Puppy love… Our biscuit taste test.

DSC_0061

Thank you so much for testing our BEST OF BREED DOG BISCUITS recipe today.

Please rate this recipe on a scale of 1 to 5  stars, with 1 being the lowest, and 5 the highest. Be sure to include feedback on taste, texture, presentation, and distastefulness to cats.

JESSE, Beagle mix: Perfect size for catching in mid-air; one of my many talents. Tastes good, too!

DIGBY, Glen of Imaal terrier (and proud of it!) I turn my nose up at inferior biscuits. A gentleman with my breeding demands the best – and these are top-notch. Love the parsley; definitely adds that gourmet touch.

COOPER, Weimaraner: 5 stars, definitely; a big paws up. Good taste, very crunchy, and too big for the cats to handle. Though they were sniffing around my bed for crumbs…

TUCKER, border collie: Can’t rate; had to gulp it down, too much competition from that pesky Lab next door…

SILVIO, Golden retriever/? mix, senior citizen: Mild but good flavor; and not too hard for my old teeth. I shared with Lenny and Obi, my cool cat pals; I like to stay in their good graces.

What’s all this puppy love about?

Best of Breed Dog Biscuits.

Preheat the oven to 300°F. Lightly grease a couple of baking sheets, or line them with parchment.

Put the following in a mixing bowl:

2 cups King Arthur White Whole Wheat Flour or Premium Whole Wheat Flour
1 cup rolled oats, regular or quick
1 tablespoon dried parsley or 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
1/2 cup Baker’s Special Dry Milk or nonfat dry milk
1/2 teaspoon salt

Stir to combine.

Add 2 large eggs and 1 cup (9 1/4 ounces) peanut butter, crunchy or plain.

Stir to combine; the mixture will be crumbly.

Add 1/2 cup + 1 tablespoon cold water, or enough to make a cohesive dough. Depending on the season, you may need to add a bit more (winter), or a bit less (summer).

To make dog cookies, drop the dough in walnut-sized balls onto a lightly greased or parchment-lined baking sheet. Flatten to about 1/4” thick.

I’ve used the pusher tool from a Cuisinart food processor, which makes a nice imprint on top.

To cut out dogbone biscuits, roll the dough about 1/4” thick. No, it’s not pretty; it’ll develop cracks all over, and very ragged edges. No worries; trust me, your dog won’t care about looks.

Cut with a 3 1/2” cutter (or the size of your choice). Gather and re-roll the scraps, and continue to cut biscuits until you’ve used all the dough.

Lay the biscuits close together on the prepared baking sheets. Since the biscuits don’t include any leavening (baking powder, yeast, etc.), they won’t spread much.

Bake the biscuits for about 40 to 60 minutes, baking the smaller cookies for the shorter amount of time, the larger biscuits for the longer amount of time.

When finished, the biscuits will be dark golden brown, and will be dry and crisp all the way through.

And yes, it’s OK to break one open and taste it. If it’s good enough for Man’s Best Friend, it’s good enough for you!

I only baked the round cookies in the center for about 25 minutes; they should have baked longer. They were somewhat soft inside. No worries; if you find your biscuits are soft, just store them in the fridge, and use them up sooner.

My dog, Rags, thought both the biscuits and cookies were perfectly fine.

RAGS, German shorthair: I give this recipe 5 stars! After a long day at work in the field, there’s nothing like curling up in bed with a couple of homemade biscuitzzzzzzzzzzzzz…

Recipe also tested and approved by Lucy (beagle mix); Abby (Pomeranian mix); and Cassie (Shih Tzu). Thanks, ladies!

Attention, humans: Read, rate, and encourage your dog(s) to review (please) our recipe for Best of Breed Dog Biscuits.

Shortcut alert: Check out our Pamper Your Pup Gift Set, complete with easy dog biscuit mix and dogbone cutter.

comments

1. Ricardo Neves Gonzalez - FMP-FASE - Petrópolis, RJ, BRAZIL

Hi PJ, as you know i begun my bread baking after a riverflood destroyed a pet-shop i owned for 23 years here in Petrópolis, Brazil.
    Then i´d started my baker business to save money to my daily needs, after that bad losses. And one of the things i most solded were those biscuits, those appetizers for pets. And what surprise you gave to those who have pets in house!!!!!!
    Certainly they´ll love the treats from PJ´S RECIPE!!!!!
    HOW I WISH TO BE BORNED A PET!!!!!!
    NICE POST!

Ricardo, I’m SO glad you weren’t born a dog – or any pet – because then you would never have been able to connect with us here, all the way from Brazil! But if you know anyone with a pet, pass this along – crumbled up, I’m betting even the cats would go for these… :) PJH

2. Rockycat

Dog biscuits were the first thing I baked together with my daughter when she was perhaps three-years-old. We made them as holiday gifts for the neighborhood dogs and yes, we used the dog bone cookie cutter. These are a perfect novice baker project as the recipe is simple and your gift recipients will be so very appreciative, even if your skills aren’t the greatest.
    I have the cutest photo of my daughter from that baking session – with a little smudge of flour on her nose and a very big smudge of flour on her black t-shirt. Always good to have blackmail material as they approach their teenage years!

Thanks for your comment – and yes, I hear you about the “teenage years blackmail material” – I recall a photo of my 1-year-old son and his 1-year-old cousin, Jen, in the bathtub… :) PJH

Potato flour generally helps make things moister and keeps them soft; that would be counter to what you want these biscuits to be: dry and crisp. You can’t use 100% potato flour, as the biscuits wouldn’t hold together. If you want, you could try adding a couple of tablespoons to the recipe, then making sure you bake them plenty long enough so they’re dry, OK? Hope this helps – PJH

2. Donna

We have four mini schnauzers and our oldest has allergies, wheat, corn, etc. And they go through a lot of biscuits. I make mine with brown rice flour and she does not have any problems. Just thought I would pass the information on. We also bake our 20 min one side and turn them over for 20 min. Nice and crunchy. I also put pumpkin in.

Donna, thanks very much for sharing here. Very good info. for those whose dogs suffer from allergies. PJH

4. Siege

i grind up a oats as a replacement for the wheat flour. They might be a little more crumbly, but it works fine.

3. milkwithknives

Oh, you’re kidding! A post about doggie treats? I love it! I have thought a dozen times about making them, but my dog (oddly) has never been a big treat eater. She’ll carry one around for a week and play with it before eating it. But I think I might just try making a small batch of these and see how it goes. If nothing else, she’ll at least have a good time keeping them away from the cat and the bunny rabbit. (grin) Thanks a million for the wonderful photos and recipes.

4. fran16250

If I don’t have whole wheat in the house can I use AP? I’ve made these with cheese in them as well. Is there any harm in adding a leavening such as baking powder? How much? I have some senior dogs with few or no teeth so I think the under baked version would be better for them. I wonder if I soaked the oats in a little of the water if that would make them even softer still.
    We have a Pomeranian rescue and I currently have 6 dogs in my house, they will be very happy with these for Christmas.
    I have been making batch after batch of cookie dough for holiday gift giving. I think I will make some of these to include with the people cookies for those recipients who have dogs.
    Keep on “Baking Spirits Bright”!! Happy Holidays!!!

Yes, you may use AP flour instead of the whole wheat, and soaking the oats to soften them for your senior canine friends is a great idea. I don’t suggest adding a leavening agent to the recipe as they can be harmful to our furry friends. ~Amy

I’d suggest soaking the oats in the water from the recipe; don’t use extra water, OK? You don’t want to alter the flour/liquid balance… PJH

5. cindi12280

Again, thanks so much for this recipe. My dogs are going to love the biscuits and I now have what I need to make my own dog gifts this year. Do you have any recipe for kitties? We all know how fussy they are!

Cindi, we’ve worked on kitty biscuit recipes on and off over the years, and have never found one that gained acceptance by the majority of our cat taste-testers. You’re right – THEY ARE FUSSY! :) PJH

6. gaa

I have been baking up a storm the past week or so, making all the cookies that I planned. And through it all, my 4 Westies have been watching me and patiently waiting, asking me with their eyes “Mommy, are those cookies for me?” Finally I can say YES! These look great and will fit neatly into each stocking. I’ll make a double batch and take a bunch to the dog park this Saturday … after all my four footed friends deserve a present too! I’ll post next week and let you know how they go over. On behalf of my four furkids, Spencer, Rosebud, Molly B and Duffy, let me say, PJ, you rock!!

Happy holidays to furkids everywhere… Let us know how they like their biscuits! PJH

7. Paul from Ohio

NOTE TO WEBMASTERS! How come I can SIGN IN on your home page and then that same info IS NOT ACCEPTED here in the Blog post area???

MJ, as you know our Toby (Golden Retriever) has the advantage of taste testing almost all the goodies I bake! AND NOW, you gone and done something I get to bake specifically FOR HIM! How sweet. Gonna do it today, and since I don’t know how to attach a photo with a blog entry, I’ll e-mail you a photo with he and his personal Christmas treets! AFTER I make some Spritz (no recipe found for them on KAF!!!???)

Paul, don’t know about the sign-in snafu – I’ve passed this along to our Web support team… And I’ll totally look forward to seeing Toby with his treats! PJH

8. KAF_MaryJane

Milkwithknives, I hear ya! One of our poodles, Lillian will take her biscuit to the living room, place it on the rug and proceed to dance around it, roll on it and give it kisses for about 10 minutes before eating it.
    She’s very shy about it too, and won’t do it if you are looking right at her, so you have to watch it all out of the corner of your eye.

9. mnolet

I’m going to have to try this with my new pooch! He’s a big fan of our dog biscuit mix… I wonder how these homemade ones will fly!

To echo the habits of MJ and Milk, my dog loves to take his biscuits into a private area to chomp. I have found some crumbs in interesting locations!

10. barbr1

can you use Steel Cut Oats if you don’t have the regular oats as directed in the recipe?

Not unless your dog has really strong teeth and likes really crunchy stuff – which may well be the case. Or you could cook the oats first, but not sure what that would do to the flour/liquid balance…. PJH

11. Margy

How about substituting beef or chicken broth (meat broth only–onions and garlic not good for dogs) for the water? Sigh, no dogs at home now–my beloved Hershey died 6 years ago, and we’re gone from home so much that it wouldn’t be fair to leave a pooch home alone for 12-14 hours every day. Maybe one day if I ever happen to retire. However, my neice’s dog Nellie would love these. We do have a local dog bakery, but their products are quite expensive (although their turkey and cranberry biscuits were tasty–yes, I did eat one). I can see variations on this recipe, although you have to be careful not to use potentially dog-toxic ingredients (raisins, chocolate , onions and garlic come to mind).

Margy, I feel better about these biscuits knowing there are no meat products to worry about cooking thoroughly, or going “off” if not cooked well enough or stored correctly. Plus, all our testers really seemed to enjoy them without meat. But give it a try – no guarantees as to how they’ll keep, OK? PJH

12. calico

Wow, what a fun blog! Thank you, PJ. It’s so nice to see all the taste-testers. While I don’t have any dogs of my own, this recipe is just perfect for dog gifts and animal shelter bake sales. I already have a cute dog bone cookie cutter. I also have a little fish (think Pepperidge Farm goldfish) cookie cutter for cat treats. Unfortunately, I don’t have any kitty-approved recipes to share. Talk about fussy, my cat will only eat her cat food and chicken-flavored hairball treats. The only other “treat” that she’ll even nibble on is my pie crust. Now I don’t know whether to take that as a compliment or not!

Go ahead – take it as a compliment! Cats pay so very few of them to us humans… :) PJH

13. cklos

Just a note for some ingredient substitutions for our “Best Friends” who can’t tolerate wheat or certain grains, I often will use oat flour (which you can also do by grinding whole flakes in your food processor) as well as brown rice flour and barley flour or flakes. I also will add oat bran for a little more fiber. If you have a great homemade granola that is on the plain & low-fat side (absolutely no raisins!!), you can add a bit of that too. I will often use molasses, maple syrup or honey as a sweetener (only about 4 TBSP) as well as cinnamon, ginger and chopped dried cranberries, dried apples/apple sauce or crushed dried bananas (organic). If you want to add meat or other vegetables consider using jars of baby food, the serving size is perfect. For liquid I often use pure apple juice cut in half with water or chicken or beef broth (onion free).

Thanks for the helpful tips! PJH

14. montbaker

Tom and Chowder (two big slobbery goofballs) say thanks for a post on pup treats! Do you think his would work well with some shredded cheddar cheese?

I don’t see why not – make sure to get the type your dogs prefer – a nice Cabot Clothbound Cheddar, perhaps? :) PJH

15. cndammann1

This post brought back such a fond memory from a few summers back. I was making liver biscotti for my sheltie/pom mix. She never left my side as she anxiously watched the whole making and baking process. As the biscotti baked I went to my garage to throw out something. When I opened the door from my kitchen, there stood Buddy, the golden retriever from next door, head cocked, nose sniffing the air. Buddy died last year, but that memory of him always makes me smile.

16. sleefunk

Years ago I made doggie biscuits for a friend’s dog which she doled out sparingly. One weekend they had a neighbor boy dog sitting and when they returned she found that the bag of biscuits was empty. Worried about her pup having eaten so many treats, she asked the sitter if he had given them to her (thinking the pup probably helped herself), only to find out that the boy thought that it was just thick flatbread and he had eaten it all! (They were dog bone shaped so I don’t know what he was thinking.)

I think I’ll try this recipe and see if my friend wants to share it with the neighbor boy!

Well, they won’t hurt him – I tasted them, and they’re kind of bland (to my taste), but there seems to be something about them that dogs love. Maybe neighbor boys, too! :) PJH

17. Julia

My two Kerry Blue Terriers love the recipe in the 200th Anniversary KAF cookbook – complete with liver, wheat germ, etc. The humans in the house have a hard time with the smell while cooking the liver, but Edgar (KBT#1) won’t leave the kitchen and has been known to burn his nose trying to touch it to the oven door to get a better sniff. They definitely know whether the project is for human cunsumption or canine – but always hang out nearby just in case something hits the floor.

18. bellesaz

Hi PJ thanks for posting this recipe… HOWEVER… as an owner of three German Shepherd dogs (the poster children for food allergies), I’ve learned several valuable lessons after having raised this breed for 30 years.. WHEAT products are one of the foods that trigger itching, scratching and skin allergies. Many dogs can eat it just fine, but so many cannot. I buy your gluten free products when making doggie treats for my gang. I used to use rice flour or oat flour.. but since the gluten free things have come out, I’ve been able to make them with great KAF quality throughout!! Here are some other tips on doggy NO NO’s for eating.. no garlic, onion, avocado, grapes, chocolate and sodium. Peanut butter has alot of sugar in it, so try buying natural peanut butter for your dogs.. thanks for the great recipes and cute doggy bone cutouts. Have a wonderful holiday.. to all 2 and 4 legged family members!

Thanks for the helpful tips! Since this recipe was “vetted by the vet,” I figured it would be OK. And I’d guess it is for most dogs; don’t want to scare people away from making it… PJH

19. janetmohler

Penelope loved these biscuits. I just rolled it out onto parchment paper and cut it into 1 x 3 strips with a pizza cutter. I baked it for 60 minutes and Penny says that they’re crunchy and delicious.

20. wingboy

Anika (Siamese) and Piper (Tuxedo) are very upset.

They feel enough attention is already being paid to the ‘lesser’ species. (Anika does have her own Golden Retriever, although the neighbors think he belongs to them.)

Now, a little tuna tartar rolled in catnip, well, that would be purrrrrrrfect.

I Love Kitty thinks so, too… Really, though we’ve tried cat treats off and on, and 1) they’re really hard to make into tiny fish shapes (but maybe we should forget the shapes and just cut into “nibbles,” and 2) honestly, whenever we hit on a recipe we think is good, half the cats like it, the other half don’t; next recipe, the OTHER half like it, the first half don’t. Honestly, cats are SO… CAT-like! :) PJH

21. Sharryn

I’ve been making dog biscuits for the last year, with the dog bone cookie cutter available here at KA. My dogs absolutely love them, and the neighbor dog has a standing order in. I am going to try this variation next time, using some of my mature sour dough starter.

I have two black Schnauzers, both rescue dogs, and the smaller one only weighs 10 pounds. I use my dough scraper to lightly score each biscuit across the middle (after putting them on the cookie sheets). Then I bake then baking as instructed. The are easy to break in half for the little one, but stay in one piece for the larger dogs. Wish I could say this way my idea, but it was my husbands suggestion.

Billy and Jack say thanks for the new recipe. Woof!

22. Betty

I would love to make these for my deaf Dalmatian but she’s sensitive to peanut butter – what could I substitute for the peanut butter?
    Try another nut butter, like almond or sunflower butter. She may tolerate those better if the vet is OK with it. ~ MaryJane

23. bellesaz

PJH, read your comments on “vetting” this recipe and you’re right. Many dogs can handle it just fine. The problem is two-fold, however. Most vets are “general practitioners” and really don’t have alot of additional training in animal nutrition, believe it or not. The second issue is they are not extensively trained in allergies or how to effectively deal with them. Both of these fields are specialty fields.

The reason I know this? Because I’ve spent a fortune over the years with general vets trying to figure out what has been going on with my dogs… and I do mean a fortune!! My dogs have been given all sorts of treatments, including steroids, which can ultimately be deadly.

Today, I have a Vet that specializes in nutrition and allergies – they have been a life saver for my dogs. Many dogs can eat these things and never have a problem. However, there are some breeds and mixed breeds that will be fine with wheat for awhile and then all of a sudden, the itching begins as allergic reactions develop. Dogs are carnivores, but have learned to adapt their existence to being omnivores (eating both meat and plant products), but being an omnivore is not natural to canine digestive systems.

I’m not suggesting at all that people not make your recipe… by all means, I think they should! I bake doggie treats all the time, but I just substitute what I know my dogs can tolerate. Remember, what we put into our pets comes out through the skin, eyes, ears and nose – not to mention the obvious places. So if your pet has weepy eyes, itchy, flakey or skin that has a strong odor.. it’s time to evaluate what you’re feeding. Thanks for letting me be an advocate for animals.. it’s my livelihood and I have devoted my life to them for many years.

And thanks for all the valuable info. you’ve posted here… MUCH appreciated. PJH

24. A. Sanborn

LOVED your post an am eager to share with my -FUR BABY- loving 12 yr. old!

My only -?- pertains to the 1 Cup {8 oz.} or 9 1/4 oz. you reference? Where did I miss something? What are you using to measure peanut butter? This was my only snafu.

Thank-you for all the wonderful insights to dog allergies as well! I think if we make these for our friends and clients dogs we’ll use a gluten free flour!

Hmmm… Mortimer & Mookie {Moxie} believe and behave as dogs {Manx cats}.

Hi – 1 cup of peanut butter weighs 9 1/4 ounces – that’s probably where the confusion sets in. It’s not true that 1 cups is ALWAYS 8 ounces – that’s true for water and some other liquids, but for things like molasses (12 ounces), shortening (6 1/2 ounces) or peanut butter (9 1/4 ounces) – and others – not so. PJH

25. gaa

Okay, PJ, made these biscuits last night. Here’s the verdict from my four Westies:
    Rosebud: Every week we have to endure Mommy coming home all excited to make a recipe that she got from King Arthur Flour. Breads, cookies, pie crust, pizza … but never anything for us UNTIL NOW. Now I understand what all the fuss over KAF is all about! These biscuits were definitely worth the wait!! Five Paws!!!! Absolutely delish!
    Spencer: chomp, crunch, crunch … Huh? What? Do I like these cookies??? Is Rudolph’s nose shiny and red??!! These cookies are great. However, in order to be absolutely certain in my review, can I have five more please?
    Molly B: I am the athlete in the family. I love to play ball with Daddy and there is nothing that will come between me and my ball. … Or so I thought! Mommy made these cookies last night and they smelled so good as they baked I forgot all about my ball! Can I give them six paws?!
    Duffy: Six months ago, I was all alone in a dog shelter. At nine and a half years old, no body wanted me because of my age. I was dirty, smelly and I needed a hair cut bad. Then one day Mommy came and got me!! She didn’t care that I am old, in fact that is what she wanted! I got a new brother and two new sisters all at once. Now I have a nice place to live, good food in my tummy and Mommy and Daddy who love me. Last night, Mommy made these cookies and she said it was because today is my 10th birthday! Mommy said that her friends at King Arthur Flour came up with this recipe and when she saw it she knew that she had to make these cookies special for me. These cookies are great!! Not only do they taste good but they also have magic powers to make realize that there are people out there who love us dogs and who will do things specially for us like create a recipe for cookies. Mommy is right … KAF is the best!!

From all of us here in Pittsburgh, thank you PJ and thank you KAF!

Thanks, Rosebud, Spencer, Molly B., and Duffy… You have a wonderful mommy taking care of you! Happy holidays to you all- :) PJH

26. kmtwriter

I made a batch of these intending some to be for my dog and the rest to give as gifts to relatives’ dogs. I didn’t watch the smaller-sized biscuits as carefully as I should have so most of them ended up darker shade of golden brown. Fortunately for her, my dog has jaws of steel so she’ll get to keep most of biscuits.

27. Steph

My son and I are going to make these for our “nephews” for Christmas…but we don’t have a bone cookie cutter. We are now debating whether it is just wrong to use the cat cookie cutter for this…our cat has refused to comment, but my teenager thinks the idea is a hoot.

I guarantee the cat will be horrified and the dogs won’t care! :) PJH

28. Samantha

Your best Christmas post ever!! I am very fascinated both by the recipe and the real love you all are spreading on the our beloved ones!

29. lagerjo

My son and I made Christmas cookies for our dog this morning. We didn’t have a bone cutter, so we made them in the shape of airplanes, hearts, snowflakes, snowmen and trees. Picabo gobbled her sample down and seems to approve.

30. johnlloydjones

My border collie has a wheat allergy and peanut butter gives her the runs, but she swears by my malted rye with sweet potato treats. I make them using a modified sourdough bread recipe and bake them twice; first at 425F for 15 mins, then 1hr at 200F to dry them out for good storage and a nose wrinkling “scrunch”.

31. Jen

I’d love to give these as gifts for friends dogs. Any way you can come up with a dog-friendly icing (like Royal Icing) for them?

Sorry, Jen – no time for another taste test! But if you can do it, c’mon back here and share, OK? Thanks – PJH

32. Cheryl

Do you need to refrigerate these?

It seems that unless they were under baked and still soft, you shouldn’t have to refrigerate these doggie treats. Happy Baking!-JDB

33. spotzilla

These came out great! The pics of the senior dogs are what inspired me to try them – I love old dogs :) My three old dogs Nick, Fideaux, and Red like them a lot. So does the young dog Casper (but he’s a lab so I’m not sure that counts. He’d eat rocks!)

I’ll tell Silvio he’s a inspiration :). Glad these were a hit – and I know what you mean about labs. I think they’d actually rather eat sticks than anything else… PJH

34. Stacey

I just came across this recipe and tried it for my pups as well as for gifts. My two kerry blue terriers love this recipe! The little one gobbled hers right up and the bigger one took his time savoring every last crumb! I’m very concerned with what I put in my body, so I was so happy to happy to find a health concious dog treat recipe. Thanks for shring!

35. Michelle Crunkle

I’m pretty excited to try these biscuits for my ‘brothers’ but I have two questions. Would this recipe work with rye flour? and what about refrigeration? I was hoping to mail them to my parents but don’t want to make the dogs sick by not refrigerating them.
    thanks so much!
    Hi Michelle
    Rye flour should be fine, you might want to run the “is it safe for dogs” past your vet to be sure. If you bake the treats until they are very dry and ship 2nd day, they should be fine out of the fridge. ~ MaryJane

36. Sandra in California

Made the first time as written, small round as we have pugs. They loved them, knew they would since they like Peanut Butter. Next batch has unsalted chicken broth for 1/2 cup water then water as needed for consistency and added 1/4 cup grated carrots.
    They love this version also. Giving as Christmas gifts this year, so excited to share. Thanks this recipe is so easy it makes it very convenient to make. With the size we do it makes 60+ cookies.
    Thanks for sharing Sandra. Hope you and the pooches have a great holiday season. ~ MaryJane

37. Tian

I love the receipt. Simple and easy and straight forward. 5 stars. I even tested the treats before I gave to my new rescued dog Nova. I have also altered the receipt and like to share with you now.I used 2 eggs, little bid milk, rye and rice flours, rolled oats, cooked sirloin, little bid peanut butter. Put all the ingredient together and mix in one direction for 3 minutes. Then roll out to about 1/3 inch, and cut out in whatever shape you prefer (i used pizza cutter cut to the 1/3 inch square, but not through) and bake in abt 200 to 250F until the treat just start turning light toast colour. Once cooled, keep in fridge. Enjoy.

38. Joan

Hello PJ!
    Thank you so much for this recipe. I think my Bella is going to love it. She has allergies to meats and chicken. It is so hard to find healthy treats without them in it. I have a question. Can i omit the salt? Also, how do i store them?
    Joan and Bella

You can absolutely omit the salt, Joan – it’s just there for flavor. If they’re absolutely, completely, totally dry and hard – when you break one open, no sign at all of moisture – simply store them in a bag at room temperature; that’s what I do, and they last forever – or until my pup eats them, which isn’t exactly “forever.” Hope Bella enjoys them – :) PJH

39. Kim

I volunteer at an animal shelter here in Illinois and we have our biggest annual fundraiser coming up in a few weeks. I wanted to make and package several bags of these cookies for the fundraiser. In how many days must these cookies be eaten? I want to make sure we let people know, since they are fresh made.

And how many cookies does the recipe make?

Thank you!
    The yield for this recipe is about 42 larger (3 1/2″ dog-bone) biscuits, 60 smaller (round) biscuits. You can store them for about 2 weeks in an airtight container. ~Amy

If you make sure they’re ultra-dry, Kim, they store indefinitely at room temperature. Then again, you could always freeze them. Good luck – PJH

40. Jessica1911

Now that I’ve read ALL the comments, I see that you have tried to develop recipes for cat treats in the past, with mixed results. Even though you can’t be sure all cats (or even most) will like a treat, I think many of us who live to serve our cats would like to give some of the recipes a try. We’ll take a chance if you will!

Jessica, I’m thinking the dog biscuits could simply be cut much, much, MUCH smaller for cats. Maybe mix in some dried catnip, too. Want to give it a try and let us know? PJH

41. Jack629

I made these last night and got a fantastic pic of my shepherd mix with her nose on the oven door. Both of my dogs LOVED them, and my daughter loved helping to make them. I was wondering if I added bacon grease, would I decrease the amount of peanut butter?

Cute! We need pictures! The peanut butter not only provides the fat but also helps with gluing the ingredients together. I think you could use up some of that bacon fat in place of the peanut butter, but I would not substitute more than a couple Tablespoons. Woof! Elisabeth@KAF

Karen, so long as you bake them until they’re absolutely, totally dry and hard, their shelf life is indefinite – no problem mailing to friends. Good luck – PJH

42. member-linrag

I’ve been alternating between this recipe and your boxed biscuit mix. All four of my dogs (2 lab-pit mixes, 1 German Shepherd-mix and one Keeshond-mix) love them! The Keeshond is the oldest of the bunch and appears to know when I’m mixing biscuits and paces back in forth in front of the oven while they’re baking – occasionally poking his head around the corner seeming to ask when I’m taking them out of the oven! Thanks for a great recipe – I feel so much better giving these as treats instead of store-bought… I know what’s in these!

43. David

Made these with an alteration because one of my dogs seems to have issues with peanut butter. I substituted about 8 oz of canned pumpkin (pure not pie filling) in place of the peanut butter. The water was also reduced to about a 1/4 cup until I got the recommended consistency. My daughter and I sampled it and wasn’t bad, oh, and the dogs loved them too.

David, the proof is in the dog approval, right? :) Thanks for sharing your substitution here – great for others whose pups might have a peanut allergy. PJH

44. Cree

I’m getting ready to make this recipe. It’s similar to another one I make for my 2 dogs and friends dogs. But none of these dogs could care less what shape the cookies are. They just want to gobble them down. I found an easy way to make my doggie treats. I press the dough into 9 x 13 pan or a couple if I double the recipe. I bake them, let them sit for a few minutes, then cut them into bite size pieces with a pizza cutter. It’s fast and the dogs love them just as much as the time it would take making them look pretty. I bag them in plastic storage bags and put in freezer. I usually can get about 300 bite size treats if I double. I have a 105lb Rotti mix and a 34lb German Spitz. They also will eat them right out of the freezer as they are not that hard and help with teeth cleaning.

45. Linda

Hi could you think of a recipe that doesn’t have peanut butter in it? My dog will not touch anything that has PB in it….I always thought all dogs ate it. Boy was I wrong!!!

Linda

46. Synthia

I don’t use wheat for my dogs, but often put oats in the food processor and grind to flour. Rice flour works well too. I’ve made all kinds of flavors by adding apple sauce, cheese, tomato sauce, blueberries (a real favorite), bananas, strawberries, liver….I adjust the water depending on what I add.

47. Beth

Oh, I love making homemade dog treats so we will definitely try these. As a side note, I’m curious about Jesse although he may belong to one of your customers and you don’t know him. It says that he is a Beagle mix, but he looks like an Entlebucher mix. We are often asked if our Entle is a Beagle mix, and that is why I mention it. He’s very handsome. I look forward to making this recipe.

48. Dave

How long might these last unrefrigerated? Our Girl Scout troop is baking some this weekend and wants to donate them to a small rescue group who doesn’t have room to refrigerate them.

Thanks!

If they’re thoroughly dry (i.e., you make sure to bake them long enough), their shelf life at room temperature is pretty much indefinite, Dave. They should be rock hard when fully baked, with no sign of moisture when you break one in half. Thanks so much for undertaking this project – and please thank the girls, from their friends here at King Arthur Flour! PJH

49. Myfoodie Pet

One of my best teammates Emily just came back from the “Taste Test” Event launched on 22nd July,2014 in Las Vegas, and told me that her great taste experience. In that day, many retailers were attracted to attend in and some of them gave honest feedback to myfoodie staff. She also invited many customers to take part in and have a try of those dog foods proudly made in United States. I am very glad to hear that and want to share with you that similar dog food taste test. Hope you to give me some encouragement to move forward!

50. Diane

you need to make your recipes printer friendly. As it is right now I will print all the comments which I don’t want. I just want to print the recipe with pictures.

Diane, look at the right hand side of the recipe page, above where the directions start – there’s a button for “print recipe.” Click that, and you get just the recipe. If you’re talking about printing this blog post, then you’re right, there’s no easy way to print it, besides view it as a PDF and print only the pages you want… sorry about that. PJH

Ruben, baking powder would make them lighter, not necessarily softer. But with dog biscuits, you don’t want them soft – unless you’re going to store them in the fridge and use them all up within a couple of weeks. The dryness that produces their hard texture also makes dog biscuits shelf-stable at room temperature and long-lasting. That said, if you want softer biscuits – just don’t bake them as long. Good luck – you have a lucky dog, getting homemade biscuits! PJH