- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Lightly grease a 12-cup muffin pan, or line it with papers and grease the papers.
- To make the muffins: In a medium-sized mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt, then toss the cranberries into the mixture, stirring to coat.
- In a separate bowl, or in a large measuring cup, whisk together the egg, oil, milk, orange juice, and orange oil or peel. Gently and thoroughly mix the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients.
- Using a muffin or cookie scoop, or a 1/4-cup measure, fill each muffin cup about 3/4 full.
- To make the topping: Combine all of the topping ingredients. Sprinkle a scant 1 tablespoon of topping over the batter in each muffin cup.
- Bake the muffins for 20 minutes, or until they're nicely domed and a cake tester inserted into the center of one comes out clean. Remove the muffins from the oven, and run a knife around the edge of each one to separate it from the pan. Carefully tilt each muffin in its cup so steam doesn't collect underneath as they cool. After about 5 minutes, transfer them to a rack to cool completely.
- Store muffins for up to 3 days in a plastic bag on the counter; or freeze, well wrapped, for up to a month.
Tips from our Bakers
- For a slightly tangier muffin, use coarsely chopped fresh or frozen cranberries in place of dried.