Morning Glory Muffins: back to the future

Have you noticed the days getting longer?

We’re 5 weeks past the shortest day of the year, and it shows – particularly in the morning, when the drive to work happens in broad daylight, rather than gray and gloomy almost-dawn.

Speaking of driving to work, what’s an easy, fast, filling, and tasty way to eat breakfast on the run (or more likely, on the drive)?

Big hint at the top of this page, right?

Back in the day, muffins were everyone’s favorite portable breakfast. Before scones, and Egg McMuffins, and breakfast burritos, there were muffins.

Tender, moist blueberry muffins, loaded with dark berries. Bright and tangy lemon-poppy seed.

Decadent chocolate chip; comforting banana.

And Morning Glory – which, if memory serves, were a darling of the ’60s and ’70s back-to-the-land movement. When seeds, nuts, dried fruit, and whole grains were suddenly on everyone’s lips – literally.

Still life with Mother Nature, right?

The venerable Morning Glory is an earthy, whole-grain muffin that, despite the description, manages to taste very good indeed. Moist and just sweet enough, it’s a great “eat in the car” treat – it needs the enhancement of neither butter nor jam (though either – or cream cheese – wouldn’t be out of place).

Are you ready for a throwback breakfast? Let’s make muffins.

Preheat the oven to 375°F. Lightly grease a 12-cup muffin tin, or line it with papers and spray the insides of the papers.

In a small bowl, cover 1/2 cup raisins with hot water, and set them aside to soak.

Next up: grated apple and carrots.

The recipe calls for 1 large apple, peeled; I don’t bother to peel. The recipe is so full of seeds and nuts anyway, who cares about a bit of apple peel?

So, put one large, tart, firm apple (e.g., Granny Smith), cored and cut in chunks; and 3 medium carrots (about 7 to 8 ounces), peeled and cut in chunks, into your food processor. Process until pretty finely chopped, but not puréed.

Don’t have a food processor? You’ll need to chop by hand.

Next, stir together the following in a mixing bowl:

2 cups (8 ounces) King Arthur White Whole Wheat Flour or Premium Whole Wheat Flour
1 cup brown sugar
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon salt

Drain the 1/2 cup raisins and add them to the bowl, along with the grated/chopped apple and carrots, plus the following:

1/2 cup sweetened shredded coconut
1/2 cup chopped walnuts or the nuts of your choice
1/3 cup sunflower seeds or wheat germ, optional

Beat gently to combine.

Whisk together the following:

3 large eggs
2/3 cup vegetable oil
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/4 cup orange juice

Add to the flour mixture, and stir until evenly moistened. You’ll have a fairly loose (though chunky) batter.

Divide the batter among the wells of the prepared pan, filling them all the way to the top; a muffin scoop works well here.

You’ll probably have batter left over; that’s OK, we’ll deal with it later.

See how full these are? Not the usual 3/4 full, it’s true, but with this muffin it works.

Bake the muffins for 25 to 28 minutes, until they’re nicely domed and a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean.

Remove them from the oven, let them cool for 5 minutes in their pan, then turn them out onto a rack to finish cooling.

See? They didn’t overflow.

This is a muffin that domes very nicely, even with all that batter in the cup.

Speaking of all that batter, what do you do with the leftover?

Well, hope triumphed over reason for me. I thought, I can just put these paper muffin cups into a bread pan, fill ‘em up, and they’ll kinda support one another as the muffins bake…

They did – just not in the way I’d imagined! Hey, beauty is only crust-deep, right? They still tasted good. But next time, I’d use foil muffin cups, which would indeed hold their shape.

Now THAT’S a muffin with character! Look at all that good stuff…

As I mentioned above, these muffins are nicely moist, perfectly (but not overly) sweet, and don’t really need jam or butter. But maybe a dollop of fig-walnut preserves? I’m there.

Good morning, sunshine!

Read, bake, and review (please) our recipe for Morning Glory Muffins.

comments

1. flowerpower

I do love this recipe – the muffins are moist and as you say, just sweet enough, and really delicious. I make these with any apple I have on hand and usually with dried cranberries since that’s what I have more often than the raisins. Sometimes a drop or two of orange oil. Always a treat and people always ask for the recipe! I guess they may be a throwback, but there is a reason that these wonderful recipes stand the test of time. Thanks for reminding me how good these are.

You’re exactly right – recipes stand the test of time for a reason: because they’re just really, really good. And as you say, this one is totally versatile as to what you might want to add. Glad we’re here to remind you of some of your classic favorites! PJH

2. Cindy Leigh

My favorite muffin! My recipe includes coconut, crushed pineapple, sunflower seeds, as well as walnuts. I don’t peel the apples either. Also if you make this in the summer, throw in a handful of grated zucchini or even yellow squash.
    They freeze so well, you can just pull one out of the freezer and toss in your lunch bag or nuke for 30 seconds to have for breakfast on the drive to work.

Cindy, I love the addition of crushed pineapple – so tasty in so many things. And the zucchini/squash: brilliant! As you say, they freeze well, too. Thanks for adding your feedback here – it takes a village to make the BEST recipes… :) PJH

3. hdrakep

When we lived in Iowa, I used to buy a similar muffin at the local bakery but it was sweetened – at least partially – with molasses. Could this recipe be adjusted to use some molasses? Thank you.

You certainly can! I would reduce the brown sugar to 3/4 cup and 1/4 of molasses. That would be a great start to working in that deep, rich flavor. Be sure to use any kind of molasses except blackstrap: it will have far too much bitterness for the muffins! Best, Kim@KAF

4. hdrakep

Leftover batter? What about using the pan for making hamburger buns. I did just that yesterday.

Fantastic idea! The lip on the pan helps keep the extra batter from running everywhere. Love it! Kim@KAF

5. Irene in T.O.

If you have to do the apple and carrots by hand, GRATE do not chop. Faster and easier.

That is precisely what I like to do at home (use the biggest holes on the grater to get the right texture, though! A fine grater will result in pieces too small to discern in the muffins. Kim@KAF

6. dstrickland

Any particular reason why you don’t leave the skin on the carrots?

Nope, no reason, just that I’m not in the habit of eating carrot skins. Certainly leave them on if you like. PJH

7. goyaboy

I’m love to see the nutritional information on these. recently I’ve really been concerned about my health and weight.

Hi – you’ll find the nutrition information at the bottom of the recipe. Cheers – PJH

8. Cindy Leigh

My sister made a birthday cake for me once out of this batter. Frosted it with cream cheese frosting. It was like a carrot cake, but BETTER!

Excellent idea, Cindy – I’ll keep that one up my sleeve for sure! PJH

1. Susan

Thanks Cindy! Great idea. I used to make carrot cake for my daughter’s b-day, but this is so much better (and healthier). It’s on my to-do list for the next birthday …I’m going to try it in a Bundt pan. That will also take care of leftover batter.

9. Jules

We don’t do coconut at our house. Any sub suggestions, or just skip it?

Just skip it, Jules – no prob. Enjoy! PJH

10. Taos foodie

Can i substitute walnut oil for vegetable oil?

If your walnut oil is as assertive as some can be, I would not recommend using straight walnut oil in the recipe. Swapping 1 Tbs of the vegetable oil for 1 Tbs of walnut oil would likely be enough to flavor the muffins without being overwhelming. If you have a neutral walnut oil, you could likely use equal parts walnut oil for the vegetable oil in the recipe. Kim@KAF

11. zanychar

I adore these muffins! I’ll often use my individual lava cake molds to use left-over batter to make a few “monster” muffins. I also like to top them with sparkling sugar for a perky finish. They do freeze very well, and I often take one for my drive-time breakfast.

12. Formerlyforeman

I am planning on making these beauties tomorrow. I plan on skipping the coconut and adding crushed pineapple and a bit of flax seed. How much crushed pineapple can I add without affecting the overall texture and moisture of the muffin?
    You can add about 1/2 cup, but makes sure it is well-drained before adding to the batter. ~Amy

13. marilynlaporte

I was wondering if you could substitute rice bran oil in place of vegetable oil in this recipe? Also, could you substitute butter in place of vegetable oil? How much butter would you need if it could be substituted?

I don’t know anything about rice bran oil, Marilyn, but if it’s like vegetable oil – don’t see why not. You can substitute an equal amount of butter; the muffins will be somewhat less moist. Enjoy – PJH

14. fitzie63

I CHANGED THIS RECIPE to make it LOW FAT & LOW SUGAR. I also used a MICROPLANE SHREDDER, by hand to make very finely grated carrots. They blend in the muffin much better. I did not have any apples so I used applesauce.

1/3 cup Truvia Baking blend (instead of sugar)
    1/3 cup chopped pecans (instead of the sunflower seeds I did not have)
    3/4 cup unsweetened applesauce (instead of the fat)

My recipe made 20 regular sized muffins. The only thing I forgot was to spray the inside of the muffin papers.
    MY NUTRIENT VALUES:
    CALORIES (for 1 regular size muffin): 141
    Carbohydrates 21 grams
    Total Fat 5 grams
    Protein 3 grams
    Cholesterol 22 grams (would be less if you used the liquid egg beater product)
    Sodium 209 grams
    Sugars 87 grams
    Fiber 2 grams

I took them to church for the priesthood leaders meeting. There were none left :)

Wow! Thanks for the tips! I personally love a little bite of carrot, so I tend to use a courser grater, but more power to you! Thanks for letting us know how to alter our recipe! Kim@KAF

1. sherry

thank you for taking the time to make these more healthy reasonable muffin that is no doubt delicious. I just saw recipe and was thinking about not using the sugar and subbing for oil – your rendition sounds perfect and i find nutritional break down invaluable thank you again

You are so very welcome sherry! We are happy we could provide something you enjoy! Elisabeth@KAF

15. MGW960W

These are wonderful. I substituted applesauce for half the oil and baked the extra batter in a small loaf pan to use as a gift for a friend. All good. Thank you to all the employee-owners at KAF, especially my heroine PJ, for another great baking experience.

Thank you so much for your kind words! We will continue to strive to make even more great baking experiences.-Jon

16. Elle

These are my absolute favorite muffins, hands down! I made some a couple years back and replaced most of the fat with canned pumpkin. I always hated how oily they were, and had a hard time pouring all of that oil in. The recipe I was messing around with called for an entire cup of oil.

These look wonderful, all domed and gorgeous!

Elle, what a neat idea, using pumpkin. I love pumpkin, so will definitely try making the switch at some point. Thanks! PJH

17. bziol

Fruit, veggies and nuts all rolled into one delicious package. You can’t ask for more than that. These are very good but since no one here is a fan of raisins I use either dried cranberries or dried cherries. I do like the idea of a 1/2 & 1/2 applesauce/oil substitute as one commenter wrote and will have to give that a try the next time I make these. It would definitely cut down on the fat. As far as the leftover batter, I just bought myself a mini scone pan so I don’t see a problem using that to make a smaller version of a tasty treat.

Sounds good – tweaks to both ingredients, and pan. Thanks for sharing! PJH

18. tvoigt

I’ve made these and they are wonderful. Substitutions are easy as well – I have made them a number of times with varies substitutions. I’d love to add some greek yogurt to pump up the protein content. Any idea how much I should add? Should I leave anything out?

There’s no milk product or yogurt used in this recipe, so adding it will change the taste and texture profile. It may be best to look for a Morning Glory Muffin recipe that does use milk and sub the same amount of yogurt, thinned to a milk consistency. There are some recipes in other sources (books or on line) that call for 1/4 to 1/3 cup milk or almond milk. We hope you find one that’s been tried and tested to work with milk. Enjoy the journey! Irene @ KAF

19. Anne

This is one of my go-to muffin recipes and I have had success every time. Not that I always make these muffins exactly the same way every time. I often take the cue from other home-bakers’ comments and give it a try, or dump in whatever I have plenty of at the moment. I can highly recommend the 50% applesauce substitution for the oil, and adding a handful of shredded squash because I tried these multiple times. Dried cranberries are good too.

But do NOT add chopped Gourmet Jumbo Black Mission Figs Sun-dried & Unsulfured – their tiny seeds were still crunchy after baking. For a minute I thought some sands might have fallen into the batter while I wasn’t looking. Nonetheless the muffins smelled great. I took half of dozen with me as a hostess gift. This time I happened to have baked the muffins in the red tulip paper liners that just arrived the other day. The hostess thought I dressed them up very nicely for the Lunar New Year. In that line of conversation we all sat down and enjoyed the muffins – nobody asked me what’s that something crunchy.

Thanks for the heads up! I also fixed the typo you mentioned in your second comment.-Jon

20. "Liz Davis"

I really liked these muffins. Absolutely delicious and moist. I thought I saw a comment about substituting 1/4 of a cup of the brown sugar for molasses. I did that because my family and I like molasses. I liked it. There was a problem however. The muffins cooked in the same amount of time but when I pulled them out, they were almost black. They were almost burnt. I will do this recipe again because they are really good and healthy but I’m not going to do the molasses bit again.

The trouble with molasses is that brown sugar (by proportion) only contains 10% molasses. To do a substitute, I would still use brown sugar, but swap out just a few tablespoons of sugar for 1-2 Tbs of molasses. If the muffins were black, than I worry you either used blackstrap molasses or your oven runs a bit hot. Either way, you can always tent a baked good with foil if it isn’t cooked all the way through to prevent it from browning too much. Kim@KAF

21. terri

A couple of weeks ago I made these muffins vegan on the advice of a comment. They were fantastic! I no longer see the comment about egg substitution. I believe she used bananas but I am unsure of the amount. Does any one know or remember this amount?
    You can find the comment on the recipe page here. Amy

22. Holly

I made these and they are excellent. In addition to the raisins,carrots and apple I added drained crushed pineapple. I used 1/4 cup of its juice in place of the orange juice. I used toasted unsweetened shredded coconut.i didn’t use nuts because my daughter doesn’t like them and these are mainly for her school snacks.
    In place of the vegetable oil which we don’t use in this household I subbed half coconut oil and extra virgin olive oil. I also used half spelt flour because I prefer the taste. My next quest is to convert this to a sourdough recipe using all spelt flour and letting it soak overnight. Thanks for another wonderful recipe!

23. tommarie

We love these muffins. They are perfect for a healthy breakfast or snack. I quadruple the recipe, cool and wrap each in plastic wrap and put them into a zip-lock bag and freeze. I have given them to sick friends, family, and neighbors. Changes I have made include adding both sunflower and chia seeds, adding some drained crushed pineapple and using the pineapple juice in place of the orange juice. I do not peel the apple or the carrot and you cannot detect any difference. I figure to leave the peel on just adds additional fiber. I make sure to thoroughly wash them though. I like that the muffins are not overly sweet, but sweet enough to be satisfying. The chia seeds contribute to a feeling of fullness following eating just one of them and they are very healthy. Thank you for this and all the other great recipes you provide.

Thanks so much for the suggested tweaks – I’ve actually always peeled carrots, but you’re right, if they’re well-washed, why do it? The extra fiber is good. And great idea about freezing individually – I’m going to try that, too. Thanks for your feedback! PJH

24. Corry

Can I bake these in a 13×9″ pan? Do I need to use a double recipe?
    Could I even possibly use an 18×12″ size pan and triple the recipe?

1. Susan Reid

An earlier commenter said she had success baking the batter as a layer cake, so it’s certainly worth a try. A 9 x 13″ pan needs 6 cups of batter. Best to make the recipe and measure its volume to be sure of the conversion. Susan

25. Granny Gin

As they have all said these are wonderful. One time when I was ready to make these I had no carrots so I used crushed pineapple. They were very delicious.

Oh, now that sounds wonderful, Gin – nothing like a bit of crushed pineapple for moistness and flavor, right? Thanks for sharing – PJH

Yes, there sure it Ranay B. Please go to the actual recipe. The simple way is to go to the top of the blog and look under the picture of the muffin…by: PJ Hamel
      January 28, 2013
      31 comments
      recipe: Morning Glory Muffins
      Click on Morning Glory Muffins and this will bring you to the actual recipe on our Recipe page. There you will see an icon for Printable version. Click away! Elisabeth@KAF

26. Sara Tiffany

I bought my first bag of KAF self-rising flour but I do not have recipes other than the bag biscuits.
    where can find some and how can I substitute self-rising flour in this well-praised muffin recipe?

We have several other recipes that use our Self rising flour. So take a look! In this recipe, replace the flour with your SR flour 1:1 and omit 1/2 t. of the baking soda and all of the salt in the recipe. Enjoy! Elisabeth

27. Carol

I loved the picture of the muffins baked in the loaf pan–and your comment about them! You are so right! It made me think of a hint I haven’t used in years. I remember when I was little, my grandma didn’t own a muffin pan. When she made cupcakes or muffins, she would put canning rings on a cookie sheet and then place a paper liner in each of the rings. They just fit and held their round shape perfectly. Think I’ll try this on a small sheet pan to use up the rest of this delicious-looking muffin batter. It will fit in the oven along side my 12-cup muffin pan . . . and make me think of my sweet grandma and the wonderful baker she was!

28. SHERY

The recipe sounds delicious but why does it need so much sugar, using the raisins, apple, etc Might you not go with the natural sweetness of the fruit and carrots, raisins?

Shery – The sugar helps to tenderize the texture. You are welcome to decrease the sugar and see how you like it! Elisabeth@KAF

29. Patty

I’ve never substituted applesauce or pumpkin for oil. Does it really work? And wouldn’t putting Chia Seeds in make them crunchy (not in a good way– like the lady who said don’t use figs!)?

Yes, it really does work. If you are skeptical, try only substituting half of the oil with applesauce or pumpkin puree. I do not think the chia seeds would be very crunchy but would add some good texture and nutrition to this already nutrition rich muffin! Enjoy! Elisabeth@KAF

30. GoldenWhiskNYC

Thanks Cindy! Great idea. I used to make carrot cake for my daughter’s b-day, but this is so much better (and healthier). It’s on my to-do list for the next birthday …I’m going to try in a Bundt pan.

31. GoldenWhiskNYC

Thanks Leigh! Great idea. I used to make carrot cake for my daughter’s b-day, but this is so much better (and healthier). It’s on my to-do list for the next birthday …I’m going to try in a Bundt pan. That will take care of the leftover batter.

No, Erin, I wouldn’t do that; the muffins will fall to pieces due to lack of gluten. Thanks for your question, though – it’s a good one. PJH

32. Lacey

Can you please, please, please try to develop a recipe for gluten free Morning Glory muffins? I know it would be difficult, but I think the KAF team is up to the task!

33. Janet

Just a suggestion on making more muffins with the leftover batter. Put paper muffin cups into ramekins and fill them with the extra batter. Then, place the ramekins on a baking sheet for perfectly baked up “extra muffins”!

34. Leslie

These look wonderful. Could I add almond flour or use it as part of the wheat flour? I just received an order, but haven’t found a use for it in something healthy.

35. Carrie @ The Birtch Bunch

Made these this morning – and the family loves them!! I shredded the apple & carrot as it was easier / faster than hand chopping or hauling out the food processor – and it worked great. Thank you for sharing the recipe!

36. Ilene Seidel

I made these for our granddaughters Bat Mitzvah, 350 people. Followed the recipe, leaving the nuts out (concerned there may be a nut allergy) they were a hit. Nothing left. And of course I made other types of muffins and cupcakes. Over 600 and had a wonderful time doing it.
    Enjoy.

Wow! THAT is a lot of muffins and cupcakes. Congratulations on your effort and to your grand daughter on her Bat Mitzvah. We are happy to know this recipe was top on your list Ilene! Elisabeth@KAF

37. nancy

I made these today with your gluten free mix used pure maple syrup in place of the sugar. They turned out wonderful. The left over I placed in a bread pan and baked 6 minutes longer. Thank you for such a versatile recipe.

38. Irene

Are these jumbo muffin cups or just regular size muffin cups? Can’t tell from the photo? They look rather large like the jumbos, but could just be the camera angle.

Thanks for asking – the muffins were baked in a standard muffin tin, not the Texas or jumbo ones! Happy baking! Irene@ KAF

We know the recipe works well as written, and see other baker/reviewers have tried applesauce for some of the oil (with reported good results). Happy Baking! Irene@KAF

39. Carol Kalan

I am interested in making these for guests next week. Can I mix up the dough and refrigerate it for a few days. Would that work with this recipe? If not what muffin recipes on your site can be prepared that way? Thank you.

You could make this Morning Glory recipe, then freeze the baked muffins. Reheat them at 350′ for 5 – 10 minutes. If you’d like a make-the-batter-ahead recipe, consider this one:
      Happy Baking – enjoy that company! Irene@KAF

40. Marisa Franca @ All Our Way

May I use coconut oil instead of the vegetable oil without affecting the final crumb? Also I have to tell you that we use only KA flour and we buy it in 50# sacks. We do lots of baking. These muffins sound ideal.
    Also may I use this recipe on my blog if I link back to you? I will take my own pictures. By the way, I thought PJ was a gentleman. The joke is on me.

We’ve heard that some bakers use coconut oil for the listed oil ingredient in their baking – it may be good to start slow, like 50/50 sub. It may also be good to contact our PR department for the blog info – call our reception number at 802-299-4420 and your call will be routed to the right staff here at King Arthur Flour. Happy Baking! Irene@KAF

41. Phyllis

I have a very similar recipe for these muffins. I’ll have compare them and see if I want to make any adjustments. I didn’t have a food processor until very recently and would grate both the carrots and apple on the largest teeth of a hand grater. I never worry about leftover batter – I just put a second partial batch in the oven. These are my favorite muffins – perfect for freezing and great with a dollop of creamed cheese.

42. Dru

This may be a new one for you, taken from one of those cook books that organizations and clubs sell. In place of 90% of the oil, use canned condensed tomato soup (do not dilute). Like many others, I don’t like the oily aftertaste of using oil. I made a carrot cake with this method, took it to work, and everyone thought it was the best they’d ever had.

43. kate/gypsybaker

If I used mini-muffin tins (the one you sell with the removable bottoms), how long should I bake them?
    Should I lower the temp? Our grandchildren are small & do better holding smaller muffins. Thanks.

Mini muffins (those that measure 2 tablespoons batter per muffin “cup” or well) should bake in 10 – 15 minutes. Bake them the same temperature as your recipe suggests (usually 350′). Happy Baking! Irene@KAF

44. Debra Lenz

I have been making these for years into mini loaves instead of muffins and it works wonderfully. Usually it takes about 30 minutes but I live at high elevation in the Sangre De Cristos, so your times may vary. Also have used both Apple pie or pumpkin pie spice instead of individual spices in a pinch.

45. val

I have seen many recipes for Morning Glory Muffins and have wanted to try them. Well, I made them yesterday and my husband and I loved them. I did add 2tablespoons of crushed pineapple to the recipe, and when I make them again(which is a given) I will add more cinnamon. Definitely a keeper!!!

46. Nancy

I followed this recipe to the T and my batter came out dry. Definitely not as liquidy as the pictures… Could my using whole wheat flour have something to do with it?

Nancy, since the recipe calls for whole wheat flour, that shouldn’t be the issue. However, if you’re not using King Arthur flour, the brand you’re using might be a different grind, and perhaps is absorbing the liquid differently. Also, your carrots/apple might have been a bit drier? Next time, if the same thing happens and you’re using the same flour, try adding a bit of orange juice or cranberry juice or water or even milk, until the texture is more what you think it should be. Good luck – PJH

47. MJ

These were just fantastic. So moist and tasty. I left out the coconut because I didn’t have any, and used juice from a Cara Cara orange because I didn’t have store bought OJ. I made them for a grab-n-go breakfast last week, and the whole family requested them again this week. i divided the leftover batter into two ramekins and baked alongside the muffin tin. They came out perfect. And such a pretty muffin, too. I would totally use this recipe for a carrot cake dessert cake or cupcake with a little cream cheese frosting on top. I also want to try these with pineapple chunks. What a fantastic recipe!

48. MJ

Wanted to add – thanks for the tip for n using the food processor. We preferred the chopped carrots to grated carrots. I put the carrots in first and chopped a bit before adding the apples, that way the apple chunks stayed a little larger and you could get a nice bite of Apple in the muffin. Awesome!

It helps to preheat the oven to a high temperature (500 degrees), and then when you put the muffins in the oven reduce the baking temperature to the suggested setting. This initial burst of high heat should help your muffins dome. You’ll probably also have to shave a few minutes off the baking time to compensate for the higher temperature at the beginning of the bake. Barb@KAF