- Mix the flour, spices, and salt in a medium-sized mixing bowl.
- Add the sugar and pumpkin, blending thoroughly.
- Stir in the syrup and milk. Allow the mixture to rest for 30 to 60 minutes at room temperature; or up to overnight in the refrigerator, if desired; this allows the flavors to meld, and will make the filling smoother.
- Add the beaten eggs, whisking till combined.
- Pour the filling into the prepared crust. Cover the edge of the crust with a crust shield, or aluminum foil.
- Preheat the oven to 450°F.
- Place the pie on the bottom rack of your oven, and bake it for 15 minutes.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 350°F, move the pie to the middle rack, and bake for an additional 35 to 40 minutes, or until the temperature at the center is at least 175°F, and a knife inserted 1" from the edge comes out moist, but clean.
- Remove the pie from the oven, and cool to room temperature (or chill) before serving. Serve with whipped cream, if desired.
- Yield: 1 pie, about 8 to 10 servings.
Tips from our Bakers
- Why the range of spices? So you can match the pie to your audience's taste. Canadians seem to like their pumpkin pies spicy. Americans seem to prefer a blander pie, one where the flavor of pumpkin shines through.