- In the bowl of a food processor, combine the sugar and vanilla and pulse for 5 to 6 seconds until well combined.
- Coarsely chop the semi-sweet and milk chocolates and add them to the bowl. Pulse in 10 second intervals until until finely ground and combined with the vanilla sugar.
- Add the dry cocoa and salt, pulsing again until everything is well mixed. The mix will be slightly coarse, like brown sugar. Pour into a large glass or plastic jar for storing.
- For each cup of hot chocolate, combine 1/4 cup of mix with 8 ounces of hot milk. Stir until all of the chocolate is melted. Top with whipped cream, marshmallows or your favorite topping. Makes 24 8-ounce servings.
- Store airtight for 6 to 9 months. Excellent for holiday gift giving. Try packing in pretty mason jars tied with bright ribbons. Be sure to add a card with the mix directions.
Tips from our Bakers
- This mix makes a rich dark chocolate, well suited for adult tastes. For kids, try reversing the ratio, using more milk chocolate and less semi-sweet. Feel free to create your own custom blends.
- Double Dutch Dark cocoa is a test kitchen favorite, but you can use any unsweetened baking cocoa, dutched or natural.