Never-fail popovers: fact or fiction?

img_9581

Is there anything so majestic, so amazing, as a popover?

Just five simple ingredients – flour, salt, milk, butter, and eggs – create a steam-filled wonder that magically bakes up to nearly triple its original size.

POP. You can actually see it happening before your eyes – if your oven has a window and you’re patient enough to stand and watch for 5 minutes or so.

Now, you may think something as simple-looking as a popover would be simple to prepare. A straightforward process. 1, 2, 3, Bob’s your uncle – popovers!

Not so fast. Popovers are sneaky-simple; they LOOK like there’s nothing to them, but oh, the side paths you can go down…

Make the batter in a blender; make it with a whisk. Beat till smooth and frothy; leave some lumps.

Everything should be at room temperature. Everything should be lukewarm. C’mon, it really doesn’t matter what temperature the ingredients are.

Butter the pan. Grease the pan with shortening. Grease with vegetable oil. Or bacon grease. Non-stick spray is fine.

Put the pan in a cold oven. Put it in a hot oven.

DON’T PEEK!

And that, my friends, is probably the only hard-and-fast rule for popovers – once you put them into the oven, DON’T OPEN THE DOOR until they’re nearly done; it lets in deflating drafts.

Over the years, I’ve made popovers using all the techniques above in various combinations. And, maybe I’m just lucky, but my popovers always seem to come out pretty well. They pop; they’re light/crisp outside, nicely eggy inside.

Sometimes they’re darker than I like, but in this latest go-around I found a solution to that – baking towards the bottom of the oven, and sliding a cookie sheet onto the highest oven shelf to shield their vulnerable tops.

So I’m convinced. This simple creation is, indeed, simple at heart – despite the way we try to complicate it.

Popovers are a wonderful vehicle for carrying other flavors, be it strawberry jam, lemon curd, or butter. Speaking of, let’s start by making some flavored butters.

img_8657.JPG

Maple  butter is wonderful with plain popovers. Nothing rivals the pure, strong flavor of Vermont Grade B maple syrup, a.k.a. “cooking maple.”

img_9461.JPG

Mix 1/2 cup softened butter (1 standard stick) with 2 tablespoons maple syrup, and 1/8 teaspoon salt. If you use salted butter, you can omit the added salt.

How about honey butter? Substitute honey for the maple syrup.

img_9462.JPG

Scoop the soft butter into a serving bowl.

img_4894.JPG

The folks at our retail store mix Vermont cheese powder with butter to make an incredibly easy, delicious spread.

img_9464.JPG

Mix 1/2 cup softened unsalted butter with 2 tablespoons Vermont cheese powder.

img_9465.JPG

Stir till smooth; place in a serving bowl.

img_9466.JPG

One more thing before we get started: all of your ingredients should be at warm room temperature. To warm ice-cold eggs from the fridge, place them in a cup of hot tap water for about 10 minutes.

At last – let’s get this show on the road.

First, start preheating your oven to 450°F. Position a rack on a lower shelf. The top of the fully risen popovers should be about midway up the oven. What you don’t want is for the tops of the popping popovers to be too close to the top of the oven, as they’ll burn.

img_9510.JPG

To make a dozen popovers, use a standard 12-cup metal muffin tin, one whose cups are close to 2 1/2” wide x 1 1/2” deep. Grease the pan thoroughly, covering the area between the cups as well as the cups themselves; Everbake pan spray is easy to use, and won’t leave any dark/sticky film on your pan.

Make sure the oven is up to temperature before you begin to make the popover batter.

img_9541.JPG

Put the following in a bowl:

4 large eggs; if they’re straight from the fridge, warm them in a cup of hot tap water for 10 minutes before cracking
1 ½ cups skim or low-fat milk
½ teaspoon salt
1 ½ cups (6 ¼ ounces) King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
3 tablespoons melted butter
¼ cup Vermont Cheese Powder, optional, for cheese popovers
img_9512.JPG

Whisk to combine.

Note: Our online recipe calls for you to whisk together the eggs and milk, then add the flour, then the butter. When making the popovers for this blog, I simply whisked everything together. Either way is fine.

img_9513.JPG

Scrape the bottom and sides of the bowl…

img_9542.JPG

…and whisk at high speed till frothy, about 30 seconds using an electric mixer.

Can you do this in a blender? Yes. Can you do this by hand? Yes. Just make sure the batter is light and bubbly, as pictured above.

img_9515.JPG

Want to make herbed popovers, or herbed cheese popovers? Add 1 ½ teaspoons Pizza Seasoning or your favorite dried herbs.

img_9520.JPG

Pour the batter into the muffin cups, filling them about 2/3 to 3/4 full.

Notice I added Pizza Seasoning to only half the batter; testing, testing…

img_9548.JPG

Make absolutely certain your oven is at 450°F. Place the pan on a lower shelf of the oven .

img_9550.JPG

Bake the popovers for 20 minutes without opening the oven door. Reduce the heat to 350°F (again without opening the door), and bake for an additional 10 to 15 minutes, until they’re a deep, golden brown.

If the popovers seem to be browning too quickly, position an oven rack at the very top of the oven, and put a cookie sheet on it (as I’ve done in the photo above), to shield the popovers’ tops from direct heat.

img_9583.JPG

If you plan on serving the popovers immediately, remove them from the oven, and stick the tip of a knife into the top of each, to release steam and help prevent sogginess. Slip them out of the pan, and serve.

img_9575.JPG

Ah, perfectly browned.

img_9554.JPG

VERY nice!

img_9532.JPG

Notice how the popovers will start to deflate fairly quickly.  this isn’t an issue, if you’re bringing them right from the oven to the table.

But if you want the popovers to hold their shape longer without deflating and settling quite as much, bake them for an additional 5 minutes (for a total of 40 minutes) IF you can do so without them becoming too dark. This will make them a bit sturdier, and able to hold their “popped” shape a bit longer.

img_9538.JPG

Notice the soft, eggy interior…

img_9562.JPG

…perfect for melting butter. Or cheese butter. Or honey butter, or maple butter.

img_9535.JPG

Here’s one of the herbed popovers.

img_9473.JPG

Here’s our mini popover pan; it’ll make about 18 popovers from this recipe. Our standard popover pan will make six big popovers, using this recipe.

Why use a popover pan?

img_9488.JPG

Note the open spaces between the wells; this allows each popover to expand without crowding into its neighbor. The result? Slightly greater “pop,” and a more uniform shape.

img_9496.JPG

Like this. Now THAT’S one good-looking popover!

Read, rate, and review (please) our recipe for Popovers.

comments

1. Dianne

Is there anyway these can work with whole grain pastry flour or white whole wheat (at least in part)?

Remember that the bran in a whole wheat flour will take up additional liquid. There is no reason not to experiement with an addition of whole wheat. Try starting with 25% to see how it influences the texture. Frank @ KAF.

2. Mike T.

Yum, Yum! I make these ALL THE TIME! Quick, easy, delicious… I’ve never tried the seasoning in them… I’ll have to do that next time! :-)

3. Bonnie

Beautiful! They are little pops of wonderful-ness. I can taste them right now. I like the tip about sticking a knife tip in to release steam and prevent sogginess. By the way, I moved about a month ago, and just got my popover pan unpacked……maybe it’s a SIGN :)

4. Mary Cay

I remember three little boys,crouched by the oven window,watching the popovers rise.Haven’t made any since the grew up!Will have to make a snall batch for DH and me.

5. Matt

Wonderful stuff! I commented on popovers a few years ago here with some science, and it’s all in here. The real key is making sure the batter is full of natural air bubbles (no baking powder—it doesn’t promote the big bubbles popovers need from steam), then get it immediately into the pan and then immediately into the fully-heated oven. Those bubbles do your popping—don’t give them time to dissolve!

PJ hit the other key element: none of your ingredients should be cold. This is why some people pre-heat the popover pan itself; you want the batter to heat immediately in the oven so steam can inflate the bubbles. If you use cold eggs, butter, or milk, the oven wastes those key first five minutes heating those cold ingredients up. You can’t heat the ingredients first or you’ll cook the eggs and lose some of the milk to steam before you get started, but do have them at least at room temperature. Put your whole eggs in hot tap water as you turn on the oven to preheat and you should be just fine. (I warm the milk and melt the butter in the microwave, but don’t get them steaming hot.)

For whole wheat popovers, you would want a little extra liquid, and ideally a little extra time for it to soften the bran—but that’s going to cause problems if you let your batter sit, because then you’ll lose your bubbles. I might try mixing just the whole wheat flour with the liquid and letting that sit for a while, then adding the rest of the ingredients and blending thoroughly (I use a blender to get LOTS of bubbles) and proceeding as usual. Just make sure that you get lots of bubbles if you want them to pop!

Matt, I learned a lot from you last time around, and incorporated it here. Thanks for “popping” in again! :) PJH

6. Katherine

I have an oven (that I am stuck with for now) that doesn’t have a nice window on the door. At what point could I safely open the oven door to make sure they’re not browning too quickly?
    I would say don’t open the door until the last 5-8 minutes of baking to be on the safe side. ~ MaryJane

7. TravelingAnn

must make popovers….
    I love popovers, but have never made them.
    My mother-in-law usually whips them up for big family dinners when my father-in-law makes pot roast.
    Of course, since it’s a big family dinner, that usually means only one each. :-(

I’m glad Matt left those comments, I was wondering about the lack of leavening agent.
    Just think, if you make a dozen you can have several each. What a treat! ~ MaryJane

8. Lish

I adore popovers, and it is a great way for my kids to get more eggs in their diet. They love the cheese version best with a little garlic powder and parsley. I love reading this blog because I learn so much about how and why things work with baking. I really appreciate that. Now I think I will make some popovers to have with dinner tonight, yummy!

9. Christina

We’ll have to try this with the “butter” in the mix and the room temp ingredients. The recipe I have omits both of those items.

We’ve been using rice milk and been having good results though. :) My family gobbles them down.

Is the super poofy rise on top more a result of the popover pan itself or the recipe with ingredients at room temp? I’ve been using a muffin pan (saving up for a popover pan) and mine don’t have that beautiful top to them.
    Hi Christina,
    It’s a bit of both. The warm ingredients help with the overall high rise and narrow pan directs the poof upward. ~ MaryJane

10. Su Hodgson

When I was about 8 my grandfather drove down to Portland from Vancouver, WA, where he lived, to pick me up for my first baking lesson. I was a shy kid, a bit apprehensive about the whole thing, because up until that year he had worked for Aramco, living in Saudi Arabia, and I really didn’t know him that well. We rambled back up the hills near our West Portland home, away from the safety of my neighborhood and friends, over the new bridge crossing the Columbia River, to his house off 39th street. There I was put on a stool, draped in an old Green Bay sweatshirt, and versed in the art of popover making, eyes glued on the lesson before me, from this tenured Grandpa Popover. Baking to him was a well-honed craft, art in its purest form, and he was on a mission to teach, test and graduate me before I left that stool. I remained at full attention, taking mental notes, assigning each step and ingredient to memory. I knew this was more important than a spelling test, the multiplication tables, emptying the cat box. Popovers were next to Godliness in my family and I could not fail.
    Now It was my turn.
    I was instructed to mix the ingredients in their proper order, whip them together with tornado speed, and suspend breathing when pouring the yellowy goo into “The Pan”. Next I was quizzed on the exact procedure, precise measurements, and, most importantly, using a cast iron, well-seasoned popover pan, heated in the oven till fire-hot, like a branding iron sizzling through the skin of a Texas steer. Once safe in the oven I was free to watch the magic of these rising giants through the glass door, all the while listening to Grandpa wear out the cast iron rationalization. Nothing would do but this greatest of cookware, and to hear him tell it one felt the detail important enough to go to war over, another favorite topic of his, being from Texas and all. We had just studied the topic in school, and personally, I couldn’t understand why we even wanted Texas, let alone go to war over it, but I kept these thoughts to myself.
    Apparently I passed my popover test with accolades because on the way back to Portland, we stopped at the wreck of a hardware store down on First Avenue, walking out with a brand new cast iron popover pan of my own, weighing some four pounds less than I did; a tool that remains to this day among the clutter of cooking treasures accumulating, it seems, like the dozens of socks in my drawers without a match.
    That was over forty years ago, but it could have been yesterday, a savory memory etched on my forehead and relived time and again when I bite into a steamy-hot, buttery, tender popover from the legendary power of cast-iron cookery.
    Thank you for sharing this beautiful memory.

11. Jeanne from NJ

Over the past 40 years of making popovers at least weekly, I have taken my mother-in-law’s recipe for sodden, doughy tennis-ball popovers and gradually morphed it into something that actually resembles your popovers pretty closely. Wish this blog had been around 40 years ago, it would have saved me a lot of effort and anguish! The only thing I do differently is stab the tops to let out steam about 5 or 10 minutes BEFORE the popovers are finished cooking, and they never get deflated or soggy. Also, although I have always used room-temp eggs when baking, it never occurred to me to not use cold milk for these… I can’t wait to see how high they get when I warm the milk a bit next time! It’ll be hard to beat last night’s popovers — all 6 came out over 7″ high!

12. Sue (t'other side o't'pond)

Your popover recipe is much like our recipe for ‘Yorkshire pudding’ – flour, eggs, milk, salt – but we do not use any melted butter in our recipe. Yorkshire pudding is usually served up with the Sunday roast but, traditionally, they used to be served with gravy before the main meal of roast meat, roast potatoes and vegetables (depending on what was in season). We also use the batter for making ‘toad in the hole’ – a giant size pudding cooked in the roasting pan with a pound of sausages in with it (yummy)! I am definitely going to have a go at making your butter-enriched version of a good old Yorkshire classic staple. Thanks for sharing :^)
    Hope the volcanic ash isn’t playing too much havoc with you and yours right now. Maybe you could set up a popover stand at the airport and make millions! :D ~ MaryJane

13. Ricardo Neves Gonzalez - Petrópolis, R.J.- BRAZIL

Popovers are that kind of breads i´d never saw here in Brazil, never tasted them before!
    But we have those pans here and i´ll give a TRY!
    Hope i love´em!!!
    Popovers are something special, I hope you enjoy them. I would eat them every day if I could. ~ MaryJane

14. Penny

I have always loved popovers and I really love the extra information from Matt. When I was about 9 years old we got our first oven with a window in the door. Dad convinced us that the popovers would actually rise up out of the pans and pop over – we watched the whole time! What a disappointment!
    Sounds like the time my Dad convinced us that if we put the small creamers from restaurants in the freezer we would get little ice creams. Good thing it was a joke, or we would have stolen hundreds of those little things! As it was, we only took about 6. Oh, those Dads! ~ MaryJane

15. Matt

Ann, I’m honestly thrilled to have helped. Other things to put in popovers:

scrambled eggs
    pot pie filling
    chicken or tuna salad
    any stew
    any salad
    Heck, the other day, I used popovers for creamed beef (classic S.O.S.) made with sausage seasonings so it was more like sausage gravy)—a great breakfast!

I love them because they’re the quickest of savory dinner quickbreads other than biscuits, which are messier to make and a lot fattier. From conception to service takes about 50 minutes, including preheating the oven and whirring it all in a blender for 30 seconds. There’s no reason to do without them. I’d even try making them with a small amount of chili powder and cheddar powder (if I could eat that—low sodium diet for me) and using them for a breakfast of leftover chili, either red or white chicken chili.

Once you pop, you can’t stop. (Wait, that’s the wrong convenience food, isn’t it? Oh, who cares, popovers are better!)

Oh, I never thought to try SOS in a popover or with sausage seasoning. Sounds like a good lunch for tomorrow, a cold and rainy day. Thanks for sharing! ~ MaryJane

16. Jess

I made them for the kids this morning and they were a big hit with a little maple butter. I did them in the blender, so the cleanup was a snap. Thanks for the recipe!

17. J.R.

I stumbled across this blog today looking for something totally unrelated. But having never tried popovers and being a wannabe baker had to try these out. They came out excellent, especially with butter and molasses.

One caveat though, and it’s no fault of the recipe. If you only have an old cupcake pan, and decide to use cupcake papers in them, you may regret that decision later on. Don’t ask me how i know.

18. Martina

I LOVE this recipe. I have made popovers for years, but always with my grandma’s traditional (and very old) cast iron popover pan. We moved recently and I have lost that pan, causing me to be reluctant in baking popovers.
    I followed your recipe to the tee. They were PERFECT!!! I love putting the pan above them in the oven to prevent over browning. I made them in my old 12 hole muffin pan. What a treat!!! Thank you.

19. Marianna

This is the reason why my mixer never leaves the counter top! Even the name “popover” sounds so happy. :) My husband and I had a big lunch yesterday so we really weren’t interested in a full dinner. I made herb cheese popovers and we found our bliss. THEN my son and his friend walked in and we were forced to share. Boo! Hiss!

20. Leigh

I made the sourdough popover recipe from elsewhere on this site. I referenced this post for more full instructions on the process, but I have a question:

I had a lot of left-over batter after filling my only muffin tin. Is the leftover batter wasted since the bubbles will have dissipated by the time the first batch finish baking, or do I simply need to re-beat the air back into them before baking the second batch?

I’m excited to see how they do. If they come out well I’m going to be thrilled to have another use for my “discarded” sourdough starter. Thanks KAF!

Yes, Leigh, just beat the batter again – should work just fine. Enjoy – PJH

21. AJ

Glad someone mentioned the savory-type fillings. My Home-Ec teacher waaaaay back when always touted popovers with chicken salad as “the”
    thing for fancy luncheons. Course none of us could ever dream of a
    ladies luncheon…but the popovers were GREAT. We didn’t care what we ate with them. One girl loved marshmallow cream and would always stuff
    hers with that. Oh, some of the memories….

22. connie

Help! Can someone tell me why my popovers always stick to the popover pan? I have 2 different ones, and they both do the same thing. I have tried grease, sprays, oils, butter, etc. and the bottoms always stick, and I take them right out of the pans as soon as they’re done. Thanks! I like to leave mine in the pan for 2-5 minutes, then they come out much easier. Mary@ KAF

23. cindy leigh

Love these! I slice them in half and pour a chicken a la king type mixture in (like chicken pot pie).
    soft scrambled eggs, bacon bits, a sprinkling of cheese and maybe some bernaise or other sauce makes a lovely looking special breakfast.

24. Brenda

I REALLY want popovers, but (1) live alone and would have to eat them all while hot, and (2) they need to be loaded with strawberry freezer jam and didn’t get any made last year…then again, I did make the batch my brother requested, but none for me.

25. Eve

I’ve just made a batch. I accidentally used too much salt (I don’t know what I was thinking), but I’m hoping liberal amounts of butter and honey may undo the damage. If they are still tolerable, I’m going to scramble an egg and stuff it into one of the popovers for breakfast in the morning. I can’t believe these are so simple! I will be making them more often… the right way this time, I hope!

26. Karen Paumen

Can popovers be frozen and reheated with any success.
    Unfortunately popovers do not freeze well. JMD @KAF

1. Sheila Montgomery

I like my popovers a little drier, so cook them a bit longer. Also, I usually make the popovers in advance of a family gathering and have found they freeze just fine. Maybe it’s because they are less soft inside. With maple butter or maple jelly on the popovers, there’s nothing much that’s better.

27. Sandra

I wonder about your suggestion of a cookie sheet above the popovers at the end of baking to protect the tops. Wouldn’t that only be necessary in an electric oven? I don’t think gas ovens have a heating element at the top that is used during baking (or does the broiler come on too?).

At the Bake setting, regardless of energy source, only the lower heating element is in operation. Heat will rise to the top of the oven and return downward through convective action. A baking sheet for protection is appropriate for both styles of oven. Frank @ KAF.

28. Kay

These popovers are amazing- delicious and they rise gorgeously. Way bettter than those pretentious Cook’s Illustrated guys managed in their cookbook! But mine keep dumping out onto the floor of the oven: one side sets & starts to rise, and the other side of the cup isn’t ready yet so it goes sloshing out on the slow side initially. On 3 of the 6 popovers. The other 3 go up straight and gorgeous. (I’m using a regular 6-cup popover pan.) Any tips there? Should I preheat my pan? (I sort of did today, but maybe not enough?) Or maybe this recipe is really bigger than a 6-cup pan? It’s not hard to clean up, but the smoke alarm isn’t the best baking accompaniment.

Try filling the cups a little less full, Kay. Also, sounds like your oven is heating unevenly. Have you tried baking on a lower rack, to see if you can perhaps catch some different oven-flow? Perhaps canting the pan at a diagnonal, rather than putting it in straight? And do put a piece of parchment on a cookie sheet, then set the popover pan atop the parchment – saves on cleanup! :) PJH

29. Nancy

Like Connie, my popovers ALWAYS stick. It doesn’t stop me — we scrape them out of the tins. But I would love to make some that look as beautiful as in your photo. I’ll definitely try leaving them in the pans longer even though that seems way too simple. Does anyone else have suggestions?

Is you pan and old and rough? Do you grease it with shortening or non-stick pan spray (not butter or vegetable oil)? Those would be my two guesses about what’s going on here, Nancy. At least they’re tasty, right? That’s step #1… PJH

30. Mary Ellen!

Hi everyone! I’ve just read the blog (which I love, by the way…) and decided I’m going to try the popover recipe. I’ve heard about them for years thought I’d give them a try with this delicious-sounding recipe and all its variations. My daughter-in-law, who has very limited baking skills, makes popovers all the time ….I’m jealous I’ve never tried them….so, not be be outdone, I’m going to “pop” this weekend when I have a little more time. It sounds easy and delicious….hot, steamy, bread-like and open to all kinds of fillings, etc.,….what coud be better? Also, when I get “on” to something, I’m like an old dog with a bone…I worry it to death and will experiment with it until I have it “just right” to suit me! I’m a little obsessive/compulsive with recipes that way! However, after reading some of the blog from other bakers who may be a little unsure of trying the recipe, I say, “GO FOR IT”! Even if you’re just “one”….GO FOR IT and share with friends and neighbors. I’m sure they’ll love you for it! Also, the fillings sound wonderful – I’m going to try plain with butter first……jam second….and the chicken pot pie filling, third, which will surely do me in! I see the wonderful KAF popover pan and mix as well in my new catalog….I’m up for anything “new”. I’ll be ordering as soon as this blog is posted! I always have to thank KAF for all the wonderful products and this website…so many interesting items, recipes and information. The “blog” is the best! Nice, clear instructions and those beautiful photos! To everyone @ KAF…thanx a million!
    Your filling ideas sound delicious! Let us know how they come out. Molly @ KAF

31. Lisa

I have never eaten or baked popovers before so I decided to make these for my family yesterday. All I had was an older, nonstick, muffin tin, but I decided to give it a shot anyway. They were amazing! My husband and I pigged out! My kids were less impressed, though, since they are squishy bread people and not crust people. And these were crusty to the point of nearly burned on the bottom. So here is my question…I followed the directions to the letter, but my popovers cooked way to fast on the bottom. Should I reduce the heat, cook for less time, or do I just need to invest in a popover pan? BTW, thanks for this great blog. I think I gain weight every time I read it!

32. Ceil

I have been making popovers for many years and the only secret that I know is to use very fresh eggs. They pop the best.

33. Barry

You are absolutely right. In it something is also to me it seems it is very good thought. Completely with you I will agree.

34. deborah

i am doing a lunch in between a law school hooding ceremony in the morning, and the graduation commencement in the afternoon. i want to make a fancy chicken salad (with grapes and cashews) and to serve it in pop overs made with half a cheese addition, and a herbed addition for the other half. HOWEVER, i need to find out if i can make the pop ups the night before (i am a late owl kind of person anyway) and if i pop them with a sharp knife a few minutes before they are done baking so they lose some of the steam to keep their shape, will they still be good to use like 10 hours later? how should i store them..and should i pop them in a warm oven before filling them? help. thanks in advance.

Hi – May I suggest making an easy pastry shell (cream puff shell) instead of popovers? They hold well, are delicious with a savory filling, and you could definitely make them the night before. MUCH better choice than popovers, for what you want to do. Fill just before serving. Good luck – PJH

35. Betsey

Hi,

I have a couple of (hopefully not) stupid questions.

First, do you have to use skim/lo-fat milk – as opposed to whole or 2%? I always buy whole, and sometimes 2% milk, due to the fact that I have a very thin sixteen-year-old boy in the house – who eats like a horse, mind you – but cannot seem to gain any weight. I know, I know, we should all have these types of problems – right?

Second, how long do these things keep after you bake them? For example, if I were to bake them late morning/early afternoon for dinner that evening. Will the Popovers stay fresh, and hopefully, not deflate until we are ready to eat them? Will they stay fresh and full even through the next day? Not that they would probably last an entire day, but I was thinking of giving some to my elderly mother, who lives by herself, and would never eat more than a couple in one day.

Thank you for your wonderful Blog – I have tried so many of your recipes – and have yet to be steered wrong on anything!

Betsey, there are those who say popovers with skim milk or low-fat pop better than whole-milk – but I haven’t done the test. Go ahead and use your fuller-fat milk – I’m betting the difference, if any, will be negligible. They are, however, quite ephemeral – best enjoyed right out of the oven, when they’ll be crisp outside, soft within. If not right out of the oven, they’ll be soft all over, and may (or may not) deflate, depending on how long you bake them, and if you get them dried out enough (without burning the crust) so that they’ll continue to stand tall. You can always rewarm them in the oven, or microwave VERY briefly – they won’t have the same texture as fresh, but will be tasty nonetheless. Enjoy – PJH

36. wendyb964

I’ve made these (and cream puffs) since a wee lass: my mum was from London. Always used the same recipe for Yorkshire Pudding as popovers. Often used the grease from the roast for the popover pan (yes, it DOES smoke when pre-heating the pan, but the taste is wonderful with beef.) Agree with the KAF suggestion about serving chicken salad in cream puff shells or puff pastry shells due to the soft, delicate nature of popovers. Don’t be afraid to try even if you have only a one or two person household: they are quite inexpensive. I have frozen them and reheated them in the oven—they are not quite as soft/squishy which some really like, and they are still lovely with jam/ butter, or as a quasi-sandwich with ham/cheese. Keep all the wonderful KAF info flowing!

37. Kay

Thanks for the feedback on my spillage problem, P …. no, my oven’s not uneven (although I love the diagonal-pan tip if it is). I’m finding that I need to make 8 popovers, not 6! And I think Ceil and you might have solved it for me in other comments — I’m using very fresh farmer’s market eggs and skim milk so maybe I’m just getting maximum crazy levels of pop — they rise super wonderfully high! But no complaints about making extra popovers, even if it does mean washing both pans.

38. LeeB

we just got back from a trip to Mt. Desert. We had popovers and tea at Jordan Pond House and now we are hooked! Thanks for the recipe and blog. I’m making them tonight – we have wild blueberry jam to go with them. :)

39. Monisia

Your blog is amazing! I fell in love with it immediately and can’t stop searching new mouthwatering and a must do recipes! I know popovers and when I made them for the first time, the taste brought to my mind kind of sweets we have in Poland that I really adore. To make them similar, it is just to put the icing on top. Really awesome! Or I also made caramel sauce which was also great. According to that, I have three questions. I would like to serve them for Christmas dinner with meat. Any suggestions what can I add to them (mainly before baking). Secondly, if I want to make them cheesy flavor, can I add grated cheese to the batter? And the last one, if I don’t have any eggs and I’m craving for popovers, can I substitute it somehow or without eggs it’s impossible? Thanks a lot! Warm greetings from Europe!

Monisia, thanks for connecting here, and for adding your (tasty) thoughts to the subject of popovers! For meat, you might try adding some dried herbs – thyme, rosemary, perhaps tarragon if you’re serving chicken. You can add grated cheese to the batter, but the more you add, the less they’ll rise. Use a strong cheese, like Parmesan; add just a little. And I’d say, to my knowledge, eggless popovers are impossible; you could possible substitute a typical egg replacer, ground flax mixed with water, but I highly doubt you’d get anything resembling a popover… PJH

40. Don

Since We have moved to Mexico at about 7000ft elevation, I have had intermittent luck with popovers. I use a non-stick popover pan & have tried cool or warm ingredients, whipping or stirring but adding extra egg seems to improve my odds. I have been using the old Joy of cooking recipe. Two eggs, 1 cup flour, 1 cup milk & two tblsp melted butter for 6 popovers.
    We split them, butter, sprinkle powdered sugar & drizzle fresh lime or lemon juice over the sugar.

Try using all extra large size eggs – this will add more liquid to the recipe and should help with the high altitude adjustment. You might also consider adding an extra egg to your recipe. Happy Baking! Irene @ KAF

41. Ricardo Neves Gonzalez - Petrópolis, RJ, BRAZIL

I still have troubles when bake popovers. Never got a nicely ones!!!
    The most badly are the followings:

I only grease pans with butter, nothing more. Popovers always stick into the pan. Never come out with non damages.

Popovers never increase sufficiently. I don’t know what kind of attachment must use to mix ingredients. I always use that for dough of breads. Not the cake baking attachment. The dough never produces bubbles..is it due to wrong attachment i’m using for?

I added 1 cup of shredded cheese plus 2 tablespoons of dried origanum. Can it caused overweight on dough resulting in failed non risen Popovers?

Ricardo, grease your pans with solid shortening or lard – or some other pure fat, not butter, OK? the solids in butter can make popovers stick.

Popover batter can just be whisked together by hand. It’s VERY liquid – is that what you’re experiencing? The rise comes from steam, not leavening – so until the popovers go into the oven, they won’t look bubbly, or look like they’re rising… does this help?

Try making plain popovers, before adding cheese. Yes, cheese can “weigh” them down – this might be what you’re experiencing.

Good luck – keep trying! PJH

42. Lori FM

Here’s a tip for reheating popovers:

Preheat your oven to 450, put the popovers in (loose or on a baking sheet – but not in the pans) and bake for just about a minute, turn the oven off, and let them sit inside for a couple more minutes. Cool for 1 minute before eating.

This will not “re-pop” the popovers – but the high heat followed by a short cooling procedure will crisp the outside, as well as heating the inside. They are still delicious!

Note that this method works pretty well with other crispy-outside breads, such as biscuits, scones, and bagels. Even a one-or-two-day old crusty loaf! Try it! In that case, since it is larger, give it a little longer in the high heat, and a little longer cooling.

and, indeed, other breads that you want crispier on the outside.

Nice tip! Thanks for sharing, Lori – PJH

43. Hoddie

PJ – Can you set the cookie sheet in the oven at the beginning of baking the popovers?

Sorry, Hoddie, not sure what cookie sheet you’re referring to? Popovers bake in a muffin tin or popover pan; if you want to set that pan on top of a cookie sheet, then sure, feel free to put the cookie sheet in the oven when you start preheating it. Hope this answers your question – PJH

44. AZ93

I came across your site yesterday after a bit of research. I’m pretty new to cooking so popovers were an intimidating thing for me. I will try to post my photos later, but for now want to tell you how AWESOME they came out! I followed your directions exactly, using YOUR flour (I have pledged my allegiance to your flour on other sites for their bread recipes as well), and my popovers came out…well, not just popped, but freakishly popped. I laughed when they came out! Not only were they huge, but delicious! And they didn’t deflate one bit (poked each once with a knife when they first came out…though not sure I needed to). I used a preheated popover pan loaned to me, pulled it out, sprayed it, filled each cup 3/4 full, plunked them in the oven and cooked them to your exact specifications, (placed on lower oven rack with a baking pan above them the WHOLE time, with temps and times followed exactly). I am beginning to learn that I have a talent for cooking based on some recent experiences, but I will tell you your popovers have made me a star. Thank you, thank you, thank you for your site, your advise and an absolutely top notch product (no, this was not a paid advertisement! Haha)

WOW, that’s quite the ringing endorsement! King Arthur is definitely America’s best flour (OK, maybe I’m biased from having used it for 36 years, but still…) And I’m glad our recipe and blog has inspired you to greater heights (pun intended). Keep up the great work – hope to see photos of some of your successes sometime on our Facebook page… PJH

45. Christy

I am really excited to try the herb popovers. I am commenting because I am having a problem. I have been living with my in-laws and they have a gas oven. My popovers don’t pop at all in the gas oven. I am seeing that your recipe calls for more time to cook the popovers. Have you made popovers in gas ovens, and if so, is there anything I need to know that is different than an electric oven?

I’ve made popovers in gas ovens in the past, without problems. I wonder if their oven setting might be off – you can’t rely on just setting an oven’s temperature, then assuming it’s really at that temperature; it’s really important that you stick an oven thermometer in there to double check. The chief reason popovers don’t pop is too low an oven temperature (or too thick a batter; did you perhaps add a bit too much flour?), so see if you can check the oven’s temperature next time, OK? Good luck – PJH

Roxanne, if you don’t want to use the cheese powder mentioned in the recipe, I’d use no more than 1/3 cup of a finely grated, very strong cheese, e.g., Parmesan or Romano. You want to add as much flavor (but as little actual cheese) as possible, to keep the popovers light. Good luck – PJH

46. Beth

I have made Popovers for years – and was sort of the ‘Popover Maven’ in my area of CT – in fact giving pans & recipe’s to get several friends started. UNTIL this winter, when I have struggled – with a new ELECTRIC oven – to get the popovers to POP! Please help me! I can’t imagine not making any more fabulous popovers again! How should I re-adjust for the new type of electric oven? – fan-based – though not a convection oven. Please help!

Beth, make sure you have an independent oven thermometer – one you set inside the oven. Your new oven might not be preheating as quickly as you’re used to. Make sure it’s totally up to heat before putting in the popovers. If there’s a fan function – turn it off. And if you’re using exactly the same recipe/same ingredients, and that doesn’t help – then I’m stumped. The batter doesn’t seem any different, does it? PJH

47. Terri from Minneapolis

I bought two popover pans so that I could make 12 popovers for dinner. When I baked them, they didn’t puff up like when I made my practice single pan of 6 with the exact same recipe. Do you have recommendations on what I should do differently when baking with two pans? Does the starting oven temp need to be adjusted because I’m starting with 2 pans vs 1?

1. MaryJane Robbins

Hi Terri,
      Try preheating the oven to 25°F hotter, then reduce right before you put your pans in the oven. That will compensate well for the second pan. ~ MJ

48. Ann porter

I read all the tips plus recipe several times over. Hate to have a failure on my first try.
    Brushed bacon grease in my popover pan. Stuck to the plain. Next time will use herbs and my blue cheese powder. Warmed eggs. Heated milk and butter in microwave just so butter melted. Mixed everything in a bowl with whisk and then tossed in blender. Knew I wanted them more well done so cooked the extra 5 minutes with cookie sheet on top and popovers in bottom of my gas oven. Have a window but wasn’t real sure if all had popped. Boy did they pop! Had a problem pulling them out of oven because they were so tall! My husband said boy they are ugly as he gobbled up one with honey butter.
    Can’t wait to experiment with favors.
    Thanks so much for my successful popovers!
    Ann

Make sure you take some credit for those yourself Ann! What an accomplishment to get such wonderful popovers on your first try (I know it took me several rounds to get a nice big pop) and I hope you enjoy all the new flavors and twist you try next…Happy Baking! Jocelyn@KAF