- To make the crust: In a medium-sized mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, salt and sugar.
- Using a pastry blender, pastry fork, your fingers or a mixer, cut in the butter and shortening, leaving pea-sized crumbs.
- Sprinkle the crumbs with enough ice water to make them cohesive. Squeeze them into a ball, wrap with plastic wrap, and chill at least 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Roll the pastry into a 12" circle, and place it in a 9" pie plate. Crimp the edges, and chill the crust while you're preparing the filling.
- To make the filling: In a medium-sized mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, sugar, salt, maple syrup, melted butter and maple flavor.
- Stir in the nuts and pour the filling into the prepared crust.
- Bake the pie on the bottom rack of the preheated oven for 15 minutes. Lower the oven temperature to 350°F and bake for an additional 25 to 35 minutes, or until the center is set.
- Refrigerate for up to 5 days.
Tips from our Bakers
- Need some tips to make your pies perfect? Check out our Pie Baking Guide