Q. What’s our most popular recipe? A. You won’t believe it…

With all the recipes here at kingarthurflour.com for decadent chocolate goodies, crusty artisan breads, delicious pies, and tender-tasty cakes, it’s a recipe for humble whole wheat bread that gets the most clicks.

And it makes sense when you think about it. Many people want to eat healthy. There are a lot of bread bakers out there. And King Arthur whole wheat flour is the top-selling whole wheat flour in America.

So it stands to reason we’d have a recipe for the best 100% whole wheat sandwich bread you’ve ever tasted.

That’s right – 100% WHOLE WHEAT sandwich bread. No white flour at all.

Yet it’s moist, close-grained, slices like a dream… And, oh yeah, let’s not forget the taste: slightly nutty, rich, barely sweet.

This is the perfect whole-grain sandwich and toasting bread. And YOU can make it at home. Honest!

What’s the secret to great whole wheat bread? First, the flour. Yeah, as an employee-owner at King Arthur Flour, I’m patting myself on the back here; but we do buy and mill the BEST wheat in America. If you missed this video of the Kansas farms and farm families we work with from an earlier blog, take a look:

When you start with great flour, the rest falls into place easily. Yeast, water, salt, a sweetener; milk, for texture and nutrition; oil, to keep the bread fresh. And that’s all it takes to successfully make whole wheat sandwich (and toasting) bread.

Those ingredients, plus one more: this recipe for Classic 100% Whole Wheat Bread, vetted and enthusiastically approved by your fellow bakers. (Don’t just take my word for it; check the 5-star reviews!)

Put the following in a mixing bowl:

1 to 1 1/4 cups lukewarm water*
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup honey, molasses, or maple syrup
3 1/2 cups King Arthur Premium 100% Whole Wheat Flour
2 1/2 teaspoons instant yeast, or 1 packet active dry yeast dissolved in 2 tablespoons of the water in the recipe
1/4 cup Baker’s Special Dry Milk or nonfat dried milk
1 1/4 teaspoons salt

*Use the greater amount in winter or in a dry climate; the lesser amount in summer or a humid climate.

Combine all of the ingredients and mix till the dough starts to leave the sides of the bowl.

Knead the dough for 6 to 8 minutes, or until it begins to become smooth and supple. It should be soft, yet still firm enough to knead. Adjust its consistency with additional water or flour, if necessary.

It was rainy and humid the day I made the bread for this blog; and the dough was kind of sticky.

So I stopped the mixer midway through the 7-minute knead I was giving it, and scraped the sticky dough into the center of the bowl.

Like this.

After kneading for a few more minutes, it was less sticky… though still quite soft.

That’s OK. You know why? Up to a certain point, the stickier/softer your dough, the higher it’ll rise. Resist the urge to keep adding flour to sticky dough; in the long run, you do yourself a favor by simply putting up with a certain amount of stickiness.

How sticky is TOO sticky? If you shape the dough into a log and it slowly starts to flatten into a pancake, that’s too sticky. It can relax a bit, like someone settling into a chair; but it shouldn’t flatten out.

Transfer the dough to a lightly greased bowl or large measuring cup, and cover the container.

Allow the dough to rise till very puffy – about 1 to 2 hours, depending on the warmth of your kitchen.

Transfer the dough to a lightly oiled work surface, and shape it into an 8” log. Place the log in a lightly greased 8 1/2” x 4 1/2” loaf pan, and cover the pan loosely with lightly greased plastic wrap. Or a handy-dandy shower cap from the dollar store, as I’ve done here.

Allow the bread to rise for about 1 to 2 hours, or till the center has crowned about 1” above the rim of the pan. WOW – that’s quite a nice rise for whole wheat bread, isn’t it?

Towards the end of the rising time, preheat the oven to 350°F.

Bake the bread for 20 minutes…

…and check to see how brown it is. If it’s nearly as brown as you like…

…tent it lightly with aluminum foil. Continue to bake for 15 to 20 minutes, then remove it from the oven.

The finished loaf will register 190°F on an instant-read thermometer inserted into the center.

Turn the loaf out of the pan, and rub a stick of butter over the crust, if desired.

The butter will soak in, yielding a soft, flavorful crust, and a beautiful, satiny finish.

Slice when completely cool. Store the bread in a plastic bag at room temperature.

Accept your family’s compliments on the best whole wheat sandwich bread you’ve ever made.

And what if your family doesn’t like even this soft, moist, close-grained whole wheat loaf?

wwbread

Try substituting 1 1/2 cups (6 1/4 ounces) King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour for 1 1/2 cups of the whole wheat. The bread will be just slightly lighter-colored; firmer/easier to slice; and less “wheaty” tasting.

DSC_5001

Perfect for a PB&J!

And here’s one more hint, for those of you who turn up your nose at whole wheat’s “wheaty” flavor: try substituting 1/4 cup orange juice for 1/4 cup of the water in this recipe. The OJ tempers the wheat’s assertive taste, without adding any orange flavor of its own.

Read, rate, and review (please) our recipe for Classic 100% Whole Wheat Sandwich Bread.

comments

1. Mouse

I have a question as a relatively novice bread baker… What does one do with sticky dough like you show in your photos when you don’t have a mixer and have to knead by hand? I usually add more flour but I notice that my bread is not as soft and fluffy as the loaf made by my SIL who uses a breadmaker to knead the same recipe.

Bread machines do knead bread beautifully, it’s true – better than we can do by hand. But, since hands are what we’ve all got – I’d suggest you let the dough sit for 20 to 25 minutes before you start to knead; this gives the flour a chance to absorb the liquid. Then, knead on an oiled surface, rather than floured, if you can. The more flour you knead into your dough, the drier and shorter your loaf will be. I use a silicone rolling mat, sprayed with non-stick vegetable oil spray. Use a dough scraper to move the dough when it sticks. And keep your hands well-oiled, too. Hope this helps – PJH

2. Kristen

What a beautiful loaf of bread! There are few things more satisfying that bringing a successfully baked loaf of bread out of the oven. (I say successfully baked because I have made my share of 1″ tall bricks!)

This recipe is very cooperative and reliable, Kristen. And I agree about pulling a perfect loaf out of the oven. Ahhh….. :) PJH

3. Cris

How long would I need t knead this one loaf? Approximately?

Cris, by hand, about 10 minutes. By stand mixer, about 7 minutes, medium speed. PJH

4. Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction

This is one of my favorite recipes! I have made this bread as written and have also adapted it various times… and it always turns out beautifully! Thanks so much for a wonderful go-to bread recipe!

I’m thinking I need to add cinnamon and raisins sometime – have you tried that, Jen? PJH

5. Donna

This bread is great. I made it quite a few times last winter. I had problems making bread in the past ,but each time I made this recipe it was wonderful. It has a great taste and slices beautifully.

I’m looking forward to the cool weather to start baking again.

I’m with you, Donna. I think this has been the hottest summer I ever remember… Of course, as soon as the snow flies we’ll be missing it! But at least the oven will be lit again, right? :) PJH

6. Wendy

How does this one differ from the 100% whole wheat sandwich bread (the one with the orange juice)? I’ve made that one before and I loved it.

The sandwich bread recipe you cite is a guaranteed recipe, that includes orange juice (this tempers the taste of the whole wheat), milk, potato, and butter. You must love it because it is a moist, easy to slice wheat bread that can make great sandwiches, toast or all things yeast bread slices. This recipe features fewer ingredients and still great results! Irene @ KAF

7. Wei-Wei

I’ve never seen that butter trick before! It makes the bread look so yummy. Nom nom nom. I like eating whole wheat bread more than white, because white makes me hungry really fast… So this is a GREAT recipe to have on hand! I don’t have a stand mixer, though, so I guess I would just knead by hand?

Wei-Wei

Kneading by hand is terrific for this recipe! Knead on an oiled surface rather than floured. If the dough is troublesome let it rest 20 – 25 minutes to let the whole wheat soften. Irene @ KAF

8. Blakeley (Cupcake Princess)

I made the KAF guarenteed 100% whole wheat bread a week or so ago and It didn’t turn out very good. Can’t wait to try this recipe and see how it goes!

We hope that once you try this recipe using the step by step pictures and recipe dialogue that you will have success. We’re here to help at our Baker’s Hotline (802-649-3717) if you need more assistance. Irene @ KAF

9. Shannon

I have made this recipe several time with mixed results. For this bread do you recommend kneading in the mixer/by hand over using the dough cycle on the breach machine? A few of the times my dough was way to sticky and I am not sure if re-scooping it in the middle of the bowl would make a difference. Any other suggestions? When I do get it right, it is delicious!

At different times of the year (like, now), the dough is liable to be more sticky than it would when it’s cooler and drier out. Ease back on the liquid by a couple of tablespoons; that should help. And oddly enough, I’ve found that kneading this particular dough in the bread machine seems to make it rise TOO much; I prefer kneading in my stand mixer. Hope this helps – PJH

10. Jules

This may be a “duh” question, but can I substitute white whole wheat flour?

White Whole Wheat Flour will give similar results, with a lighter color to your loaf of bread. Happy Baking! Irene @ KAF

11. JimInHolland

Can I substitute real milk for the powdered? I live in The Netherlands and I can’t say I’ve ever seen the stuff here..
    Use liquid milk for part of the water in the recipe (1/4 C.). Be sure to heat, then cool, the milk first to deactivate protease – the enzyme yeast isn’t so friendly with! Irene @ KAF

12. Lish

I make this bread all the time, and I love it. I have often added things like cinnamon and raisins, sometimes dried blueberries and candied lemon peel for breakfast toast. I have even done cheese and garlic at times. Sometimes I use some multigrain flour in place of some of the whole wheat and it always comes out great, except for that time I forgot the yeast . . .

Forget the yeast once, and you’ll never do it again! What a hard way to learn that leavening lesson! Irene @ KAF

13. Aaron Frank

Hi,

Which KAF whole wheat do you use? White, red, or organic white? Do they make a difference in the rise?

I made a 100% whole wheat bread from “Artisan Bread Baking” and it’s a little too dense for my family. I want something a little lighter and with a higher rise.

Thanks,

Aaron

King Arthur Premium 100% Whole Wheat Flour (item 3015) is used in this recipe. To meet your family preferences, you might consider adding a combination of some White Whole Wheat Flour with the Whole Wheat Flour called for in the recipe to meet their nutritional and taste needs. Irene @ KAF

14. Jodie

What’s the main differences in taste between the classic 100% whole wheat recipe and the KAF Guaranteed 100% whole wheat recipe? I had trouble making the classic bread my first time around but was successful in making the guaranteed bread, but I’m certainly interested in trying the classic recipe again.

Basically, Jodie, the Classic is simpler, ingredients-wise. No OJ, no potato. And the Classic is a bit sweeter, which may be where you had trouble; sweeter doughs rise more slowly. I’d try it again, following the blog photos, and hopefully it’ll work well for you, as it has for so many people… As I say, this is THE most clicked-on recipe we have, and it has a huge number of 5-star reviews, so I’m confident it works well. Sometimes (who knows why) a recipe just doesn’t work at one particular time for one particular baker; call it a fluke. Hope you try this again- PJH

15. Sue

Do you think this recipe is bread machine friendly?

Sue, make the dough in your machine, but bake in the oven; this doesn’t translate well to baking in the machine (at least when I tried it…) PJH

16. Joni M

This bread looks fabulous–but since I never have regular KA whole wheat flour but rather KA white whole wheat, does it come out the same if you use white whole wheat?

Yes, it comes out really well with the white whole wheat, Joni – that’s my favorite whole wheat, too. :) PJH

17. Suzy

This is our favorite recipe! I make the dough in my bread machine and bake it in the oven. It comes out perfect every time and makes the best sandwiches. We make a loaf almost every week.

18. SMJ

Can this loaf be done in a bread machine? You Pecan Wheat Bread is a regular at my house. I have trained my husband how to make it in our bread machine. He does not cook/ bake at all and he has mastered it! It would be nice to have another recipe for him.

I tried it in the bread machine – it came out fairly dense. You could certainly make the dough in your machine, and bake in a regular oven. But to bake in the machine, you might try a recipe specifically designed for baking in the bread machine – like our Multi-Grain Brown Bread. Enjoy -

19. Beth @ 990 Square

I’ve adapted your bread machine version of this recipe to fit in the mini Zo and it’s my go to bread. I normally use half white whole wheat and half 100 percent whole wheat flour. I make at least two loaves a week…my husband loves that we have fresh bread in our lunchboxes everyday!

Yes, fresh bread does make the best sandwiches, doesn’t it? Plus, you know it’s not full of artificial ingredients and preservatives. Keep up the great work, Beth! PJH

20. Barbara L

My daughter is vegan and I must find recipes that have no milk, butter, honey in them. The maple syrup or molassas is fine in this recipe, but I need to do something about the milk powder. Any chance? If I could use a non-dairy substitute in this recipe, many other recipes would also become possible–I think.

I have used another KAF 100% whole wheat recipe for years, but this looks less dense, and quite lovely.

Barbara, you can leave out the milk powder; the bread won’t be quite as tender, but should be fine. You could also try subbing 1/2 cup soy or almond milk for 1/2 cup of the water, see how you like it… PJH

1. brother's keeper

I made it without the milk accidentally, and the bread was super tender. I used olive oil as my oil. Trying the coconut this time!

21. Bob

Could this recipe be made into simple sandwich rolls? How would you adjust the baking temperature and time? Many thanks – great recipe and fantastic web site.

Not sure, Bob – I haven’t tried it. It should work – say, 12 rolls, bake at 350°F for around 25 minutes – but no guarantees… Speaking of guarantees, you might like our guaranteed Honey Wheat Rolls. Enjoy – PJH

22. Angela

I think you guys read my mind! Just yesterday I was thinking that I needed to make a loaf of bread for some peanut butter sandwiches (ever have those cravings?). I will have to make this tonight, thanks!

Angela, this is PFPB! (Perfect for peanut butter…) Have any homemade jam? Fluff? :) PJH

23. Aaron Frank

Hi,

Would using a lower gluten flour also make this less dense? I’ve never seen a whole wheat cake flour but would substituting some whole wheat pastry flour make it a little lighter without affecting the rise?

Thanks,

Aaron

Aaron, with yeast breads, the more gluten, the higher the rise, the lighter the bread. Whole wheat pastry flour would produce a dense, doughy loaf. In my opinion, this loaf has the perfect texture: moist, close-grained, but not at all heavy or dense, perfect for sandwiches. Give the recipe as written a try – you might find you like it as much as I do! PJH

24. WannaBeBaker

I’ve never baked bread before, sorry if this seems a dumb question – I’ll be baking this for someone with hypertension, so, could you please tell me what will happen if I reduce the amount of salt to 1/2 tsp or less? Would it affect how the bread turns out? Thanks!Salt intensifies and enhances flavor; it is hygroscopic which means it attracts mositure; it strengths dough and tightens its structure, which increases the time needed to sufficiently develop the gluten, it slows fermentation as it helps to keep the yeast in check. So cutting the salt will make your dough feel flabbier, and will cause it to rise faster in a less controlled fashioned and the bread will have less flavor. have fun with it. Happy baking! Mary@ KAF

25. Erin R.

Yep, I took my turn at forgetting the yeast last year. That is indeed a lesson you only have to learn once. (head shaking)

Oddly enough, I have never tried this recipe. It is definitely next on my list. Would you say the maple flavor comes through when you use the syrup? I have a jug of Grade B in my fridge, but if I’m not going to be tasting it in the loaf then I’d better save it for something else as it is kind of expensive. The maple syrup provides subtle flavor and depth to the overall flavor but doesn’t shout “MAPLE”. Mary@ KAF

26. Bob Baldwin

I’ve made bread off and on many times through the years. My loaves never rise as much as in the picture. I always get flat, frustrating loaves.

Still, I can’t wait to try this recipe.

Bob, if you follow this recipe EXACTLY, and don’t substitute alternate ingredients, I think you’ll get the high-rising loaf you’re looking for. Good luck – PJH

27. Marsha

Can I use the diastatic malt powder in this bread; say 1/2 teaspoon?

Yes, absolutely, Marsha. 1/2 teaspoon would be just right. PJH

28. LindaDV

Sadly, I did have to learn the no yeast lesson twice last Thanksgiving. I had two bread machines going for dough and had all the ingredients measured out except for the yeast. of course I was in a hurry to get the next batch going. I opened the lid to the Zo and playdough! I googled “left out the yeast” and came up with just add the yeast and let it go around again. A bread baker uses this method routinely, at least I knew what to do when it happened again!

I am so envious of your perfectly symmetrical loaf! What shaping technique do you use?I believe PJ degass it and then just rolls it up. Mary@KAF

I actually fool around with the dough very little, Linda. I gently squeeze the air out, gently elongate to the length of the pan, then pull the ends and sides underneath, to create the surface tension that makes a nice, smooth top surface. No folding; no rolling. As a result, the bottom looks ugly, if you turn it over; all folded. But the top looks lovely! PJH

29. Melinda

My daughet has multiple food allergies and I must make all my baking vegan as a result. I saw from another post here that you can leave out the milk powder, but the loaf would be less tender. Would using powdered rice milk help get that tenderness back? Is there some vegan option that would help keep that tenderness? SO many recipes seem to call for powdered milk and it would be so nice to know what a good substitute would be.
    Looking forward to baking some bread!

Sorry, Melinda, I don’t have experience using powdered vegetables in place of milk. You could increase the vegetable oil by 1 tablespoon, lowering the amount of water by the same amount. Try that, and see how you like the bread – I think it’ll be fine… PJH

30. Sue E. Conrad

As with others, this is also MY go-to whole-wheat bread recipe. The fact that it makes just one loaf is a plus as I’m only cooking/baking for two (hubby and me). The other plus is that when we lived aboard our boat, I could still have delicious homemade – uhh, boatmade – bread. Now that we’re landlubbers once again, breadmaking will be even better!

Thanks for connecting here, Sue, as always. Are you ashore for good? PJH

31. Sandy Kay

I just made this bread and it’s wonderful – my goal is to bake a loaf each week! I used my bread machine to mix the dough and then baked it in the oven. It’s the first time I made whole wheat bread that rose up nicely and wasn’t dense and heavy!

YAY Sandy – Good for you! Glad we could help – PJH

32. KimberlyD

Boy I wish I lived close to you to go to one of your bread making classes. I only have made bread either by buying the fozen dough or in a bread machine ( I only used it for the making and kneeding part, than baked it in the oven) but I don’t have a bread machine and have never done it by hand.
    Do you have an easy white flour recipe? Something easy for a first timer?

Kimberly, here are a couple of easy white flour recipes. You’ll do fine with them – so long as you use the flour called for. Substituting other flours isn’t a good idea, as these recipes were written specifically for King Arthur Flour. Try English Muffin Toasting Bread, and Blitz Bread. Best of luck – PJH

33. emily

I have a couple of questions:

1) Can this be doubled or tripled without launch my KA stand-mixer into a picketing frenzy?

2) Some one suggested adding cinnamon and raisins to this loaf with success. I’d like to try that and letting the last rise occur overnight in the fridge so I can freshly bake the bread for breakfast. What steps would I need to take ie. at what point to put in fridge, how long to leave in fridge, do I need to let it set out before baking (yes, I will be using a metal pan and not glass or Pyrex)

3) Will it alter the taste, consistency, or success of this recipe if the milk is left out in its entirety?

Thanks so much for your help.

Hi Emily:
    1) If you have the big (5 1/2 or 6-qt.) KitchenAid, you could double; but triple might be a bit much. I can see the dough climbing right up that dough hook into the motor…
    2) I’d flatten the dough after the first rise, sprinkle with cinnamon sugar, and spread with raisins. Roll into a log, and nestle in the greased pan. Let rise for about 30 minutes, then cover and refrigerate. Next day, it’ll probably take a couple of hours (maybe a bit more) to warm up and then finish rising before you can bake. Lots of variables – you’d want to try this once to see how it works, then write it down so you remember for next time.
    3) Leaving the milk out will make a less tender loaf, but it should still be good.
    Good luck ! PJH

34. Ann

I do not have a handy mixer so I do bread the old fashion way and knead by hand. Can a bread making/ baking expert tell me any tip and whether I can double the recipe or not? It’s a log of work for just one loaf and would like to make more than that. Thanks
    Yes you may easily double this loaf. Use the same amount of yeast and 1 1/2 times the amount of salt as the single reciped suggest. Double everything else. This should be a nice amount of dough to knead and it is very niced bread. JMD@KAF

35. Melisa

I make our whole wheat sandwich bread every week. I love trying different recipes. I can’t believe i haven’t already tried this one. I’m going to this week! I have one question though. I like using butter instead of oil. What will it do to the bread if I make that substitution? Thanks!
    You can use butter in this recipe-use an equal amount. I think the butter will give is a slightly richer flavor. JMD@KAF

36. Mary

Oh, I believe it! But 100% regular whole wheat is still a little too strong a taste for my palate.

In my Zoji mini, I’ve worked out a recipe that works tremendously well for us as a sandwich loaf:
    1/4 c. of some “different flour” like teff, millet, quinoa, barley, rye (each makes a slightly different loaf – barley is particularly tender),
    1-1/4 c. regular KAF Whole Wheat,
    1-1/4 c. KAF WHITE Whole Wheat.

No milk, as I can’t have it (sinus problems).
    Olive Oil for the fat.
    Maple Syrup (or Honey or Agave Nectar) for the little bit of sugar.

And, of course, my “secret ingredient” is fresh-ground flax seeds! (3 Tbsp!)

We’re both diabetic, and the doctor wanted us to give up bread (!), but we tolerate this just fine with our blood levels staying right where they should (my husband only takes a pill to control his overnight levels and I’m not on any meds at all).

KAF White Whole Wheat is what makes it all work, of course. All that whole grain goodness without too strong a flavor. I’ve become a great ambassador for you, as I’m sure many of us have. When I buy flour, I often strike up a conversation with other shoppers there – the last time, I must have REALLY waxed poetic, as the woman bought a bag right on the spot! LOL!

KAF is outstanding!

37. Kelly

I always have great success with this bread. It is wonderful. However, any recommendations on slicing the bread? I have a hard time getting even, sandwich size slices. Thanks for any suggestions….
    There are some slicing guides that will help. We unfortunately do not have one right now. We are searching for one and when it is available we will be offering it on line. JMD@KAF

38. cotufita

Hello all!
    I love baking bread, the house smells great. I have a question, can I skip the seweets, I mean maple syrup, molasses, honey?
    Thank yu, and this loaf looks yummy!

Absolutely; substitute 2 tablespoons of water, OK? Or apple juice, if that’s OK for you… PJH

39. Candace

Re: slicing bread – I learned to slice bread with the loaf laying on it’s side. That way you aren’t putting pressure on the rounded top, and it is easier to get an even slice because you’re eyeballing the knife as it passes through the flat bottom. You can kind of hook your pointer finger of the hand you’re stabilizing the loaf with over the new slice, (as you slice down way from that finger) to hold it so it doesn’t peel off and tear. Best advice is to bake LOTS of bread- then you can practice slicing. Practice makes perfect, and great eating! BTW, Blitz Bread is the answer to every woman’s dinner woes!

I agree about the Blitz Bread, Candace – fast, fast, and SOOOOOO tasty. And thanks for sharing your slicing tip here- PJH

40. Cyn

Wow — that’s the first whole wheat bread I’ve made that was actually light! I did add some OJ after reading the comments on the recipe site, and I think that is a good addition if the whole wheat taste is too overwhelming.

PJ, thank you SO much for that tip on shaping the loaf! That totally makes sense to stretch the top and tuck the sides and ends underneath. Also, the tips on the recipe site for unmolding the bread from a glass pan worked perfectly. It seemed as if leaving the pan on its side for 15-20 minutes helped to “steam” the loaf just enough to release it from the pan. But, no sogginess. I feel as if I learn something every time I use a KA recipe. Many thanks!

You’re welcome, Cyn – glad we all could help- PJH

41. Jill

How can I adapt this for my big (5×12) loaf pan? I am eager to try the recipe, but baking 1 small loaf at a time is not going to work for my family of 5!
    Thanks.

This is an educated guess, Jill, but try doubling it – I’m thinking that would do it. The unrisen dough should fill the pan about halfway, or a little more; if it’s too much, take the extra and make a few buns… Enjoy! PJH

42. nipmucfarm

Just made this bread and it looks great. However, I’m a tad disappointed that the loaf is small. It rose to 1 inch above the rim before going into the oven but when baked, it was barely 1/2 inch above the rim. It will be a small slice of bread. It doesn’t look like your pictures.

Any suggestions?

I would suggest you call our baker’s hotline so we can trouble shoot with you. 802-649-3717Mary@ KAF

Since it shrunk, it may have over-risen a bit. Are you sure your pan’s inside dimensions are 8 1/2″ x 4 1/2″ – not 9″ x 5″? Makes a huge difference – a 9″ x 5″ pan is 30% greater capacity, which means your loaf would have to rise a lot more to get over the rim – and thus would have over-risen… PJH

43. mari10

How do you get the slices so even? I don’t have a slicer…so I just use a serrated bread knife. Also, do you have the nutrional values for this recipe? I am counting my calories and would like to know what this bread would come out. Really love this bread recipe and I haven’t made it since I started watching what I eat.
    Thanks.

I use a serrated knife, Mari – a nice sharp one. We generally don’t provide nutritional information on recipes as we don’t have the manpower to do so (it’s a laborious process), but I’ll see if I can put in a ticket and get it done for this particular recipe. Glad you enjoy it- PJH

44. Marc

I’ve struggled with whole wheat bread, but last night I was out of all-purpose flour. I tried this recipe, and it turned out beautifully. This is the first whole wheat loaf I’ve made that wasn’t heavy as a brick. Delicious!

Huzzah, Marc! Glad it worked well for you – another recipe to add to your “favorites” list… PJH

45. wrk4rce2007

What is “Protease,” and why does yeast not like it? Is it found in all milk products, including buttermilk? How does it affect bread recipes? Thanks, anyone.

Amazingly enough, you hit on the one question that gives us the most problems. We have an educational advisory group here at KA, and we’re currently reviewing all of our educational materials. It seems no one – either within KA, or outside – can agree on an answer. Here’s where I am with it – protease affects yeast growth; too much protease is bad, and will make your dough sticky and slack. Does the high heat of pasteurization (or scalding milk) neutralize protease? We don’t know, we’ve discussed it and can’t come up with an answer. Is it in buttermilk? I’d assume it’s in all dairy products, but can’t say for sure. Trust me, we WILL nail this down as much as possible in the next 6 months or so – protease is our “poster child” for revamping our whole body of baking knowledge! PJH

46. gschultz

Here’s a “baker’s vanity” question! I notice that the pan-baked loaves, like the one shown in this article, have beautifully smooth ends (and sides) I’d like to emulate. I form my loaves by patting the dough into a rectangle and folding into thirds. I pinch the bottom seam to seal it. For the ends, I use the side of my palms to push down the top layer quite firmly so it forms a little tab, like an envelope flap at the end. Then I roll the loaf to the bottom, pull the tab in and pinch it into the loaf.

When I do this, the ends are smooth, but, when baked, the bottom and sides of the loaf show grooves where the pinching was done. How do you KA wizards get the super-smooth look I see in the pictures?

This is one of those times where “less is more”. We just degas the dough and roll it up, only pinching the bottom seam. If you roll a dough up too tight, the seams will start to “pop”. Next time you bake, try going a bit looser. Frank @ KAF.

47. Oscar

For those who need knead by hand and dough is very wet(high hydration), you can use this kneading technique, which is free stress wrist kneading, and while in one video looks hard, the other show isn’t hard at all, just patience and at the begining not make fast movements or you can ending spreading chunks of dough all over the counter or floor!, links:

and I found that one or two rest periods of 1-2 minutes after 4-5 minutes kneading, help making faster to get the right consistency of the dough.

Oscar, thanks for sharing these links – very interesting, and helpful to “by hand” kneaders everywhere. PJH

48. Chel

I have made this bread a few times with pretty good results. I am new to bread making. Today when I made it the dough looked good but didn’t rise much at all! I finally gave up after an hour and 15 minutes for the second rise since it hadn’t risen any more for a while and put it in the oven. It looks nice just short! I had have issues with sticky dough in the past but it always rose nicely…not sure what happened today. good news is I did order some new yeast so maybe that will make things more consistent in the future! I’ve been using store bought. I find the step by step bogs very helpful!

Breads high in sugar and/or fat are slow to rise, and sometimes slower than others, if the flour/liquid ratio is at all weighted towards the flour side… could just be a combination of tiny, inadvertent alterations to the recipe that come together in a perfect storm. Don’t give up on this – try again, with new yeast, and hopefully things will turn out just fine. PJH

49. kim9474

Looking forward to trying this during the weekend. My husband is wanting some whole wheat buns, like hamburger buns. Would this recipe work for that, or is there a better one? He really wants 100% whole wheat. Your blog makes me feel as if I am almost in the kitchen with you.

Kim, this should work fine for buns. I haven’t tried it that way, but it’s got sufficient fat in it to remain soft, and since it slices well as bread, it should slice just as well as buns. Go for it! :) PJH

50. joanneblaine

I’ve been intimated by making bread since my first (and last) failed attempt many years ago. Your pictorial instructions gave me the courage the try again, and I have to say, I couldn’t believe how simple it was! I made two loaves this weekend! I will be baking it again today, using the shower caps I went out to buy from the dollar store (thanks for the suggestion) to cover the dough during the 2nd rise. I once wrapped the dough (before the second rise) too tight, and my (oppressed) dough spread to the sides instead of upward (yikes)!. Still came out great (though it wouldn’t have won any beauty contests)! Thanks so much for the recipe! It will become one of our staples!

Excellent, JOanne – congratulations on your success! Glad we could help – PJH

51. Deb

I love KAF whole grain baking book! I have a question about using the whole wheat sandwich bread recipe. I use a 600 watt KitchenAid mixer to mix and knead my dough. My dough looks great, not overly sticky, but after 4-5 minutes of kneading the dough becomes very moist, sticks to the bottom of bowl. I seems to bake up alright. I usually substitute 1 cup or a little more all purpose flour for some of the whole wheat. I also add 1/2 teaspoon diastalic malt powder and 2 teaspoons gluten. An ideas as to what is happening?

Deb, I’d cut the diastatic malt back to 1/4 teaspoon; you don’t really need 1/2 teaspoon for a single loaf. And realize that it’s OK for the dough to become sticky as it kneads; it’s all part of the process of the liquid being absorbed fully. It doesn’t have to clear the sides of the bowl; so long as you’re happy with the finished loaf, it’s all good. PJH

52. Tracey

I am a complete novice when it comes to yeast and bread. I have read all the other comments and had no idea that you could over-rise your loaf. I’ve done the recipe twice and both times, the bread was very heavy and dense. I want to tweak the rise times but I am worried about letting the dough rise too long. How long is too long for the first and second rises?

Over-proofing is most fatal during the second rise. If the dough has risen too long, it may collapse in the oven resulting in a dense loaf. Rising times vary significantly depending on the temperature of the dough and room. It’s best to watch your dough closely and test it for oven-readiness. If you poke your shaped dough with a finger and it leaves an indent, the dough is ready. If the indent springs back fairly quickly, the dough needs more time. Feel free to give us a call at 802-649-3717 while you’re baking for questions! kelsey@KAF

53. Vandana

Thank you for this recipe. I made it today by following the recipe making the dough in my Zo and then baking in the oven. Came out very well. I am in the quest for a perfect sustainable whole wheat recipe (simple ingredients) like this one, to make regularly in my ABM (Zo) that I have recently invested in. I have been okay with getting the bread to rise and all, but the bottom crust is always tough (unlike the oven baked one). Am I doing something wrong with my Zo? Should I be taking the bread out earlier? Any suggestions welcome.

Bread Machines heat up differently. This explains the differences between machine baked and oven baked loaves. For that thin bottom crust, you’ll really need to use your oven. Frank @ KAF.

54. Des

My load was small and dense and heavy!!! pls help!!!!!!!!!

Des, please call our Baker’s Hotline – 802-649-3717. They can talk you through the recipe to find out what might have gone wrong… PJH

1. KAREN

I HAVE MADE THIS RECIPE ABOUT 4 TIMES AND IT COMES OUT SMALL EVERYTIME.ITS A LOT OF WORK AND TIME FOR A MIDGET LOAF. I WOULD LIKE SOME TALLNESS. PLEASE HELP!!!

It sounds like there may be a recipe measurement issue if your bread is not rising properly. Please call our Baker’s Hotline and we will be happy to help! Jon!@KAF 855 371 2253

55. Eunika

I use an 11-cup Cuisinart to mix my dough. I have been making white bread for years and was very apprehensive about baking whole wheat. The recipe was easy and the instructions were easy to follow, as well. I made the loaf and it rose but not nearly as high as yours. Can you help me adapt the recipe to using my food processor.

If you’re using the dough blade on your food processor, then it shouldn’t be an issue; knead as the manufacturer directs, maybe 90 seconds or so? I wouldn’t recommend using the metal blade to knead, as it cuts the gluten, AND the bran – making the gluten-slashing bran particles even sharper and more dispersed than they already are. Perhaps the lack of rise wasn’t due to your food processor (if you used the dough blade), but rather the yeast. Did you use instant yeast? You may need to extend rising times, too; not everyone’s kitchen has the same degree of “yeast-friendliness.” If you’d like to discuss this further, please call our hotline: 802-649-3717. They can talk you through the process. PJH

56. kris

I couldn’t wait to bake this bread after reading all the comments! It just looks SO amazing. However, I baked the bread twice and both loaves came out extremely dense. The first time I used a bread machine and the dough looked extremely dry and didn’t come out well at all. The second time I followed the blog instructions and mixed it in a stand mixer. When I first mixed everything together, it came out extremely dry. And by the time I was done kneading, it was pretty tough. It rose a little, but the finished product was a dry dense loaf. I don’t know what I’m doing wrong…I hope I can make this bread someday…

I am sorry to hear that you had trouble with the recipe. I think you may have had too much flour in your dough. Please give us a call on the baker’s hotline so that we may further assist you with this. ~Amy @KAF

57. philawriter

I wish I had read through the comments *before* I baked this loaf! I just pulled it out of the oven and it shrunk a little while cooking and doesn’t have the nice dome it had before I baked it. what I did wrong:
    1. I poured cold milk into the warm water–without heating the milk first. perhaps a protease problem?
    2. I’m pretty sure my pan is 9×5, too big for this recipe.
    3. maybe I have an “over rise” problem?
    at any rate, the recipe was easy and the bread smells delicious. KAF recipes rarely disappoint so I have confidence it will still be good. Next time though…I’ll read all these useful comments and the responses from KAF.
    thanks for the recipe!
    Kristen

Kristen, there’s not much agreement on whether protease is actually a problem; I think the loaf was a bit over-risen. When it hit the oven heat, it rose even more, then suffered a bit of a collapse, as the gluten simply wouldn’t stretch that far. Also, the size of the pan may have contributed to the “not so nice” shape. Anyway – I have every confidence that next time will be better! Thanks for sharing your experience here. PJH

58. Vicki

I have a Bosch mixer, and would like to adjust this recipe for 6 loaves. Could you please help me with the proportions? Thanks.
    Sorry Vicki, that’s one of the few services that we don’t offer here on the hotline. We apologize for any inconvenience. ~ MaryJane

59. Molly

I have tried this recipe twice as written, and both tunes the bread looks lovely, but when I try to slice it the bread just crumbles and useless for sandwiches. Any idea what could be going wrong? I was thinking maybe I need to knead it more??

I think you might simply be using too much flour, Molly. Try letting the dough rest for 30 minutes BEFORE kneading; this helps the flour absorb the liquid, making it less sticky, which means you’ll be less prone to add extra flour. And then, let it stay on the sticky side as you knead- instead of using flour to knead (if you’re kneading by hand), use non-stick vegetable oil spray or olive oil. Be sure to let it rise long enough, too; you could actually deflate after the first rise, and let it rise again before shaping; as bread rises, its gluten continues to develop. Finally, call our baking hotline, if you’d like to discuss this in real time – 802-649-3717. Good luck – PJH

60. "vanessa Natalia"

Tried this recipe using regular Wheat flour not your brand as it’s not available in my country-maybe there’s an oppurtunity for you there! Instead of vegetable oil I substituted with olive oil and added a handful of walnuts,sultanas,gogi berries and linseed meal.It tasted fabulous served with butter,honey and black sea salt!Only problem is,my loaf did not rise as it should have.Was this due to my additions,weather conditions in the Caribbean or simply because of the flour?

Probably a combination, Vanessa. Four different add-ins will depress the rise, as will a poorer-quality whole wheat flour, which I assume you had to use. You might try adding more yeast, and/or vital wheat gluten, if you can get it. Or spring for some of our white whole wheat flour; you’ll be amazed at the difference top-quality flour can make in our bread. Good luck! PJH

61. kerry

Hi. omg, i feel like a true baker. I just took the bread out of the oven not only does it smell great it also looks wonderful….. I can not wait for it to cool and enjoy! Thankyou.

62. Question

This is my 1st bread baking. I copied this recipe last night, baked it thus morning. my bread turned out a little doughie and very heavy. What did I do wrong?
    Does replacing water for 2%milk stuff things up?
    Thank you.
    HI there,
    Because this is your first time, I’d say give the baker’s hotline a call. There are lots of little things they can ask and tell you about to help ensure success. 1-800-827-6836, they will be very happy to help. ~ MaryJane

63. K Meyer

I just made this recipe and am very pleased with the results! However, the one instruction I can never follow is to let it cool completely before slicing–I slice and eat it as soon as it comes out of the oven. What is the advantage to letting it cool completely? I never have the self-control to do so, but I would like to know what I’m missing out on. :) Thanks for a great product and recipe!

64. Kathy

I plan to try this recipe today. I’ve tried others, but never seem to get the rise that I want, but this site has given some great and very detailed instructions that have helped me understand where I was going wrong.

Is it possible to add a 12-grain cereal to this mix? Do I need to do anything differently (i.e. add less flour, or more water)?

I suggest making the recipe as written before attempting a substitution, just so you have a good idea of how the original recipe performs.

Replacing flour with a whole grain mix will make the resulting loaf denser, and possibly more coarsely textured. it would be an experiment. I suggest no more than a 25% substitution. Frank @ KAF.

65. spooky1831

Can you tell me the shelf life of the bakers milk if it hasn’t been opened, there isnt’t any date on the bag?

This will be good for 1 year. Frank @ KAF.

66. Maha

I tried to bake whole wheat bread without adding sugar,I only add 1/2 teaspoon to 3 cup wheat flour & it turn out not that good.
    I also add beans flour.
    I want to try this recipe can you please help me with perfect ratio to add beans flour.
    Thanks

Please give our bakers a call on the Hotline. They’ll be able to assist you adapt the recipe to your requirements, 800-827-6836. Frank @ KAF.

67. Maha

Thanks..
    But I living outside the United States,if there any other way to help me..

Yes, Maha, go to our recipe page, and click on the “chat with a baker” link, next to the picture of the telephone on the left hand side of the page; you can have an email chat with one of our bakers. PJH

68. katpauz

I have used KA whole wheat for years, but am giving homeground spelt a whirl. I know spelt has less gluten than whole wheat, but I also see where it can be used in place of whole wheat. How do you think it would work with this recipe (or would it?). Should I let it sit a little bit before the 7min kneading as the spelt appears to take longer to soak up liquid?

Thanks so much!

It’s not so much a difference in amount gluten between spelt and whole wheat (spelt is actually a higher protein flour, though not by much), but how that gluten acts. Spelt’s gluten tends to be fragile; if you make a free-standing bread with whole wheat, and one with spelt, the one with spelt will tend to spread out, rather than rise up. Letting the dough rest before kneading is always a good idea; as you said, it gives the flour a chance to absorb the liquid. However, spelt, being fragile, also releases liquid more readily; so handle the dough gently all along the way. I think your best bet is to make this recipe as written (including the rest before kneading, as you suggest), and see what happens as you go along; you may or may not need to add a bit more flour. Your loaf won’t rise as high, but it’ll have great flavor. One thing to try sometime: a braided bread. Spelt flour tends to make lovely braided loaves, as the braided structure helps support the fragile dough. Enjoy – PJH

69. Mary Beth

I’m a novice bread baker. Does it make a difference if the measuring cup or bowl that the bread rises in is acrylic or glass? Thanks!
    Either of those materials should be fine for the dough. ~Amy

70. Michelle

Hi, I just wanted to write to tell you how much I LOVE this bread. It is my favorite, go-to wheat bread recipe. The other day my 8 year old son wanted to try making a loaf himself, and with only a little guidance from me (explaining the recipe to him), he did it! My whole family is in love with this recipe. :)

Here is a blog post I wrote about this recipe, plus I also added links to my posts on a bread-making tutorial (of course using this recipe), and a bread slicing how-to!

I really enjoyed your blog, Michelle, and your son looks so happy holding the bread in the photo. What a wonderful craft to be sharing with your child! Thank you for sharing with us. ~Amy

71. Becca

I have been trying hard to get this bread to rise well. I have watched the temp of the water, tried different rise times so that it doesn’t rise too long and then fall, tried different yeasts, making sure there isn’t any draft, etc. and it doesn’t seem to rise as high as this blog/recipe. I did finally use SAF-instant yeast and this time it had a better rise, but still not like this blog. The only other thing that I question is my bread pan is a 9×5 instead of and 8.5 x 4.5. Could this slight difference possibly be the problem?

Yes, Becca, the pan might be exactly the problem. Surprisingly, a 9″ x 5″ pan is 30% larger than an 8 1/2″ x 4 1/2″ pan, and makes a very noticeable difference in the shape of the bread, producing a much flatter loaf. There’s no need to buy a smaller pan if you’re satisfied with the texture of the bread, unless you’re really longing for the classic domed shape – in which case I think you need a smaller pan. Hope this helps – PJH

72. chrissie

Can I decrease the amount of oil in the bread? Or leave it out entirely? I don’t mind using a little but the amount of calories and fat in 1/4 cup adds significantly to the amount in bread. I realize bread is calorie rich regardless but every little bit helps!

Removing the oil entirely will toughen the texture and shorten the shelf life. Try replacing it with the same amount using a 50:50 blend of Oil:Applesauce. Frank @ KAF.

73. Robert Dunn

Great recipe!!! The honey gives it a very mild and soft taste however I was wondering if there was a way to make the honey taste even more pronounced (like add a bit more honey and reduce the water quantity accordingly?)

Other than that this recipe is great and turned out marvelous! I can’t stop eating this bread!
    You could try that. But, like using maple syrup as a sweetener in baked goods, the flavor is not very pronounced. What about using a melted butter and honey glaze on top of the bread once it comes out of the oven? You could even slash the loaf straight down the center before it is baked. Then maybe the glaze will seep in too! Apply glaze when it is still warm. Elisabeth

74. Bob

Great recipe I love it. However people have told me they still taste a little bit of yeast in the bread. Is this normal? O use a meatloaf pan that is smaller than a normal bread pan because I do not (yet) have one. Could this be why the bread tastes like yeast or am I adding too much? (I add an entire packet of Fleischmanns active dry yeast).

Bob, could be you’re letting the bread rise in a spot that’s too warm, and the yeast is simply over-producing. Try rising in a cooler place next time, see if that helps. For more information (or a dialogue), call our baker’s hotline, OK? 802-649-3717. Good luck – and don’t give up, yeast bread is a wonderful thing to pursue. PJH

75. Maryv1123

My dough rose the first time but not after i put it in the pan. My yeast was a month past expiration. Do you think this caused it to not rise ?

This is a good question to chat through with our bakers – we’ll problem solve with you and ask questions like – What type of yeast? How long was the rise time? Where was the dough/or shaped product rising? Call us at 800-827-6836 and we’ll solve this dilemma together! Irene @ KAF

76. Colleen8796

Made this today with KAF White Whole Wheat Flour. Smelled delicious while baking, but the dough never rose very high in the second rise. The only thing I can think of is that I didn’t knead it long enough. Any suggestions? I have had good luck with your basic white bread recipe and was looking for an easy whole wheat recipe. Love KAF products and recipes!

You may have used too much flour, Colleen. The best way to measure flour is by weighing; whole wheat flour weighs 4 ounces per cup. If you don’t have a scale, be sure you measure using the sprinkle and sweep method. Contrary to what seems reasonable, kneading whole wheat bread for too long is actual bad for it, as the sharp bran particles cut the forming gluten. Better to knead less and let rise more. Please call our baker’s hotline, 802-649-3717, if you’d like to discuss this with one of our bakers in person, OK? PJH

77. gwenholmgren

I made this and it turned out fabulous; just like the picture. Slices great and tastes great! I also recently made the Oatmeal Sandwich bread from the recipe on the KAF bread flour bag. I’d like to know how to add oatmeal to this 100% whole wheat recipe. Do I subtract 3 oz of flour if I add 3 oz of oatmeal?

That should be fine to do, just make sure that you grind your oatmeal or use an oat flour!-Jon

78. gwenholmgren

If I want to add oatmeal in this recipe whole, not ground, the same way the Oatmeal Sandwich bread does, do I need to adjust the flour or the liquid, or just add it in?

I’m hazarding an educated guess here, Gwen, so no guarantees; but I’d substitute 3/4 cup oats for 1/2 cup of the whole wheat flour. Start with the lesser amount of liquid; and let the dough rest for 20 minutes before kneading, to give the oats a chance to soften and absorb the liquid. Good luck – PJH

79. Deepali Jain

This is my first time here & first attempt at bread baking. I really like this recipe however I’m a bit confused about the amount of yeast used. I read that 3-4 cups of flour takes 1 tsp of instant yeast, but this recipe uses 2 1/2 tsps of instant yeast. Is the amount correct or is it an error? I’m sorry to be asking this question. I am planning to bake this bread tomorrow.

Never be sorry for asking questions! That’s how you learn. I’m not sure where you read about 1 teaspoon of yeast being appropriate for 3 to 4 cups of flour; yeast can actually be increased or decreased as desired to hasten or slow the rising process. The amount of yeast is correct as written for this recipe, producing rising times that are neither too fast, nor too slow. Good luck, and if you run into any difficulties, please call our baker’s hotline: 800-827-6836. Enjoy – PJH

80. HHB

Made the KA recipe on this website once..came out like a brick. did not rise enough. 2nd time came across a video on breadtopia.com that was a KA version still the same results. The first rise did not rise double took 2.5 hrs. Used rapid rise instant yeast. Does that make a difference? The guy on the video did not kneed his dough a lot and used white wheat flour. I used KA 100% whole wheat flour. I’ve read that using all wheat flour you don’t get a great rise? Is that true? I want this bread to look like the picture. Should I’ve kneed the dough more. HELP!

To be brief, rapid rise yeast is great for doughs with a single rise. If you follow traditional recipes, an instant or an active dry yeast would be better (be sure to dissolve the active dry yeast with some of the water in the recipe before adding to the dough). Finally, bread doughs will occasionally require more liquid than the recipe states depending on the weather: adding 2-3 Tbs will often do the trick. Finally, overproofing (letting the dough rise too long before it goes into the oven) can result in a flat, dense loaf. Still, it sounds like there might be some measuring troubleshooting and ingredient advice to discuss at greater length than on the blog! We would be glad to discuss all of these questions either on the Bakers Hotline (1-855-371-2253) OR on Bakers Chat (http://www.kingarthurflour.com/contact/) Kim@KAF

81. maite

Hi!, i love this recipe, although i have a little problem with it… and also with other 100% whole grain recipes… My breads taste fantastic, but they are a little bit heavy (i mean, no that fluffy) and it’s a little difficult to cut a slice without breaking it. We need to cut big slices to have entire ones. They seem as if they where not completely unified, you understand?
    I think maybe the reason could be that I usually add a couple of tablespoons of flour to the dough, cause i find it very sticky and difficult to knead like that.
    I have just read the comment below mine and i think i’ll try to let the dough rest 20 minutes before start kneading it.

Do you think there could be some other reason for it?

I wanted to ask, also, what difference makes the amount of oil in bread recipes (2 Tbsp to 1/4 cup, for example)

THANKS A LOT!
    It definitely sounds like you may be adding too much flour to the recipe. Try the resting, and then be very careful not to add additional flour during kneading. Wetter is better for whole grain dough.
    For the oils, fats act as flavor and as tenderizers. A little goes a long way, so try not to add more than the recipe calls for. ~ MaryJane

82. angelbernahl@gmail.com

The picture I have linked to is the end result of following this recipe to a T. The bread was just about glued to the pan. Running a knife along the edge didnt work. I had to about cut it out of the pan which resulted in the bottom coming off since it too was stuck.

Havent tasted it yet but based on these results Id never make it again.

I am sorry to hear you had trouble with this recipe! It looks like the bread stuck quite badly to your pan, did you make sure to grease it before placing your dough inside?-Jon

No-knead doughs, because of their moisture content, do tend to stick in the pan more than loaves made with a drier dough. If your oven wasn’t hot enough, or your pan wasn’t REALLY well greased, this can happen. You might try, if you want to make the recipe again, cutting a sheet of parchment that you can use in the pan like a sling; it will cover the bottom, and come up both sides. Leave a little overhang; clip the overhang to the pan using binder clips. When the bread is done, loosen the ends, and use the parchment to lift the loaf out. Good luck – PJH

83. Brad

I really like this recipe. It’s soft, rises well, tastes good, and is whole wheat. I’ve been using the stretch and fold method instead of hand kneading as this dough is very sticky and I don’t have a stand mixer or food processor. I do three stretch and folds on a greased counter (well everything is actually) each followed by 45 min of rest in a covered bowl prior to forming the loaf. It seems to work just fine. I’ve been having one problem though. The dough never really becomes especially elastic. It just seems to get tough and tears easily. Every time I form a loaf no matter what method I use, the top of the loaf always tears leaving a rather ugly loaf. I don’t know if I am conditioning the dough too much or if I need to do another stretch and fold, knead by hand, or what. Any help would be appreciated.
    It sounds like a case of aggressive kneading. Try to be a little more gentle with the dough and remember that bits of bran and germ in the flour are going to cut your gluten strands shorter, so that will effect the elasticity of the dough. MJ

84. Shikha Jhunjhunwala Jalan

Hi,
    I am unable to find nonfat or even skimmed milk power in my area to make this classic whole wheat bread.
    Kindly suggest a substitute.

Thanks

1. Susan Reid

The simplest thing to do in that case is just use milk instead of water; no other substitution needed. Susan

85. Shikha jhunJhunWala jalan

Dear Susan
    Thank you for ur prompt reply.
    Another question is that I have found a packet of active dry yeast with contains 25g(0.88oz).
    According to the recipe a packet of such yeast might become tooo much.
    Could u tell me the exact qty of active dry yeast to be used in teaspoon measurement.
    Thanks again

One .25 ounce packet of yeast = 2 1/4 teaspoons. Happy Baking! Irene@KAF

86. Dhebard

Trying this recipe for the second time in two days. The first loaf didn’t rise much but baked up well and taste wonderful. After baking it, I noticed in the recipe where it says to dissolve the yeast in some of the water, which I did not do. So for this second loaf, I have “proofed” the yeast in the water before mixing. So far everything looks better, loaf is on second rise. Can’t wait to see if I get a good rise this time.

1. Dhebard

2nd loaf did rise a bit more and the crumb was not as dense as the first loaf. I didn’t get the rise I wanted though and know I realize that I am baking in a 9×5 pan instead of the 8.5 x 4.5 stated in the recipe…

You’ll still get a good domed shape using the 9 X 5 pan, but using the smaller pan you’ll get the most picture perfect loaf shape! Happy Baking – Irene@KAF

87. Jackie

So I’ve tried this recipe twice now. First time I think I let it rise too long because it collapsed while cooling, and had huge air pocket. I was very careful about rising times the second time, but after cooling and slicing I found the loaf was a bit doughy/soft at the bottom. It also doesn’t slice so well. When I took it out the oven the temp was above 205F, so not sure where I went wrong. I did use some flour during the kneading, but the dough was still quite sticky (more so than the first time) so didn’t think I went overboard. Other than the soft base, the bread taste and look great. Really light. Any advice?

I would suggest to give our Baker’s Hotline a call so we can troubleshoot your bread troubles over the phone! Jon@KAF 855 371 2253

88. Anna

I tried making this recipe today and got a brick. I forgot that whole wheat flour takes longer to rise. So I’ll try it again next week.

My bread machine can only handle 2 cups of flour at a time so I tried cutting the recipe in half. I started with 1 1/2 and 1/4 cups of whole wheat flour and it was very liquidy. I added another 1/2 cup because it was so wet. I also used molasses as the sweetener. Next time I’ll try it in my mother’s bread machine as originally written. Her machine can handle up to four cups of flour. It’s a very pleasant smell as its baking.

Anna, sorry this has been a bumpy road for you. I hope that trying the recipe in your mom’s machine does the trick. Good luck – amnd remember, our bakers’ hotline folks are always ready to help, 855-371-BAKE (2253). PJH

2. Anna

I made another loaf this week. I followed the directions carefully and used my mother’s bread machine. I also used Honey this time instead of molasses. I let it rise for an hour and the baked it for 35 minutes. It was perfect. I will definately use this recipe again.

Anna, so glad to hear you had a good experience with this bread. 100% whole wheat bread can be a challenge, but it sounds like you nailed it. Good show! :) PJH

89. Sue

I like whole-wheat bread that’s not at all sweet. How little sweetener can I get away with and still have it come out well?

90. Anne Bennett

How would I scale this so I could make a 10×5 loaf? We can really go through the bread in my house so it’s nice to make larger loaf!

Your loaf would be approximately 1/3 bigger. Please increase your loaf by multiplying each ingredient by 4/3. ~Jaydl@KAF

91. Bernadette

Just used up the last of the homemade sandwich rolls today for lunch so it’s time to make bread or rolls for the next few days. Will have to use the white whole wheat flour since I don’t have the other but now my dilemma is which bread do I make first…this one or the Pumpernickle Boule. I wish all my decisions were this tough.