Honey-Oat Pain de Mie: comfort bread

honey oat pan de mie

Ah, supermarket bread!

Beloved of children, remembered with nostalgia by their crusty-chewy-artisan-loaf-eating parents. Close-grained, soft, moist, dense, and perfect for sandwiches. And toast.

But not for rolling into bread balls and firing at the kid across the lunchroom table.

That would be air bread, the equally loved (but oft maligned) Wonder. No, I’m talking Pepperidge Farm here. Or Arnold. Or [fill in the regional higher-priced mass-market bread bakery of your choice].

I grew up with Arnold and Pepperidge Farm breads. Both had large bakeries in Connecticut, where I lived. Arnold “brick oven bread,” in fact, was baked in the largest brick oven in the world, in Greenwich, Connecticut. Pepperidge Farm bread came from just up the road in Norwalk.

While we kids clamored for Sunbeam Bread (“It’s batter whipped!”), the local Wonder wannabe, Mom preferred bread with a bit more substance. And since she held the purse strings and pushed the shopping cart, our lunchbox PB & J sandwiches were made with Arnold or Pepperidge Farm. They had some heft to them.

Though I’ve been baking my own bread for years, a slice of Pepperidge Farm white, made into cinnamon toast, is still an occasional pleasure – usually when I’m visiting my non-baking in-laws. With its fine, even crumb;  pleasant moist texture, and very slight sweetness, it’s true comfort food.

These days, though, I usually make my own comfort bread: pain de mie. It’s just like good supermarket bread – but without the calcium propionate, mono and diglycerides, and high-fructose corn syrup those mass-produced breads need to survive on the shelf.

My lidded pain de mie pan has produced many a loaf over the years, as I’ve gradually moved from white bread, to 100% whole wheat, and now to Honey-Oat Pain de Mie – white bread with a nice charge of oats.

Can you bake this bread in a loaf pan?

Sure; you can bake it in a 9″ x 5″ loaf pan. But the bread won’t have that perfectly even, fine texture.

If you’re a fan of just-like-supermarket-but-better sandwich bread, I highly recommend a pain de mie pan. I’m thinking sourdough pain de mie next…

Place the following ingredients in a mixing bowl:

3 cups (12 3/4 ounces) King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
2 1/4 teaspoons instant yeast
1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats (not quick oats)
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
4 tablespoons melted butter
3 tablespoons honey

Note: This recipe is written for a 9″ pain de mie pan. Though we haven’t tested it, I suspect that increasing all of the ingredients (except the yeast) by 50% (e.g., 3 cups flour becomes 4 1/2 cups flour) would transform this into a recipe suitable for a large (13″ x 4″) pain de mie pan.

Add 1 cup to 1 cup + 2 tablespoons lukewarm water

How do you know how much water to use? Generally speaking, use the smaller amount in the summer, or in a humid climate; the larger in winter, or in a drier climate.

This time of year, in between seasons? I’d start with the smaller amount.

Combine all of the ingredients, and mix until cohesive.

Cover the bowl, and let the dough rest for 20 minutes, to give the oats a chance to absorb some of the liquid.

Scrape the dough into the center of the bowl.

Knead the dough for about 7 minutes. It’ll start out very sticky, then gradually start to come away from the sides of the bowl.

It helps to stop midway through, scrape the sticky dough off the sides and bottom of the bowl, then continue kneading.

By the time you’re done, the dough should be sticking just a little, at the very bottom of the bowl.

Place the dough in a lightly greased bowl, or in an 8-cup measure (so you can track its progress as it rises), and let it rise for 1 to 1 1/2 hours, until it’s risen noticeably. It won’t necessarily double in bulk.

Gently deflate the dough, and shape it into a 9″ log. Place the log in a lightly greased 9″ pain de mie (pullman) pan, pressing it gently to flatten.

Place the lid on the pan (or cover with plastic wrap, for a constant view)…

…and let the dough rise until it’s about 1″ from the top of the lid, 60 to 90 minutes.

This should be just about right.

If it’s not risen enough, it won’t fill the pan. But let it rise too much, and you run the risk of the loaf actually popping the pan’s lid off. Yes, rising bread is that strong!

Towards the end of the rising time, preheat the oven to 350°F.

Remove the plastic (if you’ve used it), slide the pan’s lid completely closed, and bake the bread for 30 minutes.

Remove the lid, and bake for an additional 5 minutes, or until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the center registers at least 190°F.

The finished loaf will be a gorgeous golden brown.

Turn the loaf out of the pan onto a rack.

Run a stick of butter over the top, if desired; this will yield a soft, buttery crust.

Cool completely before cutting; wrap airtight and store  for several days at room temperature.

Peanut butter and Fluff? Egg salad? Ham and cheese?

What’s your favorite “comfort food” sandwich? Tell us below.

Read, bake, and review (please) our recipe for Honey-Oat Pain de Mie.

comments

1. debj

Looks good! I have the larger pain de mie pan, how would I enlarge this recipe to fit that one? thx!

No guarantees because I haven’t tried it, but my educated guess says increasing all the ingredients except the yeast by 50% should work (e.g., 3 cups flour becomes 4 1/2 cups). PJH

1. Joy

I have the 13x4x4″ Pullman, and I did indeed increase all the ingredients (except the yeast) by 50% and that was exactly right. Bread came out perfectly.

2. emdh

I love using my pain de mie pan! But mine is the bigger version. Is there an easy way to convert this recipe to the larger volume? Thanks!

I haven’t tried it, but try increasing all the ingredients except the yeast by 50% (e.g., 3 cups flour becomes 4 1/2 cups). That should work… PJH

Jeannie, you can freeze the dough if you like. I’d suggest kneading it, then refrigerate it for an hour or so, then gently deflate (if it’s started to rise), shape it into a ball, wrap in plastic (not tightly, but securely), then put it in a plastic bag. Freeze for no longer than 3 weeks or so. When you want to bake it, unwrap, put in a greased bowl, and thaw in the fridge overnight. Let it rise at room temperature (it’ll take awhile, since it’s cold), then shape, rise, and bake as directed. If it were me, I’d bake the bread (rather than freeze the dough), then cut the bread into slices and freeze the slices, wrapping up packets of 4-5 slices and putting them in a plastic bag. Take out one packet at a time, leaving the remaining slices in the coldest part of the freezer; use them all within a month or so. I prefer doing it this way since there’s less hassle with the long waits involved in baking bread from dough that’s been frozen; and anyway, the baked/frozen slices, once thawed (and especially toasted), are indistinguishable from fresh. Good luck – PJH

3. AnneInWA

PJ,

I will be making this in the morning! I love serving freshly made bread to my family, and one that is healthy as well. Just a few questions, I have a 13 x 4 pain de mie pan, how should I adjust the recipe to get a loaf to fit? Also, could I substitute some oat flour for some of the all purpose? Thanks again PJ!

Anne, for a 13″ x 4″ pan, I’d suggest increasing all the ingredients except the yeast by 1/2 – e.g., 3 cups flour becomes 4 1/2 cups. You could try substituting oat flour for 1/2 cup of the AP (in your 4 1/2 cup, larger recipe) – more than that, I think it would affect the loaf’s structure too much. Enjoy! PJH

Yes, doubling 3 cups of flour yields 6 cups. But if you’re talking about using a 14″ pain de mie pan, you don’t double everything – just increase by half, so 3 cups becomes 4 1/2 cups. If I’m misunderstanding your question, please post again with further detail, OK? Thanks – PJH

4. Pral

Yummy!! can feel the goodness of the hot bread :)

Could we use agave syrup instead of honey?

Sure – I’d use 1/2 tablespoon less, though, as it’s sweeter… PJH

5. mikest

Mmmm, don’t have ovens at the movement (being moved to the other side of the kitchen Monday), but…

How does this compare to the Honey Oatmeal Bread? I really like that one.

Just an FYI for anyone interested. If you use a wire rack to cool the bread, and place it nicely, it leaves marks on the bottom that you can use as a guide when slicing the loaf.
    The Honey Oatmeal Bread is a little heartier in texture than the Pain De Mie. ~Amy

6. adawnd69

Do any yeast bread recipes work with a pain de mie? I would love to get one, but wondering if my favorite recipe would work. Love your blog! I learn something new every time I read.

No reason any kind of recipe wouldn’t work in a pain de mie – it simply compresses the loaf as it bakes, to produce a close crumb. I just made our No-Knead Harvest Bread in my 13″ pan… PJH

7. sarahgrace

Would this recipe work in a bread machine?
    The recipe formula would be compatible, but if you also baked it in the machine, it would not have the pain de mie shape. ~Amy

8. Aaron Frank

How much of this is the pan and how much is the recipe? I’ve been making 100% whole wheat bread and it’s denser than the supermarket varieties. My wife and I prefer it but my kids refuse to eat it.

How do I get the airy supermarket 100% whole wheat bread (and they don’t use high fructose corn syrup either).

Would the pan help?

Thanks
    The pain de mie recipes do tend to have an airy, supermarket, perfect sandwich bread texture. The pan is really utilized to create the square shape. ~Amy

9. oharras

I do not have a pain de mie pan and would like to know if this recipe can be used in the bread machine. If so, I have the small Zo and would like to know how to alter the ingredients for the smaller machine. Thanks.

I’m not sure this would work in the small Zo; seems like it might be too much dough for baking in the machine. Your best bet would be to prepare the dough in the machine, on the manual/dough cycle; then take it out, and let it rise and bake in a bread pan in your regular oven. Good luck – PJH

10. "Paul from Ohio"

Love our pain de Mie pan! Great new addition to our bread menu. Will try it upon our return home in a few days. Great visit to KAF. Missed seeing some folks and hope they are all having a happy good life: perhaps next time we are up that way we’ll get to check in on them. Keep up the great work PJ!

Paul – :) :) :) – glad you had a good time, and hope to see you someday, somewhere… PJH

11. moniqueterrio

for those of us without a pain de mie loaf pan, can a regular loaf pan be used with a cover (I was thinking a small pizza pan over the top)?
    Unfortunately, that won’t work as it is important for the lid to be attached somehow. ~Amy

12. sunfire

I’m an “Artisan Bread in Five Minutes or Less” person so this is type of bread baking is fairly new to me. I don’t have a pain de mie…..a chef told me to skip another gadget and just wrap foil very tightly around my squared off loaf pan……will see how it works. I’m stymied though, 3 out of 4 commentors ask the same question about the larger pan………guys, read the captions!

You’ll have to wrap the foil VERY tightly, and multiple layers – rising bread can pop even a tightly secured metal lid off a pan if it gets going too fast! And, it’s my fault – I didn’t add that comment about converting to a 13″ x 4″ pan till after I’d seen those three questions about said conversion… It takes a community to FULLY build a blog! :) PJH

13. FlyingRoo

What a superb crumb! I think I’m going to buy a pain de mie pan… a 9″ one so I won’t have to tweak the recipe ;^)

You won’t be sorry – all kinds of sandwich breads are delightful in the small pain de mie. PJH

14. kstegman

Okay, I’m reading your comments about the size of the pan which all might explain why when I tried making this yesterday – before I saw this blog – mine didn’t rise to within 1″ and didn’t come out looking right. Still quite good and will be eaten. Guess I have the larger pan (must go measure). The dough was VERY sticky, but its been very humid and rainy here, might that have anything to do with it? Or was I just impatient?
    Yes, the humidity can affect the dough. Sometimes when it is humid, holding back a little on the water is a good idea. ~Amy

15. _mrs_h

Oh Oh Oh I cannot wait until my order of flour and yeast arrives because my husband has been asking (in not so many words) for this very bread!! “Something,” he says, “like sandwich bread, soft, like for peanut butter and jelly sandwiches.” He enjoys our rustic sourdough loaves, which is all we’ve had lately since I was out of yeast … but he wants that soft, decadent bread again!!!! THANK YOU!!! P.S. My husband is in the Navy and I MUST feed him well, you are doing your part to support the armed forces with this fabulous blog!!!

Well, I’m sure your husband will find that this bread is everything he’s dreaming of… and we’re so glad we can support our armed forces to boot! :) PJH

16. pambles

This bread sounds wonderful. I am wondering if I can make this in my bread machine?

No guarantees, but you could try – use the whole-grain setting, even though it’s mostly AP flour; it’s a bit of a slow-riser. Good luck – PJH

17. pk7sha

Do you have any information on how well the pain de mie loaf pan works at altitude (10,200 ft)? Should I use less yeast? Thanks for your help.

Most yeast bread recipes need to be amended at altitude, no matter the pan they’re baked in. Check out our high-altitude baking tips for more information. PJH

18. lisahullender

If we wanted to use our 9″ pain de mie pan for other bread recipes, what weight of dough would we use for it for most effective loaves?
    My pan is on the way, and I want to make the most effective use of it that I can! :-)
    Hi there,
    12 to 14 ounces of dough should do the trick in the smaller pan. Be sure to adjust though as you experiment. ~ MaryJane

I’d say a flour weight of 12 to 14 ounces would be about right; the dough would weigh about 201 to 24 ounces or so… A recipe using 3 to 3 1/2 cups flour/grains is your best bet. PJH

19. "Scrap Lover"

Yum. Will have to try this. I haven’t baked/blogged in a while and have to catch up on my ‘Baking Banter.’ … Hope everyone in the KAF kitchen is well! I hope to get up there to shop this weekend … ~ Maryellen
    Hi honey,
    So glad to see you here again. Hope you are well, and glad you are back baking. ~ MaryJane

20. lindadv

I have wanted to try this recipe but I have the pan that is the bottom portion of the pain de mie pan. It is the one listed for gluten free breads and looks like the same pan, without the lid. I wanted to try using a heavy baking sheet (it was the side of a battleship in its former life) for a lid. Those yeasties are strong! The dough raised the sheet and I put the lid to a cast iron pan on top and it blew that off! The baking sheet wasn’t evenly on the pan so it tilted and I have a semi-pan de mie loaf.

So, the experiment didn’t work but the bread is wonderful! A bit oddly shaped, but it makes a great peanut butter sandwich.

21. sallybr

I’ve resisted buying a pain de mie pan for….. 5 years. That’s how long I’ve been flirting with it.

(sigh)

I cannot resist any longer. I’m ordering one tonight…. hope they deliver it quickly, and this bread will be the first one, although, to be completely honest, I have a few recipes using this pan saved in my computer. I guess I knew at some point I’d cave ;-)

22. tjoswan

Very Good! Loved the Pan, I found one yesterday and made the bread last night! Even my husband loved it! I’m excited at all the possibilities with the pullman pan.. I’m going to experiment with toasted steel-cut oats & buckwheat honey for my next bread later today! Thank you for all the great recipes and great information!

23. rnjcole

PJ – I have used my larger 13″ pan for sourdough. Of course I didn’t write it down, but I always use the classic sourdough recipe with yeast that came with my starter purchase. Typically, it makes two rounded loaves on a baking sheet that spread a little. I was trying for the sandwich size, so put both loaves worth of dough (the whole recipe) into my pain de Mie pan. Really can’t remember if I even adjusted my last rise from the standard hour that I give it. It work wonderfully! I use my sourdough almost exclusively for classic recipe with yeast, or English muffins. My husband loves either…

OK, I’m going to try this for sure. THANKS! PJH

24. "Deb V"

WOW! This was wonderful!!! I baked it last night, the first loaf in my brand new 9″ pullman pan, and it came out perfectly! I baked it at 325 degrees on the convection setting on my oven and placed it on the bottom shelf. Baked it for 30 min., removed the lid and baked another 5 minutes. I let it cool and wrapped it up for the night. This morning I made my husband eggs and toast, I had my very favorite, fried egg sandwich! I’m so excited and glad I bought this pan. Now, I want to make a sourdough loaf, so I will be doing some research on that….Thanks for such a wonderful recipe, I have always loved a good oatmeal bread.

25. letoile

This is one of those I didn’t have this, so I did that, letters!
    This bread sounded so wonderful to me, despite no Pullman pan, despite no Old Fashion Oats, I made it. I used Quick Oats, and a regular 8X5 bread pan. Then I thought I would make it in pull-aparts which was a mistake. However, it tastes WONDERFUL, the dough was not overly sticky and was a joy to work with, all was as you said. The mistake with the pull aparts was they just were too heavy, and I will probably cut the rest of the loaf into slices. I will probably get the Pullman pan because I can see the advantage to it. Those nice thin slices you show are just what I need. But it is going to be my winter bread, I can tell you that!

Cheers,
    letoile

Letoile, thanks so much for your feedback – there’s more than one way to bake a loaf, eh? PJH

26. MGW960W

For those wanting to convert the large Pullman pan to the smaller size, I can suggest a way. Before I bought my smaller Pullman pan, I once made this very recipe in the larger pan with small “filler” bricks stuffed tightly into one end. I made the bricks by wrapping steel wool pads (plain, not with soap imbedded) with several layers of aluminum foil, and measured to get the right loaf length. That end of the loaf wasn’t as perfect as the other end, but it basically worked with the lid on. I’ve also made this bread in a standard nine inch loaf pan without a top. Eventually I bought the small Pullman pan, too. It’s worth it to have the perfect slices. I also use it for banana breads and other sweet loaves (without the top), since we like the smaller size slice. It’s good portion control.

Thanks a lot – good tip! PJH

27. dwhebh

I made this today using 1 1/2 times all ingredients except yeast (used 2 1/4 tsp.). I baked it in the large Pullman pan. It came out very well except it “sank” some in the middle as it cooled. It was at more than 190º when I took it out of the oven although the top had not browned much at all. It is great bread even if it doesn’t look perfect. Any suggestions on what may have caused the loaf to collapse some in the middle?

My pain de mie often develops a slight “swayback” appearance; my theory is that it’s just a bit too tender to hold its shape. I’d suggest baking it longer next time; try going to 205°F and see if that helps. Good luck – PJH

28. librarylady61

Saw this recipe and it is very similar to the Artisan Bread in 5 Oatmeal bread that my 12 yr old daughter likes so much she’s been eating bread and butter sandwiches for lunch most days (!) So I have just gotten a large pan de mie pan and am trying to see if I can get an even better sandwich loaf!

You’ll need to increase the ingredients in this recipe by about 50% (except the yeast), to bake in a 13″ x 4″ pain de mie, as it’s written for the 9″ x 4″ pain de mie… Glad your daughter’s enjoying the bread! PJH

29. "Joey D in LA"

Well PJ… have to say it… you once again hit it out of the park. My whole family loves the flavor of this one. Simple. Delicious. Our only complaint (if there is one) is the whole 13″ x 4″ versus 9″ x 4″ pan thing. Since I bought it from KAF a few years ago, I assumed your recipes were based on the pans you sold — not realizing you changed mfg a couple of years ago. My bad. Nice to see I wasn’t the only one who has the larger pan. 50% except for the yeast. Works for me. =)

Joey, we sell both sizes of pan – 9″ x 4″ and 13″ x 4″. And we offer recipes for both sizes – just not the same recipe for each size. I’m quite sure the 50% increase will work just fine… Thanks for your kind words – glad the bread’s a hit with your family! PJH

30. dtowns6926

I can confirm that the 50% increase in ingredients (except for yeast) will make a perfect loaf in the larger pan. I just received mine yesterday and today made a wonderful loaf, with a twist. After reading the entire blog before retiring yesterday I knew just what to do today, so what do you know…I mixed up only the dough in the original recipe and forgot to expand it 50%. It was after the 20 min rest that I realized my mistake and decided to mix up the additional dough and add them together. I did this and combined them (without allowing the new dough to rest) and began kneading immediately. That went well and upon passing the windowpane test I put it to proofing. That went well also and I shaped the loaf and placed it in the pan. I needed to return after a 15min rest to push it further into the corners, then managed to fall a little behind with the preheating. The bread was about 1/2 inch from the lid when it went in the oven, but no problem, it filled up the pan perfectly and made a great loaf. It needed about 35 mins with the lid on and about 8 mins with it off to come up to 195 degrees. It was a big hit. We love it. I wish I’d bought the pan 5 years ago (when I first wanted to).

Thanks for reporting your results here – I’ll add them to the recipe. I love it when we all work on recipes together! PJH

31. sallybr

I know it’s been a while, but just in case I wanted to share with you my results for this bread – TWO THUMBS WAY UP!

I made a blog entry about it, in case you want to take a look

THat was my first time using the pain de mie pan that I bought after reading your blog entry – thanks for the push in the right direction…. ;-)

Nice looking bread, Sally! Thanks for featuring the recipe in your blog – we’re glad you “succumbed” to the pan. You’ll find yourself trying all kinds of recipes in it… Enjoy – PJH

32. sunfire

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Soooooooo good that no butter was “kneaded”…..sorry, bet you get that all the time! I will post a photo on my photos……the only problem? I had was that I believe had it not been for my turning on the oven from the first rise, and all the way along, [keeping the bowl & unlidded pan in the vicinity of the heat] this bread may have not progressed. I saw almost no rise in the bowl, and likewise, it took more like 2 hours to rise in the pan. I wasn’t sure 2-1/2 hours would be ok so I baked it probably @ 1-1/2″ from the top of the pan. In the end, as you instructed, it only slightly hit the top of the pan, however, it did reach 195 degrees and the taste is phenomenal. I looked @ every aspect of your directive and the only thing different is that my dough after the first mix didn’t look as wet as yours…….even though I did use the additional 2 tbl of water. I used a dough hook to mix……would that be a problem? I know I will be making this again and again and will probably opt for the large pain de mie. But can you tell me what I may have goofed on? Up ontil now, I have been a strictly “Artisan Breads in Five Minutes A Day” person and am a novice @ this. Thanks!
    It could be that you had a little too much flour in your dough. If the dough is stiff (from too much flour or not being kneaded enough), it can make it very hard for the yeast to work through the tough dough. When you measure your flour, do you dip directly into the bag or do you lightly spoon it into a cup? If you dip right into the bag, you can end up with 20% more flour than you need. Did you make any other changes to the recipe–quick oats vs. rolled oats? Give us a call on the Baker’s Hotline and we’ll be happy to help troubleshoot for you! ~Mel

33. PJHA

Hi, Joey D- I’m really glad you like this oatmeal pain de mie recipe. My bread sometimes develops that “swayback” look, too; it’s due to too much liquid in relation to the flour in your recipe. When the seasons change, the air becomes more or less humid. In summer, you need to add a bit less liquid to your bread recipe. In winter, a bit more. So your yeast bread recipe will always be somewhat of a work in progress, as you respond to different seasons and weather conditions. Baking is as much art as science; so long as you’re flexible, your bread will be just fine. And Joey, if you run into any more challenges, you know where to find us; live chat on kingarthurflour.com, or our baking hotline, 802-649-3717; or right here in blog comments. Happy baking! PJH

34. PrayzGod

I am new to making bread. I tried this in a 13x4x4 pan, I adjusted the ingredients to fit the pan, I read in one of the comments not to increase the yeast, but not until after I made it. It turned out really well, but it was more dense than I had hoped for, I wanted something lighter like sandwich bread. I also made the mistake of using KA Bread Flour instead of KA All-Purpose flour. Can anyone suggest the changes I should make or point me to a good sandwich bread recipe that would work great in the 13x4x4 pan :) I liked the oats and honey. Thanks so much for any advice!

Stacey

Stacey, I think the issue was you used bread flour, which threw off the flour/liquid ratio. Also, maybe you were expecting something different than what this recipe produces: which is a close-grained (dense), moist sandwich bread. Think Pepperidge Farm or Arnold, not Wonder. Next time, use KA all-purpose flour; keep the dough on the moist side; and let it rise until it’s within 3/4″ or so of the lid before baking. If it’s still not to your liking, try our Vermont Whole Wheat Oatmeal Honey Bread, which is VERY popular with lots of our readers. (Substitute brown sugar for maple sugar if you like.) Enjoy – PJH

35. Sharon

I just made this loaf the second time with the correct flour/measurements and it turned out great even without the pullman pan! My only question is can I freeze half the loaf since it will go stale before we finish the entire thing and I hate to waste food?! Thank you!
    Yes, absolutely. Freezing the loaf for up to three months is fine. ~Amy

36. Jackie

Quick oats are pretty much all I have in the cupboard on a daily basis. What effect would using those have on the recipe?

Should be just fine, Jackie – go for it. PJH

37. Susan B.

I love this recipe but it is a little sweet for my taste. Any way to use less honey? Would I need to replace that amount of moisture?

Sure, Susan, you can definitely use less (or no) honey – replace each tablespoon of honey you omit with 1/2 tablespoon water. That should work – PJH

38. Bella

Love this bread! What is the best method to freeze it? Thanks!

Bella, for sandwich bread, I like to slice it, and freeze the slices packed 4 or 5 to a package, tightly wrapped in plastic; then the plastic-wrapped packages placed in an airtight plastic bag. When you want just 1 or 2 slices, open whichever package is on top, remove what you want, repackage, and reseal in the bag. That way the entire loaf isn’t exposed to air each time you want a single slice. If you want to freeze the entire loaf at once because you plan on eating it quickly once it’s thawed, simply wrap well in plastic wrap, then in an airtight bag. PJH

39. Jackie

“Cool completely before cutting”…..Hah!!! :)

Gobbling down my second warm slice as I type. This is the first loaf I’ve baked in my new 13″ pan and as usual you guys have not failed to impress. I have yet to make a KAF recipe that didn’t come out well.

I too can vouch that doubling everything but the yeast works like a charm.

Ohhhh, the melting butter… the warm bread… you’re killin’ me, Jackie! Thanks for sharing – about the doubling the recipe, too. PJH

40. jsglick

I’m with Jackie. Just finished the warm first slice and have to control myself or I might eat it all now!! Just love it. I make only one change, and that is I use 100% KA White Whole Wheat flower instead of All Purpose Flour.
    Love your site, recipes,and education. Yeast paper was great.
    Also love your pans.
    Keep up the good work
    Jon

Thanks, Jon – isn’t it nice finding a whole wheat bread recipe you can really embrace? Glad we could help – PJH

41. AnneInWA

PJ-

I make this bread regularly and it ALWAYS comes out perfect! I make it just as you have written it, but also with substituting 1/2 c oat flour as well. For the honey I like using a Hawaiian Flower Honey (Millers brand), and it gives the bread such a sweet note, it is perfect for PB & J. Thanks again PJ for this recipe. Keep them coming!

Anne In WA

42. AnneInWA

PJ-

Just a quick note about the 13 x 4 pain de mie pan…when baking I have found that it takes a bit longer to bake. I keep the lid on for 35 minutes, and then take it off and bake for about 7 min longer. I thought that this might help those who are baking this loaf in the larger pan. Also the 1.5 x the recipe works perfectly for the pan.

Thanks PJ!

Anne in WA

43. ~Sammie~

Just made two 13×4 pain de mie loaves that turned out awesome! Tripled all ingredients but only doubled the yeast (guessed), kneaded using a stand mixer for 20 minutes. Because of the high humidity in my area, I usually have trouble with sticky doughs but this dough was easy to handle. Made two loaves since I KNEW husband would not be able to resist cutting into a warm loaf of bread! We now have a whole loaf for sandwiches, the remainder of the first loaf for toasting. I’m a novice at yeast breads and am so pleased with myself!!! Thank you for the fantastic recipe, will have to try others on your website.
    Your intuition was correct, Sammie. You do not have to double or triple the yeast when expanding a recipe. In fact, usually 2 1/4 t. or one packet is enough to leaven 12 cups of flour. It may take a while but the flavor will have more depth. But, increasing the yeast (and salt for that matter) by half would of suited your needs just fine. Glad everything came out so well! Elisabeth

44. Menzrob

Great flavor, but turned out too dense for sandwiches. Maybe I should have let it rise longer than 90 minutes?

If your bread was too dense, then it is possible that your dough may have been a little dry. Feel free to give the Baker’s Hotline a call if you would like to talk about the recipe!-Jon 855-371-2253

45. Monica

I just made this loaf of bread tonight and I made two substitutions, I used milk and active dry yeast (did not have any of the instant yeast but will remedy that soon!). It is currently rising (hopefully). I am new to baking and I struggle with knowing how much to knead. I knead everything by hand; how long would I need to knead it? What is the consistency that I’m looking for that tells me that I have kneaded it sufficiently.

1. MaryJane Robbins

Hi Monica,
      To test your gluten development when you are kneading, you’ll do what we call the “doorbell” test. Flour your pointer finger, and give your ball of dough a quick press, like you are ringing a doorbell. When you pull your finger away, the depression should spring back and fill in. If the depression from your finger remains, or only fills back in sluggishly, you’ve got more kneading to do.

For the texture of the dough, you want it moist and tacky to the touch, like touching a piece of tape. You want a little stickiness left. Wetter doughs rise much easier than drier doughs, so use extra flour only if your dough is really wet and gluey.

Hope this helps! ~ MJ

46. Monica

Thanks MJ!! The loaf that I made was DELICIOUS but crumbly, when this one is gone (which will be one day more at the most!) I will attempt another loaf with your kneading instructions. Thank you, this helps a lot!
    Monica

47. Corri

Made this recipe in the large pan and substituted 1c of Irish Whole Meal flour for 1c of the AP. I also reduced the oats to 1c. Really nice, chewy texture. A bit more dense than the white recipe but terrific flavor and toasts perfectly. Nice way to get the nutritional benefit from the whole meal, too! Yum…

Corri, love these tweaks – Sounds like it would be awesome toasting bread. Thanks for sharing – PJH

48. Heather

this recipe fits all my requirements. easy, honey, oats and that “new’ pan I got last year and have only used once! I would love to make more homemade bread and I think this would work great for sandwhiches to take to school!!!! thanks!

49. Cristen

This bread was delicious. I am shoveling it in my mouth as I type this … couldn’t even let it cool. It smelled delicious as it was baking.

A bread machine is always an option or the dough can be mixed and kneaded by hand! Jon@KAF

50. Frank Krueger

Can I use my sourdough yeast starter (I cup) with this recipe and reduce the amount of instant starter and unbleached flour?

Sure, Frank, give it a try. Reduce the water in the recipe by 1/2 cup, and the all-purpose flour by 1 cup. If your starter is very active, you could try reducing the instant yeast to 2 teaspoons, and see how it goes. Good luck – PJH

51. "Burnt Thumbs"

I have tried this now three times using new yeast each time but can not get it to rise in the oven. It does very good in the bowl as far as doubling but falls flat when put in the pan and when it makes its second rise it doesn’t do much. Tried increasing yeast no luck changed flour no luck. I am stuck. This is my first effort in using this kind of pan.

Hi there!

I don’t think the pan itself is an issue, but it sounds like you may be using a “rapid rise” or “bread machine” yeast which is quite common in grocery stores and will only have enough energy to complete one rise. If that is the case then you may find switching to any other basic “instant” or “active-dry” yeast may solve your problem. If you are already using one of those basic yeasts, then I would guess your problem may relate to over-proofing in which case you just need to proceed with your recipe following the first and second rises a little sooner. If you would like to talk through the recipe, we would love to chat with you about it on our Baker’s Hotline at 1-855-371-2253 and we can figure out how to get you a beautiful pain de mie loaf the next time around. Happy Baking! Jocelyn@KAF

52. Shanan

I have made all 3 of the smaller pain de mie recipes. The whole wheat is in the oven now. They taste delicious but all 3 have risen much faster than the recipes say. Much faster! It makes the lid hard to get on and off. I use the red Saf yeast. I have switched to cold water instead of lukewarm but it still gets away from me.

Your kitchen must be very friendly to yeast! Try cutting back by 1/2 teaspoon and see if that helps. Good luck – PJH

Sure, just make sure to increase the water by 1 tablespoon per cup of whole wheat. Jon@KAF

53. Dee

I would love to try this recipe! Just two questions:
    1. Can I use a regular loaf pan or is it a must to use a pain de mie?
    2. Can I substitute molasses for the honey?

Thank you!

This recipe can be made in a 9×5 loaf pan if you do not have the pain de mie. Feel free to use molasses, but it will greatly change the flavor and color of the bread. Jon@KAF

54. RobM

From reading through some of the posts it looks like I can substitute regular yeast for the instant yeast. Am I correct? Has anyone tried this on this recipie?

1. Susan Reid

Hi, Rob. We’ve done lots and lots of side by side tests, baking the same recipe with instant and active dry yeast, using them in just the same way. The active dry yeast loaf is a teeny bit slower to get moving on its first rise, but catches up. No difference in the final products. Go to it! Susan

55. David G Epstein

As with so many of your bread recipes, this one refused to rise as indicated. I let it rise all night, and put it in a loaf pan, and let it rise all day, but it still did not reach within an inch of the top. It smelled wonderful while baking, but the result was doughy and flat. I must be doing something wrong, but I haven’t a clue what it is.

David, what kind of yeast are you using? “As with so many of your bread recipes” – if you’re finding our recipes uniformly don’t rise, it would seem to point to an issue with ingredients. I think it would be best for you to call our hotline, 855-371-2253 – this kind of issue benefits by real-time dialogue. Thanks for connecting here – PJH

56. David G Epstein

The hotline’s advice did the trick. I proofed the yeast and went by weight instead of volume. Did the trick. It rose and baked as indicated.

Thank you, Bakers’ Hotline.