Nobody knows the truffles I’ve seen: Chocolate and cream make magic.

chocolate-truffles

“Handmade chocolate truffle, darling?”

“Yes, thank you, darling.”

“Another handmade chocolate truffle, dearest?”

“Absolutely, my little snugglebunny.”

“Generic lump of chocolate flavored candy confection from Sprawl-Mart, sweetness?”

“SAY WHAT?!”

Why, oh why should we buy tasteless truffles and bland bon-bons when making them at home is so fast and so very easy?  Seriously, you can make mind-mellowing truffles with just 2 ingredients: chocolate and cream.

Let’s make Truffles.

First, choose some really good chocolate. Truffles are meant to be a special treat, so use the best you can for this project.

Our Merckens dark chocolate bar (back), Belcolade disks (l) and Peter’s Burgundy Chunks (r) are all excellent for truffle making.

Put the chocolate in 8” or 9”” round cake pans.

Measure equal amounts BY WEIGHT of chocolate and cream for each batch you intend to make. Here I used 12 ounces of each. That translates to a volume of 2 cups of chocolate (12 ounces) and 1 1/2 cups of cream (12 ounces).

This applies to dark and milk chocolates. White chocolate ganache is a beastie all its own, and we’ll get into that another day.

Heat your cream on the stovetop or in the microwave. You want to bring it to just under the boiling point.

Pour the hot cream over the chocolate and allow it to sit for 1 to 2 minutes to soften. If you’re using vanilla or another extra-strong flavor (or espresso powder), now’s the time to add it.

Stir the cream and chocolate mixture (now known as ganache) until it’s smooth and creamy.

Here I have one pan of Mercken’s dark ganache without vanilla, one Mercken’s dark with vanilla , one of Belcolade, one of Peter’s Burgundy. I *think* this may make enough truffles to keep the gang happy for a few days.

Place the pans in the fridge to firm up the ganache. This can take 1 to 2 hours. Be sure to label your pans if you’re using different types of chocolates or different flavorings in different batches.

When the ganache is the consistency of soft clay, dip the bottom of the pan briefly in hot water to soften the bottom. It will slip right out of the pan.

You can certainly keep the ganache in the pan for scooping, but when your test kitchen buddies are grumbling about the lack of round pans in the kitchen, it’s best to return them quickly!

Use a small scoop (a teaspoon cookie scoop works well here) to portion out 3/4” balls of ganache. Roll each briefly between your palms to round it. Remember, these are supposed to resemble truffle mushrooms, so there’s no need to make perfect spheres.

Scoop, roll, repeat.

Once you’ve rolled several truffles, you can coat them in a variety of toppings. Our pure chocolate sprinkles are my all-time favorite for the lovable hedgehog look they give.

So cute, so tempting.

Up close you can see that I used different toppings from the pantry, such as sprinkles and sea salt. Yes, those spikes sticking up from the truffle on the right are sea salt crystals.

Toasted ground nuts and fine shredded coconut are also among the classic toppings.  And peppermint crunch would make a lovely red-and-white minty truffle.

In this photo you can see the traditional cocoa coating on the far left and far right truffles. For the best cocoa coverage, coat twice. Dutch-process cocoa features a mild, rich flavor perfect for truffles.

The long white piece above the word “see” is large-flake coconut. And some of the truffles are covered in our long gone but fondly remembered chocolate flakes, and white chocolate sprinkles. Alas, we miss ye.

Cupcake papers make lovely holders. Go elegant with plain white, or go fun with colorful holiday patterns.

And there you have it. Truffles that will melt on the tongue, releasing the purest chocolate flavor straight to the heart. OH, my…

One batch of ganache will make 2 to 3 dozen truffles, depending on how large you make them. For a little time investment, you can have lots of hostess gifts, teacher presents, even a little something for yourself after a long day of online shopping.

The truffles keep well in the fridge for about 2 weeks, and are so rich just a few make a dynamite gift.

Please make, rate, and review our recipe for Truffles.

MaryJane Robbins

comments

1. MGW960W

Using the 12 ounces of chocolate and 12 ounces of cream as you do, how much vanilla, extra-strong flavor, or espresso powder do you suggest using per pan? These look great!

It’s absolutely to taste. I think 1 teaspoon of vanilla; 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon of espresso powder, or a few drops to 1/8 teaspoon extra strong flavor would be good starting places… PJH

2. kim

These look amazing!! Recently we’ve been into spicy chocolates. Any suggestions for adding some heat to these truffles?

Kim, you don’t want to introduce any liquid, so cayenne or any dry pepper would be good… PJH

You could VERY lightly dust the finished truffles with cayenne, or mix just a bit of pepper into the cocoa before rolling. Happy spicing! ~ MaryJane

3. Sarah

Can these be frozen without affecting the flavor/consistency?

There isn’t much that can be frozen without affecting the consistency, Sarah. You could try, but I think they’d be a bit more dry, and the moisture collecting on the surface during thawing would definitely affect whatever coating you used. Best not to freeze – unless you want to freeze the uncoated balls, then thaw and coat just before you need them. Worth a try- PJH

4. SoupAddict Karen

Oh my gosh … gianduja … I just bought a 2lb block of Valrhona gianduja. I’m welling up with joy at the mere thought….

Maybe coat with finely chopped hazelnuts and a touch of sea salt? :) PJH

Karen, how about a gianduja core, with a truffle layer, then a nut coating? Woo hooo! ~ MaryJane

5. lynncraig

Beautiful! I can’t wait to try these. I’m thinking I’ve got teacher gifts covered this year.
    You’ll be the hit of the classroom and the maven of the teacher’s lounge. ~ MaryJane

6. KellyKeller

I’m going to try these with some allspice, cayenne (or maybe chipotle powder), and cinnamon…I love that chocolate/spice blend from Latin American.
    Definitely. Our beloved Andrea was asking for a Mexican chocolate version, so I’ll have to work on that for her Hannukah gift. ~ MaryJane

7. mrshittle15814

i LOVE spicy chocolate! And spicy truffles are the best. i use cayenne, and sometimes chipotle powder, but like PJ said above, it’s all to taste. They get a tad spicier as you let them sit, too. Generally i mix the cayenne with the cocoa for coating them, but if you wanted to do a different coating, you can put it in the ganache. It’s easier to adjust the spice level in the cocoa, though. If you taste one and it’s too much, toss more cocoa into the bowl. If it’s not enough, add more pepper. Since powdered spices don’t mix well with liquids, if you’re going to add it to the ganache i’d do so as you stir the chocolate and cream together, after it’s already started to become creamy. i’ve also made spicy orange truffles, with orange zest, and those are amazing!
    Thanks for the great hints. I especially like the part about testing to make sure it’s just right. You could test a few, just to be extra sure. ;) ~ MaryJane

8. Carolyn

I’ve been making these for Christmas presents since high school! @Sarah… You can keep them in the fridge throughout the holiday season, no problem. I doubt they’ll even last that long anyways!

9. kaagesen

I’d love to add some dark rum or bourbon to these. Can I substitute some of the creme, and how much?
    Try replacing about 1 tablespoon of the cream with liquor. You want the flavor to be subtle, still letting the chocolate be the star of the show. ~ MaryJane

10. geemingyip

Where can I purchase the white sprinkles? I can’t seem to locate them on the website. Thanks so much! Beautiful truffles!!!!

Lu
    Hi Lu,
    Unfortunately, the sprinkles have been discontinued :(. I don’t know if there is another source for the pure white chocolate ones. Sorry. ~ MaryJane

11. mom2mckjkl

Can anyone recommend how to dip the truffles so that you end up with a hard outer shell – like the fancy wrapped ones? I have never been a fan of the cocoa powder dipped ones – I am going to try the jimmy covered ones, but I would love to make some dipped ones. Is there a KAF product that would be good for that??
    Thanks Brenda

Hi Brenda – I would dip the truffles with a melted chocolate and refrigerate them to harden the shell. I wold use the Merckens Bittersweet chocolate bar (item #1619) or the Guittard Semisweet Wafers (item #1590). Happy truffling! – kelsey

12. mar77721

I am thinking of adding amaretto to the truffle mixture. How much would you suggest to keep it subtle and not overpower the chocolate? Or would you replace the vanilla with the amaretto?
    I’d leave out the vanilla, and substitute about 1 tablespoon of the Amaretto for 1 tablespoon of the cream.
    ~ MaryJane

13. piercesb

I regularly freeze truffles on a sheet pan and put them in ziploc bags-just thaw them in the refrigerator. I dip mine in chocolate but I’m sure you could coat them with cocoa or sprinkles. If necessary, a quick reroll in your hands should return the surface to its fresh and sticky state for coating.
    And give you a chance to lick your fingers!!! ~ MaryJane

14. bakinginoregon

I consider myself to be somewhat qualified in the kitchen, but I’ve got to say that truffles (and fudge) have eluded me in terms of consistent results over the years. There has been much frustration in my attempts to make truffles using this method in the past. I’ve had them come out hard as rocks and unable to roll, and come out so soft that they turned into little ‘puddles of mud’. Now, regardless of the results, even the disasters are still tasty. Any thoughts, other than the fact that my ratios must somehow be off, as to what is causing my inconsistent results? I so want to be able to make some truffles like these and know, from batch to batch that it will all work. What do you think? I’ve also seen some truffle recipes that add unsalted butter too, what are your thoughts on that?

When you cross the border into “Candy Land”, Measurement and Temperature Control will either be your new Best Buddies or your Nemesis. Candy making is an exacting art. Ingredient ratios are unforgiving. Too much sugar or the wrong type will make your truffles mud spots. Over boiling cream can make them lumps of coal. Using a different chocolate, well you need to look at that situation as an experiment.

MaryJane has taken all of the guess work out of making a good basic truffle ganache in this recipe. Added Butter would definitely firm up the texture of the ganache, as well as adding fat. Give this one a try, as written. Frank @ KAF.

15. Aimee Shugarman

These are great. I go a step further every year and melt white chocolate. I dip the truffles in white chocolate, then drizzle on some red/green melting chips. Very festive. I have also added almond extract to mine, which them them a hugely rich flavor, thanks for sharing your recipes!
    That sounds so pretty. I remember dipping Oreos and doing the drizzle back in high school. Great for bake sales too. ~ MaryJane

16. Irene in TO

White chocolate sprinkles? melt white chocolate without adding cream or cocoa butter. Press through a fine sieve with fingers, a spoonful at a time. Chill or freeze in jars for storage.

Truffles can be frozen in plastic storage containers like margarine tubs just fine. Thaw in the fridge without opening the container. They WILL sweat if you thaw at room temp.
    Thanks for the hints Irene! ~ MaryJane

17. Christine

so here is my story about “fudge truffles”…. despite the fact that i am fairly accomplished in the kitchen when it comes to all things sweet, i have never been able to make classic fudge… i let the mixture cool to 110 degrees and beat until it starts to lose it’s gloss… well, except the “starts to lose it’s gloss” part… i always overbeat and i wind up with hardend fudge in my pot… so first time this happened, not wanting to waste what was otherwise good fudge, i scraped the chunks and shards of fudge onto the countertop. i now had a formless and crude looking pile of yummy fudge, so i decided to knead it all together… much to my amazement, kneading the fudge pile turned the fudge into this amazingly smooth and silky candy…absolutely melt in your mouth… so i rolled this fudge “clay” into little balls and declared them truffles… no one could believe that they were a “failed” batch of fudge… definitely my favorite kitchen “mishap” :0)
    YOU ROCK girl!

18. sundance183

If you are going the sea salt route, how much? Seems like coating the balls would be too salty. I’ve got some Antarctic Sea Salt I’ve been saving for something special.
    Just a sprinkle on each truffle is plenty. You want just a hint to enhance the chocolate. ~ MaryJane

19. sundance183

Forgot to ask, but on another holiday food topic- could you suggest a dough recipe to wrap Brie in for baking? The recipe I have calls for those canned crescent rolls and I think I’d prefer homemade, unless you think it’s something that really can’t be reproduced. Thanks!

Check out this blog on blitz puff pastry. It should be just the thing. ~ MaryJane

20. Cindy leigh

I needed to melt chocolate last night to decorate some cookies. I had heavy cream in the ref rig, so I added a few tbsp to the cup of chocolate pieces so it would be thinner. I warmed it gently, stirred, and it seized up.
    So I started over and jut melted chocolate.
    Why did the cream seize up the chocolate?
    I saved the blob- wrapped it in plastic and put it in the refrig. What can I do with it? Anything I can use it in? Chop it up or grate it and do something with it?
    Thanks?
    It sounds like there wasn’t enough cream added. A little liquid will seize the chocolate, but try adding more cream and heating gently. That should bring it back. If you add the chocolate to plenty of milk and melt it down, you’ll have a killer hot chocolate. ~ MaryJane

I have made truffles before using my lazy girl’s fudge recipe: one can condensed milk with two cups of chips, and flavoring/mix-ins. Makes a great fudge, but it can also be scooped into balls when partially set, and then dipped in melted chocolate. Kinda fail-safe for the chocolate skills-impaired like me!

21. xbaber

I’ve only made truffles once. I used Kraft’s recipe that uses Philadelphia cream cheese. They were okay, but I just don’t like chocolate with my cream cheese, so they were far from great. That is a combo that I want to enjoy, but never do.

Next time I make truffles (not this year because I’m trying to watch my pregnancy weight gain and there are too many other must-eat goodies right now), I’m definitely going to use cream and good chocolate.

22. Tonia

Re: spiced truffles — when heating the cream you can put in cinnamin stick, whole dried peppers (different kinds), ginger slices, whole tea leaves, pepper corns, whole cloves — then when pouring cream over chocolate make sure that you STRAIN the solids out. Now you have flavored chocolate. When coating, combine cocoa powder w/dried ground spices to give extra kick!

23. Cheri

Great ideas! I made truffles for a birthday gift for my mother in law and added orange extract, dipped them in chocolate and sprinkled with finely chopped candied orange peel. She loved them!

24. sallybr

I’ve always wanted to try and make truffles, but invented all sorts of excuses not to go for it. Chocolate scares me, I am always afraid that something will go terribly wrong

you are definitely tempting me, though…. they look awesome!
    As we used to say in Massachussetts, peah preshah! Translation for non-Flatlanders…Peer Pressure! Honestly though, I hope you do try the truffles. It’s fast and easy and very very good. ~ MaryJane

25. Ashley

To make chai truffles, you can steep chai tea leaves in heated heavy cream before melting in the chocolate. I like them best with a coconut coating, but white choc would complement them, too.

26. misoranomegami

Ohh I love making truffles! I’ve always dipped mine in melted chocolate which is a big hassle so I may skip that this year…

My favorite trick is to make a big double broiler batch of the ganache and then split it into smaller bowls with individual flavors. I do chopped up marachino cherries topped with drizzle of cherry flavored white chocolate; peppermint oil rolled in crushed candy canes; nutella mixed with ganache rolled in chopped hazelnuts and toasted filled rolled in more coconut.

27. barby

I mixed up 2 batches last night following the directions exactly and this morning they still haven’t firmed up. Both pans are a thick (delicious) syrup – definitely not firm enough to roll. Any suggestions for thickening this batch or what to do differently next time. The syrup is quite tasty so I will pour it on ice cream, over cake etc. It definitely won’t go to waste!
    Well, you are right, those ingredients would not go to waste in my house either! But I am sorry it did not work for you this time around. If you would like to take another stab at it, you could melt down what you have and add some more chocolate (melted first) and chill again. This may help to firm it up. Also, be sure you are using heavy cream and not whipping or light cream. You need the high percentage of fat! Elisabeth

28. Bakers Treats

I noticed you use Merckens chocolate wafers can I use Merckens candy kote wafers?
    Candy coating works great for dipping, but isn’t good for making ganache/truffles. Sorry. ~ MaryJane

29. bakerstreats

Can I use Merckense candy kote wafers? Is it the same thing as Merckens chocolate bar?

I think the candy kote wafers (not the same as their semisweet bar ) will work OK; they don’t have as good/intense a flavor, that’s all, as they have various additives to help them melt and stay shiny. PJH

30. debzy

For geemingyip – search on the web for white vermicelli and you’ll find white chocolate sprinkles. There are a couple of places that have them but I don’t want to advertise another site on KAF.

31. Ellen

Ok, I have read the recipe, all the comments, gone to the store and purchased the chocolate and cream…
    now, I see I have heavy whipping cream and not just plain heavy cream. Am I in trouble. Should I not use it? Let me know before I create a huge chocolate mess…I live alone and do not need a quart of chocolate syrup! ;-)

This is gonna work just fine. The fat percentage in the heavy whipping cream (36-38%) is close enough to heavy cream (40%). Go for it. Frank @ KAF.

32. Margy

I make truffles every year as Christmas gifts for my co-workers (they start nagging me in October so I won’t “forget”). There’s no such thing as a failed truffle. One year they were just not thick enough to roll, so I poured it into some small canning jars, added a ribbon, and presented it as chocolate sauce. Yummy warmed up and poured over ice cream, or stirred into hot milk for decadent hot chocolate.

There are, in fact, few irretrievable mistakes in the kitchen. If all else fails, baked goods can be given to the birds, and chocolate can ALWAYS be poured over ice cream! :) PJH

33. sailortitan

@Sarah back when they posted another truffle recipe in February for Valentine’s day–this one with the hard chocolate coating–I substituted milk for the dark chocolate, which made the ganache much softer. Back then, I did indeed freeze the ganache centers with no ill-effects. That was *before* I put the coating on, though–so you may want, as PJH suggests, to just freeze the ganache centers and add the sprinkles before you eat them.

34. vjfrn

Has anyone tried the recipe for Needhams in the Dec 2010 issue of Baking Sheet. I found them very difficult to dip and the finished product was very unattractive. I’ve never had trouble making candies before.

Hi there. Susan, the Baking Sheet editor here.
    There are a few tricks to making the Needhams that I didn’t have quite enough space for. First, after you’ve made the filling, cut the squares and refrigerate them, separated and uncovered, overnight. This will dry the edges just a bit and firm them up, which will make dipping them MUCH easier. You can email me if you have any other questions: susan.reid@kingarthurflour.com

35. amyrterenzi

I tried these last week adding mint extract to a dark chocolate batch and rolling them in crushed candy canes. My husband said those were just OK (but he’s not a chocolate/mint fan). I also tried a Lindt Milk Chocolate with vanilla extract but I’m having a really hard time rolling them. I put them in the freezer and was able to roll some of them that way (after 5 minutes or so things start to get too soft again). (Husband says the milk chocolate ones are awesome) I ordered the chocolate you suggested and am hoping to have less messy results with those. Could it be that I’m just using a chocolate that is too soft to begin with? Excuse my ignorance, I’m allergic to chocolate so I don’t have a lot I can go on with my own tastes and experience. I would really like to give these as gifts but want to find a way for them to be easier to roll and for them to stay round.
    Hi, I am so glad you are enjoying making truffles. What fun! It is possible that the milk chocolate you used had some fillers or waxes in them that contributed to your problem. Milk chocolate by rule is softer, but a high quality one will help you to achieve better results next time. Good luck! -Amy

36. Mari

Made a batch on Sat and forced my boyfriend to assembly-line roll them with me on Sun. He was shocked by how fast it was and how little mess we made (I have a bit of a record). He even promised not to eat too many so I’d have enough for gifts.

I’m going to try a Thai tea infused variation and a cayenne-cinnamon variation. Maybe tomorrow.

37. argentyne

I made a batch of ganache on Saturday, and it failed to set up.

I know what went wrong, I didn’t chop my chocolate finely enough, so it didn’t all melt before the cream cooled. (Not that I found that out until later. :)

But it didn’t set and didn’t set, and I had no more of that chocolate to reseed the ganache.

So I poured it into the stand mixer bowl and whipped it up into chocolate chocolate chip mousse. And it’s delicious. :D

But since I have promised truffles to friends, I will be making a new batch this weekend, and going back to my normal habit of mixing the ganache in the double boiler (because my house is very cold and makes the cream cool too fast.)

38. Jane Dough

I just had to try these because they seemed so simple. Glad I did. My little boy just loves dark chocolate and I knew he was going to love these. I made him close his eyes and brought one single truffle out on a big platter. He ate it and said, “I could eat these every day even if I live to be 100!” Thank you KAF for the recipe and the inspiration.

39. oniiko

I mixed up a batch of these today using equal parts by weight of chocolate and cream. I used 10oz of callebut milk chocolate and 10 oz cream. After two hours in the fridge, the ganache was still soupy. I tried remelting in a double-boiler and adding 4 oz of additional milk chocolate. Two chilly hours later they were still too soft and melty to form balls. Just remelted for a third try and added 4 oz of dark chocolate. This time the ganache seems to have set up after an hour in the fridge, but I’m giving them more time. Any idea why my chocolate and cream ratios were so far off?
    You didn’t mention if you were using Callebaut bars or chips. You want to avoid chips, as they don’t have the same properties as bars and won’t set up the same way. Hope this helps. ~ MJ

40. valereee

I used the Mercken’s chocolate and measured EXACTLY to the gram, even used a wee bit more chocolate than cream, and three hours later these aren’t even CLOSE to setting up. I am going to remelt and add more chocolate, but seriously this recipe in the recipes section has numerous comments saying it doesn’t set up, and another truffles recipe you have posted in the recipes section calls for 12 oz chocolate to 8 oz cream.

It’s so odd that we’re all having such mixed results. I decided I’d go into the kitchen at 3 p.m. and try this out. I did a small test batch – 6 ounces each heavy cream (not whipping cream, heavy cream) and regular semisweet chocolate chips. Poured into a small cake pan (6″). At 5 p.m. (2 hours later), it was soft, but definitely scoopable; it held its shape when I scooped it with a teaspoon cookie scoop. I imagine by tomorrow it’ll be stiffer. Anyone baking scientists out there have any ideas? PJH

41. wingboy

I’d look at the cream first. I have seen cream separate in the carton giving you a fraction that is very high in butterfat and a fraction that is lower in butterfat.

Good point – I’ll ask MJ to add to the directions about shaking the carton of cream… PJH

42. oniiko

Hi MJ – the chocolate I used was from a callebaut bar. I made two batches, one with vanilla flavor and one with raspberry. One was made with the last 10oz in a heavy cream carton, the other with the first 10oz of a whipping cream carton, but there was no difference in consistency for me. After two hours in the fridge, both batches were a honey-like consistency – thick but definitely liquid.

When I poured the ganache out to remelt with additional chocolate, I did see some unmelted bits at the bottom of the pan. I used a double boiler for my second try when I added 4oz more of a belgium milk chocolate bar I had in my pantry and made sure to melt everything thoroughly. After two more hours, this time in my chest freezer, ganache was the consistency of thick pudding and still would not hold it’s shape once scooped.

For the third melting, I added 4oz of a belgium dark chocolate bar to each batch. The resulting ganache was still very soft, but truffles held their shape well enough to roll in cocoa and make it back to the fridge.

My final ratio was 14oz milk + 4oz dark chocolate bar to 10oz cream. If I’d had more good chocolate on hand, I probably would have tried adding another few ounces to get the consistency I was after, so I would have ended up with a chocolate heavy 2:1 ratio.

43. valereee

PJ, I’m wondering if maybe I didn’t stir long enough to get it ‘soft and creamy’. How crucial is stirring until you get to the correct consistency? Could that possibly explain why some of us are having problems getting the 1:1 ratio to set up? And I did use “heavy whipping cream” rather than heavy cream, as neither of my regular groceries carry heavy cream — could that explain it for some of us? Maybe there’s a different ratio for using heavy whipping cream?

I did eventually get mine to set up, with a ratio of 24 oz of chocolate to 16 oz of heavy whipping cream or 3:2. They were rollable but just barely; I returned them to the fridge between rolling and doing the toppings. I stored them in the fridge, but when they were at room temperature they ended up flattening out of round quite a bit.

FWIW, rolling them in espresso powder: NO! :) They were beautiful and delicious at first, but after a couple of days in the fridge the espresso powder turned dark, sticky and unappealing. And I might try your peppermint crunch next year, but making my own by crushing peppermint candies also was not a success — the peppermint sort of half-melted into the truffle and looked like the truffle had gone moldy. :P
    Hi Valereee,
    The biggest thing that I think most folks are finding with the truffles is that you really do have to use real chocolate, top shelf, and real cream. Other than that, getting the cream very hot, even boiling it for a minute or so to evaporate some of the moisture also helps very much.
    I’m glad that you worked with different toppings too. Next time, try mixing the espresso powder in with some cocoa. You’ll still get the mocha flavor but the cocoa will keep it from melting into the truffle so much. Thanks for sharing about the peppermint too. ~ MaryJane

44. MaryAnn

These look great but I’m wondering how to make a truffle with a crisp shell and a creamy interior. Any thoughts? Thanks!
    To get that crisp exterior, you’ll need to dip the coated truffles in tempered chocolate to make a shell. Be sure that you use tempered chocolate or you’ll not get that “snap”. ~ MaryJane

45. whites5

I haven’t tried this recipe yet, but when I’ve made truffles in the past and dipped them in chocolate to give them a hard shell I’ve used a toothpick to dip them, and then swirled them around a bit in the air to harden up and then stuck the pick into styrofoam so they wouldn’t have a flat bottom.
    Super idea, thanks for sharing! ~ MaryJane

46. chocolate lover forever-candace

iI have not made any chocolate candy ever. I want to make truffles with a chocolate shell in your recipe it says to temper the chocolate. could you tell me what this means? Thank you candy
    Tempering must be done if you want to be sure you will end up with a chocolate finish that is hard and shiny. When you melt chocolate, the fat molecules separate. In order to be realigned, tempering is recommended or else you may end up with a dull and streaky finish. There are several methods of tempering. One is to melt the chocolate (semi-sweet) to about 115 degrees and remove from the heat and (seed) add chopped chocolate to the bowl to bring down the temperature to about 87 – 88 degrees. You may need to place the bowl back onto a double boiler to melt the chocolate in, but do not leave it on the heat more than 5-10 seconds, all the while, stirring. You will need to test the chocolate to see if it is in temper by sticking a paring knife or the corner of a plastic bowl scraper (for example) into the chocolate. Pull it out and allow to sit for about 5-8 minutes to see if it begins to harden and remain shiny. If it does not harden, it may be too warm still. You may place the bowl in the frig briefly or seed in more unmelted chocolate to cool it down. It is a lot of back and forth sometimes! It is really fun once you get the hang of it and very rewarding. Practice. Elisabeth

47. valereee

Has anyone tried making these with creme fraiche instead of heavy cream? I’ve made these the last three years with Merckens milk and dark chocolate bars and can never find “heavy cream” here, only “heavy whipping cream” and EVERY year I end up remelting multiple times to add more chocolate until I’ve reached approximately a 2:1 ratio of chocolate to cream rather than the 1:1 ratio called for in this recipe. I was thinking maybe using creme fraiche might solve my problem.
    HI there,
    The heavy whipping cream that you find in the store will be just fine to use. I wouldn’t go the creme fraiche route though, it’s a totally different moisture content, etc. ~ MaryJane

48. 4kingvasc

This recipe is close to the one I use. I have no trouble getting them to set. One thing I have noticed that will affect scoopability is the amount of time you chill the completed ganache. Two to three hours seems to be the best time frame, the varience being due to where it is placed in the fridge. Put it in the coldest part of your fridge to set it fastest.
    Try this :
    12ounces of semi sweet chocolate chips (Giradelli works exceptionally well)
    3/4 cup heavy cream

Pour chips and cream in small sauce pan
    Over med high heat let warm just until chips begin to shine and small bubbles appear around side. DO NOT STIR DURING THIS TIME! Turn off heat, leave pot on burner. DO NOT STIR YET! Let sit for 3 minutes. NOW, you can stir. Use a wire whisk.
    Slowly so as not to add any air to mixture, stir. It will only take about 2 minutes to fully blend. Now pour in a bowl and let set in fridge for 2 to 3 hours until firm. Scoop. Roll into balls. Roll in to toppings.

Another thing I have done is to roll a candied cherry in to center of the truffle. Then dip in melted almond bark. Can also then be dipped in coconut after almond bark coating. To make getting the cherry in easier, take the ganache out when it is on the softer side of firm. Set the bowl in a larger one with ice in it to keep the ganache from becoming too warm and hard to roll.

Hope this helps:)

This does indeed help! Thanks so much for your good feedback here – much appreciated. PJH

49. Elena

For novices, how do you know you’ve heated the cream to the correct temp?

“Just under the boiling point” of cream is just under 212F. For beginning cooks, I recommend warming the cream on the stove over medium heat (any hotter and you risk burning the bottom), gently running a clean spatula along the bottom–key word here: “GENTLY”. You don’t want to whip the cream by stirring vigorously (unless you want “whipped truffles”, and some do!). When you see lots of steam start to rise off the cream, then it is ready! You do not want to cook the cream to boiling when you see lot of bubbles forming around the edges and the bottom. Simply being very warm will do! I hope this helps!! Kim@KAF

50. marileecm

I have made these truffles a couple of times with vanilla extract and loved them. I would like to try an orange flavor, but I do not have the orange oil you suggest. I have the Nielsen-Massey pure orange extract that I purchased from KAF. Can I use that? If so, would I use 2 tsp., as I did with the vanilla? I was also considering mixing in some KAF candied orange peel. What do you think?

51. chef giovanni

the CORRECT ratio is NOT 1-1 for truffles… dark chocolate is 2-1, milk is 2.5-1 and white is 3-1

Every site in the world says so…this MAY be good for a cake ganch, but equal parts will NOT form into balls ! TOO much cream !

52. Abby

I made some truffles last night using a recipe I found online. They taste good but they seem very fudge like, almost squishy but they hold their shape. Is that normal or is my consistency wrong?

Sounds about right, Abby. However, you can increase the amount of chocolate in the ganache to make a firmer truffle. Jon@KAF