100% whole wheat waffles? 100% delicious!

What exactly is it that makes a waffle so gosh-darned good?

Is it the slightly deep-fried flavor, from batter coming into direct contact with the hot iron?

Perhaps the contrast of crisp crust with soft, moist interior?

Or maybe just the way waffles speak to us of happy times. Childhood. Family.

IHOP. Hey, whatever floats your breakfast boat, right?

Yet, with all their happy associations, how many of us make waffles with any regularity?

Raise your hands, please –

See what I mean? If you said, “Sure, I make waffles at least twice a month,” I’d venture to guess you’re in the minority.

March. It’s come in like a lion, and stayed that way – at least here in New England. The winter of 2011 will be one to remember – or try to forget!

Which means it’s time to reach up to the top cupboard shelf, grab that waffle iron, and put it to work.

Making whole wheat waffles.

WHOLE WHEAT waffles?! Won’t they be, like, gritty and dark and bitter?

Perish the thought. Good-quality whole wheat flour – flour that’s been carefully milled, then moved quickly through the distribution system – is perfectly tasty. And if your family is truly afraid of whole wheat, choose white whole wheat: it’s lighter-colored and milder-tasting than regular (red) whole wheat.

The following recipe is one of the most-viewed on our site. Not only that, readers rate it one of our top 50 recipes. Can so many of your fellow breakfast cooks be wrong?

It’s time to put aside your reservations, and give these whole wheat waffles a try.

First, preheat your waffle iron while you make the batter.

Whisk together the following:

1 1/2 cups King Arthur 100% White Whole Wheat Flour or Premium Whole Wheat Flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons sugar

Yes, that’s whole wheat flour you see. Pretty light, eh?

In a separate bowl, whisk together the following:

1 large egg
1 1/2 cups lukewarm milk
1/3 cup melted butter or vegetable oil

Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients.

Stir until well blended.

The batter will be a bit lumpy; that’s OK

Pour batter onto your heated (and greased, if necessary) waffle iron.

Use enough to cover the entire surface – though barely.

Whoops, guess I used a little too much batter for this one!

Cook the waffles for the amount of time indicated in the instructions that came with your waffle iron.

Using this iron, the waffles took about 6 minutes.

Remove golden brown waffles from the iron…

…and you know what to do next.

I highly recommend assertive Grade B maple syrup, which I’m using here.

Whole wheat? You’d never know it!

Read, rate, and review (please) our recipe for Whole Wheat Waffles.

comments

1. "Paul from Ohio"

We made our current “favorite” waffle recipe last night (from another recipe source – sorry KAF), but alas they are 5 points for each square (we have a flip over waffle maker) and I’m betting that these Whole Wheat Waffles will be a bit lower in WW’s ‘points’, especially if we use vegetable oil……..will definitely give these a ‘taste test’, like next week!!!!!!!!! Thanks, waffles are always a favorite – and perhaps you’re right they “speak to us of happier times”. They do. Spring is surely coming, right?
    We are keeping our fingers crossed to see spring arrive soon! ~Amy

2. miller0814

Perfect timing! It’s snowing in North Carolina today and it’s almost 30 degrees below our usual average temperature for this time of year. I think I’ll make these waffles for lunch today for a little comforting pick-me-up.

3. Bridgid

I just need to say that I use the white whole wheat for my pancakes & chocolate chip cookies & banana bread and no one ever knows that they are eating whole wheat! I will be making these waffles this weekend. Thanks!! Maybe I’ll make a cherry almond compote for on top. Maybe I’ll add some chocolate chips to that compote. Oh, KAF, you’ve got me thinking again!!
    We are always happy to inspire! ~Amy

4. maasx3

This will be my next waffle stick go too. My son wants waffle sticks at least once a week sometimes two. Thanks for developing one with whole wheat.

5. milkwithknives

You’re right, I love waffles but never think to make them! Once in awhile for dinner, but that’s about it. I did try the cornmeal rye waffles from your whole grain book recently and OH MY GOSH, those are absolutely the best waffles I’ve ever had. Something about the crunch of the coarse cornmeal and the unusual flavors just blew my mind. But these whole wheaters look awfully good, too, and I didn’t cook anything for this week’s dinners….

Oh, also, after owning and using my little waffle iron for at least ten years, I still misjudge the batter amount and get tentacles half the time. (head shaking)

6. Sharon

Is there any reason that coconut milk or another “non” dairy would not work? Guess I’ll try it and let you know!

Soy, Rice or Almond milk work just fine. We have not tried coconut milk. We’d love to hear your results. Frank @ KAF.

7. elmbergs

Oh PJ – your timing is wonderful! It’s maple syrup time here in northern Wisconsin!

Hooray! Doesn’t’ that sap smell sweet and good… Glad we could help- PJH

8. ebenezer94

I made waffles for Christmas breakfast (sourdough whole wheat from the whole wheat baking book–they were delicious) but not since. You’ve inspired me to try for twice in the same year. ;) My mother recently received a gift of one of those newfangled waffle irons that you flip over part way through, and maybe I can convince her to loan it to me. (Though it’s not really that newfangled a concept. I have an antique cast iron waffle iron that’s meant to be used on a wood cook stove that uses that flip method.)

And thanks, milkwithknives, for the recommendation of the cornmeal/rye waffles in the whole grain baking book. I recently bought some rye flour so I could explore some of the rye recipes in the book, and I’ll have to add that one to my list.

“There’s nothing new under the sun…” Including waffle irons, I guess! Have fun with the rye recipe- PJH

9. mandi54

These are so yummy! I’ve made them twice, once at the request of my non-waffle eating hubby for his birthday breakfast. That’s how good they are! And easy, no boxed mix for me again!

In an effort to reduce my hip size, I’ve experimented with cutting the fat, by replacing 1/2 of the required amount with apple sauce, but they just ended up sticking to the (non-stick) waffle iron. Any suggestions for reducing the fat to bump up the health factor, as these are so delicious, I’d like to make them on more than just special occasions.

10. The Café Sucré Farine

Wow, these look fantastic – How exciting to find a waffle recipe using whole wheat flour that has such great reviews! We love waffles but don’t eat them on a regular basis because they’re usually just not that healthy. Thanks, can’t wait to try these!!

11. jkls22

Love these waffles almost as much as the cannister KAF chocolate whole grain pancake mix that could be converted into waffles. They were my boys all time favorite with fresh fruit or yogurt. Any thought of bringing that mix back or posting a recipe?

Sorry, no thought of bringing them back – but there’s a recipe for chocolate whole-grain waffles in our Whole Grain Baking book…. PJH

12. debdevo

I made these yesterday morning and couldn’t believe how quickly they went together. I did use OJ in the batter and also a little yoghurt. They are definitely not as crispy ourside as your overnight waffles (which we LOVE), but they tasted AWESOME and I am glad to get some whole grain in whenever I can. My husband enthusiastically asked that these be put into our waffle rotation.

13. margie11112

Just made them with buttermilk replacing milk. Added some chopped nuts as well. They were amazing. My husband says they are the best he ever tasted. Crispy and light. I did add some warm water to thin the batter a bit. I have a traditional (not Belgian) waffle maker. Instructions said to make the batter and let it sit for five minutes before baking. Thanks for such a wonderful recipe!

Glad you and your husband enjoyed them, Margie – love the addition of some nuts, and the buttermilk! PJH

14. lindadv

I love this recipe! I have used buttermilk, all milk and half milk half buttermilk and today I used half milk and half whey from my homemade yogurt. They all work great! Next I want to try a bread recipe with whey.
    Thank you for sharing all of your variations with us. ~Amy

15. "John VN"

Great waffle with whole wheat flour. I used the white whole wheat in the past in fear that the winter red wheat would be bitter. I used buttermilk that was getting close to use by date instead of the milk. I also added a teaspoon of Penzey’s Baking Spice for an added zing.

How do you like that baking spice (cinnamon, mace, anise, and cardamom)? What a good idea, putting it in these waffles… Thanks for sharing. PJH

16. "John VN"

I have used Penzey’s spices for years now for most of my spice needs. They are always high quality and their mixes are very good. I started using the Baking spice in Banana bread, cake, and pancakes. I have many banana plants in my yard and have to find things to do with bananas. the cardamom brings a different taste to the party. My grandson loved the whole wheat waffles I made with bananas and Baking spice. JVN

17. Michellea Halees

AHHHH! SO GOOD!
    You couldn’t even tell they were wheat! My friend made them for me one time I came over for breakfast. I told her I NEEDED the recipe. When she gave it to me I discovered she used wheat! I hate wheat anything with all my heart, but this? This was very good! Use 100% pure maple syrup, drink some orange juice, and wala! It’s the best tasting thing ever! This is totally going in my recipe box! <3
    Add one teaspoon of Vanilla though. Yum!

Michellea, why did I never think to add vanilla to waffles? Great tip! Thanks for sharing – PJH

18. Callie koplt

wonder what the cal. is on these

Sorry, Callie – while providing complete nutritional info. for each recipe on the site is a goal, it’s one we haven’t yet achieved… PJH

19. brookove

We love these waffles! I keep the dry ingredients mixed in freezer bags in my freezer (to keep them fresh longer in this El Paso summer heat) for a quick breakfast. From start to finish, I can have the first waffle on the table in five minutes. Thanks for another great recipe!

20. Ashley

One word…AMAZING!!!! These are the best waffles I have ever eaten!!!! I made them for my husband and little son and they thought they were incredible!!!!! I’ve made them twice, and bothtimes I put maple syrup a little powered sugar sliced apples, banana, and blueberries!! They fresh fruit gives an amazing flavor and added nutrition. Also the second time I added cinnamon and pumkin pie spice for added holiday flavor! Thank you!!!!!

21. Clavin

Should this batter rest at all? I rest the whole grain pancake mix about 15 min per your cookbook instructions.

Let it rest if you like; it won’t hurt, but isn’t necessary. Enjoy – PJH

22. Yari

Does the Grade B maple syrup have too much sugar? Im on a strict diet, i wonder if the sugar will affect it? Please send me your response to ysuarez@live.com. Thank you, I will make the waffles they look delicious, How many servings should you have when on a diet?

Sorry, Yari, we’re not health professionals and don’t offer diet/nutrition advice here. Please speak to your doctor about any concerns you have with the sugar in pure maple syrup, OK? PJH

23. Dave

Great recipe. Doubled the batch this morning and added toasted walnuts and fresh blueberries, yum. I prefer the grade B syrup most of the time anyway. Dakon Farms in Burlington vt makes an excellent B amber that we get friends to send down to NC for us.
    It is great to have a source for the good stuff, isn’t it? Nothin’ says love like real VT maple syrup. :) ~ MaryJane

24. "Denise at Shadylane"

I made these waffles last Sunday but they were very limp. I used light brown sugar, buttermilk, and added a teaspoon each of vanilla and vanilla bean paste. They didn’t rise so I replaced my Bakewell Cream baking powder and tried again today. The rise was better but they are still limp. Any ideas on what I’m doing to an otherwise absolutely delicious recipe?
    I’m wondering if your waffle iron isn’t cooking hot enough. You may want to try increasing the temperature to get the waffles to crisp up. ~ MaryJane

25. lilLacey

I used this recipe as a guide for my waffles yesterday, however; I altered it somewhat. I used plain Greek Yogurt instead of oil/butter and replaced the luke warm milk with coconut milk, my waffles turned out amazing!
    I’m wondering what the results would be if I tried almond flour?

You could certainly add 1/3rd of a cup of almond flour to the recipe without a problem!-Jon

26. Wiley

Here is my slightly altered version of an excellent recipe.

1 cup white whole wheat flour
    1 cup whole oat flour
    1/2 cup rolled oats
    3/4 tsp salt
    2 tsp baking powder
    1 tsp baking soda
    1 stick of butter
    2 cups of buttermilk
    2 large eggs

Combine all dry ingredients and mix. Melt butter. Add buttermilk to the butter and heat a bit. Add eggs to the butter and buttermilk and mix well. Add the wet to the dry and combine but not beat.

I like the idea of oat flour (and a slightly larger recipe, to boot!). Thank you for sharing with us! Kim@KAF

Buttermilk will work fine and you shouldn’t have to alter this recipe when using it. Happy baking! Jon@KAF

27. Marianne

Is there a way to convert this recipe to a “dry mix recipe”? I’d like to have a mix to add the milk and egg to whip up in a hurry.

Hi Marianne-
      You certainly could pre-scale all the dry ingredients together in a bag or a bowl and have them ready to go for you whenever you need. Happy (quick-as-a-whistle) Baking! Jocelyn@KAF

28. Becki Winckler

Just wondering what temp your knob dial is set to on this maker. It looks similar to our Waring Pro and while I follow this recipe to a T, I can’t get them to be crispy without burning them. Advice?

1. MaryJane Robbins

HI Becki,
      We usually cook the waffles on the higher side, it’s a 4 or 5 on my maker at home. Hope this helps. ~ MJ

29. Janell

Since I was making enough waffles for ten people, I quadrupled the recipe (and used two double belgian waffle makers). These were perfect even when I substituted 6 cups water and 1/3 cup yogurt for the milk and added 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract.

Thank you for this recipe.