Cherry-Zucchini Scones: the zucchini zombie apocalypse, or how to win the runaway vegetable war

CherryZucchiniScone2_900w

Despite your vigilance, despite your twice-daily visits to pick them in the garden, it happens every summer: the attack of the killer zombie zucchinis.

Any living thing that can increase its presence exponentially in a mere matter of hours can’t be quite of this world, can it? You’ve tried everything to keep the population in check. Ratatouille. Caponata. Pickling it, grilling it, roasting it, turning it into bread, cake, frittata, appetizers, pie, muffins, disguising it with chocolate, even making pancakes with it. Obviously, we haven’t enough meal occasions to cope with it all, so I’m here to add another weapon to your arsenal in the zucchini apocalypse wars.

Our team tasked me with a blog for “something zucchini.” The idea of something tender, with a little bit of interest from some lemon zest and dried cherries, and maybe a bit of crunch popped into my head. Your new tool for keeping the zucchini zombies from taking over? Cherry-Zucchini Scones.

It wouldn’t be me writing if I didn’t talk a little food science first. When baking with fruits and vegetables, they’ll often take the place of some of the liquid in the recipe. Pumpkin and applesauce work that way. Zucchini is a little trickier, because while it contains a lot of water, that water stays inside the vegetable’s flesh until something draws it out. That something can be sugar, or salt, or heat.

Sometimes you’ll see recipes that call for the zucchini to be drained or squeezed out. That’s the recipe writer trying to level the playing field, because the amount of liquid in each particular squash can vary considerably, depending on its size, how much rain the garden has had, etc. When I had the idea for these scones, I was planning on getting about half the recipe’s liquid from the zucchini. What could be simpler? Cut butter into dry ingredients, add zucchini and wet, stir, Bob’s your uncle. But when I began testing, I got taken for a ride. Zombie vegetables can be pretty fickle.

It all started innocently enough:

dryinbowl2 1/2 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour

1/2 cup sugar

1 teaspoon salt

1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder

buttercutinnobaconWhisked together, and 1/2 cup cold butter cut in.

zuchhzestNext some lemon zest, a cup of grated zucchini, and 3/4 cup dried cherries, chopped up just a bit so they distribute more evenly.

drypluszucchMix together 1/4 cup milk, an egg, and a teaspoon of vanilla, add, stir all together.

addwetThe first time I did this, it seemed after a few stirs that there was no way I had enough wet stuff. There was a lump of dough in the middle of the bowl, surrounded by what looked like the Sahara dessert. allroundmixshotSo I added more milk (like, 1/2 cup more) to make the dough come together, and that’s when the zombie factor kicked in. The longer the dough was mixed, the wetter it got. The sugar was drawing the moisture out of the zucchini, and what at first looked like a dough that could be patted into place and cut started slumping and spreading in all directions in front of my eyes, like bad time-lapse photography.

gettingwetterbytheminute

After just a few minutes on the baking sheet, the dough is getting wetter by the minute. I could cut through it, but the scones were too soggy to separate before baking, and came out as one, large puffy disk.

I baked it anyway, and liked the flavors very much, but knew this wasn’t going to be the walk in the park I thought it was going to be.

bakedtoowet

I had to cut the scones again after baking to separate them; they’re pretty wet and gummy in the center.

Never underestimate the zombie vegetable.

Being a stubborn sort, it took me about four rounds before I realized I had to accept the fact that in order to get the result I wanted I was going to have to work with the zucchini, and (sigh) be patient. I backed off on the liquid, from what was initially 3/4 cup back down to 1/4 cup, started over, and ended up here:

seems toodrybut comingtogether

I know this looks too dry, but keep folding the dough over using a bowl scraper. The more you do this, mixing the dry bits in, the more liquid the zucchini gives up.

It’s a leap of faith, but if you keep scooping the dry mixture into the dough and folding it over on itself, in short order you get to this:

mixed and cutDough that’s ready for scooping or shaping. Since this recipe likes to expand when it bakes, I decided to confine my zombie mixture in a small scone pan.inminisconepanAfter a shower of sparkling sugar and some quality time in the oven, the battle was won, and a tasty new zucchini-based treat was here.

finished small sconesI confess to having trouble with eating just one of these. They’re very yummy, and have been disappearing with alacrity every time I put them in the employee kitchen.

The moral of our story? Put some dried cherries and lemons on your next shopping list, and be ready for the squash invasion on the horizon (if it hasn’t already started). You may not entirely win the zucchini war with this recipe, but you’re sure going to enjoy trying.

Don’t forget, you can mix and cut the scones, then freeze them for later. (Bake them right out of the freezer; they’ll need another 5 minutes or so in the oven, but that’s it.) There may come a time this winter when you’re actually feeling wistful for some zucchini as a reminder of sunny summer days.

Please read, bake, and review our recipe for Cherry-Zucchini Scones.

Susan Reid

Susan Reid grew up in New Jersey, graduated from Bates College and the Culinary Institute of America, and is presently enjoying her fourth career after stints in advertising, running restaurants, and teaching at the New England Culinary Institute. She joined King Arthur in 2002 to ...

comments

1. Quinn

This sounds so good! You may not believe this, but I have dried cherries and lemon zest on hand. Guess what I don’t have? ;)

Patience, Quinn, I’m sure someone will be sneaking some onto your doorstep soon! :-) Susan

1. Susan Reid , post author

Ahhh, yes, but you can call yourself a successful gardener, now, can’t you? Susan

2. Erie

Did you really use 3 cups of flour, 1 1/2 all purpose flour you state first, then as third ingredient another 1 1/2 cups of flour but what kind? Can you use whole wheat flour or would this change the amount of liquid needed too much?

1. Susan Reid , post author

Ahh, I see I have a typo in the “Prose” version in the blog. It’s supposed to be 2 1/2 cups of flour, not 1 1/2. The online recipe is correct; am about to correct the blog right now. Thanks for catching that. Susan

3. Linda

Could you get away with using fresh cherries or would you just end up with more goop due to too much moisture? I know dried fruit is generally preferred in scones or biscuits but I know you can manage it. Maybe if the zucchini was squeezed to lessen the amount of moisture from that area? Thanks!

If you ‘d like to experiment with fresh cherries, be sure not to over mix or over stir as that may yield a very pink dough! As you mentioned, dried fruit is easier to work with in scones that are both mixed and shaped. Susan didn’t find drier zucchini was necessary in her test bakes for this recipe. Finding the right consistency between dough that’s too soft (that bakes together with no divisions) and dough that holds together so you can pat into shape or scoop is key. Wishing you well in your scone baking quest. Happy Baking! Irene@KAF

4. Julie

I made these this morning for my co-workers, one of them happily supplied the zucchini. They WERE fantastic! I used the drop method for my scones. Everything came together beautifully with a little arm exercise.
    Excellent, I’m so glad to hear that, Julie! Thanks for letting us know!

1. Cathy Reichel

I made these. Only I didn’t have the dried cherries. I used candied cherries and they were just delicious. They stayed moist and tasty for almost a week! I think you could use lots of different fruits in this recipe.
      So happy you liked them, Cathy! I think they’re good enough to inspire the occasional craving :-) Susan

5. ali

I’m hoping these come littered the recipe a few times and cutting the butter into.pea sized pie as and cutting butter into flour until pea sized pieces form mean very different things to me, I want sure what to do with the butter, also my dough was super wet.

1. MaryJane Robbins

Whoops Ali, looks like there are some autocorrects getting in the way of your message. Can you try again so we can make sure we get you the answers you are looking for? Thanks! ~ MJ

6. dmurray407

We’re on a fairly low fat diet around our house. I’ve been experimenting with using plain yogurt and oil instead of butter-would that work with scones or do they need the chilled butter for texture?

That will probably have a pretty significant effect on both the texture and the flavor of scones. The butter is quite important in this recipe. We don’t test any fat substitutes in our recipes here, so I wouldn’t be able to speak to the results, but we always encourage our fellow bakers to experiment and report back with there results, so feel free to give it a try and let us know! Happy Baking! Jocelyn@KAF

7. Amanda

Sounds delicious and I currently have zucchini ‘coming out of my ears’ so I definitely want to try this recipe. My question is this, what would I need to change if I use drained/squeezed zucchini?

Hi Amanda- I don’t think you will need to change much. If you find the dough seems a little dry, you could add an extra little bit of milk, a teaspoon at a time, until you have a cohesive dough. Enjoy and happy baking! Jocelyn@KAF

8. Barbara

This was a great read this morning. I happen to have the 3 main ingredients needed, (zucchini, lemons, and dried cherries), on hand. I’m going to have to try this one. I wonder if my fresh cherries would work also?

Hi Barbara- If you use fresh cherries, you will be adding some moisture to the scones that wasn’t initially in there. I would recommend sticking to the dry cherries. If you do choose to experiment and add the fresh cherries, I would make sure to chop them up and also drain them on a paper towel for a little while before using them and to be careful when you incorporate them into the dough that you don’t break them apart. I hope you enjoy the scones, whichever way you decide to go (I know they were one of my favorites in recent memory from the test kitchen)…Happy Baking! Jocelyn@KAF

9. sfreshwater

Love this story, got a kick out of it. I didn’t plant any zucchini’s this year. I planted two plants one year in Calif. and I literally took them to work in boxes. I knew I’d pressed my luck when they locked the office door when they saw me coming. We have a hard time growing anything in Nevada, I wonder if zucchini would lived in this lack of nutrient ground. Maybe I’ll just buy some and make some of this, it sounds great. Ever wonder how the growers for the grocery stores manage to get those little buggers before they become so big? I picture the pickers sitting in the fields and watching and the second they reach the right size for the grocery stores the leader yells CHARGE and off go the pickers because they only have about 15 minutes and the little zucchini’s grow 3 feet.
    I wonder if they have remote cameras with little alarms on them to tell them to get out there! Haha. Susan

Maybe that is the way it goes…it is the great zucchini mystery of our day, for sure. This is one of my FAVORITE recipes to come out of the test kitchen as of late, so I think it would definitely be worth biting the bullet and grabbing some grocery store zucchini to give these guys a try. Hope you enjoy and happy baking! Jocelyn@KAF

10. Felecia Berry

We have a freezer full of blueberries from the back yard. Will they work as a substitution for fresh cherries?
    Felecia: Blueberries would be great, but for this recipe you’ll want to do a little finessing. Frozen berries will give up a lot of liquid; get the dough to come together first, then fold in the still-frozen berries at the very end before shaping. Otherwise you’ll have some very blue, streaky scones! Susan

Blueberries should work, though I would thaw them if they have been frozen before adding to the scones. Jon@KAF