- To make the crust: Whisk together the flour, sugar, and salt. Mix in the butter until evenly crumbly.
- Add the egg yolk, mixing till the mixture holds together when squeezed.
- Press the dough into a 9" tart pan, pushing firmly up the sides. Prick the crust all over with a fork. Chill in the freezer, uncovered, for 15 minutes or so, while you preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Bake the tart crust for 15 to 20 minutes, until lightly browned around the edges. Remove from the oven.
- To make the filling: Mix the softened cream cheese with the sugar until well blended, making sure to scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl.
- Mix in the eggs one at time, then the cream, Fiori, and zest.
- Pour the filling into the baked crust. Reduce the oven heat to 350°F. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, till the tart is nearly set; a small spot in the middle will remain soft-looking.
- Remove from the oven, and cool at room temperature for 1 hour; then refrigerate till ready to serve.
- Just before serving, top as desired with fresh fruit, and brush with apricot jam that's been thinned with water, heated gently, and strained to remove the solids.
- Yield: one 9" tart, 6 to 8 servings.
Tips from our Bakers
- For a thinner crust, bake in a 9" square tart pan, using the same baking directions as given above.
- For a delicious early summer topping, place fresh whole hulled strawberries upside-down on top of the cooled tart.