Flourless chocolate cake: perfect for Passover

For those of us who don’t celebrate Passover, it’s a mystery.

We know it’s a major Jewish holiday. We’re pretty sure it’s a happy one. We think it goes on for a few days.

But more than that – as I said, mystery.

Oh, and one more thing: certain foods are forbidden. Like flour. And leavening, as in yeast, baking powder, baking soda…

Now, for those of us who bake, that makes Passover a pretty challenging occasion, culinarily speaking.

Start with “no flour.” OUCH. How many baked goods can YOU think of that don’t include flour? A fruit-filled meringue pavlova is one. Lemon soufflé is another. And then there’s…. hmmm…

You can find recipes using matzoh meal in place of flour. Or variations on the meringue theme, incorporating chocolate chips, nuts, and other tasty add-ins.

And then there are the recipes where ground nuts stand in for the flour (which works in a low-flour, high-sugar, high-fat, high-egg recipe, such as brownies). But most sound a little forced. Like, too bad we can’t use flour, but we’ll substitute x-y-z instead and it’ll be pretty good.

At the end of the day, there’s one flourless dessert that was born to be flourless. A special treat that doesn’t require compromise, doesn’t need the “almost as good as” label. And that’s Flourless Chocolate Cake.

Chocolate, sugar, eggs, and butter. Salt and – if your Passover dietary laws allow it – vanilla and espresso powder. These simple ingredients create magic together, the alchemy of eggs and sugar providing structure, the vanilla and espresso and salt adding flavor, and the chocolate lending its own special qualities: a bit of structure, sumptuous mouth-feel, and the undefined yet intensely compelling quality we all love: CHOCOLATE.

Serve this dense, rich, flourless/unleavened cake at Passover, where it’s the perfect finale to the Seder. But don’t relegate it to once-a-year status. Although it doesn’t have King Arthur Flour’s favorite ingredient, it’s still one of our favorite desserts.

Preheat the oven to 375°F.

Put 1 cup semisweet or bittersweet chocolate chips and 1/2 cup (8 tablespoons) unsalted butter in a microwave-safe bowl, and heat until the butter is melted and the chips are soft. Stir until the chips melt, reheating briefly if necessary. You can also do this over a burner set at very low heat. Transfer the melted chocolate/butter to a mixing bowl.

Can you tell this is going to be one rich cake?

Stir in the following:

3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 to 2 teaspoons espresso powder, optional
1 teaspoon vanilla extract, optional

Espresso enhances chocolate’s flavor much as vanilla does; using 1 teaspoon will simply enhance the flavor, while 2 teaspoons will lend a hint of mocha to the cake.

Add 3 large eggs, beating briefly until smooth. Finally, add 1/2 cup cocoa powder, and mix just to combine.

Grease an 8” round cake pan, and line it with parchment. Cut it to size by laying the pan atop the parchment, drawing a circle around it with a marking pen, then cutting it out. Lay the parchment in the pan, and grease the parchment.

Spoon the batter into the prepared pan.

Bake the cake for 25 minutes; the top will form a thin crust, and it’ll puff up nicely.

Remove the cake from the oven; it should register at least 200°F on an instant-read thermometer inserted into its center.

This cake is actually a bit over-baked; I should have lowered the temperature a couple of minutes, because I was using a darker (dark gray) pan.

A toothpick inserted into the center of the cake should come out with moist crumbs clinging to it; again, this is slightly over-baked, as evidenced by the paucity of crumbs.

Cool the cake in the pan for 5 minutes, then loosen the edges with a table knife or nylon spreader, and turn it out onto a serving plate. The top will now be on the bottom; that’s fine. Also, the edges may crumble a bit, which is also fine.

Allow the cake to cool completely before glazing. When ready to glaze, slip strips of parchment under the edges of the cake, to catch any drips.

To make the icing/ganache, heat 1 cup semisweet or bittersweet chocolate chips and 1/2 cup heavy cream together until the cream is steaming. Remove from the heat, and stir until the mixture comes together.

Keep stirring; don’t give up. All of a sudden, you’ll have beautifully smooth, creamy chocolate icing, a.k.a. chocolate ganache.

Immediately pour the ganache over the cake.

Isn’t that beautiful?

Spread the ganache to the edges of the cake, encouraging it to drip down the sides. It doesn’t need much encouragement once you push it to the edge.

Once the ganache sets, gently pull away the strips of parchment; you’ll be happy at how neat and clean your plate looks.

For cleanest slicing, use a sharp knife dipped in hot water and wiped dry. Repeat dipping knife in hot water and wiping dry for each slice.

Serve with whipped cream or ice cream; or just as it is, in all its chocolate-y splendor.

If you’re celebrating Passover, I hope you enjoy a lovely family celebration. If not – well, go ahead and enjoy this cake anyway!

Read, bake, and review (please) our recipe for Flourless Chocolate Cake.

P.S. Re: Vermont’s Fifth Season, a.k.a. Mud Season. Those of us in New Hampshire feel your pain, Susan. New Hampshire doesn’t have Mud Season; “the Granite State” is just too rocky. Instead, we have… spring! Here’s what it looks like at my house these days:

comments

1. Beth

Well – it WAS going to be the traditional sponge cake and strawberries and macaroons. . .I think that this chocolate cake could become a new tradition. Passover is a happy, family-centered holiday with (no surprise) a special dinner at its center. Thanks for the perfectly timed recipe!
    Happy Spring – the dogwoods are at peak in Atlanta!
    Beth

2. Deborah

Oh yum! This comes at the perfect moment since I am planning out my Passover menu. I found a great recipe for homemade matzah and this cake is going to be a wonderful addition to this year’s Seder meal!

3. Diane

Looks like we’re going to have 3 desserts (and 5 people) for this years seder! My mother always makes an apricot roll and a nut cake but this is what I’m going to bring to the table.

4. Sharlyne

FYI – this cake is not suitable for Passover as written. It contains powdered sugar which contains cornstarch and should not be used. It is possible however to make your own cornstarch.

5. Roxanne

For anyone interested in another Passover cake, go check out Susan Purdy’s recipe for Mocha Sponge Cake in her book High Altitude Baking (there is a sea level version in that book as well).

The cake is simply heavenly, and it is made with potato starch instead of flour.

6. chanit

What a perfect recipe for Passover !
    I love rich flourless Chocolate Cakes like this one,I’ll try it soon,
    I love your Blog ! thanks for this post and for a wonderful+ helpful Blog !

Chanit – Israel

7. Amy Scott

You can also make your own powdered sugar by just putting it in the food processor and let it run until it is the right consistency and it doesn’t require cornstarch.

Then this would be passover friendly indeed if you are observing.

8. Rivka

As Sharlyne writes regular confectioner’s sugar does contains corm starch which is not permissible during Passover, however there asre to companies that manufature potato starch based confectioners sugar for the Passover holiday; Haddar amd Mishpacha. If you are living in an area with a kosher supermarket you may be able to buy it there or request it for next year.
    To make your own confectioner’s sugar you can combine sugar and potato starch in a blender. Place a cup of sugar minus one tablespoon into a blender (or a food processor) and add one tablespoon of potato starch. Pulse. It yields a cup of Passover confectioners’ sugar. It will be more grainy than the regular product but it works fairly well as a stand in for some recipes.

9. Abby

What function does the starch in the confectioners’ sugar actually perform in this recipe? I was going to just grind up some granulated sugar, as Amy suggested above, without bothering with potato starch. But if it serves an important function, I’ll go get some potato starch.

Abby, stay tuned, I’m going to make this cake tomorrow morning by grinding up regular sugar. I think it’ll be fine; the cornstarch would have lent a slight bit of structure and “body,” but I think the eggs will stand in just fine.

11. Sarah M-S

Dan’s birthday falls on Saturday and I’ve been looking around for a good cake to make that we can bring to the seder that night. Thanks!

12. Michelle

What were the measurements for the confectioner’s sugar and vanilla in the original recipe? I wanted to try it as it was posted originally.

Also, did the consistency of the cake change with the granulated vs. the confectioner’s sugar?

Thanks!

13. Halley

I have to publish an apology to P.J. I’m the Jewish woman who sits next to her, who urged her to write a Passover recipe, and who thought the ingredients were suitable… Thanks to everyone for their comments and guidance. I would have never known that cornstarch was on the list of forbidden ingredients.

The downside of all of this is that P.J. had to rebake the recipe this morning, using just regular granulated sugar, no vanilla, and I had the terrible job of needing to taste the results. Delicious! I’ll definitely be baking one this Saturday.

14. PJ Hamel

Michelle, originally the recipe called for 1/2 cup granulated sugar + 1/2 cup confectioners’ sugar. Plus 2 teaspoons vanilla in the cake, and 1 teaspoon vanilla in the icing. I didn’t notice any change in consistency in the cake with the substitution of 100% granulated sugar; I think the chocolate and eggs are the main players, structure-wise, so banishing the small amount of cornstarch (in the confectioners’ sugar) didn’t hurt anything.

15. Deanna

About the flourless chcolate cake, you can now buy confectioners’ sugar that is kosher for passover (has no cornstarch). Also see Maida Heatter’s Book of Great Chocolate Desserts for her Queen Mother’s Cake which uses ground almonds. Wonderful! You can also find it online at http://www.caderbooks.com/exmcake.html

16. Ronald Roth

The butter in the cake is not eaten on Passover if there is meat served for dinner (including fowl)….no mixing of meat and milk, remember?

17. Leslie G-M

Cornstarch is added to confectioners’ sugar to prevent it from lumping, I’ve been told. Superfine sugar can be whirled in the blender until it’s even finer, if kosher-for-Passover confectioners’ sugar isn’t available.

If you have access to certified Passover food, such markets usually sell granulated sugar infused with vanillin. It’s the only time of the year I use artificial vanilla, but vanillin sugar passes muster in any flavorful Passover dessert, especially one with chocolate! The Nielsen-Massey pure vanilla paste available from KA and elsewhere appears to contain no alcohol–forbidden during Passover, except for kosher-for-Passover wines–but alas! I just checked the label, and this paste contains a bit of vanilla extract, which means there’s alcohol there after all.

Corn (and cornstarch) is one of the five grains forbidden in their everyday form during Passover. The others are wheat (other than that which is processed under strict, complex standards to make matzo, matzo meal, matzo cake meal, etc.), barley, oats, and spelt. So that’s why Passover baking recipes may call for potato starch and/or ground nuts.

When my sons were little, I bought two pounds of whole spelt from The Baker’s Catalogue to give to the heads of the Jewish nursery school and day school that they attended, and before the holiday they showed this ancient grain around to their students. Hardly any of the grown-ups had ever seen it, either–thanks, KA!

Passover is a time when those of us who are Jewish and who bake frequently must change our ways completely for eight days. Thanks for helping us with new and delightful dishes for the holiday. Marcy Goldman’s book, “A Treasury of Jewish Holiday Baking,” has a chapter on Passover, and it’s a batter-splattered volume to which I turn all year ’round. Now that Deanna mentions it, though, I’ll have to make that Queen Mother’s Cake again!

18. C McBride

Yum! I am gluten-intolerant and always looking for wheat, barley, rye, and oat-free baking recipes to try out.

19. Steve

Passover is the holiday that reminds Jews that onece they were slaves in the land of Egypt and then they left. to wander in the desert for 40 years. Then they travelled to the land an they now know as Israel..

20. Linda

You might also add to turn the ink/pencil/marker side down in the cake pan. Most folks know that but the newer bakers may not think about it. We don’t want marker “ick” in our cake. Looks like a wonderful recipe. I have one co-worker who gets a flourless chocolate cake on her birthday. This one will definitely be the next one to try. Thanks for the blog–it’s really been fun to read and of course the recipes are wonderful to add to my collection!

21. Margie

Okay, I’m pretty sure this recipe is illegal in my county, but who is going to tell one me?
    I opted for bittersweet chips (the only ones I had on hand), and used only one teaspoon of expresso powder. But I didn’t stop there. I added a bit of vanilla and a bit of orange flavoring, oh, and 1/4 teaspoon of cinnamon. My spices and flavorings were dialing my number and I had to answer the call.
    After the mayhem I emailed the recipe (AND, your step-by-step instructions. .. KUDOS and THANKS!) to my family and friends. This will be the sweetest email they receive today.

22. Lee

The foods that are forbidden at Passover vary with the branch of Judaism one favors. Everyone eschews wheat (except for matzo), rye, oats, barley and spelt. Not everyone avoids corn, rice, and legumes.

23. sharron jordan

The recipe says 1cup-6 oz. chocolate chips. Isn’t 6oz. 3/4 of a cup? Please clarify. Thank you. I want to make it this weekend for guests, no practice time.

Sharon, 1 cup of chocolate chips = 6 ounces. 1 cup of liquid is 8 ounces; perhaps that’s where your confusion lies? Best of luck for the cake this weekend.

25. diana

Delicious cake!!! Very moist and I mixed everything by hand. Also, I baked it for about 20 minutes. It was a hit.

26. carmel

this was the easiest chocolate cake I’ve ever made. I used a springform pan and it was super easy to remove the cake after baking.

Also, I was running late and ended up icing it while still hot–I got good reviews (no one ever really complains about cake being still oven-warm!) but I thought the icing and cake was much better after an overnight in the fridge. So, it definitely can be made ahead.

Thanks for your wonderful posts! Keep ‘em coming!

27. Abby

I put my daughter on the task of making this cake, and for whatever reason, it needed a lot more time baking than it got, because our result was a barely thickened batter. Also, kosher-for-Passover chocolate is pretty low quality, and it produced a grainy ganache. I did not love the result, so I dumped the baked and iced cake back into a bowl and recombined it with maybe a half cup of ground almonds. I baked it again in a cake pan lined with waxed paper for about an hour at 350. That’s a dangerous thing to do to chocolate, which burns easily, but actually the slightly burned bottom enhanced the chocolate-y taste with a bit of caramelizing and added a chewy texture, which one doesn’t find too often in kosher-for-Passover baked goods. It’s like a really rich, chewy brownie.

28. N F

I made this recipe in the 7″ pan and achieved the perfect height (in my opinion). Had no baking time issues.

29. Penny

I made the cake for my family and everyone loved it. I was a little worried that it was overdone as I was baking at my father’s house and the oven seemed very hot. It all worked out though! I think I would use a 7′ pan in future to increase the height.

30. Anne

I know this is a little late for Passover, but it might come in handy for next year….
    Why not replace the sugar and the vanilla with vanilla sugar? There is no alcohol and you can make it easily at home with some vanilla beans, some sugar and some time in the pantry.

31. Evelyn

I made the cake for passover. It was dense, rich in chocolate and delicious.I think a little less sugar would also suffice. I used half sugar and half Splenda. The chocolate ganache was delicious. A very small piece is all anyone needed.

32. non

ashkenazi jews have the custom to avoid corn on passover, but sephardic jews (from middleeastern countries) do not.
    great blog!

33. Shoshana Ziskind

It’s a little early for Passover, but I’m curious is it possible to make this with extra light olive oil instead of margarine? A lot of people use margarine but while I do use cocoa powder and chocolate chips I don’t use margarine on Passover. I do use a recipe that remarkably uses only eggs (separated), cocoa powder, salt, oil and not much else but it’s a little, errm, interesting the result. I don’t use canola oil because it’s something observant Eastern European Jews don’t use that on Passover. Yes. This is meant to be confusing because it is! :) )

OK – consider me TOTALLY confused! And all I can say about light olive oil is, give it a try and let us know…- PJH

34. Erika

I’m interested in trying this with a neutral-flavored oil instead of solid shortening, too. Will anyone who has tried making such a version let us know how it worked? If I do it first, I’ll return the favor. Thanks!

35. Shoshana Ziskind

Shortly after I posted last I made the cake mostly regular (no espresso powder and marg. for the butter and no glaze as it had to be nondairy) for a birthday get-together and just this past Shabbat I tried it again with the light olive oil. It had been awhile since the first try but I couldn’t tell a difference. It was moist, fudgy and rich and I can’t believe it’s kosher for for me to eat on Passover!
    Thanks a lot!

36. Tonia

I’ve made this cake (or similar) for years and the original recipe did have flour, but I substituted sifted cocoa powder. Also, I beat the eggs and sugar together until light and fluffy, add cocoa powder, then fold into the melted butter/chocolate mixture. I also serve with a raspberry sauce or fresh raspberries that’ve been macerated in raspberry liquor(sp?) and sugar.
    PS: why is vanilla not kosher? just curious.

Kosher for Passover = no alcohol. Some kosher bakers who made this recipe used vanilla flavored sugar or vanilla bean paste. Thanks for sharing your techique and delicious sauce. Irene @ KAF

37. chinchillalover

This was amazing.I tried this again but put them in this square single serving pan and drizzled them with the glaze and almonds vielen dank for yet ANOTHER amazing recipe chinchillalover

38. chinchillalover

I found a pretty good substitution for heavy cream. c 1/3 cup butter(REAL butter) 3/4 cup milk 1 1/2 tsp cornstarch

39. chinchillalover

I LOVE THIS RECIPE!!You have never EVER tasted real chocolate till you have tasted ganache vielen dank FOR YET ANOTHER GREAT RECIPE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

40. calacci

As a company that makes AMAZING gluten free (aka, no “flour”) mixes, I am a little disappointed in the start of this post…that said, this is also a gluten free yumminess and one of my all time favorites!!! And now I want some. But it’s 9 pm on a Thursday night. Sigh.

Sorry you didn’t like the beginning, but I hope you’re able to enjoy the sweet ending, B! PJH

41. Melissa

Thanks for posting a Passover recipe. It is impossible to please everyone, especially when it comes to K4P because the traditions vary, and I am so impressed and pleased that you tried. The field adjustments and refinements by very capable and loyal home bakers are so fun to read. I like the experimentation and outside-the-boring-boxed-mix thinking I’ve seen on this blog. So often Passover (or parve) recipes try to replicate something else instead of being an amazing creation in it own right that anyone would think is tasty any other time of year. Keep the recipes coming… (btw, KAF is the only brand of flour I use in my Shabbat challah recipes and is used in all of my challah demonstrations and lessons the rest of the year.)
    Thank you so much for the kind comments and encouragement. ~Amy

42. madreddog

I was definitely not looking forward to a sponge cake and fruit. Thx for the great recipe and will let you know how the family liked it. Hope you have a good Easter.

43. linda614

I wish people would stop adding espresso or coffee to chocolate. Not needed if you use really good chocolate. … I can’t have coffee in any way shape or form. I’ve had to stop eating chocolate for dessert at restaurants unless I can confirm they did not use coffee/espresso in their dessert. :-(
    This recipe is certainly doable without the powder- give it a try! ~Amy

44. Judee

I just made this recipe with unrefined coconut oil instead of butter. It came out excellent! The cake can be dairy free if you use coconut oil instead of butter and make sure your chocolate does not have any milk in it. I put raspberry jam on the top instead of the ganache and it was delicious.

45. Marie

Shoshana, I have made chocolate cake with pure extra-virgin olive oil and I used the recipe on the Hershey’s Unsweetened Cocoa Powder container. (I made my cake eggless by substituting yoghurt for the eggs). The taste? Couldn’t tell any difference from using olive oil instead of my usual sunflower oil. I think you can try the olive oil for your flourless cake.

I love the combination of olive oil and chocolate, although some people are more sensitive to it (and it largely depends on the quality/flavors of the olive oil you use!), but great ideas, Marie! Kim@KAF

46. deeskott

If you do not use vanilla on Passover, you can make vanilla sugar by splitting a vanilla bean (permitted) and adding it and the seeds to some sugar. Give it a good shake and store it in a pantry/cabinet. Then when you need it for baking simply substitute some of the vanilla sugar for the regular sugar.

47. Phyllis Bent

I have been making this exact recipe for the past two years. It is absolutely delicious! I am a glueten free girl and I prepare this cake for my family at least 4 times each year. It is my favorite birthday cake and will remain in the #1 spot on my list for many years to come. It is very easy to make, do not be afraid of this what so ever. Bake at a lower temperature to insure that it does not get too dark.

I have also substituted Stevia sugar for the regular sugar. Stevia will tend to brown quickly so make extra sure you decrease oven temp by 25 to 30 degrees if you choose to use Stevia. Also, omit adding salt when using Stevia as it naturally has a salty flavor. Enjoy!
    Thanks for sharing your tips Phyllis. It is always helpful to hear from someone who has “been there, done that”. Happy baking! ~ MaryJane

48. CeeKayEllEmm

Is there calorie/fat/etc… listings per serving for this recipe? If so, I seem to be missing seeing them. Thanks.

BTW — It IS a delicious cake!
    Hi there,
    We don’t currently have nutritional information on all of our recipes online, but it is something we do hope to offer in the future. ~ MJ

49. Anna Jem

Hi,
    I was wondering Could use instant coffee or kahlua to the mix instead of espresso?
    And would the measurements be the same?

Sure, Anna – actually, I’d dissolve a teaspoon of instant coffee in a teaspoon of Kahlua, since you have both. I think that would be tasty! :) PJH

You can indeed, Stephanie – but I’d cut it back to 1/3 cup, to make up for its thinner consistency. Enjoy – PJH

You could keep the recipe the same but check for doneness a little sooner than what the recipe suggests (check after 21 – 22 minutes). Enjoy! Elisabeth@KAF

50. elisssabeth

Powdered sugar with tapioca starch instead of corn starch is available at Trader Joe’s and places like Whole Foods, if this is suitable for Passover. Or, if you have a super-blender like a Vitamix (with the DRY ingredient container) makes powdered sugar out of regular sugar in a jiffy, no starch needed! (The corn/tapioca starch is there to keep it from clumping while it sits on the store shelf)
    -A corn-allergic shiksa

Thanks so much for sharing here – good to know, for those many people out there with allergies. PJH

51. Alma

At our New Year’s dinner this year I decided to bake your flourless chocolate cake for dessert. Well, I used bittersweet chocolate for the chips also used espresso powder making this cake REALLY chocolaty. Not thinking my two grandsons ages 7 and 5 would eat it at all. I cut the cake into sixteen slices because it is so rich. They each ate TWO pieces. Lucky for me, I sent them home with their parents. The cake really is the best and fastest cake I have ever baked. Never have had a failure with it. Thanks, and Happy New Year

Alma, I agree, I wouldn’t think little boys would go for such a dark chocolate cake – they’re developing their gourmet palates early, I guess! Thanks for sharing here, and Happy new year to you, too – PJH

52. Jonathan Frishtick

This is my go to choc dessert recipe for Passover. Haven’t tried it with pareve margarine yet for both the cake and the glaze but it should work. You can also try the yummy KAF Choclate Water Glaze:

After the glazing has set up a bit, apply sliced almonds to the cake sides and decorate with a small almond flower petal design at the cake’s top center.

Chag sameach!

Thank you for the great recipe tip Jonathon! Hope to see you in the classroom soon. Elisabeth@KAF

53. Sandra Roth

This flourless chocolate cake is the absolute best! Thanks to the KAF staff I made it this morning, brought it to an early Passover dinner with my family today – which was the only day we could all get together – even though Passover starts tomorrow night. There were only a few crumbs left when we finished. Easy to make and delicious to eat.

54. Anne

This cake looks FAB! I live at 7800′ in Colorado. Since there are no leavening agents, would it be OK to make as is with no adjustments for the high altitude? Any suggestions would be welcome! LOVE, LOVE, LOVE KAF!!!

Unfortunately, we haven’t tested this recipe at high altitude. You might call the Colorado State University Extension Resource Center toll free at 877.692.9358. ~Jaydl@KAF

55. Karen

Trying this to take to a sedar tonight. The batter is delicious! Cannot wait to eat the cake. Would love an alternative icing recipe, one that is non-dairy.

1. Catie

Is there any reason, when making the glaze that an almond, rice or soy milk not be used? Would the fat be an issue that could be resolved by adding a full fat, parve margarine, a tablespoon or so?

Have tried these various options when baking for special diets of friends, so hopefully one might work here.
      Happy Passover to all!
      Catie

Catie, good question – I think it would just be a matter of ascertaining how much of one of those milks. I’d suggest you make a small amount as a test, using less milk; maybe try 1/4 cup chocolate chips and 1 1/2 tablespoons milk. Make it and let it set; is it the consistency you like? If so, then simply scale those amounts up, and you should be all set. Good luck, and Happy Passover to you, too! PJH

56. Rose Sinning

I am wondering if I can double the cake recipe and bake it in a 10 inch round aluminum cake pan? I would love to make this for Easter tomorrow…but don’t own an 8 inch pan…the family is too big for that size! Thanks for your help!

Rose, my math tells me you can’t double it for a 10″ pan, but you can increase by 50% – and you’ll probably have to bake a bit longer, OK? Good luck – PJH