The quintessential late-March, tired of winter, self-indulgent breakfast: Maple-Bacon Biscuit Bake

IMG_1952

Maple. Bacon. Biscuits.

Salty/chewy. Sweet & gooey. Soft and tender and… WHOO-EE!

Was there ever a marriage more heaven-made than this?

Bacon, companion of eggs and darling of the breakfast crowd since time immemorial, has left its traditional morning time slot and is appearing in all kinds of new settings.

Try bacon cupcakes. Bacon cookies. Even bacon-flavored cotton candy – no joke, try Googling it.

With the new focus on salty-sweet desserts, introducing bacon to the pastry equation is a no-brainer. After all, there’s nothing in the realm of salt quite so tasty, so nuanced, and with such compelling texture as a slice of crisp-cooked bacon.

Still, some of us feel the need to crawl before we walk. So, rather than just jump into the fray (fry?) by whipping up a batch of chocolate-covered bacon, I thought I’d start small and sensible.

Meet Maple-Bacon Biscuit Bake, my new BBF: best breakfast friend.

Are you (almost) ready to take the bacon dessert plunge? Dip your toe in the water with this easy, ridiculously tasty treat.

Let’s start with the bacon; the recipe calls for half a pound. But I decided to cook an entire pound, since I figured I’d have to test the recipe at least twice. Which I did. Without protest.

The very easiest way to cook bacon is in the oven. Line a baking sheet with parchment, for easy cleanup; set a rack on top. Lay bacon on the rack, trying not to overlap the slices too much.

Bake the bacon in a preheated 350°F oven for 30 to 40 minutes, until it’s as done as you like.

I baked this batch until golden, but not too brown, since it’s going to cook a bit more with the biscuits.

All the burned-on bits stick to the parchment, leaving you a pan that doesn’t need scrubbing!

When the bacon has cooled enough to handle, chop it into 1/2″ to 3/4″ pieces; a pair of scissors is ideal for this task.

Now, start preheating the oven to 475°F. Lightly grease an 8″ square pan or 9″ round pan.

Place the following in a bowl:

1/2 pound bacon, cooked and chopped
1/3 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
1/4 cup (1 ounce) King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
1/4 cup (2 3/4 ounces) maple syrup
2 tablespoons melted butter

Can you substitute bacon grease for butter? Sure; either option is tasty.

Mix until thoroughly combined. Spread in the prepared pan.

Next, the biscuits.

Whisk together the following:

2 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
2 teaspoons Bakewell Cream*
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt

*If you don’t have Bakewell Cream, substitute 2 teaspoons baking powder and omit the baking soda.

White flour is white, right? Well, not all flour is pure white, as you may be able to see in the picture above. Compared to the Bakewell Cream and baking soda in the photo, our flour is off-white; a lovely cream color.

That’s because it’s aged by Mother Nature, rather than bleached with chemicals. And what does THAT mean? All fresh-milled flour, unless it’s going to be used immediately (e.g., whole wheat flour you mill yourself), should “age” for a few weeks before you bake with it. If this aging process is skipped, the flour tends to be “bucky,” in baker’s parlance; it just doesn’t behave well.

And why is this? For the food scientists among you, acidity gradually increases as flour ages, which tends to strengthen  gluten in dough. The amount of free fatty acids in the flour increases, which also improves its baking quality. And finally, proteolytic enzyme activity decreases with aging; this enzyme activity is another factor that negatively affects gluten development.

Some millers bleach flour by adding chemicals. These chemicals strengthen gluten, and therefore can step in for the several-week aging process; time is money, and most big businesses have to report to stockholders focused on their bottom line.

But bleaching turns flour stark white; and adds unwanted chemicals. King Arthur Flour has never been bleached; we’re employee-owned, report only to ourselves and, though the bottom line is critical, the quality of our flour is the key to our 221 years of success.

“Never Bleached – Never Bromated.” (Bromate is another chemical strengthener.) That’s our story, and we’re sticking to it!

Wow, how’d I get off on that tangent? Yes, flour… after 20 years here at King Arthur, it’s one of my passions.

Down, girl! Let’s get back to the recipe.

Add 1/4 cup (4 tablespoons) cold butter, cut in pats.

Work in the butter until the mixture is crumbly; some larger, pea-sized pieces of butter may remain intact.

Add 1 cup cold milk or cold buttermilk, stirring to make a sticky dough.

Drop the dough in heaping tablespoonfuls atop the syrup in the pan.

A tablespoon cookie scoop, slightly overfilled, works well here.

Bake the biscuits for 10 minutes. Turn the oven off, and leave them in the oven for an additional 5 to 10 minutes, until they’re golden brown.

Like this.

Remove the biscuits from the oven.

OK, are you ready for some ooey-gooey goodness?

Immediately turn the pan over onto a serving plate. Lift it off, and scrape any syrup left in the pan onto the biscuits.

Pull biscuits apart to serve.

Provide plenty of napkins and/or, even better, encourage guests to lick their fingers.

Don’t worry; Emily Post has left the building.

Read, rate, and review (please) our recipe for Maple-Bacon Biscuit Bake.

comments

1. drewsmom

Oh my goodness! These look amazing and well worth a trip to the grocery store to get bacon. They will be perfect for a dreary wet weekend breakfast.

2. chinchillalover

Is there anyone in the world who doesn`t like bacon,cuz I have never met one EVER.I know there are people in the world who are vegetarians ,BUT SERIOUSLY DID ANYONE EVER NOT LIKE BACON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Never met anyone yet – but I’ll bet someone will chime in here who doesn’t. This is an equal-opportunity-to-like-what-you-want blog! PJH

3. Margy

Mmmmm! I’m not a huge maple fan, but this looks delish! So funny: I actually just finished off the last piece of a bacon & chocolate bar from a specialty candy store. 2 major food groups in one bar!;-D

4. Leanne

I love bacon, but my husband insists bacon needs to be kept separate from the sweet. Could I halve this recipe, successfully, or even quarter it, for person-size servings? Or does it freeze/refrigerate well?

Leanne, I wouldn’t try cutting it back; the ingredients would be in such small increments, and you’d need to find an odd-sized pan. But you could definitely bake these, then freeze individual servings. Or you could bake the whole thing, separating the topping in the pan so that one side was bacon, one side walnuts – that way you could both enjoy them! PJH

5. Holly

I have some vegetarians in the family. Wonder how they would be with walnuts? Not the same but maybe pretty good? Probably better than faux bacon?

I’d definitely go with the walnuts – great idea, Holly, and not just for vegetarians! PJH

6. wingboy

Geez. What does that come out to? About 45 bazillion calories and a bypass? (They do look good. Really good. But I’m going to pass on this one. Went to the Dr. earlier this week. Can you tell? *sigh*)

Actually, Tom – it’s not as bad as you’d think. There are about 20 pieces of bacon in a pound, so this works out to a little more than 1/2 piece of bacon – fully cooked and drained, no grease – for each biscuit. Less than 1 teaspoon each sugar and maple syrup in the topping, and about 1/3 teaspoon butter; and a little less than a teaspoon of butter in the biscuits themselves. The rest is just the usual flour, milk, etc. Hope your doctor’s visit doesn’t curtail your baking entirely… :( PJH

7. Cindy leigh

I ate vegetarian for 6 years, and veg bacon is really good. Crisps nicely, good flavor. If I were still a vegetarian, I wouldn’t hesitate to try it here. It’s in the freezer section, I think I used Morningstar Farms.

8. "sandra Alicante"

I don’t have any maple syrup on hand, due to the fact I dropped it on the steps last summer, so I feel a bacon buttie coming on!
    (To those who have no idea what I’m on about, it is a sandwich made with soft fresh bread, buttered, with crispy bacon in it. Usually drizzled with HP brown sauce). The brown sauce is peculiar to the UK, a bit like BBQ sauce but not so sweet.

9. Cindy leigh

Tom, I feel your pain! I have similar concerns so i usually tinker with recipes until they suit my restrictions. For instance, here I would use turkey bacon, and in the dough I would do a test run with half canola oil and half butter, and a drop of butter extract. Then I would replace half the flour with white wheat, and maybe some high maize. Would it taste exactly like the original? Probably not quite, but it would still be good. I have learned that I can make similar modifications with most recipes. Most important, if I halve the recipe, we are not tempted by seconds or thirds!!
    I found that if we deny ourselves too much, then it’s easier to fall off track. So I make “modified” treats like baked doughnuts, scones, etc., to enjoy occasionally. And having all the options from KAF (like high maize, flax, whole grains, multi grains, etc) helps me put healthy ingredients in.
    Plus the bakers on the hotline are good resources for discussing healthy modifications.
    Best,
    Cindy

Thanks, Cindy – all good points. One of my near-term goals is to provide healthier alternatives where possible, in the tips box at the right of the recipe, for recipes where they work well. In the meantime – it’s always good to share what you make with as many people as possible, to “limit your exposure”! PJH

10. renee

School is closed due to ice today! These will be great!

Well, talk about a “tired of winter” breakfast – this is the perfect occasion! :) PJH

11. Journey09

This looks perfect for the twenty or so hungry firemen I have to feed tomorrow after a training event. Do you see any problems with doubling (or tripling) this recipe?
    I do not see any problem with doing that. Sometimes, cutting back a little on the salt is done. They will love you! Elisabeth

12. jennlievers

Oh, wow… I know what I’m doing with that pound of bacon I have in the freezer :) Half to go on the pizza tonight and the other half for that lovely recipe. My husband *loves* bacon, this will be a nice treat for everyone. Thanks again, dear PJ!

Enjoy the heck out of both the pizza and biscuits, Jennifer – PJH

13. wingboy

Thanks PJ. Thanks Cindy.

My Dr. insists I need to reduce the weight hanging off my spine – by half.

The two teenage males across the street have moved out (black hole 1 and black hole 2 – they could down 3 doz cookies in the blink of an eye). They were a great outlet for my baking.

So, I’m going to need to be far more discriminating in what and how often I bake. I’m starting to cut recipes in half or quarters which brings its own set of challenges.

I hear you, Tom. “Sorry for your troubles,” as my Irish grandma used to say. Isn’t it fun getting older? NOT. Good luck. My solution is to eat very, very little on the weekends, after working here all week… PJH

You could try contacting a local church, or day care center to see if they ever look for food donations. Some places have stricter rules than others, but many places are very happy to be able to pass along extras to those who need a little extra help. ~ MaryJane

14. RumblyTumbly

Another vegetarian recommendation: veggie sausage. I think it has more flavor than veggie bacon, and sausage and maple syrup: yumumumum. Brings me back to those round sausage disks I used to get at diners as a kid, or for school lunch on pancake day (we only had links in the house, so the round slices were exotic to me). I used to break them up and let them soak in the syrup (Fake maple syrup!) while I ate the rest. Sorry about the proustian tangent there. But back to veggie sausage-for the health conscious among you it’s often low- or even no fat. Sounds like a bad idea but actually really tasty! Not to guilt the full bacon, though, I’m a believer in a little of what you fancy . .

Proustian tangents are always a pleasure, RT… :) PJH

15. fran16250

to Sandra Alicante,
    A bacon buttie!!? Now that sounds pretty great to me, bacon butter and bread. What’s not to love?
    We are big on bacon in my house, my son will LOVE these. I love the bakewell cream, it has amazing rise. I also like that this is a quick recipe (no rising) so I can make it in the morning before I tackle the chocolate mouse cake with raspberries. Happy Baking! (and eating!)

16. jswc

Bacon? Check…. Butter? Check… Sweet? Check… Looks to me as if the only major food groups not represented are cheese and mayo! Absolutely cannot wait to try these for brunch tomorrow. They’re singing a siren song directly in my ear.
    -Jeanne from NJ

17. gaitedgirl

You had me at bacon but you stole my heart with the biscuit! Gonna have to try this this ASAP! But I agree with Cindy Leigh-I would def. use turkey bacon. I wouldn’t substitute is completely but I’d go for something like 50 turkey/50 reg bacon.

@WingBoy – I feel your pain as well. My husband has back issues and the doctors have told him he needs to be careful about his weight because all of his excess weight goes straight to his stomach and waist. My family has a history of obesity and I’m fighting genetics to keep my weight off and it’s a daily struggle but you always have to remember that you can cut corners but you shouldn’t deny yourself anything. If you want a choc chip cookie, eat the cookie because if you deny yourself, there’s a good chance that you’ll binge later on. But good luck with your weight loss – you know there’ll be folks out there rooting for you!!

@CindyLeigh – baked doughnuts?? Where? Are you using the KAF doughnut pan for this? I have a donut cutter but don’t have the pan. As I told Tom just now, my husband and I are trying to watch what we eat and we adore doughnuts.

Try this Doughnut Muffin recipe in our doughnut pan. Makes like 13 doughnuts, so you have to bake in batches, but oh, boy….. don’t bother to coat with butter as the recipe says, simply shake in a bag of cinnamon-sugar right as you take them out of the oven. SO good. PJH

18. pamscanlon

I’m sure these are best right out of the oven, but do they reheat well?

Yes, fairly well. they don’t regain their just-turned-out ooey-gooeyness, but they’re still tasty. PJH

19. rescuepupsmf

Plugged in the ingredients and came up with the nutritional info based on making 16 biscuits.

Bacon Maple Biscuits

Dietary Fiber 0.2g
    Sugars 6g
    Protein 2.8g

Vitamin A 1% Vitamin C 2%
    Calcium 0% Iron 3%

20. Jude

OK, I am not a meat eater and seriously know nothing about meat, but will surely be making this for some very special people who do eat meat. Can anyone recommend a great bacon for this……I would think there must be some thick or apple wood something or other that would really shine here. Thanks.

Jude, you might try posting your question on our community; it’s a great place for the back-and-forth dialogue this request will likely generate. In the meantime, as far as national brands go, I’m partial to Oscar Mayer thick-cut bacon. PJH

1. dukej8

I like the Oscar Mayer lower sodium bacon, and you won’t notice that the sodium is lower. I also like a bacon sandwich, buttered bread with bacon which has been cooked to golden brown perfection. The Bakewell Cream biscuits are heavenly. Now, with the addition of bacon and maple syrup, an unforgettable experience.

21. Cindy Leigh

Gaitedgirl, yes, the doughnut pan from KAF, I love it. The baked apple cider doughnut recipe is on the baking circle under my name (I think!). If you can’t find it, leave me a msg there and I’ll get it to you. I’ve also used the pan for a maple glazed pumpkin doughnuts. They were both very good.
    Cindy

22. cartvl219

I’ve been cooking bacon in the oven for quite a while now. I use a rimmed baking pan (jelly roll pan) and line it with non-stick foil, pressing it into the corners. It just covers the surface and sides of the pan. Lay out the bacon – 1/2 pound – on the foil. Bake 20-25 minutes at 400 degrees. Drain on paper towels. Carefully fold and roll up the foil after it’s cooled and toss in the trash. Put the pan back in the cupboard – perfectly clean!!

23. Mike G

When Gael mentioned to me she needed bacon this AM I had a suspicion it was your recipe as soon as she told me what it was for. OMG!!!

Down, boy! Hope the Vermont Smoke & Cure works well… :) PJH

24. Debbi

OH.MY.GOD. I will be making these, probably today, but tomorrow for breakfast if I am able to show any restraint. One quick question. I’m not a fan of maple ANYTHING, would honey work as well?

Also, I have a niece who is a quasi-vegetarian… she eats poultry, but not beef, pork or seafood, but will not, under any circumstances, eat bacon, ham or sausage. Even if it’s made with chicken or turkey. Personally, I don’t get it, but hey, to each their own, right? That just means more tasty bacon for me! ;o)

@Jude: Farmland makes a great bacon, and if you live in the Ohio/PA area, Giant Eagle brand is also pretty good. Also, Indiana Kitchen is pretty tasty, and not too pricey. Since I can’t afford to (am too cheap too?) pay more than about $4 for a pound of bacon, I can’t comment on the more “gourmet” brands.

Honey might burn, Debbi; you’d be safer with corn syrup, agave, cane syrup, or something else. Or just up the butter and sugar if you like – should be just fine. And personally, with bacon costing what it does these days, I’m sticking with store brand for the foreseeable future. Though Boar’s Head also tempts me, and is slightly less expensive than national brands. PJH

25. bjmlorenz

Made this morning with my 5 and 3 year old helping. I make bacon in the oven all the time, but the tip with the rack and parchment paper worked really nicely. Used half a cup whole wheat flour and a bit more buttermilk but they were fantastic. Love the Bakewell cream!

Glad to hear you enjoyed these – thanks for sharing. PJH

26. cliocooks

I plan on making this with bacon, but like the walnut suggestion too. I wonder if smokehouse almonds would be an even better substitute for the bacon?

I’ve found that whole almonds tend to become soggy when baked in the kind of gooey topping these buns feature. if you don’t mind a less-than-crisp texture, then go for it PJH

27. cr8zyamy

Oh Holy crow! My son is going to wake up very happy indeed. I will hit the store for the bacon when I am done with my class. To bad my husband is out of town or he’d be driving to the store now. He loves bacon too.

28. mike g

we used some other bacon I had & they were off the charts!!!!Id love to do this on a campfire in a dutch oven. hard to sample in store though (more 4 me )

Bet the Baker’s Store customers were “happy campers” enjoying the samples this morning, Mike- :) PJH

29. jennlievers

@PJ… we did enjoy the heck out of our two meals :)

We made this recipe this morning. Best biscuits, light and fluffy… my bacon maple sauce didn’t seem to be as runny as yours, actually quite crunchy, hmm… Very tasty, but the maple flavor was not very strong. I imagine if I had maple sugar, I could substitute that for the brown sugar to intensify the maple flavor, what do you think? Any suggestions for a runnier sauce (I didn’t have to scrape my pan when I turned them out, it was all crystallized and stuck to the biscuits. I did leave them in the oven with it turned off for a full 10 minutes and we let them cool a bit on the platter as we have two small children and didn’t want any burnt fingers or tongues.

Loved it! Want to do it again for a brunch and would love any tips for making the sauce saucier.

Jenn, try this:

1/2 pound bacon, cooked
    1/2 cup brown sugar
    2 tablespoons King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
    1/4 cup maple syrup
    2 tablespoons melted butter

This is where I started, and gradually cut back on everything to save calories/fat… But ramp it back up, if you like. The extra sugar definitely increases the gooey-ness quotient. And try adding some maple flavor – it’s probably a less expensive option than real maple sugar (though of course, that would be awesome…) – PJH

30. johnsonca

This is amazingly good!!! Despite advice to the contrary, I did cut the recipe in half (I have an over-size loaf pan that was perfect). It worked out perfectly. This is likely the best maple-bacon thing I’ve ever tasted!! And while I think it could be great with yeast rolls, I think that it was perfect with the biscuits, and then elevates them for a special occasion, without having to spend hours (that I sometimes just don’t have!). Thanks!!

Oh, that’s so good to hear, that you were able to cut the recipe in half – I didn’t even think about a loaf pan, DUH. Thanks so much for sharing your results – and I agree about yeast rolls vs. biscuits. Biscuits are under-utilized, in my opinion. Much as I love yeast baking, sometimes biscuits are the perfect solution. PJH

31. Nancy

@rescuepupsmf

Where do you ‘plug in the ingredients’ to come up with the nutritional info? What a great resource! Thanks.

32. smilemore

PJ, I am not a blog reader. Actually, I disliked blogs quite openly. That is, until I met yours. Now, I am an addict. Not a good thing! I made bumbleberry pies last night for dessert. Tonight, bacon is cooking in the oven with the smell wafting through the house. Tomorrow morning, Lord willing, we will have your scrumptious maple bacon biscuit bake. It looks divine! I am in trouble though. I told my husband that I love him, and baking this was a way to show him. His response- no, you are trying to kill me! I need to start looking how to make these things healthier. Thanks for your inspiration!

Thanks for your very kind words – glad we’ve converted you to a blog “apprecianado”! One of my goals for this coming year is to “healthify” many of the recipes we post by adding whole wheat, Hi-maize, flax, and other healthier ingredients. The challenge will be – at NO sacrifice to taste. I like a good challenge! Thanks again for your feedback here- PJH

33. LeeB

As you work toward your goal to “healthify” your recipes I want to give you some food for thought. I teach in my healthy eating classes that the best way to insure healthy food is to be sure it is the least processed possible. Also realize the conventional diet dictocrats are finally coming around to understanding this also applies to fats….

34. cwcdesign

PJ, I have my bacon in the oven now. My 17-year-old is looking forward to trying these. At least I’m learning to read the full recipe – I thought you used a whole pound of bacon – that would be really decadent!
    Jude – in NE Colonial bacon is a good brand (I’m cooking maple flavored – I can smell the maple)
    Sandra Alicante – we’ve found HP Sauce in the Int’l section of Shaw’s supermarkets – not others so far
    gaitedgirl – the doughnut muffins are terrific!
    I’m going to add the extra brown sugar – it’s a nice day – we’ll be able to walk it off!! Thanks for all the great recipes and blogs, PJ.

35. Susan S

On Spring break and will definitely try this recipe. Sometimes I like breakfast for dinner so these would be wonderful with a cheese omelet or scrambed eggs and fresh fruit. I like the idea of half a recipe in a loaf pan I need to lose weight, too. MANY THANKS to rescuepupsmf for nutritional data. (Do you have a rescue pup? We got a rescue 19 mth from the pound after we lost our beloved dogs to cancer – 10 and 11 yr olds) Speaking of pups, PJ do you know what the spices are in the dog biscuit mix? I’ve used it for years and my dogs loved them. I am assuming no onion or garlic powder. Love this blog by the way!

Glad the biscuit mix is a hit with your pups, Susan. I’ll see if I can find out what specific spices are in it and get back to you- PJH

I found out the spices were originally parsley and garlic, but the garlic has been dropped; we’re just running through the last of the old batch before launching the new formula. PJH

36. Regina Chennault

I baked this yesterday for breakfast, but I had a problem– the bacon syrup stuck to the bottom of the pan when I inverted the biscuits. Do you know what might go wrong?

Here’s what I did: I used nonstick pan and sprayed with cooking spray. I followed exact proportion on the bacon syrup ingredients– but when I mixed them up the mixture was really thick like thick paste/glue. Could this be the problem?

My biscuits came out a bit dense too– I don’t think I over-mixed… will it make the biscuits more tender if I added in a little more milk (I used milk for the biscuits)?

I still have half pack of bacon left, and want to try it out again. Thanks in advance for your help!

Regina, it’s OK for some of the topping to stick in the pan; when it does, just scrape it out of the pan onto the biscuits. However, it sounds like all the topping stuck. Is this the syrup proportions you used? The recipe has changed a bit since it was originally posted:

1/3 cup brown sugar
    1/4 cup King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
    1/4 cup maple syrup
    2 tablespoons melted butter

This makes a softer, looser syrup. As for the biscuits, are you sure your oven was hot enough (tested with an independent thermometer, beyond your oven dial)? And that your baking powder was fresh? A little more milk could help, too. Hope your second batch meets expectations! PJH

37. Regina Chennault

Hi PJ,

Thanks for your reply. To answer your question, yes that was the recipe I followed for the bacon syrup. The syrup mixture (before baking) was not even slightly runny– it was thick and gluey paste like. What do you suggest for a runnier syrup mixture? I was looking for a thick sauce (like caramel) consistence so when I flip the biscuit over there will be some sauce dripping…

As for biscuits, I will test the oven temperature with a thermometer next time, to be sure the oven is hot enough. How does the oven temperature affect the texture of biscuits (I am new at baking biscuits)?

Thanks again!

Regina, the hotter the oven, the faster the biscuits will rise before they set – so you want to make sure your oven is set at the temperature the recipe calls for. And, for a thinner syrup, try adding more maple syrup (or other syrup), less brown sugar. The sugar tends to harden as it bakes, while the syrup will remain liquid. Enjoy – PJH

38. barrie2

I made these this morning and they came out almost exactly like what you show in your pictures. A friend had made this using the original “goo” amounts and she said it was not gooey at all. Based on that feedback from her, I used the amounts you said you started with (see below) and it was perfect – thick when you mix it up, but a thin-medium gooey consistency when baked and turned out:
    the ratio I used:
    1/2 cup brown sugar
    2 tablespoons King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
    1/4 cup maple syrup
    2 tablespoons melted butter

I used a light colored aluminum pan (similar to yours) and greased it with Pam (it was NOT a non-stick). I turned it out IMMEDIATELY after coming out of the oven and there was very little goo stuck in the pan. It turned out nicely. My biscuits were a little dense and did not brown as well as yours, but were still very good. The 475 temp scared me a little, so I was a little shy on the heat. Making them again, I wouldn’t hesitate to crank it to a full 475. Also, my baking powder is at the dregs, so a fresh can would probably help!

But, overall, we were very pleased and I would make them again. But, I personally think the above “goo ratio” is the perfect amount and the ratio that should be used.

Endorsement of the goo ratio? Love it! Thanks for sharing – PJH

39. "Wine Girl"

The syrup on this recipe was not too sweet, which is a plus in our house. However I was disappointed in this recipe. First – their was not enough of the syrup/bacon mixture to provide good coverage for each biscuit. Second – the biscuits lacked flavor. While I appreciated the easy preparation for a Sunday morning, we just weren’t that overly thrilled with the outcome. I probably won’t be making again.

40. ahoertkorn

These were a HUGE hit! The biscuits were fluffy and delicious, and the bacon maple syrup put them over the top. They elicited more comments and compliments than anything I have ever baked, and I bake A LOT! I made them this morning for the second time this week because some friends had missed out on the first batch and the news had traveled fast of “magical porcine patisseries”. Next time (and there will be many next times, I’m sure) I will line the pan with parchment or non-stick aluminum foil so none of the topping sticks to the pan and gets wasted. Perfection!

I love your enthusiasm! Those biscuits ARE good, aren’t they? Thanks for sharing your success here – PJH

41. MissMak

Can I assemble the whole thing the night before and bake in the morning or is that not a good idea? Has anyone tried? I want to bring them to the office for Friday breakfast, but I don’t want to have to make biscuits in the morning :)
    I don’t think PJ tested the overnight version. I’d say make the biscuits and put them on a sheet pan in the freezer the night before. Then, in the morning just whip up the maple-ness, add the frozen biscuits and pop in the oven. Add about 8 minutes or so to the bake time, and you should be golden. Have fun! ~ MaryJane

42. Julie

I messed up the biscuit part (pretty sure I left out a whole cup of flour somehow) but I’m pleased to say that the result, although flat and a little sullen-looking, was edible — and it turns out that when messed up biscuits are covered in half a pound of maple-coated bacon, no one really complains ;)

43. Holly

This recipe was OUTSTANDING and I will definitely make this again. I followed another reviewer’s suggestion and lined the 8×8 pan with parchment paper and sprayed it with cooking spray, but otherwise made the recipe according to the directions. The topping stayed on the biscuits perfectly. This will be made again and again at my house – a new favorite! YUM.

44. Lina

How does making the biscuits with buttermilk/vs. reg. milk compare? Obviously, the baking soda would react the the acidic buttermilk, but do they come out the same way with either liquid?

Thanks!
    As long as you use baking soda with the buttermilk to balance the acid/alkali, you should be fine. The acid is known to make the biscuits more tender. ~Amy

45. timjanet54

these look wonderful! I’d like to make them for Christmas, but wondered if anyone has tried them Gluten-free? I imagine any GF biscuit mix or recipe would work — any thoughts?

Yes, your GF biscuit mix/recipe should work just fine – enjoy! PJH

1. KP

Thank you for asking this question! I was wondering if I could substitute the regular flour in this recipe for KAF GF flour & if it would turn out the same.

Thanks!

KP, we recommend using our gluten-free all purpose flour in recipes that were designed to be gluten-free if at all possible, because some recipes won’t convert well to gluten-free even if you follow all the conversions correctly.
      The good news is that we have a tried and tested gluten-free biscuit recipe, which can still receive the same maple-bacon treatment. Start with this biscuit recipe here, which uses our gluten-free baking mix (even easier than using gluten-free flour and xathan gum, it already has the stabilizers in it!): http://bit.ly/1D3cubO. Prepare the maple-bacon deliciousness as instructed in the blog, but replace the 1/4 c. flour with 2 tablespoons of cornstarch. Pour this sweet and savory jam into the bottom of the pan and then dollop the gluten-free biscuits on top. Bake as instructed in the recipe and enjoy! Happy gluten-free baking! –Kye@KAF

46. Kati

I made these this morning using almond milk and Earth Balance since we have dairy allergies in the family, and they turned out great.

Try this, Cassie: Starting this biscuit recipe, add 3/4 teaspoon salt and 1 tablespoon baking powder. Once you’ve made the biscuit dough, go from there with the Maple-Bacon Biscuit Bake instructions. Good luck – PJH

47. Diana Fox

I would like to make this for a Christmas gift to give to friends. Could I make it the night before so they can bake it Christmas Day? Could I make it and freeze it? It might change the baking time but should be good. I make and freeze biscuits all the time.

1. MaryJane Robbins

Because this is best made and baked right away, you may want to give them the biscuit dry ingredients and the topping dry ingredients in pretty bags, with directions on how to put the rest together. That way they have a quick mix that is homemade with love, and fresh breakfast treats whenever they want. ~ MJ

48. Mary Lynn

Just made these this morning to see if they would be a good choice for “make ahead” Christmas morning. Though they turned out perfectly, I was quite disappointed in the taste. When you see that sticky bun-like topping your brain expects a yeasty bread to come along with it. Nope – just biscuit. Would not pair these together. So . . my Christmas breakfast will be the biscuits with country ham and/or jam.

49. S. Middleton

I have been making KAF cinnamon rolls for years, but tried these this year. Oh. My. Goodness. DIVINE! Having been ill for several days, I was not looking forward to making the rolls (time, not because they aren’t tasty!), but found this recipe and tried it out. My husband, who is indifferent to “bread”, was amazed and complimented me several times on the fabulous flavor and tenderness of the biscuits. The only change I made was to cut the bacon before cooking it up. Thank you, once again, KAF, for giving my family another awesome recipe that is going to be added into family holiday traditions!

Sl glad you enjoyed these – and thanks for helping us spread the word! Definitely a breakfast “keeper.” PJH