described and the results were a sophisticated cake that implies that I worked a lot harder than I did. Thanks for the great recipe!

1. Alyssa Rimmer , post author

So happy that you enjoyed it! I too was a little worried about folding the egg whites into the batter, so I’m glad you stuck with it :) Such a great cake to have in your recipe box! – Alyssa