Gluten-Free Morning Glory Muffins: A Meal from Mother Nature

GF-MorningGloryMuffinsC13W

I have three children who always roll out of bed at the very LAST minute, first dragging to get dressed, then pulling themselves up to the breakfast table with 5 minutes to spare, all messy haired and bleary eyed.

And then they say, “Mom, what’s for breakfast?”

I tell them they can have anything that they can eat in the car because we have to LEAVE!

With school out for the year, you’d think we’d be able to sit back and relax – sleep in a little, even. But NO! We’re bound to need to be on time for something almost every day; whether it be camp, swimming lessons, or to get on the road for the next chapter of summer family vacation!

Throwing buttered toast into their hands as they juggle backpacks and fumble with their shoelaces doesn’t give me a job-well-done kind of feeling, since I know they’ll just be hungry again in a half hour or so. While the best solution would be for them to get up on time, I have to work with what I’ve got!

Muffins are one of the most popular on-the-go foods. They’re substantial, portable, and a true kid-pleasing breakfast for those scattered mornings when your family is racing against the clock, trying to find favorite shirts, the right bathing suit, and that darned missing sock! If you can shove muffins into their hands somewhere in that chaos, you’ve AT LEAST got the eating thing covered.

You don’t want that first meal of the day to be a flop, so why not make them Morning Glory Muffins, stocked full of healthful foods like carrots, coconut, fruit, and nuts? They’ll have the muffins and you’ll know they’re eating foods from the earth. It’s a win-win. And YES, they’re gluten-free, too!

Preheat your oven to 375°F and grease 10 cups of a 12-cup muffin pan, or line with muffin papers. Soak 1/2 cup raisins by covering them in hot water; set aside.

Whisk the following together in a bowl:

1 cup King Arthur Gluten-Free Multi-Purpose Flour
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ginger
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
1/4 teaspoon salt

Stir the following into the dry mixture:

1 cup peeled, grated carrots
1/2 cup grated apple (about 1/2 of a large apple) OR 1/2 cup drained, crushed pineapple
1/2 cup grated coconut, sweetened or unsweetened
1/2 cup chopped walnuts

Whisk together and add:

2 large eggs
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 teaspoon gluten-free vanilla extract
2 tablespoons water

Finally, stir the soaked, drained raisins into the batter.

Using a muffin scoop, scoop the batter into the prepared pan. Each well will be almost full.

Bake the muffins for 25 to 28 minutes, or until the tops spring back lightly when pressed, and they’re a nice, dark golden brown.

These muffins have the most beautiful dome!

Within the first few minutes of removing the muffins from the oven, tilt them on their sides in the wells of the pan to prevent them from steaming as they cool.

Once they’ve cooled a few minutes, you can transfer them to a cooling rack to cool completely – or eat them still warm!

GF-MorningGloryMuffinsC13W

I certainly feel great about the ingredients in Morning Glory Muffins, whether they’re a snack after that soccer game, or the meal that starts the day for my family.

The best thing about these muffins? They’re amazingly flavorful and moist, and kids love ‘em! Go ahead, exchange the walnuts for sunflower seeds or the raisins for cranberries! Make them into mini muffins! Whatever you do, make them your own and get going on that whirlwind of healthy summer fun!

Please read, bake, and review our recipe for Gluten-Free Morning Glory Muffins.

Amy Trage

Amy Trage is a native of Vermont where she spent much of her childhood skiing and training for the equestrian event circuit. With a strong desire to pursue food writing, Amy took her English degree from Saint Anselm College to the New England Culinary Institute ...

comments

1. Lizz

Hi!

These muffins sound fantastic, except I don’t need them to be gluten free. Can I use the same amount of regular all purpose flour in place of the GF flour? Can I also omit the xanthan gum as well?

Thanks!

1. Barbara Gilbert

Gluten free is not a fad to those who are intolerant to gluten or have celiacs disease. You may wish to avoid gluten free recipes if they annoy you, but they are a blessing to those who must find an alternative to foods containing gluten.

2. MaryJane Robbins

Thanks for sharing, Barbara. It is hard when a genuine condition is “adopted” by the media and made into a game. For those who know the hardships, it just makes things trickier. We’re glad we can support our GF fellow bakers, keep those new ideas coming gang! ~ MJ

3. Brenda

Laureen,

You need to read the book Wheat Belly by Dr. William Davis. It is not a fad! I’m convinced it is the reason for many health conditions that so many people are suffering from. I’ve see this in my own immediate family. Read this book for your own health PLEASE.

Brenda

4. Nancy H

Gluten free recipes are also useful for those of us who are allergic to wheat, which is not the same as either gluten intolerance or celiac disease, but more common than you might think.

5. Donna Lynch

The Hollywood crowd has made gluten free a fad. Believe, If I did not have Celiac I would not be eating gluten free.My health has improved so much in the last 5 yrs. I wouldn’t even think about going back to a regular diet even though it would make my grocery bill much less.

2. Sabrina Newton

I have suffered from severe eczema all of my life
    My gluten-free diet has now changed my life!
    My eczema is GONE! It doesn’t just help people with Celiacs.
    Thank you KAF for all the gluten free products and recipes you produce!
    Keep them coming :)

3. Mary Gumber

Thank you King Arthur! It is so wonderful that you are formulating
    Gluten free recipes. Now my son-in-law and grandson can have a variety of sweets! They both have celiac disease so it is a matter of health. I have been experimenting with my recipes, sometimes good and sometimes not so good. Due to your testing it will be a pleasant “no brainer”.

4. Laura

Personally I am incredibly grateful for the so-called gluten free “fad”. As someone with multiple food allergies (including wheat), having an increased range of options has drastically improved my life. If you are lucky enough not to have dietary restrictions please think of me (and others like me) when you are counting your blessings.

5. Susan Wyman

I own a copy of Wheat Belly. While I know that gluten allergy is a serious problem for some (including two members of my family), we need to be wise enough to realize that not everyone benefits from a gluten-free diet. I have been researching nutritious breads for decades and I now have a small Artisan Bread business. I sell both GF and 100% whole grain products. My GF customers think I am a great blessing to them in providing good tasting breads at last, (which I bake on a separate day.) But many customers are putting themselves on GF diets because they are believing all the hype which has turned into the latest fad. Truth be told, if you are not sensitive to gluten, your health will be much better if you focus on 100% whole grains. For thousands of years, these have always been the Staff of Life.

6. Danielle Anner

I am so grateful for this recipe! Celiac Disease runs in my husband’s family, and when my father in law was diagnosed 20 years ago, things were terribly hard. People who didn’t understand the nature of the disease were inclined to let him “live a little” by slipping him food that had gluten in it. I’m inclined to help my husband “live a little” also, by following the many gluten free recipes available to me, possibly as a result of this “fad”.

7. Jim MacDuff

I had a hacking cough for many years and ended up in the hospital for other reasons. My blood test came back with certain markets that point to celiacs. I went to a specialist that did a specific blood test and I was diagnosed with Celiiacs. Now that I’m GF my cough went away and my health has improved. I wish it was just a “fad” but I’m glad KAF has made such a great GF flour. It is getting easier to find GF restaurants and foods.

8. Gene Hill

A question about substitutions to accommodate someone on a GF diet with additional needs. The brown sugar and raisins are a problem. I plan to substitute dried cranberries for the raisins and assume that will work with the same quantityk. But what about the brown sugar? Is there a recommended substitute that will work?

The cranberries in place of raisins will work great. You may use granulated sugar in place of brown sugar. The final product will not taste have that molasses like flavor that brown sugar provides. If this is not a good substitute, please let us know what kind of sweeteners you may have. We also have a hotline you are free to call, 1-855-371-BAKE. Elisabeth @ KAF

9. Gene Hill

Thanks for the response. It is the sugar that is a problem. He uses Stevia as his sugar substitute in his controlled GF diet. That might work to add the appropriate sweetness for this recipe,but not the flavor or the texture. suggestions?

I’m sorry to say that we really don’t delve too much into sugar alternatives for our recipes. You can certainly give xylitol or maltitol a try for your baking. Jon@KAF

10. Jen McGeath

Made these tonight. They are excellent and very closely resemble the non-GF ones I used to make. Even my husband agrees and those were his fave. Moist and full of texture. I used minced apples and subbed dried cherries for raisins. Made 12 in my silicone muffin cups. I will be making these a lot going forward. Will try with chopped fresh cranberries at Christmas. A keeper recipe indeed.