The crunchiest-crackliest-chewiest-lightest-EASIEST bread you’ll ever bake.

img_9410

King Arthur Flour.

Water.

SAF yeast.

Salt.

That’s all it takes to make the crackly-crusted, chewy, light-textured, DELICIOUS bread pictured above.

Just stir up a bucket of dough, and stick it in the fridge. That’s right, stir; no need to knead.

Want some bread? Grab a handful of chilled dough, plop it onto a piece of parchment. Let it rise. Bake it to golden perfection.

img_4367

You can do this.

img_4375.JPG

And this.

img_4431.JPG

And this.

All with this easy recipe for No-Knead Crusty White Bread.

Which we print here courtesy of Jeff Hertzberg and Zoë François, authors of the runaway best-seller Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day.

Let’s get stirring!

img_4030.JPG

Combine the following in a large mixing bowl, or food-safe plastic bucket (at least 6 quarts):

3 cups lukewarm water
32 ounces (6 1/2 to 7 1/2 cups) King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
1 tablespoon salt
1 1/2 tablespoons instant yeast

Wait a minute – exactly how much flour do I use, 6 1/2 cups or 7 1/2 cups?

You want to use 32 ounces, so if you have a scale – or a 2-pound bag of King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour – you’re golden.

If you don’t  have a scale, the amount your use depends on how you measure flour. If you measure it the way we do here at King Arthur – the method all of our recipes are written for – you’ll use 7 1/2 cups.

If you measure via the “dip and sweep” method – that is, you dip your cup into the flour canister, tapping the cup to kinda tamp it down, then sweeping off the excess – use 6 1/2 cups.

Why? Because flour you dip out of the canister can weigh about 25% more than flour you measure by the King Arthur “sprinkle and sweep” method. So by volume, you use less of it to achieve the target weight of 32 ounces.

Note to eagle-eyed scale-users: Assuming a weight of 4 1/4 ounces per cup of King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour, 7 1/2 cups will weigh 31 5/8 ounces. If you’re using a 2-lb. bag of flour – CLOSE ENOUGH!

img_4031.JPG

Mix and stir everything together to make a very sticky, rough dough. If you have a stand mixer, beat at medium speed with the beater blade for 30 to 60 seconds.

img_4037.JPG

If you don’t have a mixer, just stir-stir-stir with a big spoon or dough whisk till everything is combined.

img_4035.JPG

See how the dough comes together, and starts to follow the dough whisk around the bucket?

img_4032.JPG

Next, you’re going to let the dough rise. If you’ve made the dough in a plastic bucket, you’re all set – just let it stay there, covering the bucket with a lid or plastic wrap; a shower cap actually works well here.

If you’ve made the dough in a bowl that’s not at least 6-quart capacity, transfer it to a large bowl; it’s going to rise a lot. There’s no need to grease the bowl, though you can if you like; it makes it a bit easier to get the dough out when it’s time to bake bread.

img_4289.JPG

Cover the bowl or bucket, and let the dough rise at room temperature for 2 hours.

img_4294.JPG

It’ll rise quite vigorously.

img_4321.JPG

Refrigerate the dough for at least 2 hours, or for up to about 7 days. (If you’re pressed for time, you can skip the initial room-temperature rise, and stick it right into the fridge).

Over the course of the first day or so in the fridge, it’ll rise, then fall. That’s OK; that’s what it’s supposed to do. The longer you keep the dough chilled, the tangier it’ll get; if you chill it for 7 days, it will taste like sourdough.

img_4077.JPG

When you’re ready to bake, take the dough out of the refrigerator.

img_4127.JPG

Sprinkle the top of the dough with flour; this will make it easier to grab a hunk.

img_4128.JPG

Grease your hands, and pull off about 1/4 to 1/3 of the dough — a 14-ounce to 19-ounce piece, if you have a scale. It’ll be about the size of a softball, or a large grapefruit.

img_4457.JPG

Will you look at that gluten?! Gluten, a combination of liquid-activated proteins in flour, is the stretchy matrix that makes it possible for yeast bread to rise.

img_4134.JPG

Plop the sticky dough onto a floured work surface, and round it into a ball, or a longer log. Don’t fuss around trying to make it perfect; just do the best you can.

Place the dough on a piece of parchment (if you’re going to bake on a hot pizza stone); or onto a lightly greased or parchment-lined baking sheet. Sift a light coating of flour over the top; this will help keep the dough moist as it rests before baking.

img_4326.JPG

You don’t have to make a ball. Make a longer, baguette-type loaf, if you like.

Let the dough rise for about 45 to 60 minutes. It won’t appear to rise upwards that much; rather, it’ll seem to settle and expand.

Preheat your oven (and pizza stone, if you’re using one) to 450°F while the dough rests. Place a shallow pan on the lowest oven rack, with another rack right above it. Have 1 cup of hot water ready to go.

img_4145.JPG

When you’re ready to bake, take a sharp knife and slash the bread 2 or 3 times, making a cut about 1/2” deep.

img_4147.JPG

The bread may deflate a bit. That’s OK…

img_4149.JPG

…it’ll pick right up in the hot oven.

Place the bread directly on the pizza stone (complete with parchment)…

img_4348.JPG

…or place the pan on the rack above the lower rack.

No baking stone? No worries. While a stone does give a slightly chewier bottom crust, a baking sheet gives just as much pop.

Carefully pour the 1 cup hot water into the shallow pan on the lowest oven rack. It’ll bubble and steam; close the oven door quickly.

So what’s with the steam? It settles on the bread’s crust, making it soft and flexible enough to rise as high as possible during those first few crucial minutes of baking.

Bake the bread for 25 to 35 minutes, until it’s a deep, golden brown. Remove it from the oven, and place it on a rack to cool.

img_4160.JPG

This loaf is pretty, but I’d call it a bit under-baked; it should really be darker, to ensure the interior is the optimum consistency.

img_4269.JPG

OK, experiment time. I was looking for larger, more irregular holes in the bread, and thought, maybe a wetter (slacker) dough?

Loaf on the left, 24 ounces water. Loaf on the right, 26 ounces water. The slacker dough was MUCH more difficult to work with, and didn’t yield appreciably bigger/more irregular holes. I’d say stick with the 24 ounces water.

img_4428.JPG

Here’s dough shaped in a flattened oval – a ciabatta. Don’t be afraid to try different shapes.

img_4359.JPG

Perfect!

img_4830.JPG

Here’s bread made from dough that had been in the fridge for 9 days. WHOOPS! Would it still work?

You betcha! This dough made a great loaf – perhaps my best yet. It was unbelievably chewy/crusty, and full of those big, irregular holes I’d been seeking earlier.

When it was fully baked, I left it there on the stone, turned off the oven, and cracked the door open a few inches with a folded potholder. Cooling it in the oven made its crust wonderfully crunchy/crackly.

Well, here we are at the bottom line. And what do we all conclude, bakers?

Even if this is your very first encounter with yeast, you can make wonderful, artisan-style bread.

All it takes is this:

King Arthur Flour.

Water.

SAF yeast.

Salt.

And your new favorite recipe: No-Knead Crusty White Bread.

Read, rate, and review (please!) No-Knead Crusty White Bread.

For great no-knead recipes using whole grains and healthy ingredients, check out Jeff Hertzberg and Zoë François’ Healthy Bread in Five Minutes a Day.

And, if you’re someone who likes to “bake metric” – Jeff and Zoë’s original best-seller, Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day, is now available in a British version, featuring metric measurements. Look for it at Amazon.co.uk.

P.S. We’ve also discovered this recipe is a great base for our artisan bread flavors. Check it out:

DSC_5226

It’s easy. Pull off a piece of dough (about 14 to 15 ounces) and, before shaping, knead about 1/3 cup of one of our four artisan bread flavors into the dough (l to r): 12-grain, pumpernickel, herb and garlic, or olive. Tasty – and easy!

comments

1. Judy

Looks terrific! I don’t have a pizza stone, but I do have one of your domed Le Cloche ovens. Could you please tell us how to modify the recipe to use it? Thanks!!

Judy, try using just the base of the cloche as a stone. Or add the lid, and bake a bit longer. Same temperature. Should work just fine. PJH

2. Melleah

This recipe looks really good and easy. I love how you can make different loaf shapes with it. Could you make it with whole wheat flour? It would be worth a try. Just increase your water by about 2 -3 tablespoons. Let us know how it comes out! Mary @ KAF

3. Cynthia

I’ve been making these breads since the book first came out and there have been times when the dough has been left in the fridge for an unconscionable amount of time (3 weeks +/-) and it STILL comes out delicious! It’s really good shortly after the initial overnight rise, but it’s very forgiving if you leave it for a while!

Cynthia, I thought 9 days was stretching it – thanks for that information, now I’ll feel free to let it sit awhile longer. PJH

4. Dan

this was the recipe that first got me interested in bread baking a few years ago. I still use it as a basic everyday bread, but have since learned more traditional methods. Now I kind of prefer working with drier, less sticky dough, but this formula is almost failsafe.

5. Beth

Awesome recipe. It’s almost exactly the same as “Artisan Breads in Five Minutes a Day”, and I was so excited to see you measure the flour in ounces, because I always use King Arthur flour for it, and the measurements were a little uncertain in the book, at least to me. Since I have a very picky five year old who doesn’t appreciate a good crackling crust (oh, the humanity!) I often also use this basic dough to roll out flatbreads or pitas… they only take about 5-6 minutes to bake on the hot stone, and you don’t need to add the steam. Make it slightly bigger, and you’ve got pizza dough! Because I can never leave well enough alone, I usually add some percentage of whole wheat flour or wheat germ, and as long as it’s not too much (no more than 2 cups substitution, I’d say), the bread doesn’t suffer in taste or texture!

Beth, the recipe on the site credit Jeff and Zoe for the basis for this recipe; I’ve simply changed the amount of flour a bit.. Their new “5 Minutes” book is all about whole grains and healthy breads – I’m trying my first recipe from it tomorrow, olive spelt bread. Can’t wait! PJH

6. Jamie

I need to call the baker’s hotline for help – I’ve tried a few loaves of bread lately and they have been rising beautifully up until I put them on the sheet pan to do the final pre-bake rise and they spread out more than rise. I’ve made several ciabatta style breads lately when I’ve intended to have taller loaves. Could it be that I used a silicone mat under the loaves instead of parchment or the plain pan? I’m so inspired and would like to be able to bake good bread without the bread machine, too!

Jamie, sounds like either your bread is rising a bit too long throughout the whole process (the gluten eventually weakens); or it’s just a bit too soft/slack. Try using ab it more flour, and not letting it rise quite as long for the first rise, OK? And do call the hotline – they can definitely talk you through it. Good luck – PJH

7. Julien

This makes a dought of about 80% ratio water/flour (by weight 26oz/32oz). I am usually doing a ratio of 70-75% and it is really sticky and does not seem to have enough consistancy to rise vertically (it looks like your wetter/slacker version).

I don’t know I must be doing something wrong. When you are forming the ball/torpedo do you add much flour? How do you get it to keep its shape while rising out and then in the oven?

Not wrong, Julien – just different. I prefer to think there’s no “right” and “wrong” in bread-baking. First, the dough is cold so it’s naturally less sticky. Second, it’s been resting for at least hours, more often days, and it’s gotten less slack and the gluten has continued to develop, giving it more body. Third, I dump the sticky dough onto a fairly heavily floured board, and it does pick up some flour. I thnk the main difference though, is that rest in the fridge. Going in, it’s so slack you really wouldn’t want to work with it. After a day or so, it’s firmed up pretty nicely – still slack, but workable. Give the fridge method a try, I think you’ll like it – PJH

8. linda

this looks super easy & since this will be my second time with yeast i am going for it!
    received my kaf catalogue today & the usa pans are listed…happy holidays to me…

Happy holidays to us all, Linda – enjoy! PJH

9. Helen in CA

You should give credit to ARTISAN BREAD IN 5 MINUTES or the authors (Jeff Hertzberg & Zoe Francois) for this.

I do give them credit, Helen – click through to the recipe. I’m in touch with Jeff often – in fact, just emailed with him this afternoon about his new book, which looks fabulous. I’ll be making my first recipe from it tomorrow. PJH

10. Helen in CA

Whole wheat? Sure…..just look in Jeff Hertzberg & Zoe Francois’s book HEALTHY BREAD IN 5 MINUTES. Or their website http://www.artisanbreadinfive.com.

Look for the Master Recipe. They’ve worked it all out. After all, they’re the one’s who came up w/ this technique. Hint: there are a couple of special tricks for wwflour.

Sorry to sound snarky. It’s just the whole credit where credit’s due thing.

Helen, check out the recipe. I always assume folks will click through to the recipe, which is where you get the weights. Sorry I rubbed you the wrong way here – but as I said, Jeff and I have a very happy, collegial relationship, and I’d never “steal” anything from him, honest – I told him this afternoon to look for this blog, so I’m not hiding anything, honest! PJH

11. kate

OOOH you have no idea how excited i am to try this! the best part is i can put it all together now and bake it this weekend :)

question – would the extra 2-3 tbsp of water also apply if using the white wheat flour?

No need for the extra water, Kate – But if you’re using 100% whole wheat, all bets are off – this recipe is written for AP flour. Stay tuned on a report about Jeff & Zoe’s newest book, “Healthy Bread in 5 Minutes a Day.” Book is for sale at Amazon now – take a look. PJH

12. Charlene S.

Actually, the “No-Knead Bread” frenzy–the modern one at least, began with Jim Lahey at the Sullivan Bakery in NYC, with help from Mark Bittman and the NYTimes—and, if you go back far enough in history, we’d have to credit the earliest bakers, who used this very method and a fire to bake their breads. All this interest is great for getting everyone to make bread–the easier and more accessible, the better! (and I am a college educator who teaches citations, so I have a vested interested in giving credit where credit is due—but not needed when it the information is common knowledge and long-standing!)

Thanks, Charlene. And before Jim, as you say, were the legions of ’50s housewives making cottage cheese/dill batter bread. As you say, very slack yeast doughs strecth back to the times of emmer and einkorn… PJH

13. Allie

I just love that book… I have tried a bunch of the recipes and they all turn out great. The best part was that I can use the recipes and just make teeny tiny breads just for me.

I want to say, though that you really do need the HUGE container for the dough to rise in. I know this from experience and trust me, it was not easy to clean up the next morning. :)

14. Jo L

I just made up a bucket of this dough from the recipe in the Artisan Bread in 5 min book. I didn’t want to sprinkle and sweep six and a half cups, so I weighed the first cup and then multiplied – my cup was 5 oz, so I used 32.5 oz total – glad to see I wasn’t far off.

In the book, it is mentioned that KAF’s All-Purpose Flour has a high protein content in the range of most flours labelled bread flour. Do you think this affects the bread much? Does KAF sell an alternative closer to ‘regular’ AP flour?

Jo, our AP flour is 11.7%, bread flour 12.7%. Our Perfect Pastry Blend (a.k.a. Mellow Pastry Blend) is 10.3%, which puts it right in line with the range for Gold Medal and Pillsbury AP flours. PJH

15. Sue

I’m going to make sure that my college aged son has this link. I know he has the previous post you did bookmarked. http://www.kingarthurflour.com/blog/2009/06/15/yeast-101-a-required-course-for-new-grads/He's made many successful loaves based on that entry. That entry was also a plug for Jeff and Zoe’s first book, so obviously you’re giving credit where credit is due. And as Charlene pointed out this technique is as old as stone hearth baking. Thanks for another great entry. Like I said my son will definitely benefit from this.

Great, Sue – bake it forward! I’m loving that the next generation can take and run with this “new” method, which is actually old as old can be – but brought to light again by Jim Lahey and Mark Bittman and Jeff Hertzberg and Zoe Francois and everyone who makes their own tweaks to the basic flour-water-salt-yeast formula. Thanks for connecting, as always – PJH

16. Evelin

With regards to the cloche … I’d definitely recommend you give it a try. I cook a no-knead bread in a Dutch Oven … and it has the best crust, no messy water necessary in the oven, either.

17. Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction

Wow – loved all of the tips and info about baking bread. My mom is an expert bread baker, but I have never quite gotten a good feel for it. I will definitely give this a try… It looks like bread that even I can make!

Jen, YOU CAN DO THIS. Totally. And soon you’ll be rivaling your mom! Have fun – PJH

18. AJ

None of my son’s bread books are handy, but does the dough bucket/
    container need to be covered while it’s in the refrigerator?

Yes, AJ, cover it – keeps the dough from developing a thick crust. Refrigerators are actually a very dry environment, did you know that? PJH

19. LaGringa

I’ve been using Cook’s Illustrated’s version (uses beer, vinegar) and love it. I like the idea/option of keeping it in the fridge-inevitably I forget to make it the night before the day I need to use it!

I have trouble with the bottom of the loaves getting too crisp and hard. Maybe your method will work-I’ll try it!

Thanks.

20. Tom

I’ve been playing around with minimally kneaded, refrigerator retarded, high hydration dough for quite a while now. I’ve baked them in dutch ovens, on a baking stone, and on a sheet pan. I’ve added cheese cubes (asiago is great), and sprinkled with seeds. This is a great concept and appears to be nearly foolproof.

This recipe is quite a bit dryer than my current favorite – I bet it’s MUCH easier to work with. I’m off to the kitchen to mix up a batch tonight! -Tom

Tom, you’re ahead of me – I’m mixing up my spelt/olive dough this morning. Let us know how your new hydration works out. P.S. Still glowing? :) PJH

21. Marcia

My Mother made a recipe similar to this in the 50s and 60s. I will try keeping this in the refrig a week or so. I have been playing around with my sour dough starter to make a half whole wheat bread. Made chocolate cranberry sour dough recently; added walnuts to the second loaf.

I will try this with part whole wheat. I wonder how it would as rolls or buns?

Marcia, it works fine as rolls – it seems to work fine any shape you like! Just remember it’s a “lean” dough (no fat), so it won’t make a soft roll or sandwich loaf; much more suited to crisp/crunchy/chewy type loaves. Enjoy – PJH

22. Jeri

Question for all you Dutch Oven users–I’ve just started playing around with that idea. I’ve read different versions of it–with a pre-heated DO, and without. Which do you prefer? The pre-heated makes the most sense to me!

Jeri, preheated works well IF you’re sure your Dutch oven can take being heated to a high temperature with nothing in it. Cast iron – no problem. Stoneware? Check the manufacturer’s instructions. Some stoneware’s OK; some, danger of breakage. The other tricky issue is turning that risen bread into the hot pan – you need to be very careful; for safety reasons, of course, but also that the loaf doesn’t stick to whatever it’s been rising in/on, and is able to settle happily into the hot pan. All in all – it’s worth trying if you know you Dutch oven can take the heat. Good luck – PJH

23. Trisha

I have enjoyed Jeff and Zoe’s first book and recently sent it to my daughter in California. I look forward to mixing up some bread on the weekends so I can relax after work with a slice of great bread from the oven! What a great recipe for the holiday season.

24. Karen

I have been making ABin5 for a while now and sometimes the dough came out too wet and sometimes too dry. What I did figure out is that I was measuring the flour differently from the book’s directions. I’m so used to measuring by scooping a measuring cup and then pouring that flour into another measuring cup but their directions state to just scoop the flour into a cup. The latter method provides more flour than my method (mine provides a fluffier fill if that makes sense). Since I realized this difference, my bread comes out perfect…

25. Lish

Can’t wait to make this. I love the rye that was in your catalog a while ago that you can let sit for a week. My family loves crusty chewy rolls, and now I can make just enough for a meal at a time. I really have to invest in the artisan bread in 5 minutes books, since you are all raving about them. I have had great luck with all kinds of batter breads and no knead breads from KAF, website, cookbooks and Baking Sheet. I made bread mixes from Kneadlessly Simple for Christmas gifts with loaf pans. I made a chocolate one yesterday from KS and it is yummy! And I can always fit the no knead recipes into a busy schedule because they are so forgiving. Love it!

26. Erin in PA

This recipe is GREAT! Thanks for the pictures of the variations in the bread. I have been baking this recipe (along with the other ABin5 and HBin5 too!) since the book first came out – it definitely is impressive with the crunch and the chewiness! I just made the 100% Whole Wheat Sandwich dough from the new book in my KA Pain de Mie pan – FANTASTIC!!!

27. Emilie

Hi PJ. Just last night I put 2 lbs. of KAF AP in my bread bucket and was planning on adding the remaining ABIF ingredients this morning. So it’s perfect timing to try your version! I’m just curious about the amount of water and salt. That’s obviously where you varied it, as theirs calls for 1.5 T kosher salt (and I assume you mean 1 T. table), and Jeff and Zoe specifically mention increasing the water from 3 cups to 3.25 if using KAF’s high protein AP flour. So can you share what those slight variations cause in terms of the finished product compared to the original recipe? Thanks!

Most all purpose flour has a gluten level of 10%, our King Arthur AP Flour has a gluten level of 11.7% , hence the increase in liquid for the higher gluten or protein level. Our testing found the 1 T. (tablespoon) of salt gave the flavor we were looking for in this recipe. Irene @ KAF

Emilie, Jeff and Zoe measure their flour differently than we do here; theirs weighs more per cup. I’ve worked the recipe out to take into account flour weighing 4 1/4 ounces per cup; and the amount of water for 32 ounces of flour – at this time of the year – is perfect. (You’d use less water in the summer, when the atmosphere is more humid). Since I’ve never made the recipe using flour other than KA, I can’t really comment on the difference between the KA version and a version using a lower-protein flour. All I can say is, the recipe here works with the ingredients/amounts as listed – as Irene commented above. Yours in good bread (however you arrive at it!) – PJH

28. Joni M

I have a friend who took some cooking classes in France–her bread class instructor told the class to just throw two or three ice cubes to the bottom or floor of her oven for the moisture and steam for crusty breads–been doing that now for years and it works great. I’m such a klutz I’d probably spill the water or get burned trying to pour it into the pan…Ice cubes do the trick and are real quick and easy so you can get the door closed real fast!

Joni, some oven manufacturers don’t recommend the ice cubes thing – they say it may warp the oven’s floor. That’s why I don’t advise it here, but everyone’s certainly welcome to try in their own oven – glad it’s worked for you. You can also throw ice cubes into a cast iron pot or frying pan that you’ve had heating in the oven. – PJH

1. Nancy Griffin

My chef grandson put a stone on the bottom of my oven a few years ago – it’s a square intended for making patios outdoors, but it works. And it’s so heavy I don’t want to try dragging it out. Seems to do something for diffusing the heat and the ice cube method would work perfectly on it. Wish I had read this blog before I made two loaves last night. That batch of dough had been in the fridge at least two weeks. I’ve had it in there for three and it’s worked beautifully. I LOVE this recipe. Works for my impulsive side, and because so often it’s hard to devote the day to all the regular bread-making steps. I’m hooked on this recipe for life. PJ Hamel – saw the KAF truck at the Lobster Festival. Asked for you – you weren’t there – and was told I was not the first to ask for you! You’re a legend in mid-coast Maine. You must come visit!

29. Birgit D

I cannot stress enough the word *careful* for pouring the water into the pan. I was less than careful and ended up making a $300 loaf of bread (the cost to replace my oven glass, which promptly cracked into a bunch of pieces when I spilled water onto it — cool water and hot glass are a bad combination). I’ve actually stopped putting the water in, and the bread still bakes up fine, just with a bit less crunch.

I have your Artisan Bread Baking Crock — could you give me instructions on how to bake this bread using it?

If you check out the recipe here it will tell how to use the crock. Again, be careful when adding the bread to the dutch oven and pushing it back into the oven. Irene @ KAF

30. Jen

Could you use this dough to make pizza?

Sure! No need to use steam in the oven. You might also want to check our blog on sourdough pizza for tips and ideas! Irene @ KAF

31. Ward S.

Hi all! Just wanted to let you know I’ve made this recipe before and frozen it for up to 6-months. It still works fine but doesn’t have the crisp flavor you get when baking it within a week or so. You can’t beat the convenience and simplicity of this method, which produces a very good tasting bread with a great chew.

32. AJ

A thought…I like the ice cube hint. Why not throw ice cubes in the lower
    pan rather than the oven floor? Ice cubes would be waaaay easier for
    me to use!

33. Noelle Wharton

What about using your bread flour instead of the unbleached all purpose?

Use some bread flour (like 1/4 the amount) and see what your results are…then decide if adding more will still meet your needs next time you bake. Irene @ KAF

34. Adele Sierega

I’ve had wonderful success with all your recipes, from your Bread Bowls to your No-Knead Harvest Bread. I’m getting ready to try “No-Knead Crusty White Bread,” but just realized I am out of parchment paper. Would it work if I used a silpat mat or shall I just stick with a baking sheet?

Also, is there any danger in the dough drying out while rising if it’s not covered well with flour?

It’s disturbing to me to read criticisms of your work, i.e., not giving credit to others. You are much appreciated for your unselfishness in sharing recipes, tips and all kinds of advice. Many thanks to all of you for all your help and kindness.
    Hi Adele,
    You can certainly use the Silpat mat under the bread, it will help with the sticky-ish dough. The coating of flour is light, like sifting sugar on a cookie. You just want to provide a light layer of protection from drying out. Thanks again for your kind comments, we aim to please! ~ MaryJane

35. Rick

I have a question about the SAF instant yeast. Is this the yeast that you have to let sit in the water and froth first, or is it really the instant yeast that’s ready to go?

Instant yeast is good to go….no proofing required. Mix it right in with the dry ingredients. Irene @ KAF

36. Rose

Can I use Active Dry Yeast instead of instant? If so, how much?

Sure, Rose. Use the same amount; dissolve it in the water first. PJH

37. Kari Pokorny

I need to make a bread that is at least 50% non-wheat…what kinds of flours can I just to achieve that? I’m dying to hear how the spelt came out!!!

Spelt isn’t non-wheat, Kari – if you’re talking celiac or gluten issues. Spelt is a type of wheat whose gluten does seem easier to digest, but it’s still wheat. Non-wheat flours that bakers use include rice, tapioca starch, and potato starch. However, you can’t just substitute them for wheat flour willy-nilly. best to follow a specific recipe. There are lots of good gluten-free baking books out there; we offer Gluten-Free Baking Classics online here. And we’ll also be offering our own delicious King Arthur gluten-free mixes beginning this winter sometime. Good luck – PJH

38. Daria

Thanks for all of the no-knead recipes. A freak custard cup accident has taken my Kitchen Aid Pro 6 out of commission for a month or so, so I’m glad to have some “stir and go” recipes.

(The mixer is no longer under warranty, but the KA repair people are very nice, and I expect that they’ll do good work for far less than the price of a new mixer. Note: if adding stuff to the mixer via a hard secondary implement, turn off the beater, no matter how quick and easy that stuff seems like it will be to add.)
    OMG Daria, “a freak custard cup accident” struck my funny bone and had me in giggles! It reminded me of my “freak toast incident” Thanks for the smiles today! ~ MaryJane

39. Carolyn

Your timing is impeccable. Received the Artisan Bread in 5 minutes book just two days ago and have been reading/studying it. (Just made a loaf of bread a couple of days ago plus the fridge is rather full at the moment. No room for a big bucket of dough.) But I was looking at the 6 qt. dough rising bucket just this morning and figuring to maybe start some dough to have ready in a couple more days. I live alone (the cat doesn’t like bread) so a loaf lasts most of a week. It’ll be great to have all your pics when it’s time to shape and bake. I got a second copy of the book to give my niece. Hope she or one of her kids will try this. I’ll put in a note referencing this blog.

Carolyn

P.S. I buy my cookbooks from ‘Jessica’s Biscuit’, a division of the New England Book Fair in Newtonville, MA. Great prices and I think they have every cookbook in print. Amazing selection.

C.

40. Susan W

What a win, win! Nothing could be better than the combination of KA Flour and Artisan Bread in Five Minutes. I have been using KA for years and the Bread in Five Minutes since I found the book months ago. PJ and this recipe show you how you can have great “fancy Artisan” breads so easily anytime you want it. I have done this bread, a fried bread, an olive rosemary bread, a topped by the works bread, several variations more. They are all very good and so easy. This is a great fit for a busy work week schedule and a family who wants every meal special.

You can freeze the dough. Mornings, I raid the freezer for soup and bread dough, thaw in the fridge and come home to an easy finish up of soup and bread for super. I forgot the dough once for three weeks and got a gorgeous sourdough bread.

The only real limit here is your creativity, KA flour gives you great results. I hope you’ll try this recipe, it is a nice to have in your fridge.

Thanks for sharing your success with all of us, Susan – sounds like dinners are mighty tasty at your house! PJH

41. Beth @ 990 Square

I love no knead bread! But I clicked over here hoping for a recipe I could use in my new Zo (which is on it’s way to me from KAF). Do you all have an index of recipes that are bread machine friendly?

Beth, all yeast breads are bread machine friendly, if you simply use the bread machine to knead the dough. Take a look at our Yeast Breads category in the recipe archive; scroll down, and you’ll find categories for both breads baked in the machine, and breads baked out of the machine, written specifically for bread machines. PJH

42. Hal K.

Looks like a great chance to take a break from being kneady. Would it work as well if I were to use your white wheat flour? Would it be better if I’d add a few tablespoons of gluten?

Thanks for the guidance.

Don’t know, Hal; haven’t tried it. It would certainly be different – not as high-rising, different flavor. Give it a whirl, let us know how it goes. I think you’d want to add about 3 tablespoons more water, if you’re using 100% white wheat… PJH

43. Lorna Liebe

what is your opinion on baking bread in a conventional oven VS convection? If you prefer convection, do you have to adjust the temperature and the time is takes to bake?

Sorry, Lorna, I’ve never used a convection oven. I hear they bake more quickly, and something like “bake for 20% less time” sticks in my mind… Readers, does anyone have any advice for Lorna? PJH

44. Steven

I enjoyed the idea of “Artisan Breads in Five Minutes” but the method resulted in having a great deal of dough in my fridge, which didn’t really work for my small family of two. Also, I found that if I made a “normal” size loaf the results would often be somewhat gummy. And the smallish loaves that book produces were just not enough to last the workweek or to serve at a dinner party.

I have had better luck with Nancy Baggett’s “Kneadlessly Simple” book, in which you mix up a batch (for one and sometimes two loaves) and just leave it in a bowl on the counter for 12-18 hours and then bake it off (or you can refrigerate it after mixing too). Her method produces generous-size loaves with no gumminess or heaviness. Her book also offers an amazing variety of breads, from artisan (including “dutch oven” breads) to old-fashioned white loaves to dessert breads. A great addition is a section in which Baggett offers tips on converting any favorite bread recipe into one using her method. By the way, Lahey didn’t invent the no-knead method, it’s been around forever; he just revived the method and made it popular again.

45. Sharon

Using a cast-iron Dutch oven that’s preheated works wonderfully, and you can put your shaped dough on a square of parchment paper to make it easy to transfer. Once the dough is set, peel off the parchment and finish baking the bread. (It’s fine to leave the parchment the whole time, but it may get very crispy and break into small pieces when you remove the finished loaf.)

46. Tony P

I’ve been making bread like this for a while now. While I agree that the book “Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day” is the basis for my current method, I wouldn’t agree they came up with this idea. I’ve seen similar ideas before in other books. (Wet dough in the refrigerator overnight…)

Don’t get me wrong, I love the book, and am glad to see the recipe here with weights.

The only problem with this bread is that it’s so darn good my wife has told me to stop making it as she’s eating too many carbs… DOH! I have a batch going right now that has some of the KA Harvest Grains mix thrown in. Should get some baked tomorrow morning. (Sorry dear… :))

Tony, I feel your pain… and your wife’s, too! I love carbs… too bad they’re not no-calorie. But surely you have friends and neighbors who’d appreciate some of your bread largesse? :) PJH

47. Julie

Great blog! I’ve been using America’s Test Kitchen version of no-knead bread and their version uses only 1/4 tsp instant yeast for each 15 ounces of A/P flour. This recipe uses 1 1/2 Tbsp yeast for 32 ounces of flour. What’s your take on such a large variance in the amounts of yeast?

My version rises perfectly but I bake mine the next day. I’d really like to make a bigger batch now and take some as I need it. Great idea!

Julie, yeast is so easy to work with – you can use more, less, it ends up doing its thing one way or another. I’d guess Cook’s recipe has you letting the dough rise longer than 2 hours before using? This recipe, you can actually bake bread 2 hours after making the dough. That might be what the difference is. PJH

48. Jen

maybe a silly question – but I am a novice yeast bread maker….would it be ok to halve the recipe? Is there a reason this makes so much? For me it would be difficult to find a large enough container to hold all that dough!

Sure, Jen, not a problem. Halve, or cut in thirds, though I wouldn’t cut down more than that. Yeast baking is very friendly! PJH

49. Annie

Regarding using a dutch oven for baking this bread: I’ve been making my ABin5 this way for over a year. I give the dough its pre-baking rest on parchment paper, then use the parchment paper to lift the dough and place it into my preheated duch oven. Then I use the parchment to lift the loaf out of the dutch oven when it’s finished baking. It makes is safe and easy.

50. Sara in SE Michigan

Why when making bread do you use all purpose flour and not bread flour. I noticed this in the potato roll recipe posted last week too. (Great rolls even made with bread flour). Just wondering!

Sara, our all-purpose flour is truly ALL-PURPOSE – good for all your baking, from pie crust and biscuits to yeast bread. King Arthur is a higher percentage protein than other national brands, because it’s made from more expensive wheat; thus it’s suitable for bread. Our bread flour, with its even higher protein, is good when you want to make very high-rising loaves; or combine with whole grains to give them some lift. PJH

51. O B Dan

In an earlier post Kate asked:

Might she have been referring to KA’s White WHOLE Wheat flour and whether it needed the extra water?

I was wondering about substituting some KA White Whole Wheat Flour myself – Dan

Yes, I’m assuming Kate was talking about white whole wheat. All I can say is, give it a try – if you’re only adding a tiny bit of white wheat, don’t adjust the water. If you’re going 100% white wheat, you’ll probably need to increase the water a bit, though I don’t know how much, as I haven’t tried it. I also don’t know how the bread will rise and bake, using 100% white wheat. I’d start with 3 tablespoons extra water, see if that gives you the hydration you like, OK? then take it from there, see if it works. Good luck – PJH

52. LindaDV

I tried the ice in a cast iron pan for steam and the seasoning is gone. Next I tried the hot water in the pan with some success. I heard that some oven windows will break if water is spilled on it. I like my cast iron Dutch oven the best. I pre-heat it (no plastic knob) and use parchment to make a sling for the loaf to rest on and go into the pan. I dry fit it to remove the excess parchment so that it will go in smoothly. My pan has a black coating on the cast iron, I think that this might be the cause for the very dark bottom crust. I will experiment with something in the pan to raise the bread off the bottom.

I use KAF bread flour at 7000 feet for stronger dough.

53. Sandy

I am using your yeast and it works great. But I am no mathmatician, and some of my recipes say to use the yeast you have to proof. My problem is using the correct amount of red yeast to equal two packets of yeast.
    I know that I have not used enough yeast in some of the receipes,usually after the dough isin the oven, but it comes out ok anyway. How do I make sure I convert correctly from packets to the SAF measure?
    I am loving this new hobby of making Artisanal Breads (I love saying that), and I have made the no-knead crusty bread dough. It comes out great and your online step by step pictures are so helpful for us newbies.

What I really want to know is the conversion table from proof type yeast packets to SAF yeast.

Hi Sandy – A packet of yeast has 2 generous teaspoons, by measurement. Use about 2 1/4 teaspoons SAF Red instant yeast to equal each packet of active dry. Do you need to use less, because it’s instant? No; go ahead and use the same amount. Hope this helps – PJH

54. Poppy

I have been using the ABin5 Peasant bread variation (substitute 1/2 cup your rye flour and 1/2 cup white whole wheat for one cup of the AP flour–healthier and more flavor!
    For the question on too hard bottom crusts, (which I prefer), try leaving the loaf on a parchment sheet for the whole baking period and it won’t be as dark or hard. I remove the parchment from the baking stone as soon as the loaf is firmed up enough to do so, so that the bottom will be more like the top and sides.
    Thank you for giving the flour in ounces, which I didn’t find in the book!
    I’m eager to hear about the breads in the second volume!

55. SoupAddict Karen

Ahhh, just in time. I’ve been experimenting with a couple of different formulas for bread bowls (to be filled with yummy soups – I’m an addict, don’t ya know), and the look of these loaves is exactly what I’m after. I’m going to get the dough going tonight so it’ll be ready for the weekend.
    You GO girl! I LOVE soup too and I’m on my way to check out your site. Thanks for sharing! ~ MaryJane

56. DayOwl

Uh-oh! I usually stir and “fluff” my flour before measuring. It helps avoid really heavy finished products. Should I perhaps go with 7 cups?

You can go with the 7 1/2 cups – stirring and fluffing and then spooning is the way we do it here, too. PJH

57. Carolyn

I love Jeff and Zoe! I’m hoping to get their new book for Christmas (I’ve certainly dropped enough hints!).

I appreciate having the measurements in weights here. Their books are great, but they are definitely a little more “casual” in terms of directions than I like my baking! Can’t help it when you’re a scientist…

58. LaJuana

I’ve been a fan of ABin5 for over a year now and have started on the new HBin5 though I’m reluctant to stray far from my favorite buttermilk dough in the first book….what’s not to love from dough that will give you wonderful loaves of traditional and cinnamon raisin bread!

I haven’t read all of the post here but did notice a mention of salt. I believe I read that Jeff and Zoe have reduced the salt in the new HBin5 book and as you chose to use less, they too suggest people use whatever amount they prefer.

I seldom use water any more, I went from the pizza stone and adding the water, to using a enamel covered Dutch oven, to simply using a couple of clay baking containers I bought from P.C. 15 or so years ago. One is standard loaf pan and one tall and round, similar to baking in a can …for a round loaf of bread. It is perfect for making small loaves to be used up in a couple of days. When I use the loaf pan I do two “balls” of dough and bake them side by side, perfect to keep one and share one without slicing a loaf in half.

And by all means, for all who can, buy the dough whisk here! I love my KitchenAid but I don’t love cleaning it when I don’t have to and it’s been my experience that it’s really not necessary with this dough. I find the large whisk perfect for mixing the dough and my smaller one gets its share of use with smaller batches of things like cookies, muffins, cupcakes, scones. They are two of the most often used tools in my kitchen…worth every penny!

ABin5 also has a terrific website and like everyone here at KAF, they are most generous in communicating with those who post on their site. It amazes me to find sites like these two…these are what make the internet better than I would have ever dreamed it would be. From all of the talented bakers here to Jeff and Zoe at ABin5 and even world renowned Dorie Greenspan…it’s truly amazing. I can’t speak for the other internet communities but the baking world is blessed by all of these people!

So true, LaJuana – I’ve found the online baking community to be a generous, warm and friendly group, all in all. Thanks for joining in the fun! PJH

59. Jenn

I’m so glad to see so many fans of AB in 5. I’ve picked the book up several times but never actually purchased it. I consider the opinions on this blog a ringing endorsement and won’t hesitate to grab it the next time I see it!

60. Helen in CA

(Referencing my earlier post)

Never thought y’all were hiding anything. It’s just……there’s a world of folks who read this blog that might not know about the original book (or the new one) that came up w/ this technique.

It’s so easy to forget to reference our sources. And so important to keep copyright real (as I’m sure you can appreciate w/ your own writings/photos). Thanks for the lovely blog here.

You’re welcome, Helen. I probably should have mentioned Jeff in the blog as well as the recipe. But as I said – we have a good working relationship, and he’s fine with sharing – we sell his book on our site, and will soon be selling both of them. We ALL benefit when we bake bread. And I always liked what Julia Child said – “If you don’t want to share your recipe, don’t write it down.” There are specific copyright laws covering a recipe’s written directions, but nothing legal for the ingredients.

Ethically, as recipe writers, we credit someone else if the ingredients we use are the same; if we change 2 or more, no need to credit, though it’s considered good manners to give a tip of the hat to the original author. Thus I cited Jeff and Zoe in the recipe; but simply didn’t think to do it in the blog, as I figure most people will get to the blog via the recipe once the blog sinks down beneath the weight of ever-oncoming new blogs. Anyway, that’s what happened. I’ve got their Spelt-Olive bread dough in the fridge right now – will bake it tomorrow and see how it does. Thanks for connecting – PJH

61. jenn

I may have goofed. I left my dough in the bowl for my stand mixer during the room temp. rise. Will I ruin it by transferring it before I put it in the refrigerator?

Oh no, Jenn, not at all! Yeast is endlessly forgiving. There’s seldom such a thing as “ruined” when you’re baking with yeast (unless you pour boiling water over it). Just cover and stick it in the fridge – you can keep it in the mixing bowl – if it’s proven large enough so far, it should be fine. Have fun – PJH

62. DM

This recipe is marvellous and the easiest possible. It has never failed me and I bake a whole wheat version every week! The original recipe didn’t use instant yeast, but I noticed no difference in the two loaves.I am so glad that KAF is sharing these fabulous recipes. They can give anyone the confidence to bake (and everyone should ;) )

63. Shannon

Could I cut this recipe in half (it’s only me and my hubby in the house)? Would it come out the same if I just used exactly half of the amount listed for each ingredient?

I halve cookie recipes all the time, but I’m always leery about messing around with bread recipes.

Sure, Shannon – not a problem, it’ll work fine cutting everything in half. Enjoy – PJH

64. LB

You mentioned using a shower cap over the container for the initial rise. Could it be used in the refrigerator, too? Sometimes, with both the Cambro and a Rubbermaid canister I also use, my dough will develop an alcohol smell and flavor — not yeasty, but alcohol-y, even in just 2 or 3 days — and I’ve wondered if I should use a different top. I believe that both the Cambro and my particular Rubbermaid are considered NOT air tight, so I don’t know what the problem is.

Thanks for a great blog!

Sure, I use those cheap, giveaway shower caps everywhere. You can get them at the dollar store for like 10/$1.00. Your dough doesn’t have to be covered airtight; just enough that it doesn’t develop a dry crust. Alcohol is the result of yeast growing too fast; not sure why yours might be doing that. But give our hotline a call, 802-649-3717 – they talk with folks about odd yeast things all the time, so they might have a handle on it. PJH

65. gina

I want to make this, but I always add flax seed to my breads instead of the oil could I still add that? and I would love to add the White whole wheat flour to it..could I add a cup of that and would that be beneficial enough or would I need to add a bit more.. my hopes it to make it not even seem like the wheat is in there for the kids. thanks

Gina, go ahead and add the flax. Experiment with the white wheat – start by substituting it for 1/3 of the all-purpose and working your way up from there if it gets the kids’ approval… Any amount is beneficial. PJH

66. maren

Someone mentions baking this in a dutch oven. How would I do this in my cast iron dutch oven?

Same as any Dutch oven, Maren – skim through these comments, you’ll find lots of good tips. Most people like to use parchment as a sling, and lower the bread into the hot oven that way. I haven’t tried it, but I’m sure it would work just fine. PJH

67. Jackie

There is nothing so gratifying as baking something that is not only so easy but also so professional looking. This will be my new go-to bread recipe for all occasions.

So true, Jackie – the result feels like so much more than the effort warrants, doesn’t it? :) PJH

68. cheryl

Would I need to do anything different…we built a outdoor brick pizza oven. Cooking times?

Cheryl, I’d think it might cook much faster, though if you put it in a falling oven (lowering, cooling temperature), it might be about the same. Give it a try – you’ll probably need to do one test loaf to nail the time exactly. Good luck – PJH

69. Donna R

Made this tonight for the first time. A beautiful loaf. My friend & neighbor said she LOVED this one better than my sourdough loaves.I prefer the twangy sour, but was super impressed with the ease, appearance and flavor.
    To up the nutrition, I used a mix of unbleached AP and unbleached white whole wheat and no one was the wiser. Will make again for gifts.

Donna, how much white wheat did ou use? Just curious how much you subbed, and no one noticed… PJH

70. Stefanie Samara Hamblen

I have alternately used a baking pan with water or just a apray bottle filled with water to provide steam.

I fill the baking pan with 1 inch of hot water and place it in the oven as it preheats, so the oven fills with steam.

Or if I’m feeling lazy, as I put the bread in I spritz the oven walls and floor with the spray bottle – but I have an all metal oven with no window, so there’s no danger – and the oven has to be sparkling clean.

71. Bridgid

Hi PJ,

I’m not commenting on the bread, although it looks fabulous. I am commenting on KAF all purpose flour, and I wanted to do it publicly. Forgive me for intially being skeptical about “what could the difference REALLY be between KAF all purpsose and other brands? I mean, ap flour is ap flour, right?” Those were my uninformed thoughts. So when KAF was on sale, I bought a 5 lb bag. And then I put it to the test. I made your Chocolate Snaps from the Cookie Companion, hoping for a cookie like Nabisco Chocolate Wafers ($4.49 for a 9oz package in my local store in NY.) I made a batch with KAF all purpose and a batch with a store brand all purpose. And….. the KAF was smoother. It felt better in my mouth. The dough was easier to work with. It tasted…nicer, smoother is the word that keeps coming to my mind. Just better. So I am sold that KAF is really better than other flours. It is worth paying more for it.

The Chocolate Snaps were better than I had hoped for and better than the Nabisco wafers and not full of chemicals. I loved them, as did my family. I tweaked the recipe slightly using KAF ingredients – instead of 3/4 c of cocoa I used 1/2 c double dutched dark cocoa and 1/4 c black cocoa. Fabulous!

I am a big fan of KAF, I have bought many items from the catalog and love the specialty things that I can’t get elsewhere. And if you ever stop selling your white whole wheat I will be in serious trouble because it is my go-to everyday flour for almost everything (including chocolate chip cookies, banana bread & pancakes. The family doesn’t know they’re eating more healthfully. They just love it.)

So forgive my being skeptical about all purpose. It was great to find out that I was wrong! Thanks for a great product!

Bridgid, I’m SO glad your skepticism has been dashed – we love it each time a baker discovers for herself that there IS a difference, it’s not just marketing hype. We buy the best wheat, have the tightest milling specs in the industry, and we stick by them assiduously; the other guys don’t. Simple as that. In this case, at least, you get what you pay for. I always say, who among us can afford the best car in the world, or the biggest diamond? But the best bag of flour? A lot more attainable. I’ve loved KA since I was in college, and am happy I ended up working here so I could see from inside that the good flour is backed up by a good business owned by a whole bunch of good people – us, 167 of us at the moment! So, thanks for sharing here – I’ve forwarded your comment to our sales team, so they can show it to the supermarket folks they sell to. The customers speak – supermarket buyers listen. And you’ve spoken beautifully here – thank you! And glad those wafer cookies came out – black cocoa is cool, huh? PJH

72. Joseph

I just mixed up the ingredients and the dough is on the rise. Can’t wait to slice into a loaf of this wonderful looking bread.

It’s bread like this that makes me wish I had a brick oven in the back yard!

73. LB

Thank you for suggesting I call your hot line concerning why my wet dough bread sometimes was becoming alcohol-y, not yeasty, in the refrigerator after just 2 or 3 days. Frank put out the idea of wild yeasts in our kitchen. Normally a nice contribution to bread, but in our particular case, not. Our house has a mold problem that has not been resolved. We are running HEPA air filters in the meantime which are wonderful, but evidently not getting rid of enough airborne bad guys on certain days (perhaps after a rainy spell). His suggestion was to stick to conventional breadmaking, with its shorter rise prior to baking, rather than refrigerated wet doughs until our mold is eliminated.

So, this is a heads up! We know the mold is very bad for our own health, but I never thought about it affecting our bread! Of course.

(I still love your idea of the shower caps – at the dollar store! – and look fwd to getting a nice supply!)

74. Patti

I made this today and it looks like it has risen properly but I just realized that I forgot the salt!!!! Is this going to be a problem for this bread??? I am getting ready to bake a portion of it, I am very upset with myself that I forgot the salt can anyone tell me what problems this may cause.

No problem, Patti – it’ll just taste “flat.” Tuscan bread is made without salt because they serve it with salty cured meats and cheeses; just be sure to serve with salted butter, or something aggressively flavorful, to hide the fact the bread has no salt… PJH

75. Renaissance Mom

hub and I used to bake bread all the time, BK (before kids). I’ve made this twice, but the loaves are flatter than we’d like. Terrific ciabatti, but not so great for taller loaves for PB&Js.

Made it once with wh wh flour, added a bit of water (maybe 2T). Tasty, easy to handle, but still short.

Is height of finished loaf related to water content? You might want to try baking it in a 2 1/2quart covered casserole dish. That will help contain the spread and give you a higher rise, better for those pb and J’s. Mary @ KAF

76. Halley

I just pulled my first loaf out of the oven, and it is delicious. I was too lazy to slash the bread, and neglected to add the steam, and it still was a fantastic loaf of bread. So so simple. Thank you, PJ! I can’t wait to make another with the dough that’s waiting in my fridge…

HA!!! Pie crust, artisan bread – what worlds will you conquer next?! PJH

77. Renaissance Mom

We have made two half-batches batches so far, because I don’t have room for a humongous bucket in my fridge.

The first was exactly to the letter of the recipe, using weights instead of cups. It made fantastic ciabatti and a big baguette.

Second batch I used 1 cup of whole wheat and the balance of flour (to one pound).

But hub likes a taller loaf. Any advice for getting it taller instead of so spread out? Is it too wet?

great recipe to play with–I love kneading and used to bake a lot BK (before kids) but don’t have bandwidth for the mess or the planning it requires. This recipe seemed perfect. But we need bread for sandwiches and can’t use milk in baking. any ideas?

Hi – Adding whole wheat will always results in a shorter, flatter loaf. And yes, a dough that’s gone a bit too far towards the slack (wet) end will result in a flatter loaf, too. If you strike just that right balance, you’ll get a nice, round, high-rising loaf; try adding 1/4 cup less water next time, OK? See if that does the trick. Good luck – PJH

78. Homa

Can I bake at a lower temp? My parchment paper box says that I can’t go over 420 degrees.

Bake at just below 420°F, Homa. Should be fine. PJH

79. Sharon

I gave up on making bread, they were all terrible. I looked at the King Arthur site to see what recipes they had and found an easy bread recipe made in the food processer. Winner! First time I ever made a decent loaf of bread. When I saw this recipe I had to try it, AND LET ME TELL YOU, IT WORKS PERFECTLY!!. My bread looks just like the picture, I was elated. I couldn’t believe I made that bread. I was so excited that I had to send pictures of the loaves to friends via my cell. I would only add that maybe it could use a little bit more salt. Although the inside is soft and the outside is just crunchy enough, it is a little tasteless. But that all goes away when I dip it into my pasta sauce, or make toast with butter, and life is good again. I can’t thank you enough for this recipe. I trust the King Arthur company wholeheartedly with their recipes and fine quality products. I look forward to new recipes in the future. THANK YOU, THANK YOU, I’m now the envy of my group of friends!!!!

Sharon, thanks so much for sharing your enthusiasm with us – and your bread success with your friends! Feel free to increase the salt by 1/2 teaspoon – some people prefer saltier loaves, some fairly unsalted, so I usually go right down the middle… PJH

80. Jana

I’m so excited to try this! This will be my first yeast bread experience. I have two questions. First, I was unclear on how many loaves I can make from this recipe. Second, what are the risk of causing damage to my oven? If I use a pan of hot water should I be OK? Thank you so much!

You’ll make 3 or 4 smallish loaves, Jana; depending on what size chunk of dough you scoop out. And a pan heating in the oven, with hot water poured into it, should be just fine. Follow the directions – I’m sure you’ll have a great experience and end up with wonderful bread. Good luck – PJH

81. Jim MacMahon

I’ve followed the recipe as exactly as possible, but the crumb is coming out slightly dense and uniform without those large holes you show in the photos. Would a longer rise just before baking make it lighter and more open? Or, is my humid environment (Florida) causing it?

Tough to say, Jim; yeast has a mind of its own. A longer rise might help; and make sure your oven is as hot as it says, and that you don’t neglect to add the hot water in the pan on the lower rack. Also, you could try spritzing the loaf with water just before putting it into the oven. I seem to get bigger holes the longer I let the dough rest in the fridge – try baking it after 5 or 6 or 7 days in the fridge, see what happens. Good luck – PJH

82. Jodie

Wow! This turned out great…baked and shared with friends. Now everybody wants more of this delicious bread. Can this recipe be doubled or is there a limit before it doesn’t work any more?

Sure, Jodie, go to town. Just make sure you have enough storage space and enough rising room… PJH

83. Cheryl C

I have made the dough for this artisan bread and can’t wait to actually bake it. It seems that you do not need to preheat the stone at 500
    for one hour. I was just wondering why?

Just because I think 500°F for an hour is overkill and a waste of energy, Cheryl. I get fine results using the preheat method as written – but of course, feel free to heat the stone longer and hotter, if you like. It should be able to take it just fine. PJH

84. Van

Great idea! I gonna try it this weekend.
    I haven’t got any luck on bread yet, always not rise enough and hard as stone (my husband said it can kill a bird if we throw at them…). Wish me luck this time. =)

Good luck, Van – you can do this! :) PJH

85. c stones

I have tried making bread (both wheat and white) and never felt I had done well. I have both books by Jeff and Zoe. I can say now I do a wonderful bread in both. It is so easy. Thank you so much for these receipes.

86. Anne Green

For Homa – I always use parchment paper for baking and start most of my breads at 500 degrees. The parchment paper gets a little brown around the edges but it doesn’t burn.

I love KAF and wish I could bake for a living. Sadly, I am only a weekend baker; however, we have not purchased bread for years because of my weekend bread baking. I’m not sure I could eat store-bought bread anymore! Thanks for all the great recipes and I will definitely be stirring this one up tonight.

Incidentally, I made your favorite fruitcake last weekend and it was delicious. I substituted my favorite dried fruits (dried blueberries, cherries, apricots and cranberries), left out the candied cherries and included dates. I don’t like regular fruitcake but this was superior.

Thanks for letting us know about your fruitcake, Anne – and your bread – and thanks for sharing that pachment hint. I’ve set parchment on fire – but only by putting it (inadvertently) over the gas flame on our stovetop. Whoooooopssss….. PJH

87. R Hart

What if I add a small amount of my sourdough starter?

Absolutely – go for it. Assume your starter is half water/half flour by weight, and substitute accordingly (i.e., 1 cup starter = 4 ounces flour and 4 ounces water). PJH

88. Rena

I love how simple this recipe is. Have made it several times since you posted it. Do you think it could work with whole wheat flour? Thanks.

Wouldn’t be the same, Rena. I fear it would be dense and flat. I’m in the process of testing recipes from the new “5 Minutes a Day” book, featuring whole grains. Stay tuned… PJH

89. Valerie

OK, I’ve bought the covered dough bucket; the dough stirrer-upper stick; the SAF yeast with the cool storage container and measuring spoon…and a pizza stone – and have just mixed up my very first batch of dough. Um…but I just HAD to get creative and used AP flour (5 cups) and some oat flour (2 1/2 cups) – I noticed the dough was dry, so I added an extra teaspoon of water. Everything else I left the same as the instructions. So, what havoc will I go through because of my walk on the wild side use of oat flour?? :) It’s rising very nicely in its new bucket…
    I LOVE KAF website and the fact that most commenters here get a personal reply! I, too, wish I could bake all the time, but that’s one reason I love the holiday season! (Too cold to ride my horse, so I can stay in and bake Christmas gifts for my friends and neighbors!)

Happy Holidays to everyone!

Valerie
    Greenville, SC

And happy holidays to you, Valerie. I expect your bread won’t rise as high (it’ll spread sideways rather than rise), nor have as crisp a crust, but it should be very moist inside, and quite tasty. Let us know what happens, OK? PJH

90. Ann

I’ve made 3 batches of this recipe with part whole wheat and it does NOT get dense or flat. The crumb stays even throughout the loaf, and while it doesn’t have the airiness and big bubbles of the all-white loaf, my kids and our au pair (who has only eaten square white bread from a plastic bag in the 1.5 years she’s been with us) all love it. Seriously, this is the first bread with a whole grain that has passed her lips. That’s an endorsement.

I use one heaping cup of whole wheat and then the balance is white flour (I use a scale). thanks!

91. Jackie

I can’t make this bread fast enough to suit my husband. He has absolutely fallen in love with it. Phenomenal for French toast, too.

92. Shawn

I tried this a couple weeks ago, with 2 cups KA White WWheat. Baked it after about 4 days. It came out flavorful, but no big holes in it.

I just mixed up another batch, by weight, and with 2 lb flour and 24 oz (by weight) water it was a dry crumbly mass, took another cup and a half at least to get a dough that resembled the picture. Maybe the scale is off (or the guy running it), we’ll see next weekend when I try to bake this stuff.

It’s always a balancing act, Shawn. If you used whole wheat, that absorbs water more slowly. Mix it up, then let it sit for 20 minutes, then mix again to see the “real” consistency before adjusting with more liquid. Also, this time of the year (winter), flour can be quite dry, and will absorb more liquid. Should be interesting watching it progress in the fridge. PJH

93. Suzanne

Have been baking this bread since the Jeff’s book came out. A loaf would quickly be divested of all the crust as we would cut each end then the sides and then the top. Yum. We now make all our loaves about the size of a large hard roll. We call them “personal loaves” and we get to eat tons of crust!