- Preheat the oven to 425°. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, pepper, herbs, and grated cheddar.
- Work in the butter and cream cheese until the mixture is crumbly, with some larger chunks of butter and cream cheese remaining.
- Pour in 3/4 cup of the milk, stirring until the dough is evenly moistened. It should hold together when gently squeezed. If there are still dry patches in the bottom of the mixing bowl, add 1 to 2 tablespoons more milk as needed.
- Transfer the dough to a lightly floured work surface and fold it over onto itself a few times. Pat it into an 8" square about 3/4" thick.
- Cut the dough into 2" squares and place on the prepared baking sheet. Brush the tops with the remaining milk.
- Bake the biscuits for 16 to 18 minutes, until lightly browned. Remove them from the oven and serve warm or at room temperature.
- Store leftovers, well-wrapped, at room temperature for two days; or for up to a month in the freezer.
Tips from our Bakers
- Substitute chive cream cheese or herbed cream cheese for the chives, thyme, and cream cheese, if desired.