Double Chocolate Zucchini Bread: Eat your vegetables! And chocolate.

DSC_1737

You know what the nice thing about zucchini is?

Ummmmm….

Well, for one thing, you don’t have to peel it.

And it’s got a pretty neutral flavor, so it doesn’t clash with the tomatoes on your shish-kebab, or the onions and Parmesan in your frittata.

Plus it grows really, really easily.

And very, very fast.

To say nothing of extremely large.

Put it all together, and you have every home gardener’s “favorite” time of the year:

The annual Zucchini Attack, a.k.a. Season of the Unfettered Mammoth Squash.

Luckily, there are plenty of ways to think about zucchini, other than as the biggest garden pest ever.

In fact, we offer nearly 2 dozen recipes for your fresh-picked zukes at our online recipe site – including our most-Pinned recipe ever, Baked Zucchini Sticks and Sweet Onion Dip.

The following recipe takes advantage of zucchini’s aforementioned neutral flavor, plus its soft texture, to create nicely dense, dark-chocolate bread. Semisweet chips create soft little pools of fudge that complement the bread’s nicely moist texture very well, thank you.

Are you ready to back off dissing your zukes, and put them to tasty use?

Try our Double Chocolate Zucchini Bread. And our Parmesan-scented Zucchini-Cheese Pancakes. And Orange-Zucchini Muffins. And Chocolate Zucchini Cake.

But let’s go with the bread first, OK?

Preheat the oven to 350°F; lightly grease an 8 1/2″ x 4 1/2″ loaf pan.

Did you know that by clicking anywhere on this block of pictures, you can enlarge them to full size? Go ahead, give it a try; it’ll work for any of our gridded photos.

Mix the following in a large bowl, beating until smooth:

2 large eggs
1/3 cup honey
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Add the following, stirring to combine:

1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon espresso powder, optional
1/3 cup King Arthur All-Purpose Baking Cocoa or Dutch-process cocoa
1 2/3 cups (7 1/8 ounces) King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour

Stir in 1 cup chocolate chips, and 2 cups shredded, unpeeled zucchini, gently pressed into the cup; this will be about 8 to 12 ounces of zucchini, about 1 medium-small (8″ or so) zuke.

Pour the batter into the prepared pan.

Bake the bread for 65 to 75 minutes, until the loaf tests done.

A toothpick or cake tester inserted into the center will come out clean, save for perhaps a light smear of chocolate from the melted chips.

Remove the bread from the oven, and let it cool for 10 to 15 minutes before loosening the edges…

…and turning it out of the pan onto a rack.

Cool completely before slicing; store well-wrapped, at room temperature.

A smear of Nutella wouldn’t be amiss…

Read, bake, and review (please) our recipe for Double Chocolate Zucchini Bread.

comments

1. Karen

I was the “lucky” recipient of four almost baseball bat sized zukes last weekend and, while looking for a “different” zuke recipe, discovered this one. Well, I made the recipe and after allowing it to “age” overnight wrapped in aluminum foil, I took it to work for my co-workers to try. Of course, there were the usual lip curls when I mentioned zucchini was in the bread. But, just one whiff and then a small taste, and they were hooked. This loaf could disguise itself as a brownie without much trouble. By that, I mean, the taste is awesome and the texture is somewhere between cakey and fudgey. All in all a marvelous keepsake recipe. P.S. I was out of chocolate chips so used semi-sweet chocolate chunks instead. Y-U-M-M-Y!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. AMSFL

Just wondering if this would work with KA Gluten Free Flour.

We don’t have a gluten-free version, sorry. To try a conversion, the general guide is to use 1/2 teaspoon of Xanthan Gum for every 1 cup of g-f flour. Good Luck. Frank @ KAF.

3. Risa

I was wondering could I substitute king Arthur gluten flour?

4. Joanna

Can this be made in the zojirushi bread maker? What adjustments would it require? I’d love to see more recipes for the zojirushi or instructions for adjusting recipes to using it. With this heat I don’t want to heat the whole house baking but still love by baking “fix” and the yummy results. Love the blog keep up the good work!

We have not tried this one in the Zo. But it may work, using the Cake Cycle. Give it a try. Frank @ KAF.

5. Pat Callaham

Do you think summer yellow squash would work just as well?

I freshly mill my flour which would be whole grain. How would you substitute whole grain for the amount of flour called for?

I would probably use Spelt or Soft White Wheat.

Thanks.

Yes, yellow squash works just as well. The flour substitution will be an experiment. Spelt is very soft, and Soft White Wheat won’t take up as much liquid, even with the bran content. You may find you need more flour to support this wet batter. Give it a try.

6. btrofel4

This must be good and I’m sure you must have put plenty of love into making this loaf considering there’s even a little heart smack dab in the middle of the slice that you took a picture of! ;o)

7. Eileen

Can some of the vegetable oil be replaced with apple sauce or light olive oil?

Try a 50:50 blend. Frank @ KAF.

8. narfing

This is probably one of my favorite KAF recipes EVER. I love it and made it just as is – Perfect! I’ve also made it into 18 regular muffins. Made it into 48 mini muffins. Made it using all applesauce instead of oil – yum! Made it with white whole wheat flour instead of AP flour – still yum!

I posted the ingredients on my blog Whisk Together, but made my own instructions.

Thanks for sharing your successful ingredient substitution. Great to know! Frank @ KAF.

9. brush

Can this bread be frozen? I’d like to make several loaves and put them in the freezer.

Yes, it holds just fine in the freezer, about 3 months. Make the most of all that fresh zucchini! Frank @ KAF.

10. pianogrl

I made a vegan version of this bread using flax meal instead of egg– and applesauce (swapped out for the oil). I think I used a little more zucchini as well. It turned out nicely!
    Awesome, thanks for sharing the vegan version! ~ MaryJane

11. Anne

Hi, PJ. I am inspired – I am going to make this tomorrow, as my take-along contribution to a tea party on Friday. But I need you to clarify one point for me on this recipe. You mentioned 8 ounces of shredded zucchini but the printed version said 12 ounces. So how many ounces is two cups of shredded zucchini? I could have done the weighing test myself, but I bet you have the info handy. Right? Thanks.

Ah, zucchini. We have been going round and round on the volume:weight conversion. The differences are all due to the size of the zucchini you are using and the size of the grater. The larger the zucchini, the more fibrous and “wet” the flesh. The grater used influences the “pack” in the measuring cup. PJ retested this again the other day. We’re going to stick with the 1 cup:8 ounce conversion, this causes the least amount of variance. Frank @ KAF.

Anne, if you just measure the zucchini by volume, not weight, you won’t need to worry, OK? Some zukes are juicier (thus heavier) than others… Sorry for the confusion. PJH

12. Anne

Hi, Frank. Thanks for your response to my question. Do you mean 2 cups = 8 ounces? I appreciate the possible variation in the volume/weight conversion in shredded zucchini. I wonder whether I should include any liquid resultant from the grating as part of the total weight. Or should I actually give the shredded zucchini a gentle squeeze before measurement? This would influence the overall flour/liquid ratio in the recipe, would it?

Yes, I am one of those home cooks who study a new recipe carefully before venturing into the kitchen. An old habit.

Anne, here’s the way I measure zucchini – I grate it in my food processor, and immediately spoon it into a measuring cup, just patting it down VERY gently, then leveling off. I never get any liquid, so I don’t need to squeeze it. I’ve stopped weighing zucchini, since it varies so wildly – I measure this particular ingredient strictly by volume, and it seems to work just fine… Hope this helps – PJH

13. Lauri Marie

Do you think you could add in some mini chips too? And maybe a chocolate-espresso glaze on top? I mean, you are eating some veggies and if you are making it sweet, why not go a little further?

You betcha, Lauri – the more add-ins and toppings, the better! Like your blog focus, BTW… :) PJH

14. Anne

PJ, thanks so much for telling us how you did the shredded zucchini. I don’t use zucchini in baking often – not at all, in fact. So please pardon my ignorance. I baked the bread last evening. It turned out quite well in appearance. The kitchen was filled with sweet chocolate aroma as the bread baked. And we’ll find out how it tastes this afternoon.
    The weight of the shredded zucchini? One cup weighed 4 and 3/8 ounces and the second cup was 4 and 5/8 ounces. That made a total of nine ounces for the two cups. Close enough. (I used my Microplane.)
    BTW, I baked the KAF sourdough chocolate cake last month and it was super. But it’s fun to try new recipes. Can’t have the same chocolate cake every time.
    Thanks again. Keep those good postings coming!

Anne, you HAVE to try our Chocolate Zucchini Cake – it’s one of the very best chocolate cakes I’ve ever had… Thanks for your understanding about the inexact {science” of weighing ingredients. It’s good to be open-minded and flexible in the kitchen, for sure. Cheers! PJH

15. larrym17

I just made this bread yesterday and it is more than wonderful. What a great recipe to use all the zucchini from the garden. One comment that I would like to make however, is the size of the baking pan in the directions. I tried to use the recommended size but my instincts told me that it was going to overflow. So, I transferred it to my regular bread pan and it came out perfect. I can’t decide if this is a dessert or just a wonderful bread for breakfast. As always, KA is the Best.

Aw, thanks, Larry! PJH

16. Angie

Loved this bread! I doubled the recipe because I needed to use as much of my zucchini as possible, & I poured it into a single bundt pan because I don’t own two loaf pans. I baked it for 85 minutes and it came out perfectly. I also used 100% white whole wheat flour and the moisture content was perfect…No trouble with the whole wheat at all. Delicious, and I can’t wait to pull some out of the freezer in a couple months!

17. Alicia

Just made this, and I have to say it’s really good. I used melted unsalted butter in place of the vegetable oil. Not being too sweet, I was able to eat a few slices at once but I do need to stop as I promised some for my kids, mom, and step-dad. Maybe just one small slice :)

Yes, Alicia, just one more slice wouldn’t hurt, would it? [heh heh heh…] PJH

18. shofur4two

This bread is so moist and flavorful, be careful you will want to eat the whole loaf, hopefully not all at once. The chocolate flavor is intense! The whole family and friends that I shared it with want it again!

19. chros915

LOVE this recipe! It has the perfect amount of sweetness and rich, chocolatey flavor nicely intensified by the espresso powder (one of my favorite ingredients)! I don’t have a garden but I’ll be stopping by the local farm stand for more zucchini to make this bread again!

20. Eliza

I made this bread 2 days ago, it’s sooo good! I made it with dark chocolate chips and sprinkled some more on top. Delicious according to friends whom I shared the bread with. It’s definitely a keeper and will make some more once the zucchini start popping abundantly in the garden. Thank you for the recipe!!

Eliza, so glad your test run went well – you’ll be all set for when those zucchini really start taking over… :) PJH

21. "Nancy R."

I have not made this yet, but it sound great. I am wondering if I can replace the honey with maple syrup?

This should be a fine sub – assuming you like the flavor combination of maple, chocolate, and zucchini! Happy Baking! Irene @ KAF

22. pjstargazer

Great recipe, but EHOW says ” Dutched cocoa powder has been alkalinized to make it less acidic. Recipes calling for this type of cocoa have an added acidic ingredient, which will interact with baking soda in the recipe. Natural cocoa powder is acidic and will itself react with baking soda. ” Use regular cocoa powder or omit the baking soda in the recipe.
    Thanks for your input. The recipe was tested with Dutched cocoa, and we still stick by that recommendation. Honey, brown sugar and chocolate all have acidic components to them, thus the addition of baking soda.
    Changing the cocoa may result in the bread having a soapy, unpleasant flavor. ~ MaryJane

23. kristine gilman

wicked good stuff….feels like you are having dessert….cut a thick piece and top with whipped cream!! heaven!!! thanks KAF, you come thru again.

24. Kathy B. from Watkinsville, GA

This was the absolute best chocolate bread (really more like a big gooey brownie) I have ever had. Made it this past weekend and my daughter who I shared it with, wants to come over this weekend to make it again. I also like that it doesn’t seem too sweet! I plan to take it to the next family reunion, too.

Kathy, always glad to provide a new recipe you can add to your “save” file! And one that uses some of that excess zucchini, too. Bet it’ll be a hit at the reunion – you can’t go wrong with chocolate, eh? Speaking of, have you tried our recipe for Zucchini Chocolate Cake? Mmmmm…. PJH

25. Amber

I made this recipe in my bread machine on the cake/quick bread setting and it turned out awesome! I’m making another loaf to sell at a Habitat for Humanity fundraiser this weekend. Whoever buys it will be very lucky!

26. charris1055

Wow, this is one delicious treat! What a great way to use zucchini. I used mini chocolate chips and made 48 mini muffins. They cooked in 13 minutes–I can’t wait over an hour for a loaf to cook. And mini muffins are so dang cute.
    Thanks KAF another homerun!

Great idea – and mini muffins are a good way to produce “diet-sized” servings, for those of us counting calories (like, ALL of us?!) :) PJH

27. Pennie

How can this be converted to gluten free?
    This is not always easy to do, Pennie. Start by using a GF Multi-purpose Flour Blend for the flour. Include adding some xanthan gum. Sometimes it is recommended to add an extra egg while cutting down on the fat and the sugar by 1/8 -1/4X. It will be an experiment! I recommend finding a tested GF recipe if you are hesitant. Meanwhile, I will ask our GF blog writer, Amy, to add this to her list of customer suggestions! Elisabeth

28. Suzanne

On using a food processor to “shred” or chop the zucchini–can you cut it into perfect rounds and then rough chop it pretty finely, then take the extra moisture out with a paper towel before proceeding with the rest of the recipe?
    I do not have the time or the patience for a box grater?

That sounds like a great (ha.ha. was tempted to type “grate” here) way to get the same results! Happy Baking! Irene@KAF

29. Eileen Parker

Could nuts be added or would that spoil it or change cooking timeThank you

Start by adding 1/2 cup nuts. The bake time or temperature will remain the same. Happy Baking! Irene@KAF

30. Gillian Kelsey

This bread came out perfect, even here out west at 7000 feet! I just upped the temperature 5 degrees and did everything else the same. Will definitely make this bread again.
    Thanks for sharing your high altitude tips! ~ MJ

31. Kathryn Hughes

Those things are growing like topsy in the garden.
    Two questions…….the last time we were at the KAF store I bought a bag of the super dark, black cocoa. Can I use that in this recipe? Haven’t used it yet and I am dying to.
    Second, and most important question…….Will this hold up, well wrapped, of course, in a mail box going to Afghanistan? My grandson is a Marine,currently deployed there, and I would love to bake up a couple of loaves of this to send to him. It takes a week for the FPO mail to get thru and possibly another week to ten days before mail gets trucked to his outpost. I hope you can tell me it is OK. Thanks.

Hi Kathryn! First, you can certainly use some Black Cocoa in the zucchini cake, but you wouldn’t want to use only Black Cocoa because of how bitter it can be: replace a few Tbs of the normal cocoa Dutch cocoa in the recipe for a deeply-hued cake! Second, I highly recommend reading from the Baking Circle entry about shipping things to APOs/FPOs. Sadly, this cake will not make it–the chocolate chips plus the moistness of the cake make it a bad option to mail. A cocoa-based cookie/firm brownie would be fine (leave out the chocolate chips!), but anything on the less-moist side would be ok. Here is the link and be sure to check the link to “Troops Wish List”–they have a section on “Desert-safe recipes”: http://community.kingarthurflour.com/content/cookies-and-treats-shipping-overseas Best, Kim@KAF

32. Rosetta Wiltgen

Chocolatey & moist like a brownie. Delicious! Replaced oil with unsweetened applesauce; combo of whole wheat & white flours; Ghiradelli 60% Cacao Chips chopped coarsely in nut grinder; zucchini finely chopped in food processor. 48 mini muffins @ 24 min. Would spray pan next time as muffins stuck to paper liners. Fill to top 1-1/2 to 2 TBS, since batter doesn’t rise much. Used new baking powder. Should I have mixed all dry ingredients first? Did my substitutions affect density? Still, 5 stars, outstanding recipe!

Hi Rosetta! By omitting all of the oil, you reduced the ability of the cake batter to trap some much-needed air bubbles into the batter when beaten. Also, the way you processed the zucchini in the food processor might have created more juice: I would squeeze out most of it before adding to the cake batter ext time. The whole wheat flour also creates a slightly denser texture–next time, try using at least 1/2 oil and 1/2 applesauce, squeezing your zucchini and bumping up the baking powder to 1 teaspoon and see if that improves the cake. Glad you still enjoyed it! Kim@KAF

33. Judy C

I made this with KA GF flour, no gums, doubled the baking soda, subbed Nutella for the honey. I also baked in 2 loaf pans for 45 mins, GF breads seem to cook more thoroughly in a shorter loaf. The result was 2 rich, slightly sweet loaves. Even the non GF kids loved it.

34. EileenM

I made this recipe today. It is fabulous. I made some changes – I didn’t have some of the ingredients like the coffee powder, and chocolate chips so I put in walnuts instead. I am gluten intolerant so I used gluten free flour and added some zantan and baked it to 208 degrees internal temperature of the loaf. I will make this again. Thanks.

Nice to know it works as a gluten free recipe! Thanks for sharing. Betsy@KAF

35. Deb M

I don’t generally mess with success but I did go 50/50 with oil and applesauce and used 50% almond flour plus almond extract in place of vanilla and espresso. I had a 5 lb zucc that had escaped my notice so I doubled the recipe omitting the seeds when I grated (the seeds were huge) I can taste the applesauce in the bread which I did not expect, but the texture is great
    I took one loaf to a 100 y/o friend who loved it!
    Sounds delicious with those substitutions! Elisabeth

36. Elena

Mushy Zucchini bread…..
    I made the recipe this afternoon and used the two cups shredded zucchini as instructed in the recipe. Baked it for 65 minutes, toothpick came out clean, let it cool for 20 minutes and cut into a mushy mess. Aa I in the oven it went for 20 more minutes and still mush. My husband explained that two cups of zucchini for such a small pan was too much moisture….it ended up in our compost bin. I am so disappointed.

So sorry this didn’t work out well for you, Elena; maybe your zucchini was moister than normal. It’s odd that the toothpick came out clean, yet it was still mushy in the center. If you’d like to brainstorm this further, please call our bakers’ hotline, 800-371-2253; they can help. PJH

37. E

I tried this recipe and my neice loved it but my nephew only ate his muffin until he came to a clump of zucchini. If I grated the zucchini instead of shredding it, would I need to use 2 cups of grated zucchini?

Yes, you will still need about two cups or 12 ounces of shredded or grated zucchini.-Jon

38. DL

Cooking time is way off. It says 65-75 minutes…I checked it at just under an hour, and it was burned. My oven usually takes a bit longer than recipes say. I hate that we won’t be able to eat this, because it sounded really good.

I am sorry to hear that your bread burned! What type of pan did you use to bake it in? This can make a big difference for quick breads. Jon@KAF

39. emsb

I didn’t have any brown sugar, so used 1/2 c. of honey instead of 1/3. Also used just white whole wheat flour that some other reviewer suggested. It was sweet enough and looked just like the KA photo! I can see where some of my garden zucchini will go this summer!

40. rdbrune

I would like to omit the honey and use some buttermilk in this recipe. Seems like buttermilk always makes things moist. I have not tried it as is yet. Can you suggest how to make those changes perhaps some buttermilk, melted butter, and how much sugar?

1. Amy Trage

I wouldn’t add buttermilk to this recipe, but you can use 1/4 cup of sugar in place of the honey, which would total 3/4 cups of brown sugar for the recipe and you can replace the oil with the same amount of butter. ~Amy

I think they’d be fine as muffins. You might try about 20 to 25 minutes at 375°F? Just watch them closely. Good luck – PJH

41. Cindy Crowe

I know that this is a zucchini bread, BUT I just can’t do the summer squashes …. can I substitute potato flakes? Maybe pumpkin puree’? An help would be appreciated, thank you

Cindy, you’d want to substitute something of similar texture – how about grated carrots or beets? PJH