- To prepare the dough: Combine all of the ingredients, and mix them until you have a shaggy dough.
- Let the dough rest, covered, for 20 minutes, then knead until fairly smooth.
- Allow the dough to rise, covered, for 1 to 2 hours, or until it's puffy and nearly doubled in bulk.
- Gently deflate the dough, shape it into a log, and place it in a lightly greased 9" x 5" bread pan.
- Cover the pan with lightly greased plastic wrap (or a clear shower cap), and allow it to rise for 1 to 2 hours, until it's crowned about 1" to 2" over the rim of the pan. Towards the end of the rising time, preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Bake the bread for 40 to 45 minutes, tenting it lightly with aluminum foil for the final 20 minutes of baking. The bread should be golden brown, and its interior should register 195°F to 205°F on an instant-read thermometer inserted into its center.
- Remove it from the oven, and after 5 minutes turn it out of the pan onto a rack to cool.