pumpkin cinnamon rolls: Beyond pie

Ah! on Thanksgiving day, when from East and from West,
From North and from South, come the pilgrim and guest,
When the gray-haired New Englander sees round his board
The old broken links of affection restored,
When the care-wearied man seeks his mother once more,
And the worn matron smiles where the girl smiled before.
What moistens the lip and what brightens the eye?
What calls back the past, like the rich pumpkin pie?

- John Greenleaf Whittier

You know, I just HAD to print that 19th-century poem here, even though Thanksgiving is weeks away. And the recipe we’re making today isn’t pumpkin pie. Because, if you think you don’t like poetry, the verse above might make you think again.

Indeed, what DOES call back the past, like the rich pumpkin… sweet roll?

While you may be a dyed-in-the-wool pumpkin pie aficionado, there’s so much more to this humble gourd than a once-a-year Thanksgiving pie. Think pumpkin soup. And pumpkin muffins. And how about curried pumpkin scones? To say nothing of a pumpkin “jelly roll,” filled with a rich cream cheese filling…

Never knew pumpkin was such a versatile baking ingredient, did you?

Not only does pumpkin add great texture and flavor to all kinds of treats; it adds deep-gold color, as well. Beauty may be only crust-deep, but it doesn’t hurt to put something delicious AND pretty on the table. And what easier way to add color to what can often be a pretty beige-brown-tan affair: the holiday bread basket?

The following pumpkin rolls feature a swirl of cinnamon, plus cranberries and bits of crystallized ginger scattered throughout.

That’s a combination that certainly brightens my eye. How about you?

img_1909.jpg

Here’s the ingredient that’ll give your rolls their distinctive flavor and lovely golden color: canned pumpkin. NOT pumpkin pie filling; just plain ol’ pumpkin.

Can you use your own homemade puréed pumpkin? Sure. You may need to adjust the amount of liquid in the recipe to balance the amount of liquid in your purée.

img_1910.jpg

This is one of those easy “put everything into a bowl” recipes:

1 cup canned pumpkin or squash
2 large eggs
2 tablespoons to 1/4 cup lukewarm water*
1/4 cup soft butter
2 1/2 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
1 3/4 cups King Arthur White Whole Wheat Flour
1/4 cup Baker’s Special Dry Milk or nonfat dry milk
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves, optional
3 tablespoons brown sugar, light or dark
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons instant yeast

*Adjust the amount of water by the time of year or your climate. For summer, or in a humid environment, use the lesser amount of water. In winter, or in a dry climate, use the greater amount. It’s always best to start with the lesser amount; you can always add more, but it’s pretty hard to go back and add less!

img_1911.jpg

Mix to combine…

img_1912.jpg

…then knead till smooth. The dough may be fairly sticky; that’s OK. So long as it holds its shape, you’re good.

img_1913.jpg

Place the dough in a lightly greased bowl or other container; I’m using an 8-cup measure here, so I can track how much it’s risen.

img_1939.jpg

Cover, and let rise for 1 1/2 hours, until it’s puffy, though not necessarily doubled in bulk.

img_1940.jpg

Gently deflate the dough, and transfer it to a lightly greased work surface.

img_1941.jpg

Roll the dough into a 14” x 22” rectangle.

img_1943.jpg

It’ll be very thin. Don’t stress if you can’t make it exactly 14” x 22”.

img_1944.jpg

Next up: the flavors of fall. Here we have 1/4 cup of dried cranberries on the left, 1/4 cup of diced crystallized ginger on the right. These will be sprinkled on the rolled dough…

img_1946.jpg

…after we’ve spread it with the filling.

Combine the following:

3/4 cup Baker’s Cinnamon Filling*
3 tablespoons water

*Substitute 3/4 cup granulated sugar and 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon for the Baker’s Cinnamon Filling and water, if desired. If you use sugar and cinnamon, DO NOT ADD THE WATER.

img_1947.jpg

Doesn’t that filling look GOOOOOOD!

img_1949.jpg

Spread it over the dough. If you use sugar and cinnamon, brush the dough with water, then sprinkle with the cinnamon and sugar.

img_1950.jpg

Leave one short edge free of filling.

img_1951.jpg

Sprinkle the cranberries and ginger atop the filling. Don’t like cranberries? Leave ’em out. Don’t like crystallized ginger? Leave it out. Don’t like cinnamon filling? Try another recipe!

img_1952.jpg

Starting with the end with filling, roll the dough into a log.

img_1953.jpg

Seal it closed. Next, you’re going to cut it into 9 rolls. It helps to use a ruler and measure the entire log, divide by 9, then actually make slight cuts, as a guide.

img_1956.jpg

A serrated knife is the easiest way to cut this dough. If things start getting too sticky, rinse the knife in hot water (don’t dry it), and continue.

img_1957.jpg

There you have it: 9 fat rolls.

img_1960.jpg

Lay the rolls in a  lightly greased 9” square pan; the pan needs to be at least 2” deep.

img_1963.jpg

Flatten them with your fingers, so they’re fairly tightly packed.

img_1981.jpg

Then cover, and let them rise for 1 hour, or until they look puffy – like this. Towards the end of the rising time, preheat the oven to 375°F.

img_2009.jpg

Bake the rolls for 25 to 30 minutes, until they’re lightly browned and feel set.

img_2015.jpg

Remove them from the oven, and set them on a rack.

img_2026.jpg

Turn them out of the pan, and allow them to cool for about 15 minutes. Towards the end of the cooling time, make the glaze.

img_2049.jpg

Combine the followoing:

1 cup glazing or confectioners’ sugar
1 tablespoon butter
1 1/2 tablespoons milk, or enough to make a “drizzlable” glaze

img_2050.jpg

Stir till smooth.

img_2059.jpg

Drizzle atop the warm buns.

img_2061.jpg

Like this.

img_2071.jpg

Plan B: If you like a glaze that seeps down into the buns, leaving a translucent (rather than bright white) layer on top, apply the glaze while the buns are HOT.

Read, rate, and review (please!) our recipe for Cinnamon Swirl Pumpkin Rolls.

comments

1. Kim

I think I gain 10 pounds every time I read your blog, which is often so I’m gaining A LOT, although I think the Twinkies entry was the wor– I mean best! Pumpkin, cinnamonayumyum (that’s what I call it), and cranberries – can it get any better than that??? These look simply divine. I bet they’d go great with a cup of hot cider on the side, a chill in the air and a bright sunny day with the leaves crunching at my feet! Oh yeahhh! Mary @ KAF

2. Alissa

THANKS! I have been dying to try a pumpkin cinnamon roll recipe. We love the Clone of a Cinnabon and Emmy’s Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins (before you made it into a loaf and with cinnamon chips instead of chocolate). Looks like I have Sunday’s breakfast planned!

3. Mary

Pumpkin is my #1 ingredient for baking most everything! It might be the only vegetable one of my daughters will eat…I will make these rolls this weekend to the certain delight of my family.

4. Brenna

If you wanted to do the last rise overnight in the refrigerator and bake them in the morning, should you let the dough reach room temperature before putting them in the oven? Or is it ok a bit cold? They may need a bit of time to rise more. That doesn’t usually start to happen until they warm up a bit. Sometimes, they are ready to go right in the oven, but it is best to plan on them needing 30 minutes to an hour before they go into oven. Mary @ KAF

5. Joni M

wow–what isn’t to like about anything pumpkiny, cinnamony, and with the added delight of dried cranberries?? Hummm, going to have to try these!!!

6. Sandy

Oh my goodness…those look so yummy!!! What a great idea…pumpkin cinnamon rolls…for the holidays. Since my hubby would not like the dried cranberries I would do this like regular cinnamon rolls with the addition of pecans to the filling.

7. Lisa

These Cinnamon Swirl Pumpkin Rolls look incredible. I just ordered a few items that I would need to make this recipe. I am not an experienced baker. Can I make this recipe the night before, cut, and put them in the pan to be ready to bake the next morning? Thanks for the great recipes.Yes. Let them rise for about 30 minutes, then wrap them and pop them in the refrigerator. In the morning pull them out, let them rise a bit more and warm up , unwrap and then bake and enjoy. Mary @ KAF

8. Alissa

For overnight rolls, I would make these like my cinnamon rolls. I would refrigerate overnight. In the morning I would put them in the cold oven and put a pan of boiling hot water below them to proof for about 30 minutes. Then remove the pan with the water and bake the rolls as normal. Works great.

Thanks, Alissa – great hint. Appreciate you sharing- PJH

9. Kim

HOLY COW! I am in love! These are about the best looking cinnamon rolls I have ever seen! I am a sucker for anything pumpkin, so this recipe is tailor-made for me. I can’t wait to try it!

10. LindaDV

I may have to make these twice, once with cinnamon filling and once with cream cheese filling. A package of cream cheese, 8 oz and 1 cup of powdered sugar ought to be yummy. The roll recipe that uses this filling also has chocolate chips. Pumpkin and chocolate go together, don’t they?
    Oh yes, pumpkin and chocolate definitely go together. Joan@bakershotline

11. Lish

Pumpkin, cranberries, ginger and cinnamon, I am in heaven! Will be trying these this weekend for dessert with some mulled hot cider with ginger brandy, my favorite cold weather cocktail. I can’t wait!

12. Carla

I plan to make these this weekend but for the glaze I am going to add in some maple flavoring…oh, man! It is incredible what maple flavoring does for powdered sugar glaze! Yum!

13. Lish

My favorite pumpkin bread recipe calls for diced crystallized ginger and mini chocolate chips, awesome combo! Also, would this recipe work as a pumpkin cinnamon swirl loaf in the 9×5 pain de mie? This will work nicely in your pan. Joan@bakershotline

14. allison

Oooh. These look amazing. Especially with the overnight rise option. I’ll have a houseful staying during Thanksgiving, and this should be the perfect breakfast on Wednesday morning before we start all the cooking prep. Thank you!

15. Becky

A side note on pumpkin: Cats love it, and it’s really good for them! Anything made with pumpkin has to be shared with the cats in my house. They smell it and won’t leave me alone. So, if you’re wondering what to do with the leftover pumpkin in the can, ask the nearest cat!

16. Julie

What if I don’t have white whole wheat flour, but just regular whole wheat flour. Do I use the same amount or less? Can’t wait to make these – yum! Yes, you may make these with the same amount of regular whole wheat flour. Joan@bakershotline

17. Barbara

You guys at KAF are INSANE! And I totally want to work there!

I haven’t tried this recipe because I just saw it today (Friday) BUT it will be on the brunch menu tomorrow morning! Thanks for the extra 5lbs. I’m sure to gain this weekend but knowing KAF recipes like I do, this too will be well worth the extra treadmill time.

18. Pingback: Friday Favorites – Episode 28 | my kitchen addiction

19. Danielle

I love to make cinnamon rolls. This variation looks absolutely wonderful. The crystallized ginger in the filling adds a nice, extra touch. I will be giving this recipe a test spin in my kitchen this week!

20. AJ

Love baked pumpkin goodies in all forms. Like to do this as a pumpkin swirl loaf also…also with maple glaze drizzled over it. would it work in a regular 9X5 pan? How long a baking time would you advise?
    Dang-my stomach is rumbling!

I think this MIGHT be too big for a 9 x 5 pan, AJ. But you could certainly try baking it freeform. Or maybe in a bundt or tube pan? PJH

21. Marie in TLH

I noticed that the whole wheat flour is 41% of the total flour used. Is that a good rule for altering an all-white flour recipe? I would prefer more whole wheat than white in a recipe. Can you give some guidance? I do have your whole grain cookbook and it is fantastic. It is my baking bible.

Hi Marie – the general rule is start with 1/4 of the flour whole wheat, then keep raising the percentage till you no longer care for the texture/taste. PJH

22. Joet D

O.K. these were amazing! I did substitute whole wheat flour, and it was a bit heavier than expected (didn’t get quite the lift I was expecting). Maybe a bit more yeast? Also, I added a bit of powdered ginger into the bakers cinnamon to give a little bite. All together… a definite keeper on all fronts!

Excellent! Yes, you can increase the yeast if you like; whole wheat will never rise as much as AP, due to the fact the sharp little bran bits cut the gluten as it forms. Kind of like pins pricking a balloon… Nice touch with the powdered ginger, too – PJH

23. Jennifer

I am so drooling over these! Wow! I’ll definitely be trying this recipe ASAP, and doubling it!! I must say though that I’m a huge fan of cream cheese icing (I use the recipe from your cinnabun clone) and I think I’ll be using that icing on these rolls.

24. Jayme

These are definitely going on the ‘to make’ list for the holidays! I love pumpkin anything.

Thanks so much for always posting such yummy looking recipes! I wish I worked for KAF! Baking all day plus…a discount (I presume) lol!

keep up the great work!

25. laketahoebill

I have a plan that’s gonna make me famous in the apartment building where I live: leaving out the ginger and cranberries (which could be objectionable to some people) and in their place substituting chopped nuts, raisins and then a few chocolate chips (on just one end for the chocoholics).

26. Danna

Is it possible to substitute regular whole wheat flour not only for the white whole wheat flour but also for all – or most – of the unbleached all-purpose flour? My family prefers to eat whole grains as much as possible. Thanks.

Sure, Danna – expect a much denser, and somewhat drier roll, if you substitute 100% red whole wheat. Also, not as tasty. But if you’re used to whole grains, you might find it quite acceptable. Give it a good, long rise, to get as much lift as possible, OK? Good luck – PJH

27. Fred Rothenberg

PROBLEM!

I made the little guys. The dough was in the rising bucket for 90 minutes and didn’t expand one whit. Nada, nothing.

I rolled them anyway and placed the 9 rolls in the pan. They’ve been there 30 minutes and haven’t expanded at all.

I used fresh instant yeast.

Any ideas?

Sorry, Fred – hard to diagnose from afar. Did you measure the salt right? Try leaving them in the fridge overnight, see if they rise. If not, call us, 800-827-6836; our bakers can talk you through it. PJH

28. Pat

Is there is alternative to the dry milk? I don’t usually have that in the house.
    Is there away to regular milk?
    Thank You, can’t to try these.

Hi – You can substitute milk for the water called for – that’ll be fine. You may experience a longer rise, as the Special dry milk helps the yeast work. But be patient – it’ll work at its own pace. Good luck – PJH

29. Michelle Tan

Can I substitute canned pumpkin with fresh mashed pumpkin and how much do I need ? Thank you.

Michelle, as you read through the directions you’ll see I address that subject: how much you need depends on how liquid your purée is compared to canned, so you’ll just have to give it a good guess, OK? Good luck – fresh purée sounds yummy! PJH

30. Janet

These pumpkin rolls look wonderful but bring to mind a “pumpkin” question that’s been puzzling me. A certain famous company makes a large Pumpkin-Spice English muffin that is sooo good. I make English muffins all the time and have produced some beauties but I haven’t been able to figure out how to add pumpkin puree to an English muffin recipe. I’m not sure how much to add and whether it should replace an equivalent amount of the of the liquid required.
    “Pumpkin English Muffins” is the first first recipe that I have done a search for on the Internet that came back with NOT ONE SINGLE RESULT! Maybe your kitchens could come up with a good recipe and share it with us!

Very interesting – I’ve never heard of these. I’d replace pumpkin for probably a good 3/4 of the liquid. Give it a try, let us know how it comes out. And if we get a chance, we’ll give it a try, too. PJH

31. charlotte zeuner

I think I must go to the library and get a copy of John Grenleaf Whitters poem ( it touched me so, in all of the turmoil we are surround with) so I will make our pumkin rolls and wait to sit with warm roll and a cup of tea and a great book Thank you (the recipes are allways great, thanks for the reminder of the book . Perfect and there will be a reading at our Thanksgiving Table)

Glad you enjoyed the poem (well, partial poem), Charlotte. You should be able to find the entire piece online somewhere, if you can’t make it to the library… PJH

32. marie

Well, I made these yesterday and they were amazing! My son pronounced them the “best thing you made mom” They were gone in 3 hours! This is a keeper-thanks KA

Whoa, high praise indeed, Marie, when it comes from our children! Thanks for sharing your “moment of triumph” – PJH

33. Josie

In response to Alissa’s comment about proofing in the oven in the morning….at what point to you turn the oven on? Do you remove rolls and preheat, then put them back in? Or do you turn oven on at end of 30 min. w/ pan of water and leave them in there?
    At the end of 30 minutes remove the pan of water and turn your oven on. Leave the rolls in your oven. Joan@bakershotline.

34. kymm in colorado

I live in very dry high altitude Colorado near Mesa Verde Nat’l Park. I sometimes have a real problem having yeasty things rise properly. I love whole wheat products. these look amazing. Do I have to add more h2o, &/or yeast to have them rise and bake properly? and should baking time be increased or decreased for my area?

Check our website for high altitude baking tips (at the bottom of the recipe page). There is a wealth of information there as well as contact information for the Colorado State Cooperative Extension Resource Center, which has many other tips for high altitude baking. Irene @ KAF

35. Mindy

My problem is I cant find canned pumpkin locally. Just called my local supermarket and they still dont have it…

Cook a sugar pumpkin and puree it to get your own pumpkin for this recipe. This recipe will work (see the blog for confirmation) with real, fresh, cooked pumpkin. There are many suggestions on-line that guide you through this process of making your own pumpkin puree. Irene @ KAF

36. Betty A.

A question about making ahead and freezing these: would it be better to freeze them unbaked, defrost overnight in the refrig, and then bake in the morning; or bake, freeze, defrost and warm them?

Better to freeze unbaked, Betty. Let them rise about 3/4 of the way, then freeze. Thaw overnight in the fridge, then leave yourself enough time in the morning for them to warm a bit before baking. PJH

37. Claire F.

I teach high school foods class and we have class every other day. Can this recipe rise in the refrigerator until the 2nd day. Example: class meets on Monday then I see them next on Wednesday. Sounds like a wonderful recipe for fall.

Give it a try, Claire – not sure if the dough will get sourish-tasting, or rise TOO much (in which case you could cut back on the yeast) but it might be just fine… PJH

38. Shannon

Do you have any suggestions how to make these smaller? Would cutting the dough in half and rolling out 2 smaller rectangles do the trick? Do you think it will affect the baking time? Thanks!

Yes, Shannon, you could certainly cut the dough in half and make two smaller logs. You could also roll starting with a long side, and that would make smaller circumference rolls. And yes, you’d probably bake a lit less – just keep your eye on them after about 15 minutes… PJH

39. HMB

This recipe is a keeper! Made the rolls last night and let them rise overnight in the fridge to bake and enjoy today. I made a maple glaze — thought the color and the flavor would be a nice complement, and indeed it was. Thanks for another wonderful recipe — KAF rocks!!!

Oooohhh, maple glaze – now THAT sonds ike the perfect final touch! Thanks for sharing – PJH

40. Julie

No canned pumpkin anywhere in sight b/c of all the rain in early summer. Is a pie pumpkin the same as a sugar pumpkin that is mentioned above for creating your own pumpkin puree?

Yes, Julie, pie and sugar pumpkins can be used interchangeably. I hope canned pumpkin gets into the market soon – I know it was a terrible year for pumpkins. Maine’s crop is down 50%… PJH

41. SoupAddict Karen

Following up the last post, I was shocked yesterday when I went to the grocery store to buy canned pumpkin for this recipe, only to find the shelves completely empty. I even went to another store that’s kind of tucked away in the corner of nowhere, and they were just about out (so, I stocked up…). I’ll have to read up on making and storing pumpkin puree (I’ve seen plenty of fresh pie pumpkins around) – it’s only October 4th and pumpkin yummies season still has almost two months to go! Anyway, I made these last night, and they were just awesome. So cinnamony and pumpkiny delicious (and I loved the touch of ginger). Thank you, PJ. :)

Yes, this could be a big problem this year, with the terrible pumpkin crop. NO pumpkin pie at Thanksgiving? Heaven forfend!! Did you know pumpkin is America’s second favorite pie after apple? Maybe not this year… Glad you stocked up – PJH

42. jack

Hi

Regarding your cinnamon pumkin rolls with cranberries. To add a little twist to it add some chocolate chips the white ones Jack

I like the thought of that melty tasty yumminess, Jack… PJH

43. Deb

FABULOUS!! I posted on Facebook that I was making these and wow, an instant hit! :) Took one to my baristas at Starbucks – they were in heaven. Thank you!

44. LindaDV

I made these last night and they are great! They are almost gone and it is just the two of us eating them. The whole wheat and pumpkin are good for us, I am sure. Thanks for a new pumpkin recipe!

I looked for news on the canned pumpkin shortage, Libby is hoping to have the newest crop in cans and on store shelves soon. I found a store with large cans and bought a couple. The storing tips on the label suggested freezing for up to 3 months. I am not a pumpkin pie fan but I love any other pumpkin baked product.

45. SueL

Scrumptious!

When I saw this recipe, I had to make them. They looked so delicious. I followed the recipe and had no issues. They turned out beautiful. My husband said it made him feel like the holidays! My kids tried them, but were not crazy about the ginger and cranberries. Next time I will change it up for raisins and miniature chocolate chips. They were, however, crazy about the Twinkie Vanilla Cakes. Those were gone within a few days. Thanks so much for all the great recipes.

46. Beth

For those who can’t find canned pumpkin, sweet potatoes are a great substitution in my humble opinion (probably someone has already suggested this); in fact, I almost never make pumpkin pies anymore. I just substitute raw sweet potatoes which I boil in pumpkin pie spices, mash and then use in any recipe calling for canned pumpkin. I’ve never had a problem with excess moisture. I didn’t realize there was a pumpkin shortage. Between equipment constantly breaking down and the weather wreaking havoc with crops, the poor farmers always get slammed in some manner every year. It’s never-ending.

Thanks, Beth – great suggestion. I make a lot of squash rolls, too, so if you have acorn squash, you could certainly substitute that – or substitute canned squash, which you can often find right next to the canned pumpkin. And, being a farmer yourself (how’s my cow?), you certainly have the true perspective on what a difficult job it is – Thanks for connecting. PJH

47. Diane

I made these Saturday and they are yummy!!!!! My garden produced lots! of pumpkins so I don’t know about any pumpkin shortage. Thanks for the recipe.

48. marianne

I made these last night and baked them this morning. I let them raise about 45 minutes before putting them into the fridge. When I got up I put them straight into the oven at 350* and let the oven and the rolls warm up together. They sprung up beautifully.

I used some leftover squash I’d baked earlier in the week, and I added a chopped apple and raisins to the filling. They’re beautiful and delicious! I also cut into 12 pieces and they filled a 9×13 full. There’s no way a 9×9 pan could have contained them.

49. Steph in ME

Thank you for featuring One Pie pumpkin, a Maine company. I’ve never used anything else with success, along with KAF, in all my pumpkin baked goods! I think if I did use a different brand, my grandmothers would roll over…

50. Betsy

I made these last night. I always brush a simple syrup on the rolls as soon as they come out of the oven, before putting on the icing. It helps to keep them soft. For the filling, I creamed butter, brown sugar and pumpkin spice mix together. Next time will add craisins. Thanks for posting this recipe.

51. Jackie BW

These are astonishingly good! I roasted two sugar pumpkins this weekend and used fresh puree when I made these. Nice, subtle pumpkin flavor. It was my first experience with the saf-instant yeast from the KAF store and it performed well. They baked up quite nicely in my 10-inch round cast iron skillet. These rolls will be an autumn staple at our house. Thanks for the recipe!

52. Amy K.

Oh goodness! Hey, can you make a version of this page that is more printer-friendly? I want to make this, but my print-preview is 27 pages, and it looks terrible on my iphone!

Sure, Amy – Just go to the recipe link at the end of the blog, and link to the recipe itself – Cinnamon Swirl Pumpkin Rolls. Upper right, above the photo, there’s a printer friendly link. Hope this helps! Yes, it IS pretty small on the iPhone, huh? But the pics still look yummy… PJH

nt -->
  53. Tracey

After reading the blog, I made these rolls as a Sunday afternoon snack for my husband, son, and I. We about went crazy smelling them baking in the oven. I have to say, these are the absolute best cinnamon rolls we’ve ever eaten. In lieu of the cinnamon filling, I spread the dough rectangle with melted butter, a generous amount of brown sugar, a dusting of cinnamon, and a handful of chopped pecans. Thanks, KAF, for a delicious recipe and for all you do for home bakers!

Sounds luscious, Tracey – thanks for sharing your success! PJH

54. Candy

I made these last weekend and my husband LOVED them The one quesstion/comment i had is i didn’t have whole wheat flour, so i just used regular flour and it worked but i just wondered why the combo of flours?

We try to add whole wheat in lots of different recipes, Candy. It’s simply for the added nutrition/fiber; and when you use white whole wheat, you barely notice it’s there, which is wonderful for whole-wheat non-fans… PJH

55. pity

lovely lovely lovely! i love the pumpkin touch, very appropriate, wonderful recipe!

cheers from london,

pity

Cheers from here! Do you bake much with pumpkin there? PJH

56. Cindy

Just logged on to shop and saw the recipe. Can’t wait to make them. We love anything pumpkin. I work at a local grocery store. the One Pie Pumpkin is starting to arrive. So for all you pumpkin lovers out there, Stock up! Thanks again for another lovely recipe.

57. Lish

This made a wonderful swirled loaf of bread, that everyone loved. I put it in my small pain de mie and it made a lovely soft loaf that looked so pretty when sliced, and my kids love it toasted with butter. The cranberries and ginger just put it over the top. This is a keeper.

58. Nene Adams

Made these today – they were absolutely delicious! Thanks for the lovely recipe. Living in Holland, I can’t get canned pumpkin, so I used my own pumpkin puree from last year which I froze in for just such an occasion. Don’t like candied ginger that much, so I substituted walnuts. I may try the excellent idea next time to make it into a loaf of bread.

59. Shawnna

OOPS!
    While putting away ingredients, I realized I had forgotten to add the dry milk. I am doing the first rise right now. Hopefully they will be ok!

60. Pamela

Make these (a double batch) over the weekend. They were FABULOUS. I will be having Thanksgiving guests and plan to do the overnight proof for breakfast the next morning.

61. Angela

I was wondering why I shouldn’t add the water to the filling if I am not using the Baker’s Cinnamon Filling. Wouldn’t I need to make a sort of paste with the sugar and cinnamon? Thanks for the great recipe!
    Angela in VA

If you are using the Baker’s Cinnamon Filling, water can be added to make the paste as it has some extra ingredients besides cinnamon and sugar. If you are using just cinnamon/sugar, adding water will make a syrup or soup that will not hold it’s shape or place in the rolls. Irene @ KAF

62. Jen

I saw this last week and have been trying to find time to make these. Picked up White Whole wheat on sale yesterday. I think I may have to go back and get more based on the reaction I got.

63. Bernie

Is there any reason that these can’t be mixed up on the dough setting of the bread machine? They look great and we did manage to grow a few nice little sugar pumpkins this year. That should work. Have fun with it! Mary @ KAF

64. Ressy

First time I’ve made cinnamon rolls of any kind and these were a hit in this house!

Came out perfect!

thanks

Ressy

65. Katie

I am wanting to try these for brunch… do you think they can rise in the oven over night and baked first thing in the morning?

I would had to ruin them. I might do a trial run.. just curious if you think it will work?

PS I live in the Cayman Islands so it is very humid here.. how do you think that will affect the end product?
    HI Katie,
    Instead of rising overnight in the oven, rise overnight in the fridge. The oven will be too warm and your rolls will overrise causing them to collapse. The fridge is a much safer bet.
    The humidity will cause your flour to be wetter, so you might not need all the liquid in the recipe. Keep an eye on the dough texture and make adjustments as needed. ~ MaryJane

66. Robin

ok I just maked these and they are good!!! even with out the eggs that I totally missed I used the bread machine to make the dough I i put the dough in a bowl to rise I cut the dough in half rolled it out put cinn. sugar and cranraisans homeade candied ginger the other half I did the sugar and peacan peices and in my pan I put brown sugar and pacans I just ate one of those yummy even I forgot the eggs I saw the pice if the candie ginger I almost fanited at the store so I said I can make it my self for a fraction of the price all I need was a recipe to make it and I for alton browns on youtube and the recipe at food network.
    I will try this again this time with the eggs

67. Zach

I made these the other night to rave reviews! I can honestly say that these were the best things I have ever baked (I am pretty new at this). As a new baker, I have one question about rolling rolls. The two ends of my roll were sticking out and so didn’t have any filling. Did I roll to vigorously? They still tasted good, but I compensated by putting more icing on them.
    When you roll your dough try to keep the sides even on your rectangle. Then spread your filling evenly over the surface and out to the side edges. This should help. Joan@bakershotline

68. Rebecca

When I saw the picture, and all the visual aid photos and explainations — I couldn’t wait to try these. I made these yesterday and they are DELICIOUS. Big, fat beautiful rolls.

69. charlotte tice

I tried these this past weekend. I didn’t have the ginger, so I used craisons and finely chopped white chocolate for the one pan and the brown sugar with finely chopped pecans for the other pan. I used a thin layer of cream cheese icing on both of them. I have always hated when people write reviews but change everything, but I did change the fillings. The pumpkin rolls were great. Thanks for the recipe.

70. Amy

made this last night/ this morning. YUMMY!!!! used all white whole wheat, no one seems to notice.. doubled the cranberries but still used only 1/4 candied ginger. My only problem with these (and I’ll admit, it’s not truly a “problem”) is the same that I have with most canned pumpkin recipes! the recipe calls for only a portion of the can, and the remaining portion is not typically enough to make a full recipe of something else! Is there any way you kitchen gods and goddesses could ratio up this recipe to use a full can of pumpkin? It’s not as if MORE of these cinnamon buns would be a bad thing, now is it? ;)
    THANKS for another great recipe!
    You may double this recipe or make another that uses the other part of the can of pumpkin. Look at the chocolate spice pumpkin cake or the pumpkin ginger swirl cake. Joan @ The Bakers hotline

71. Beth

We didn’t have any pumpkin, so I used an equal amount of very finely grated fresh carrot. Yummy! Can’t wait to try it again with pumpkin.

72. Karen

We got a call last night that our daughter-in-law had just delivered a healthy grand daughter for us. I was so excited that couldn’t go back to sleep so I got up and made the pumpkin cinnamon rolls to take to the hospital. When we left for the hospital, they were still warm and smelled DELICIOUS. I made two recipes and, as posted earlier, one can is too much for one recipe but not enough for two. I had a small squash and a sweet potato that I boiled and added to the remaining pumpkin. Both recipes turned out perfect and the taste is outstanding. When I am ready to do the filling, I melt butter and add brown sugar and cinnamon making a paste which is easy to spread. Also, for one batch, instead of butter, I used applesauce, brown sugar and cinnamon, making them lower in calories and fat. Can I just say that my husband told me I should not take those rolls to the hospital. They should be left at home. (FOR HIM). Thanks for another great recipe. Keep them coming, I love the compliments!

Karen, congratulations on your new granddaughter! I’m glad such a happy occasion inspired another happy occasion – baking. And tell your husband he’ll just have to accompany you to the hospital if he wants a warm roll… :) PJH

73. Nichael Cramer

I’m definitely trying these this weekend, but let me ask one small clarification.

When substituting for the Baker’s Cinnamon Filling, you write:

“Substitute 3/4 cup granulated sugar and 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon for the Baker’s Cinnamon Filling and water, if desired. If you use sugar and cinnamon, DO NOT ADD THE WATER.”

So this means I should just mix the granulated sugar and cinnamon and then sprinkle/spread it on the dough, as is (i.e. dry). Is this correct?
    Yes, that’s just the way to do it. Have fun! ~ MaryJane

74. Barbara

Do you have published nutritional information for this recipe? I didn’t see any, but if you do and I just missed it, I’d appreciate being pointed in the right direction. Thanks!
    HI Barbara,
    We don’t have the nutritionals for this recipe. We do hope to add nutritionals to all web recipes in the future, but it is still a work in progress. ~ MaryJane

75. Kevin

I made these twice this past weekend. The first batch I used the cinnamon sugar mix along w/crystalized ginger. It was very good, but w/the crystalized ginger at $7.99 for about a half cup, I thought that I’d try something a little less expensive. The second batch I used the cinnamon sugar mix along w/raisins and chopped Pecans. Much cheaper and much more flavorful. (imho)
    Hi Kevin,
    Hey, it’s yho (your humble opinion) that makes all the difference. Glad you were able to make the recipe truly your own. ~ MaryJane

76. Anne

Oh dear. I mixed these up this morning, it’s been about 1 1/2 hours in the greased bowl, and no rise at all. I used the same yeast that I used for bread the other day – which rose just fine. I’ll wait awhile longer – we do keep our house very cool.

If it doesn’t rise at all, I’d hate to throw away these wonderful ingredients. What can I do with the dough? Just go ahead and roll it anyway, fill it and bake it? Seems like it will be yummy no matter what.

Anne – Don’t panic! The recipe says to wait 1 1/2 hours for the intial rise. This is just a benchmark. It may take 2 hours in your cooler kitchen. It does not have to double. Look for some puffiness in the dough and then proceed with the recipe. If you have already gone with your slow dough this morning, it may be just fine anyway and rise like a champ in the second rising. Elisabeth @ KAF

77. Anne

Elisabeth – thank you for your advice. I did let the dough rise for about 2 1/2 hours, and it became puffier Now that I think about it, the eggs were cold, the butter had been left out overnight but we’re not running heat yet, so it wasn’t very soft. And, I used kosher salt. So maybe that combination of factors coupled with cold kitchen made for a slow rise.

Inside the rolls I used chopped pecans and a few golden raisins. I used a small can of pumpkin, so I had some left. I used up half of the left over in the cinnamon sugar filling – mix some of the pumpkin, cinnamon, white sugar, and brown sugar, and make a paste that looks like your Baker’s Cinnamon Filling paste. The frosting was the rest of the left over pumpkin, a bit of cream cheese, and confectioners sugar. Yummy – am enjoying a roll now with tea.

Even though we’re at 75 degrees this sunny afternoon here in Charlotte, it’s fall and these rolls hit the spot! Thanks to all you KAF’ers!

78. Roseann

I’m glad I saw the blog picture as I would never had made them from the very thick icing picture on the recipe. This were great and a bit hit with my family. I used 1/2 cups of cranberries and 1/4 cup of ginger. For the filling I used butter, brown sugar and cinnamon – although I plan to get your cinnamon filling paste in my next order! Since the comments said these were really big rolls, I rolled it the long way and made 12 slices in a 9 x 13 pan. Because we don’t like the thick icing, I iced while warm. They were still tender and moist the next day. A great fall sweet roll! Loved it!

Glad the blog photos helped, Roseann- and glad they turne dout yummy for you. PJH

79. Kashmi

Just adding to the other comments about how good these rolls are. I overworked the dough because I forgot to add a couple of ingredients and had to go back and knead them in. But the rolls still were tender. I was wondering whether the pumpkin + white whole wheat helped (less gluten forming)?

This is a very forgiving recipe in other ways, too: both the proofing and rising were done in the refrigerator. I’d made the dough Saturday night , intending to cook them Sunday evening so we’d have rolls for Monday morning. But when rolling out the dough to make the rolls, there were requests for “hot rolls in the morning, please.” So the rolls on the baking pans went back into the refrig a second time and were baked Monday morning (of course, only the cook got up extra early!).

Thanks for this inventive recipe that made everyone feel virtuous about eating cinnamon rolls.

80. Mimi

I am making these right now with the half can of pumpkin puree I had left from making homemade pumpkin ice cream. My kitchen smells like heaven! I think when they’re done I will slather them with the Cinnabon fake out cream cheese glaze instead of the straight powdered sugar. I think cream cheese and pumpkin anything go together well.
    Thanks for the great recipe!

Sounds like a plan, Mimi – Enjoy! PJH

81. Dee

Looks like a great recipe! My little nephew is allergic to eggs and dairy. Can I just omit the milk powder and eggs? If not, what substitutes would you recommend. Thanks!

Consider soy milk for the milk powder. Use 1/4 cup soy milk for the equal amount of water called for in the recipe. Don’t forget to add the other 2 T. water. We have many egg substitutions here. Call a baker and they will help you with the “recipe” and amounts. 802-649-3717 is the baker’s hotline number. Irene @ KAF

82. Dee

Oops. I totally forgot to mention that he is also allergic to soy (as well as nuts, tree nuts, beef, kiwi, sesame). This child is allergic to everything. :( Could I use coconut milk? I realize the taste will be different, but there aren’t too many options…

Dee, please call the Baker’s Hotline, as Irene suggested. The ladies on the ‘line can talk this through with you more easily than trying to figure it out here… 802-649-3717. Good luck – PJH

83. Lucy

I saw this recipe and HAD to try these delicious looking rolls. I am known for my cinnamon rolls so a friend forwarded the recipe to me knowing I’d love to try this variation. The recipe was very easy and the dough was simple to work with. I loved the ingredient list which sounded like a true winner. While the rolls were certainly delicious (sweet, tender, moist), I didn’t get enough pumpkin flavor from the rolls. It was almost as though they needed “pumpkin extract” to bring out the pumpkin flavor. My family enjoyed them but also agreed that the pumpkin-ness didn’t shine through. Too bad.

Too bad there’s no “pumpkin extract” out there, eh, Lucy? The flavor of pumpkin is indeed elusive; and many folks mistake certain spices for pumpkin. Maybe ramping up the spices a bit would help? PJH

84. skeptic7

I made these with all whole wheat flour and the pumpkin gave it a rich color. I left the spices out of the dough and added the ginger and cloves to the filling instead. Came out very nicely but a little dry. I am eating the first couple unfrosted but plan to make a maple icing to go with the last ones.

Maple icing? Ohhhhh…… That sounds SO good. Thanks for the inspiration! PJH

85. Elizabeth

Can I substitute active dry yeast for the instant yeast? If so, would I dissolve a 2 1/4 teaspoon packet of yeast in the two tablespoons of water with a little of the sugar from the recipe?

Yes, you may make this substitution. Instant yeast is treated as a dry ingredient. It is not proofed. Frank @ KAF.

86. Colette

I don’t know if worries about canned pumpkin remain the same now that it is November. I use my own puree. If folks can not find pie pumpkins, many winter squashes can be substituted. In fact, I prefer squash to many pumpkin varieties (especially if you use something other than a pie pumpkin). I find that a buttercup squash has a very sweet flesh, but it is dry. Banana squash is also very sweet–my mother used it rather than pumpkin in baking all her life. I imagine that butternut squash would work, too, although because I grew enough pumpkins and squashes in my garden I haven’t had to try it. As for differences in moisture levels, try to remember the consistency of canned pumpkin and add enough water (in the case of buttercup squash) or cook your puree down until it is of similar consistency to the canned product.

87. Marcie

Cinnamon Rolls are our family tradition for Christmas morning…. lookslike I just found a new tradition for Thanksgiving morning :) Thank you!

88. Amy

I am a lover of all things pumpkin and couldn’t wait to try this recipe. They turned out really well–super yummy! I used my bread machine to mix and knead the dough and it couldn’t have been easier. My husband kept telling me they were “awful” and he would make the sacrifice and eat them all so I wouldn’t have to–he said he was doing it because he was a “giver.” :) We fought over the last roll in the pan. Thank you for this great recipe.

I plan on making these for a few friends of mine for Christmas. I just found out that one of them doesn’t like pumpkin–WHAT!?! What would I need to do differently to make regular cinnamon rolls?

Thanks for all your great recipes. I enjoy your site very much.

Here you go, Amy – our Guaranteed Cinnamon Rolls recipe. Enjoy – PJH

89. Joy

OMG!! OMG!! These are delicious!! I’ve never made cinnamon rolls before and these look just like the pictures!! I am ecstatic! Presently, I am on a heart monitor for a slow heart rate, but I guarantee you, my heart is racing now!! King Arthur is the best site ever! I bought the sourdough starter and made the best bread. I’ve purchased so many ingredients from this site and cannot stop cooking! I have been wanting to visit Vermont and I know where my first stop will be!! Thanks