Those three little words we love to hear… Fast. Easy. Chocolate.

Chocolate lovers rejoice – this one is SO for you.

Feast your eyes on these cookies. See the chunks underneath that thin skin of satiny chocolate cookie? Break one of these babies open, and you’re met with pure chocolate bliss.

Chocolate chips. Or chocolate chunks.

Or our new chocolate-coffee chunks, semisweet chocolate mixed with finely ground coffee, which gives this confection a compelling, super-light crunchiness.

Coffee chunks are my new best friend in the kitchen. And a perfect excuse to make these cookies.

Cookie in structure, brownie in texture and taste, these moist, tender gems get rave reviews every time I bake them; which has been often, lately.

At first, I had to test the new coffee chunks – a number of times, “just to be sure.”

Next, I had to send a batch to my mom. Priority mail package to Florida: $9.80. Imagining Mom enjoying my homemade chocolate cookies: priceless.

Then, I wanted to test them on one of my favorite new pans, our American-made USA Pans rimless cookie sheet. Result of the test? Slick pan…. great cookies.

I thought I’d finally run out of reasons to “test” these cookies, but then discovered I was missing one picture in the step-by-step photos. DRAT! Gotta make ’em AGAIN.

Now, I’m really, REALLY done baking these cookies. Really.

Till Thanksgiving, at least.

Hey, do me a favor, would you? Test-bake these Double-Shot Mocha Chunks, and tell me what you think, below. If enough of you feel they need improvement, I may just have to test them again… and again.

img_3391.JPG

While our Double-Dutch Dark Cocoa blend doesn’t look particularly dark on its own, it yields a lovely, deep-dark cookie. It’s been “dutched” to reduce its acidic content, which lets the chocolate flavor shine through – AND makes baked goods darker in color. Plus, we add black cocoa (a “super roast” cocoa) to the blend, which deepens the chocolate color even more.

img_3387.JPG

I’m one lucky baker to be able to hang out in the King Arthur test kitchen. Look at the goodies I get to play with: Peter’s Burgundy chunks, top left; our new chocolate-coffee chunks next to them; white chunks, and coffee-and-cream-flavored cappuccino chips.

img_3388.JPG

Now, let’s put all these great ingredients together.

First, preheat the oven to 350°F.

Next, place the following in a mixing bowl:

1/2 cup butter
1 cup brown sugar
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon espresso powder, optional but VERY tasty
1/2 teaspoon salt

img_3389.JPG

Beat till well combined.

Some of you have mentioned that you’ve found this a very stiff dough to mix up. Melting the butter first definitely makes it easier, so go ahead and do that if you want; the finished cookies will be the same.

img_3390.JPG

Add 2 large eggs and 2 teaspoons vanilla extract. Beat till smooth, then add 2/3 cup Dutch-process cocoa and 1 3/4 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour.

img_3392.JPG

Beat again till smooth. The batter will be stiff and sticky. Add 1 cup semisweet or bittersweet chocolate chips, and…

img_3397.JPG

…1 cup of chocolate chunks, or flavored chips, or…

I decided to do an experiment, using the various chunks and chips mentioned previously. I divided the batter in four parts, mixing 1/4 cup of each kind of chip/chunk into each little bowl of batter. I figured those who like white chocolate will be happy; as will those who CAN’T STAND white chocolate (in which camp I reside).

img_4988.JPG

Drop the cookies by tablespoonfuls (about 1 1/2″ balls) onto the prepared baking sheets, leaving about 1 1/2″ between them. A tablespoon cookie scoop works well here.

And now, a word from our sponsor: King Arthur Flour – a.k.a. me, since we’re all employee-owners here. I want to tell you about my favorite new cookie sheet. You heard about my favorite new USA Pans pie pan last week. Here’s their 14” x 17” cookie sheet. You can read all about it – made in the USA, recycled steel and aluminum, non-stick, etc. – by clicking on the link. But here are some highlights:

img_4994.JPG

It’s a great size and shape – 20 balls of cookie dough fit beautifully, without crowding. And notice the rim along one side – very grippable, and you can easily sliiiiide the cookies off the sheet onto a rack via any of the other three sides.

img_4991.JPG

And what I really like is this “corrugated” surface. The little ridges allow air to circulate underneath the cookies as they bake, meaning their bottoms brown beautifully, without burning. And, since the cookies have less contact with the pan…

img_5003.JPG

…they don’t stick. Here I am lifting a hot cookie off the sheet. (Yes, it was hot; and yes, it hurt! Ah, the sacrifices we make…)

Notice there’s absolutely nothing stuck to the cookie sheet – no melted chocolate, no crumbs. Not only do the cookies come off the sheet intact; a few swipes with a dish towel, and the pan’s ready to go back into the cupboard. Wash it if you must, but it’s really effort-free, as far as cleaning goes.

Bottom line: if you’re in the market for a new cookie sheet – just in time for the avalanche of holiday cookies you’re about to bake – this one is slicker ’n a smelt, as they say in Maine. Both literally, and figuratively.

img_4997.JPG

Bake the cookies for 8 to 10 minutes.

img_4998.JPG

They’ll puff up, and spread a bit. Poke one to see what it feels like: it should give a bit, but it shouldn’t feel sticky or wet. These cookies are supposed to be soft, so don’t over-bake. If you have any question at all about your oven or baking times, bake just a couple of cookies first, to nail the time. Yeah, it takes a few minutes longer, but better that than over-baking a whole recipe of cookies, right?

img_5008.JPG

Here they are, ready to slide off the pan onto a cooling rack. Or let them cool right on the pan, if you don’t need the pan for your next batch. If you’re transferring them to a rack, wait about 5 minutes, as they’re fairly fragile right out of the oven.

Again, notice the pan – no crumbs, no stuck-on chocolate.

img_3416.JPG

And here are my four incarnations (clockwise, from top left): with Burgundy chunks; with chocolate-coffee chunks; with cappuccino chips, and with white chunks.

img_3419.JPG

Remember, I don’t like white chocolate; but even to me, this looks pretty darned tempting!

Read, rate, and review (please!) our recipe for Double-Shot Mocha Chunks.

comments

1. Carolyn

Really! Someone questioned the oven? The cookies in the oven looked so appealing, I never noticed the oven until it was mentioned in an earlier post so I went back and looked. Looks normal to me! Every time I read a recipe, I gain a pound. Baking in my dirty oven takes back the pound. I love your recipes, love your products, and am thankful for KAF!

1. Tracey

Those look decadent and fabulous! I will test the recipe asap and report back :) Thanks for the heads up about the new cookie sheet. It’s the time of year that I’m looking for ideas for my Christmas list and one of these just might sneak its way on there.

2. HMB

Argh! Wish I’d had this recipe this weekend! Had a chocolate craving and felt like cookies, not brownies. I don’t have a “go-to” chocolate cookie recipe, and the cookies I made were good but ugly. Can’t wait to try these — they look great!

3. Erie

That cookie sheet looks amazing. I have a ‘flat’ sheet from Vollrath that works preety good with parchment paper on it. I just use one sheet of paper for one batch of cookies. It is so easy to reuse. You mention prepared baking sheet in the recipe, do you spray the sheet or anything? As I can not find that in the instructions. The cookies look good to give to the kids as a special treat once in a while.

Hi Erie – yes, grease the sheet if you’re not using parchment, or a non-stick sheet (such as I used in the pictures). PJH

4. Anita

Can these be frozen before baking? That way I can have fresh baked when desired and I’m not “forced” to consume the entire batch quickly.

Thanks

Indeed, Anita, good thought. Just freeze them on the pan, then when frozen store in a plastic bag. Bake however many you want – right from the freezer, or thawed. Right from the freezer, they’ll probably take a minute or two longer. Enjoy – PJH

5. Rachel

Great looking cookies. And the coffee chunks sound good enough to eat out of hand. But my burning question is does the pan warp at high temps? My favorite pan has started to and the only reason I can think why is I have used it several times for drop biscuits that bake at 450. I am in the market for a couple more pans and am open to getting the USA pans instead of the more of the one I have now. Hearing a pan go boing in the oven is annoying.
    You’re right there’s nothing more annoying than a malfunctioning pan. Our pans are heavy duty and shouldn’t warp. Molly @ KAF

6. Marianna

OMGosh! Why did I check my email? Now I will be dreaming about this cookies when I should be working!! I feel compelled to place an order for some chocolate coffee chunks and I suppose it would only be right to also get some cappuccino chips so I too can do some testing of my own. :)

7. Sue

These cookies look scrumptious. They remind me of another KAF recipe but I can’t think of what they’re called.
    About those pans. They look really nice, but I have to wonder why the bottom of the cookie doesn’t sink down into those ridges? How do the cookies stay flat on the bottom? Your cookie doesn’t looked particularly corrugated on the bottom. What would a thin flat cookie look like baked on one of those pans?
    You can see in one of the pictures that there is a very faint corrugation but it’s a thick batter. A thinner or softer cookie would have more of the corrugation but not a huge amount. Molly @ KAF

8. linda

yes as mrs. hittle commented…you are killing me as well with your baking…unreal & exciting!
    today i received my latest kaf carton of goodies…i purchased the
    barry callebaut semisweet chocolate coffee chunks…& last time i got the burgundy chunks…so i am almost there!
    the cappucino chips are a killer & i must order…also the black cocoa…
    i just got my red “bake” cap so i am ready for the next round sister!!

seriously, thank you for all the wonderful baking recipes you are bringing to our homes!

9. Kim

WOW! Looks like I’ll be trying a new recipe sometime this week. Those look delightful. My daughter will be home from college this weekend & she’s chocoholic like me ~ poor girl. Oh but how I bet we’ll love these. Thanks

10. Tracy

do you coat those chocolate chips in flour or something?
    It looks like PJ tossed them a bit of flour to keep them from sinking. Molly @ KAF

11. Elizabeth

PJ, do you spray your scoop before dipping cookie dough?
    You don’t need to spray the scoop unless you have a really sticky batter. Molly @ KAF

12. Laura Bushnell

Are the coffee-chocolate chunks more like coffee flavored chocolate or chocolate flavored coffee?
    They’re more like coffee flavored chocolate. Molly @ KAF

1. Ann Marshall

Yikes! Yes, that oven is truly disgusting! I’d hate to think that’s the cleanliness norm at KAF.

Ann, that shot is from 4 years ago, an old oven about to be replaced that we’d just let go to seed… but you’re right, the floor was pretty charcoal-y! PJH

13. sharon g

I hope these are included in the cookie swap class in December??? If not i will be sure to stock up to make these for my husbands cookie tray at work!!!
    Who knows what delicious cookies you’ll be making at the cookie swap class but I’m not sure you should wait all the way ’til then to make these fabulous cookies! Molly @ KAF

14. Kyle Minor

PJ… these cookies look amazing, as usual. I just ordered myself some Black Cocoa from KAF (for World Peace Cookies!), and am wondering about it. Specifically:
    1) Do you generally need to add it with other, less alkaline cocoa, or is it OK on it’s own?
    2) When subbing Black Cocoa for a non-Dutched kind, do you have to add extra acid somehow to compensate?

My apologies if you’ve already written/blogged about this. Thanks in advance!
    HI Kyle,
    We suggest using the Black cocoa in conjunction with another dutched cocoa, it’s pretty potent to use on it’s own and can be a bit overpowering alone. Black cocoa is a dutched cocoa, so you do need to adjust if substituting for natural cocoa. For every 3 tablespoons of natural cocoa, use 3 tablespoons of dutched cocoa, and add 1/8 teaspoon of an acidic ingredient such as lemon juice, vinegar or cream of tartar. ~ MaryJane

15. phyllis

Hi Molly,
    These cookies sound amazing! I want to make them in a couple of days for a get togther but I do not have chocolate chunks. Can they be made with either a 60% cacao bittersweet chocolate baking bar or a regular dark chocolate candy bar?
    You can certainly try different kinds of chocolate in these cookies. Just keep the chunks fairly even in size for even baking. ~ MaryJane

16. Lish

I just received my coffee chocolate chunks from my last order and was wondering what I would do with them first, and lo and behold chocolate heaven! I know what the kids and I will be making tomorrow. However if they eat as many as I know they will, I think they may have some trouble sleeping with all that chocolate and coffee! I am so excited to try these.

I also have a question about freezing cookie dough. Several of the recipes I will be making for the holidays are rolled in granulated or sparkling sugar before baking. If I want to freeze the unbaked dough would I roll in the toppings before baking? If not do I need to thaw the dough, roll and then bake? I was hoping to have a bunch of raw cookie balls waiting in the freezer for Christmas baking. Thank you for always answering any questions, it makes hectic holiday baking much more enjoyable!
    Hi Lish,
    Because of the moisture in the cookie dough, if you roll in sugar before freezing, most of the sugar will be absorbed during freezing and not much will be left for baking. We’d suggest rolling after freezing. You don’t need to thaw the dough much, just enough to have a moist outer layer for the sugar to stick to. Best, ~ MaryJane

17. Karen

I am responding to what Tom says about cleaning the oven before the photo shoot. I beg to differ. I noticed the oven and it looks like mine. I felt comforted by the fact that this oven indeed gets used a lot like mine. It looks like a lot of love comes out of that oven! Thanks for being real. Not to mention the decadent cookies you made. Thanks for sharing the recipes and your well used oven.

18. mary

I think I’ll be placing an order today for those chocolate coffee chunks! That cookie sheet looks like a must-have also.
    I appreciate the beauty of a kitchen that looks like it’s being used to make wonderful things for our families, dirty oven and all. That’s what KA is all about.

19. Paula

Well, I just finished baking these cookies……Let me say…..They are Super Easy, quick baking, and DELICIOUS!!!! I’ll be making these again, and again……

20. Marianna

The cookie angels must be smiling on me because the order I placed yesterday for my various chips are out for delivery today! Am I too old to feel this giddy about cookies? Nah! I know what I will be doing this evening. :) Oh btw, I totally agree with Karen-that oven with it’s bits and pieces is authentic and exudes the love of the bakers who use it!

21. Carolyn

Saved…….again!! Was about to comb through my cookie file to find something to take to my chiropracter tomorrow. I don’t have the chocolate-coffee chunks (yet!!) but I do have capuccino chips plus a new bag of dark cocoa so I’m good to go with this one. Thank you! Thank you! Since my good doctor views chocolate equivalent to Valentine’s Day I see another batch for her in February.

22. tonia

I have to say I didn’t even notice the “dirty” oven just the fabulous chocolate cookies. It’s my day off today and I will be making these: can’t wait to eat!!!!

23. Maggie

Had to make these cookies as soon as I saw them . . . and they delivered big-time on their chocolaty promise! Mine didn’t spread as much as those pictured here – tended to keep their round shape more. Could that be because of the altitude here in Denver? Or the dark heavy cookie sheets I used?
    I will make these often in my dirty oven. I will say that I didn’t notice any dirt in your oven and had to look at it a couple of times, but or course I would always rather bake than clean my oven! And anyway what cook worth her/his salt would have a pristine oven??

Maggie – If you did not use parchment paper, be sure to grease your pans. Measuring your ingredients correctly is most important too. I prefer a scale for precision. The principle adjustments recommended for cookies baked at higher altitudes (generally considered to be above 3,000 feet) are to increase the water slightly, to help the dough come together, and to decrease the amount of chemical leavens (baking powder, baking soda) used. Bake at slightly higher temperature, with a shortened baking time. Elisabeth @ KAF

24. Gert

I baked these cookies but wondered if I did something wrong as they didn’t flatten out at all. Are they suppose to spread at all? I put in walnuts, chocolate chips and raisins. Would that make a difference? The flavor is great but they are a bit hard!

Gert – You probably did nothing wrong. Loaded up cookies with add-ins tend to spread less. If you used shortening for the butter, they would not spread as much and be a bit crunchier. Elisabeth @ KAF

25. carmel

loved these! made with choco chips, dried cranberries, and walnut pieces just to mix it up a bit. LOVE THEM! am planning to make these to take to the family Thanksgiving.

Thanks, KAF bloggers!!!

26. Allison

I wanted chocolate cookies with Andes mints last night, so I started with this recipe but omitted the espresso powder and used broken-up Andes mints in combination with bittersweet chocolate chips. YUM!

27. Marianna

I made my cookies with bittersweet chips and the chocolate espresso chunks and espresso powder. WOW! YUM! Chocolate Cookie Bliss! I could make a lot of friends with these. ;) I think this cookie would go very nicely with some vanilla or coffee ice cream. I like the idea of adding dried cranberries and nuts, too. Oh the thinks we can think with this kind of inspiration!

28. Amy

… the cookies are awesome!!! THANKS!!!

and, if that’s what you call a dirty oven, you’re going to have to come up with a different term to describes the insides of mine, for “dirty” just wouldn’t do it justice! ;) LOL!

BTW, that’s not “dirt” in the oven – it’s VERY well done bread. Incinerated, I guess. I had a loaf of pain de mie ooooooze out of the pan awhile ago, and never… quite… cleaned it all up. Sigh…. you caught me. :) PJH

29. MB

Oh my goodness, these are the most intensely chocolate goodies I have ever had! Loved the excellent instructions and photos. The coffee flavor is noticeable, but not too strong. I whipped these up in minutes. The bake time was spot on, they were very moist. Thanks for the wonderful recipe!

30. Lish

These were the best cookies I ever made. My husband, the non dessert eater, could not get enough of these cookies. They were fantastic. I love the coffee chocolate chunks and the cappuccino chips. So great with a glass of milk. My cookies did not spread much either, most of the time my cookies don’t. The only recipe I have that does spread nicely is an eggnog snickerdoodle. All my other cookies stay pretty puffy and rounded. I have never been able to figure out why. I actually made several batches of different cookie doughs and froze the unbaked dough balls. I wrote a label on the outside of each container with baking instructions and the type of cookie dough inside to make holiday baking easier and more organized. This weekend will be pie dough in preparation for Thanksgiving! Thanks for all the great tips about freezing cookie dough, it has been invaluable!

31. Brilliant K

Oh my, I love brownies in cookie form. I’ve found during the holidays family members are always more willing to have “just one cookie, maybe two” rather than a daunting slice of cake or pie. I need to get myself that cookie sheet (or two), and chocolate-coffee chunks, and white chocolate chunks…. too much good stuff! Kimberly

32. Christine Kuret

I love the idea of this new cookie sheet HOWEVER I live in a house with a small builder’s grade oven and a large cookie sheet is too big. Do these cookie sheets come in smaller sizes? The cookies look delicious by the way.

Sure do, Christine – a REALLY cute 10″ x 14″ small size, and a 14″ x 14″ medium. Check ‘em out – PJH

33. Rebecca

I made these last night, and they were great! They didn’t spread much though. Wonder why that is.

They’re actually not supposed to spread much. They’re supposed to be tall-, thick, brownie-like cookies. They probably came out just the way they’re supposed to- so ya done good! PJH

34. Soupaddict Karen

Oh my g’uhness. I have the burgundy chips on order, but I don’t think I can wait for them. Must … hold … back … must … hold … back. [Pfft, who am I kidding?] Thanks for talking about the baking sheet, too. I’ve been looking for a second pan. I have a Doughmakers, which I really like, but I’m always on the hunt for the next best, non-warpy, non-cookie-bottom-burning thing. (I’m difficult that way.)

You’re not difficult, Karen – it’s called high standards. And why not? Why spend money on junk that;ll get thrown away when you can buy a pan that’ll last for years, right? Go for it- enjoy. PJH

35. Marisa

Oh my goodness. Drrooollll….I just started digging around my pantry after reading and looking at the pics of those cookies. Wish I had seen this before placing my order as those chocolate-coffee chunks sound amazing. I admit…the pan also has me intrigued.

36. marie o'neil

Ah, but you weren’t doing a photo shoot!! You were baking cookies and taking pictures!
    And a fine job you did of BOTH. Thanks.
    it’s a pleasure to spend time with you in MY kitchen too.

Thanks, Marie – the pleasure is ours! PJH

37. SoupAddict Karen

Okay, I just made these about an hour ago … so, so good. I loved the texture. These were better than any double chocolate-chocolate chip cookie that I’ve ever had. I’d give it two thumbs up, but one hand is typing, and the other is holding a cookie….

:) PJ

38. Dawn

If I wanted softer, gooier cookies that are more like chocolate chips, do I increase the butter? The dough seems a bit dry.

I’d say bake them for a shorter time, Dawn – see if that does the trick. You could also simply make brownies and cut them into circles with a cookie cutter or biscuit cutter… PJH

39. Jenn

This blog/website is going to be the downfall of my already rounded waistline! I can’t wait to try these! I have the cranberry cake from another blog in the oven as I type! So many recipes, so little time. :-)

40. Chrystine

Those cookies look fabulous. I’ve been trying to phase out teflon skillets because they seem to scratch and I’m concerned about eating the bits that flake off. Does this cookie sheet have a coating like that?

No, no Teflon coating – it’s called Americoat, and it’s a proprietary coating created for the professional baking industry – built to last, in other words. I think you’ll like it – we sure do. PJH

41. Cheryl

I finally got around to making these cookies this weekend. They are chocolate and coffee heaven!

And so easy, too. What did I say? Fast, easy… and CHOCOLATE. Thanks for checking in, Cheryl – PJH

42. Sylvia

My daughter loves recipes like this and I’m compiling a book for her. The pictures of these look UNREAL! I don’t think they could taste any better than they look, but if they do we are in for a real treat!
    -Sylvia
    Padrons

43. Florence

OMG! I followed the recipe to a T and out came the most amazing cookies in the world. My entire batch was eaten in 1h – that is from 7am to 8am!
    Worlds best cookies.
    Best was, everyone was awake for the rest of the day. I even got people on a diat to eat one or two!!

Holy mackerel – that’s some breakfast! Breakfast of chocolate champions? :) PJH

44. cynthia20932

Time to put in another order. Gotta have the Callebaut chocolate coffee chips and the USA cookie pan now. These cookies look fabulous. Thanks for the tempting and informative article!

You’re welcome, Cynthia. Enjoy! PJH

45. Donna

Are there any “rules” for when to use light/dark brown sugar when baking? Which is best for this recipe? These cookies look awesome!

1. MaryJane Robbins

Light brown sugar is the standard, and dark brown is typically used for deep, dark, molasses/caramel rich flavor. You see it more in pies and breads than cookies and cakes. ~ MJ

46. Beverly Stapley

Double- Shot Mocha Chunk Chocolate cookie recipe, I made these yesterday..OMG! Talk about chocolatey goodness! Almost like a brownie texture. I put expresso powder in mine, along with semi sweet chocolate morsels, plus I added a half cup of Cappucinno Chips in with the choc morsels.
    Today I decided to get my fix by making an ice cream sandwich out of two cookies into which I sandwiched vanilla ice cream in between the cookies…..OH MY GOODNESS!
    These will be my go to cookie recipe when I really am looking for decadent chocolate flavor!
    Thank you again K.A.F. You never disappoint!

Beverly, I’ve made these twice lately – sent one batch to my Mom, as she’s such a fan. And the ice cream sandwich idea is pure inspiration! Thanks for sharing – PJH

47. Toni

These cookies look awesome! You made these with Burgundy chunks; with chocolate-coffee chunks; with cappuccino chips, and with white chunks. How did they all taste — well, we know how much you don’t like white chocolate chips but how did the burgundy chunks & chocolate coffee chunks turn out?

The chocolate coffee chunks are out of stock right now but I added them to my wish list! I’ll purchase them as soon as you have them in stock. I can’t wait!