- To make the dough: Combine all of the dough ingredients and mix and knead — by hand, mixer, or bread machine — to make a soft, smooth dough.
- Transfer the dough to a lightly greased bowl, cover the bowl, and allow the dough to rise until puffy, about 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
- Transfer the dough to a lightly oiled work surface, and shape it into an 8" log. Place the log in a lightly greased 8 1/2" x 4 1/2" loaf pan, cover the pan loosely with lightly greased plastic wrap, and allow the bread to rise for about 45 to 60 minutes, until it's crowned about 1" above the edge of the pan. A finger pressed into the dough should leave a mark that rebounds slowly.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Bake the loaf for about 35 minutes. Test it for doneness by removing it from the pan and thumping it on the bottom (it should sound hollow), or by measuring its interior temperature with an instant-read thermometer (it should register 190°F at the center of the loaf). Remove the bread from the oven, and cool it on a wire rack before slicing.
- Remove the bread from the oven, and cool it on a wire rack before slicing.
- Store the bread in a plastic bag at room temperature for 5 days, or freeze for up to 3 months.