- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line two baking sheets with parchment, or lightly grease.
- To make the dough: In a large bowl, beat together the butter and sugar until pale. Beat in the egg and vanilla. Scrape the bowl, then add the flour, baking powder, salt, and half of the coconut. Mix until evenly combined.
- To assemble: Scoop the dough by the tablespoonful, roll into a ball, and roll in the remaining coconut. Place the coated balls of dough 2" apart on the prepared baking sheets.
- Press a dent in the center of each cookie and fill with 1/2 teaspoon raspberry preserves.
- Bake for 15 minutes, until pale golden grown. Remove from the oven and cool on the pan for 5 minutes before transferring to a rack to cool completely.
- Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 weeks.