- Lightly grease a half-sheet pan (13" x 18") or other large, rimmed baking sheet. Drizzle with 1 tablespoon olive oil; set it aside.
- Mix and knead the dough ingredients — by hand, mixer, or bread machine set on the dough cycle — to form a slightly soft dough. Cover and let rise for 1 hour, until puffy.
- Spread the dough into the pan, stretching it to the edges. If it shrinks back, let it rest for 10 minutes, and stretch again, repeating if necessary.
- Use a lightly greased bench knife or pizza wheel to cut the dough into 12 or 13 crosswise strips, 1" wide. Then cut the dough in half lengthwise — you'll have 24 to 26 strips, each about 6 1/2" long. Leave them right as they are, in the pan.
- Cover and let the strips rise at room temperature for 45 to 60 minutes, until puffy. Towards the end of the rising time, preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Brush the strips with the egg wash, and sprinkle on the topping.
- Bake the breadsticks for 30 to 35 minutes, until they're light gold. Remove the pan from the oven.
- Once the breadsticks are cool enough to handle, cut along their score lines.
- Yield: 24 to 26 breadsticks.
Tips from our Bakers
- Don't have our artisan bread topping? Substitute any combination of your favorite seeds, spices, herbs, and/or salts.