- Combine all the ingredients in a large bowl or in the bucket of a bread machine.
- Mix and knead till the dough is smooth and supple, adding additional liquid or all-purpose flour as needed.
- Place the dough in a lightly greased bowl, cover, and let it rise about 1 hour, till puffy. (In the bread machine, allow the machine to complete its dough cycle.)
- Turn the dough onto a lightly oiled work surface, and shape it into an 8" log.
- Place the log in a lightly greased 8 1/2" x 4 1/2" loaf pan.
- Cover the pan and let the loaf rise for about 40 to 60 minutes, or until it's crowned about 1" over the rim of the pan. Towards the end of the rising time, preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Bake the bread for 30 to 40 minutes, or until it's golden brown and its internal temperature registers 190°F on an instant-read thermometer. Remove it from the oven, and turn it out of the pan onto a rack to cool.