If I had just one recipe to take with me to a dessert island…

Raindrops on roses? Whiskers on kittens? Well, perhaps bright copper kettles (especially if someone else was cleaning them) would qualify as one of my favorite things.

But when it comes to favorite recipes, one particular recipe has stood my personal test of time, and comes immediately to mind when a group of bakers gets together to play the “favorite” game.

My all-time favorite recipe? Almond Puff Loaf.

Admittedly, it’s really, REALLY hard to commit to a single favorite recipe. I mean, how can you begin to choose among creamy garlic-almond soup, four-layer fudge ganache cake, and the perfect oven-warm baguette? Each is divine in its own context.

And I’ll swoon over an olive oil-bathed pan bagna just as readily as a perfect piece of toffee buttercrunch candy. But if I had to choose… REALLY had to choose… my favorite recipe would be Almond Puff Loaf.

Why? Three reasons. First, it’s a wonderful culinary experience. The textural contrast between tender, buttery, flaky top crust and dense, moist buttery center; the tangy-sweet apricots paired with the rich flavor of toasted almonds; the creamy, almond-scented icing adding the perfect sweet finish… this is pure joy in every mouthful.

Second, it’s much easier to make than it has any right to be, given its layers, its different ingredients, and its fancy appearance. This is MY kind of recipe: I can throw it together in a few simple steps, and the result makes me look like a pastry professional.

Third, and most important, this recipe comes from my mom. I can’t even remember the first time I enjoyed it; just that she’d produce it on special occasions, and I came to associate it with family gatherings, holidays, and Mom.

So Mom, if you’re reading this (and I hope you’ve been able to find the bookmark I set up on your computer): thanks. For this, and the many other things you’ve taught me over the past 50+ years. Happy Mother’s Day – you’re the best!

Ready to make Almond Puff Loaf? Let’s begin.

Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly grease (or line with parchment) a large cookie sheet.

We’ll start with the garnish. Put 2/3 cup sliced or slivered almonds in a pan. Toast them in your 350°F oven for 7 or 8 minutes…

…until they’re nicely browned. Remove them from the oven, and set them aside to cool.

To make the first layer – put the following in a mixing bowl:

1/2 cup (8 tablespoons) butter*, cut into pats or 1/2″ cubes
1 cup (4 1/4 ounces) King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour

*If you’re using unsalted butter, add 1/4 teaspoon salt.

Work the butter into the flour until the mixture is unevenly crumbly. That means it’s OK to leave some bigger chunks of butter.

Add 1/4 cup cold water.

Mix until the dough is cohesive, though not smooth.

Since you’re going to divide the dough in half, it helps to weigh it. But don’t make yourself crazy; if you don’t have a scale, just eyeball it.

Pat each piece of dough into a 10” x 3” rectangle on a lightly greased or parchment-lined baking sheet. The pan should be large enough to hold both pieces of dough, leaving 3” on either side of each piece of dough, for expansion.

I’m using an 18” x 13” half-sheet pan here. If you don’t have a pan that big, use two pans; these puffs are going to PUFF.

To make the second layer – put the following in a saucepan:

1 cup water
1/2 cup (8 tablespoons) butter*

*If you’re using unsalted butter, add 1/4 teaspoon salt.

Heat the water and butter over medium heat until the butter melts, and the mixture comes to a boil.

Add 1 cup (4 1/4 ounces) King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour.

Immediately start stirring; the mixture will be lumpy. That’s OK; keep stirring.

Keep stirring until the dough starts to leave the sides of the pan, like this.

Remove it from the heat, and transfer to a mixing bowl. Beat at medium speed for a minute or so, until it stops steaming.

With the mixer running, add 3 large eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.

Notice the mixture will look slimy when you first add the eggs…

…but will smooth out beautifully as you beat.

Next, a key ingredient: almond extract.

Add 1 teaspoon almond extract.

Don’t care for almond flavor? Substitute vanilla extract.

Spread half the batter atop each dough log.

Spread the batter to cover the logs completely.

Bake for 45 to 50 minutes, until the puffs are a medium golden-brown.

Aren’t you glad you left all that space between the logs?

Remove the puffs from the oven.

While the puffs are still warm, spread them with the jam or preserve of your choice. I’m an apricot lover, so that’s always my choice. Except for an occasional foray into raspberry…

Allow the puffs to cool completely, then sprinkle with the toasted almonds.

Combine a heaping 1/2 cup confectioners’ or glazing sugar; 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract; 1/4 teaspoon almond extract; and 2 to 3 teaspoons milk or water, enough to make the glaze “drizzlable.”

Drizzle artfully over the puffs. I wasn’t being particularly artful here, as I was drizzling with my left hand and taking a picture with my right.

For a slightly different look, drizzle with icing first, then top with nuts afterwards (left).

Cut in squares to serve.

See that center? It almost looks like it’s filled with pastry cream, doesn’t it?

Trust me: you’ll think this is an incredibly buttery, tender Danish. But, no rolling… no folding… no fuss!

Almond Puff is delightful at breakfast or brunch, and is tasty any time of the day with a cup of coffee or tea. I hope this recipe becomes one of YOUR favorites, too.

Read, bake, and review (please) our recipe for Almond Puff Loaf.

comments

Kyle, click on “Almond Puff Loaf” at the end of the introductory narrative/beginning of the series of pictures – it’ll take you to the recipe. Enjoy! – PJH

2. Kyle Minor

::sputter::… well, I er — that is…. That link DEFinitely wasn’t there before! That’s my story and I’m sticking to it!

How could I have missed that? Thanks PJ! I am sheepishly going back into my corner now.

3. Irene Tetreault

First time I made these I cut the recipe in half to make only one and it came out great. Today I made it as instructed and layer 2 came out really thin….is 1 cup of water correct and 0ne cup of flour? or was the water too hot…overbeaten? Thank you!

Irene, the thing that seems to really vary the consistency of the top layer is the eggs; even though eggs are sized “large,” extra large,” etc., they still vary a LOT in size within their range. I think what happened is you used 2 particularly large “large” eggs the second time around (I assume you used large eggs?) This is where I always find my variations in consistency, not the water or flour. So, if you seem to be having that problem again, and the batter looks “just right” even though you haven’t added all the eggs, stop. Or just add part of the final egg, if it needs a LITTLE more liquidity. In other words, do it by eye, not following the recipe EXACTLY, if that’s what it takes. good luck!

5. Tracey

I made these when this recipe was first posted. The picture drew me in, but the whole desert island thing REALLY grabbed me! I mean, how can you resist a desert island challenge? Suffice to say that you will not be disappointed. These are FABULOUS. If you have not yet tried these — you must! They truly are incredibly simple and taste so scrumptious. The perfect breakfast treat. Even better to make for company because they look like you went to a LOT of work (and you’ll guests will never guess how easy they are). Thank you for the recipe and the step-by-step pictures which convinced me that I could make them!

6. PJ Hamel

Tracey, exactly what I think – they have the taste and appearance of something fancy, something you really needed a lot of skill to make, something you fussed over… but you absolutely didn’t (need skill or have to fuss). My kind of recipe!

7. D. Creasman

On the almond puff loaf you didn`t say how to store. I always need this

Store under a cover, like a cake cover – best not to wrap in plastic, as that will make it soggy. I like to save the big plastic covers that come over supermarket deli trays – they make good rising covers, AND good storage covers to put over plates, etc.- PJH

8. Bernard

Mine almond puff loaf didn’t turn out so good—all because I used slivered
    almonds ( overtoasted at that ! ), I should’ve used sliced almonds ! But the taste of the pastry was great ! I love this receipe because it did not used so much sugar, ahh yes, instead of that prepared drizzled icing I just sprinkled coarse sugar on top. Next time I will add more almond extract just to get a stronger almond taste. Any suggestion which brand of almond extract ?

Well, Bernard, as you say – at least the basic pastry tasted good. Better luck next time! We sell a good almond extract at kingarthurflour.com. If you buy at the supermarket, choose real (not imitation) almond extract. – PJH

9. Rose Nowak

I’ve made many puff pastries, this was the first one I saw using preserves. I tried it, it’s awesome. Just two comments on the preparation. For the first layer, I only use 2 Tblsp. water. It comes together in a ball fine. I would think the quarter cup would make it too wet. Also, the pan does not need to be greased. There’s enough butter in the bottom layer to make it slip right off.

Thanks for the input, Rose. At this time of the year, when the air is humid and flour absorbs liquid like a sponge, it could very well be that you only needed 2 tablespoons. Also, that would be the case if you use some flour other than King Arthur Flour; other brand-name national flours are lower protein, meaning they come together with less liquid (and also rise less). So long as it worked for you, that’s what counts! -PJH

10. Rachel

How well would these freeze? They look great, and I think I’m going to make a batch today for company, but would it be worthwhile to try freezing one of the baked loaves? Maybe before putting the preserves on?

Yes, I’d freeze the baked loaves, plain. then about an hour before serving, reheat at 350°F, covered lightly with foil, for about 10 minutes. Then spread with preserves. Drizzle with glaze just before serving, and finish with nuts. – PJH

11. ada

I just want to say THANK YOU…I’ve been looking for this receipe! I got a few years back(10), it didn’t turn out! But I’m so so positive with your instructions, I’m going home to night and BAKE it:) I’m advid backer! I’ve tasted this once. I’m so so happy can’t waite to try it out.

12. Rex Tasker

I couldn’t access the recipe either but am more interested in learning how this compares with the Portugese Traveseiro pastry. I had these in Sintra,Portugal last April and found them wonderful but just cannot find a recipe on Google or anywhere else. Does anyone know it?.

Rex, hard to say without a description of what you enjoyed. Try this Web site of Portuguese recipes, see if you see anything – PJH

13. Michelle

My sister just made this recipe for a family dinner and it was amazing. I am planning on making it for my husband’s family for Christmas morning…along with my cinnamon rolls.

14. Bettie Pruett

I’m one who needs the list of ingredients and how much of each item.
    I would like to make this but I do need the list.

Thanks.

15. Joan

THANK YOU!!!! These came absolutely DELICIOUS- this was a challenge for me I have been searching for pastry recipes forever & finally found this one. They were very easy to make, but I found I had to use a lot of pots, which was fine. I noted that you advised Rachel above that they can be frozen. I called KA hotline to ask if they could be frozen & was told that they didn’t freeze well because of the filling. Well – “THANK YOU” again this is a great recipe – I shocked myself. I’m looking for a walnut coffee ring the kind that Entenmanns sells.
    Joan N.

Joan, I think the ladies on the hotline didn’t quite see what you were talking about – there’s no filling, per se, in this pastry, it’s just a layer of dough within a shell of dough. So yes, freeze away, it’ll be fine. As for a lot of pots – a saucepan and a mixing bowl? Not too bad… I’m not familiar with the Entenmann’s walnut coffee ring -is it a flat yeast type thing, or a tall cake, or..? PJH

16. Joan

Thank you PJH – I’m sorry for misleading you about the pots- I also made a coconut custard pie the same day & I had to use a few pots & bowls. Your puffs only called for a pot & mixing bowl. With regard to the coffee ring – Yes it’s round and flat – has some sort of a nut filling swirled in the center – the pastry has a glaze, walnuts & the same type of icing as on your puffs.

Probably a kringle-type pastry, I’d guess. It’s basically the same as the puffs, but with different topping and filling. Take a look at our Butter-Pecan Kringle, see if it looks like what you’re talking about – if not, let me know, we’ll try to figure it out. Cheers! – PJH

17. tom

Question to the above comment on the eggs making batter thin…ever consider weighing out the eggs like you do with the other ingredients? I learned in culinary school that an egg weighs 2 oz. So it would be great if you had those in weight measurement also!

Depends on the egg, Tom. We use supermarket-purchased large eggs, whose out-of-shell weight is 1 3/4 ounces pretty consistently. It would indeed by good to indicate egg weight in recipes calling for a good number of eggs; but for most recipes, with just one or two eggs, a couple of grams difference either way isn’t going to make a difference. Thanks for connecting- PJH

18. Dave

Would it be too sweet to exclude the fruit jelly and go with more drizzled glaze and toasted almonds? I ask this because, well honestly I prefer glazing and or icing to fruit. Thanks
    Your question sounds like the perennial question, do you prefer the cake or the frosting? In this case of this recipe, it sounds like you would forego the fruit filling for the glaze and almonds. Since the fruit for this recipe is on top of the finished product, I think you could try the recipe without it and see what you think of the result. I’m not sure I would increase the amount of glaze or almonds, but make the recipe the first time with the amount suggested, then increase as fits your own sweet tooth! Irene at KAF

19. Mark London

Great recipe. I made this the first time for a New Year’s Eve get-together and got a lot of compliments.
    Two things I need to work on – Second layer was a little thin – I did not read the suggestion above to “eye” the consistency before adding the last egg.
    Secondly, my icing was more of a taupe than white because of the addition of the vanilla (I tried it twice with two different brands). I added water instead of milk. Any other suggestions on the color to get the white color (besides adding milk — my “in-house” consultant suggested fat free half and half)?

Fat-free half and half is indeed very white, Mark; I haven’t tried it, but it should be nice. You can also just leave out the vanilla and use a touch of almond extract in its place. Or use less vanilla. Or use “white vanilla,” which is fake vanilla that cake decorators use, if you’re willing to trade taste for color. PJH

20. Ed

I did everything that the recipe stated to do. The temp. in the house was about 68 degs. much colder outside I fell that the dough did not rise as much as I thought it would. Everybody said it was good and I must admit it was, it just did not puff as much as I thought it would.
    Any suggestions.
    ED.H

My first guess would be too much flour in the dough you spread on top; read our tips on how to measure flour. Or you didn’t use large eggs? Usually a drier dough won’t puff as much… PJH

21. Mary Ann Cawley

I made the puff today and looove it! One question. I found forming the first layer into logs and patting them very awkward and messy. Couldn’t you divide, chill, roll out the dough into an 11″ X 6″ rectangle and then cut in half? It would involve much less handling of the dough.

Actually, Mary Ann, I think I’d find it much more trouble to divide, chill, and roll out; than to simply wet my fingers and pat into shape… All I can say is, try it and see how it works for you. Good luck – PJH

22. Scratch Cook

Thanks for the pictures; they help so much–”cover the logs completely” doesn’t mean edge to edge. As the picture shows, it means ‘bury them’! lol

23. foodie princess

Instead of jam or preserve, can I spread cream cheese so I end up with something similar to a cheese danish? Or will the cheese just melt and create a huge mess?

I think you should spread with spreadable (whipped) cream cheese RIGHT before serving. Spread with cheese, then drizzle with icing, top with nuts, and serve. Refrigerate any leftovers. Sounds yummy… PJH

24. Toni Kappelmeier

Molly, I want to thank you for your help. I wanted the recipe for the Almond Puff Loaf so bad, but I tried and tried to find the recipe and I just couldn’t bring it up. I did exactly as was instructed to the other person who had a hard time getting it, but for some reason it wouldn’t open to the recipe. Anyhow, you came to my rescue. Thank you so very much. What a wonderful Website you have and such wonderful people who will share their terrific receipes. I think I will enjoy giving my recipes as well. these are people who truly love to cook and bake!!
    Toni

25. Jean Donaruma

I’ve been making theses for many years. The recipe was given to me from a friend. I make them without the preserves. I simply drizzle the frosting and sprinkle with walnuts. They are so easy and make a great presentation.

26. Linda

I wish that I had read all of the tips here before starting out on this…. I read some of them, but missed the one about the dough not puffing up…

My first attempt at this is currently in the oven, about 15 or 20 minutes left of bake time, and it’s totally flat.

I used only 2 eggs in the 2nd layer, because all I had were jumbo eggs, and the consistancy looked right, a very very soft dough, but not like a custard, which is how it appears in the photo.

What went wrong?

Hi, Llinda – This can be a bit tricky; the flour/liquid ratio has to be pretty close, so could be the jumbo eggs. Also, did you use King Arthur all-purpose flour? Any other flour would make a difference, too, as other flours are lower protein, and the dough would be slacker, and wouldn’t puff as much… Finally, sometimes mine don’t puff – and I always make them exactly the same. So it can be an unsolved mystery. Try again with large eggs, make sure you use KA flour, and hopefully the next one will puff! PJH

27. Linda

Hi PJH…

Thanks. No, I didn’t use KA flour. I have it in the house, but was working the last of another brand before opening the KA. I’ll take your advice and let you know.

The last batch, although flat, were exceptionally great tasting. I used a bumbleberry jam (strawberry, raspberry, loganberry, blueberry), and they were awesome!

Can’t wait to try them again, I’m about to start. I’ll let you know how they work out with the correct ingredients!

Thanks, Linda, I’ll look forward to hearing from you. That bumbleberry jam sounds great! I’ve never had it with loganberries… PJH

28. Elizabeth Sindler

For some reason I am unable to find the measurement section of this recipe and I can’t wait to try it. It looks wonderful and with two puffs one can be used as a gift. Is there some way to help me? Thanks, E. Sindler

The link is at the end of the blog, Elizabeth. And here it is again: Almond Puff Loaf. This is a truly yummy pastry… and so easy! Enjoy – PJH

29. Stephanie

I was thinking about using some kind of apple jam with this. I’ve never made it before so I’m not sure if it would taste as good, what do you think?
    Hi Stephanie,
    I would try a bit of the apple jam on a corner of the puff before covering the whole thing. If you like the bite, cover the whole puff. If you don’t you can choose another jam. ~ MaryJane

30. Cathy Ballard

Stephanie, apples are a favorite here and instead of apple jam you can saute apples in a little butter and perhaps some brown sugar depending on how sweet you want it. A little cinnamon and a bit of brandy or rum for flavor. Cook until thick and syrupy. And toasted English walnuts instead of almonds. The flavor of autumn. Skip the drizzle. Thanks for this wonderful tasting pastry for coffee time.

31. Judy

Just one question. The recipe says to sprinkle the almonds on top of the jam, and then drizzle the icing over top. Here in the blog you say to drizzle the icing over the jam and then sprinkle almonds on top. Which one works best? BTW, I love the blog and the recipes. As a pastry chef in training, I think this site has some of the best recipes and step by step directions around. I check the blog almost daily for new directions.

Thanks Chef Judy…..This is a question of both baker’s aestetics and getting the almonds to stick to the dessert. Does this work better for the baker if the almonds are directly on the filling or on the icing? Which “look” do you like? Thanks for including our postings and website in your baking education! Irene @ KAF

32. Paula Rodriguez

Would Almond Emulsion work just as well as extract in this recipe?

Yes indeed, Paula – I’d say use half as much, to taste, adding a bit more if you like. PJH

33. wendyb964

I absolutely HAD to try this the night I read the recipe. I followed the recipe exactly except for crumbling bits of real almond paste and dabbing it on the top prior to baking. Although it did not puff it was delicious. I was out of KAF, it was yummy even at 2am warm!

As a self-professed chemistry geek who loves almond filling, I decided to try to incorporate almond paste into the topping layer. After reading oodles of almond fillings on dozens of sites I decided to chunk up the almond paste and add it to the water and butter prior to adding the flour in the choux. The texture was way too wet: it spread, did not puff, and the taste was less almond-y than the first try. It paradoxically seemed drier, too, though the color was very similar.
    Any hints (besides my tried and true KAF)? How about a diff. almond layer before the choux? A sweetened cream cheese filling instead? Thanks in advance. All critiques will be instructive. (Though most non-yeast baked goods/desserts I try are yummy, imho, I’m terrified of yeast. Think I’ll get bold and try some of your recipes this winter.) Know I’ll get lots of support from you experts who have developed a knack.

Wendy, I think it’s best to leave the choux and first layer as is; don’t try adding almond paste, as it definitely affects the rise and texture, as you saw. Instead, how about simply crumbling the almond paste onto the hot pastry as soon as you pull it out of the oven? Or mixing it with something to make it spreadable (cream cheese and milk? Milk and some sugar?), and substituting it for the jam and glaze, simply adding toasted almonds on top? As for yeast, once you get familiar with it, it’s the EASIEST, most forgiving, most flexible ingredient to work with. Just jump in and start experimenting; no-knead breads are a good place to start. Good luck – PJH

34. Terry Evans

Hi PJH. I am a wheat and gluten free lady, who would love to make this Almond Puff Loaf. Is there some way I can do it, using the gluten free flour you sell? One of the things I really miss are all the wonderful pasteries, especially the puff kind.

What is the possibility of getting a good recipe from you to make this gluten free? Thank you so much. Terry

We haven’t converted all our recipes to their GF partner or variation. If you try this one using the GF Flour, we’d love to hear your results! Irene @ KAF

35. Brenda Appleseed

Great recipe! Excellent instructions! Love you guys. KAF has made baking so much better in every way. Just wanted you to know (in case you didn’t) our local Apple (computer) store uses your site as a best example of a web site in their business instruction meetings, and I couldn’t agree more! Thanks for all your hard work, I’m sure you enjoy it.
    B

Thanks, Brenda – I’m sharing this with our Web team. Way cool! PJH

36. Margaret

I just made this for the 2nd time, for our Christmas breakfast. (The kids and husband are busy with their new toys so I can come here without guilt. :-) )

My family loves cheese danish so I attempted to modify this recipe. I mixed up a sweet cream cheese filling, following the proportions in the 200th Anniversary Cookbook (about 1/2 the recipe). After I baked the pastry for 30 minutes I spread the cream cheese mixture over top and baked it for 20 minutes more. Then we topped it with the almonds and a slight drizzle of icing. It was perfect.

I owe a lot of my confidence in experimenting to your 200th Anniversary Cookbook. And now your website. Thanks!

Thanks for your feedback here, Margaret – what a good idea, cream cheese filling. I’ll bet it was very Danish-like… PJH

37. CCRAIN55

The recipe looks great, just would like to know time frame..how long approx. from start to finish..can I do it tonight and bake in the am..

You can’t do the whole thing ahead and bake in the morning; but you could make the base layer, then make the top layer the next morning and bake. If you did it that way, it would probably take about 10 minutes to make the top layer, then whatever baking time it takes. To do the whole thing at once, it’s probably about 10 minutes each for the base layer and top layer, then baking time. PJH

38. Ronavish

I clicked on the link,almond puff loaf as stated in this article but,It still does not show,it only takes me to other links about flour.

I apologize for the inconvenience. I will alert our web team. Hopefully they will be able to quickly resolve the glitch. Frank @ KAF.

39. "sandra Alicante"

Well, that is definitely on my to do list! I can imagine all those flavours right now and will make sure I have the ingredients so I can bake on Wednesday. Sadly, I shall have to make do with looking at the pics till then as I have a medical test on Tuesday that restricts what I’m allowed to eat till it’s over! Hey, look on the bright side though, after a few days of eating no solids, a day of starvation, I’ll have lost a few pounds and will be able to have a bigger slice!

sandrascookbook.com

40. Brenda

This has been on my “someday” list since you first posted it. Just picked up both raspberry and apricot preserves, so hopefully next weekend…will take the leftovers either in to work or over to share with friends.

41. brennacb

I have been making this treat since I can remember. My dad’s German grandmother makes it, we call it almond puff pastry. Our variation has no apricots but instead is frosted (butter, powdered sugar, and almond extract) and we normally sprinkle pecans on top. I can practically make it with my eyes closed. I make it on select holidays (my dad’s birthday, father’s day) since it is my father’s favorite desert. My dad says he has tried to make it but it never turns out for him. I have never seen or heard of anything like this from anyone else’s recipes. I do have to concur, this is definitely one of the best deserts out there!

Thanks – I love how easy it is, compared to how it tastes/what it looks like. It makes you look like a real pastry expert! And everyone loves it. I’ve actually made a butter pecan version with caramel sauce on top – shaped it into a ring and called it a kringle. Bet you’d like that version, too- PJH

42. kayler

I like the idea of a dessert island better than a desert island

Well, if calories weren’t a consideration, I’d at least like to sample a few days on a dessert island, Kayler… :) PJH

43. HMB

I love that the recipe makes two. Made it this morning so I could bring one to my mom and leave one at home for my husband and son to find when those lazybones eventually decided to get up! Nice and easy, very attractive on the plate, and tasty too!

44. Teresa Leslie

WOW! I am totally gluten and yeast free and couldn’t resist making the adjustments on this recipe. It is fabulous and easy!!!!
    The only addition is 3/4 tsp xanthum gum into the bottom layer, used gluten free all purpose flour.
    Fantastic recipe!!!! LOVE IT!!!!

Teresa, thanks so much for figuring out a GF version – so glad it worked out well for you. And thanks for sharing – PJH

45. Irene in TO

To add an almond paste layer, crumble a thin layer onto pastry #1 before you add the cooked dough #2. Pat the crumbles down to keep them from sliding off as you add the softer dough. Bake at 400F for the first five minutes, then turn the heat down to 350. This ensures that the dough is completely cooked.

46. "Blue-eyed Baker"

One of my all-time favorite recipes!!! My family has been making this for well over 55 years. We are Danish and German ancestry and call it Kringler. Ours, like Brennacb’s, does not have the preserves- but I will try it with the apricot preserves. We always must make it for Christmas morning and usually any other special family get-together that involves a breakfast! Everyone always loves it. All the siblings in my family have taken this recipe and made it a favorite in each of their homes as well! It is a most-requested recipe. It does look like it is much more difficult to make than it really is.

47. Richelle

Made this today with white spelt flour and substituted 1/3 of the butter by a gel made with chia seeds and they still puffed beautifully. Didn’t need all the water in the dough for the bottom though and as my almond slivers smelled a bit stale, I toasted them with a bit of butter and when brown, sprinkled some very fine sugar on them and let them caramelize… very yummy!
    Next time I’ll divide the dough in more, smaller parts because we like the end bits most! And I’ll probably try different combinations: a blackberry spread with allspice and vanilla in the dough, or a strawberry spread with lemon and orange in the dough.
    Thanks for such a lovely recipe!

48. mumpy

here’s the very similar recipe that makes cookies, but it uses honey in the second layer instead of spreading on jam:

oven preheated to 400.
    crust is half cup butter, one and one third cups of flour and only 3 TBS water….form dough, press into greased 9 x 13, drizzle with 2 TBS of honey, scatter half to two thirds cup nuts over honey.
    the batter is made the same way, except that when adding the almond extract, you also stir in a half cup of honey, then spread the batter over the crust.
    bake at 400 for 30 to 35 minutes, lightly browned and very puffy (it will collapse when cool).
    glaze (same ingredients) when cool; cut into one inch squares.

not as pretty, but very good, and easier to use as finger food…it’s been a family favorite for years.
    Yum! As I read this, I’m hoping I have all the ingredients at home when I arrive after work! Irene @ KAF

49. pmd

Could you please let me know if I could make this without eggs? What would be the possible substitute? Thank you.

Sorry, I don’t think you could successfully make this without eggs; they’re integral to flavor, structure, and texture. If you’re looking for something flaky, delicious, and egg-free, you might try creating something from this Easy Puff Paste. Enjoy- PJH

50. gaa

PJ, I humbly bow to your baking greatness!! I made this recipe this weekend for the first time after having it sit for several months in my “Recipes to Bake” file. At first I thought that this would not be almondy enough; the batter didn’t really seem to even have the almond smell. I put them in the oven and, oh despair? Where was the puff; where was the almond scent? Just relax, I told myself, trust PJ. She has never let you down. Suddenly, the enticing almond aroma began to waft through the kitchen. Look in the oven and …. PUFF!! Massive, fluffy puff! This recipe came out exactly as you said. Incredible flavor. I used raspberry preserves on one loaf and apricot on the other and cannot decide which I love more! PJ thank you for sharing your family recipe and your baking skill with us!

Aw, thanks… I have to say this isn’t exactly a family recipe, as it was VERY popular back in the ’50s and ’60s, known variously as French Puff, Puff Loaf, etc. But no need to quibble about provenance – it’s jut plain good, and absolutely is the ONE recipe I’d take with me to that dessert [sic] island! :) PJH

51. Rachael

I made this recently and it was absolutely delicious! My whole family enjoyed it. I was wondering how far in advance could I make this if I’m tight on time?

It’s best the day it’s made, but it would certainly last several days, tightly wrapped, at room temperature. Gentle reheating will bring it back to life; understand the icing will melt and you’ll lose the nice “look” when you reheat, but you could also choose to make it all ahead except the icing, then reheat, and ice just before serving. PJH

52. Matxalen

I made this recipe yesterday to bring to work and it was absolutely delicious, everyone loved it!. Thanks you so much for sharing.

In my case the only adjustments I had to make were, the cooking time (30 mins in the oven was enough) and for the icing 1 Tb of milk was also enough. :)

53. Carol

Now if I could make it gluten free…………

That would be an impressive undertaking! You essentially bake off a pastry crust for the base (http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/gluten-free-pie-crust-recipe) and then the topping is a cream puff paste (you could easily alter our GF brazilian cheese buns that are based on tapioca flour–get the right kind!–and omit the cheese and salt: http://www.kingarthurflour.com/blog/2010/02/20/gluten-free-and-lovin-it-%E2%80%93-cheese-buns-extraordinaire/). The rest should be a snap to replicate! Kim@KAF

54. Linda

I have had this recipe from my grandmother and it was always topped with maraschino cherries with the icing and then cut into strips. Very easy and delicious recipe which was always served Sunday morning for breakfast.

55. Donna

I’m an avid baker and I love the instructional pictures you have with the recipes!! Saves time and guesswork.

56. Lois

Is the filling suppose to be well done???? The center of mine is sooooooooooo moist. Is that normal??? It taste great but the center doesn’t seem done. Am i doing something wrong???

Thanks.

Lois, the filling is supposed to be VERY moist – think cream cheese consistency. Not running out when you cut it, but definitely moist. If that’s what yours looks like, you’re all set. Enjoy – PJH

57. Shar

Thanks for a great recipe PJ! I made this for the first time today. I topped one loaf with blueberry preserves and will freeze the second loaf for now. Yummy tasting pastry! Just a minor point/question – I have been baking using ingredient weight, whenever possible (started due to KA recipe/blog suggestions). I was puzzled that the 1 cup AP flour weight is shown as 4 1/2 oz. in the recipe (normally shown as 4 1/4) – but then I noticed that PJ’s blog amount shows as 4 1/4 oz. – so that is what I used. Typo – or secret test? Also, thanks to all of the blogger’s for great suggestions.