Can you beat this whole-grain bread? You bet: it’s no-knead.

Crusty.

Chewy.

Whole-grainy.

If you’re a fan of these three yeast-bread characteristics, you’re going to LOVE this loaf!

Malted wheat flakes (wheat berries slow-baked to bring out their sugars, then sliced and flattened) are a key ingredient. They add nubbly texture and a subtle touch of caramelized sweetness to the bread.

Can you substitute traditional rolled oats? Sure; but you’ll lose that distinctive flavor and texture, as oats will simply blend right into the loaf, rather than add the very slight crunch characteristic of malted wheat flakes.

My suggestion? Spring for the malted wheat flakes.

What makes whole-grain breads rise, and gives them delightfully chewy texture? That would be our highest-protein flour: Sir Lancelot, checking in at 14.2% protein (compared to our bread flour, at 12.7%; and our all-purpose flour, at 11.7%).

In this particular loaf, which includes a significant amount of whole grains, a tablespoon of vital wheat gluten enhances the rise even more – especially if you substitute all-purpose flour for Lancelot.

Malted wheat flakes are a classic British ingredient, key in their Granary Bread. Crunchier and darker than rolled oats, and slightly sweet, they can be used in place of oats in many recipes.

Finally, for you whole-grain aficionados, our new 9-Grain Flour Blend – high-protein wheat flour, plus Sustagrain® barley, rye, oats, amaranth, quinoa, millet, sorghum, and teff, all milled to a baking-friendly, fine-flour consistency – is a great way to add fiber to your bread.

OK, let’s get started.

Put the following in a bowl:

3 cups (12 3/4 ounces) Sir Lancelot Unbleached Hi-Gluten Flour or King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
2 cups (8 1/4 ounces) 9-Grain Flour Blend
1 cup (4 ounces) malted wheat flakes
1 tablespoon vital wheat gluten
2 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon instant yeast
2 1/4 cups cool water

Stir, then use your hands (or a stand mixer) to mix up a sticky dough.

Continue to work the dough enough to incorporate all the flour, or beat for several minutes in a stand mixer.

Scrape the sticky dough into the center of the bowl; pick it up (a dough scraper is a big help), spray the bowl with non-stick vegetable oil spray, and lay the dough back in the bowl. If you need your mixing bowl for other things, put the dough in a lightly greased container.

Cover the bowl, and let the dough rest at room temperature for about 8 to 16 hours; overnight is fine.

It’ll become bubbly and rise quite a bit, before falling back; so be sure your bowl is large enough.

Look at that gluten at work – it’s a beautiful thing! You never kneaded this dough, but the long, slow rise allowed the gluten to develop on its own.

Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface.

To make a single loaf, choose a 14″ to 15″ long covered baker; a 9″ x 12″ oval deep casserole dish with cover; or a 9″ to 10″ round bread baking crock. Spray your chosen pan with non-stick vegetable oil spray; Everbake is our favorite.

To make two loaves, lightly grease (or line with parchment) a large baking sheet.

Shape the dough to fit the pan.

For two loaves, divide dough in half, shape each into an oval loaf, and place on the prepared baking sheet.

Nestle the dough into the pan, patting it into the corners.

Cover and let rise at room temperature for about 1 hour.

The dough will become puffy, and will fill the pan about 3/4 full.

If baking in a lidded crock or pan that directs you to place the pan in a cold oven, place the pan in the oven, set the oven temperature to 450°F, and bake the bread for 45 to 50 minutes.

Remove the lid and continue to bake for another 5 to 15 minutes, until the bread is deep brown, and an instant-read thermometer inserted into the center registers about 205°F.

To bake in a pan that doesn’t require starting in a cold oven, preheat the oven to 450°F, and bake for about 45 to 50 minutes, removing the lid of the pan after 30 minutes.

For two loaves on a baking sheet, bake in a preheated 450°F oven for 35 to 40 minutes, until bread is a deep, golden brown, and the center registers about 205°F.

The finished loaf will be a deep, golden brown. This loaf decided to shred on its own, meaning I probably should have slashed it before putting it into the oven. Live and learn. No problem; looks don’t affect taste.

See the crust’s soft sheen? That’s from baking the bread in a covered baker. Moisture from the loaf’s interior migrates out and is captured in the baker, where it becomes steam. And steam reacts with the starch in flour to create shine.

It’s hard, but please wait till it’s cooled to slice; slicing hot bread tends to make it gummy. Patience is a virtue!

Read, rate, and review (please) our recipe for Malted Wheat Flake Bread.

comments

1. Wei-Wei

Oh, so healthy, and so easy too! I can’t believe that it doesn’t require kneading – but if the dough stuck to the sides of the rising bowl, how do you get it out smoothly?

We use a plastic bowl scraper to clean the dough out of the bowl. It’s fast and easy! kelsey@KAF

2. brightbakes

as much as I enjoy playing with preferments, sourdoughs, and complex yeast breads…I’m always eager to add some ‘good’n'easy’ breads to my files, also. Thanks for the constant inspiration. King Arthur Flour is truly an amazing company.
    Love,
    Cathy B. @ brightbakes
    P.S. Just made your recipe for “multi-grain sourdough sandwich bread” last night. It turned out so yummy and gorgeous :)

3. Ricardo Neves Gonzalez FMP-FASE - Petrópolis, R.J.- BRAZIL

It´s a kind of bread that i bake here everyday, based on Jim Lahey´s recipe. I have a video of my flaxseed whole wheat no-knead bread. You could check here:

This is a video was taken from an environment and daily problems program named GLOBO REPÓRTER of local network brazilian TV, Globo.
    The only modifications to your version is the use of superb KAF´S FLOURS. I could say it might do all the difference.
    I love the chewy crumb and crusty top of it´s delicious bread. I eat this bread daily. I used to add quinua flour, mixed with rolled oats, but when you use Quinua flour you must use it with parcimony, just a tablespoon to each kg. of regular flours.
    I Love this bread and recomend to all of those who needs an easily healthy loaf.

4. kb_mw

This looks great, I have always wondered about “granary” bread (my husband is British) and will have to get some of the malted wheat flakes to try. I will try this recipe, as well as the granary bread that I found on the web site. Also I love using my covered baker (I love the cold oven start, so much less stressful that all that mess throwing messy dough into a hot dutch oven) so please keep those recipes coming!

5. lishy

I love the malted wheat flakes and 9 grain flour! They are fabulous, and I am going to go start this dough right now! Thanks for combining some of my favorite ingredients into one loaf.

6. Lyna

Have you any experience with cast iron loaf pans? I have a pair from the Lodge Co. (www.lodgemfg.com…beware impulsing in the company outlet store!) that measure 8 1/2″ h by 4 1/2″ w by 2 3/4″ deep and weigh at least 4 1/2 lbs each. It has only recently gotten cool enough to seriously consider using the oven again (yea for my Zo!), so far I’ve baked 2 loaves in them. The information/hints from Lodge was very skimpy, how do you think they would best be used? I’m thinking the cold start like in the crock above, maybe one turned upside down over the other as a lid? Suggestions, anyone? Thanks!

I just love my Lodge Co. skillets. I have 3 different sizes at home. I have baked corn bread in my 10″ skillet while preheating the pan in the oven while getting the batter together. Your idea of using one as a lid may just be the answer. It is worth trying! Elisabeth

7. milkwithknives

Oh my GOSH, I live and die for whole grain breads with crunchy seeds in them. But dang, I just got a big order from KAF. If I toast some old fashioned oats in a skillet and get them nice and crunchy, do you think that might simulate the malted wheat flakes fairly well? I’m putting them on my wish list right now, but I can’t wait to make this beautiful loaf.
    Well, the process is a bit more involved than that, I am afraid. You forgot about the malted part! Put it at the top of your wish list! Elisabeth

8. lishy

How would this work in the pain de mie pan? Is that an adequate cover or would it overflow? I love having those nice square sides for making french toast casseroles and grilled cheese sandwiches for the kids.

It looks like the right amount of dough for the pan; I’m thinking it would work in the 13″ pain de mie though, never having tried it, no guarantees… Doesn’t hurt to try, right? Don’t let it rise closer than 3/4″ to the top of the pan before baking. Good luck – PJH

9. zanychar

Thanks PJ for another delicious looking whole grain recipe. I love the idea of the covered baker and the shiny crust. I think I’ll try my ceramic covered casserole dish and see if I get the same effect. I’ll definitely be ordering the malted wheat flakes–malt, wheat, crunchy–yum!

10. CV

In original email on this recipe comment was made to bake in a preheated enameled pan. Preheat the pan the same time as you preheat the oven? Would an enameled cast iron pan be preferable to a casserole? And then how do you transfer the bread to the pan without deflating? Recipe sounds great and am anxious to trial it.

I suppose you could preheat the pan, then GENTLY drop the loaf into it? The hot pan would immediately “poof” it up, despite its desire to deflate. I’d think enameled cast iron or a casserole you’re sure is absolutely heatproof would both be just fine. PJH

11. CV

Which would be preferable, a covered ceramic casserole, or an enameled cast iron roaster? Which should you preheat and which should you start in a cold oven? And if you preheat, how do you transfer the loaf to prevent deflatting?

Mine is all mixed and ready to be baked!

Either is fine. Start the ceramic casserole in a cold oven if it can’t take a sudden change in temperature – that info. would be in the info. you received with the pan when you purchased it. And you let the bread rise right in the pan; no need to transfer a risen loaf. Good luck – PJH

12. carnivalday

13. aattura

Can somebody please please tell me why any time I make yeast bread, no matter how thoroughly I follow directions about letting it rise, etc, I always get really bloaty after I eat the finished product. Why? What am I doing wrong?

You could have gluten intolerance or some other food allergy – best to speak to your doctor about this. PJH

14. lynneweso

Guys — thanks for another great looking recipe! I also have a questions about bakers, however.

I buy much of my housewares from T.J. Maxx, etc. I have looked at covered bakers and casseroles, but many times there isn’t any temperature info. I’m hesitant about trying the high temp baking.

How do I know if a baker is an option for covered bread baking? Is there a way to figure it out? Thanks for your help.

Lynne

This is not something you want to be taking a guess about. A baking vessel shattered in the oven or worse on the counter top (thermal shock) is no fun. There is no way to just “look” at a piece to know it’s tolerances. Start with the folks in the department. Ask for any manufacturer contact info they have. Next, check the packaging, call any 800 number listed for info. Lastly, look for a makers mark, do a web search for contact info. Frank @ KAF.

15. Knadlessly Simple vs Artisan bread in 5 min

You bread picture looks fabulous!

Hope it is OK that I use this meduim to ask you this question bcuz I have not had any success with the other review/comments boards.

I am very new to the wonderful word of bread making and I am actively looking for a good book that will give great instructions for almost foolproof recipes. However, in reading many of the reviews on the “new” trend called No Kneading or Almost no Kneading, one of the comment that often pops up is the lack of/little taste these no knead breads generate. I would like to find a book that would have great bread recipes/instructions BUT whose breads also taste GOOD. I came across the Artisan bread in 5 min and the other one KAF also features by Nancy Bagget Kneadlessly Simple. I am very tempted to buy this latter one – Bagget’s book. Can someone tell me what is the difference between the two (as they appear to be very, very similar) and whether Bagget’s breads are more flavorful. In the end, I do want to make bread in a simple way, but I would not want to forego taste just for the heck of “easiness”. Much appreciate your feedback.

PS – your bread does look flavorful though!

Both 5 Minute and Nancy’s book give excellent advice on no knead baking. I think either one would be a great intro. Frank @ KAF.

16. sbdombro

My second loaf of this great bread has just gone into the oven – I really loved the first effort (also a first try for my new lidded baker). I wonder if I could increase the proportion of whole grain flour (white whole wheat, perhaps) without drastically changing the outcome? I loved the texture of the finished product per the recipe, but always am looking for ways to increase the whole grain.
    When you change a recipe, do so in small steps – once ingredient at a time. In this case increase whole grain by 25% of the all purpose amount. Be aware this may change the amount of liquid needed in the recipe as whole grains absorb more liquid than all purpose flour. Irene @ KAF

17. sbdombro

Has anyone made this using a higher proportion of whole grain flour – either the 9 grain or perhaps KA white whole wheat? I love the bread, find it easy to do successfully, but would like a higher whole grain content.
    We haven’t tried it, but GO for IT! Make small changes at a time and you’ll have your personal bread recipe in no time. ~ MaryJane

18. sbdombro

Thanks, Irene. As this recipe uses high-gluten rather than all purpose as the “base” flour, do you think white whole wheat would be the right flour to start adding in or would something else likely work better?
    White whole wheat flour does have a high gluten content too, so yes, it’s fine to use in the recipe.
    ~ MaryJane

19. ebenezer94

I finally decided to spring for the malted wheat flakes for this recipe and at least one in the whole grain baking book (very best cookbook ever!) and was so sad to find they were out of stock with no estimated return date. :(

Sorry to disappoint. We’re not sure when it’ll be back, but we hope you’ll check for it again next time you visit our website. Irene @ KAF

20. carnivalday

Could somebody comment on my Oct. 19 question please?

Sorry this got missed!
    “How would this bread work better, if I put this in 2 regular bread pans and covered them, or just made 2 loaves on a cookie sheet with parchment paper? Just got my order of “stuff” from KAF, and I cant wait to make this.”

Depends on your definition of “better,” I guess. Bread in pans won’t be as crusty, but it’ll be more of a sliceable sandwich shape. Bread on a baking sheet will be crustier all around, but may flatten into an oval. The flavor won’t be affected either way. Hope this helps – PJH

21. yourstrulyewalani

Oh my not only does this bread sound perfect I love that pan you baked the bread in! I will have to save my pennies and find one or three! I bake bread DAILY and these would be perfect for a longer slender loaf!

I love wheat breads with texture. I MUST try this one! If I can find all the ingredients…

22. mycoach99

Hi… loving this bread already.
    Do tell me, I am far away from owning the crocks you have shown (they are awesome)… meanwhile I am baking in a regular loaf tin. Should I cover them with foil while baking so that I get the same golden awesome look that your breads have above? Will be great if I can get a reply soon.

Covering the pan doesn’t yield a golden crust; in fact, we advise you uncover the pan at the end, to attain that crust. Just bake the bread without any lid or foil – what you’ll lack is steam, which adds a bit of chewiness to the crust, but your bread will be fine. PJH

23. "Mary from Michigan"

I just made this bread and it smells great. I have a question though as this is my first time with no-knead bread. I used a 4 1/2 Qt Le Creuset dutch oven so it is in the 9-10 inch range. I let my dough go overnight about 14 hours before putting into the pan (it had fallen which I assume is OK). I did the 1 hour rise in the greased dutch oven and then put in preheated 450 oven. The bread has a very nice crust but it expanded out during the 1 hour rise to fill the bottom of the pan and thus is not very tall after baking. Is this normal? If so, to make my bread taller would it be OK to make a tin foil “tube ring” around bottom of dutch oven so dough does not spread out when rising? I would like the bread to be taller if possible. So not sure if this is normal or not since my first time.

Congratulations on tackling this new method of baking bread, Mary – I hope you continue to see improvement with each loaf! For a higher rise, best bet would be to use a smaller-diameter pan or Dutch oven, Mary. I’m thinking a tin-foil ring wouldn’t be much of a barrier to rising dough, which is pretty strong…Do you have a tube pan, perhaps? PJH

24. SherrySea

While living in Britain I acquired an abiding love for granary bread. So I whipped this bread up as soon as I found the recipe, substituting an equal amount of wheat germ and whole wheat flour for the nine-grain mix (I had the malted wheat flakes from KAF, but no mix). I used my Lodge dutch oven for the baking. The result was decidedly wonderful, but still not quite there. The crumb was too chewy, almost gummy. I baked the bread to an internal 204 degrees; should I have baked it for longer? Should I try reducing the water next time? I also suspect that the granary breads in Britain have nothing “whole” but the flakes. What amount (by weight), should I sub white flour for the whole grain mix? One last point: some have commented that the bread doesn’t have quite the flavor punch they were hoping for. I think this style of baking uses less salt than most of us were used to. The answer is easy and to my mind preferable: use a salted butter or good quality finishing salt just before you eat a slice. The tiniest addition of salt at the point of eating will cause the other flavors to “pop”.
    Your dough may have been under-proofed or too wet. Using white flour in place of the nine grain blend will significantly alter the flavor and texture of the loaf, but if you are going to make a replacement, I would use equal amount. ~Amy

25. jjwolf17100

The first time I made this, I used the Sir L. flour, and it came out well, chewy as advertised. Last week, seeing that the recipe also mentioned using the KA APF, I decided to try that instead. I bulk fermented 16:45, shaped it into a boule, and put it into my dutch oven for proofing. After an hour, the dough hadn’t held its shape but had spread out to the sides of the pot. A poke test suggested it wasn’t ready, so I let it go another 45 minutes and then baked it (cover on, then off). There was no oven spring, and the bread was rather dense and not very good (texture, not flavor).

Is the culprit likely to be the APF? Should I have used additional vital wheat gluten to make up for the less-strong flour? Or did I over-proof? I’ll try it again, but I’d appreciate a suggestion. Thanks.