Hot DOG! This bun pan does double duty.

What does this…

Have in common with this?

Stumped?

They’re both baked in this interesting pan.

Our New England hotdog bun pan bakes those classic “whitewall” buns – you know, the kind Howard Johnson’s used to spread with butter, slap on the grill, and fill with fried clams or a grilled hotdog.

But that’s not all this pan does. As we discovered this week, it also makes cake buns – perfect for filling with fruit and whipped cream, or ice cream and sauce, or… name your favorite sweet indulgence.

OK, we can’t have dessert till after supper. So let’s hop right into a recipe for New England Hotdog Buns.

Put the following in a mixing bowl:

3 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
2 teaspoons instant yeast
2 tablespoons sugar or non-diastatic malt powder
1/4 cup Baker’s Special Dry Milk or nonfat dry milk
1/4 cup (1 1/2 ounces) potato flour or 2/3 cup instant mashed potato flakes
2 tablespoons King Arthur Cake Enhancer, optional, for enhanced freshness
1 1/2 teaspoons salt

So what’s that white powder in the picture? Our new Cake Enhancer, which we’ve recently discovered not only makes cakes moist and tender – it does the same thing for soft buns and breads.

Add the following to the dry ingredients:

2 tablespoons soft butter
1 large egg
7/8 cup to 1 1/8 cups lukewarm water*

*Use the greater amount in winter or in a dry climate; the lesser amount in summer or a humid climate. At this time of year (early summer), you’d probably want to start with 7/8 cup, increasing to 1 cup if the dough seems too stiff and dry.

Beat till the ingredients come together to form a rough dough.

Then knead to make a soft, smooth dough.

I used 1 cup of water here; in retrospect, I should have used 7/8 cup.

But that’s OK; I’ll just scrape the sticky dough off the sides of the bowl, knead it a bit more…

And Bob’s your uncle! A nice, smooth dough.

(But I still should have gone with the 7/8 cup water, at this time of the year…)

Into my handy-dandy measuring cup, so I can track the dough as it rises…

…and 90 minutes later, shazam! Look at that dough go!

Next, grease your hotdog bun pan.

Gently deflate the dough, and press it into the pan. You probably won’t be able to press it all the way to the ends; that’s OK.

Cover the pan, and walk away.

Fifteen minutes later, come back. You’ll be able to press the dough right to the ends easily.

How come? Because you’ve given the gluten a chance to relax.

Now, how much are we going to let this dough rise, to ensure the buns fill the pan, yet don’t overflow?

Our goal is to let the dough rise till it’s about 1/2” from the rim of the pan.

Cover the pan with lightly greased plastic wrap, and let the dough rise for 45 to 60 minutes.

While the dough is rising, preheat your oven to 375°F.

Whoops – let it go a bit too long. Well, let’s see what happens.

Grease a baking sheet, one that’s large enough to cover the hotdog bun pan. A half-sheet pan works well.

Put the pan over the hotdog bun pan, to provide a roof for the rising buns. Weigh it down with something oven-safe and heavy – like the cast-iron skillet I’ve used here.

Bake the buns for 18 minutes.

Remove the weight and pan. Nice! Notice on the right, how the buns have risen a tiny bit over the rim of the pan. Better they should have stayed level, but this isn’t a deal-breaker…

Test the interior of the buns with an instant-read thermometer; they should be at least 190°F. If not, bake a bit longer.

Remove the buns from the oven…

…and turn them out onto a rack.

Allow them to cool completely.

Now, pay attention, class. You’re going to slice each bun down the center, but not all the way.

Leave a “hinge” at the bottom.

Next, slice into individual buns. See how this works? You’re getting the picture here, right?

Buns, ready to butter and grill!

Like this. Perfect for hotdogs, chicken salad… or our New England favorite, lobster salad.

So, why didn’t I photograph lobster salad in the bun? King Arthur is an employee-owned company; we watch our spending VERY carefully, and prop lobster was too expensive. Use your imagination, OK?

Next up: cake buns!

So, I’m thinking I should choose a cake recipe that’s good for a 9” x 13” pan – but not one that’s going to fill the pan too full.

I measure the hotdog bun pan – 5 cups of cake batter would be perfect.

I make the batter for my favorite fudge cake, and measure it – holy mackerel, 5 cups exactly!

Pour it into the greased pan. Put it in a preheated 350°F oven.

Bake for 33 minutes.

Ah, perfect!

Cool; slice into “buns.”

Add a sliced banana, whipped cream, jimmies, and a cherry (of course).

Trust me, I had to fend off my test kitchen colleagues, customer service reps, and anyone who catches a glimpse of these “portable banana splits” on their way to being photographed!

Read, rate, and review (please) our recipe for New England Hotdog Buns.

P.S. Can you bake these buns without this pan? No, not exactly. But you can certainly divide the dough into 10 pieces, shape them into logs, let rise, and bake, for traditional side-split hotdog buns. OR – try in a 9” x 13” pan, with a weighted pan on top.

Hey, this just in: MJ tested our gluten-free bread mix in the hotdog bun pan (photo above). Score! Betting our GF sandwich bread recipe would work, too…

comments

1. Christine B

COOL! Ok, I need one of these pans….those buns and cake buns look fantastic!!

And I love that you call those little chocolate sprinkly things ‘jimmies’!! I grew up in NY state calling them that, and down here in VA, everyone looks at me funny when I don’t call them ‘sprinkles’. :)

“Sprinkles?” That’s what we called the multicolored ones, right? I think jJimmies were always chocolate… Funny the regional differences. LIke – sub, grinder, hoagie, Italian, po’ boy… :) PJH

2. Teresa

Now that’s genius! I can see a yellow or vanilla cake ‘bun’ with macerated strawberries and lots of whipped cream! Mmm…

Great minds think alike… so we must all be great minds! PJH

3. Kristen

This pan is definitely going on my “I want one” list. I can see making yellow cake and stuffing it with strawberries and cream or a pistachio mousse. Or maybe a pumpkin cake with a cream cheese filling & nuts. Yes, this is something I want in my kitchen!

Strawberries & cream was JUST what I was thinking too, Kristen. :) PJH

4. Danièle C.

I saw this pan a few months back and thought, “no, that is just too specific a pan to justify owning at this point in time (and pantry space)” but now you’ve gone and baked cake in it?!?

*sigh* One more item added to my KAF wish list. Your brilliance and creativity are KILLING my attempts at keeping the number of my kitchen gadgets down to a minimum (how many times can I hear my husband say “you’re really a right-tool-for-the-job kind of lady, aren’t you?”)!

Stinking brilliant, these are…

Heh heh heh… Danièle, that’s what I thought, too. “I DO NOT buy single-use pans.” But standing there looking at it, I thought, OK, there HAS to be something else this pan can do. Indeed. Couldn’t believe it was the exact right size for a cake recipe. If I’d had time the next one was going to be golden cake, strawberries and cream – a portable strawberry shortcake! :) PJH

5. Cindy Leigh

OK PJ, you wicked, wicked woman! You’re killing my diet!!
    Seriously, I HAVE that bun pan, and it’s a winner. I use one of your hamburger bun recipes for it- it’s a winner too. Can’t remember the specific name, but it’s got butter and an egg in it, and I use honey instead of sugar, and add a couple of tbsp of potato flakes. Delicious.

I’ve got family coming (parents, along with son in grad school in CA and his new girlfriend-hah! No pressure there!). Having some folks over for a pinic while they’re home, and this would be a perfect dessert. Hmmm, I just made some chocolate covered cherry ice cream (OK, Ice Milk, another ancient term), and maybe that would be a good filling.

Another thing I was toying with using that bun pan for is healthier corn dogs. I might try mixing up corn bread, and adding cooked, cooled hot dogs in the center of each bun, baking and then slicing apart. Maybe grilling the sides. Have you ever tried that??

Cindy, the corndog idea sounds BRILLIANT! See how, when we all put our heads together, we come up with these great ideas? Love it! I’d think dogs should be cooked first, then set on top – and they’d sink down into the batter as the whole thing bakes? What if we used a blitz bread yeast dough – batter-type dough – poured half into the pan, added, oh, coldcuts or pepperoni/cheese, then topped with more dough and baked, then just sliced buns apart without cutting the top opening. I’m seeing a whole new world of possibilities here. As for ice cream – make sure it’s soft. The cake isn’t strong enough to deal well with stuffing something hard into it. I tried softened ice cream, and it was fine. But rock-hard was kind of a battle; didn’t sit right. THANKS, Cindy, as always. – PJH

6. Jennifer

ah, but the trouble is that with a family of 10, I need at least four of these pans!!!! I guess I’ll start with two and save for the other two ;)
    Oh and on the hard ice cream… use a small scoop, like a melon baller size ice cream/cookie batter scoop and put small scoops down the middle! YUM!
    Great idea. I use my small cookie scoop for serving more than one kind of ice cream per person, so I’m totally into this. Thanks for sharing. ~ MaryJane

7. Sarah

I’m imagining my nice whole-wheat oatmeal bread with curried chicken salad… Well, why not use these rolls to make varieties of soft breads and use with any favorite sandwich combination? BLT on oatmeal, tuna salad on white…I gotta get one of those pans… Make it two – these rolls will DISAPPEAR. OK, I’m going shopping.

I’ve been baking my own bread for decades (using ONLY KAF), but I discovered Baker’s Banter only recently — oh boy, I’ve been having fun! And my family is enjoying even MORE healthy home baked bread. Thanks so much, KAF, for this wonderful resource, and thanks, readers and responders for sharing your experiences, questions, and ideas. What a great community!!

Off to make biscuits for shortcake… just bought 3 lb. strawberries.

Thanks for joining in Sarah. Glad you found us and hope to see you here often. ~ MaryJane

8. Kelly

Oh these look awesome! I am moving soon and we are already talking about all the parties we will be able to have in our nice new back yard…so now obviously this needs to be on the “new house wish list” for our BBQs!

9. SoupAddict Karen

What would I do without you guys? I completely forgot to order this pan last week … thank you for saving me from myself! It’s really hard to find New England style buns here, so I have to make them myself. Somehow, lobster rolls (or, in my cheapo case, lobster/monk fish rolls) just taste better with butter-grilled, top-split buns!
    Ummm, doesn’t everything taste better in butter grilled top split buns? Personally, I love the tuna melt approach with a big bowl of tomato soup. ~ MaryJane

10. Cheryl

I certainly appreciate the pictures for the hot dog buns. I made the buns last week and was very satisfied with the outcome except for the fact some of my buns stuck to the sheet pan. Your reply was to spritz and parchment paper before placing the pan on top of the buns. Being a New Englander and living in Georgia was a wake up call when I couldn’t have a decent hot dog without a toasted bun. I gave up hot dogs when I went to a cookout. Can this recipe be made and refrigerated overnight?
    What bread yeast recipe would you use for the idea listed above?
    The recipe in the blog can be made overnight, just put the dough in the pan, cover and place in the fridge until the next morning. Bake the buns and they’ll be fresh for the BBQ. Delish! ~ MaryJane

11. Judith

What about cream puff dough? I’m seeing eclairs, etc. Would that work?
    I think choux paste for eclairs would be too sticky and trying to get them apart would be a bear. I’d stick with piping eclairs individually. ~ MaryJane

12. Hannah B.

How about a portable Boston cream pie? (my favorite)Make them with yellow cake, frost the top with chocolate icing, and stuff the middle with vanilla custard. Yum!

Oh, yes, Hannah! I’m there… PJH

13. Nanette

Is there any hope for those of us that are GF (gluten-free)?
    I would love to be able to have these on hand for the
    summer BQ. Can they be frozen? Thanks!

See answer to Dale, Nanette -next comment down. Cheers – PJH

14. Dale Anne

This looks really yummy and easy to make. Do you have a gluten free recipe that can be used for the hotdog buns? How fantastic would that be, to make gluten free hotdog buns that taste yummy!

As long as we’re talking gluten free, a nice recipe for the “cake” buns would also be fantastic! Thanks.
    We’ll certainly add both to the gluten free wish list. ~ MaryJane

15. Linda

I’m inspired by the creativity re: using this pan (which I’ve had for years and LOVE) for sweet treats. At the risk of incurring the ire of some die-hard New Englanders (I used to be one) I am going to use the KA Whoopie Pie recipe in the bun pan, and then when the chocolate “buns” are cooled, fill them with Whoopie Pie filling.

You go, girl – sounds like a plan to me. I LOVE LOVE LOVE whoopies… :) PJH

16. Jeanna

I love breakfast and that pan would be perfect for scrambled eggs and bacon in one of those buns! That is far more portable than the fast food English muffin sandwich.

Oh, YES, Jeanna – another great idea! PJH

17. BellesAZ

Simply marvelous! And wonderful! Living out west all my life, I’ve never seen a hot dog bun like this before – OK all you easterners.. you can stop laughing now. I must get this pan in my shopping cart. Curses to you King Arthur Flour.. quit forcing me to spend my husband’s paycheck. Mwahahaha!

PS What I wouldn’t give for a New England Lobster roll.. anyone have an easy recipe??

Easy lobster roll recipe – you mean, one where you don’t have to go haul the trap, fish out the lobster, bring it home, chop some firewood, then heat up the big pot on the wood stove…? How about, cooked lobster with enough mayo to hold it together, salt and a touch of pepper to taste? That’s all there is to it in Maine, where I lived for 14 years… PJH

18. Penny

PJ, you are brilliant! No wonder they pay you the big bucks – you can take a pan that I really thought of as one-use and make it seem completely necessary to my kitchen! You are the reason I check this blog every single day! Keep on doing your thing!

Thanks, Penny. :) PJH

19. Jill

Ok, I must be one of those great minds, ’cause while I was reading this I thought of the strawberry shortcake-ish idea too! And the corndog idea sounds great. I have little kids and I think they would like “homemade” corndogs (even if they would be sort of square and not have a stick). The individual Italian stromboli sound yummy. Always full of good ideas, you people at KA are!

Jill, our customers and readers have SO many good ideas… all we have to do is open our ears and listen! Thanks for connecting here – PJH

20. Gina

Isn’t it possible to make hot dog buns without all those weird ingredients?

Sure, Gina, do whatever you like; you probably have your own favorite soft roll recipe. I’m curious, though – which ingredients do you think are weird? Dry milk? Potato flakes? Anything else “weird,” we give a substitution for, or make it optional, just for that reason – we don’t want to have anyone feel that they can’t make our recipes. Both potato and milk add extra moistness and tenderness, but you can always leave them out… PJH

21. Louise Heerschap

Well, I tried this pan this morning for the first time. I had been looking for this type hotdog buns and no one knew what I was talking about. We just finished lunch and I have to tell you Hotdogs are not my favorite food but the bun … the bun made the meal! While I was mixing the recipe this morning, I got to the soft dough part and wondered how soft or sticky the dough should be. Stopped and checked for a video finding none I guessed at the consistency. Then much to my surprise the email with link to your pictures arrived. I appreciate being able to see the steps. This is one great pan! … and recipe … and yes I too was thinking of other things that could be baked in it.
    Glad to hear you had a good time with the pan. Be sure to keep in touch about any other fantastic variations you come up with. ~ MaryJane

22. Jean P

Hi,
    This looks like a great idea, but alas, I am also not able to expend much for single or even double use pans. Would it work with a regular bread pan that is just filled part way ? Then sliced like you show ? Maybe it wouldn’t be wide enough for the hotdog though, hmmm. If we cut the ends off the hot dog, it would make them lower fat hotdogs : )
    Keep up the great work and ideas !!!

The nice thing about the bun pan is, it’s the right size for hotdogs; no trimming needed. But you could try the bun recipe in a 9″ x 13″ pan – same technique – and just slice them crosswise to make 6 1/2″ long buns, then slice the two halves however wide you want, then cut the slit down the center. Should work – PJH

23. Cyn

That was fascinating to see how the hot dog pan works! I always wondered how the dough fit in to it, and how the actual buns are created. I’m here in the Midwest, and the split-top hot dog buns are just a really new and different concept to this gal. I love the “cake buns” and the portable banana split. Wonder if you could take homemade ice cream just as it comes out of the maker (soft-serve), and fill the cake buns. Wrap them individually, freeze, and you might have much better ice cream sandwiches than the purchased concoctions. Yum.

Like that idea, Cyn – filling with soft ice cream (and drizzling with hot fudge, methinks), then freezing. let ‘em thaw a bit before serving. Bet they’d be dynamite! Thanks for sharing – PJH

24. Ginger

I love this pan. I’ve had it for years and use it often. Like some of the posters above I wasn’t sure about a 1 use pan, but trust me you will use it often. I use the recipe that came with the pan (like the one above minus the cake enhancer) and it works great. It’s also a good recipe for hamburger buns. I must let me dough rise too much, even though I don’t think I do. It knocks the pan off every time, even when I put a cast iron skillet on it. I’ve gone to not using the pan and it works fine, the rolls are just a little rounded on top. Thanks KA for another use for this pan, I’ll give it a try.

25. Becky in Greensboro

These buns sound great. I haven’t seen anything like them since leaving MA more than 25 years ago. I’d begun to think they’d disappeared from the grocery landscape.

Hot dog note: Most commercial hot dogs come fully cooked already, therefore, they won’t need to be cooked beforehand for the corn dog recipe. Check the package to be sure.

1. CTY

Hot dogs are pre-cooked, however, they may be a bit too juicy (like what happens to those pretzel dogs sold at the mall) for the bun if they go in right from the refrigerator.

26. Anne Richard

We call them chocolate shot in CT
    Tee hee, growing up in MA, I used to think chocolate Jimmies were named after my Uncle Jimmy. :) Do you call the colored ones shot too? ~ MaryJane

27. Jeanne Elayne

I have one of those bun pans and it’s wonderful. Could you provide me with written directions without the pictures? I moved and lost the directions provided. I am now going to order another pan…all you gals are brilliant with suggestions for this pan.
    Thanks so verrrrry much!
    Just click on the recipe link in the blog and you’ll be all set to print a new copy of the recipe and directions. Enjoy!
    ~ MaryJane

28. Sherri

Mmm, what a great idea of making sweet cake buns! It would be hilarious to come up with a variant for April Fools Day that look like real hot dog buns, maybe a yellow cake of some sort. Definitely raspberry sauce for “ketchup”, but I’d have to think for a while to come up with a good faux hot dog!

I have this pan too, and I’ll have to try your recipe for the real hot dog buns sometime soon. We’re actually heading up to a cabin in Maine for a vacation next week; maybe I’ll make a batch of these the day before, and we can have homemade hotdogs while we’re away!

Oh, and for those not from New England, the split-top buns are so you have two flat sides to grill the buns (with a bit of butter, like you’d do for a grilled cheese sandwich).

How about coffee or mocha ice cream for your faux dogs? The color would probably be pretty close. ~ MaryJane

29. MaryAnn

This pan looks fantastic! Question is do you have whole wheat recipe? My husband is diabetic and white foods don’t work well for him. Thanks, MS

MaryAnn, haven’t tried this no-knead recipe in the pan, but it makes two really tasty 100% whole wheat sandwich loaves. Cut this recipe in half and try it in the pan:

7 cups (28 ounces) King Arthur Whole Wheat Flour – traditional, or white whole wheat
    1 1/2 tablespoons instant yeast
    1 tablespoon kosher salt or 2 teaspoons table salt
    1/4 cup vital wheat gluten
    1/2 cup (6 ounces) honey
    3 1/4 cups (26 ounces) lukewarm water

Stir to combine.

Cover loosely, and allow the dough to rise at cool room temperature for 2 hours. Then refrigerate it – at least overnight, or for as long as a week.

Let us know how it turns out! PJH

30. VillageCrone

OK, you twisted my arm. I bought the pan. Now my mouth is watering for all the suggestions.

Mmmmm breakfast on the buns. Mmmmm chocolate cake rolls Mmmmm LOBSTER ROLLS !!!!!!

31. Katherine

Hooray! I can’t even begin to express my disappointment the first time I decided to make a hot lobster roll (personally, I think dripping with butter is so much better than mayo – I think it’s a CT thing) out west and had to use regular buns. Never again! This is definitely my next purchase – though, it’s not so practical to turn the oven on when it’s 110 outside.

32. Claire

Can’t tell you how much I enjoy these blogs. It’s a tie between the writers/ bakers and your customers……so many wonderful, talented and generous people. It’s heartwarming. For that alone, I’m ordering this pan!!! Well, yeah, I love baking all kinds of stuff, too!

33. Linda

I love reading these comments. I made a batch of hotdog rolls tonight, and found that letting them rise only 35 minutes (after the 15 minute resting period) resulted in them not rising up out of the pan a bit. And I found the perfect weight – my Le Creuset oblong terrine, which I normally use for making pâté. The oblong shape made for more even weighting, I also used a Chicago Metallic jelly roll pan, which is heavier than many cookie sheets. This was a picture-perfect batch.

34. Alice

I’m thinking pizza pockets! A little sauce, mozzarella and pepperoni stuffed inside! Maybe a quick zap in the microwave or popped in the oven for short while. MMMMMM!

Great variation for the pan that had one use (the hot dog rolls) to start! Irene @ KAF

35. christine dewing

Yum, how about a ricotta/confec sugar mix with in season berries and topping of choice (caramel sauce?)(lemon curd?) using white cake mix? I wonder if angel food would work? It’s light but sturdy.

We fear baking the angel food cake in the hot dog pan will yield disatrous results. Remember angel food pans have high sides to allow for the expansion. Your flavor conbinations sound intriguing. Irene @ KAF

36. Lily

I’m thinking “Cream -filled Donuts” I love cream-(vanilla, not custard) filled donuts.I’m going to try as soon as I get my pan.

Let us know how your variation works out! Irene @ KAF

37. Cheryl

MaryAnn, try the “Golden Hot Dog Buns” on this site. That was the first hot dog bun recipe that I tried after receiving my pan. I did a quick search but was unable to find it. Maybe someone at KAF can find it. I kept a copy of that recipe.

Here it is! Golden Hotdog Bun RecipeIrene @ KAF

38. Julie Ball

I saw the pan and started to get sad! Why? I now live in Michigan and they do not have split top rolls and I miss them!! There is nothing better than a lobster roll in a split top roll! I see banana splits made in the cake version. Perhaps dice up the banana, small scoops of ice cream, whipped cream and toppings.

39. mary

Is there/are there a gluten free recipe(s) to use with this pan?
    If yes what are they?

Just use “Gluten Free” as the keyword when you search the recipe section. We know that our g-f bread mix and g-f chocolate cake mix will work in this one. Experiment, have fun! Frank @ KAF.

40. Lori

Is there a suitable gluten free, egg free recipe for this pan? I’m wondering if this would make a neat GF devil dog…gosh I miss wheat flour, but not the problems it gave me :)

We have not had much success with our tests when we add egg free on top of gluten free. This is one of those times where experimentation is the way to go. Frank @ KAF.

41. HMW

There is so much excitement over this pan – when can I get one. They cannot be ordered currently so when….thanks

Can’t wait to try this – chicken salad sounds great in these buns

The next shipment is expected at the end of August, around the 22nd. Hold on. Frank @ KAF.

42. JuliaJ

PJ, can you tell us what the non-diastatic malt does? I thought the dough came out a little on the sweet side–was that the malt? The dough is pretty forgiving–I had to leave for 7 hours (family emergency) after mixing the dough and stashed it in the fridge to slow down the rise. The dough rose just fine afterwards with a great crumb.

I ended up wrapping the dough around a big Polish sausage from our local farmers’ market for an after-midnight dinner… it helps to use wet fingers to smooth/shape the dough as the dough was kind of sticky (from the potato flakes??).

Thanks for all the great ideas!

Julia, non-diastatic malt is strictly a sweetener; it doesn’t do anything beyond adding sugar to the dough. So yes, that was the sweetness you were tasting. And it’s always a help, flavor-wise, to refrigerate yeast dough; the organic and acetic acids created by the fermenting yeast add great flavor. Wish I’d been there for the Polish sausage feast! PJH

43. Janice

Oh so cruel. The post was so interesting to read and learn how to make those “east coast buns”. But now there are no more pans until August. Sigh, have to eat regular west coast buns until then.
    We are soooooooooooo sorry these are no longer available. We are trying to get a firmer date as to when they will be returning to our warehouse. Stay tuned by checking our site or giving us a call, 1-800-827-6836. Elisabeth @ KAF

44. cindy leigh

I MADE THE CORNDOGS!!!
    Oh my, they were awesome! I did need to poke the dogs down- the batter did not rise up around them.
    Once the batter was in the pan, I had to guess where each hotdog should go. Next time I will take a sharpie and mark the boundaries of each bun on the top edge of the pan so I can line up the hot dog in the center.
    My son the corn dog fiend said they were awesome. Guess what he’s getting for Christmas?! A bun pan! No, that’s too far away. Guess it will be a 4th of July present?
    While my cornbread might be homemade, HE could mix up two of those blue boxes and push in 10 low fat turkey franks, bake, and voila!
    I wanted to put some spray butter on the cut sides and grill them on a flat pan, but he could not wait.
    Thank you so much for sharing your corn dog version. I’m sure many many bakers will be making it soon. ~ MaryJane

45. Linda

First – I made the choclate buns and when cooled filled withem with Whoopie Pie filling. My children (age 40 and 44!) christened them “Whoopie Dogs” and have requested them for the next festive ocasion.
    Second – As I was waiting for another batch of regular buns to cool, I happened to notice them sidewise (or perhaps end-wise is a better term).
    I chuckled as I thought that if they were separated, but not sliced on top for hot dogs, they would resemble mini-loaves. Light-bulb flash! We like to use mini-toasts for various spreads at cocktail time, and I usually buy them. When the buns were cooled, I separated 4 of them, sliced them crosswise in 1/4″ slices, put them on a cookie sheet, and toasted them lightly in the oven – 375 for about 5 minutes (give or take, and keep your eye on them). Fantastic. Next time I may spray them with an olive oil spray and put some herbs on them. At any rate, I won’t be buying mini-toasts again.
    BRILLIANT!!!!! ~ MaryJane

46. Cheryl

Irene & MaryAnn, the recipe that I was referring to was made with white whole wheat organic flour, high-maize natural fiber, etc (Golden Hotdog Buns).
    As I stated, the recipe doesn’t seem to be in the KAF archives any longer. I made that recipe approximately a month ago.

Hi folks – we pulled the recipe down, as it needs some help – it was getting terrible customer reviews. I’m putting it in the test kitchen queue to be reviewed; hopefully it’ll be back soon… PJH

OK, it’s back – re-tested, revised, and ready to make gorgeous 100% whole wheat hotdog buns. PJH

47. Ann Hall Every, CCP

Since King Arthur Flour company makes such wonderful mixes…how about a ready to use mix for these hot dog buns!

Bet our Golden Potato Yeast Bread mix would work just fine, Ann! Hey, nice to see your name again – used to read your newsletter, back when we were all still printing things rather than living in this virtual world…

48. Caroline

My husband just ordered this pan for me (along with the 8 cup measuring cup) for me. (my suggestion- but he really enjoys your catalog and wants to order everything for me!) OMG…I got lucky and got one before they sold out!!! Can’t wait to bake this weekend!

49. Linda

My only other comment, after all the great entries re: this pan, is to suggest that if the manufacturer would ever consider designing a similar pan that would produce buns that were slightly wider, it would be great. Several “designer sausages” and also 1/4 pound NY hotdogs are thicker than the standard hotdogs for which these buns were deisgned, and trying to fit them into these slim rolls often rips them open at the bottom, and takes a lot of the fun away.

Linda, try baking the same recipe in a 13″ x 9″ pan, which will give you the ability to cut them as thick as you like… PJH

50. Elaine

Just received my pan yesterday! What fun!
    I used an electric knife and a set of wooden chop sticks from my local Chinese restaurant to cut the “slit” to hinge the hot dog buns.
    I placed a pair of wooden chop sticks along each long side of my buns and “sliced” JUST TO the wooden chop sticks. Thereby assuring that I didn’t slice all of the way thru! Then sliced the buns apart with the same knife. beautiful buns. Left overs or day old is tasty for oven toasted butter and garlic….salad croutons.

Great technique for even slits or cuts in hot dog buns or other sliced items! Irene @ KAF

51. Marcie Verploeg

Similar easy technique for guides to assure even slits: I used handle section of two wooden spoons. Perfect slit depth. Wooden spoon handles probably a bit thicker than chopsticks.
    For the “roof” over the buns during baking, I wrapped my hefty cast-iron oblong griddle (smooth on one side) with non-stick aluminum foil (non-stick side out, of course). This covered top of pan perfectly, with evenly distributed weight. I’m keeping this wrapped for repeat usage, until it’s time for pancakes.

Thanks for the good tips, Marcie – PJH

52. Linda

Thanks for the suggestion, PJH. I did try that, and they didn’t rise high enough for me, and 9 was too long. I think a plain 7 x 11 might be the thing; or some pan from Europe – where they have some slightly different sizes. Like 7 x 12. I’ll check.

Ah… well, sorry it didn’t work out… PJH

53. Colleen

To make these out of cake to look like a real hot dog… use white cake for the bun, would turn golden around the edges just like a “real” hot dog bun. Roll rust colored fondant into weiners, paint with black or dark brown piping gel for the “grill marks.” Raspberry curd for ketchup, lemon curd for mustard and minced green candied cherries in green piping gel for relish.

… I have a number of 8 year old boys in my life, they love when I make food look like something else entirely…

WOW, Colleen – never would have thought of anything like this. You and MaryJane (KA’s “fancy baker”) are a great pair! Thanks for sharing – PJH

54. Ashley

Hmm, I have a question…
    Do you think that a similar process could be used in a 9” by 13′ (or 8” by 8′, cutting down the recipe’) pan? It seems that the molds job is to provide the lines for cutting, but if you just improvised and made your own lines, do you think they would turn out similarly?

This recipe looks fantastic! Thanks so much!

Yes, Ashley, I think if you do it in a 9″ x 13″ and then cut the bread in half crosswise, you’d have two 6 1/2″-wide chunks, which could then be cut into reasonable-sized rolls… PJH

55. Nancy

So bummed that this pan is sold out… will KAF ever sell it again??

Absolutely, Nancy – it’s on its way now. Just a temporary shortage, never fear. :) PJH

56. Skip Davis

I ordered this pan about 2 weeks ago and I couldn’t be happier. It is heavy weight (a pleasant surprise) and makes the 10 buns exactly as described. A beautiful and useful kitchen item.

Thanks for sharing your success, Skip – glad you like the pan… PJH

57. Sandra

Being from San Francisco, the first time seeing this hot dog bun in New Hampshire, my husband and I were totally taken by surprise. Our annual trip back East (my one-week lobster eating pig-out) takes place this September and we are stopping by the KAF store to get one since all my attempts to purchase one have failed-at present none are available. I am so looking forward to visiting the store, plan to do a lot of shopping – can’t really get rye flour out here – I wonder – would pumpernickel make a good bun? Will try it and let you know.

Looking forward to hearing the outcome, Sandra. Pumpernickel should work, though I’d think you’d want to cut it with all-purpose or bread flour, for the rise. Have fun! PJH

58. June

I have had this pan for about a year and have not purchased buns since. Although I am from the Mid-West and was not familiar with soft sided buns until I made my own with this pan, the results are so much better (and useable for guests) than my prior free-hand attempts. They almost instinctively call out for grilling. I also have your pain de mie pan. I wonder if you and/or the manufacturer could be persuaded to provide a lid for the hot dog pan similar to the pain de mie pan. I think the hot dog pan would be easier to use and the results more consistent. Please!

I will pass along your encourgement to our Merchandise Team. Frank @ KAF.

59. Debbie

I LOVE THIS IDEA and am going to have to buy the pan and try BOTH recipes ASAP! We moved to Massachusetts four years ago, and LOVE the New England Style buns … when my mom came to visit last week, she was griping about not being able to get them in Maryland … they are the BEST! And don’t worry … even without a photo, I am imagining those yummy lobster rolls NO PROBLEM! Thanks for the inspiration!! :)

And glad you found us, Debbie – Someday you’ll have to actually experience a lobster roll in person – rather than virtually! :) PJH

60. Jennifer

I was really excited about getting one of these for my birthday, but I noticed that you’re all sold out. Any word on when they will be back in stock?
    We expect these to be available again the beginning of September. Maybe a late but wonderful birthday gift? JMD@KAF

61. Charla

so, when with KAF begin selling these pans again? They are out of stock and I want one!
    Hi Charla,
    Look for the pans again in Sept/Oct. We’re working with one of our favorite vendors to have these great pans made in USA now! ~ MaryJane

62. Hotdogman

These are delicious. I made a few batches for a cookout last weekend and I got more complements on the hot dog buns than anything else! I wish I’d had an oven in my hot dog truck-I don’t know many hot dog joints that bake their own buns.

Hey, that’s great – you’re right, I don’t know of any hotdog guys, actually, that bake their own buns. This could be the coming thing, and you’re leading the way! Thanks for sharing – PJH

63. Caroline

The corndogs are in the oven right now…then I’m going to try the chocolate cake recipe…with whipped cream and strawberries!!! I love this pan (my hot dog rolls came out great too!)

64. Erin R.

Wow! What fun! I had never seen nor heard of a flat sided hotdog bun before, so of course I had to give it a try. Alas, I do not have the amazing bun pan, so I had to bumble along with an 8 inch square. I put a half batch of buttermilk rye dough into it, laid a cookie sheet and pizza stone on top, and voila! Fancypants buns! I can’t even remember the last time I ate a hotdog, but they are so darned good in these special, grilled buns that I may start buying them regularly. I’ll definitely have to give your bun recipe a try, too. Thanks for the excellent bun lesson and photographs.

Good improvisation, Erin – thanks for sharing. :) PJH

65. Rosemary L

Well, I could not wait for the pan because it was listed as “out of stock” so I made the buns anyways in a 9″ x 13″ pan. It was a disaster so I made the buns again the next day. Another disaster! The dough did not rise either time. I was so discouaged. A few weeks later, my husband decided that he would try the recipe. By this time we had the pan. The buns were very good but they were dense. They really weren’t as light and fluffy as I expected. What are we doing wrong? By the way, the pictures in the directions are great as I am a visual learner. We did cut the buns correctly thanks to the pictures.
    If the buns are coming out heavy, it’s probably too much flour in the dough. Be sure to fluff up your flour and sprinkle it into the cup then level off. Scooping the flour will pack too much in, and cause a dry dough and dry, heavy baked goods. Hope this helps. ~ MaryJane

66. Bruce Hall

Hi,

Can I use this pan to make regular style hot dog buns?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Bruce, you could make little tiny ones, by stretching the dough into the grooves; the reason I say tiny is, if you put the normal amount of dough in the pan, they’ll make white-side (New England-style) buns, not classic buns. If you want golden crust top and bottom, your better bet would be to simply shape the rolls by half and bake them on a baking sheet… PJH

67. marietta

I am interested getting a yellow cake recipe to use with the hot dog pan.
    Can you recommend a recipe? Strawberry season is upon us.

Sorry, I didn’t test this with a yellow cake. You’d be looking for a cake recipe that uses 2 cups of flour; so check your favorites and see if any qualify. You might try just the cake part (no frosting) from our Lazy Daisy Cake, doubling the recipe… no guarantees, but it would produce the “strudy” cake you’re looking for, one that would slice easily. Good luck – PJH

68. lisaeliz

Comment for marietta – just tried it with KAF’s Vanilla Pound Cake from their All Purpose Cookbook (baked for 25 mins instead of 45), and it worked extremely well! It called for just under 2 cups of flour. It didn’t rise over the top; I did not put a top on it since it was a cake. Grilled it briefly on both sides, brushed on some lemon syrup/butter I had left over in the fridge, sliced strawberries down the middle…incredible! Spring is definitely here now ;)

Look forward to trying it with regular yeast bread and the cornbread, too. I’m from the South, have never seen rolls like this, but it looks brilliant!

Thanks for sharing your pound cake results, Lisa – every helpful! PJH

69. dmoore1

I made the ‘devil dogs’ as a reward for elementary students who participated in a reading program. I filled them with whoopie pie cream and suffice it to say, I didn’t have any left over! Now the students want me to make them for the fifth grade graduation. This is a terrific dessert item. Thanks so much!!

So glad these were a hit with the kids – and thanks for all you do as a teacher. Best wishes from a former Mainer- PJH

70. Ann M

Has anyone tried brownies? Would taste great if it works.

Don’t see why not, Ann – you’d just have to figure out the baking time the first time you tried it. Let us know if you do – I’m sure others would love to hear your results. PJH

71. nascarchamptstewart

Not until the past couple of years had I ever seen hotdog buns like this. I guess I’ve just been a sheltered Kentucky gal. :) Unless I’ve missed it, I didn’t see anyone ask about using sour dough in this pan. Would that be yummy?

Although sourdoughs usually associated with crusty rather than soft breads, I don’t see why not – substitute a cup of fed sourdough for 1 cup of the flour and 1/2 cup of the liquid in the recipe, and it should work out just fine. Good idea! PJH

72. Gene

We live at altitude, approx 6000 ft … I followed the recipe for New England Hot Dog buns … tasted great, but dough was ‘heavy’, not light as I had anticipated. Is there a high altitude adjustment for this recipe?

On the recipe page, scroll down to find the link to the “high-altitude baking”. This will provide the tips and tricks you need for lighter rolls at your elevation. Happy Baking! Irene @ KAF

73. edcavie

OMG, I look at my hot dog pan and wish I had more uses for it. After reading some of these blogs I don’t know where to begin!! Pumpkin cake with cream cheese filling, strawberry shortcake, one of my many whoopie pie recipes, or gingerbread with whip cream….the possibilities are endless. I love KAF and all of your many followers.

Hey, great ideas! I’d best go dig our my hotdog pan again… Thanks – PJH

74. Natalie B

These look fantastic! My family comes from Southeast Canada, and every time my parents and I go to visit the rest of the family, we always buy New England style Hot dog buns. Right now my parents and I live in California, and I was just thinking about how I wish I could have some of these.

I will definitely make these once I can get my hands on a pan :)
    The NE Hotdog Pan is in stock and I would advise you to jump on it before the grilling season kicks in back here on the East Coast. The pan is known to fly out of here like hot cakes! Elisabeth

75. Bicyclebrat

How about a parchment sheet between the inverted baking sheet and the top of the bun pan since any excess greese or cooking spray tends to drip down into the oven floor?
    Sounds like that would work just fine. Let us know how it goes. ~ MaryJane

76. WildeGrainz

Will this bun style hold a slightly larger wiener such as a beef eater? Thanks in advance!

Not sure how big a beefeater is; the buns are 6 1/2″ long, though – does that help? PJH

77. Susan

Will the New Engand HotDog Bun recipe work with subbing 3 cups of the bread mix as opposed to the all-purpose flour???
    I already have my pan, and I cannot wait to try the recipe!!!
    If you would like to use a bread mix with this pan, then simply make it according to the instructions and allow it to do a second rise in the bun pan. ~Amy

78. bls1972

Living in Florida, these rolls cannot be found and I have purchased online but shipping is expensive. I recently purchased the NE Hot Dog Roll pan and made the rolls. The recipe was fairly easy to follow and the rolls baked up nice. They were a bit dense and yeasty (my daughter’s comment). After the 1st rise, I deflated and stretched out into the pan, the dough filled up much of the pan and rose slightly above the rim. I put a sheet pan on as described with 2 cast iron pans. My question is that I think I could use less dough next time, maybe 2/3 of the dough to get less dense rolls. What do you think?
    Thanks.

Sure, give it a try; sometimes it takes a couple of tries to tailor a yeast recipe to your own climate and kitchen. Glad you like the rolls – PJH

79. MICHAELA

OH PLEASE, LET ME BUY IT AND USE IT. ALL THE DIFFERENT IDEAS FOR DESSERTS, ETC…. SOUND SO MOUTH WATERING. I CAN’T WAIT! REALLY GREAT ON THE HOW-TO’S. I HAVEN’T BAKED BREAD IN A LONG TIME. BEEN USING BOXES OF CAKE AND MUFFIN MIX. THIS WILL BE GREAT. I HAVE TWO TEENAGERS WHO ARE PICKY AND THIS IS FANTASTIC. ANY LUCK WITH SOME KIND OF ITALIAN BUNS? ALSO WHAT CHEESE IS OK?
    I’m so glad to hear your enthusiasm. Find a recipe for an Italian -style sandwich roll here. If you are asking about adding cheese to a bread dough, you can use most any kind you would like. ~Amy

80. Donna B, VA

For those of you who can’t find the New England style hot dog buns, Pepperidge Farms makes them commercially. I actually found some in our local Food Lion. Being a transplanted New Englander, I was thrilled! However, their availability will not stop me from buying the pan. We’re going to be in New England in early September. Among our planned stops is King Arthur Flour – along with Ben & Jerry’s, The Vermont Country Store, Gardener’s Supply, etc., etc. ;-)
    Sounds like you have some good plans for your tour. See you then! ~Amy

81. belleamie5

I made these hot dog rolls the other day, very good bread but way too heavy for hot dog rolls

.Please give our baker’s hot line a call and we can trouble shoot. Your dough may have been too dry. 802-649-3717 betsy@kaf

82. Mindrn

I know this is probably bad…..just pretend you don’t see that I may use a cake mix…..But is a standard cake mix enough to fill this pan?
    The hot dog pan holds about 5 cups of batter, which is about the same amount of batter that would fit in an 8 or 9-inch cake pan. So, one boxed cake mix (which normally yields 2 8 to 9-inch cakes) would make two hog dog pans of cake. If you have additional questions, please give us a all on the Baker’s Hotline and we’ll be happy to help! ~Mel

83. BuddyZ

Finally, the mystery is solved! I have been on a years’ long mission to find a way to obtain those delicious New England hot dog buns, and now KAF has the pan to get it done. I will definitely be buying one. I do have a couple questions: Is there a KAF whole wheat/multigrain recipe that will work in this pan? And can your fabulous Banana Bread recipe (1/1/2010) be adapted to use in the pan? I had a friend serve sandwiches with banana bread, monterey jack and shaved ham(under the broiler open-faced), then topped with a spicy mango chutney–incredible. I would love to serve the same on banana bread buns made with the NE Hot Dog Pan. KAF, you’re the greatest!

Using the NE bun pan with a quick bread recipe sounds like a fun experiment. Quick breads tend to crown during baking, leaving a “camel’s hump” shape in the middle of the loaf. You may need to work with a slightly thinner batter to avoid this. Give it a try. Frank @ KAF.

84. kenray2010

I have this pan – I can’t use potato flakes, potato starch, any suggestions for an alternative?

You may omit the flakes, the rolls will just be a little less moist. Give it a try. Frank @ KAF.

85. kenray2010

thanks for the quick reply re potato Flakes, etc. just leave them out – don’t add any additional flour, etc. to compensate for not using potato flakes?

Right, just leave it out – it’ll be fine. You’ll be losing some moistness in the texture, as Frank noted, but the buns will still come out… PJH

86. spookys6

Need paper hot dog trays like shown on your recent cover!

For the August cover, we just wrapped the sandwiches in parchment paper, then sliced. Give it a try. Frank @ KAF.

87. nvanest

I’ve had this pan for a while, and was a little afraid to use it since I’m a newbie baker (a bucket list skill :-)) and these were perfect the first time. Again, I read the comments before diving in (love the blog)…and these were as simple as could be. KAF, I really appreciate all the support you offer here.

88. thebets

Got this pan for Christmas and have yet to make buns, but have made two cakes – thanks for the great blog post! I made your fudge cake filled with peanut butter buttercream, and pound cake topped with homemade strawberries in syrup and whipped cream. Yum! Guess I should try the buns soon. :) Thanks for the ideas to keep this pan from being a one-hit-wonder!

89. psycsocial

ok you got me…lol now i need this pan. the chocolate cake. i have to do this. living here in the arizona / calif/ nevada areas. im missing my DEVIL DOGS that drakes cakes make. this is perfect but can someones give me a recipe for the creme filling. im not very creative an have no clue on what the ingredients are to make it so smooth and creamy. can someone please help me???

Hi – Try the filling from this whoopie pie recipe. I think you’ll find it to be a pretty good Devil Dog filling clone. :) PJH

90. Troy-Leigh

I looked high and low for these rolls here in S. FL and could never find them. Then I bought this pan AND I used this recipe. I really think the problem that others have is that they aren’t measuring the flour correctly. I LOVED the video y’all posted of how to fluff and not scoop the flour. It changed my baking world. I could never figure out why my yeastie rolls were so dense. JACKPOT!

Anyway, back to this pan and recipe. It’s awesome. It comes out perfect every time!!!

THANK YOU! The buttery toasty grilled hot dog bun has become the fan favorite in our house. Those that figured it was just a “bun” is sooo wrong. Once they taste that buttery goodness, I have converts. The best part is the crunchy bits on the edge after you toast it. No more store bought hot dog buns for us! This is by far my go to recipe and it’s made it a jiff.

So glad to hear that we solved your dough problems! Measuring your flour incorrectly is probably the #1 reason for recipe troubles, especially for soft buns like these.-Jon

91. George thompson

Tried twice booth heavy and did not rise to top. Any advice, I was thinking of leaving the sheet pan off.

George, if the dough isn’t rising to the top yes, you can certainly leave the sheet pan off. But it really should rise… Please give our baker’s hotline a call, 855-371-BAKE (2253). They can help you figure this out. PJH

92. bampam1

Well, my pan came while we were away over the weekend. When I got home on Monday I could hardly contain myself to not start using it ASAP. Finally, after canning all day I stirred up a batch of KA’s Favorite Fudge Cake. OMG…….the aroma while it was baking almost made me crazy. Baked it 33 minutes as directed. No mention was made of how long to cool it in the pan before turning it out on a cooling rack to cool completely. Might have left it a tad too long, as it was reluctant to leave the pan with ease………so I just left it inverted on a parchment covered rack. Couple minutes later, it finally released from the pan. (Yes, I sprayed it with cooking spray). Waiting for my husband to come home from a meeting to surprise him with these. I cheated and purchased a store bought “whipped frosting” and a can of Redi-Whip. Too tired to make a filling from scratch tonight. I too thought about using a Whoopie pie filling……..maybe another time. Thanks King Arthur, you make me look like a great baker! : )

93. Mike

I noticed that another poster suggested a lid for the pan, and you wrote that you would pass that along to marketing.

That leads into my question. Why did you get rid of the previous version which I’m pretty sure came with a lid? I believe it was from Chicago Metallic.
    Hi Mike,
    I know that our merchandising team always thinks long and hard before we change a popular product. There were many reasons that we switched over to the USA Pans, and we’ve been very pleased with their products. I’ll pass it along to team that folks would like to see a lidded version of this pan return. ~ MJ

94. "Gluten-Free Gram"

I noticed you tested the gluten-free bread mix in the kitchen? Could you explain how you did it? I’m curious about “spreading the dough” into the pan and wondering if I should use the whole bread mix or just half?
    Any Help will be greatly appreciated! Ordering the pan today!

1. bakersresource

I believe it has been tested using the GF Bread Mix or at least using a GF scratch recipe. The mix will fill the pan. This may be a time to call to speak with one of our bakers on our Hotline, 1-855-371-2253. We look forward to hearing from you! Elisabeth

95. Shelley

This is our third year of a new tradition the day after Thanksgiving.

I make up several batches of hot dog buns for Friday dinner. The first year we made hot dogs with different toppings; last year it was lobster rolls. This year we are having chili dogs. We serve them with salads, chips, etc. It is a nice change from leftover turkey ( we will get to that over the weekend) and each year the number of people coming grows.

Next year I am considering doing clam rolls. Please chime in if you have any other suggestions As soon as we are finishing this year’s Friday dinner we are talking about what to have next year.

I had better start teaching someone else to make the buns; I am not sure I can keep up with the numbers. :)

Shelley, great tradition! How about pulled pork sandwiches? Or Banh Mi? It’s maybe too close to turkey, but I like an imaginative chicken salad – curried, or with grapes/almonds, or dried cranberries. Did you do Chicago dogs? Classic! And yes, you’d best share your “secret” as far as bun-making goes, get others to bring a batch as the price of admission! :) PJH

96. nancy tuerk

I just bought this pan to make buns for lobster rolls. I live in Colorado and wondered if there are any alteratons necessary for high altitude. Does anyone have experience, or should I just use the regular King Arthur recipe? thanks.

97. CTY

Well, 4 years late to this party. The beauty of a blog though, is that late comers are still welcome. My pan should be arriving any day now. We recently moved to CA from NJ and have been missing these buns fiercely.,
    I will be experimenting with all kinds of recipes–if I hit gold (I am in CA after all ;) ) I will report.
    Also, I think I’ll make a variety of cake flavors and lay out all kinds of fillings/toppings and have a walking dessert buffet. May cut them in half or thirds for mini desserts so folks can sample a variety.
    In addition, I will be playing around with making 2 flavor ones- “night & day” chocolate & yellow. Tilt pan, pour one flavor batter (lengthwise), then try to pour/coax the other flavor. If push comes to shove they may have to be marble ones.
    Now if I can get real pizza–sure, I make my own–but sometimes I just want to “pick up a pie”.
    Thanks for keeping this post active.

1. Susan Reid

Charlene, you might want to try putting your second cake batter in a pastry bag and piping it. It will land where you want it to go that way…Susan

98. charlenetydryszewski

Susan–piping it in sounds good–thanx.
    Let me tell you–this pan rocks! The rolls are awesome & the desserts will be the “ace up my sleeve” when I need to bring a dessert somewhere!
    Well, been experimenting and thought I would share my thoughts. Had to work through a few batches to get the rolls to my liking. They did not want to “open” nicely to hold the hot dogs. We all liked the taste though. Because I did a number of batches back to back, I had lots of rolls hanging around. Here’s what I did once we had our fill of hot dogs. Cut the slit all the way through & cut (a few) again lengthwise–brushed with olive oil & garlic and toasted them in a skillet. They were great. The ones left wide were toasted the same way & topped with bruschetta. Some of the wide ones were also used to make French Toast sticks. If you want to kick up your French toast a bit– after soaking in egg, roll them in cookie crumbs (grahams, Oreo, Chocolate Chip etc). I save all the crumbs from cakes, cookies, muffins and dry them on a cookie sheet. Then we make Super French Toast. Some other rolls I cut a 3/4″ gully (instead of just splitting) & we had “not so Sloppy Joes” & made croutons for the salad.
    Desserts–made the fudge cake as recommended–topped w/ thawed frozen Bing cherries (with a bit of the juice, thickened & hot) & topped with whipped cream–DH added hot fudge. Made banana cake ones. Served it with homemade soft vanilla bean ice cream and had banana split toppings: hot fudge,strawberry syrup, pineapple topping, whipped cream, wet nuts (another east coast thing) & cherries. I plan on making banana ones (& other flavors) cutting a gully in them and piping ice cream into the gully & them freezing. This can be done day before a picnic & then just put out toppings. Some may even get a thick ganache piped in before freezing. I will for sure write again. The mind is still going non stop. Working on a pineapple upside down cake.

99. Sydney

Tried this recipe 3 times and couldn’t get the dough to rise (very cold house/new baker) so I bought a bread machine hoping that would do it all for me. The buns turned out, but were very dense. Is there anything I should do differently if I am using a bread machine to do everything but the baking?

Hmm, sounds like there could be an issue with how you are measuring your ingredients. I would suggest to give our Baker’s Hotline a call so that we can help troubleshoot over the phone or contact us via our Chat service. Our number is 855 371 2253. Happy baking! Jon@KAF

100. Julia

I love the idea of this pan, but it seems odd to buy a specialty pan that still requires the use of another pan with a weight on top. Are there any plans to introduce one of these with a built in lid like the one that comes with the pan de mid pan?