- Mix and knead together all of the ingredients — by hand, mixer, or bread machine — until the dough is smooth and supple, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Transfer the dough to a lightly greased bowl, cover the bowl, and allow the dough to rise until puffy though not necessarily doubled in bulk, about 60 minutes.
- Preheat your oven to 350°F. Grease a 8 1/2" x 4 1/2" loaf pan and set it aside.
- Transfer the dough to a lightly oiled work surface, and shape it into an 8" log.
- Place the log in the prepared pan, cover the pan loosely with greased plastic wrap, and allow the bread to rise for about 1 hour, or until it's crowned about 1" above the edge of the pan.
- Bake the bread for about 40 minutes, tenting it lightly with aluminum foil after 20 minutes. Its interior will register 195°F on an instant-read thermometer when it's done.
- Remove the bread from the oven, turn it out of the pan, and cool it on a rack before slicing.
- Store for 5 days well-wrapped at room temperature, or freeze for 3 months.