Fresh Apple Cinnamon Scones: 'tis the season

There’s nothing like fresh, hot apple scones on a chilly Sunday morning in October – especially when you’re feeding a crowd.

Make and shape them the night before, stick in the freezer, bake early the next morning, and Bob’s your uncle – by the time your house guests emerge from their respective beds, breakfast is ready.

Of course, it helps if you remember to PUT THE SCONES ON THE TABLE. The pumpkin doughnuts, too.

Neither of which made an appearance one recent Sunday when I was entertaining 11 visiting family members.

All of whom ended up eating Cap’n Crunch and stale English muffins for breakfast, to my great and lasting chagrin.

What happened?

So, here’s the deal. I was hosting our fall family get-together, an annual extravaganza of grilling, horseshoes, bocce, beach-walking, lobsters, steamers, and midnight card games.

Saturday morning, I made the pumpkin doughnuts: check. They’re deliciously moist, and stay fresh for days, so it’s not a problem making them ahead.

Scones, though, are more a “just in time” thing – I like my scones just-baked warm.

So Saturday afternoon I made the dough, shaped it into scones, put ‘em on the pan, stuck ‘em in the freezer, and joined the crowd.

Around the card table. Where much merriment (and cheating) ensued, well past midnight.

Earlier, we’d celebrated my MIL’s 90-something (I’m not telling) birthday with two cakes – to hold the 90-something candles!

(I know, never mind the party, you really want to know about the cakes, right? That’s Lemon Bliss on the left; Classic Yellow with Fudge Frosting on the right.)

So, it’s after midnight by the time I get to bed – knowing I have to be up early the next morning to bake the scones before church.

Next morning – 6 a.m., to be precise – I stagger out of bed, bake the scones, and get ready for church. I put the scones and doughnuts on a serving tray, cover it, and stash it out of the way while I wash dishes.

Then I go to church.

When I come home, last night’s crowd has migrated to the kitchen, where they’re enjoying – not fresh scones and delicious baked doughnuts, but boxed cereal (which someone had gone out and bought, since I’d managed to forget to put out the homemade granola, too) and frozen, store-bought English muffins.

What, they didn’t like the scones and doughnuts? Hey, where ARE the scones and doughnuts?

Oh, yeah, stashed out of the way. And out of sight – in the pantry.

Sigh. As we used to say – great play, Shakespeare.

It all worked out in the end. As the family dispersed to their various homes later in the day, each one got their own little goody bag of scones and doughnuts.

Oh, and I managed to foist off the Cap’n Crunch on one of my teenage nephews, too. The frozen English muffins? I’m gradually making my way through them.

But next time I’m entertaining, I’m definitely going to make these Fresh Apple Cinnamon Scones again.

And also remember to serve them!

Let’s start with one of my favorite apple ingredients: apple pie spice, a  blend of cinnamon, nutmeg, and allspice. Substitute it for cinnamon in any of your favorite apple recipes; you’ll enjoy its more complex flavor.

Did you know that by clicking anywhere on this block of pictures, you can enlarge them to full size? Go ahead, give it a try; it’ll work for any of our photos.

Whisk together the following:

2 3/4 cups (11 1/2 ounces) King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
1/3 cup granulated sugar
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon Apple Pie Spice or ground cinnamon

Add 1/2 cup (8 tablespoons) cold butter, cut into pats. Work it into the flour mixture just until everything is unevenly crumbly; it’s OK for some larger chunks of butter to remain unincorporated.

Stir in 3/4 cup chopped fresh apple, cut in 1/2″ pieces (about half a medium apple; leave the skin on, if you like); and 3/4 cup cinnamon chips (or butterscotch chips, also a good choice).

In a separate bowl, whisk together the following:

2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup applesauce, unsweetened preferred

Add these liquid ingredients to the dry ingredients, and stir until all is moistened and holds together.

Line a baking sheet with parchment; if you don’t have parchment, just use it without greasing it. Sprinkle a bit of flour atop the parchment or pan.

Scrape the dough onto the floured parchment or pan, and divide it in half. Gently pat and round each half into a 5″ to 5 1/2″ circle about 3/4″ thick.

Stir together 3 tablespoons coarse white sparkling sugar and 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon (or apple pie spice).

Brush each circle with milk, and sprinkle with the topping.

Using a knife or bench knife that you’ve run under cold water, slice each circle into 6 wedges.

Carefully pull the wedges away from the center to separate them just a bit; there should be about 1/2″ space between them, at their outer edges.

For best texture and highest rise, place the pan of scones in the freezer for 30 minutes, uncovered. Why freeze the scones before baking? Because 30 minutes in the freezer relaxes the gluten in the flour, which makes the scones more tender and allows them to rise higher. It also chills the fat, which will make the scones a bit crumblier/flakier.

While the scones are chilling, preheat the oven to 425°F.

Bake the scones for 18 to 22 minutes, or until they’re golden brown. When you pull one away from the others, it should look baked all the say through; the edge shouldn’t look wet or unbaked.

Remove the scones from the oven, and cool briefly on the pan…

…before transferring to a rack.

Scones are best served warm. They’re delicious as is, but add butter and/or jam (or apple butter), if you like.

To reheat room-temperature scones, place on a baking sheet, tent lightly with foil, and warm in a preheated 350°F oven for about 10 minutes.

See the pockets created by those melting cinnamon chips? SO good…

Read, bake, and review (please) our recipe for Fresh Apple Cinnamon Scones.

comments

1. JuliaJ

I can believe your family wouldn’t find the granola but I can’t imagine them not following their noses to your scone/doughnut stash–the house must have smelled heavenly from your early morning scone-baking!

2. iahawk89

If I make the dough the night before and put it in the fridge, it that enough time to tenderize Flav-r-bites? Or am I better off just using cinnamon chips? I think the apple with maple Flav-r-bites sounds yummy.

Cinnamon chips are proven; but I’d say give it a try with the Flav-R-Bites, maybe by sticking them in one scone and seeing what happens – then you’d know for the next time. That overnight rest may ver well soften them up sufficiently. PJH

3. bobpetti

Are there any adjustments to the recipe or baking times needed if using your scone pan?

Haven’t tried this recipe in the scone pan, but usually there’s no adjustment necessary when going from baking sheet to scone pan; I’d suggest testing them a bit sooner in the scone pan, just to be sure. PJH

4. gaitedgirl

I made these long before this post arrived and I cannot even begin to tell you just how much I LOOOOOOOOOOOOVED these! I love anything cinnaminninn (don’t laugh, it’s how I pronounced it as a child) anyway and these scones took the “cake” (hehe). My husband and best friend said they were the best scones I had ever made. And super simple too! Best early fall scone EVER!! (My husband contends that pumpkin scones are the best fall scone.)

5. lsouth

When you make them the night before – do you keep them in the freezer all night, and take directly out frozen solid & put them in the oven to bake?

That’s right. They may take a couple of minutes longer when they’re frozen solid, but they can definitely go from freezer to oven, no prob. Enjoy – PJH

1. Rebekah

So instead of just putting them in the freezer for 30 minutes, that is when you would keep them in all night? Making them the night before is perfect, and so I am just trying to make sure I allow enough time in the morning for baking (as well as make sure I freeze them at the appropriate time in the directions).

Yes, Rebekah, that’s right, freeze them all night (covered), if you like, before baking. I’m sure you’re going to love these. Enjoy – PJH

6. Ann

Can I sub extra spice for the cinnamon chips? They are not available in my area and I don’t want to wait to order them from KA.You can just omit the chips or substitute another kind of chip. You can also add the cinnamon to taste. Betsy@KAF

7. daisy.jb

I made these for an office breakfast and they were delicious! I made them the night before and froze them. The following morning, I added the cinnamon sugar on top and baked them. Everyone loved them! It’s a great way to use those delicious apples right now!

8. cjsmama

These sound wonderful, PJ, and I’ve been looking for an excuse to buy some apples! Thaw out those english muffins, throw them in the food processor, and use them for bread crumbs. Actually, they make really good bread crumbs — almost like panko!

9. glpruett

I am wondering if I can substitute cinnamon fla-vor-bits for the cinnamon chips. The cinnamon chips contain palm oil, and have 3.5 gm of saturated fat per 4 teaspoons. The fla-vor-bits contain NO saturated fat per tablespoon. In the interest of good nutrition in my home-baked goods, I’d rather opt for the fla-vor-bits. I also love how the fla-vor-bits add a burst of cinnamon when you bite down into one!

I’m thinking that it might work fine, after soaking the fla-vor-bits in the half-cup of unsweetened applesauce. And here’s another tip about the applesauce: after our youngest outgrew fruit cups, I started buying applesauce in jars instead of the individual cups. What a mistake! Since none of us are likely to just grab the jar of applesauce out of the fridge and start eating, I found that more often than not at least half of the jar of applesauce would spoil before I had a chance to use all of it.

One day it struck me: those little individual cups are each four ounces…one-half cup, which is what most baking recipes call for! Since then, the little cups have a place in my pantry, and I no longer throw away jar after jar of spoiled applesauce. I’m sure at KAF Kitchens you’re baking so much that applesauce wouldn’t have a chance to spoil before it is all used, but for my household purchasing the individual cups makes the most economic sense. Another option would be to buy a larger jar and repackage it into half-cup portions to be frozen individually.

Thanks, PJ, for a great-sounding fall scone! They’ll be on the breakfast menu for sure Sunday before church.

Funny, that’s exactly what we do – buy the 4-oz. (actually, I think they’re 3.9 oz. or something odd) cups, and just open when we need a half cup or so. We do a lot of baking, but it doesn’t all include applesauce. I think softening the Flav-R-Bites in the applesauce would probably work; not sure if they’d suck up too much liquid and throw off the flour/liquid balance in the scones, though. Give it a try – you can always drizzle a bit more milk into the scones if the dough seems dry. Enjoy your Sunday breakfast! PJH

10. solsken

I just moved to the west from NH… and I said “Bob’s your uncle” and i got looked at as if i was from another universe.
    Love that you then used it in this post.

And the British version – “Robert’s your father’s brother.” Just learned that recently – if you want to REALLY throw them off out there in the West… :) PJH

11. jtee4short

What happened to the handy-dandy “see this recipe’s blog” button? Does it have something to do with posting at 1:01 a.m.? I had to go back to my email and click on “see how it’s done” to see the blog. And tell your MIL she’s looking fantastic!

Thanks for the reminder – it’s one of those things we have to go in after the fact and add, and sometimes we just space out! All set now. PJH

12. Charlene S.

I usually cook my scones on an unheated baking stone. (They turn out awesome!) But I love the idea of quick breakfasts….so, if I freeze them (off the baking stone) and then put the frozen scones on the baking stone and put in the oven, am I taking a chance of my stone breaking from thermal shock? Or is is OK since the stone is not preheated?

You should be fine, Charlene – the stone and scones will be warming at the same rate. Good luck – PJH

13. argentyne

Oh good! Something new to do with apples! (Not like I need a huge number of options, I love apples.)

But I’m getting about 4 pounds of apples in my CSA this Sunday and this will give me something new to play with. I have 3 types of apples coming, so oh darn, guess I’ll have to make 3 batches. ;)

Or – scones, and Apple Skillet Cake, and Apple Crisp – whoops, we’re already over 4 pounds, you’d better go apple-picking! :) PJH

14. Anna mid-maine

Made these this morning.
    The only reason there are two left is because I hid them.
    Did not have cinnamon chips so I added 4 oz. more of chopped apple. The idea of cinnamon chips does not appeal to me and love the little chunks of apple.
    Did not have apple pie spice so I made my own with cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice and cardamom.
    Did not have sparkling sugar so used regular sugar with cinnamon.
    They were delicious. Thank you for this recipe.

15. erinhibshman

Yum! This looks wonderful. I have some apples from my trip to the orchard that need used up before the next orchard trip this weekend. I am definitely making these for our Monday teacher in-service!

I enjoy having scones in the freezer for my family of 3. We do not eat 8-9 scones all at once, but it is so nice to be able to pull a few out and make hot and ready to eat deliciousness! I will be trying the Flav-R-Bites with these – they are so tasty!

16. Marisa

I’m a baker from Canada. I find that most US baking recipes require less AP Canadian flour and often a little more liquid. I made these this morning — delicious! — and used 1/4 c. less flour & added 1 T water. Scones/biscuits especially have that issue. Unfortunately, cinnamon chips seem to be only available online in Canada or the Pacific Northwest which is where we live. I love that I can premake these, freeze them and bake them at need! My nest is gradually emptying so this allows me to still enjoy the creativity of home baking but not wasting. Thank you for the great recipe.

17. KimberlyD

Since you can freeze them, can I take out only a few at a time to bake? Apple crop in Michigan didn’t do so good due to early spring like weather in March which brought the blooms and than they froze, so apples are expensive here.

Simple answer is Yes! You can freeze scones up to 3 months (unbaked) and then bake at will in any amount that meets your needs! Happy Baking! Irene @ KAF

18. Nrstrife112

These scones were wonderful. I learned two things from the blog post: how to make Fresh Apple Cinnamon Scones, and a new expression, “Bob’s your uncle!” Despite spending some time in New England every year, that’s a new one for me and I love it! I blogged about the scones and Bob here: http://sisforstitch.blogspot.com/
    Thanks, PJ, for your always wonderful recipes and your equally wonderful writing!

Thanks so much for the wonderful writeup! I didn’t know any of that about Bob; I’m always happy to learn new things from our readers… And glad you enjoyed the scones, too. PJH

19. cr8zyamy

Put your kitchen wizard hat on PJ I need you to work your magic for me. How would I adapt this to the “magic” mix scone mix? (Did I get that right? The one in the recipe archives.) I’m looking forward to your big “TADAA!”

Amy – You mean Quick Mix Scones? Sub chopped fresh apples for the raisins; add 3/4 cup cinnamon chips; and sub the spices called for in this recipe for the nutmeg called for in the Quick Mix recipe. Ta-daaaaaaaa! :) PJH

20. glpruett

A quick update, PJ. I made these scones last night, froze them overnight and then baked them this morning. I used 100% white whole wheat flour, which was great. I used the Cinnamon Flav-R-Bites, soaked in applesauce. They did draw up most of the applesauce liquid, so I added a tablespoon or two of half-n-half to get the texture right. My husband commented: “You’ve outdone yourself with these!”

Thanks, PJ, once again for making us home-bakers look so good to our families!

Thanks so much for reporting back – I’m glad to hear the Flav-R-Bites worked well for you. They do have dynamite flavor, don’t they? And using 100% whole wheat – yes, whole grains CAN taste great! Glad these were a hit in your house this morning – PJH

21. jlhuge

Yeesh, i know if it was my or my wife’s family we would have scoured the kitchen for everything edible and probably found them.

Oh well. At least they got to enjoy them eventually.

Well, they did scour the kitchen – and found the frozen English muffins… they just didn’t know to look in the pantry! :) PJH

22. Margy

Hey PJ, you’re not the only forgetful one. Many a time I’ve had company over and only at the end of the meal realize that one dish never made it to the table! :-O. It’s become a family joke! I now make a list of what I’m serving and check it off as it hits the table!

Lists are a huge part of my day, Margy – too bad I just got too distracted by all the company! :) PJH

23. Rockycat

My 10-year-old made these a few days ago and we all loved the scones – with one exception. She chose to add off-the-shelf butterscotch chips since we don’t have cinnamon chips and we all agreed that they would be MUCH better without the nasty artificial flavor the chips imparted. In fact, they would have been downright great. So my suggestion would be, if you don’t have the cinnamon chips or don’t want to use them, just skip the whole chip thing. The scones don’t lack without them.

The other lesson for my kid was to choose your apples carefully. I gave her the choice of Red Delicious or Jonagolds, the types I had in the house. She opted Red Delicious, definitely not what I would have chosen. So today we learned that some apples are better for eating, others are better for baking. I could tell her all I wanted, but finding out for yourself is the best lesson. The scones are still pretty good, though.

A teaching moment, eh? Experience is the best teacher, for sure. Glad they’re still pretty good! PJH

24. Erin

These look soooo yummy! And I know they will be since this is KAF. Love all the recipes from you guys. I was just wondering if I could substitute Coconut Oil for the apple sauce? And if so, should I warm the oil to a liquid state and, finally, should I use the same amount of oil as I would apple sauce? Thanks!!
    Hi Erin,
    For these scones, the applesauce is pretty key for flavor, so we’d say leave it in. But you can experiment with coconut oil in some of the other scone recipes and let us know how it goes. ~ MaryJane

25. so12mo

I have made three batches of these scones, they are a huge hit. They make the house smell heavenly. I made the last batch right before my son’s tuba lesson… his tuba teacher couldn’t resist! This is definitely going in my favorite recipe stack.

So nice of you to share with the tuba teacher! (You know, I don’t think I’ve ever typed the words “tuba teacher” before – thanks for the opportunity…) :) PJH

26. tracey67

These are delicious!! I love that they can be baked straight from the freezer — it makes it so easy to get something on the table quickly in the morning! Because I love nuts, I reduced the cinnamon chips to 2 ounces and added 2 ounces of chopped, toasted pecans and thought the combination of apple, cinnamon and pecans was great. I also omitted the sugar topping and made a quick glaze from butter, brown sugar, vanilla and powdered sugar. Excellent!

27. palmerchristy

These are so much fun to make and extremely delicious. I will be more careful with my sugar on top. The excess that fell off burned on the pan and on some edges of the scones. My 4 children (4,7,12,14) and 1 husband loved them.

28. cr8zyamy

Thanks PJ
    I’ll be mixing up a variety of scones Friday night for a Brunch tailgate on Saturday. My thought is sweet or savory, take your pick, apple cinnamon, cheddar chive and bacon, or orange cranberry. I’ll let you know how they go over. I will be subbing in some of the Maize high fiber for added oomph.

29. stephanie

I want to make these for an office breakfast but I have a coworker who cannot have cane sugar but can handle maple syrup and such…. what would be the best way to substitute with maple syrup? Thanks…
    You may use maple syrup or honey in place of the sugar but only use half the amount. For this recipe, add 2 1/2 Tablespoons of honey or maple syrup and add it along with your liquid. You will have to reduce the amount of liquid by approximately 1 T. If you are choosing honey, you may want to add a pinch of baking soda to the dry ingredients for leavening purposes and watch the bake as products with honey tend to bake faster! You may reduce the oven temp by 25 degrees or just keep a watchful eye. Have fun and I know they will appreciate it! Elisabeth

30. Sami

I plan to make these ASAP after I go apple picking today! I know they’re best warm but I plan on gifting a few (after being baked) to a college student without an oven. How should she go about making sure she has the same fresh scone experience?
    She could wrap them in foil and pop them in a pre-heated oven set at 350 degrees for about 15-20 minutes. She will love them! Elisabeth

31. "Lauri @ MyPinnedLife"

I’m preeetty sure I am long lost family member. I expect to be invited to next year’s get-together! :) Seriously, great recipe! I just so happen to have a bag of apples, so I might be making these scones. I love scones and these look so good. Perfect with a cup of coffee.
    I do not think anyone likes scones as much as I do. I love to dunk them in the coffee. Elisabeth

32. royalmomness

I’ve made these twice with terrific results. I really love the technique of freezing first. I made one change because I just could not find cinnamon chips locally. I added toffee chips/bits in place of the cinnamon chips, and the kids call them “caramel apple scones”. Delicious! Thanks for a great recipe.

33. lavenderbliss

Thank you for the recipe. These tasted incredible and I was amazed they were so easy to make. This is the first time I’ve ever made scones. I used fresh ground whole wheat flour and just left out the cinnamon chips. The only thing I think I’d do different is freeze the dough a bit before trying to slice it into wedges and separate the pieces. I think it’ll make it easier. I had a bit of trouble with that part.

34. CaityC

These were very good, but I’d like more apple flavor next time I make them. I was thinking about adding some boiled apple cider to the dough. How much, if any, would you recommend?

I would start with 1-2 teaspoons, the boiled cider is quite strong!-Jon

35. J

Made these today and they were amazing! I couldn’t find cinnamon chips at any of the grocery stores by my house, so I had to google how to make my own. Found a recipe that I wasn’t quite sure would work, but I tried nonetheless. These scones were so good! As I am notorious for altering recipes, I added more apple than this recipe called for. Not disappointed and will definitely make them again! Thank you!

36. Jazmine

The scones I made had more of a cake texture.. wasn’t flaky at all!! What did I do wrong???!!!!

For cake like scones, cut in the butter so the pieces are all very fine. For flaky scones, leaves some butter bits larger – like the size of dimes and you’ll get the flaky texture you expected. Happy Baking! Irene@KAF

37. November9

Hi there!!
    I don’t think I can find “cinnamon chips” in Brazil. At least where I leave. Could I use just plain cinnamon?
    Thanks!

We also recommend replacing the cinnamon chips with butterscotch chips if you have them. If you don’t have either, just leave them out and add an additional teaspoon of ground cinnamon to the dry ingredients in the beginning. That would give them plenty of cinnamon kick! Kim@KAF

38. Brianna

I had such an issue with the moisture in these. I had to add nearly an extra cup of flour for the dough to hold together.. I have no idea what went wrong as I followed the directions and ingredients as listed.. Maybe my apples were extra juicy? No idea but after finally getting the right consistency I continued with the recipe and baked them for 23 minutes and they came out beautifully! They are beyond delicious too and I am definitely making them again.

Yes, that’s very strange, isn’t it? Did you use King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour? Other flours with lower protein will require you to use more to obtain the same dough consistency. If you used KA AP, then I’d assume your apples must have been extra-juicy, as you suggest. Glad they worked out, anyway – enjoy! PJH

39. Sharon

I usually make my scones without eggs. All the recipes I have don’t have eggs but use both baking soda and powder. Why would it use both? Does it have to do with the fact that there is no eggs?

Eggs are often used in quick breads for binding…holding ingredients together…and in the case of beaten egg whites may also provide rise or leavening. This recipe that uses whole eggs may be more cake-like than flaky, so the eggs/liquid probably help with that. Baking soda and baking powder are both leavening agents that provide rise. Happy Baking! Irene@KAF

40. luvpyrpom

Too funny to see the pic! I just made these a couple of days ago. What I did was made the recipe, formed into a disk and froze it for future use. Then when I feel like having some, I just take it out of the freezer, cut it into triangles (have to use a cleaver for this part), and pop them in the oven. I’ve also formed them with the scoop and froze them individually so I can make smaller batches. I love your website and your recipes!

1. Susan Reid

Try cutting your disk before you freeze it. Won’t need the cleaver that way; you can pretty much break off what you want to bake. Susan.

41. Bernadette

Have had a taste for apple cinnamon anything and found this recipe among my bookmarked pages. I am definitely going to try them but wanted to make them in my mini scone pan rather than the larger size and was wondering how long I would bake them. Haven’t found a KAF recipe that I didn’t like!

This recipe really is a wonderful one. Please check after 10-12 minutes when using the mini scone pan. Enjoy! Elisabeth@KAF

42. bridget

these were delicious!!! all i had was cinnamon applesauce so i used that and i also had a bag of cinnamon chips that was beckoning to be opened :)
    this was the first KAF recipe i tried – so easy and they came out perfectly! A friend asked me what bakery they came from :)

Bridget, welcome to our recipe site – so glad you enjoyed those scones. And thanks for “inviting” us into your kitchen; we’re looking forward to sharing LOTS of good recipes with you! PJH

43. Julie

Just wondering how long these can be kept frozen before baking them? How long before the baking powder loses its’ lift? Thank you!

Julie, I wouldn’t let them wait longer than a couple of months in the freezer, OK? Good luck – PJH

44. Jerrie

I’d love to try this recipe but I’m off gluten. What adjustments would be needed to make the scones with KA’s GF multi-purpose flour? I’m hopeful it’s possible and you have the magic formula for the GF.

You may try substituting the GF for the all purpose flour 1:1. Blend 1/4 t. of xanthan gum (per cup of flour) into the dry ingredients. That may be all it needs as far as adjustments. Also, allow the dough to sit for about 15 minutes before baking. Enjoy! Elisabeth@KAF

45. Bill Trapp

Made these Christmas Eve, subbed butterscotch chips (no cinnamon chips in the pantry) and used my own (googled a recipe) apple pie spice. My freezer is full and won’t hold a baking sheet so I left the dough mass in the mixing bowl, covered it with press to seal and kept it in the fridge overnight. This morning I shaped and baked the scones per your recipe. Our neighbors jumped with holiday glee when I took them warm scones to go with their coffee. My wife, in holiday mode, ate four scones with her coffee (she normally eats one!).

Cinnamon chips may make them better, but the results I got may not be improved upon.

Bill, honestly, I usually use butterscotch chips in place of cinnamon – I’m just a major fan of butterscotch. So, whatever floats your boat… Thanks so much for sharing your enthusiasm here, and tell your wife the calorie counting doesn’t start until Jan. 1, so go for it! :) PJH

46. Cathie Scanlon

These sound delicious, but I’m wondering if there is any way to lighten them up a bit. I am a Weight Watcher and these are about 7 points for one, too much for a snack. The butter and sugar are two items I usually tinker with to get the points lower. Any suggestions? I use Splenda most times in place of the sugar, but butter is harder to replace. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Both butter and sugar are pretty important to a scone, Cathie. You can try using a solid coconut oil as another option for the butter and you can try reducing the sugar by 1/4 and see how it works for you. Jon@KAF

Cathie, please call our hotline, 855-371-2253. I think this challenge is better suited to a back-and-forth dialogue. One suggestion I do have: simply make smaller scones, by cutting each wedge in half before baking. That size would be better suited to a snack, anyway. Good luck – PJH

47. Jenny Stephens

I made these Scones for a Committee Meeting early one Saturday Morning thinking perhaps I would have left overs for Sunday Morning. No such luck, they were all eaten and the raves were just super. One great recipe!!!!

48. Jennifer E.

I just found this recipe and must say, what a find it is! Delicious scones that were so easy to make! I even decided to make another batch of them after completely the first one because I knew they’d be a big hit in my office. This recipe is definitely a keeper!

49. Elisabeth

Living in Germany where we unfortunately don’t have a “scone-tradition”, I’m more than glad to have discovered the recipe for these divinely tasting scones. As for the calorie counters: I completely omitted the sugar topping and substituted part of the sugar in the dough by stevia so the delicious taste of the apples is not covered by the sweetness. This recipe is absolutely perfect for a pleasant autumn tea.

50. Anne

These were terrific. Over the past 2 days I have made and frozen, uncooked, the apple cinnamon, cranberry orange and savory bacon cheddar chive scones for Thanksgiving weekend. My husband and I decided we ought to test one of each this morning, just to make sure we wouldn’t disappoint our guests. So while I was preheating the oven to 425 convection/bake mode (as opposed to true convection -never sure which to use) I brushed the tops of the scones with cream. Once the oven was preheated, I popped them in and set timer for 20 minutes. I wanted to put the sugar on the sweet scone half way through cooking because I was worried it would burn if the scones were in for 45 minutes. Guess what? They were done at 20 min! In fact the sweet scones were a bit over done. They were great. Glad I tested.

Your guests are in for a big treat, Anne! Glad you caught your scones in time. Check your convection oven manual to see what “bake mode” involves, but I suspect that reduces your oven temperature by 25 degrees, which helps make sure baked goods don’t bake too much on the outside before they are done on the inside. Have a wonderful holiday! Barb@KAF

51. Lindsey

I have made these before and absolutely loved them. I want to make them for thanksgiving. Could I leave the in the freezer for two days before hand (either baked or just the dough)?

Sure, we freeze unbaked scones allllll the time. Just bake right from the freezer and you can have scones anytime! Jon@KAF

52. zabor ilenta

Nice post. I learn one thing on totally different blogs everyday. It will always be stimulating to learn content material from other writers and follow just a little one thing from their store.

So many blogs… so little time! Laurie@KAF

1. Susan Reid

Certainly. Start with this recipe, adding the cinnamon to the dry ingredients and chopped apple (a firm cooking apple like Granny Smith will work best) with the wet ingredients. Susan

Sure, Gert – you’ll want to bake them a shorter amount of time, I suspect. Start testing with a toothpick around 12 minutes, maybe? Good luck – PJH