The original sausage cheese biscuit: Scone. Biscuit. Whatever.

I have a confession to make. I’m a fool for melted cheese. The lava-flow of Gruyère oozing from a just-cut stuffed loaf; the stretchy strings of mozzarella dangling from a hot slice of pizza; warm Parmesan and fontina enclosed in cannelloni. I admit, they all make my heart beat just a little faster.

And not from cholesterol overload. I’m one of those fortunate people genetically programmed to eat cheese, and lots of it. I’m Norwegian, from Wisconsin; a certified Cheesehead. My grandmother drank her coffee with heavy cream, never shied away from a creampuff (Wisconsin’s unofficial state dessert), and enjoyed cheese in every imaginable fashion, 7 days a week. She lived to be 102 years old.

Not that I espouse a high-fat diet. Though I enjoy cheese every day at breakfast, it’s low-fat cheese. And at lunch, the cheese on my salad is feta or part-skim mozzarella. That tempting triple-crème St. André or oozing Camembert? Reserved for special occasions.

But what about regular full-fat (but not ultra-high-fat) cheese? Like extra-sharp cheddar, or Asiago? You don’t want to overdo, quantity-wise. But their assertive flavors make them the perfect “baking condiment”—a delicious enhancement to savory muffins, biscuits, or breads. A shower of Parmesan atop hot focaccia isn’t going to bring the nutrition police to your door; but oh, what a happy burst of flavor it adds to that bread!

The following biscuits—a.k.a. scones—are a great example of cheese as condiment. With just 1/5 of an ounce of cheese per serving, these are well within what your diet can handle. Even the sausage (less than 1 ounce per serving) isn’t a deal-breaker. And their flavor is out of this world.

Oh, and what about this scone/biscuit confusion? Here in America, scones and biscuits are pretty much the same thing (we’ll leave Great Britain out of this discussion for the time being). Scones are basically a dressed-up biscuit: sweetened, often including extras (nuts, chips, fruit), and usually cut in wedges, rather than circles. But in the end, butter-enriched, baking powder-leavened siblings under the skin.

Are you hungry? Let’s make Sausage and Cheese Biscuits. Or scones.

img_5896.JPG

I know, I know, I show you this Pizza Dough Flavor all the time. And that’s because I use it all the time. It’s a truly wonderful ingredient for all kinds of savory baked treats, from pizza crust (obviously) to bread to scones and rolls and bread sticks and, yes, biscuits.

img_5865.JPG

I’ve always loved the look of this Colby/Monterey Jack clone from Cabot. Which, if you haven’t seen it, is a farmer-owned cooperative here in Vermont, producing a wide range of award-winning cheeses. Including low-fat cheeses that are, surprisingly, quite tasty.

img_5866.JPG

Cut the cheese in slices.

img_5867.JPG

Then stack the slices, and cut them in sticks. Turn the sticks 90°, and cut them into cubes. Does it matter how big you make the cubes? No. Clearly you don’t want huge 1” chunks in your scones, but don’t fuss too much; 3/8” to 1/2” is a nice size.

img_5868.JPG

So here’s your cheese. The Holstein pattern is kind of cute, yes?

img_5863.JPG

And here’s 3/4 lb. of link sausage, nicely browned.

img_5869.JPG

Cut into slices. Again 3/8” to 1/2” is a good size. And a pair of scissors will make quick work of this chore.

img_5870.JPG

Cheese diced, sausage sliced… let’s make biscuits.

img_5871.JPG

Whisk together unbleached all-purpose flour (King Arthur, of course; it does make a difference); baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add cold butter, cut in pats or chunks.

img_5873.JPG

Once the butter has been roughly mixed in (leaving a few largish, marble-sized chunks), add the cheese and sausage.

img_5875.JPG

Then the dairy—you have your choice of buttermilk, yogurt, or sour cream. Here, I’m using homemade yogurt. I find homemade isn’t as assertively acidic in your baked goods as store-bought.

img_5877.JPG

Stir it in to make a sticky dough…

img_5879.JPG

…which you can deposit right onto a piece of parchment. Or, barring that (but if you don’t yet have any parchment in your kitchen — why not?!), onto a lightly greased baking sheet.

img_5880.JPG

Pat into a rough rectangle. It’ll be about 8” x 10”, slightly smaller than a standard sheet of paper; about 3/4” thick.

img_5881.JPG

Take a knife, rolling pizza wheel, baker’s bench knife, or your other favorite cutting implement, and cut 2” squares.

img_5882.JPG

I decided to do an experiment. Separate half the squares; leave the other half connected. Here are the ones I pulled apart.

img_5883.JPG

Brush with melted butter. Or not. I’m a fan of melted butter on top of just about anything.

img_5884.JPG

Bake. The cheese will ooze; that’s just fine. In fact, it’s aspiration, not aggravation.

img_5885.JPG

And here’s the result of the experiment. No difference in pulling them apart, other than that the scones on the right had crispier sides, and the oozing cheese had a chance to get crusty.

img_5894.JPG

Nice, light texture, tender and moist.

img_5945.JPG

Serve warm with your breakfast eggs or grits. Or a fruit salad. Or just grab one as you’re heading out the door—consider it a shortcut breakfast sandwich. A warm, melty-cheesy, spicy sausage-y right out of your own oven sausage biscuit.

Read, rate, and review (please!) our recipe for Sausage Cheese Biscuits.

Buy vs. Bake

Buy: Jimmy Dean Sausage, Egg, and Cheese Biscuit, 4.9-oz., $2.99, 61¢/ounce

Bake at home:  Sausage & Cheese Breakfast Scones, 15¢/ounce

comments

1. Sue

One of those with a glass of O.J. would really hit the spot! I”d have a hard time choosing between baking them closer together or farther apart. No doubt I would love them both ways, and then I would have to sample both ways. And, then I’d have to work off the extra calories I consumed from all the sampling. :-)

2. Jen

Why no parchment? Silpat! I use silpat for most baking, with very few exceptions (lining circular cake pans being the only one I can think of right now). Much less expensive, and ecologically sound.

Other than that, those biscuits (scones?) look amazing. In my little world, a biscuit should be round. I never have much luck with biscuits, actually. Not sure why. Maybe I’ll give these a shot.

3. Mike T.

And for those of you that are undecided:

Parchment:

Silicone mat:

I have them both and use them both. Typically if I’m doing a lot of baking (read: cookie time!) I use parchment. For one batch of cookies, or scones, I use the silicone.

These look soooo good PJ!!! I’m still doing my nutrition program, but it allows for cheese and meat (well, I can get away with the sausage if I’m extra good that day), the only issue is all of that flour. What would you suggest for a whole wheat variant? 20% white whole wheat? 25%?

Mike, I think maybe 1/3 would be a good sub; they’ll be somewhat denser, but should be OK, esp. if you use white wheat. Thanks for the links!! Hope you had a good trip home – PJH

4. Denise

Oh my goodness!! Those look fantastic!! I know what I’ll be baking this weekend! I know my family will flip for these. I did have a couple of questions. How do you get your dough to separate so cleanly? Whenever I make scones, the dough always sticks to the parchment when I go to separate it. Of course, this causes it to lose it’s shape and I have to try to reshape them. My wedges usually turn out as blobs, tasty but not very attractive.

Also, this may be a dumb question, but would you refrigerate any leftovers since it has sausage in it? Could you reheat them in the microwave?

I can’t wait to try this out!

Hi Denise – spray your parchment with non-stick vegetable oil spray, or flour it – either will work to prevent sticking.

And, NOT a dumb question; I often wonder myself whether, say, pepperoni pizza should be refrigerated. I’d refrigerate any leftovers of these, and microwave for maybe 8-10 seconds or so to “refresh,” RIGHT before serving. Enjoy – PJH

5. marielle

Oh good grief I need to read this in the morning or late at night so I stand a chance at baking the delicious recipes instead of fogging up my laptop screen.

6. cindy leigh

Anther great use for my homemade fat free yogurt! When I do use it in a scone recipe, I add a bit of dried buttermilk because I like the buttermilk taste.
    I used to make something similar to these in my “super snacker”. Remember those gadgets, first on infomercials and then in stores, that cook and seal food into triangle shapes? You can make sealed sandwiches or apple pie filling in bread slices with them? My kids loved that machine.
    I made breakfast biscuits by making a bisquick mixture that was thicker than pancake batter but looser than bisuits. I’d put half in the super snacker, and then add (low fat) cheddar and (low fat turkey) breakfast sausage, cooked and sliced or crumbled. Then more batter, then seal and cook. Delicious and i think a very similar end result to your breakfast biscuits. They were a huge hit with the kids and easy to eat while languishing with the Sunday paper.
    hmmm….. I think my oldest kid took that super snacker machine to college……..
    Thanks for another great recipe!

Cindy, I do indeed remember that snack machine. I never had one, but always wanted to try it. Bet it’s getting a good workout at college! PJH

7. forgottenone

Excellent. Breakfast ideas are hard at my house. Typically I make and freeze waffles. We recently got started on scones, which seem to be a great hit. This takes them to a new level. I think my kids will like these. We’ll be trying this out! Thanks!

8. Patti

Yummy. Could you use shredded cheese? It’s a staple in our house, but we buy sliced and shredded, not usually block. Just wondering if I need an extra trip to the store, or if I could just use the shredded. Thanks.

Sure, Patti, shredded will just disperse more evenly (and be less melty). AND just as delicious! Go for it – PJH

9. PJM

We are vegetarian, but I have very fond memories of sausage gravy & biscuits growing up. I’m not a big fan of fake meat, but I think we’ll try this with veggie sausage for a treat. Thanks for the great idea.

10. Susan

How cool are you? I’ve been kinda looking for a sausage and cheese breakfast scone; we used to be able to stop for ham and cheese scones on the way to work, but a schedule change made that impossible. I think I’ll be trying these this weekend with bulk sausage and shredded cheese (since I have those on hand). Yay, you!

YAY, you back, Susan. Bakers RULE. PJH

11. Jackie

These do look tasty, and a great quick morning meal– are they very crumbly while you’re eating them? Like, could they be an eat-and-go item, or do you need to have a plate to avoid crumbs all over your work clothes? :)

I’ll make them either way, just the answer might determine sooner rather than later.

Jackie, they’re more chunky-crumbly than crumby-crumbly, if you get my drift (of crumbs…) They’re more likely to break off in chunks rather than little crumbs. I think you could manage one on the drive to work, with a napkin in your lap. But don’t quote me – you’re not supposed to eat breakfast while you’re driving, right? :) PJH

12. Mike T.

Hmm, hadn’t thought of that (Super Snacker)…. I have one and I’ve used it for various things like cheese and sausage sandwiches… But, I think they would compress the scones instead of letting them become light and airy… Hmmm, I may take a small bit of the batter and…. Hmmm….
    :-)

13. Nicole Shugars

I have some of the Pizza Dough flavor in my cupboards but it has clumped up. Any suggestions for “unclumping” or should I just order a new supply?

Nicole, that sometimes happens to mine if I haven’t used it for awhile and it’s been humid. I chunk it up with a cleaver or knife, and put it in a mini food processor – that “powders” it up again. I’ve also found that transferring it to a glass jar (like a small pickle jar, or anything with a tight screw-on lid) keeps it better. Hope this works for you – PJH

14. Dana

I make these with crumbled sausage and sharp cheddar. They are fantastic and never last long. When I am in a hurry I don’t take the time to shape the dough, I just drop by the tablespoon onto the parchment paper and bake.

15. marie

Thanks-I had planned to do at home chores today,BUT now I must fit in a grocery store run. I think it’s going to be omelettes,salad and these beautiful scones for dinner tonight-YUM Sounds like a great comfort food meal. Mary @ KAF

16. Wendy

This looks terrific & thanks for the mention and photo – we’ve posted this recipe on our Facebook page. (And I am going to make it this weekend! Yum!)

17. Robbyn

I make a similar item with very sharp cheddar cheese and bacon, adding a bit of Worcestershire sauce to the liquid ingredients. They always go over well.

I’m going to have to try your sausage variation – sounds pretty darned good!

18. Ares

MMM…Sausage and cheese and buttery biscuits. Great recipe, I will make this for my wife tomorrow morning! You just helped me score a ton of points. THANKS!

19. Lee

I’ve just peeked at the pizza dough flavoring nutritional information on your website and was very, very sad to see that the first ingredient is “autolyzed yeast extract”. That is just another name for MSG (monodsodium glutamate) which is one of those ingredients that so many people have problems with. (check out truthinlabeling.org for a complete list of MSG names in food labels)

Lee, while autolyzed yeast extract and MSG derive from the same source (inactive yeast), they’re not the same thing. That said, folks who are allergic to MSG may experience the same symptoms with AYE; as well as with other free-glutamate-producing foods, such as peas, corn, Parmesan cheese, tomatoes, etc. Thanks for pointing this out. PJH

Lee, here’s what our test kitchen director, Sue Gray, has to say:

AYE is a flavoring made from dead yeast cells.
    It does contain free glutamate. It is not the same thing as MSG. Autolyzed yeast is a dough relaxer and
    gives flavor; we’re not trying to hide MSG.

Autolyzed yeast or autolyzed yeast extract consists of concentrations of
    yeast cells that are allowed to die and break up, so that the yeasts’
    digestive enzymes break their proteins down into simpler compounds.

Glutamate is an amino acid, found in all protein-containing
    foods. Amino acids are the building blocks of proteins. This
    amino acid is one of the most abundant and important components
    of proteins. Glutamate occurs naturally in protein-containing
    foods such as cheese, milk, mushrooms, meat, fish,
    and many vegetables. Glutamate is also produced by the
    human body and is vital for metabolism and brain function.

20. Sarah

I’ll be making these for the weekend. I am searching for snacks for my 12 year old eating machine. She’s ALWAYS hungry. These seem like they would pack a fat and protein punch.

21. Lee

I do want to say Yay! for a great sounding recipe (other than the pizza dough thingy) and Kudos for recommending Cabot cheese. I’ve had some dealings with their company – super nice people and mighty tasty cheese!
    About once a week or so I buy a pound or two of hormone-free ground turkey and make up a batch of sausage using (per pound) 1tsp each sea salt, sage, thyme and 1/2 tsp nutmeg and 1/4 tsp cayenne. I make it into patties and freeze them to fry up in the mornings with breakfast eggs. I think that just browning up 3/4 lb. of that mix would work just fine for this recipe. What do you think? It doesn’t have to be link sausage does it?
    This sounds like a good breakfast idea but also I think we’ll be using it to hand out to kids who need something before afternoon sports activities so they don’t get so famished before dinnertime!

That homemade sausage sounds delicious, Lee – go for it! And I like thinking of these as a “hold me till dinnertime” snack – great idea, thanks. PJH

22. Candie

I’m going to try with our local Portuguese sausgage – Linguica. My son comes home from school Monday and I need to refill the house.

23. Kimberly D

These look yummy……can they be frozen? There are just the two of us and that would be a lot to eat at once. If so before baking or after? and if baking them after they was frozen how long to bake them?
    How about bacon, cooked and diced before added them to this?

I make a cheese and garlic biscuit like those ones you get at that famous seafood restaurant, I just kept making them till I got the right taste.

Yes, Kimberly – freeze before baking, then bake frozen. Eyeball them – they’re done when they’re golden brown, which will take a few minutes longer, since they’re frozen. And bacon sounds like a great addition – go for it! – PJH

24. Peony Moss

Oh these sound sooooo good! We have a small family; would these freeze well, do you think?

Yes, Peony – freeze BEFORE baking, then bake frozen, just adding a bit more time. They’ll be just fine. PJH

25. Bridget

Oh My Goodness!!! From the looks of these, I don’t think I’d be able to eat them in moderation. ;) My husband would probably have to wrestle me for them!

26. Patty

PJ –

OH MY!!! Just when I thought you couldn’t possibly top yourself I found this! I will be making these early tomorrow morning. And, since I can just about guarantee that they’ll be my new favorite weakness, I’m going to hold you responsible for having to put off my diet for a little while longer. Oh well, life’s too short not to eat fabulous food from the KAF gurus.

Patty

I often use the “life’s too short,” line, Patty – and it’s true! Life’s too short not to enjoy an ice cream cone, chocolate cake… or sausage cheese biscuits. Go for it – PJH

27. A J

Yes this is a keeper for those who haven’t had them. They do
    freeze well. We often make double or triple batches in “ball”
    form, lay out on cookie sheet, freeze, then pop them in bags
    and take out and bake however many you need -as PJH said-just add to baking time. The squares would work the same way. It’s fun to experiment, too. My son’s fav…salsa in the mix…hotter the better:)

Ah, next time I’m adding salsa… thanks for the inspiration, AJ! PJH

28. Camille

I made these for breakfast this morning, and they were excellent! Instead of using regular sausage links, I cut up some turkey sausage patties to reduce the calorie count a bit. Yum!!!

29. Lesley

I don’t have the pizza flavoring. Will they be too bland without it? Is there something else I can/should be adding for flavor? We’ll be trying them tomorrow with turkey sausage either way. I’m sure they will be very flavorful either way. You could add some Parmesan cheese or asiago cheese and some herbs like oregano or basil if you wanted too. Mary @ KAF

30. Cindy Young

OOOOOOHHHHH! I can’t wait to try these! I love savory scones and appreciate your sharing this recipe. Would love to add calamata olives and feta for a mediteranean twist. Love the fact that you can shape & freeze these and bake off as needed – You all rock!

Thanks, Cindy – love how your imagination is already working and changing the recipe – PJH

31. Al

What a great way to use leftover Saturday breakfast sausage on Sunday morning. I’m thinking of making them a bit larger , splitting them and putting a fried egg in the middle.

Now there’s a sausage, cheese, and EGG biscuit for you – YUM! Thanks, Al – PJH

32. Beth

I made what I guess you can call a variation of these biscuits this morning, but also based on a recipe by Marcia Adams from her “Heirloom Recipes” for “Cheese Biscuits.” I would have added the pizza dough flavor if I had thought about it, but instead I used 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper. Her recipe called for thyme and rosemary, which didn’t sound appetizing to me, so I left that out. Her recipe (which uses 2 cups of flour not 3), calls for 1-1/2 tablespoons minced onion, and in addition to 1 cup of grated extra-sharp cheddar cheese, also 1/4 cup grated Parmesan. Instead of buttermilk (or yogurt/sour cream), her recipe called for 1 cup of heavy cream. I was short about 1/3 cup of heavy cream, so made up the balance with half-and-half.

The biscuits turned out great. I think the addition of the minced onions put these over the top (I used dried not fresh onions, by the way). My husband suggested adding cut up pepperoni slices next time. I bet they would be good, especially if I remember the pizza dough flavor . Pizza biscuits!!

Ooooh, Beth – pizza biscuits? You go, girl! PJH

33. Sandy

YUM!! I must make these, and soon! Here in NC we have the wonderful Neese’s brand sausage so plan to use this sausage and will cook up some slices and then cut them into smaller pieces. Neese’s Extra Sage sausage would be so good in these! Thanks for the fabulous recipe!

34. John

Make it this weekend & was as easy as it looks. However, I used “regular” supermarket sausage & cheese & I think I’ll up grade the quality of both & might use a apice of two next time, which will be soon.

35. Jackie Julty

I made this using half the recipe and small pieces of ham steak instead of the sausage, and they came out great. My husband had some for breakfast and I also had a piece. I’m sure that they will be gone by the time I get home from work as that he likes to have a small afternoon snack.

36. Lesley

We had these for breakfast yesterday. I used bulk turkey sausage and 2% cheddar to cut the fat content a bit. I threw in some parmesan per your suggestion. Everyone at the table was happy with the results. Thanks for a quick and easy breakfast treat!

37. Joyce

Hi PJ,
    Scones are my favorite things to make. I have tried making them with many different things but never thought about sausage and cheese. How yummy those must be. How lucky am I that I have some sausage meat all cooked and crumbled. I will try these tonight. I make all my scones in the Scone Pan that I bought from King Arthur. I’m sure they will be fine baked in the pan. As always, Thanks for another great idea.

Joyce

38. Bernard

Those biscuit/scones look delicious ! I am thinking of adding some chopped onion or even green onion to make it even more savory,
    do you think that will wiped out the sausage/cheese flavor too much ?
    Leaving the butter out is really good , I am counting the calories !!!

I think green onion would be just fine, Bernard – go for it! PJH

39. Cathy

These are so good, I’ve made them2x since I read about them here. We all love them here at our house and will be making them fairly often. (Growing teenage boys need their bellies fed)

40. Tonia

I’ve made Scones like these for years, usually use grated cheese and cooked Jimmy Dean sausage. I’ve even added chopped apple which is yummy.

41. Marilyn

I’ve also made these scones with chorizo, and also with Italian sausage and substituted a mix of grated mozzarella and romano cheese -they are delish in all variations.

I much prefer parchment to Silpat for most of my baking – Silpats don’t properly brown the bottoms, and are disappointing for anything that is enhanced by a crustier bottom.

42. Sherri

I just received the Vermont Cheese Powder, and this seems a good recipe to try it out! Any ideas how much powder to use as a substitute for the cubed cheese?

Try 1/4 to 1/3 cup, Sherri – should be quite tasty! PJH

43. Marcia

I bought Jimmy Dean hot sausage in a roll. Will brown and use half; save rest for next batch. Have Cabot cheese and plain (maybe vanilla) yogurt. I’ put that parchment on the pizza stone that lives in my oven.

I’ve bought a few Starbucks scones @ $$. Now I’ll play with this recipe and use Trader Joe’s dried cranberries or some of the blueberries I froze. I think that cinnamon mix I bought last winter would be good too.

No snow in ATL; just rain makes a perfect week end to bake. Freeze = Christmas breakfast.

44. Karen

I tried these with the crumbled sausage, diced cheese and a combo of yogurt and sour cream. My results were a very crumbly mixture that did not hold together and when baked was dry. I now have the pizza dough flavor on hand and am going to try with sliced Little Smokies and shredded Sharp cheese and buttermilk. Hoping I will have a better result! Will post!

Karen, if the dough is too crumbly to hold together, add more liquid – buttermilk, yogurt, plain milk, whatever. YOuneed to be able to squeeze it together and pat it out without a problem. Good luck on your succeeding batches! PJH

45. cbory4

I will try these and substitute bacon! Someone suggested serving them with apple butter, which really sounds good!
    Question: If I mix these at night, should I freeze them to bake them in the morning? Or can I refrigerate them and bake them in the morning?
    Thanks! Happy baking!

Either way would work. If you choose to freeze and bake add on a few extra minutes to the bake time. Enjoy! Elisabeth@KAF

I’m sorry this recipe didn’t turn out the way you expected, Ken. I think smaller chunks of cheese might help keep the cheese more contained within the dough. For more help troubleshooting this recipe, please call the Baker’s Hotline at 855-371-2253. Barb@KAF

46. edwinolliges

I have been baking these biscuits for the past 6 years, since the recipe was printed, at Christmas. I use bulk sausage, grated cheese and buttermilk. the one prblem I have had is the ” biscuits” do not have any rise to them, dense and not quite done, my opinion. Everyone else thinks they are wonderful. big family. Christmas tradition. any suggestions

Hmmm… Sounds like perhaps your baking powder isn’t quite up to snuff? Though if you’ve been having these same results for 6 years, that might be unlikely. Perhaps it’s the expectation of a high-rising, soft and fluffy biscuit that’s the problem; these are definitely denser than a typical biscuit, packed as they are with sausage and cheese. One thing I might suggest is trying diced cheese rather than grated; grated cheese tends to melt into the structure of the biscuit itself, weighing it down a bit. Anyway, glad your family likes them, no matter their texture! :) PJH