Continental breakfast: Belgian waffles

Ah, the perfect waffle. Golden brown; light on the fork; crisp on the outside, “creamy” soft at the center; and offering the rich flavor of butter and eggs, with a tiny bit of deep-fried taste from the hot iron.

Since waffles are SO good, remind me again why I don’t make them more often?

Inertia. During the week, breakfast is low-fat cheese, a few almonds, a cold glass of skim-milk Ovaltine.

On weekends, I might treat myself to a scrambled egg and a piece of raisin toast.

Bottom line, it’s strictly a failure of imagination that has me robotically cracking an egg into a skillet on Saturday morning, rather than whipping up some easy waffle batter, heating the iron, and treating myself (and anyone else in the house) to a REALLY good breakfast.

These yeast-raised waffles take a bit of planning ahead; the batter needs to rest for at least 30 minutes. But the result is well worth pushing back your usual breakfast time from, say, 8 a.m. to 8:30.

After all, what’s the rush? Surely the housework and errands can wait while you enjoy a true comfort-food classic: waffles.

Oh, and one more thing: Since waffles are a favorite with everyone in the family (kids can’t resist the sweet maple syrup, or berries and whipped cream!), they’re a great way to celebrate Bake for Family Fun Month. With waffles, kids of all ages can get in on the action, from dumping ingredients into the mixing bowl to spooning batter onto the waffle iron.

OK, let’s dive in. First, combine the following in a mixing bowl:

1 1/2 cups lukewarm milk
6 tablespoons melted butter, melted
2 to 3 tablespoons maple syrup*
3/4 teaspoon salt
2 large eggs

*Our taste testers were evenly divided on this one. Some of them liked the touch of maple in the waffle; some preferred the standard unsweetened version. I will say that adding syrup seems to give the waffles more of a yeasty/fermented flavor. Up to you.

Add 1 teaspoon vanilla extract.

I like to use Vanilla Bean Crush. See the seeds and crushed pods? GREAT vanilla flavor.

Add 2 cups (8 1/2 ounces) King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour, and 1 1/2 teaspoons instant yeast.

Stir to combine.

It’s OK if the mixture isn’t perfectly smooth; a few lumps are fine.

Cover with plastic wrap, and let rest at room temperature for 1 hour.

The mixture will begin to bubble.

You can cook the waffles at this point, or refrigerate the batter overnight to cook waffles the next day.

Here’s the batter, ready to go into the fridge.

And here it is the next day; see the yeast at work?

Stir down the batter.

Preheat your waffle iron. Spray it with non-stick vegetable oil spray.

I’m using a deep-pocket Belgian-style waffle maker here; it’s one of those flip models, the kind you’ll often see at serve-yourself motel breakfast buffets. You pour in the batter, then rotate the iron 180° so the top becomes the bottom. Not sure why flipping the iron works, but it surely makes one heck of a light waffle.

Pour 2/3 to 3/4 cup batter (or the amount recommended by the manufacturer) onto the center of the iron.

It should spread all the way to the edge. Help it to reach the edge by taking a spoon and quickly nudging the batter in that direction.

Close the lid and bake for the recommended amount of time, until the waffle is golden brown.

It takes us 5 to 6 minutes, using our Belgian iron.

Repeat with the remaining batter. This recipe makes about four 7” waffles.

Actually, 4 3/4 waffles. When you don’t have enough batter for an entire waffle, pour it into just 2 or 3 of the sections of the iron, to make 2 or 3 quarter-waffles.

Do your waffles a favor: drizzle them with Grade B Vermont maple syrup. If you love rich, strong maple flavor, forget the fancy Grade A amber stuff; this dark-as-molasses Grade B is for you.

Serve immediately, or keep warm in a 200°F oven. See how crisp and light this looks?

Whipped cream and berries optional. I prefer my waffles straight up.

You can choose to prepare the batter for these waffles and cook it after an hour, as noted; but we prefer to let the batter rest overnight in the fridge, where it develops some real depth of flavor, yeasty and rich.

Finally, as you’ll read in the comments that accompany the recipe, some readers aren’t fond of this “yeasty/fermented” flavor; if you think you might fall into this camp, add 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder to the recipe (in addition to the yeast), and cook after just a 30-minute rest; don’t refrigerate overnight.

Read, rate and review (please) our recipe for Belgian-Style Yeast Waffles.

comments

1. SMJ

This is the BEST waffle recipe I have ever used. I let my batter sit overnight in the fridge overnight and baKed the next morning. The texture/ flavor was perfect. So delicious! I do have a belgian waffle maker like the one you described. There is a difference in flavor from the baking powder baked waffles, but I like it!

Thanks for your feedback – there are those, as I said, who are put off by the yeasty flavor in these; but most people seem to love them… PJH

2. debdevo

I make these waffles ALL THE TIME. It is so great to mix up the batter the night before, and then sleep in the next day, but still have waffles. My hubby has been on the hunt for the perfect Belgian waffle for years….when I finally started making these…the search was over. THANKS for a wonderful recipe.

Glad you’ve been enjoying these, Deb – they’re such a nice combo of crisp/soft, aren’t they? PJH

3. Cindy leigh

My favorite recipe is the KAF sourdough waffle recipe. I love to make it with white whole wheat and 9 grain blend. Extracts are great too: maple, butter, and pecan is my favorite combo. I found that beating the egg whites first also helps to make them lighter. I make a double batch every week and use my old traditional waffle iron to make toaster waffles, and bag individually and store in freezer. Spread with peanut butter, it makes a quick healthy breakfast on work/school days.

4. angela25

This is my absolute favorite waffle recipe! Like most of the people here I mix it up the night before so that I can have perfect waffles Saturday morning. I have actually derived a somewhat modified version of this that is super good as well. Instead of the maple syrup, I substitute a tablesppon of molasses, and only use 1.5 cups white flour and then .5 cups of whole wheat flour. Then mix up some cinnamon butter for spreading on top (2 TB Baker’s Cinnamon Filling with 1TB water mixed with one stick of butter and a pinch of salt) and you have the perfect waffle breakfast! Yum!

5. mari10

hmmmm… I need to try this on Friday night. too bad can’t do it today since I’m home escaping the icy roads out there. Thanks again for the wonderful recipes!

6. mikest

Okay PJ, guess I’ll be making this tomorrow (one of the bonuses of working from home). I’ve not tried the maple & vanilla, so this should be good. I also only have the traditional waffle iron (4 large squares), but I’m not a big fan of Belgium style waffles. As far as the BW iron, when you pour in the batter, it immediately sticks to the iron and starts cooking. When you rotate it, the batter than falls to the other iron and starts cooking. If you didn’t flip it, it would have to rise to the other iron to cook and it wouldn’t be as crispy (not as long a time against that iron cuz they are so much thicker and would take time to rise up to that height).

Thanks for the waffle iron lesson, Mike – didn’t know that! :) PJH

7. Asdahne

These sound yummy, but we have only the “regular” waffle iron, not the deeper Belgian style. Will that work and if so, are any changes necessary?

They will just be thinner. Give it a try. Frank @ KAF.

8. jlhuge

I love yeasted waffles. I find that while they smell yeasty during cooking, the texture and taste reminds me more of popovers.

I also raise them overnight so I can have no prep time when it comes to breakfast in the morning.

9. vel

oh, I do want a waffle maker. But with me living along while husband is off doing contract work, not much point. That grade b maple syrup is the best though. No reason at all to ever get grade A again.

10. jennylknight

No waffle iron (sigh) can I make pancakes with this batter?

This recipe is really not the same without a waffle iron. Trying the batter as pancakes is just not quite the same. – kelsey

11. greggm59

This is the only waffle recipe I’ve used for about the past year. They also freeze very well. After defrosting one in the refrigerator overnight, reheating the next morning using the toast setting of my countertop oven makes them taste almost as good as fresh. Delicious!

12. pamhugh43 says

These are the best waffles we have tasted. So light and golden brown. Wonderfull reheated also Also doesn’t run out of the waffle iron all over the counter. so good

13. sailortitan

Someone renamed that recipe in the recipe section, and as well as destroying ALL the previous comments (including the ones alluded to in the blog where people complained of yeastiness) it also broke my link to the recipe in my recipe box. :C I had to re-add it; amusingly, I have two Belgian waffle recipes in a row in my recipe box now, one that links somewhere and one that just disappears into the nether….

Try it again – it’s tricky transferring what we call our “legacy” recipes into new, searchable format. The comments aren’t destroyed; they’re hidden, and will be returned as soon as our tech guy gets to it. Links should all be fixed now. Sorry for the problems… PJH

14. davidssa

Do you know Ebelskivers? My family LOVES them. (Especially filled with Nutella… big on sweet, my family.) I’ve heard of old family recipes for yeasted Ebelskivers, but my family doesn’t happen to have one, and I’ve never taken the time to google it. I’m going to try this one and see how it goes. I’ll let you know. Thank you!

Try our two aebleskiver recipes: Jam Buns, and Danish Cheese Buns. YUM… PJH

15. MemphM

I use a similar recipe but I beat the egg whites separately and they are very light and crispy. I haven’t tried the grade b syrup except in cooking so I’ll have to try it. Love Belgian style waffles and fortunately have a wonderful iron.

16. Shawna

I make good waffles (usually the Cornmeal-Rye Waffles from KAF’s Whole Grain cookbook), but these are in another category of amazing. I substituted KAF white whole wheat flour for half of the all-purpose flour, and you’d never know it. These have a great flavor, and are deliciously crispy. Thanks for another great recipe.

17. dmoltzen

I have a freezer full of blueberries. I wonder if I could add the frozen berries into the batter and cook the waffles up in my BW iron that way? I would like that rather than on top.
    thanks for any help on this. Dori

Sure, why not? I would add the frozen berries into the batter, stir them up and waffle away as usual! – kelsey

18. Emily

How could I reach almost 40 years of age and not know about yeast waffles? I made these for the kids for dinner last night (letting the batter rise on the counter 1 hour then another hour in the ‘fridge) and they were wonderful! I’m so glad I doubled the recipe so we can have a stash in the freezer. Thanks for another winning recipe!

That’s the nice thing about baking, Emily – so many recipes, so little time… You’ll NEVER run out of things to try (and fall in love with)! PJH

19. perogers

I can’t WAIT to make these for my family. We love having waffles for dinner.I do have a question…can we double or tripple this recipe? We are a family of 6 (which includes 3 growing boys) so 4 waffles is just not going to do! Or do I just need to make 3 seperate batches.
    Looking forward to dinner tonight:)
    You can definitely double the recipe, just don’t double the yeast. Try two double batches, and freeze the extras (if there are any) for quick on-the-go breakfasts. ~ MaryJane

20. gaitedgirl

*bows down to PJ* Finally Belgian Waffles that I feel like I can tackle! Some Belgian Waffle recipes I’ve seen require you to beat egg whites and fold them in the batter and I’m sorry, but at 8 a.m. with a husband and dog ready for their breakfast, I needed a waffle recipe that can be whipped up quickly! Thank you so much for this recipe! I can’t wait to make these for my husband this Sunday!

Also, MaryJane, thanks for the tip on freezing the waffles! That’ll be great for on-the-go breakfasts!

21. bicemama

I make these in my regular waffle iron and they are fabulous, don’t hesitate to try just because you don’t have a Belgian iron. I like mixing them up the night before and baking, they seem to come out even crispier which is what I’m looking for in a waffle. I also leave them in till they are a crispy brown, don’t pay any attention to the irons “ding” they are never done then!

22. gpyrocat

I made these over the weekend, omitting the maple syrup. I let the batter rise overnight in the fridge. In the morning it was all ready to go. Delicious! There was one lonely waffle we couldn’t finish, so I left it out under plastic wrap. The next day I broke it into 4 pieces and popped into the regular toaster to reheat. Perfection! This will be my go-to Belgian waffle recipe from now on.

Glad you’ve found a new favorite! PJH

23. tanyas74

I tried this out over the weekend and it was a huge hit with myself and my 3 boys (who are usually not as crazy over waffles as I am)! The waffles that came out of my $15 waffle iron looked and tasted like the ones you get at a hotel buffet. We got 4 leftover waffles which I wrapped and froze but my youngest remembered it and had it for dessert that night. This will be my waffle recipe from now on! Thank you creative and hardworking bakers at KAF!

Good ingredients in, good waffles out! Glad these were a hit, Tanya- PJH

24. fran16250

I made these last weekend and served with strawberries and whipped cream. I had mixed resultss. I made a double batch of batter the night before and it rose up very well. In the morning the batter seemed partly fluffy and partly thin and watery. I was not sure if I should stir it up or not. I made a few without stirring but did stir towards the end. The waffles turned out light and crispy but were not full. After pouring the batter on the bottom of the iron and closing the lid it never fully rose up the fill the top half of the iron. I tried adding more batter on the next attempt but it just poured out of the edges and still didn’t quite fill all the way up.
    I have been using Krusteaz belgian waffle mix for years and absolutely love it. Now, I am not usually a mix type of girl but I think I’ll stick with this one.

Sorry this recipe did not work for you the next day. Even in the blog pictures you can see some separation after the overnight rest. Do stir the batter to smooth it and the waffles should work! We’re glad you tried the old-school method of making waffles, but sometimes time constraints call for mixes! Have you considered our Belgian Waffle Mix? Irene @ KAF

25. Staci

I made these with the instant gratification method by adding the baking powder and only letting them rise 30 minutes. They were the best waffles I have ever eaten! We only used 1/2 of the batter so I used the rest the next day. It was still outstanding! Thanks for the great recipe!

Great, so glad you liked them, Staci – it’ll be interesting to taste the difference after letting the batter sit overnight. Enjoy! PJH

26. JessinCA

(I just tried to comment and it didn’t seem to work — sorry if this ends up being a duplicate). I’m wondering about substituting canola oil for the butter in this recipe (as well as soy milk for the cow milk). I know it will take way from the buttery flavor, but should it otherwise work? Thanks.

Comments sit in limbo until they’re looked at by one of us here, Jess – so no prob with the duplicate, I’ll take care of it. Yes, canola oil would be just fine – should yield an even crispier crust, as a matter of fact. And soy milk is fine, too. Enjoy! PJH

27. Beata

Just made them for my family. First time and they came out perfect. Used honey (real one of course!!!) instead of maple syrup and have just normal waffle iron not the Belgian one but still think that even the thinner waffles are great. Thinking about bying a Belgian iron now as my family loved them. Thank you very much!!!!

You’re welcome, Beta – so glad they were a hit with your family. PJH

28. sbergeron00

Yum! I made these today with a gluten free flour mix. I had to add more liquid but the batter was great and the waffles turned out just like everyone has said. Crisp on the outside and creamy on the inside. Thanks for sharing it!

29. diananc

This is THE perfect BW recipe ! I love the sourdough starter recipe, but this one is even simpler. Instead of the maple surup I use 1/4 cup King Arthur malted milk powder—it is wonderful.
    I also use 1/2 KAF white flour, and 1/2 KAF white whole wheat flour. I experimented with the refrigeration : Overnight in the ‘frig yielded great waffles. The second night in the ‘frig yielded waffles just as good as the first. AND—the third night in the frig the batter was still puffy, but had thickened, so needed 1 to 2 TBS lukewarm milk or water to thin down—and the waffles were just as good as the very first batch ! They freeze beautifully, and if you reheat the frozen waffle on the waffle iron a minute or two, it is just like freshly made. I found that the toaster over dried it out too much.
    Hope this helps !
    Great tips. Thanks for sharing! Elisabeth

30. huntdonald

YUM YUM YUM!! My stomach just audibly growled at my desk. I can’t wait to try this, so perfect for this cold, wet weather in the city
    Is that what that was? I thought we were having another earthquake ;) . Have fun with your waffles! ~ MaryJane

31. Angel

Delicious! Much, much better than the baking powder version. I followed the recipe with one exception. I did not have maple syrup so I just used our Log Cabin pancake syrup. I used my regular waffle maker and they are crispy, even after cooling. My other waffles get soft and flimsy after cooling. I let sit for 1 hour. Next time I will put into fridge overnite, that way I am prepared to make breakfast first thing in the morning! Oh yeah, one more thing, I used reconstituted powdered milk instead of regular milk. Yummy!!!!!!

32. mama

I really love how easy this recipe is so I hope you can help me to perfect it.
    I did not have unbleached flour so I used bleached all purpose flour. I also did not have pure maple syrup but substituted 100% pure cane syrup instead.

When I made the waffles (I have the same deep Belgian waffle maker that flips) I could not get the outside crispy. The inside was dense and chewy. What did I do wrong? Any suggestions because I would love to be able to keep this easy recipe. Looking to make outside more crispy and insider little lighter and less chewy.
    Sorry to hear these didn’t crisp up for you. Did you rotate the waffle maker once you filled it? It sounds like they may have just needed to cook a little longer…that could also explain the dense and chewy center. Also, when measuring your flour, we recommend using this method: http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipe/measuring-flour.html. Too much flour can make a dense final product. The cane syrup will not affect the final waffle at all, but the bleached flour may be throwing off your flour/water ratio. Give us a call on the Baker’s Hotline and we’ll be happy to help troubleshoot. ~Mel

33. Carol

I hadn’t used my waffle iron in years, then stumbled on this recipe–now I’ve made them twice in 2 weeks. They are FANTASTIC! My 6 and 8-yr old grandkids loved helping to mix them the night before, then were amazed the next morning at how much they had raised. They even asked if they could take the extras home! How fun to make these with them!

Actually, I was amazed at how they raised both times, too. I also put them in an 8-cup measure in the fridge and started out with almost 3 cups of batter. In the morning, they had risen to just over 7 cups! I noticed in your blog they only raised about 1/2 cup. Any problem with this? I followed the recipe to a “T”.

No problem at all, Carol – you must have some very active native yeast there! Enjoy – PJH

34. Mom of 6

Have made this several times now for my gang. The first time, I followed the recipe exactly except for doubling and although I enjoyed the taste, the kids felt there was something “off” about them – too yeasty, they said. So, the second time, I replaced the maple syrup with brown sugar – same amount. The batter came out thicker, of course so I added a little water right before baking. DELICIOUS!! A big hit with everyone! We are big waffle people and it is so great to find a recipe I can make the night before and in my coffee-less stupor not mess up on Sunday morning! Thanks sooo much!

35. Mom of 6

Forgot to say that I used half whole wheat and half AP flour in my version – tryin’ for those whole grains!!

36. vcallahan

Our family is crazy about waffles. My search for the perfect iron is finally over after several tries. Now, I have the perfect recipe! Can’t wait to try the overnight version and will definitely exchange some of the A/P with your fabulous White Whole Wheat… we’ll have a great breakfast and still make it to church on time!!! My fav topping is good for those with sugar issues… or just want to have more fresh fruit and calcium in their diet. Sugar Free Vanilla Yogurt mixed with crushed fresh berries. Yum!
    Yogurt and berries is such a great way to start the day. Happy waffling! ~ MaryJane

37. traceybl

This is for jennylknight So you can have waffles without spending a lot of money, check out the good will or salvation army stores. You can find a used or sometimes new waffle iron for just a buck or two. I bought two for under $5. total for both and they work great! They will usually allow you to return them, with receipt, within one or two days if they don’t work. Or plug them in in the store.

38. bibiswas

This has become my go-to recipe for waffles. I tried it with both butter and canola oil the next time – definitely more crispy with the oil. Am trying to up the nutrition quotient on this, so will be experimenting with KAF WWW flour in the future. Love the clean yeasty flavor and the fact that these waffles contain only “natural” ingredients.

39. Ron

This recipe is my all time favorite on this website.
    I did let the batter set overnight and really didn’t taste much of difference in malty flavor. I do crank up the yeast content too.
    Nothing like a real Belgium waffle in the morning.

Thank you so much for sharing this recipe. :)

40. Ted

I am on a low sodium diet, and of course, standard pancakes and waffles have a lot of sodium due to the baking powder that is used in the batter. Finding yeast based waffles seems like a great way to avoid the sodium. I notice the salt in the recipe and I am wondering if it is there simply for taste, or is it needed in the yeast rising process. Can it be eliminated or reduced? Can reduced sodium salt be used instead? Thanks.

The salt is for both in this case! I would suggest to reduce the salt by half, however you may notice that you will need to reduce the rest time as well as the yeast will be more active.-Jon

41. rcard

I added the baking powder to the yeast because my kids didn’t like the “yeasty” flavor. The only complaint was that the waffles aren’t crispy or crunchy like the commercial frozen waffles. I’ve cooked them longer and also tried toasting them, but ” it ain’t the real thing”.

Is there anything else I can do?

You could try substituting vegetable oil for the butter; and make sure you’re using the full 6 tablespoons. Beyond that, it may be that your kids simply don’t like this style of waffle, which is crisp on the outside, but soft inside… So perhaps try a different recipe? And try to use an iron that makes the flatter, American-style waffles, which tend to be crisper. Good luck – PJ

42. Alex

I followed the recipe but for some reason the waffles did not come out crisp. Would anybody know what I might have done wrong?
    Try using oil instead of butter in the recipe for a crisper waffle. ~Amy

43. Jess

Hi! I’ve been making Marion Cunningham’s Essential Overnight Raised Waffles with great success — except for one thing. I only have a Belgian waffle maker, and Cunningham’s batter is intended for a “regular” waffle maker. The waffles are still delicious, but only one side gets super crisp and beautiful. The other side, which doesn’t entirely fill the iron, stays rather pale and soft. Your recipe seems similar to Cunningham’s in spirit (an overnight rise, a yeasty flavor), and I’m excited to try it. My question is, have you tried letting the batter stand overnight at room temperature rather than in the fridge? That’s what Cunningham recommends, and the resulting flavor is tremendous. Many thanks for your help.

p.s. For those concerned about food safety, I’ve been told that the yeast overwhelms any bacteria that could potentially be harmful.

Hi Jess! The overnight rise at room temperature would be swell (ha! no pun intended!) as long as you split the recipe and created a sponge first with flour/water/yeast. I wouldn’t recommend making a sponge with milk nor letting the batter sit on the counter overnight given the milk and eggs in it. Yes, the yeast would certainly “take over” but you still run the risk of food-born illness by not refrigerating the batter. If you wanted to try a sponge method, check out our sourdough waffle recipe (http://goo.gl/dAG6fN) for ideas on adapting for the Belgian waffle iron OR email us at Baker@kingarthurflour.com for some recipe help. Best, Kim@KAF

Hi Jess, just a quick FYI, we needed to remove the link for the recipe, but we’re happy to leave the recipe name for others to reference. ~ MJ

44. jtee4short

I’m putting the Belgian waffle iron on my wish list, but for now I had to try this recipe with my normal iron! Time got away from me last night so I didn’t throw the batter together until this morning. After an hour on the counter I fired up the old iron and made a waffle. Although very thin, this was the best tasting waffle I’ve ever made! Yippee, the left over batter is in the fridge and I’m having a waffle for breakfast again tomorrow! I’m very curious to see how that one turns out and I was so glad to see that others had kept the batter in the fridge for more than one day.

Batters tend to break down a bit and get thin as they sit overnight–although the chilling can thicken it initially, you may find a bit of liquid on top when you pull it out tomorrow morning. It’s still fine to use, just give it a gentle stir. If it is very thin, you can give it a little help with 2-3 Tbs of flour and let it sit 10 minutes to absorb. Kim@KAF

45. Beverly C FitzGerald

I make belgian waffles that look exactly like this one except I use a different recipe. Next time, will try this method (with the yeast). I’m by myself, so a batch of these lasts a while. I put the cooled waffles in a plastic bag then warm one on other days.

46. Jen

These waffles sound really good! However I’m confused about the yeast. Do I add it dry with flour, etc? Or is it supposed to be activated first?