Golden memories: Sunshine Raisin Biscuits make a comeback

Remember Golden Raisin Biscuits?

If so, join the crowd. It’s amazing how many people are STILL searching for this packaged cookie, denizen of your local supermarket’s cookie aisle for decades.

That is, until the Sunshine Biscuit company was acquired by Keebler in 1996 (and Keebler subsequently by Kellogg’s). Though Sunshine’s Vienna Fingers survived the transition, Golden Raisin Biscuits were unceremoniously dropped.

As were Hydrox – which, despite their reputation as an Oreo knockoff, actually preceded America’s Favorite Cookie by four years: Hydrox were introduced in 1908, Oreos not until 1912.

Oreos survive. Hydrox graced the shopping carts of its last fans in 1998, though to this day its proponents claim the Oreo just can’t compare to Hydrox in its prime – to say nothing of its lame replacement, “Droxies.”

But I digress; back to Golden Raisin Biscuits.

Does this photo jog your memory? The modernized packaging and new flavors were a last-gasp effort to stave off extinction. Along with classic raisin, Sunshine extended the line to cranberry biscuits and apple biscuits, renaming the whole line “Golden Fruit.”

Alas, to no avail. Raisin Biscuits breathed their last in 1996.

Until now.

Attention, Sunshine Golden Raisin Biscuit fans: these are not an exact match. The original was filled with raisin paste, and was just vaguely sweet, more the very thinnest of raisin pies rather than a classic cookie.

And you can make them that way, if you like. Stew some raisins with a bit of water and a touch of sugar, make your favorite pie crust, spread a thin layer of filling between two equally thin layers of crust, and bake until barely golden and pliable, rather than crisp: that’s a classic raisin biscuit.

These Golden Raisin Cookies are a more robust version. Filled with currants (or chopped raisins), topped with crunchy coarse sugar, and baked until crisp, they’re more nostalgic evocation than clone.

And a very good reminder of why the online hue and cry over Sunshine Golden Raisin Biscuits has yet to abate, a full 15 years after their untimely demise.

Let’s make Golden Raisin Biscuit Cookies.

First, lightly grease a couple of baking sheets, or line them with parchment.

Whisk together the followoing in a mixing bowl:

1 cup King Arthur White Whole Wheat Flour or Unbleached All-Purpose Flour*
2 tablespoons confectioners’ sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt

*If you use white whole wheat flour, for best flavor substitute 1 tablespoon orange juice for 1 tablespoon of the ice water (when you get to that step, below).

Add 6 tablespoons cold butter, cut into pats or small chunks.

Work the butter into the dry ingredients using your fingers, a mixer, or a fork,  mixing until the dough is unevenly crumbly.

Next, add 3 to 4 tablespoons ice water, enough to make the dough cohesive. Here’s where you may choose to substitute 1 tablespoon OJ if you’re using whole wheat flour.

Mix until the dough comes together.

Grab a handful; if it holds together willingly and doesn’t seem at all dry or crumbly, you’ve added enough liquid. You should be able to pick it up easily, without any dry chunks remaining in the bowl.

Divide the dough in half, and place on a lightly floured work surface.

A silicone rolling mat makes cleanup easy. Just sayin’.

Shape each half into a rough rectangle.

Press each of the four sides against your work surface to smooth any ragged edges.

Wrap the dough, and refrigerate it for 30 minutes. Towards the end of the refrigeration time, preheat the oven to 350°F.

Take one piece of the dough, and place it on a lightly floured work surface. Roll it into a rectangle that’s about 10″ x 14″, about 1/8″ thick. Don’t worry about ragged edges; life is imperfect.

Crack 1 large egg into a bowl, and whisk to combine the yolk and white.

Brush the surface of the dough lightly with some of the beaten egg.

Spread half the surface (one of the “long” halves — a swatch about 5″ x 14″) with 3/4 cup of currants or chopped raisins, pressing them in gently.

Fold the other half of the dough over the currants…

…and roll again, until you have a piece of dough about 6″ x 15″. Some of the currants may pop through; that’s OK.

While it’s definitely not traditional, I like to sprinkle the tops of these cookies with coarse white sparkling sugar. It adds crunch and sweetness.

Even if you’re not adding the sugar, brush the dough lightly with some of the beaten egg…

…then sprinkle with 1/4 cup of coarse sugar, if desired.

If you don’t have coarse sugar but still want the added flavor, use a couple of tablespoons of regular granulated sugar. The cookies won’t look as nice, but will taste fine.

Now, trim the ragged edges of the rectangle; these will be the “cook’s cookies,” the ones you spirit away and eat yourself because you don’t care what they look like.

Use a baker’s bench knife or a rolling pizza wheel, carefully cut the rectangle of dough into three strips, lengthwise. Then cut each lengthwise strip into five crosswise pieces; you’ll have a total of 15 rectangular cookies.

Note: Be very careful if you’ve rolled the dough on a silicone rolling mat; you don’t want to cut the mat when you cut the cookies.

Transfer the cookies to one of the prepared baking sheets, spacing them close together; they won’t expand much.

See those raggedy cookies on the bottom? Those are the trimmed edges. Perfectly tasty; they just won’t win any beauty contest.

Repeat the entire process with the remaining piece of dough.

Bake the cookies for 14 to 18 minutes, until they’re a light golden brown.

Remove them from the oven, and transfer them to a rack to cool. Or cool them right on the pan, if you don’t need the pan for the next batch.

And there you have it: Sunshine Golden Raisin Biscuits, in spirit if not in actuality.

Crisp/tender, buttery, and not as sweet as you might think. This is definitely a Boomer cookie: a veteran of the “swinging” ’50s and ’60s!

Read, bake, and review (please) our recipe for Golden Raisin Biscuit Cookies.

comments

1. bsteimle

Oh, PJ, now you have done it. I look at this blog all the time and put things on my “must make” list. But this – now this is a for sure MUST MAKE!! I used to buy the Sunshine raisin biscuits and hide them from the rest of the family! Ahhh, I can almost taste them now.
    Thanks for that memory, and what looks to be a very easy recipe!

1. JJ truth

I miss the sunshine raisin biscuits which were always good with a steaming, hot cup of tea. But thank you very much! This recipe is just in time for the holidays & I can do some experimenting with the flavor this recipes will be treasured by me Keep it coming you baking genius!

2. Anne

If you can believe it, I was just looking for them tonight & came home to “search” for them. I haven’t given up, would swear I had them just a few years ago. Tea and Sunshine Raisin Biscuits was my usual breakfast (made the OB think I was diabetic with my “elevated blood sugar” when I was pregnant with my 3rd. They didn’t tell me to fast before the appt). And yes, I hid in the pantry to eat them! Thanks for the recipe, can’t wait to have my chef (1st kid) try these.

Definitely a “gone but not forgotten” favorite for many of us, Anne. So glad we could help you find a new source – and definitely “assign” them to your chef! PJH

2. miller0814

YIPEEE!!!! Thank you so much for this recipe! My mom LOVED these! I’ve searched online for them many times hoping to surprise her with a pack but have never had any luck. I’m going to make these for her for Mother’s Day!! Thanks!!

3. margaret_roddy

Oh, PJ! I worship you!! These were my favorite “store-bought” childhood cookie (and actually the only one, other than fig newtons that my mom considered healthy enough to feed the kids) and I’ve been searching high and low for something that would fill their void. You have done it (again) and I’m so very grateful. And with the white whole wheat flour, even better! Thanks again!

4. cwcdesign

OK PJ,

Now you’ve done it! I was thinking about these when I was in the supermarket just the other day. When I was a kid, we called them “squished flies,” but we still ate and enjoyed them. I understand why I was able to find them briefly when my kids were little, but no more. I guess I’ll be baking this afternoon :-)

Carol

5. psitticus

Sunshine Raisin Biscuits live in my fondest memory. The closest I came to finding anything similar were raisin biscuits from Sweden in a duty free shop in Aruba Airport. I bought a dozen packages and they are long gone. I cannot wait to make and try these. Thank you so much for bringing back this wonderful childhood favorite!

6. clayandwattles

Oh, I loved these cookies, the only “store-bought” cookies my mother would allow in our school lunches. Not that she didn’t always provide delicious home-made cookies; she did. But somehow, store cookies always appealed, and these were looked forward to with greed.

I have made home-made fig newtons! And they were remarkably similar to the store variety, and very tasty (made them for my sisters wedding!) I look forward to giving this recipe a try!

7. photopiggy

Thanks for another great recipe, PJ! I have two questions for you. Do you think that I could substitute any dried fruit, like apples, cherries, or apricots? Also, is there an egg-free alternative that you can recommend for the egg-wash step? We’ve got an egg allergy in our house.

Yes, I think any dried fruit would be fine. And you could simply brush the cookies with water, or water with a bit of cornstarch- should work just fine. PJH

8. Rocky-cat

I’ll be the contrarian here. I HATED those cookies but my mom would buy them constantly. I remember exactly how they taste because I disliked them so. Oddly enough, I liked the biscuit part, it was just the raisin filling that I couldn’t stand. I wonder how your version would be with dried cranberries, maybe with some orange zest? That sounds so much more appealing to me.

9. calico

PJ, the Sunshine photo has definitely jogged my memory. As I sit here, I can close my eyes and see this package in the kitchen cabinet at my parents’ house. My mom and I both loved them! Usually on Fridays, we would enjoy them with a cup of tea while we watched Oprah. I remember that they also went very well with a glass of orange juice. Mmmm, good stuff. Though, I have to say that I know for certain that your version is going to seriously outshine Sunshine’s. I love the added touch of the sparkling sugar. And when I make this recipe, I’ll be using the white whole wheat and orange juice. I also really like the silicone rolling mat that you use in the step-by-step directions. I think I’m going to order that either tonight or tomorrow (before the sale ends). I have a small kitchen and the idea of being able to roll this mat up and store it in the cabinet is very appealing. Thank you, PJ, for everything that you do. I enjoy the blog and all the recipes so very much! Lois

Glad we could inspire some happy memories here, Lois – and yes, I love the silicone mat. Just be very, very careful cutting anything on it – you really can’t press down vigorously, you need to be gentle to avoid scoring it. Enjoy the biscuits! PJH

10. kaf-sub-xwickslady18

These cookies were one of my all-time favorites. They were the only cookie that my mother and I could eat that my brothers didn’t like. Not very sweet but oh so much flavor! If I remember correctly, it was with these cookies that my mom gave me my first adult cup of tea (more tea than milk!). I can almost close my eyes and taste them. Thank you so much for the memories -I’m going to check my cupboards and see if I have any currants on hand and bake these tonight.
    Joyce

11. MPASC

I cannot believe this!! My husband and I were just talking about Raisin Biscuits this past weekend! We loved them so much. I have no idea why they would have stopped selling that cookie. I am going to make these and have them ready when my husband gets home this weekend. I think the version that Rocky-Cat suggest with cranberries and orange zest would be good or versions with blueberries, raspberries, cherries etc…any fruit that would be dried (chewy but not too much liquid). I cannot wait to bake these. With any flavor…get the tea pot ready. Thanks so much.

I think any dried fruit would work just fine, so long as it’s chopped fine enough. Go for it! PJH

12. takefive34

Oh, P.J., how I loved, loved, loved those Golden Raisin Biscuits….and how very disappointed I was – hubby also!! – when they were nowhere to be found! Not having much of a sweet tooth, they and Fig Newtons were my favorite store-bought cookies. Will definitely have to give raisin/currant cookies a try as the beauty of homebaked treats means that the sweetness level is yours to command!!!

13. rachelk

cwc – you made me laugh. My grandmother used to have these hidden away in her cupboard, and they were ‘our’ treat. She always called them ‘fly crackers’ and told me they had smashed up flies in them. It was always a special joke between the two of us, and it was a bonus that other family members never cared for them much.

Thank you for sharing this recipe! I can’t wait to make it.

I actually have a recipe for these called “Squashed Fly Cookies” – guess that was a common joke, eh? :) PJH

14. skater

Rocky-cat I love your ideas! I adore anything with cranberries. Can’t wait to try both. I feel totally left out here; how did I survive childhood without these cookies?

15. Esther

In the UK, these are also known as “squashed fly biscuits” – so I think it’s a common name – we can still get them here (I presume they’re the same as a Golden Raisin biscuit) – In the UK, they’re a Garibaldi, they come in long flat packets, and you have to break off the biscuits as you go, as they’re baked in long stretches with the dividing lines scored on them… sometimes just “one” biscuit would “accidentally” turn out to be one VERY big biscuit!

I’m such a rule-follower, Esther – I never thought to eat them without breaking apart. ONE cookie takes on a whole new meaning – I like your style! :) PJH

16. Barb

Had to make this as soon as I saw your recipe! Used to buy them for my husband and never thought of making them..and then one day they disappeared from the grocery shelves. He says they are even better than store bought (wise man there).This is a great, quick and easy recipe to follow. Decided the raggedy edges were part of the homemade charm so didn’t need to trim much. Thanks for the recipe and the memories.

My pleasure, Barb- glad your husband liked them – he’s a wise man, indeed, to praise his wife’s baking! PJH

17. Ricardo Neves Gonzalez - FMP-FASE - Petrópolis, R.J. - BRAZIL

AMAZING!
    Can´t wait here to test the whole wheat varsion with granola and rolled oats.
    Nice post P.J.

Thanks, as always, Ricardo – hope you’re well. PJH

18. Maureen

Oh. My. Goodness. You have brought back a flood of childhood memories. I loved these and can’t wait to make your beautiful version. (Why didn’t I buy more currants at the grocery today?!)
    I’m also a big fan of the coarse white sugar, and everyone is always amazed by how good it is on cookies, pie or bread. You think of the greatest things, PJ! Thank you for unlocking the secrets of our lost favorites.

Food memories are just so compelling, aren’t they, Maureen? Like Proust and his madeleine, certain foods bring back that “flood of childhood memories…” PJH

19. "Linda S"

I remember the old Sunshine packaging was transparent, you could see the cookies through it. And the score lines weren’t straight–they were a bit wavy, as I recall. I think you could use a pastry wheel or something similar to cut them if you really want more authenticity.

I’ll have to give these a try…it’s always great when you do your own versions of our old favorites!

On that note….one long-gone favorite I’d love to see you try and remake: I used to LOVE the old Pillsbury Pineapple Creme Bundt cake mix. They stopped making it a few years back, and I’ve gone crazy trying to find a recipe that would be similar. That creme filling was SO yummy…but I can’t find a clone of it anywhere online, or at their own site. I don’t think it had cream cheese, it was more like a vanilla pudding-type.

I know I could try using a pudding mix, but I really want something that comes as close to the real thing as possible. If the folks at KAF want another challenge, this might be it!

Here’s another idea for you: maybe you could offer a once-a-month challenge where readers submit a request for a long-lost favorite or a popular snack (like you did with Twinkies), and you choose one to do. I’m sure there are so many old favorites that are available, so you’ll never be bored trying to bring back a little bit of yesterday!

I always look forward to the blogs no matter what, though, there’s always something great waiting in there!

Thanks for all your hard (I SAY hard, but you probably have TOO much fun) work!
    Hi Linda,
    Thanks for chiming in here. I like the idea of readers suggesting a challenge for us. We do have an ever growing list of recipes we’d love to try , or reader suggested recipes to create, so don’t ever hesitate to send us a request. I’ve never had the Pineapple Bundt cake, but it sounds delish! Just one more to add! ~ MaryJane

20. Big Red

Just a hint if you want to avoid the ragged edges, is to spread the raisins in the middle of the dough and then fold the dough into the middle, leaving a straight edge. Instead of covering the bottom half, leave a quarter on the edge and fill the middle.

Thanks – great tip! PJH

21. "J. J."

Oh bless you! I had a similar recipe and lost it! I’ve used all kinds of dried fruit as long is you can finely chop them up. Using the food processor made short work of the tedious chopping! My favorite combination was a mixture of orange cranberries, cherries and apricots. The only limit is your imagination for combining dried fruits. I can’t wait to try out this version!

22. Natalia Rivera

There’s a biscuit with a squished raisin filling available in Asian markets called Khong Guan Sultana Biscuits. I’ve never tried the Sunshine version, so sadly I can’t compare the two. Here’s a review and product label:

23. Lorraine

So many memories of my Dad are wrapped up in King Arthur and now this!!! I can’t TELL you how many times I’ve thought of these cookies and wished they were still around. My Dad bought these when we were kids and we LOVED them, always had some in the house. We didn’t eat a lot of sweets as kids but these were allowed. I’ve been wishing and looking for them ever sense as a reminder of my Dad who passed away almost 11 years ago. I will make these in his memory and eat them with much love. Thank you so much.

Good memories are priceless, aren’t they, Lorraine? Glad we could help bring them back for you – enjoy the cookies! PJH

24. Susan Taylor

I have to be Gluten Free, would I be able to make these with GF flour? My husband and I loved these! It would bring back wonderful memories before Celiac!
    Thanks for the memories!!
    Hi Susan,
    We haven’t tried these as gluten free, so if you decide to give it a go, please let us know the results. ~ MaryJane

25. craftylady32812

OMG!! Just the other day I was in the food store with my son and mentioned I wish they still had those raisin cookies I used to love as a kid. He gave me a strange look when I discribed them. Well, wait till I present him with these babies!! Thanks so very much for the memories and the great recipe. Can’t wait to bake them tonite. You guys are great!
    Ruth Howard, Orlando, FL

26. dariawalton

Kellogg’s obliterated so much packaged snack history with that acquisition. Sigh. Crown Pilot crackers have also disappeared (as of the past couple of years) – if you have a decent replacement recipe that would be nice, too.
    We’ll add the crackers to the wish list :) ~ MaryJane

27. tarragonmh

I remember these well. We couldn’t get them in Arizona, where I grew up, but we would have them when we went “back East” to visit family. They were one of those foods that for some mysterious reason were never to be found west of the Mississippi. Those, and pork roll. And Tasty Cakes. Now, if you could duplicate a Tandy Cake I just might think you’re a genius. :)

Tandy cakes, from what I can see, look pretty attainable: yellow cake baked thin in a jelly roll pan, spread with peanut butter, topped with melted chocolate that hardens up as it cools. Does this sound like what you’re looking for? PJH

28. Nicole

Being Canadian I never had the original but I’m intrigued. I’m also wondering just how they differ from eccle/eckle’s cakes (I know that’s a puff pastry [I think], as well as round).

Thanks for your thoughts.

Nicole, Eccles cakes are a lot thicker/goopier – at least the ones I’ve had. More a pastry than a cookie. These are very thin, and quite dry. While I’d eat Eccles Cakes with a fork, these can be eaten out of hand, as you would any cookie… PJH

29. Jess

I’m looking forward to trying these — and I would love it if Clayandwattles would post her/his recipe for fig newtons!

30. Teresa

I never had the Sunshine Golden Fruits, but they sound a lot like other similar biscuits that are made overseas called sultana biscuits. I find them in Asian supermarkets. They are lightly sweet with a very thin layer of raisin paste. Of course, you can’t beat homemade, if Asian supermarkets aren’t available. I love the texture and just sweet flavor.

31. lucyprice

I have had a wonderful idea after reading through the blog. I am going to make these with a combination of regular, golden and red raisins, chopped just enough to leave the colors a bit visible through the dough. Thank you so much for creating this recipe.

32. catieartist

I am not sure why, but my mom ever bought these, and I never knew them for my kids.
    Without those memories, I don’t feel the need to recreate the original. Although there are other things I would love to add to your “to do list” ;)
    I have been thinking of other creative fillings. However, since I am trying to bake without wheat, would these be viable using half barley flour, and half oat flour? or all barley? Should I add the xanthan gum, or equivalent for cohesiveness, but since they do not rise, it seems like these would work for a non-wheat treat.
    I was excited when I saw these, just because they seem workable to convert to non-wheat! Then I can create my own memory inducing treat!
    Thanks for your help, Catie

Catie, these would be a challenge to make GF using the original recipe. Try our GF pie crust recipe for the crust; I think you’d have better success. Good luck – PJH

33. lemitche

FYI-The Vermont Country store DOES sell and equivalent cookie.

Yes, I’ve had them, and they’re good – but with shipping, and the price, quite expensive, compared to homemade… Thanks for the tip, though- PJH

34. Shanna

I tried to make these yesterday and it was a disaster. My dough didn’t look anything like the pic after getting it mixed up. I used AP flour…maybe that contributed. But I only added 2 T of H20 and it still came out REALLY sticky. Don’t know what I messed up, but by the time I was done attempting to roll it out and putting in the raisins, I was laughing my head off at the mess I’d made. I ended up with about 8 or 9 misshaped lumps of raisins that were occasionally covered with dough. They sure didn’t resemble anything in these photos.

I’m getting ready for a bake sale this weekend, and I’d been in the kitchen all day. These were my last recipe of the day, so I had been dealing with issues off and on all day. Sometimes, you just gotta laugh! New recipes sometimes just don’t work out. I’ll try these again another time. They were misshapen lumps, but tasty!
    I am sorry for your troubles and for your mess. We’d be happy to talk through this recipe with you if you’d like to give us a call on the baker’s hotline: 802-649-3717. ~Amy

35. cartvl219

I’m planning to make these in a few days. I have currants but they have been around for a while and seem quite dry. Should I soak them to soften them up a bit or maybe steam them?
    I don’t know how long these cookies were on the market but I think I remember them from the late forties or fifties. I think my mother bought them occasionally and I bought them for my kids. Was thinking about them fairly recently but hadn’t searched the store shelves. Now I can make my own!! :-)
    Carolyn

Hi Carolyn, Unless those currants are as hard as gravel, there is no need to worry. But if they are that tough, lay them out on a dinner plate and spritz them with water from a spray bottle. You’ll only want to mist them. Then cover the plate tightly with a piece of plastic wrap allow them to rest overnight. By morning they’ll be much more tender. Frank @ KAF.

36. Marsha

Sunshine Golden Raisin Biscuits are not quite extinct, though they are on the endangered species list. You can still get them at any grocery store in England (and British Commonwealth nations) under the odd name of “Garibaldis.” But the airfare is a bit hard to justify just to indulge my cookie (biscuit) longing, no matter how much I love them. I also have a similar recipe from New Zealand for a cookie (much like this recipe)–people there call them “fly cemeteries” because the chopped raisins look like…well anyway, thanks, thanks KAF for the recipe. I have found other recipes online but this one is way better. Marsha

Amazing how many variations on the “fly” theme I’ve seen – including Squashed Fly Cookie, in our own Baking Sheet newsletter. And yes, Garibaldis are the real deal, and you can get them at Vermont Country Store – but again, the price is prohibitive – esp. when you can make your own reasonable facsimile! :) PJH

37. martrl

I just made these and they are wonderful. I too loved these and have looked for them in the past. What is the best method to keep them fresh as i want to take them to a party tomorrow and do not want us to eat them all before dinner. Another nostalgic favorite of mine was the tunnel of fudge cake with the macaroon filling. Maybe you can add this one to the list. Thanks for all the great recipes.
    These can either be kept in an air-tight container or wrapped in foil or plastic inside a cookie tin. Good luck resisting them before the party! ~Amy

1. Maralyn Woods

Oh my gosh! I had forgotten all about the Tunnel of Fudge cake. I would bake it in a bundt pan and when I would cut and plate the first slice the family would gasp at the beautiful coconut filling running perfectly through the middle. Felt like such a STAR!

38. Donna

Thank you for this recipe! After searching in stores for the biscuits my grandmother always had, I found this and tried it right away! It brought back the taste from my youth, and my family loved them! Easy, too, and I had everything in. Thanks again!

Glad you enjoyed them, Donna. It’s always neat to be able to re-create old favorites, isn’t it? PJH

39. cartvl219

PJ – Do you get The Vermont Country Store catalogs? I just received the Christmas issue today. On the back cover they show Garibaldi Biscuit Bars!! Apparently lots of people requested that the store carry them. I imagine they’re imported from England. I’ve looked them up online and they seem to be readily available in Britain. Lots more fun to make them ourselves!
    Carolyn

Yes, I’ve actually been to the VT Country Store and seen these, but can’t bear to pay the price – I feel better making my own! PJH

40. Betsy Rogers

I just came across this recipe (during a search for “what ever happened to Sunshine Raisin Biscuits”?). Can’t wait to give it a try!

One question, though. The printable version of the recipe calls for vanilla, but I don’t see vanilla mentioned in the step-by-step recipe above. Should I add vanilla or leave it out? I don’t remember the Sunshine biscuits as having any vanilla “notes”, but if you say it belongs in there I’ll do it – if it means I’ll be that much closer to re-visiting the yummy Sunshine biscuit.

Thanks!

Nope, no vanilla notes – how did that pesky vanilla get in there, anyway? ;) Thanks for the heads-up, Betsy, I’ve fixed it. PJH

41. feigles

DEAR PJ…..YOURS LOOK BETTER !
    Actually the old Raisin Biscuit Cookies ARE STILL AVAILABLE @ ” The Vermont Country Store.com.
    1 3.5oz Package for $3.15….but you have to order 6 of them.
    Reinvented by Garibaldi.
    Just saw them offered @ Christmas time.
    Like I said YOURS LOOK Tastier !!!
    Blessings, Donna Marie

42. Ray Zinman

I have to post this, as I longed for these cookies for years to no avail. Then, I watched a lady on youtube making them and we did that a couple times to good effect. However, yesterday, in Seattle, at an ethnic Chinese store/mall, I found a packaged cookie called Sultana Biscuits, made by Khong Guan in Singapore. They are pretty darn close (not perfect) to the Golden Biscuits. At least close enough to warrant buying them compared to the hassle of making my own. They’re pretty cheap too.

Good for you, Ray – seek and ye shall find (eventually), eh? Thanks for sharing – PJH

43. garybeac@aol.com

I have found a UK company, Crawford’s, that has made pastries since 1813. The first fruit biscuit was probably made during the Roman era, but Crawford’s started calling theirs “Garibaldi Biscuits” in 1854, to honor that hero’s visit to Tyneside that year. Garibaldi declined to dine with dignitaries, preferring the food and company of the working class. Anyway, you can go online and order Garibaldi Biscuits from Crawford’s. Not as good as Golden Raisin Biscuits, but then, nothing is ever as good as you remember it.

True, Gary. And I do like the ones I make myself – Golden Raisin Biscuit Cookies. They’re a bit rough around the edges, but very tasty! PJH

44. Mona

Just made these and they came out very well. Was wondering why there is a photo of melted butter, the recipe says chilled. Also, did not have the sanding sugar for the tops so substituted turbinado and the results are quite sparkly and crunchy.

Mona, if you’re looking at the picture of a tablespoon of liquid being poured into the mixing bowl – the chilled butter is in the bowl, and that’s orange juice I’m pouring over it. We’ve found OJ helps temper the sometimes strong flavor of whole wheat. Glad you enjoyed the cookies! PJH

45. jms3

I ordered the Garibaldi raisin cookies from the Vermont Country Store for my husbands Christmas stocking last year. They were expensive, but definitely tasted a lot like the Sunshine ones my hubby loved as a kid. Will definitely have to try this recipe.

I think you’ll enjoy this homemade version – and much easier than waiting for mail-order cookies. :) PJH

46. Pang

After trying to duplicate these much loved cookies, found this recipe. Wonderful, as close as possible to the commercial Sunshine cookies. And so fast and easy to make. I roll the dough out, transfer to parchment lined cookie sheet, fill, roll once more and use a ravioli cutter to get squares. Then the egg wash and then a sprinkle of raw sugar. They separate easily after baking. Sometimes I use chopped figs or a chopped grape medley, instead currants. Son says they are better than the ones he remembered as a child…. what Pop-Tarts were trying to achieve.

47. emdavisms

I still want the original sunshine biscuit raisin biscuit. the cookie was actually a cross between a cookie and a biscuit. I don’t see the egg glaze on this cookie like the original biscuit. but, thanks anyway.
    Yes, this recipe has that delicious sparkling sugar everywhere. You could do an egg wash instead! Elisabeth

48. Angel

I made these and they were quite yummy, but I wanted to let people know that if they have an Aldi grocery store that the apple-raisin crisp cookies are the closest thing I’ve found to Sunshine’s biscuits.

49. Susan

Just back from Scotland where we found the Garibaldi raisin biscuits in the grocery stores. We ate them with fond memories and although they were not exactly like the ones we had in childhood they were close enough. I know Vermont Country Store has them in a smaller package then we got in Scotland and at about $1.60/pkg there, figuring money conversion, less expensive than VCS. I am going to try this recipe and see how close I can get to the original biscuit. I know they’ll taste good and will be cheaper than a trip abroad and even mail order. Thank you King Arthur.

50. Arlen Morris

I have been looking for a recipe that mimics what I think are the Garibaldi Raisin Biscuits. I had one years ago. I tried yours but they did not seem quite sweet enough or something missing. May have
    gotten too much flour when rolling. But still would like your take on the Garibaldis

Arlen Morris

51. ks

In the last few months, I started having a strange craving for those raisin biscuits I knew in my childhood. I couldn’t remember who made them but, I would know them if I saw them. I haven’t been able to find them anywhere and I’m surprised to find out how many other people are interested in them, after so many years. On another note, I found King Arthur’s flour a few years ago and couldn’t believe the difference in taste.

Enjoy the memories brought back to life – while they don’t look the same, they certainly taste very similar. Thanks for the kind words about out flour – PJH

52. john p

I’ve been looking for these cookies for years not knowing Sunshine stopped making them. I love them in memory so much that I looked them up to see if I could order them from Sunshine. I moved to Florida thinking they were only sold in the north east. Sunshine you broke my heart and now I have no reason to live.

John, John – they once were lost, but now are found – right here! Let us pull you back from the precipice, please – make these, and you’ll regain your old zest for life, I promise. :) PJH

53. Eddie Pittman

Great to find this recipe! I’ll be making it tonight. BTW, I just got back from a trip to Japan where my host stocked my room with snacks. One of these snacks was virtually identical to the Sunshine Raisin Biscuit I remember and is called All Raisin (ironically, one of the few uses of English I saw in Japan that accurately described the product). Here is link if anyone is interested: http://tohato.jp/s/products/allraisin/

54. deborah imhoff

in the 60′s Sunshine had a box of cookies out called YUM YUM Cookies….they where actually like a little mini candy bar..but i loved these cookies…little chocolate bar with rice crispy center…loved them…can you give me any news about these cookies or anything similar that could compare to them..thank you..

Hi Deborah, these cookies do seem to be fondly remembered by many in the online community. Some feel that Girl Scout Samoas are the closest match today.~Jaydl@KAF

55. E

Doesn’t taste at all like the sunshine raisin biscuit cookie but I like the cookie because it is different. I used the one tablespoon of orange juice but I must admit you cannot taste it. I give this recipe four stars out of five.

56. Janet

Can you get away with less butter in this recipe?
    I love these low sugar cookies but did not remember that they had as much fat as a pie crust.

Janet, you can certainly use less butter and drizzle in a bit more liquid to bring the dough together; the cookies will be noticeably tougher, that’s all. Lower fat = less tenderness. But they’ll still taste good – PJH

57. Matt

Very tasty, but they didn’t have the same chewy consistency as the Sunshine brand biscuits. Or at least that’s how I remember them, as you said it’s been several years since they were available.

To more replicate that chew, do you think add more fat or more sugar? Either way, they turned out great and I enjoyed them as a snack on a long hike.

Matt, I’d say bake them a bit less, and increase the filling a bit; those should both add chew. Let us know if you try these variations, and how they come out. Happy hiking! PJH