- In a large bowl (or the bucket of your bread machine), combine all of the ingredients until a rough dough forms, then knead (about 10 minutes by hand, 5 to 7 minutes by bread machine) until the dough is smooth and satiny.
- Transfer the dough to a lightly greased bowl, cover the bowl with lightly greased plastic wrap, and allow the dough to rise for 1 hour (or allow the bread machine to complete its cycle). The dough will become somewhat puffy, but probably won't double in bulk.
- Shape the dough into a loaf, and place it in a lightly greased 8 1/2" x 4 1/2" bread pan. Cover the pan with lightly greased plastic wrap, and allow the bread to rise until it's crowned about 1" over the rim of the pan (about 1 to 1 1/2 hours).
- Towards the end of the rising time, preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Bake the bread for 35 minutes, or until its interior registers 190°F on a digital thermometer. Remove the bread from the oven, take it out of the pan, and allow it to cool on a rack.